PDA

View Full Version : December RPG: Disgaea

Parish
11-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Everyone apparently stopped playing FFIII a week ago, so let's get an early start on December's RPG selection. By popular request, it is Disgaea. You can play either the PS2 version, or the PSP version. Both are acceptable!

Disgaea: (Hour/Afternoon) of Darkness
NIS/Atlus/NIS America | PS2/PSP | RPG | 2003/2007

Regale us with tales of maxed-out items and fully-explored item dungeons.

Ben1842
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I beat the PS2 version, but I decided to pick up the PSP version when it came out.

I haven't had much time to play it, but it seems exactly the same so far except it is missing a few buttons. You have to hold square and then use the triggers to move around between units and to find the exit on the item dungeon floors.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff, but I don't think you get to it until the end.

(sorry no tales of Maxed out items or anything sweet like that lol)

cortbassist89
11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Ben, have you gotten to try out the ad hoc wifi battles? I think you can access them after the second chapter or so via a typewriter thing serviced by a Prinny in Laharl's bedroom.

I haven't gotten to yet because none of my friends have PSPs. Also, I'd be interested in hearing how everybody thinks of names for their characters, right now I'm using Shakespearean names and Action Movie Hero names.

Ben1842
11-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Ben, have you gotten to try out the ad hoc wifi battles? I think you can access them after the second chapter or so via a typewriter thing serviced by a Prinny in Laharl's bedroom.

I haven't gotten to yet because none of my friends have PSPs. Also, I'd be interested in hearing how everybody thinks of names for their characters, right now I'm using Shakespearean names and Action Movie Hero names.

Nope, none of my friends would play Disgaea if there life depended on it. lol

Thinaran
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I had the PS2 version, but gave it away because I hated it. I'm just not a big enough stats nerd.

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't play strategy RPGs unless they have overarching political plotlines or music by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata. Bonus if they have both.

I learned this the hard way by slogging through Disgaea a few years ago.

cortbassist89
11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I can't play strategy RPGs unless they have overarching political plotlines or music by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata. Bonus if they have both.

I learned this the hard way by slogging through Disgaea a few years ago.
It's the exact opposite for me... strange... lol

Shadax
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Also, I'd be interested in hearing how everybody thinks of names for their characters, right now I'm using Shakespearean names and Action Movie Hero names.

I name my attack characters after meats (male) and dairy (female), healing characters after fruits, magic characters after desserts, and misc. after vegetables and grain

Mewd
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I love Disgaea. I don't bother with the post-game ludicrous min-maxing and still enjoy it plenty.

Item world is entirely too tedious for me. The silliness of the cut scenes is a huge bonus for me, especially when Atlus did their usual exceptional job.

I name all my Tactical RPG characters after fruits/vegetables, after whimsical words like 'Bungle' or 'Shamble' or after characters from my personal projects.

Rosencrantz
11-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Like I said in the other thread about this very subject, I have a stable of names that I reuse for games like this (mostly Nippon-Ichi games). My male swordsman/warrior is always named Gesselschaft, though.

I finished the main game last week, and I've been doing some level grinding while watching TV since then. So far I've been abusing the invincibility in level 5-3 and increasing the enemies' levels and then combining them into a single monster. I can get my characters easily to level 100, in about one battle or so, and it takes me a few more battles to get to about 150, but after that it really starts to slow down. They say that Cave of Ordeals 3 is the next great spot to level for a loooong time, but I can just barely beat the stage with my entire team... I'm nowhere near ready to have my characters level up quickly there.

Ahh, to see those digital numbers rise.

Mightyblue
11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I, uh, got my main party of ne'er do wells up to level 1300 or so. Then I realized that I'd probably need double that just to attempt the last couple extra bosses and gave up. To preserve my sanity, if little else.

Rosencrantz
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I, uh, got my main party of ne'er do wells up to level 1300 or so. Then I realized that I'd probably need double that just to attempt the last couple extra bosses and gave up. To preserve my sanity, if little else.

What was your post-level 200 strategy?

Mightyblue
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't even remember anymore. I probably just grinded the hell out of one of the Cave of Trials levels, and it's been years since I've played the game.

I probably also repressed those memories, lol.

tungwene
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm debating whether to try to complete my old save file or start a new one. I had no idea what I was doing the first time through and just didn't have the heart to finish it from where I was. Damn you, Parish, for picking this title. I'd sworn I'd never touch this game again! Either way it'll have to wait until after my finals are over.

shivam
11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
this game killed three separate ps2s i had. never again.

MCBanjoMike
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I am the only person so far who is happy that there will be Disgaea! I'm playing the good old PS2 version, which I managed to get a hold of once the second printing came out. As far as I can tell, I'm about half way through the main story at something like 25 hours of game time. I played a ton of this game over the first few days, but after that I got my 360 and my poor PS2 has languished since...

So, newb question: can you transmigrate story characters like Laharl? Should you? I've TM'd a few characters so far, one of them twice (my sorceress type French maid now has spells for all 3 elements), but so far I haven't mucked about with the protagonist too much.

Parish
11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
So, newb question: can you transmigrate story characters like Laharl?
Yes, it makes them stupidly overpowered.
Should you?
The point of the game is to be as stupidly overpowered as possible, so... yes. Just be careful, though -- your characters reset to level 1 upon transmigration, so they're relatively fragile for a little while. You probably don't want to transmigrate Laharl and head immediately into and end-of-chapter battle, for instance. (Although once you start earning crazy awesome weapons this becomes less of an issue.)

widdershins
11-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I am tempted to join in on this, but I dunno.

I don't really have the time to crazy grind, and while I could probably get through the main storyline pretty quickly, the lure of the item worlds always sidetracks me for hours at a time.

...I was just thinking about trying out FFXII too... now I have to sit and think a bit.

Ben1842
11-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I am tempted to join in on this, but I dunno.

I don't really have the time to crazy grind, and while I could probably get through the main storyline pretty quickly, the lure of the item worlds always sidetracks me for hours at a time.

...I was just thinking about trying out FFXII too... now I have to sit and think a bit.

I love Disgaea, It's one of my favorite games ever. But play FFXII first. You'll thank me later.

Balrog
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
One playthrough of Disgaea is enough for me. Maybe I'll give FFXII another shot and quit badmouthing it.

reibeatall
11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I got about 3 or 4 hours into this game when I tried to play it a few months ago. I'll throw it in, but I'm not promising anything.

Merus
11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I won't be able to access Disgaea until well after the fun club is over, so I'm going to join in the apparant revisiting of FFXII, I guess. I do have Disgaea 2 here, though?

TheSL
11-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Is it bad that when I played through the game the first time I never transmigrated a character and did minimal item dungeon runs? Did I just make the game harder for myself by doing so?

Mewd
11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I went through the game my first time without transmigrating or doing Item World at ALL, (Besides the part where they force you to) so I don't really give much credence to all the arguments that Disgaea is inaccessible unless you grind for forty hours.

Going without Transmigration made the last two levels ridiculously difficult, though. Besides that, it really wasn't that big a deal. I really recommend that you transmigrate your units into their upgraded forms as soon as they have enough mana for a decent transfer ratio.

Also, I suggest focusing on one gender when it comes to custom units. Unless you plan on having one of each. Unlocking new classes in the first game seems to hinge on the gender of units.

Disgaea 2 had a much better battle engine and fixed the annoying parts of Dark Congress and unlocking new classes, but the story and localization weren't quite as good as the original. I still like it way better than the vast majority of JRPGs, though.

LORD ZENNON'S ONLY DAUGHTER. HMPH.

THAT'S JUST NOT MY STYLE.

tungwene
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I went through the game my first time without transmigrating or doing Item World at ALL, (Besides the part where they force you to) so I don't really give much credence to all the arguments that Disgaea is inaccessible unless you grind for forty hours.I was playing it that way too but I was getting frustrated because I kept getting this 'you're playing it wrong' vibe because I didn't have a Level 3,500 Laharl that I had transmigrated eight times on the first playthrough. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

widdershins
11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I love Disgaea, It's one of my favorite games ever. But play FFXII first. You'll thank me later.

Done (so I'll stop posting here about it after this). I'm loving it so far, but why OH WHY can't I change the camera controls?!

/rant

Perhaps the most vexing thing about Disgaea is deciding what voiceover to choose. The repressed Japanophile snob in me says "Japanese voices", but it is too hard to pass up the super cheesy voice acting they did here in the Americas.

I'm-a call you Mid Boss

Maigo
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, it makes them stupidly overpowered.

The point of the game is to be as stupidly overpowered as possible, ...

This is a game where there's always a bigger fish. It's as hard or easy as you want it to be. After passing Episode 1, you can always go back and go RARRR all over everything, if you wish.

Playing Godzilla is fun a few times, but mostly you're motivated to go for the bigger fish. There really is no time that you are ever overpowered unless you beat the final, final, final bosses.

Is it bad that when I played through the game the first time I never transmigrated a character and did minimal item dungeon runs? Did I just make the game harder for myself by doing so?

See above. I'm not sure if you made it harder, but I think certainly it was less fun. When you transmigrate, say, your healer into a mage, the result is something more fun. The game designers went out of their way to make transmigration a fun grind. By allowing you to go back to earlier stages without penalty, you can re-fap back up to your original strength back in 30-60 min.

In my 1up blog, I've summarized all above in a single word many times. Disgaea is simply faptastic.*

(*Referring to the grind. Not Jennifer.)

MCBanjoMike
11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I took the plunge this morning and TM'd Larahl for the first time. He's back to level one, and sadly he lost his Overlord's Wrath skill (I was in the mid 30's when I did it), but I'm confident he'll be back and stronger than ever in no time. He's already back up to level 16 or so, so I'm sure that he will be a force to reckon with before long.

I agree that transmigrating is a lot of fun. Mostly I've made some fairly logical moves, adding spells to my mage by switching elements or upgrading a fighter from one class to another. I want to switch my healer over to something else soon, but it takes her for freaking ever to gain levels since she, you know, heals stuff. I just gave her a nice HP boost (from ~300 to ~800 using my latest muscle item), so hopefully I'll be able to keep her near the action where she can get some team-up kills soon. She's easily 10-15 levels below my main characters, even though I use her in every fight.

What about the Assembly? I'm finding them to be a bit of a pain, honestly. All the fun tricks (like add an extra counter or movement point to your characters) are unlocked WAY before I'll ever get them approved, which annoys me. You're supposed to be able to fight them to change their minds, but it looks like that won't happen for a good long time, since they are all way over my level at this point. Every once in a while you'll get a vote that's close enough such that bribing becomes a reasonable option, but I find that's fairly rare. Most of the time I just get vetoed into the ground and reset so I don't lose my mana points. (As an aside, I appreciate how quick and easy it is to get back to the title screen and reload a saved game. It's almost like they EXPECTED you to do it often...)

What else? Item world bores me to tears. Not going back there unless I have to. Also, I love the way that most maps are offer unique and outrageous challenges to overcome. The first time I played through the chapter where Laharl offers up his job to anyone who can defeat him, I almost died laughing when I saw the 50 or so monsters waiting for you in the forest. I still love that level.

Anyway, I'm glad that the Fun Club has prodded my back into playing this game. It's silly, but challenging and fun.

djSyndrome
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I've tried twice to get into Disgaea, and it's failed to keep my interest for more than an hour each time. Someone tell me it gets more interesting after the first few hours and I might give it another spin as a rental.

Balrog
11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I've tried twice to get into Disgaea, and it's failed to keep my interest for more than an hour each time. Someone tell me it gets more interesting after the first few hours and I might give it another spin as a rental.

I like Disgaea. It doesn't hold a candle to FFT but if you make a meta-game out of some of the facets it makes it 10x enjoyable. For example, some of the battles can be viewed as puzzles by completing them really easily by manipulating Geo Symbols and Geo Panels. The characters and the dialogue make the game kinda fun too.

shivam
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
the panels are my favorite part of the game.

Paul le Fou
11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Once again I miss a month's RPG by playing it just a few months earlier. D:

I used whatever random sounds came to mind for names. I had all-stars like Twatson and Crumb, Bipple, Bop and Durp, Mushi, Timbits and Balzac. I re-use these names now whenever I can. The Ol' Twatson and Crumb One-Two is always the most dangerous thing in my arsenal.

As for the difficulty, I can't say. I got addicted to stat-whoring, so I was always way overpowered for the story because I did so much grinding in the item worlds. I can't gauge the difficulty, but I know the boss in chapter one was pretty hard for me before I started said grinding.

Not really spoilers, but just in case people don't want to know that much going in:

Transmigrating: Always do it, but do it when the character is at a higher level and has higher stats than it was last time. Always transmigrate at a higher value than he was before as well (the good-for-nothing -> genius list - never ever move down it, only up) and go up in ranks/classes. I mean, duh, right? For regular characters, base stats and stat growth per level are higher when they're in the higher ranks of their classes, but they also gain EXP faster. I wouldn't do it every time you unlock a new rank, but every few is good. They match their old stats at a much lower level, then reach their old level in no time, then keep on going. The same goes for story characters just without the higher class ranks to worry about it - it has the same effect.

Leveling: There is an ice world, I think 5-3, which is great for early leveling. Everything is invincible except one square. Throw your enemies onto each other and put the resulting level 114ish enemy there, boxing it in. Your dudes will be immortal but you can take out an enemy. A level 1 recent transmigrate will get to about 30 in one kill, iirc. There's a similar map in stage 12 which is good for this as well.

Another good way is the item world. Check the bonus lists - a lot of them have pretty ridiculous experience boosts. Set up a geo reaction or two (your geolord helps to reset the panels if they're no good or if you want to do another chain, or introduce them if they're not there in the first place) and reap the rewards. Also, some pretty nice loot, sometimes.

Post-200 leveling: unlock the Cave of Ordeal and get to stage 3. Play it a lot. That's it, seriously. It's a 3x3 block of enemies just sitting there and the whole board is +150% exp. Then again I never broke 1000 so I dunno how long it lasts, but I was very easily able to get my Majin to 500 to unlock divine majin using that method.

shivam
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
my friends and i played that (post 200 leveling) area so much that we created a mythology about the sacrifices to the purple haired lord of destruction, and the mindset of those who waited in the holy square awaiting their salvation.

i think the kill counter on that level was in the 50,000s by the time we finished.

Mightyblue
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
As for the Dark Assembly, once you start getting into the higher levels with more equipment and stuff, you're not really supposed to bother with the vote. Just kick their butts, since the Assembly members levels vary quite a bit, and at higher levels the level deviation isn't as restrictive or painful. It's always easy to pass more or less expensive item bills if you go the voting route though.

cortbassist89
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
You messed up my hair! I finally had it how I liked it! Now you will know my wrath.

This game is hilarious. Also: I love the Item World. It's great for grinding, and I really just find it fun; so long as I have enough free time to get to a (multiple of ten) floor boss so I don't lose all my progress.

Paul le Fou
11-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Oh! As for the dark assembly: You don't have to fight and win. Bribe a high-level senator to vote for you (or just reset until one does) and then throw the dissenting senators into him. As long as the FOR senator is a higher level than the AGAINST senator you throw at him (which isn't hard once you get a few into him), he remains "for" and you can clear out the board of dissenters. Killing them, iirc, makes them less likely to vote for you later, but this method does not. Also make sure nobody hits the FOR senator, even an enemy's AoE, or he'll turn against.

Sprite
11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I beat Disgaea on PS2, then sold my copy for $70 the second the PSP version was announced. Then a week later the PS2 version was re-released on the cheap. I bet the other guy/girl was pissed.

Anyway, I like these games because if you're willing to put the time in you can make any character you want. I think I had more fun planning out my characters than actually getting them to the end-point, though (well, "end-point," since this game NEVER ENDS).

SamuelMarston
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
So I think I might enjoy this game if I approach it with the idea that the point is to break the game.

I just need to get a PS2 first. :(

MCBanjoMike
11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
So I think I might enjoy this game if I approach it with the idea that the point is to break the game.

I just need to get a PS2 first. :(

Exactly, it's all rather meta. Game the system as hard as you can, exploit every loophole available, then use your beefed-up dudes to take on some crazy odds. If it starts getting too easy, just stop grinding for a while, the difficulty ramps up pretty fast in general.

Rosencrantz
11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
If for some reason you find the game to be too easy, you can always increase the enemy's levels. Or waste time in a high-level Item World dungeon.

PhoenixUltima
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I beat all the post-game stuff by getting Laharl to about level 2000 or so, with a few transmigrations along the way, and then using him to just capture a team of like-leveled monsters, who could then capture monsters of even greater level, and so forth until I got my team of Lv. 9999 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDWMSRbAyE) surts.

MCBanjoMike
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Just to let everyone know that I'm still playing! 'Cause the thread looked pretty lonely. I just found a great new spot for grinding, too, with +100% exp terrain!

Parish
12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I like how the December RPG thread was going strong... until Dec. 1.

Maybe the RPG selection shoulda been Mass Effect?

Ben1842
12-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I like how the December RPG thread was going strong... until Dec. 1.

Maybe the RPG selection shoulda been Mass Effect?

I'm still playing Disgaea, I just don't have much to report because I'm just leveling. (which is basically the whole game)

The story is silly and fun, but not really worth discussing.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it though. :)

Rosencrantz
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm still playing Disgaea, I just don't have much to report because I'm just leveling. (which is basically the whole game)

The story is silly and fun, but not really worth discussing.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it though. :)

Yeah, same here. I finally got my characters to level 200 last weekend and I abused the hell out of the PSP-version-only Foresight glitch to get useful specialists for everybody. Now it's just a matter of grinding in Cave of Ordeals 3, which I'm taking a break from.

As for the story? I played the original game a few years ago, and there's not a lot to say to begin with... I love the Defenders of Earth. Their storyline came totally out of left field and is one of the things I really missed in Disgaea 2.

cortbassist89
12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm in Episode 5 I believe, and I just transmigrated Laharl!

I feel like a real man now. :D

David Holmes
12-08-2007, 03:16 AM
So I saw on the Fun Club listing that Suikoden 1 & 2 were upcoming, and foolishly assumed from the layout of that page that they were coming next after FFT. I was just giving S1 another run and was thinking maybe I'd sign up for these forums and talk about it. So imagine my surprise to discover the next game is... Disgaea.

I bought Disgaea ages ago but never made it very far. It'd been sitting on my shelf untouched for a long time. But I figured, what the hell, I might as well give it a shot.

50 hours later I'm level 173 and just beat the game for the first time. What a blast!

Thank you, Fun Club, for coercing me into playing something other than the game I wanted to play. =D

djSyndrome
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
So, I picked this up over the weekend. Figured I have at least a week until Shivam gets back and tells me what an idiot I am.

Still doing the tutorials. It's possible that my previous [negative] experiences with the Disgaea series were because I didn't pay attention during these, as they are actually quite informative. I'm not sure if I can see myself doing the obsessive leveling that's needed for some of the extra items. I am sure that I'm going to play it through this time around.

MCBanjoMike
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
So, I picked this up over the weekend. Figured I have at least a week until Shivam gets back and tells me what an idiot I am.

Still doing the tutorials. It's possible that my previous [negative] experiences with the Disgaea series were because I didn't pay attention during these, as they are actually quite informative. I'm not sure if I can see myself doing the obsessive leveling that's needed for some of the extra items. I am sure that I'm going to play it through this time around.

Yeah, I only kind of half paid attention to the tutorials, but it turns out that most of that stuff is pretty important. I realized this later on when I got to levels where you have no choice but to throw your party members (or enemies) across various gaps, etc - it took me some time to realize that the throw command was, in fact, critical to succeeding in the game. Use it, abuse it, love it.

I've just made it to a particularly nasty looking map in chapter...11, I think? The whole field, minus a small starting area, is powered up with Enemy x6, and the geo thingamies are VERY far away from my relatively safe zone. Not quite sure how I'm going to make it through this one...although maybe something from one of the demo movies from the title screen could do the trick.

Torgo
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
The whole field, minus a small starting area, is powered up with Enemy x6, and the geo thingamies are VERY far away from my relatively safe zone. Not quite sure how I'm going to make it through this one...although maybe something from one of the demo movies from the title screen could do the trick.
The trick is to try and lure the enemies out one at a time and pick them off. Since they don't actually try to fight you and just camp their starting point, you have no other option and just pray to heaven above that if one of them gets in range and attacks you that your character doesn't counter. (I learned to hate counter attacks very quickly because of battles like this.)

That shit is what pissed me off so bad about the endgame of Disgaea 2.

David Holmes
12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I found it helpful to use weaker characters as decoys. This might just be me though, because my Laharl was ridiculously overpowered and all my other characters were next to useless - Laharl could kill anything in one hit, so I just had to make sure no other enemy got a chance to attack him. I used this in all the hard battles near the end of the game. The dumb enemies will attack really weak characters, even if they could win if they ganged up on a strong character.

Mightyblue
12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I only kind of half paid attention to the tutorials, but it turns out that most of that stuff is pretty important. I realized this later on when I got to levels where you have no choice but to throw your party members (or enemies) across various gaps, etc - it took me some time to realize that the throw command was, in fact, critical to succeeding in the game. Use it, abuse it, love it.

I've just made it to a particularly nasty looking map in chapter...11, I think? The whole field, minus a small starting area, is powered up with Enemy x6, and the geo thingamies are VERY far away from my relatively safe zone. Not quite sure how I'm going to make it through this one...although maybe something from one of the demo movies from the title screen could do the trick.Ah, another trick you can do is stack trees. Pick a few peeps with high throw stats, pick up a guy with high move, and then proceed to cover said map until you can run up and grab the geo-thingy, thus nulling their advantage. The tree tactic is absolutely essential in the Item World.

MCBanjoMike
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Ah, another trick you can do is stack trees. Pick a few peeps with high throw stats, pick up a guy with high move, and then proceed to cover said map until you can run up and grab the geo-thingy, thus nulling their advantage. The tree tactic is absolutely essential in the Item World.

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at towards the end of my post. I tried it this morning and managed to pull it off, though it took me two turns to destroy the geo whatsits, so half my party got offed in between by overpowered enemies. Thankfully, the AI always seems to go straight for your weakest party members, so I still had enough man/woman/demonpower to take on the rest of the baddies.

ArugulaZ
12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Do I need this game if I already have Phantom Brave? I ask this because I'm indifferent about strategy RPGs... I don't hate them but I'm not overly excited about them, either. PB was reasonably priced but Disgaea, well, not so much.

djSyndrome
12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Do I need this game if I already have Phantom Brave? I ask this because I'm indifferent about strategy RPGs... I don't hate them but I'm not overly excited about them, either. PB was reasonably priced but Disgaea, well, not so much.

I'd say thirty bones for a brand new copy (http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4) is reasonable.

MCBanjoMike
12-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Brilliant. I was just playing a level where every square was either red or green (how festive!) and the red ones were invincible. I had everything in hand, I was tossing enemies into the green zone and killing them while I couldn't be harmed, when I made a mistake and wound up turning the whole green zone red, too. Now every single square in the level had the invincibility status and it was no longer possible to hurt anybody, including the enemies. Real bright of me, I have to restart that one now. >:|

Zef
12-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't have this game (yet) but I thought you'd appreciate this better than I would:

1811 Chain Hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LNKin_WeQ)

That said, a few friends have been insisting on me getting Disgaea. Should I hunt down the [impossibly hard to find anywhere, let alone in this country] PS2 version, or the [slightly easier to acquire] PSP release?

Rosencrantz
12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
If you already own a PSP and you don't have a PS2 copy of Disgaea, then there's no reason not to get the PSP version of the game. It's the same game with a new Etna mode and other new battles in the post-game.

Stiv
12-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I've had this game on my shelf for almost a year now and never played it, so I guess this is a good time. Between this and Eterian Odyssey it's looking like a Very RPG December.

If the game plays anything like La Pucelle though, I'm going to have to put it down after a couple hours. I like strategy games but I don't like them THAT much.

Crested Penguin
12-16-2007, 06:16 PM
La Pucelle was much more primitive than Disgaea. Which is saying something, since Disgaea is still pretty simple, strategy-wise. Basically, the only things La Pucelle has going for it are:
1. Larger sprites for stylish attack animations.
2. A scantily clad angry nun.

djSyndrome
12-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Third time's the charm. Or not.

Sorry, I traded this back in for The Orange Box, which is about 10^8 times more fun.

PhoenixUltima
12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
MCBanjoMike (and anyone else who ends up painting the entire landscape with invincibility panels): you can still destroy an invincible geo unit by throwing an enemy onto it, or it onto an enemy. Very handy in the item world.

MCBanjoMike
12-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I've just made it to my second encounter with Kurtis and it looks like this will be a tough one. 150% enemy boost over the entire map and the the geo whatsits are all far from one another. I guess I'll try to take out two of them on my first turn and hope that I survive long enough to get to the last one - human totem poles ahoy!

ScrambledGregs
12-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I admire and respect Nippon Ichi Software games, but nothing in the world can make me want to play through them. I've gotten about 10 hours into each of them, and around 35 into Phantom Brave, before realizing how much grinding was required, and it just isn't fun at that point for me. I could've spend 100 hours on Disgaea 2, but with that kind of time investment I could do so many other things, so...

cortbassist89
12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I was totally planning on finishing this one, but my new 360 screwed that the hell up.

Rosencrantz
12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm still grinding while doing other things. I have several characters up to level 1000 now, and I beat a bunch of the bonus stages, but now I see that I need to get them up to level 2000 at least to finish the next ones. Oh, and I'm turning everyone into Majins as well, because they are holy-shit-so-much-stronger than the other classes.

Parish
12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Welp this one flopped. Ah well.