PDA

View Full Version : The New Generation is Busted

doc_marten_abortion
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
So, I just got off the phone with Microsoft Customer Service. I'm sending off my second Xbox 360 due to 'mechanical failure.' Before you take this as another extreme, Sony/Nintendo fanboy polemic, know that I'm also sitting on a second Wii. I'm a big fan of Microsoft's sophomore machine and am more upset that I have to play the Wii in order to get a gaming fix than the fact that the $400 machine is going to cost me another $100 for it to work again. Honestly, I haven't enjoyed anything on the Wii since Zelda. Why not hit up the Virtual Console, you might ask, but I don't enjoy playing any of those e-crones...

After thinking about what I just wrote, I realize that I need a life. Thinking about playing something I don't enjoy in order to get a gaming fix is about as sad as a sex addict sitting in the back row of a theater and exposing himself to a group of rosy-cheeked children. I'm going to go outside and enjoy the southern Texas sun.

djSyndrome
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
"Y'know, things break."

-Peter Moore

Jeanie
06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
That is true. I went through three PS2's, well I'm on my third one now, but I'm still on my first NES...

Parish
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I guess Microsoft wants to be more like Sony in every possible way. I could have lived without them imitating the unreliability of their hardware, though.

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think Wii failures are anything close to what's being reported for 360; the situation sounds completely absurd. The mystery is why, if things are as bad as they sound from the forums, this isn't being more widely reported.

I know you're thinking "Well of course, things are never as bad as they sound on forums," but even taking into account the usual amount of whining and exaggeration, the 360 clearly has problems beyond the normal failure rate.

And of course, we won't know if PS3s have issues till people start playing them.

openedsource
06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I guess Microsoft wants to be more like Sony in every possible way. I could have lived without them imitating the unreliability of their hardware, though.

So, X-Boy (the DS killer) announcement at E3 then?

(come on. Who doesn't believe that Surfaces is just a really expensive tech demo for Microsoft's next-gen game hardware?)

Torgo
06-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm still on my first everything.

Well... soon I'll have to get my second PS2, but that's not because it's broken.

Sanagi
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I got a second GBA, but that's my own damn fault(slammed a car door too hard against my jacket pocket). Otherwise I'm doing fine. My NES still works as well as it ever did. Ha ha.

Torgo
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Actually, my bro's NES did eventually go south, but that was a long time in coming. I bought one very late, '93 or '94, when they were like fifty bucks and they were the newer, top loading models. Thing still works like a charm.

thomp538
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
My ps2 strangely seems to have worse loading time than it used to. I don't know if its because I am used to newer consoles or if its just really old now (2001).

Squall
06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I owned 3 bad PS1s, and only had to replace 1 PS2. But my slimline seems to have some problems now, MGS3's codec chat stutters like mad. After a few other annoying complaints, I refuse to buy anything Sony ever again.
I do have to give Sony a hand though, in a war where their primary competitor is Microsoft, they have still somehow managed to become the 'evil' vendor.

My Dreamcast is also on the fritz, but it was purchased 'pre-owned.'

Torgo
06-19-2007, 05:58 PM
My DC is used to. The thing is so noisy I figured there must be something wrong with it. Turns out that along with the screeching VMUs is perfectly normal.

Oh Sega you lovable scamps.

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
My DC is used to. The thing is so noisy I figured there must be something wrong with it. Turns out that along with the screeching VMUs is perfectly normal.
Oh man, I forgot about the VMU thing. How in the world did that get through testing?

Psyael
06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I've never had hardware problems until this gen. I've had warranty exchanges on my DS Lite (dead pixel smack in the center of the screen) and PS3 (cooling issues, fan too darn loud.) I've thankfully been alright with Microsoft's hardware thus far, I've heard they're the worst of the three.

I suppose it goes to figure, though, since I've never had to have repairs done on any console going all the way back to NES until now.

Red Hedgehog
06-19-2007, 06:48 PM
That is true. I went through three PS2's, well I'm on my third one now, but I'm still on my first NES...

I'm still on my first NES, but the third pin connector for it. I'm sure zero-insertion force sounded like such a good idea on paper...

I also have an SNES whose power adapter or internal power connection is shaky and a Saturn whose drive refuses to spin, but those were both acquired used.

Sarcasmorator
06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I've never had a system break down on me. Guess I'm just lucky that way?

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Sarcasmorator, your avatar + "SOMEONE LEFT A BABY" makes you the best.

*ahem* Anyway, our NES crapped out after 10 or 15 years of mistreating it (it helped raise three kids, damn it!), but otherwise my systems have all been ok.

I'm incredibly weirded out that PS3 hasn't had more hardware problems. It's like breaking tradition at this point.

Eusis
06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I've had to get another SNES, another PS1/2, and another Saturn. However, the SNES was merely lost, and at that time used ones were $20, but both the PS1 and PS2 were due to hardware failures. I even sent the PS2 in for repairs and it still crapped out nearly two years afterwards. As for the Saturn: Power pins on it were being screwy, and ultimately had to get a second used... Again, for $20. Then the left shoulder button on my analog controller crapped out, geez.

Also, my original DS speakers were sounding a bit off at times, I think it was because it fell once and hit an edge /right/ where one of the speakers was. Used that as an excuse to get a DS lite, then noticed when comparing the two that the DS screen wasn't as sensitive.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the SNES seems to have the strangest screwups for parts breaking. I've heard of them being made incapable of playing sound or displaying color, the closest I've heard of for other consoles were the grid patterned black dots on the Wii when the GPU started to die.

Sarcasmorator
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Sarcasmorator, your avatar + "SOMEONE LEFT A BABY" makes you the best.

Thanks! Pretty much everything about the Grand Galactic Inquisitor is endlessly amusing to me.

Balrog
06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I've never had to to replace one of my systems except for my NES that was stolen when I was a kid. I do however get a kick out of seeing red ring of death 360s at department stores.

locit
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh man, I forgot about the VMU thing. How in the world did that get through testing?

Are you kidding? It's like the most awesome sound ever! I have four controllers and eight VMUs, and whenever I turn on my DC it's like a sweet, sweet symphony of BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Potato
06-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I ended up with two NESes by the time I was ten because one would never work properly; it would flash, flash on the title, cut itself off after a time, et cetera. Standard NES problems. Years later I took it upon myself to disassemble it and mess with its innards which resulted in two working machines. I gave one to a friend.

The SNES's power supply hook up broke after my brother and I took it on vacation. It was necessary, we were borrowing a copy of FFIII. It worked, but the connection was so loose that you couldn't breathe on it without it shutting off or resetting. Needless to say, we held our breaths.

My Sega CD broke every month, even when left alone. Piece of crap.

And now my PS2 won't play Rez anymore. Everything else works without issue and the game works on other PS2s. At least I can still play it on the Dreamcast.

tungwene
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I've never had to replace a console. I did sell my SNES to a friend and my PS2 has issues playing certain used DVDs but aside from that it's fine.

Red Hedgehog
06-20-2007, 01:58 AM
The SNES's power supply hook up broke after my brother and I took it on vacation. It was necessary, we were borrowing a copy of FFIII. It worked, but the connection was so loose that you couldn't breathe on it without it shutting off or resetting. Needless to say, we held our breaths.

That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with mine (though it isn't quite as loose). I'm hoping I can just open up the SNES and tigthen something to fix it.

Figure Four
06-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I do remember having to take our SNES to a repair shop when I was a kid. My first generation PS2 broke about a month after the warantee expired. It then proceeded to break when in the mail back to me. On the plus side, Sony sent me a copy of Wild Arms 2 for the inconvenience. I don't think I ever even unwrapped it.

Torgo
06-20-2007, 08:01 AM
On the plus side, Sony sent me a copy of Wild Arms 2 for the inconvenience. I don't think I ever even unwrapped it.
You aren't missing much. It's a rare game that I dislike it so much that I shut it off within ten minutes. That was one of them.

TheSL
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
And now my PS2 won't play Rez anymore. Everything else works without issue and the game works on other PS2s. At least I can still play it on the Dreamcast.

If its one of the blue discs (I can't recall if it was or not) taking some compressed air and cleaning all the dust out of my PS2 made my copy work again.

Jakanden
06-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I've never had to replace a console. I did sell my SNES to a friend and my PS2 has issues playing certain used DVDs but aside from that it's fine.

Ditto. However, I am not an early adopter so I tend to wait for the first generation hardware issues to be fixed before buying.

nadia
06-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I've had remarkably good success with my electronics, knock on wood. The only exception is my iPod Nano, which went into a coma and never woke up. Apple replaced it, though.

jovewolf
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Most of my electronics have survived fairly well, all things considered.

The only systems that have ever died to the point of not working were my PS1, which I took as a sign to finally pick up a PS2, and my PS2 which just recently decided it did not want to read any discs anymore (it already had issues with video DVDs).

My Xbox 360 occasionally will either freeze, which is annoying but mostly easily dealt with and happens mostly when I play Dead Rising which is notorious for that kind of thing from what I hear, or, very rarely, a red ring of death that isn't fatal as shutting off the power will fix whatever the problem is. At this point I just think the thing likes messing with my head as it's my first Xbox ever.

The only other console that ever gave me any trouble was my Nintendo 64, which once managed to give me a blue screen of death. I don't even know how that was possible, but turning off the power and changing the game for a while fixed that too.

Lumber Baron
06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
My N64 broke, from actual physical damage if I remember correctly. I had just bought Majora's Mask, so I needed that thing up and running pronto-like. Put me back $50 if I recall.

Nicholai
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I too have never had a system die on me. My original Xbox hiccups now and then and if I spent more time playing it would probably give up the ghost. I don't argue that Sony has had problematic systems, but my PSX and PS2 still work. I never even had to tilt my PSX on it's side like so many others.

I have been hesitant to join the "next" generation because several of my friends have had 360s that died. One friend is on his third. Microsoft really needs to redisign that thing and try to limit the hardware failures.

Oh, I did have the periodic problem with my NES, but everyone had that problem.

Zef
06-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Coincidentally, next Thursday it'll be exactly one year since I bought my original 360, and currently I'm in the process of getting my fourth. Numbuh 1 died to an ignominous RRoD shortly after I finished the GRAW solo campaign. The refurbished #2 got sent back immediately because it seemed to have gone through a razor-filled mud pile before being packaged (I sent mine in pristine condition, it even had the little plastic covers on its chrome bits.) Contestant No. 3, which I've had for about 10 or 11 months, had a distressing bout of RRoDs just this Monday. Though it has ceased flashing red at me, it randomly locks up and the screen scrambles into something not unlike a colorful chess board.

Fortunately, I'm still (barely) within my warranty, so I can replace it at no cost, and the replacement allows me another three months of service warranty. I do not regret buying the console --it has given me hundreds of hours of new and fun experiences, and I look forward to many other games-- and, as long as the replacement is free, I can put up with a week or two of downtime (I have other options to satisfy me, anyway.) However, as one grows attached to these things, it's sad to see the little white guy go to the great big repair line in the sky. It also makes me worry that it won't last as long as my other consoles have: I could probably dropkick my SNES and it'd work just fine, but how many years will the fantastic fourth have left to live?

bobservo
06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm on my third PS2 so it's safe to say that I'll be waiting to buy a new-gen console, at least until the rumors calm down about red rings and mysterious house fires.

DarkBlueFlannel
06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I had only one problem with my original NES. My brother decided to buy Ghosts and Goblins. He then decided it wouldn't be prudent to wait until the lightning storm ceased to actually begin playing it.

It was a furious three and a half minutes.

We replaced that NES. And I took the, physically intact but internally fried, GnG cartridge as a sign from God to stay away from the franchise. And my brother.

I can't say anything about the new systems, I'm still waiting until I feel like I have enough disposable income to waste on them.

Meg
06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
The only system I've had to replace is my Wii. It strangely crashed on Zelda: TP at the controller warning screen and never could advance past it. It played all other games perfectly, so I don't know what caused that glitch. I even checked it against other copies of Zelda to make sure it wasn't my particular game. Customer service wasn't the greatest on when I explained the problem; the representative kept telling me to clean the disk (even after I repeatedly explained that the game was brand-new, never played (how could it be?), scratch-free, etc., etc.) and there wasn't anything else he could do. I had to call back again, and the next person I got actually believed me and sent all the mailing information. Three weeks later, the unit was replaced with no additional explanation.

I'm still on my launch-day PS2. It still plays everything well enough, but I've noticed that the last-gen PS2 games sometimes take a while for it to recognize. It's really rare, but it sometimes crashes on movies (the ending of BoF: Dragon Quarter froze it the first time :D), or makes music skip (Okami's ending). I periodically take it apart and dust the hell out of it. I am worried that it'll die someday and I'll be forced to get a PS3, though.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Wii hardware concern: The hardware itself boots up perfectly find, but I've noticed that if I go a several days without using it, the first thing I load up, be it a VC game or a channel, takes awhile. Like, thirty seconds to a minute awhile. After that everything loads up as quickly as it should, but it's happened enough times now that I'm wondering if this is all that common. It's not really anything bad, just mildly annoying.

Jeanie
06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Wii hardware concern: The hardware itself boots up perfectly find, but I've noticed that if I go a several days without using it, the first thing I load up, be it a VC game or a channel, takes awhile. Like, thirty seconds to a minute awhile. After that everything loads up as quickly as it should, but it's happened enough times now that I'm wondering if this is all that common. It's not really anything bad, just mildly annoying.

You know, mine does the same thing. Never really thought about that, but sometimes I have to reset the system.

Caithness
06-21-2007, 10:34 PM
The only systems that have never given me any problems are N64, Game Boy Color, and DS. And as I go down the list, you'll see that the problems were rarely my fault.

Game Boy had this thing where vertical white lines at the edges of the screen gradually encroached towards the center.
NES had the same problems as everyone else's, and I learned to deal with them just like everyone else.
Super NES won't turn on any more. I think the problem is somewhere close to where you plug the AC adapter into the system. This didn't happen until a couple years ago, though.
Game Boy Pocket also eventually refused to turn on. Twiddling with the battery connector springs sometimes helped. This happened much sooner than with the SNES.
Playstation, this one was my fault. I transported it home from the hospital with the memory cards plugged in. While lifting it out of the car, I dropped it, and it landed memory-card-down. The controller daughterboard was cracked in half, and the motherboard was also fried. After the repair, it's never given me another problem.
Game Boy Advance was stolen. Not the system's fault, but not mine either. And the screen kind of sucked, anyway.
Gamecube was the most frustrating of all. Ten or eleven months after I bought it, it stopped reading disks. It was still under warranty, but I didn't realize this, and by the time I did something about it the warranty had expired.
GBA SP's internal battery doesn't last very long any more. After playing the DS, though, the SP's light just doesn't do it any more.
Sega Saturn's internal memory battery backup save thingy was dead when I bought it. A replacement battery from an old PC didn't do the trick. Fortunately the cartridge save thingy still works fine. Unfortunately I bought the Saturn just for Symphony of the Night, which kind of stinks.
Xbox itself works just fine, but the modchip I installed for XBMC gets unseated when the inside of the Xbox gets too hot, which is almost every time I turn it on. I just have to wait a while for it to cool down and change back into the correct shape each time.
DS Lite is also pretty irksome. I find this device to be quite shoddily made. The up button has lost its resistance, its bounce-back if you will, and sometimes a game will register two inputs when I only mean to make one. The R button is also starting to lose sensitivity.

My brother's Wii hasn't given him any problems yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time. Judging from my own experiences, I'd say that it's not the current generation of consoles that are busted, but consoles in general. Of course, I could just be unlucky. Or maybe I don't take good care of my stuff?

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
After thinking about what I just wrote, I realize that I need a life. Thinking about playing something I don't enjoy in order to get a gaming fix is about as sad as a sex addict sitting in the back row of a theater and exposing himself to a group of rosy-cheeked children. I'm going to go outside and enjoy the southern Texas sun.

Do you guys think he is actually enjoying the southern Texas sun?.

I've also grown sick of video games. I just did. There's probably no reason other than I'm bored, I feel stupid after 5 minutes of playing a video game, I feel stupid pursuing all that useless knowledge. Useless. Where Gannon came from or that the directions are backwards in Dragon Warrior? Useless. It's just about gathering useless knowledge. It used to be about fun, but that was back in the arcade days, where someone didn't have to be an obsessed freak in order to like video games. Now one has to be a committed consumer and a big spender and an ebay idiot, and quite frankly, I just can't give a damn. Not anymore.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I'll disagree about having to be a big spender. Quality gaming on the cheap has never been easier to find. As dedicated hardware goes, the DS is just about the best thing ever created. And PC budget racks in many stores are filled with games from two, three, and four years ago that are still great and should run just fine on most systems.

Excitemike
06-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Hell, there's Gametap which comes in either cheap or free.

djSyndrome
06-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Or maybe I don't take good care of my stuff?

http://www.itv.ch/images/hammer.jpg

Squall
06-22-2007, 01:03 AM
The great thing about being either patient or poor is that you can get all the crap weeded out for you, then pick up the good stuff for 1/3 the price down the road.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
"You can spend all day in the sun... or you can sit at your computer, and do something that matters."

Eric Theodore Cartman

Coinspinner
08-10-2007, 12:21 PM
The Prime 3 preview froze my Wii... hell, everything but playing a game has caused my Wii to lock up.

ringworm
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
The Prime 3 preview froze my Wii... hell, everything but playing a game has caused my Wii to lock up.
Man I would look into maybe having that replaced...before Wii Gaming Season starts up.

nathan
08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
In 1991 I had a problem with my NES, and I have never heard of it happening to anyone else.

One day I turned it on and all the blacks were now this putrid maroon color. It actually gave me a headache to play it. But we sent it in, and I got it back in about 2 weeks. I do remember Nintendo being very friendly and efficient with their customer service back then.

I've never had any problems since though. But that funky discoloring on the bottom of the SNES always seems to amuse me. Every one I see has a different shade of gross on it's bottom half.

ScrambledGregs
08-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I had a problem with my NES: it was poorly designed so that I tried the same "blow into it, jostle it around when you put it in, or put it in but before you press it down pull it back out a little" method that everybody does.

Oddly, that's also been my sexual technique.

Red Hedgehog
08-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I also had the original Game Boy defect of horizontal white lines appearing on the sides of the screen.

bobservo
08-11-2007, 01:21 AM
"Things break."

- Hitler, 1942