PDA

View Full Version : FC13: Final Fantasy IV

Parish
12-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Difficulty: Play a version you've never played before, if at all possible. (And no one's gonna think less of you if you fly a Jolly Roger for a version of a game you already own, probably several times over.) I'm braving it through the DS version, but of course I don't expect anyone else to be masochistic enough to play a seriously revised edition of the game in a foreign language. Fortunately, you have many options, including a fan translation (http://www.romhacking.net/trans/352/) of the original SFC game. So! Let's a go.

Final Fantasy IV
Square | SNES/PS1/GBA/WS/DS | 1991-2007

So, in the new version, Edward's "heal" ability no longer divides the weakest potion you have among all members of the party. Instead, it lets you select any inventory item to share. I haven't tried it with things like Antidotes and Gold Needles, but wouldn't that be handy?

He's still pretty much worthless in the course of the main game, though. "I'm Edward Chris von Muir, and I fought the Antlion by hiding a lot."

Jakanden
12-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I have the GBA remake, but never played it as I heard it has terrible technical problems. Is it worth going through or should I just stick with the classic SNES version (or maybe the SFC version)?

Parish
12-28-2007, 08:32 AM
They're not terrible, just annoying. Usually they work in the player's favor anyway -- getting two free turns for on ATB charge. The bonus content is pretty great, too, especially compared to the other four Advance titles.

MCBanjoMike
12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Damn you, Parish! I needed those last 3 days of December to finish Disgaea! And I could have pulled it off, too.

I have the GBA remake, but never played it as I heard it has terrible technical problems. Is it worth going through or should I just stick with the classic SNES version (or maybe the SFC version)?

I would say "terrible" is overstating it somewhat. Most of the time the worst thing that happens is that you get a free turn during battle without depleting a character's ATB bar. There are a few other quibbles, I think they're documented in the FF IV DS thread, but I didn't find them too troubling when I tried that version.

I, of course, will be playing this on my spiffy new SNES cart.

Sven
12-28-2007, 08:36 AM
So, in the new version, Edward's "heal" ability no longer divides the weakest potion you have among all members of the party. Instead, it lets you select any inventory item to share. I haven't tried it with things like Antidotes and Gold Needles, but wouldn't that be handy?

From reading a preview, one of his songs has basically been turned into a no-MP Regen, which sounds all kinds of neat and MAY make the cowardly bastard useful.

I own the GBA version, but I don't want to play it on an emulator (as nice as a bug-friendly combat engine is, no thank you) so I guess I'll be going with the fan translation and using SNES9x to speed it up something fierce. I freaking hate the limited inventory, though.

djSyndrome
12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
If you have no other way of legally playing it (as I don't, since I don't own a Nintendo portable system or a SNES any longer), the PS1 version is still pretty easy to come by. Most Fry's stores have new copies for fifteen bucks.

Jakanden
12-28-2007, 08:58 AM
They're not terrible, just annoying. Usually they work in the player's favor anyway -- getting two free turns for on ATB charge. The bonus content is pretty great, too, especially compared to the other four Advance titles.

Well then, I will start replaying it this weekend via the GBA version. I had started playing FFVI Advance, but I am only about an hour in and have no reason not to switch.

Brickroad
12-28-2007, 09:06 AM
I, of course, will be playing this on my spiffy new SNES cart.

New? Sucka, that thing's ancient.

Well, it's not like I needed an excuse to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-play FF4. I think I'll try for a pure lowball game this time*.

*This involves killing Golbez in the underworld with only Yang alive, so nobody else absorbs XP. It's pretty much torture.

Eirikr
12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Now I won't feel guilty about importing FFIV DS immediately.

Mightyblue
12-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Haha. I think the only versions of IV I haven't played are the JP EasyType and the Wonderswan Color edition. I'm going to be busy this week, but I'll see if I can cram it in somewhere.

mopinks
12-28-2007, 11:51 AM
hey, I got a head start on this one! ssssssweet.

I originally thought the battles were unbearably slow in FFIV DS, until I realized I'd accidentally set the battle speed all the way down instead of all the way up. whoops! now the game is BRISK and INTENSE.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy the lame minigames enough to make Pochika useful, though.

valhalladeath
12-28-2007, 01:08 PM
I've been dragging my feet on joining in on the Fun Club festivities, but this and KOTOR are going to give me the jump start that I needed. My GBA version of FFIV has been looking at me for a while now, this is a good time to check out this version of it!

Jakanden
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I started up the GBA remake and I am digging it so far. Granted, it is still FFIV (my 3rd favorite in the series), so I will love it regardless.

My memories are mostly of the SNES version as that is the one I played over and over. I only played the PS1 remake one time so the dialog of that one isn't as known to me, but the translation of advanced is quite a bit better than the original.

Reluctant Hero
12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Guess I'll stop by gamestop for a used copy of FF IV for my GB Micro. I've got both the original SNES FF II and Final Fantasy Chronicles. But I'd rather play it mobile form.

Jakanden
12-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Sweeeeet. They kept in "You Spoony Bard!"

DrSenbei
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm playing through the DS version and the difficulty has been tweaked, to say the least. The Fabul treasure chest monsters zenmetsu-ed the hell out of me and Barbarica was absolutely retarded (counter Lightning what?!)

Don't forget to spread your Decant abilities around Mr. Parish! The amount of Decants you get from departed party members is determined by how many Decants you give them (0=1 Decant, 1=2 Decants, 2=3 Decants).

Eirikr
12-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Don't forget to spread your Decant abilities around Mr. Parish! The amount of Decants you get from departed party members is determined by how many Decants you give them (0=1 Decant, 1=2 Decants, 2=3 Decants).

Say what now?

DrSenbei
12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Decant Abilities are Key Items that allow you to teach the skills of departed party members to other members. Like, Sing on Cecil and Twin Magic on Rosa and Rydia.

Some abilities you pick up as part of story. Rosa gives you Auto-Potion when you find her sick in the desert and Yang's wife gives you Counter when you leave on the boat, for example.

Other abilities are received when party members leave. After the events with Caginazzo at Baron castle, return to the Mystidian Elder and he'll give you Decant Abilities.
Likewise, after the events in the Tower of Zot with Golbez there will be sparkilies laying on the ground:These are the decant abilities of a recently departed member.
ALSO after you defeat each of the Four Fiends you can find their abilities laying on the ground as sparkilies in various locations (one per Fiend).
The amount of Decants a departed party member leaves is dependent on how many Decant items you used on them. Every member leaves 1 ability regardless. If you give them 1 Decant, they leave you 2. Give them 2 and they leave you 3.The Twins work slightly differently: You only need to give them 3 Decants TOTAL (2 to 1, and 1 to the other) to get all 5 of their Decant Abilities.
In other words, don't horde all the abilities for your final 5 because you won't get the best Decants!

Zen
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh, good. Missables.

gamin
12-28-2007, 10:32 PM
So, in light of recently hooking up the ol' SNES I decided to play the original American release of FFII...I mean IV. I've played every single version of the game save for the Wonderswan and new DS versions (although the GBA release was a port of the Wonderswan version was it not?). It's been years and years since I've played the actual original American FFII though.

So, I'm almost 2 hours in and am outside Fabul. It's been complete cake. But its been enjoyable. Got the Imp summon on my first fight with imps. The game's ease allows for me to run from most all battles, so I'm speeding through for the story. As hated as the old translation is, it's really not bad at all for its time--there are few errors and the vocabulary isn't completely idiotic. For those who get a chuckle out of "spoony bard," I always thought it made sense he would use an antiquated word, being a man very advanced in age.

Lots of great memories attached to this game, as well. I would always name the characters after myself and my friends, and when Kain went traitor and joined up with Golbez, I had to apologize to my best friend for giving him his name. Biblical references were totally lost on my 7 year old brain.

mopinks
12-29-2007, 07:41 AM
this has to be, at the very least, the sixth time I've played through this game, and I STILL can't remember exactly how to get through the stupid Baron Waterway. it's even rougher now that it's all in 3D!

on the plus side, I gained a few dozen levels (slight exaggeration) from wandering aimlessly in there for a while, so that filthy traitor Baigan was cake. POSSIBLE DS VERSION SPOILER: did his arms always self-destruct after the main body went down? I wasn't expecting that, and poor Porom and Yang paid a heavy price.

cartman414
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
this has to be, at the very least, the sixth time I've played through this game, and I STILL can't remember exactly how to get through the stupid Baron Waterway. it's even rougher now that it's all in 3D!

on the plus side, I gained a few dozen levels (slight exaggeration) from wandering aimlessly in there for a while, so that filthy traitor Baigan was cake. POSSIBLE DS VERSION SPOILER: did his arms always self-destruct after the main body went down? I wasn't expecting that, and poor Porom and Yang paid a heavy price.

They always did.

I hear Scarmiglione spams your team with Curse in this new update. The Decant abilities are also supposed to carry over upon NewGame+.

Jakanden
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I hear Scarmiglione spams your team with Curse in this new update

This is my first time playing the GBA version, but he does it every time fire is cast. Don't remember if that was in the PS1 version though so it may not be new.

gamin
12-29-2007, 04:37 PM
So American SNES FFII has been super easy so far and then bam! Baigan suddenly starts kicking my characters' collective asses. Not that Baigan actually beat me, but he did kill off a few characters over and over, and I came close to losing a few times. Granted, I've been running away from most battles for the whole game, but I'm realizing now that I might need to start grinding the occasional level finally.

Ddegenha
12-29-2007, 05:23 PM
despite having finished the game again right before finding this site. I played the J2E translation of Final Fantasy IV and completed it somewhere around 22 hours with a bit of grinding at the final dungeon.

A very useful trick that a friend of mine clued me in on was killing off the other 3 characters on Mount Ordeals after Cecil becomes a paladin and staying up there for a while. You'll gain five or six levels with the first battle and probably one or two after each battle after that for a while. I got bored and revived everyone else when Cecil was around level 35, but that was enough for me to blow through the rest of the game pretty easily.

Why? Because after Cecil becomes a paladin the only characters who aren't introduced with a level near his are Cid, Edge, and FuSoYa. I got Rosa back with Cure 3 and Rydia when she was starting to develop her third iteration of attack spells. Yang at level 37 or 38 is pretty obscene.

Of course, as an old school Final Fantasy game the simple truth is that 99% of the time you're better off never using the flee command. The pacing of level gains in the game was based on the idea that you'll constantly be gaining experience.

gamin
12-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, you don't really want to run constantly in the regular versions of FFIV, as its fairly difficult without sufficient levels. However, the Easytype variations of the game--i.e. American FF2--has very watered down enemies for the most part. Which is making for a good version for me to speed through.

Eusis
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Any chance this will pop up again for the US DS release? I didn't complete FFIV really recently (back in 2005) but I'm kinda holding out on the DS version unless I come across the GBA game for stupidly cheap or something.

Parish
12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh man, "Milon Z" is a bastard in this game. His gas breath attack actually connects, and it connects painfully -- curse, silence, blind, poison for everyone. And if you don't listen to Yang when fighting Mother Bomb you will definitely die.

Generally speaking, though, the difficulty of the DS version seems to have tapered off after meeting Tellah. Enemies still hit a lot harder than they used to, but I don't feel totally overwhelmed. It helps that your characters' special attacks are more useful -- Yang's Kick command, for instance, carries over the elemental attributes of whatever claws he has equipped, which I don't think was the case in previous iterations. Rosa's Aim makes her extremely powerful. And Edward is incredibly valuable now that you can turn him into a source of MP-free regen.

Also, the change to Cecil's Darkness attack (it works like the FFIII Dark Knight's skill, where you spend a turn to activate Darkness and then attack with double-powered hits that sap your health) causes his mirror battle at Mount Ordeals to make sense. Dark Cecil uses Darkness and thus loses more health with each turn than it can inflict when the real Cecil is blocking -- so it essentially kills itself with its Darkness ability.

Savathun
12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm really curious to see what they do with Zeromus in 3D, since he's already pretty baffling as far as FF final bosses go. What the heck is he? Why... did he turn into that?

Eirikr
12-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm really curious to see what they do with guy in 3D, since he's already pretty baffling as far as FF final bosses go. What the heck is he? Why... did he turn into that?

And which form of him will be used? Or will the other one be an unlockable, like in FFIVA?

Traumadore
12-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I won't be playing this game again until the US DS release, but when I revisited it for PS1 it seriously took me until the Magus Sisters to realize that it was harder. Despite playing it many times through as a kid. I was finally thinking "man, I don't remember losing a quarter of my health to every monster's attack." I haven't gone back and played the easy type since to see exactly how easy it is though. I used to rent it from this place that was $1 for 5 days, so I never owned it.

Mightyblue
12-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Also, the change to Cecil's Darkness attack (it works like the FFIII Dark Knight's skill, where you spend a turn to activate Darkness and then attack with double-powered hits that sap your health) causes his mirror battle at Mount Ordeals to make sense. Dark Cecil uses Darkness and thus loses more health with each turn than it can inflict when the real Cecil is blocking -- so it essentially kills itself with its Darkness ability.But it makes sense in the sprite versions though too. The Darkness wave special drains Cecil's HP to use (something like a 1/4-1/5 if I'm remembering right), so the Dark Cecil would have killed itself from spamming that as well.

Merus
12-30-2007, 06:27 AM
I'll be playing along in the GBA version - at the moment I think I prefer giving me back my party members at the end of the game instead of giving me the abilities that made them unique.

Parish
12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
But it makes sense in the sprite versions though too. The Darkness wave special drains Cecil's HP to use (something like a 1/4-1/5 if I'm remembering right), so the Dark Cecil would have killed itself from spamming that as well.
Yes, I realize this isn't a new addition, but this is the first time that I've seen Dark Cecil lose more HP from its Darkness attack than it was able to chip away from Cecil. It's a small change to a character mechanic that aids the storytelling.

Sanagi
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I'll be playing along in the GBA version - at the moment I think I prefer giving me back my party members at the end of the game instead of giving me the abilities that made them unique.
This is still my favorite change in the whole series of GBA ports. I've wanted it since the game originally came out. Even if it is kind of stupidly useful to be able to have two white mages.

DrSenbei
12-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm finding the bosses to be a real mixed bag of difficulty. I don't know how I was supposed to beat Barbaricca (because she counters all physical attacks with Thunder) so I just used counter/cover with Cecil and had Yang charge up (you can build up three times guys, abuse it).
On the other hand counter/cover allowed me to kill the Calbarina dolls before they transformed into the giant one so... who can say.
ALSO!
Cecil with Counter and Attract is pretty broken. He is a one man wrecking machine but I only just cleared the underground Tower of Babal so we'll see if this broken-ness continues unabated.

Mightyblue
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm finding the bosses to be a real mixed bag of difficulty. I don't know how I was supposed to beat Barbaricca (because she counters all physical attacks with Thunder) so I just used counter/cover with Cecil and had Yang charge up (you can build up three times guys, abuse it).
On the other hand counter/cover allowed me to kill the Calbarina dolls before they transformed into the giant one so... who can say.
ALSO!
Cecil with Counter and Attract is pretty broken. He is a one man wrecking machine but I only just cleared the underground Tower of Babal so we'll see if this broken-ness continues unabated.Things that are immune to physicals or the element of Cecil's weapons won't be all that affected by it, or worse, they might be healed by it.

Zen
12-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Things that are immune to physicals or the element of Cecil's weapons won't be all that affected by it, or worse, they might be healed by it.

...except I remember in the old versions at least that you'd get a new elemental sword in a dungeon and it was ravagopolis on everything in there but the other treasure chest monsters.

mopinks
12-31-2007, 02:54 AM
the bosses in the DS version really are PUMPED UP.

I just made my way through the magnetic cave, which was always my least favorite part of the game, and I actually found it to be much easier than I remembered! then Dark Dragon decided to crush all of my hopes and dreams and make me look like a fool. :<

Jakanden
12-31-2007, 04:01 AM

I just made my way through the magnetic cave, which was always my least favorite part of the game, and I actually found it to be much easier than I remembered! then Dark Dragon decided to crush all of my hopes and dreams and make me look like a fool. :<

I just finished this part on the GBA version and found it easier than I remembered as well. This is likely because I had to level up like crazy before going in because the needle rats around Troia were owning me and I wasn't going to proceed until I could dominate them.

Zen
12-31-2007, 05:16 AM

Does Tornado still work on him?

mopinks
12-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Does Tornado still work on him?

it does not!
and he goes absolutely crazy with this dark breath attack now, which is pretty much certain death unless you cast slow on him and heal your party constantly.

Sven
12-31-2007, 08:00 AM
I tried, I really did.

Basically: started on the GBA version on the way home on Friday, kept going over the weekend... but just couldn't keep going any more after I wound up in the underworld, looked at a FAQ, and remembered just HOW FREAKING LONG the remainder of the game is.

I think my problem is that FFV / VI / Chrono all have a structure where they're doling out increased powers in bite-sized increments (jobs / espers / combos, respectively) so you're getting a continuous sense of achievement *above and beyond* the plot advancement. With everyone's skills in FFIV being consistent, you're basically just grinding for the sake of stats, rather than abilities, and if I've been through the plot already (beat the full last dungeon on the GBA) I'm not interested enough to keep going.

Sad, really.

djSyndrome
12-31-2007, 08:12 AM
and remembered just HOW FREAKING LONG the remainder of the game is.

Long? You can get through FFIV in a dozen hours. Outside of 1, it's probably the shortest mainline FF game.

Jakanden
12-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Long? You can get through FFIV in a dozen hours. Outside of 1, it's probably the shortest mainline FF game.

A dozen? I usually clock in around 15 to 20 myself.

Zen
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
A dozen? I usually clock in around 15 to 20 myself.

I can do a dozen on easytype no problem.

Jakanden
12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I guess I just take my time then.

As far as Easy Type, I assume you mean the US release and not Final Fantasy IV Easy Type (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV#Final_Fantasy_IV_Easytype) for the SFC. If you have played the SFC easytype, how much easier is it than FF IV (US)? I have wanted to check it out for awhile, but it sounds like it is almost Mystic Quest easy.

Also, is it just me, or is the EasyType Zeromus cooler looking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqyce2Bf4E&mode=related&search=)?

mr_bungle700
12-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Easy Type Zeromus is way cooler looking. It was nice to see him make an appearance in FFIVA.

Speaking of which, I think my completion time in FFIVA, before tackling the bonus content, was ~10 hours. It's a pretty short game, all told.

mopinks
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
I like the standard Zeromus, because I can't even tell what he's supposed to be. Easytype Zeromus just looks like a huge lobster with swords. which is still great, but not in the right way.

hey, has anyone mentioned yet that the DS version has a New Game + feature? because it does! and that makes it instantly wonderful in my book.

Jakanden
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Easy Type Zeromus is way cooler looking. It was nice to see him make an appearance in FFIVA.

I should be seeing him this week then. I just figured Advance had classic Zeromus but it is good to know they have the bad-ass version.

mopinks
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Advance goes out of its way to please both camps of Zeromus fans.

Jakanden
12-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Technical glitches aside, I am really digging Advance. It isn't as easy as the SNES version, but not as hard as the PS1 version so it sits in that "just right" category for a quick portable RPG.

I am in the Tower of Zot now and plan to clear it out before tonight is over. First up is Musashi II though as I finished up to that part in the book. I am re-watching the Musashi trilogy as I am reading through the novel for the first time.

Zen
01-02-2008, 01:44 AM
I guess I just take my time then.

As far as Easy Type, I assume you mean the US release and not Final Fantasy IV Easy Type (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV#Final_Fantasy_IV_Easytype) for the SFC. If you have played the SFC easytype, how much easier is it than FF IV (US)? I have wanted to check it out for awhile, but it sounds like it is almost Mystic Quest easy.

Also, is it just me, or is the EasyType Zeromus cooler looking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqyce2Bf4E&mode=related&search=)?

No, I was just being lazy with my titles. I figure when I'm talking about game length I can safely lump the two together.

Alixsar
01-02-2008, 03:20 AM

Honestly, FFI usually takes me longer to beat than FFIV does. But it's damn close.

Also, I really recommend that everyone try and play FFIVA if you can. I love that version for two reasons: 1) the bonus dungeon is awesome and 2) because it finally proved that my "Dude, if you could keep Edward I'd bet he'd be hella good by the end of the game" argument was actually not completely insane.

Jakanden
01-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Honestly, FFI usually takes me longer to beat than FFIV does. But it's damn close.

Sheesh - I am at 9 hours and just hit the underground. I guess I play this game slower than everyone else as I never did it in 12 hours.

dosboot
01-02-2008, 05:46 AM
I would think beating FFIV in 12 hours requires planning on where to level up. Like, you run from most battles then at a few select spots throughout the game you level up near a save point.

mopinks
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
finishing up Tower of Zot now!

man, I don't remember the enemies in here being so brutal. those ice dog things in particular slaughtered me more times than I'd like to admit. the Magus Sisters actually seemed a lot easier than usual, though.

Jakanden
01-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I had leveled up like crazy before the Dark Elf because I was getting slaughtered. Due to that, Zot was very easy for me.

mopinks
01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
hey FFIV DS, I am not at all pleased that part of this fun new sidequest involves grinding for hours and hours just to find some new stupid rare item drop.

RAAAAAARE DROOOOOOOOOOOOPS :< :< :<

Alixsar
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Sheesh - I am at 9 hours and just hit the underground. I guess I play this game slower than everyone else as I never did it in 12 hours.

Well, I was thinking of when I played FFI/FFIV originally which was on the NES/SNES respectively. It's also worth mentioning that that was the bastardized US version of FFIV. The GBA version of FFIV took substantially longer for me to playthrough and was a lot more difficult (although still not very hard). And I think the PSX version is harder too but I've never tried it.

So basically, as long as you're not playing the old school ROM of FFII, then you probably should be taking that long.

estragon
01-02-2008, 07:26 PM
hey FFIV DS, I am not at all pleased that part of this fun new sidequest involves grinding for hours and hours just to find some new stupid rare item drop.

Could someone spoil this sidequest for me? Is it worth doing in the first place?

I am wanting to play this game less and less.

mopinks
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Could someone spoil this sidequest for me? Is it worth doing in the first place?

I am wanting to play this game less and less.

SPOILING AWAY: Namingway now appears in various preset locations throughout the game, and by fulfilling certain goofy conditions you get him to move to the next place and earn some neat rewards. it's been all well and good so far, but at the point where I am right now, he's demanding a Rainbow Pudding, which is a new super crazy rare item that's only dropped by Flan-type monsters. it's like I'm hunting for the damn pink tail, but I'm only halfway through the game! LAME. I can't progress any further in this sidequest chain unless I get the stupid pudding, which means I ultimately can't get the 'No Encounters' ability. and I would very much like that ability!

they've also apparently added a bunch of new differently-colored and equally rare tails that get you new super-powerful Onion armor, in an attempt to finally drive completionists to suicide or something.

Sven
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
SPOILING AWAY:
they've also apparently added , in an attempt to finally drive completionists to suicide or something.

Okay, now I'm legitimately worried about what they're going to do to FFV and VI, because those remakes I'll never be able to resist.

Zef
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Okay, now I'm legitimately worried about what they're going to do to FFV and VI, because those remakes I'll never be able to resist.
My ideal bonus, as in, what would absolutely DESTROY me out of sheer geek joy, would be the chance to either play the Braves of Dawn vs. Exdeath's initial incarnation in FFV, or participate in the war that sealed Enuo and originated the Twelve Legendary Weapons. Then, for VI, to play a role in the War of the Magi, before/during the time the creation of the Espers. FF4DS already has flashbacks to the main characters' childhood and KluYa; it's not unreasonable to expect something related to V and VI's oft-cited ancient catastrophes.

Well, that, or maybe a sidequest that explains just what happened to Banon et al after the Espers razed Vector.

dosboot
01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Well, that, or maybe a sidequest that explains just what happened to Banon et al after the Espers razed Vector.

Duh, after his disappearance Banon becomes Gogo.

(couldn't resist)

q 3
01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I want Gogo to have his own optional dungeon, perhaps modeled on Cyan's, except it will feature a dozen different contradictory explanations of his origins - that he is really Banon, and the Emperor, and Daryl, and Gogo from FF5, and General Leo, and Madonna, and the good half of Kefka's soul, but definitely not Adlai Stevenson.

Makkara
01-03-2008, 01:04 AM

Luckily I've been desensitized to grinding for rare drops, thanks to playing World of Warcraft for a few months. In fact, I almost take a perverse pleasure in it. So yeah, I'm still on board for FF4DS.

Thinaran
01-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Grinding is ok for me too, I need something to do at work. Hey, is the DS-version portable friendly? I heard the frequency of save points in III were ... bad.

mr_bungle700
01-03-2008, 03:05 AM
I don't know if the new version has a quicksave function or anything, but the number of save points in FFIV is pretty high anyway.

Egarwaen
01-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Grinding is ok for me too, I need something to do at work. Hey, is the DS-version portable friendly? I heard the frequency of save points in III were ... bad.

It had a Quicksave, though, so that didn't really matter. Plus, it's the DS, so you can just close the lid.

VioletSon
01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Between the awesome battery life and the ease of flipping the screen down to hibernate, the DS is sooo perfect for people like me who usually have to chip away at games in bite-sized pieces. Now if I didn't have to feel like a pedo everytime I buy a DS game at BestBuy, I'd be all set.

Jakanden
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I finished off the first time in the underground on the bus this morning and I am at around 10.5 hours. I am going to try to knock the rest out quick as Ouendan 2 arrives in the mail tomorrow and I won't want to play this anymore.

gamin
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Got stuck on the Fiend of Wind at the top of Zot. I remember the tower being pretty brutal on the GBA version, but it wasn't so bad on the SNES so long as I ran away from surprised battles. But once again, although the random battle enemies are weaksause and get struck down in a hit, the bosses can be serious matters. Barbariccia hits hard and often, and Rosa just cannot keep up.

ppwei
01-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Duh, after his disappearance Banon becomes Gogo.

(couldn't resist)

For some vague reason, I always assumed that General Leo became Gogo.

Sven
01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
For some vague reason, I always assumed that General Leo became Gogo.

Whereas I was always in the Daryl camp (Leo was pretty emphatically killed, she was never found, etc.). I think it's one of those "I leave it to the interpretation of the audience" things, although I'd be interested to see a poll result on the issue.

Jeanie
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I always thought Gogo was just Gogo, never really thought it was someone in disguise. Why would people think this?

Sven
01-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I always thought Gogo was just Gogo, never really thought it was someone in disguise. Why would people think this?

In a game that takes the care to develop a dozen other characters, it's weird to have the one that isn't a mythical Himalayan beast have such a blank back-story. And with all the hanging plot threads of VI, it's relatively easy to tie one of those to Gogo (whose costume also lends itself to the mystery aspect - hell, so does the character introduction).

Parish
01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Because most Americans played FFVI before they'd even heard of FFV and had no idea Gogo was a carry-over. I'd be willing to wager that the Gogo=Daryl theory is completely unheard of in Japan, because they had the context necessary to recognize the character cameo.

estragon
01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Because most Americans played FFVI before they'd even heard of FFV and had no idea Gogo was a carry-over. I'd be willing to wager that the Gogo=Daryl theory is completely unheard of in Japan, because they had the context necessary to recognize the character cameo.

Reading this got me interested in figuring out whether it's true or not.

While I was actually hoping to prove you right, unfortunately, a quick google search of "ダリル ゴゴ" turns up a number of people speculating about whether or not Daryl is Gogo on various message boards and personal blogs. It turns out that Japanese fanboys are just as prone to baseless speculation as the English speaking world.

Tomm Guycot
01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Just to keep the love rolling, but without subtlety: Gogo is from FFV guys.

He is not *anyone* except himself.

Gogo.

(My favorite of the "stupid Gogo theories" was that he was Golbez)

estragon
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
(My favorite of the "stupid Gogo theories" was that he was Golbez)

Hey, that sounds reasonable.

They've both . . . got . . . capes?

Meditative_Zebra
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Grinding is ok for me too, I need something to do at work.

Gee, are they hiring where you work?

Sami
01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I thought I would hold out until the DS version, but I ended up picking up FFIVA after all... now I'm stuck at Eblan with Cid, Tellah and Yang, wanting to get the treasure. Maybe I should go try leveling at Ordeals.

No, it's not. That's just wrong.

mopinks
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I finally gave up on the GRINDQUEST and moved on to the underground, because I'm just going to play this game again (probably more than once) when it comes out in English and I decided not to waste any more hours of my life with mindless nonsense than absolutely necessary. I'm calling this a victory!

MCBanjoMike
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm throwing my hat into the ring officially, playing it on the SNES - the way Square intended us to play it! Actually, not at all.

Two hours in and I'm about to step foot into Fabul. There are a few things that I'd forgotten about the original North American release, partially because last time I played this it was the GBA version. There are no ATB bars! The translation is...uh, kinda naive. The interface is lacking crucial ergonomic features introduced in later games! (the ability to switch between character screens using L and R, the way it kicks you back to the menu after casting Cure once)

On the bright side, it plays wicked fast and the music is just fantastic. Cartridges rule my world.

MCBanjoMike
01-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Cartridges rule my world.

Except...

Apparently the excitement of being played in a new country was too much for that poor cartridge to bear, as the battery seems to have died after my session last night. Guess I won't be playing this right now after all :(. I'm sure I'll learn how to change those batteries eventually, but it's quite unlikely that this will happen in the next week or so.

Guys, go on *cough* without me, I'm done for.

mopinks
01-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you sure the battery is actually dead? I know it seems to have made a heroic and dramatic self-sacrifice, but it just might turn out to be alive later on.

lol FFIV humor

Jakanden
01-07-2008, 05:30 AM
I am at Zemus right now although I am leveling up a bit so I can get the special weapons (I have most of them). I also have Ashura, Leviathan, Odin and Bahamut.

I checked out the cave of trails thing not knowing that it was only for the new "You can swap out party members" characters. I got all the way to the end with the original party only to find out I cannot do anything with them. It doesn't bother me much as I like the original party and took them with me to the moon.

Brickroad
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Except...

I knew it!

I decided to can the lowball idea and just plow through the game. I just beat Rubicante and crash-landed back in the underworld, and I'm counting the seconds until I can ditch Kain, Edge and Rydia in favor of Yang, Cid and Palom.

Of course, if I were planning to do the moon dungeon again, my initial endgame team have Porom instead of Rosa, with Palom benched. This way I could unlock the entire lunar dungeon only beating Zeromus twice instead of three times, without having to suffer through a battle with no white wizard. I also would build a time machine and go back to tell myself this before unlocking the lunar dungeon the first time, which sucked ass because I ended up having to kill the final boss with a party of Cecil/Edge/Kain/Rydia/Edward.