PDA

View Full Version : Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Kolbe
06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm re-playing it. Man, is it awsome or what? Short but sweet. Incredible action. Things blowing up everywhere! MADNESS!

I'm done.

alexb
06-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I could never survive the level where you have to take out the train. What's the trick there?

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree. With it only being 4 to 5 hours, I have played through around 5 times. The fights are amazingly fun, especially once you get Zero Shift. The soundtrack is also one of the few that I never get tired of (Beyond the Bounds is one of my favorite themes ever).

Kolbe
06-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I could never survive the level where you have to take out the train. What's the trick there?

Destroy everything ASAP. Like most of the game. It can be difficult, but not that much.

Zef
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I got stuck JUST before the train, trying to keep the collateral damage at a minimum (won't be satisfied with anything over a 20% damage rate.) I did attempt the train, but didn't make it very far either.

Peach
06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I had a lot of fun when I rented it a couple years back. Only real problem I remember having with it was the dub. Though the voices were fine, the lines themselves weren't so hot. I found myself thinking of better dialog in my head whenever someone started talking.

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah there are a few groan worthy lines in the game, but the overall story is enjoyable.

alexb
06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Jay-HOO-tee

spineshark
06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I borrowed the game from a friend but only got just past the Vic Viper fight (which was so awesome, not that anybody wouldn't know). I really need to buy it whenever I end up finding a copy.

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I personally think the Nohman fights are the best myself as it turns into a fast-paced Zero Shift battle.

alexb
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I like that theme that plays whenever they cut to a lovingly staged shot of the Jehuty in slow motion.

Savathun
06-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I picked it up used about a month or two ago, so I've been replaying it several times.

I seem to remember it being a lot longer. Weird. Last playthrough, I got zero destruction or casualties in the city level, then had EVERY single LEV get destroyed in the big battle at the end. Do you even get anything special if you get all S's?

My favorite track is probably the Air Battle one on the OST. The way it mixes up Beyond the Bounds is pretty cool. Not so hot on any of the Nohman fight songs, though.

Speaking of Nohman, he's got one of the better lines.

"Come back, Dingo. ...I like you." Yeah, but do you like like me?

Tomm Guycot
06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
The epic 300 guy battle is the best part of the game, and possible the entire console's lifespan.

Calorie Mate
06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I didn't play this when it first came out, still feeling somewhat burned by Zone of the MGS2 Demo. (But damn, what a good demo that was. I think I replayed it, like, 50 times.) Finally, a friend raved about it so much that I borrowed his, and loved it. The game was pretty much what I could ever want out of a game involving giant robot suits.

I really do hope they do a 3rd game someday. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Savathun
06-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, a third game would be nice. I'm not sure where they'd really go with the story, now that Nohman's gone. Probably back to the Earth vs. Mars thing, I guess. Seems unlikely that Elena had the kind of clout to completely negotiate a cease fire, anyway.

Jakanden
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
The epic 300 guy battle is the best part of the game, and possible the entire console's lifespan.

I have yet to get an S rating in that battle

Kolbe
06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I didn't play this when it first came out, still feeling somewhat burned by Zone of the MGS2 Demo. (But damn, what a good demo that was. I think I replayed it, like, 50 times.) Finally, a friend raved about it so much that I borrowed his, and loved it. The game was pretty much what I could ever want out of a game involving giant robot suits.

I really do hope they do a 3rd game someday. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I remember some magazine talking about ZOE3 for PS3 sometime. I have a scan somewhere, but I don't know if it was a hoax or what.

Found it:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/694/psm3zoe32is8.th.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psm3zoe32is8.jpg)

I must say, though, I'd like an Xbox 360 release also, just because I got one last sunday.

JCDenton
06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a friend who keeps trying to force ZOE2 on me, but I haven't been too receptive. It always seemed a bit half-assed, for some reason. I might give a shot now though, since you nice people seem to have nothing but positive opinions of it.

Squall
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
The story felt pretty complete as it were. I skipped this game when it came out due to not really enjoying #1.
EB dropped the price to $10 or so a year or two later, and I figured what the hell. I think I was pissed off at myself for missing it's launch after just the intro.
This game was simply epic, and despite a lack of flow between each new stage, is one of the pinnacles of PS2.

XerdoPwerko
06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Quite certainly, one of my favourite games. Awesome package in all fronts - music, cheesy dub (but in a good way!), awesome action - and the graphics are pretty good as well.
I can finish this one in one sitting if nothing stops me from playing.

So far, it's one of the best 3D shooters out there.

Wonder if ZOE3 will be PS3 exclusive. Really hope not (as you should, Kolbe).

Calorie Mate
06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I hope it is. Why should third party companies let everyone enjoy their games? That's madness.

Vahn16
06-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Now where did that GBA tactics game fall into the story continuity? Did anyone even play that?

locit
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I personally think the Nohman fights are the best myself as it turns into a fast-paced Zero Shift battle.

Man those were intense! I don't even remember what Zero Shift is anymore, I just remember how incredibly nerve-wracking those fights were.

...I'm gonna go find this in a discount bin somewhere...

philliam
06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds like an awesome game. Is this a rare game or can I find a bunch used at Gamestop or something?

Kolbe
06-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Sounds like an awesome game. Is this a rare game or can I find a bunch used at Gamestop or something?

I wouldn't know. I was looking to get rid of Xenogears when I found it by accident. Trade it for $5 and haven't seen it ever since.

Oh, and Zero Shift is the Sub-Weapon that makes you teleport like some Dragon Ball Z character right in front of your oponent.

ecchi squirrel
06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
For awhile ZoE2 was supposedly "rare," but now it shouldn't be all that difficult to find and prices on it have come down a little. Was GameQuest Direct somehow invovled with that as well?

Zone of the Enders 2 is also commendable because it's a completely amazing game that happens to be the sequel to one of the most completely mediocre games ever made.

Red Hedgehog
06-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Yes, word on the street (or rather on internet forums) is that GameQuest Direct reprinted ZOE 2. It certainly explains why they have "new" copies in their online store.

Before the reprint, the game was relatively hard to find, enough that when I saw a used copy for $10 I snatched it up.

Squall
06-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Now where did that GBA tactics game fall into the story continuity? Did anyone even play that?

That was the war for Mars which plays out before ZoE2. Thus why Mars is so screwed up and under control. I think you lose that game by default, too. I never did play it though. Or maybe you play the bad guys, can't say.

Savathun
06-19-2007, 03:07 AM
It's always so hard to tell who the good or bad guys are in this storyline, which is nice. Usually just ends up boiling down to the methods they use to achieve their goals. Good thing Nohman's just completely batshit and evil. Kind of a shame they didn't go into more detail about the whole "will of Metatron" and all.

And besides, if Metatron drove both Nohman and Radium insane, why didn't it make Dingo a homicidal psycho? He's got more exposure to it than anyone, it would seem.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
It's always so hard to tell who the good or bad guys are in this storyline, which is nice. Usually just ends up boiling down to the methods they use to achieve their goals. Good thing Nohman's just completely batshit and evil. Kind of a shame they didn't go into more detail about the whole "will of Metatron" and all.

And besides, if Metatron drove both Nohman and Radium insane, why didn't it make Dingo a homicidal psycho? He's got more exposure to it than anyone, it would seem.

Maybe Metatron itself is harmless, and Nohman and Radium just were drunk with power and because of that they believed the thing had a will of its own.

Kirin
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I think my favorite thing about ZoE2 was that the fighting was just downright balletic. It was relatively easy to control and looked amazing while you were doing it, which is no mean feat in a fully 3D fighting system. It's still the best of its kind I've played.

Peach
06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Screw the Super-Saiyan melee fighting, what I like is the shooting. I was weened on Macross, so it was a religious experience zipping around taking out swarms of mecha with homing lasers. That's also why the battle with the Bahram fleet was my favorite section of the game. Nothing beats taking out battleships while dodging your way through an unceasing barrage of enemy firepower.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Screw the Super-Saiyan melee fighting, what I like is the shooting. I was weened on Macross, so it was a religious experience zipping around taking out swarms of mecha with homing lasers. That's also why the battle with the Bahram fleet was my favorite section of the game. Nothing beats taking out battleships while dodging your way through an unceasing barrage of enemy firepower.

Yup, that's my favorite part too.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Third'd. That level is the thing that stands most vividly in my mind when looking back on this game.

Swordian
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I loved landing on one ship and then firing the Vector Cannon at the next ship in line.

Squall
06-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Something else I don't think anyone's mentioned about the game yet, is that it's got one of the best soundtracks on PS2. And some of the really good songs aren't even on the soundtrack.
IE: either the music from the Train level, or the level right before that where you guard the city. I forget which one, but it was the one I wanted the soundtrack for in the first place.

Secondary note: The level where you're destroying the dimensional engines on those giant battleships just might be my favorite one, mostly due to it feels straight out of Panzer Dragoon. Always a win.

Jakanden
06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I mentioned the soundtrack on the first page, and I agree with your sentiments.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Fuck you guys. I have plenty of shiney new games to play; I don't have time for this urge to replay this game right now!

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Fuck you guys. I have plenty of shiney new games to play; I don't have time for this urge to replay this game right now!

Oh, you will replay it!

philliam
06-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Hahahaha, IT'S DINGO!!!

Positronic Brain
06-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Third'd. That level is the thing that stands most vividly in my mind when looking back on this game.

Fourthed. Landing on a ship's engine and then summoning that huge vector cannon for the first time... It was every single anime dream I'd had during my childhood compressed in a couple button presses. Bliss.

Jakanden
06-20-2007, 04:59 AM
The Vector Cannon was wicked and I remember going "Holy shit that is awesome!" outloud the first time I did that battle.

MechaX
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Now that I think of it.. The Vector Cannon had a lot of fun uses in the game outside of it's required segments.

Like using it in the 300-esque battle when the additional wave of enemy forces come in and you end up wiping out at least half of them. Sidenote: Try it out on hard mode sometime.

Me: Heh. That wasn't so bad! *Just finished up the wave of enemy reinforcements*
ADA: Second enemy wave of reinforcements approaching.
Me: ... You have got to be-
Pilot: GAH! Help me!
Pilot 2: Oh my God!
Pilot 3 through 38: I can't take it anymore!
ADA: LEV destroyed. Pilot has been killed. LEV destroyed. Pilot has been killed...

But anyway...

Use the Vector Cannon to destroy the battle ships... the WRONG way! (Why blow the engines apart when you can just swipe the Vector Cannon blast and blow up two approaching enemy ships at once!)

Using it on Nohman during Dingo's final blow... Oh, good times..

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 09:59 PM
That reminds me: ADA, I kind of fell in love with her. Yeah, yeah. Not only she's an A.I., but a fictional character too... so what?

One of my favorite parts is when ADA says "[...] is a perfect match for you". You know which part (don't want to spoil it).

XerdoPwerko
06-22-2007, 05:28 PM
On the GBA game - I have it. Quite good, actually (though navigating some menus is a bit uncomfortable). The characters are very interesting and the dialogue is quite funny at times.

There should have been a DS version...

On ZOE2... that Battle against the Bahram Armada is absolutely classic. And, of course, the absolutely frantic feeling of dodging random amounts of stuff to get to the back of the ships, then charging the Vector Cannon is pretty much a game-seller.

This, of course, does not mean we should ignore that battle with the train earlier on, or the Zero-Shift enhanced battles later on.
Quite a solid set of great, creative and fun scenarios, overall.

JCDenton
06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
So on all of your advice I borrowed this from my friend and have been having a blast. The fleet battle and the "tons of enemies/protect LEVs" battle are amazing. The soundtrack rocks. The dialogue is hilariously awful. The cel-shading looks great. Still somewhat flawed (why is there no camera inversion option? drives me nuts) but I'm really excited for 3, if it ever gets made. Considering the step up 2 was from 1, I'm hoping the third will be absolutely awesome.

Calorie Mate
06-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, I've decided I need to replay this...problem is, I only ever borrowed it from a friend. Is it really hard to find nowadays? I'd heard it was hard to find a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if that's true or not anymore.

jovewolf
06-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I found it pre-owned at my local EBStop easy enough, so you might want to check there Calorie Mate. That was all of a month ago.

That's if you want to deal with the evil of EBStop of course.

Red Hedgehog
06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Ok, I've decided I need to replay this...problem is, I only ever borrowed it from a friend. Is it really hard to find nowadays? I'd heard it was hard to find a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if that's true or not anymore.

Answered! (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=6184&postcount=27)

Jakanden
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
So I was in the mood to test out a PS2 game on my PS3 to see how well the upscaling works and after looking through my games, I decided to replay this.

Yeah, this game still kicks total ass. This time through I am playing on hard with a fully loaded Jehuty at the start and I am having a blast.

For all those who have not played this, do so now!

Octopus Prime
12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Man, now I've got a powerful itch to play ZOE 2 again.

Damn this Forum and it's crazy-hypnotic powers.

Adrenaline
12-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I have this but lost my save and haven't gone back since, I do intend to though once I run out of new stuff. Which might be never.

Savathun
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
The game's ridiculously short. You can probably beat it in an evening, if that inspires you to give it another go sooner rather than later.

Adrenaline
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't think I've ever beaten a game in one sitting. But yeah, I'll try to keep it in mind.

Jakanden
12-13-2007, 06:01 AM
My first time playing through the game was on easy and I think it took about 5 hours or less. My second time was on normal and took about 5 hours.

So yeah, you could finish this in a single sitting.

Adrenaline
12-13-2007, 07:30 AM
I almost never play for that long though, is my point.

Kolbe
12-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Worry not. Once you retake it, you'll have a difficult time trying to go back to new stuff. ZOE2 is that good.

Riot.EXE
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Best Final Boss Battle EVER.

EVER.

Savathun
08-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm tired, thought this was a new thread and, for a shining moment, thought Philliam had returned.

Also, yeah, the final boss is cool.

Positronic Brain
08-24-2011, 02:30 AM
This reminds me how much fun I had in ZOE2. If the backlog allows it, I'll be sure to grab the HD port next year...

But yeah, boss battles are the best part of ZOE, and they never disappoint. I remember the battle against Ardjet blowing my mind in the demo, and they just kept getting better.

Raven
08-24-2011, 02:55 AM

I totally did. It plays like a poor man's Super Robot Taisen with a very obnoxious gimmick, but is overall a pretty fine Strategy RPG. Lots of story and dialogue, too, with a useful compendium/glossary that I wish Super Robot Taisen games have.

SpoonyGundam
08-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Lots of story and dialogue, too, with a useful compendium/glossary that I wish Super Robot Taisen games have.

Did the OG ones not? I honestly don't remember, but I know the main games have compendiums.

Raven
08-24-2011, 03:14 AM
No, the OG didn't have one (or at least the first one, haven't played the sequel). Maybe since there are onlyoriginal characters/robots, they figure they don't need to have one?

This is pretty much the only advantage Fist of Mars (the ZOE GBA game) had over SRT:OG...when your game is going to mention lots of of characters, factions, robots, and jargons, you better had a goddamned compendium.

Kirin
08-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Thread revival reminds me how much I want ZOE3. So... ZOE:3DS - is it a real thing? I'd much rather have an original PS3 iteration, to be honest, but I'll take what I can get.

Andrew
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd like ZotE3 on a system I actually own. I know some day I want to get a PS3, sure, but my backlog is large enough and my funds limited enough that I'm in no rush. Although at the rate Sony is stripping features out of systems I know the longer I wait the crappier system I get.

Abominable K
08-24-2011, 06:08 PM
PS3 Lite, with no Blu-Ray!

Positronic Brain
08-25-2011, 12:27 AM
PS3 Go, with no Blu-Ray!

Fixed! :p