PDA

View Full Version : FFRotSS!

Sarcasmorator
06-16-2007, 07:01 PM
So the new Fantastic Four movie is super lame. Except for the Silver Surfer, who is super cool thanks to the combination of Doug Jones and Laurence Fishburne.

DISCUSS.

mr_bungle700
06-16-2007, 07:19 PM
So...how did they handle Galactus? Is he really just a cloud of machines? Because that would be disappointing. I know Warren Ellis did it that way, but he did it to undercut everyone's expectations of what Galactus is. Doing that in the film would be pretty silly, and I imagine it would take away a lot of the impact of using him in the first place.

Calorie Mate
06-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Someone once told me Silver Surfer is involved in one of the best comic book stories ever, but I generally dislike Fantastic Four and never looked into it. Is there any truth to this at all?

Sarcasmorator
06-16-2007, 08:02 PM
No, he's just a cloud of gas — it actually looks pretty cool, but nothing like any depiction of Galactus I've seen. No lines, either.

Savathun
06-16-2007, 11:05 PM
I probably won't bother seeing it. I thought about it, but I went and saw Waitress instead.

I just hate every one of the actors/characters. And if there's no interesting Galactus, there's no reason for me to care.

Red Hedgehog
06-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Waitress was a cute movie. The original Fantastic Four was an awful movie and by all acounts this one was too.

Sanagi
06-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Notice to film producers - Galactus is a huge purple guy who wears a hat shaped like the empire state building. Period. If you're afraid audiences won't take that seriously, you shouldn't adapt his story to the big screen.

Guy
06-17-2007, 04:47 AM
I'll probably see it, but only because a) It's free for me because I work at a theater, and b) The only other movies currently playing are Pirates of The Caribbean and Surf's Up (which I have already seen and greatly enjoyed), Nancy Drew (NO), and Ocean's Thirteen (meh).

Galactus is just a cloud of gas? Does the cloud at least form a scary face with a world-eating mouth or something?

Sarcasmorator
06-17-2007, 11:15 AM
No, but he looks kind of like some horrible space paramecium when you see him in full at last. It's pretty cool, just nothing like the comics at all.

ProfessorS
06-17-2007, 01:21 PM
C'mon guys, now X-men 3 is a bad comic book movie. This isn't. It's actually fun to watch and doesn't make me want to do a facepalm every few minutes. I think it has to do with the fact it doesn't take itself that seriously.

It's nice to see a superhero movie with a minimum of...angst and secrecy surrounding the heroes. I mean, c'mon the FF live in a huge building in the middle of the city and they have no problem doing endorsements. It had some pretty funny scenes too.

I always feel bad for The Thing though. He's permanently stuck in his form unlike say, The Hulk and he couldn't beat The Hulk on his best day either. Sad.

sraymonds
06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
What were your thoughts on Galactus though? And are you a fan of the comics?

ProfessorS
06-17-2007, 05:03 PM
What were your thoughts on Galactus though? And are you a fan of the comics?

Eh don't follow the comics really. But honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing a gigantic man clad in purple and blue armor and a big helmet, but maybe the general public would think he would be a little stupid looking? I can appreciate goofiness in a movie like Fantastic Four. Hell, I wish Dr. Doom talked in third person in the movie too. Plus, since Galactus was introduced at the very end of the movie, they would have to take some time to develop his character. Galactus looking like a giant cloudy vagina and having no personality at all probably works better for the storyline.

Torgo
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
The Hulk and he couldn't beat The Hulk on his best day either. Sad.
The Thing would win at a smiling contest.

Excitemike
06-17-2007, 10:31 PM
The Thing would win at a sadsack contest.

Sarcasmorator
06-18-2007, 02:05 AM
I started thinking about the movie a bit more, and decided to write a review. Here it is, 1,001 words long:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/christabean/silversurferfail.jpg

mr_bungle700
06-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Wait, where's the other 1,000 w-OOOOOOH!

I get it!