PDA

View Full Version : All things Shinobi

ArugulaZ
06-23-2007, 06:49 AM
So, you guys have any opinions about the Shinobi series? I'm referring specifically to the older games, not the silly PS2 release and its sequel with a kunoichi in the main role. I have a special spot in my heart for Shadow Dancer, the Shinobi sequel that paired Joe Higashi (or his son Hayate, depending on which version of the game you want to believe) with a white wolf named Yamato. Here's my recent video review of the three Shadow Dancer games if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErnPTKp9BEY

I'm of mixed minds about Revenge of Shinobi and its own sequel, Shinobi III. Neither game really feels as tight or as intense as the original, abandoning the fast-paced arcade gameplay for larger, bi-scrolling levels. Some of the enemies were really weird, too... the first game included everything from ninja nuns to copyright-infringing battles against Batman and Godzilla. Spider-Man was there in an official capacity, for no other reason than to promote his soon-to-come (and soon-to-suck!) Genesis release.

The Saturn Shinobi release with digitized graphics was hard to take seriously, but there was a surprisingly solid game hidden under all those ridiculous full-motion video clips and characters. It was very much like Revenge of Shinobi, except with a real-life cast.

The worst game in the series has to be Cyber-Shinobi, the Master System mess that will leave you convinced that it was developed by Color Dreams. Choppy scrolling, stiff, lifeless animation, sluggish gameplay... there's nothing this game couldn't get wrong. All right, the color cycling in the title screen was pretty cool, but that's as much as I'm willing to give it!

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World was... weird. I never liked Alex Kidd... he was a second-rate mascot on the level of Gex, Rocky Rodent, or Karnov. Needless to say, seeing him in a Shinobi game was a little hard to swallow. The game itself wasn't bad once you got used to the odd pole-swinging play mechanics, but it needed something extra to really bring it over the top.

It almost got it... there were pictures of Shinobi World in an early issue of EGM which showed Alex battling a fearsome foe called Mari-Oh, a cross between the towering samurai from the first Shinobi and the mascot from Sega's biggest competitor. Sadly, he was removed from the game in the final release, proving for the first time that Nintendo has no sense of humor and Sega has no guts.

JR

djSyndrome
06-23-2007, 07:05 AM
I've always loved the music of Shinobi III - it's one of Yuzo Koshiro's best 16-bit soundtracks - but for overall gameplay I'm going to have to go with the arcade Shadow Dancer.

And yes, the PS2 games were a joke.

ArugulaZ
06-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Really? The arcade version? I felt the Genesis version had the tighter, better realized gameplay... Yamato could be used as an effective secondary weapon there, while he would charge after foes (and get cut down by them) at the drop of a hat in the arcade game. Oh well, to each his own!

Bastardized sequels seem to be the modus operendi at Sega as of late. They can't even get Sonic right anymore, and I'm not sure whether Sammy or Sega's own management is to blame for that. They've got so many great IPs, and they haven't used any of them well since the death of the Dreamcast! It was like when that console went under, the Sega we knew and loved as kids went down with it, replaced by a waterlogged zombie.

JR

NoKidding
06-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I've always loved the music of Shinobi III - it's one of Yuzo Koshiro's best 16-bit soundtracks - but for overall gameplay I'm going to have to go with the arcade Shadow Dancer.

And yes, the PS2 games were a joke.

A joke? I don't know about the kunoichi one, bit the first PS2 Shinobi was pure old-school kick-you-in-the-teeth awesome.

Deadguy2322
06-23-2007, 08:05 AM
I loved playing the Genesis version of Shadow Dancer in No Shuriken Mode. The wolf REALLY becomes critical in that play mode, and the game becomes much, much harder, but more rewarding.

Niku
06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
HERE I COME, TO DEFEND THE PS2 GAME.

The PS2 game was really good. The sequel, not so much, but the first was grand. Yes, there's some really obtuse jumps when combined with the wall-running and the camera, but the gameplay itself hones you into the "groove" of the game, by ramping up the difficulty just enough with each new bit that you have incentive to learn how to use the game mechanics, until by the end of the game you're kicking and back-dashing and tate'ing like a mofo. There's something inherently satisfying to me about fighting a boss that gives you a lot of trouble the first time around, but the second time around you know the game well enough to kill him in a single hit.

Exception: the goddamned final boss who I still haven't beaten on Hard mode.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I liked Nightshade/Kunoichi. I also enjoyed Shinobi PS2, but it was annoyingly pitty.

Shinobi 3 is still king of the series, IMO.

Shame it came out same time as Ninja Gaiden X.

alexb
06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I liked Shinobi PS2 and Nightshade for some reason, too. Nightshade was a little more forgiving and I actually finished that one. I got to the last level in Shinobi, you know, the one without floors, and came up against the stark reality of my limitations. I distinctly remembering being slightly off on my timing (due to the camera; that was actually a fairly serious issue) and falling for about the 30th time. I believe my remark to this unfortunate development was something along the lines of "Shitffffffuckingfuck!"

And so that's how PS2 pad came to rattle.

Jakanden
06-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I have only played the Genesis Shinobi so I cannot really call myself a fan. I avoided the PS2 entries as I do not like games that kick the shit out of me and are proud of it.

This is the same reason I put about an hour into Ninja Gaiden and said "Screw it, I am done". While it is a great game, I do not have the patience necessary to learn the ropes and get good and it end up getting far too angry at it.

shivam
06-23-2007, 04:37 PM
shinobi ps2 is the hardest fucking game ever, right up there with ninja gaiden and dmc3.

NoKidding
06-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know about Ninja Gaiden, but I'd say it's a few notches above DMC.

Potato
06-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Why did they give swords to the dogs? How did they know my weakness?

Jakanden
06-23-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know about Ninja Gaiden, but I'd say it's a few notches above DMC.

I actually managed to get pretty far in DMC3 but I couldn't do jack in Ninja Gaiden. This might be due to the fact that I was used to the controls and system from the previous DMC's and I just hadn't taken the time to learn Ninja Gaiden though.

blitzchamp
06-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I liked Nightshade/Kunoichi. I also enjoyed Shinobi PS2, but it was annoyingly pitty.

I hated Nightshade. It felt like more of an old hack n slash game than a ninja game.

blitzchamp
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
shinobi ps2 is the hardest fucking game ever, right up there with ninja gaiden and dmc3.

Beating the final boss was an impossibility for me. It DROVE me insane. I had the strategy guide and everything. ALL FOR NOTHING. since I wasn't going to be able to beat the final boss. I think the game starts getting hard right around those tricky water levels, which btw, why can't ninjas swim?

Vahn16
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Other ninjas are hiding in the water. Really well.

Squall
06-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I only played a little of Nightshade and Shinobi in PS2, but loved them both. never bought them, always wanted to. I never could get in to the old Genesis Shinobis, though.

blitzchamp
06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Other ninjas are hiding in the water. Really well.

LOL yah can't the guy in Ninja Gaiden swim?