PDA

View Full Version : On a Snatcher replay...

ShakeWell
06-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I just started replaying Snatcher after procuring a copy and functional psuedo-Sega CD (read: X'Eye), and I'm astounded how well it's held up. I remembered the voice acting being good, but then again, I was but a lad, and may not have known better. As it turns out, the voice work in Snatcher lays many later games to shame. Not the least of which:

Resident Evil: "Barry... Where's Barry?"
Castlevania: SotN: (You all know, I don't want to get Thread Locked or smacked with the Ban Hammer, but you know it's BAD!)
Night Trap: Well, I guess it's not just VOICE, but... you know.

Anyways, Snatcher... still, in my opinion, the best adventure game ever, and with the bonus of (mostly) decent voice acting. Except the girl who plays Katrina Gibson, she's awful.

Eusis
06-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Meh, at least the first two examples make sense in a way and just paradoxically make the games better, while the third seems to just be trash period. Snatcher needed as awesome of VA as possible, and it's great that it had that even in a time when that was all but completely unheard of.

Also, yeah. Definitely the best graphic adventure I've played.

Excitemike
06-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Wouldn't it make an awesome Wii game?

Jakanden
06-17-2007, 04:44 AM
I replay Snatcher at least once a year since it only takes like 4 to 5 hours once you know what you are doing. It is indeed still an amazing game.

I REALLY wish the fan-made Policenauts translation would finish because I want to play the game in English for once so I can understand what is going on.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Resident Evil: "Barry... Where's Barry?"
Castlevania: SotN: (You all know, I don't want to get Thread Locked or smacked with the Ban Hammer, but you know it's BAD!)
Night Trap: Well, I guess it's not just VOICE, but... you know.

Anyways, Snatcher... still, in my opinion, the best adventure game ever, and with the bonus of (mostly) decent voice acting. Except the girl who plays Katrina Gibson, she's awful.

I think the voice acting for Lunar Eternal Blue is far superior. Try that one.

After replaying Snatcher like 3 times last year. I'm kinda bored of it.

I always thought SoTN was a bad game that took itself too seriously because of the over heroic dialogue. I mean, it's about vampires Richter, VAMPIRES, Dracula of them all. So stop talking like that!

Jakanden
06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I think the voice acting for Lunar Eternal Blue is far superior. Try that one.

After replaying Snatcher like 3 times last year. I'm kinda bored of it.

I always thought SoTN was a bad game that took itself too seriously because of the over heroic dialogue. I mean, it's about vampires Richter, VAMPIRES, Dracula of them all. So stop talking like that!

For the most part, Working Designs games had stellar voice acting and translation. It was one of the reasons they had such a rabid fan base (of which I am a member).

Makkara
06-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Translations, yeah. Voice acting... not so much. They pretty much just used friends and acquaintances, and it shows. The acting isn't horrible, like in Resident Evil and stuff like that, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it stellar. Adequate, perhaps.

Calorie Mate
06-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I still have yet to play Snatcher, but I don't think I'll ever get to play it on the cheap. Perhaps Kojima won't hate me if I emulate it, with the understanding that I'd buy any future Snatcher products? I'm already planning on blowing $700ish for the man's next game, you'd think he'd cut me some slack.

Torgo
06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, but six hundred of that is just a technicality because you've yet to obtain the hardware. It's not his fault that you haven't yet realized that the PS3 is the Future of the Future.

Kolbe
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Wouldn't it make an awesome Wii game?

I'd go for a Nintendo DS port.

Great game. Where's THAT Hideo Kojima now day?

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I still have yet to play Snatcher, but I don't think I'll ever get to play it on the cheap. Perhaps Kojima won't hate me if I emulate it, with the understanding that I'd buy any future Snatcher products? I'm already planning on blowing $700ish for the man's next game, you'd think he'd cut me some slack.

How do you think I play it. By purchasing overpriced at ebay? I'd post a link to where you can download it, but Parish hates that. I bet most of you guys know about emucation and the dot com phenomenon.

There's also emudesc and the .net spanish adventures. For those of you who wish to try MM legends and Tronn Bonne.

And, yes, it's not like we are not willing to blow at least $900 dollars in these guys current products.

Kolbe
06-17-2007, 12:03 PM
How do you think I play it. By purchasing overpriced at ebay? I'd post a link to where you can download it, but Parish hates that. I bet most of you guys know about emucation and the dot com phenomenon.

There's also emudesc and the .net spanish adventures. For those of you who wish to try MM legends and Tronn Bonne.

And, yes, it's not like we are not willing to blow at least $900 dollars in these guys current products.

Same here. I mean, it's not like they made a zillion copies to begin with. I had no choice. Either I played it somehow, or not at all.

But of course, if they release a remake, port or whatever I'll buy it for sure.

Jakanden
06-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Translations, yeah. Voice acting... not so much. They pretty much just used friends and acquaintances, and it shows. The acting isn't horrible, like in Resident Evil and stuff like that, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it stellar. Adequate, perhaps.

I'll concede that. It has been some time since I re-played the original SCD Working Designs games. I played through the PS1 versions of Lunar and Elemental Gearbolt recently which had pretty good voice acting, so it might just be nostalgia.

Squall
06-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Lunar 2 did have some very decent voice acting. Some of their other stuff wasn't anything exceptional, though.
Speaking of Snatcher, there were 2 random voice credits in the, uh, credits. A Fortune Teller Lady and a something else (pizza guy?). I'm pretty sure I've only ever found one of these two.

Tomm Guycot
06-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Come over to my house and we'll play it all the way through one night.

bobservo
06-18-2007, 12:43 AM
For the most part, Working Designs games had stellar voice acting and translation. It was one of the reasons they had such a rabid fan base (of which I am a member).

I wouldn't call the voice acting "stellar." While everyone was fawning over Ghaleon's voice, I thought he sounded like a prissy community theater director.

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 04:51 AM
I wouldn't call the voice acting "stellar." While everyone was fawning over Ghaleon's voice, I thought he sounded like a prissy community theater director.

Someone already said as much above and I said I might be wrong about it.

ShakeWell
06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I replay Snatcher at least once a year since it only takes like 4 to 5 hours once you know what you are doing. It is indeed still an amazing game.

I REALLY wish the fan-made Policenauts translation would finish because I want to play the game in English for once so I can understand what is going on.

That sounds like you've played through Policenauts in Japanese... I have a copy and haven't touched it, because I'm waiting for the translation. What's the point of playing a game rooted in storytelling if you can't read/understand the story? And... how did you do it?

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
That sounds like you've played through Policenauts in Japanese... I have a copy and haven't touched it, because I'm waiting for the translation. What's the point of playing a game rooted in storytelling if you can't read/understand the story? And... how did you do it?

I didn't make it very far so the answer is "I didn't". I just checked it out to see what it was like and because I am Kojima's bitch.

Excitemike
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM

How is that patch supposed to work? Would you have to play it on your computer? My PC is no slouch, but I've had pretty poor results playing PS1 games on it.

Deadguy2322
06-18-2007, 12:46 PM
How is that patch supposed to work? Would you have to play it on your computer? My PC is no slouch, but I've had pretty poor results playing PS1 games on it.

If it is anything like the SEGAGAGA translation, you can rip the PS1 game into an ISO file, then patch it and re-burn it to CD to play on a modded console, if you want.

Makkara
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Using ePSXe, even my old computer (which was a total slouch by today's standards) could run Playstation games pretty well. Just don't crank up the resolution too high, and don't use any fancy stuff, like anti-aliasing.

Excitemike
06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
If it is anything like the SEGAGAGA translation

what.

Details, plz.

Deadguy2322
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
what.

Details, plz.

Search it on 1Up, the main guy's blog is on there. I would provide the link if I wasn't at work right now.

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I think this is it (blocked at work too, but I had it in faves): http://adilegian.1up.com/

Calorie Mate
06-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Come over to my house and we'll play it all the way through one night.

Sure, I'll try anything once. Might be an interesting change of pace from all-night Tetris Attack marathons with the ladies.

Kolbe
06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
If it is anything like the SEGAGAGA translation, you can rip the PS1 game into an ISO file, then patch it and re-burn it to CD to play on a modded console, if you want.

Now THAT's a game I want to try out. Taking out all Sega consoles in a 2D shooter is surrealist.

ShakeWell
06-19-2007, 08:40 PM

I thought I read that you would boot a disc with the patch first, then put the game disc in, but I could be wrong. Either way, it'll require a modded system, otherwise I was told PSeXe would be the way to go. Don't have a modded system now, so that's probably what I'll do.

Also, does anyone else think that if Suda51 does an actual remake of Snatcher, instead of just a radio play, that for the American version Steven Jay Blum (http://imdb.com/name/nm0089710/) should be the voice of Gillian? 'Cause I think that'd be BOSS.

Excitemike
06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Eh. I'm a fan (and that's a cool resume) but I always hear Spike Spiegel in his voice.

He made a pretty good Char, though.

j00ey
06-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Kojima has no more faith in text-heavy adventures, and even though that's Grasshopper's specialty, I'd imagine a Snatcher "remake" to be a full-blown re-imagining that's more of an action/adventure with realtime control and such. Hell, they could probably even rip off Blade Runner's style MORE if they wanted (lots of... neon).

ShakeWell
06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Eh. I'm a fan (and that's a cool resume) but I always hear Spike Spiegel in his voice.

Exactly!

And, Ray (I think), I'm really pulling for a full-blown action-adventure Wii-make. And a slightly re-vamped DS port of the original game. 'Cause that'd be super boss.

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Exactly!

And, Ray (I think), I'm really pulling for a full-blown action-adventure Wii-make. And a slightly re-vamped DS port of the original game. 'Cause that'd be super boss.

Somebody invite Kojima to this forum.

ShakeWell
06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
And Suda51. Hey, so I'm a little fanboy-ish when it comes to Kojima. We're all a little fanboy-ish about some stuff. Right? No? Oh...

Squall
06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe if we build a lego Shagohod or something.

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 09:22 PM
I was a Kojima fanboy until he started to say nonsenses (like the whole PS3 is theatre and Xbox360 is DVD and how games are not art because they aren't impressive years later), which proves that, actually, I wasn't a fanboy after all. Just a regular fan.

ShakeWell
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I was a Kojima fanboy until he started to say nonsenses (like the whole PS3 is theatre and Xbox360 is DVD and how games are not art because they aren't impressive years later), which proves that, actually, I wasn't a fanboy after all. Just a regular fan.

I said a little...

Yeah, all of those statements aren't things I agree with, but I still mark-out something fierce for his work.

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Well, yes. He's still good, but I fear we're losing him somehow.