PDA

View Full Version : The Bridge - San Fran's Death Destination

doc_marten_abortion
06-19-2007, 06:34 PM
The documentary is a genre that is fast becoming my favorite genre.

Last night, I watched the newly released "The Bridge." If you have not heard of this film, I'll do my best to sum up what I saw: The Golden Gate Bridge may say that it is the greatest suspension bridge ever built, but you won't hear that it is also the single most sought attraction for suicide jumpers. Men and women come from all over the world to take their last breath as they plummet to the cold waters of the San Fransisco bay. This film explores the phenomenon through the lenses of cameras placed around the bridge, capturing a year's worth of footage and twenty-four suicides.

Within the first three minutes, a portly man climbs over the railing and falls to the water. This is not a landscape shot with a small splash; the shot is so close that I was able to read the embroidery on his ball-cap. Each of the men and women who were filmed jumping have stories that friends and family members tell that describe their desires to take their own lives.

shivam
06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
one of my closest friends decided to learn to fly off of that bridge.

Mazian
06-19-2007, 10:06 PM
For whatever reason, pole 69 (http://sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/10/30/mn_suicide30_loc_tt.gif) is the most popular location.

p-natsu
06-19-2007, 11:02 PM
I remember when I was working at ECC and this movie opened.. It was pretty interesting to see people's reactions to the film. While I think it's an interesting idea, I'm not so sure it was one of those things that needed to be executed. Kind of like psychological experiments that may have interesting results, but aren't humane or moral to perform.

For instance, did you know he lied about his intentions to get film permits at the site? While this doesn't bother me all that much, the fact that he also interviewed family members and friends of the victims without full disclosure really chaps my hide. The families knew they were being interviewed about the suicide of their loved ones, but they weren't told Steel had actual footage of them dying. Supposedly, the secrecy was meant to keep word from getting out that the bridge was being filmed, as to prevent people from seeking out the cameras in order to become immortalized in their deaths. That's understandable, sure, but I have to ask why filming the actual deaths of people was even necessary? Some people claim that everyone should see someone dying in their life time. Having seen someone die, I have to disagree. If you have to witness the death of someone, so be it, but I don't get why it's necessary for <i>art</I>'s sake to see it.

And a part of me has got to wonder -- what about all them dead people? Personally, if I were to plan a suicide dive off the Bridge, I'd want it to be a private experience. If I don't want my loved ones watching me, I sure as hell don't want people to be watching me on film long after I'm gone. And it's not like they can deny Steel after the fact, either.

In any case, I don't care that this film was made, and I'm not asking for it to be banned. I'm just saying (in a long roundabout way) that I didn't watch it.

=D

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 11:28 PM
And a part of me has got to wonder -- what about all them dead people? Personally, if I were to plan a suicide dive off the Bridge, I'd want it to be a private experience. If I don't want my loved ones watching me, I sure as hell don't want people to be watching me on film long after I'm gone. And it's not like they can deny Steel after the fact, either.
I understand your sentiment to a degree, but on the other hand, these people are committing suicide. It's not like they'd thought out in advance "I'm ok with how this could potentially destroy the lives of people that love me, but I draw the line at being filmed!" Let's not romanticize it as something that could be a nice private decision; if there are people who would be traumatized by your death being recorded, there are people who are going to be traumatized by the fact that you're committing suicide at all.

Healy
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
one of my closest friends decided to learn to fly off of that bridge.

That pretty much sucks. Sorry I couldn't say anything pithy or anything like that, but man, that must have been hard on you.

shivam
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
i got kicked out of college that term because i couldnt bring myself to finish my classwork. he'd called me a few days before, you see, just to reconnect, since he was at berkeley and i was at davis. I was too busy to really chat with him, so i said that we should talk later on and catch up.

i failed. he flew. and now i'll never catch up.

Healy
06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Aww man, that sounds awful. Sorry for dredging up bad memories, Shivam.