PDA

View Full Version : FC13 Alt: Castlevania II

Parish
12-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Difficulty level: you can't look at a guide or FAQ. Discuss inscrutable game mechanics here!

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Konami | NES/VC | 1988-2007

ProTip: Grind for experience inside mansions, since time doesn't advance there.

ReyVGM
12-28-2007, 08:21 AM
"protip"

Haha, that is so 90's GamePro.

Sven
12-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Difficulty level: you can't look at a guide or FAQ.

But what if I looked at a guide back in 1989 or whatever? Am I allowed to keep inherited knowledge?

VioletSon
12-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh god. Aside from a brief rental in '89, I've not played this game. All I remember is trying to use the wooden stake as a weapon, but being bumped off a ledge into the water when it didn't work. I think that's about the time I took it back.

I'll pick up a copy tomorrow. You bastards.

Eirikr
12-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Buy the Holy Water first! Or was it the first crystal? Either way, you can skip the thorn whip with no problem. Don't let Simon die! Go go go go go go!

Tomm Guycot
12-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I beat this at work three weeks ago.

That counts.

Eusis
12-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Close enough to Tomm here, recently grabbed it off the VC, having never played it before, and admittedly with a faq beat it 5 hours later. Since it's so short and easy, I'll probably give another go to see if I can get the best ending.

SamuelMarston
12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I have this. I would like to beat it.

I don't remember where I left off.

valhalladeath
12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Just for clarification, is this the Simon's Quest cart? Haven't played through that in about 15 years--might have to give it a go.

Falselogic
12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Jeremy, you know this game is unbeatable without having a FAQ of some sort! The NPCs lie to you! Worse the lies make no sense, nothing makes sense. The only thing that can be said is that the game looks good for a NES title. I've beat it twice once when I was little with my brother and a Nintendo Power, again a year or so ago with a FAQ and I don't think I could beat it now without assistance!

"Oh what a terrible night to have to play this game!" (or is that horrible?)

Eirikr
12-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know of any passwords that start you off with max health and nothing else? Just curious.

Shadax
12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Without a guide, I can barely get any further than the first mansion before I just get hopelessly lost. I blame the fact that I barely played this game seriously for the first time not a year or two ago, so I barely have any of the puzzles memorized.

Well, time to wander the Transylvanian countryside!

Tomm Guycot
12-29-2007, 11:06 AM
This game isn't all that hard.

There are two things to remember:

It's a 2D game. The countryside isn't THAT hard to get used to. Do everything on the right before going left (of the first town)

If you are stuck, you probably have to kneel somewhere with the crystal equipped. It doesn't matter what color the crystal is. You get free upgrades, and you never reach a point you need one without first being in a town with an upgrade.

Lastly, a tip in Simon's Questspeak:

Ferryman
may not have
heart to tell

you about
his other
destination.

Shadax
12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I bumbled my way through to the second mansion. How far have the rest of the forgetfuls gotten?

(it's sad, because I've beat this game with a faq at least 3 times, so I should in theory remember more than I do.)

Tomm Guycot
12-30-2007, 07:04 PM
The game seemed a lot easier than I remembered (as far as actually dying). Which made it all the more frustrating when I did die and lost 400 some odd hearts and all my exp.

Red Hedgehog
12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
The game seemed a lot easier than I remembered (as far as actually dying). Which made it all the more frustrating when I did die and lost 400 some odd hearts and all my exp.

The only really hard thing in the game (dying-wise) is the jumps. There are a few jumps in the game that require being at the absolute edge of a platform or you will fall to your death. Given how forgiving the rest of the game is, requiring such precise jumps is very jarring (and frustrating since this is the old school "can't control yourself at all during a jump" Castlevania).

VioletSon
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I now prossess Dracula's Rib!

Which means that I am now officially further in this game than I ever got before, though its not like it matters because I remember precisely jack about it. These illusion floors are bullshit, by the way.

Tomm Guycot
01-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I now prossess Dracula's Rib!

Which means that I am now officially further in this game than I ever got before, though its not like it matters because I remember precisely jack about it. These illusion floors are bullshit, by the way.

Develop a compulsory reaction where you toss HOly Water EVERYWHERE.

Sven
01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Develop a compulsory reaction where you toss HOly Water EVERYWHERE.

That's the one thing I remembered - step, holy water, repeat. It's a game that accurately simulates being a priest at any service where they're using the incense spraying-thingy.

I'm starting to come around to the thought that I never want them to remake this, simply because it'll be ruining everything that makes it memorable if the NPCs stop being outright bastards.

VioletSon
01-02-2008, 08:33 AM
I wrapped up the fifth mansion last night, and was happy to see that subsequent levels had fewer false floors. I'm suprised how easy this game is, once you know to squat whenever you come to an obstacle, and to not believe anything anyone says. I've got to be missing a lot though; half the towns I go through host only empty houses. I'll equip a bunch of different shit and take a stroll through each town tonight before I take down Dracula, wherever he is.

Sven
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
If you remember that the population of each town is proportional to the distance from Dracula's lair, you can find it pretty easily. The fact you're wandering through empty towns makes me think you're close.

VioletSon
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for everyone's good advice. I beat Dracula, and he was every bit as much a pushover as I had been lead to believe.

I looked over an FAQ after winning, and found out that I had missed almost everything that isn't required. I got the flame whip, the diamond, and the golden knife. I don't know how anyone is supposed to find the silk bag and all of that other stuff. I suppose you might if you are 8 and this game is one of two NES games you get for the year, as was the case for me growing up.

Speaking of games from when I was a kid, Simon's Quest gives me a little more respect for Faxanadu. I love that game, but over time I came to think of it as a fantasy ripoff of Castlevania, complete with dead-air jumps, alternating limited range attacks with melee, and a tenebrous palette. Now, however, I see it for what it really is: the game that lived up to the potential offered by Simon's Quest. It really took everything good about SQ (the free-roaming, the secrets, the towns and NPCs) and improved them by making each more varied, more accessible, and more less insane.

Stiv
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I spent a couple hours of quality time with the game tonight before turning it off and not writing down the password (although I'll play it again). Death is bizarrely consequence-free (and apparently encouraged; it's a good way to recharge your health at night) and damned if I can figure out how the experience system works at all. Mostly I'm just amazed at the fact that some of the townspeople actually tell you useful and only moderately inscrutable things.

Also is it just me or does night last longer than day? I'm guessing they're both roughly 10 minutes long, which is way too obnoxiously short.

Parish
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
damned if I can figure out how the experience system works at all.
Each enemy gives you a set amount of experience, but as your level increases weaker enemies cease to give experience. You lose all your experience earned since the previous level when you die, so death actually isn't consequence-free.

Balrog
01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
XBL was down tonight so I thought I would tear through this game. It's funny, I played this game so much as a kid(I backtracked a ton trying to figure stuff out until I got some help) that still knew where everything was. I've really got a soft spot for this game and its ilk (Faxanadu, Zelda 2, Battle of Olympus). Does anyone use the regular old dagger? I never found much use for it. I'm a pillar of flame/holy water man myself.

Mazian
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Death is bizarrely consequence-free
At first, I thought you were referring to the Death "boss"... who you can walk right past in a bizarrely consequence-free manner. (You don't need the golden dagger.)

There's a lot about this game that doesn't hold up well, but I do appreciate the design decision to make Dracula's castle empty and dead except for Drac himself. I remember inching through the whole level the first time I played it way back when, in suspense, convinced that there were a swarm of baddies waiting to get me somewhere. Far more memorable than the actual ending.

Stiv
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Each enemy gives you a set amount of experience, but as your level increases weaker enemies cease to give experience. You lose all your experience earned since the previous level when you die, so death actually isn't consequence-free.

I figured this was the case, but I noticed that at level 0 I was getting experience ranging from "little" to "none" from everything, even when I'd wandered way far past the first mansion. Seems more than a little unbalanced, although now I can kind of understand why.

The only difficulty I had with the game was figuring out to kneel at the side of those lakes, which comes out as a serious WHAT. So I ended up doing the mansions as 1-5-4-2-3. And yet, some questions remain, like what the hell does the garlic do. I seem to remember it being awesome when I was a kid. Anyway I disagree about the remake thing; remakes are for bad games which need to be improved, not for games which were perfectly good in the first place (aside from updates to bring them into the modern age so kids today won't have some kind of wacky problem with them).

Finally, I found this description of the password generation system (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/587179/38582) to be pretty interesting.

Parish
01-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Garlic works sort of like the bibuti from Symphony of the Night. Drop it and enemies will be frozen and take damage when they touch it. Unfortunately each "hit" does the same amount of damage as a hit from the weakest whip, I think, so killing a single enemy takes forever.

Eirikr
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I've opened this thread many times but I'm at a blank as to what to post. The problem with this and probably if we did a game like Mega Man 2 is that I've played this game to death. Sure, I still get confused in Castlevania II but I generally play it through in one sitting.

And speaking of garlic, how do you kill that one evil dark prince with it?