PDA

View Full Version : So... How about that good ol' GameFAQs?

MechaX
06-23-2007, 09:15 AM
How useful (or not useful at all) do you consider the site to be when it comes to getting inexpensive, yet ASCII-ridden notepad game guides?

Oh, and we definitely can't forget the stellar message boards as well. Especially when it comes to getting game help (And inevitable spoilerage).

Since Talking Time has more sense than... well, almost every web community, what do you think?

ArugulaZ
06-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I think I hate that Veasey sold out to GameSpot. Now the site is crawling with ads, just like Boredom Central- er, GameSpot itself. One day, I went over to the site for some strategy guides, and the whole damn thing was COVERED with advertising for Mountain Dew. Remember that April Fool's joke where GameFAQs was purchased by Microsoft and it became GameFAX, with coverage exclusively devoted to the Xbox? The Mountain Dew-drenched version of the site was just like that, except with caffiene addiction replacing the tongue-in-cheek irony.

I also think that somewhere, Kao Megura is spinning in his grave, and GameSpot is tapping the centrifugal force to power its offices. I wonder if he would have pulled all of his strategy guides from the site if he had lived to see Veasey bend over for the Cnet money (and meat) train? I wonder if anyone else has tried to have their guides taken off the site? I wonder if GameSpot will actually honor those requests? I wonder a lot of things, really.

JR

bobservo
06-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't mind the ads. GameFAQs is a free, easy solution to my gaming problems and has made it so I've never had to buy a strategy guide.

Kolbe
06-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I like MyCheats better, but as it is user-based there's not so many guides and stuff. Specially when it comes to not-so-popular-or-new games.

That's where GameFAQs enters.

poetfox
06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Sure the ads are annoying, but I'm only staring at the ads for the few seconds to get to the little ASCII guides... I use it all the time, really, mostly because it is not worth me getting frustrated in a game nowadays. Too much to play, too much to do. So if I get that way, I look it up.
The guides are normally good? I never have any problem with them?

gamin
06-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Something interesting that I've been noticing lately (although its no doubt been around for years) are the Challenge FAQs. Basically they're guides illustrating how to beat a game at a high handicap, like at minimal levels, or by unlocking no or few spells and abilities. Amazing stuff. Finding creative ways nullify certain attacks and learning about the basic mechanics of games I like is interesting. I can't imagine actually playing a game like that (becomes too much challenge and not enough fun) but it can be interesting to read about.

Or watch it on Youtube now, as its turning out. A lot of crazy skilled people post videos now so you can just watch how Ultima gets served by a 122333 party.

MetManMas
06-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I usually check GameFAQs a fair bit, mainly using bestiary FAQs to find the more elusive monsters in the Final Fantasy Advances to obtain 100% bestiary completion, or for finding some of the more elusive stuff in some games.

spineshark
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
gamefaqs does have some good boards, and this is not a joke featuring a "the ones nobody ever posts on!" punch line. Of course being on gfaqs at all makes it impossible to avoid every idiot who comes on asking an awful question, but boards like Devil May Cry 3 and Star Ocean 3 seem to me to have built up a strong core community which is knowledgeable and generally not full of jackassery.

Red Hedgehog
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I find GameFAQs to be a great site for game FAQs, Walkthroughs, and Codes/Cheats. The ads are relatively unobtrusive (the Mountain Dew one was unmistakable, but didn't interfere with site navigation) and once I search for the game I want, it is easy to find it and then find the guide I want. They have a very large selection (at least for slightly obscure NES games) and the guides are generally pretty well written. I really don't know what I would have done without them in the past seven years.

I have heard of these GameFAQ message boards, but all I have heard were horror stories so I haven't actually looked at them.

shivam
06-23-2007, 12:40 PM
gamefaqs is a terrible community, but i dont go there for the people. the guides have been stellar for years now.

Coinspinner
06-23-2007, 12:52 PM
What ads? I have Adblock and NoScript. :p

If I need info or help I go to the FAQs first. Because it's so easy to get a FAQ published there you can reliably find a FAQ about anything. Even I managed. ;)

I'll take a look at a board before the game comes out or once I'm done with it, but most really are the kind of awful that GameFAQs is famous for. I still frequent Challenge, FFV, and SaGa Frontier. Back when it was new, Xenosaga Episode 1 was pretty friendly and peaceful too.

ProfessorS
06-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I love searching GameFAQs for guides of some of the more obscure stuff that I play. The site is also like a time capsule in some ways. Go read some FAQs from 1994 for Mortal Kombat II or something.

For some real hilarity and fanboyism, check out the daily top 10s.

JCDenton
06-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Many of the guides are scarily comprehensive, so I'll check them on occasion to find out something there would be no way of knowing otherwise. Besides that though, I've heard a lot of bad things, so I mostly stay away.

Torgo
06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
For some real hilarity and fanboyism, check out the daily top 10s.
I actually almost made a topic here once rambling about how mind-numbingly stupid those things are. I'm pretty sure brain cells die when I read them. Fortuantely, I usually just skim over them, which only costs me IQ points.

For better or worse, the Poll of the Day has been a nearly daily fixture for me for several years now. Today's poll is one on the 'best 3d fighters'. Amongst the list of perfectly reasonable choices, they list Smash Bros.

lolz

R^2
06-23-2007, 01:55 PM
They stopped publishing my guides a few years ago and I don't know why.

sraymonds
06-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I actually almost made a topic here once rambling about how mind-numbingly stupid those things are. I'm pretty sure brain cells die when I read them. Fortuantely, I usually just skim over them, which only costs me IQ points.

Roll 2d4 to see how many IQ points you lose and mark them off your character sheets.

I use Gamefaqs a lot, but I tend to not notice any ads when I go to the site.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 02:39 PM
ArugulaZ reminded me of the McGriddling of Gamefaqs. That was totally ridiculous and annoying, but otherwise it's great still, IMO.

Although some sites have online guides with illustrations and maps and other goodies, but they're usually not available soon after release.

Torgo
06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
ArugulaZ reminded me of the McGriddling of Gamefaqs. That was totally ridiculous and annoying, but otherwise it's great still, IMO.
Was that Gamefaqs? I was pretty sure that was IGN. (Maybe both?)

Andrew
06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Was that Gamefaqs? I was pretty sure that was IGN. (Maybe both?)

I meant "McGriddling" as a verb--not the specific incident. I should have clarified.

IGN got "McGriddled" with McGriddles, and was the originator. However, I was referring to "McGriddling" in the sense of the page layout and theme being singularly focused on hawking one product. It was done for quite a few other things, including the Army fairly recently too, I believe. IGN pretty much just had the McGriddles. GameFAQs was whoring out tons of other things for quite a period of time.

alexb
06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
The McGriddles thing was definitely IGN. That was the point at which I said "fuck this and fuck you." I never go to IGN anymore. I don't really go to Gamespot much anymore, either. Their quality has really declined in the last couple of years. Less actual substance, more fellating the companies who run the horribly intrusive ads on their site. I hate this trend of "developer diaries" too. It's really worthless. Nothing more than gaming "journalists" explicitly becoming deputized members of game X's marketing department.

On this same note, I never participate in the polls at Gamefaqs. I don't feel like it's my duty to participate in the collection of their marketing data.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
I hate this trend of "developer diaries" too. It's really worthless. Nothing more than gaming "journalists" explicitly becoming deputized members of game X's marketing department.

1up does that too, although it's pretty much just developers creating and maintaining blogs, and whatever they chose to do with it.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Don't look at it if you don't want, and the guys who run the site shouldn't be obligated to shove them down your throats.

The Mark Ecko one was pathetic. It was flat out marketing, and there was no rapport between 1up members and whomever ran that blog. It was just "buy this game that's coming out!"

alexb
06-23-2007, 03:10 PM
It's held up like real content. It's not. It's marketing. All previews are basically marketing and inherently untrustworthy. Some can be entertaining to read, especially if you've already drunk the kool-aid, but they're all there to drum up interest in the game and ignore or lie about the bad parts. They serve a purpose and so they will continue to exist, but I don't have to think they're good stuff.

nadia
06-23-2007, 03:16 PM
gamefaqs is a terrible community, but i dont go there for the people. the guides have been stellar for years now.

Same. I never so much as glance at the message boards, but the FAQs are my friends.

Sanagi
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Gamefaqs is definitely the site that has lived in my bookmarks bar the longest. How can I not love the site that gave me such nerdy delights as the Final Fantasy Tactics Battle Mechanics Guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197339/3876) and the Perfect Dark Weapon Creation FAQ (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/198275/11748)?

Loki
06-23-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/photos/IGNWhoredtoMcDonalds.jpg

Jakanden
06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I think I hate that Veasey sold out to GameSpot. Now the site is crawling with ads, just like Boredom Central- er, GameSpot itself.

I use Firefox with AdBlock and never see any ads myself. So if ads bother you, I would recommend that.

As far as the topic on hand, Kolbe said my thoughts exactly:

I like MyCheats better, but as it is user-based there's not so many guides and stuff. Specially when it comes to not-so-popular-or-new games.

That's where GameFAQs enters.

Fer
06-23-2007, 04:24 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9499/ignwhoredtomcdonaldsrq2.jpg

The guides are ok (I hate guides with stupid jokes though), the boards are ok if you just visit to ask something that you couldn't find in the guides; finally, who cares about the polls? FFVII wins them all anyway.

Jeanie
06-23-2007, 04:31 PM
1up does that too, although it's pretty much just developers creating and maintaining blogs, and whatever they chose to do with it.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Don't look at it if you don't want, and the guys who run the site shouldn't be obligated to shove them down your throats.

The Mark Ecko one was pathetic. It was flat out marketing, and there was no rapport between 1up members and whomever ran that blog. It was just "buy this game that's coming out!"

It's because of those fluff pieces on 1up and Gamespot that I own a copy of Silverfall and Mage Knight Apocolypse. They spend 6 months hyping up those games, so I make the mistake of preordering them.

Be real nice if they would write their previews like a review and, you know, actually point out the bad things the see as well as the good.

As GameFAQ's, I dig the FAQ's, usually they are pretty good, but the boards I stay away from. I went to the Odin Sphere boards ONCE because, at the time, they didn't have much in the way of FAQ's and it was just the most retarded thing I have ever seen. The highest responded to topic I saw was "Man Velvet is SOOO hot!".

I developed a twitch right above my eye that still lingers to this day.

Oh and their top ten lists I try not to read, as many of the ones about RPG's usually say how good something in FF7 is.

DarkBlueFlannel
06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Hype and misleading previews are the only reason I own some games (I mean you, Odin Sphere).

GameFAQs is great, though. Like others have said, FAQs = good. Message Boards = Bad. I'm just hoping the single Persona 2 walkthrough actually works. That game has had no problems kicking my butt the two times I've gone it alone.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
(IGN McGriddles Page)

Holy crap--IGN was promoting the House of the Dead movie? Ugh.

Be real nice if they would write their previews like a review and, you know, actually point out the bad things the see as well as the good.

Previews do that on what site/in what mags? I'm sure anyone who who done it professionally (i.e. Parish) can clarify it, but I'm pretty sure just about all gaming publications have to hold back of any major criticism, because these games are unfinished projects and are subject to change.

However, anything goes with import games that have already been released and are being "previewed" for another market. When the game is in a box on the shelf, even if it is in crazy moon language, it's only a "preview" in the sense that some minor changes will take place before its localized, so no final verdict is rendered yet.

Torgo
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
finally, who cares about the polls? FFVII wins them all anyway.
Actually I remember one a few years back, inquiring about the greatest rpg evar. Chrono Trigger literally won by like ten votes. Even if it meant absolutely nothing, it was still kind of satisfying to see.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
GameFAQs polls tend to be either incredibly insipid, a life-and-death struggle between Final Fantasy and Nintendostalgics, or both.

Their top tens are often good for a laugh. It's basically random GameFAQs users making lists of games that conform to some random criteria. Top Ten Games Where One of the Protagonists Wears Red Pants!

dangerhelvetica
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm with pretty much everyone else here. Go for the FAQs, evade the forums. Although they're good for a lol once in a while.

nadia
06-23-2007, 06:08 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9499/ignwhoredtomcdonaldsrq2.jpg

My soul, and the Internet, died that day.

Does the McGriddle even exist anymore? It was a nasty little hockey puck, let me tell you.

Jakanden
06-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I never use IGN, I hate that site with the same degree I hate Kotaku.

ShakeWell
06-23-2007, 06:51 PM
I love GameFAQs. I've never been on the boards, but that's mostly because this is the only board I post on. Reason being it seems to be the only one on the 'net not populated by douche-nozzels. But, yeah, the GameFAQs guides and whatnot are very good, generally.

ShakeWell
06-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I never use IGN, I hate that site with the same degree I hate Kotaku.

I don't hate Kotaku, but I hate the ass off of IGN.

ArugulaZ
06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
For my money, the worst game blog out there is Destructoid. It tries way too hard to be hip and edgy and "with it," and is rarely any of the above. Still, even it can be of some use, as long as Robert "Wah, I got fired from Joystiq because I blueballed readers with a megaton news announcement that was a megaton of crap!" Summa is on vacation.

JR

sraymonds
06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
My soul, and the Internet, died that day.

Does the McGriddle even exist anymore? It was a nasty little hockey puck, let me tell you.

Yes, the McGriddle stille exists. I had one this morning. It was delicious.

alexb
06-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I don't like Destructoid. Though Joystiq doesn't do it for me, either.

bobservo
06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
The McGriddle still exists and fat people use it as currency

MetManMas
06-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Their top tens are often good for a laugh. It's basically random GameFAQs users making lists of games that conform to some random criteria. Top Ten Games Where One of the Protagonists Wears Red Pants!
The user reviews of games are usually good for a laugh as well, with numerous titles being overrated and underrated for absurd reasons.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
For my money, the worst game blog out there is Destructoid. It tries way too hard to be hip and edgy and "with it," and is rarely any of the above. Still, even it can be of some use, as long as Robert "Wah, I got fired from Joystiq because I blueballed readers with a megaton news announcement that was a megaton of crap!" Summa is on vacation.

JR

He's totally gone, actually. And yeah, the writing sucks there, the commentators are horrible too. However, the stuff reported/movie clips found/etc. are thankfully different from the other blogs. Kotaku/Joystiq are basically exactly the same.

sraymonds
06-23-2007, 10:16 PM
The McGriddle still exists and fat people use it as currency

We use it to barter for goods and services. We value the McGriddle 33% more than the Whopper, but the Sourdough Jack has twice the worth of a McGriddle.

"Goody Smith, I would like to offer you two McGriddles and a Sonic Breakfast Burrito for your butter churn and a chair. Do you find this offer acceptable?"

Savathun
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
We use it to barter for goods and services. We value the McGriddle 33% more than the Whopper, but the Sourdough Jack has twice the worth of a McGriddle.

"Goody Smith, I would like to offer you two McGriddles and a Sonic Breakfast Burrito for your butter churn and a chair. Do you find this offer acceptable?"

I want to live in your world. I wouldn't live long, but I'd live well.

And I wish I'd known about gamefaqs back during the FFXI strategy guide debacle. Does that qualify as a debacle? I can't even remember what a debacle is at the moment.

Jeanie
06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Previews do that on what site/in what mags? I'm sure anyone who who done it professionally (i.e. Parish) can clarify it, but I'm pretty sure just about all gaming publications have to hold back of any major criticism, because these games are unfinished projects and are subject to change.

However, anything goes with import games that have already been released and are being "previewed" for another market. When the game is in a box on the shelf, even if it is in crazy moon language, it's only a "preview" in the sense that some minor changes will take place before its localized, so no final verdict is rendered yet.

I understand that journalists have to grease the wheels if they want to keep getting those exclusive previews, but it's another thing to wax poetic about a game in a preview then rate it a 5.3 when it comes out. Also I understand that some glitches in a preview build that you can just shrug and say "it's a preview", sometimes don't get fixed and it should be knocked down the scale for that.

1up's not so bad about it, but Gamespot is really bad about it, and that's why I've been not reading that site the last few weeks.

I want to live in your world. I wouldn't live long, but I'd live well.

And I wish I'd known about gamefaqs back during the FFXI strategy guide debacle. Does that qualify as a debacle? I can't even remember what a debacle is at the moment.

You mean IX? Because yeah that does count as a debacle.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 11:47 PM
The FFIX guide that was "enhanced" by PlayOnline? Ohgawd.

I know PlayOnline exists in some form for FFXI--straight-up online guide, though, right?

Savathun
06-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Blast! Yeah, I mean IX. Stupid Roman numerals.

Red Hedgehog
06-24-2007, 12:29 AM

I have a friend who swears they are the tastiest think ever put on this earth. Ever since he said that, I no longer listen to anything he says about food.

MechaX
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
My super gaming topic derailed by... McGriddles?! Well I never.

... I might just make a trip up to Mc-... Scratch that thought.

1up's not so bad about it, but Gamespot is really bad about it, and that's why I've been not reading that site the last few weeks.

GameSpot takes Preview jerking to an entire new level. Keep in mind, other offenders like Game Informer are prone to making 10 page coverages on games like Batman Begins, Enter the Matrix, and others and hype them all up like the third coming of Jesus.

And usually, they do suck. Hm... I guess GameSpot doesn't take it to a 'new' level but just Game Informer level.

But yeah, GameSpot is pretty bad with that, as they can seemingly put a positive spin on any and every preview for every game. GI and the like have limitations with their super-in depth previews.

GameSpot on the other hand made it seem like Dirge of Cerberus was a good idea.

The secret of the McGriddle is to get a sausage McGriddle.

And then you eat the sausage and the chocolate-chip-pancake-things separately.

That way, you just avoided a heart attack thirty years down the road.

Sanagi
06-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Mcgriddles are all right, but for a while McD's had a bagel-bacon-omelette sandwich thingy that was sooo good. I'm guessing they stopped selling it because it contained approximately one million carbs.

ArugulaZ
06-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah, the breakfast bagels! I remember those, but they must have taken them off the market around the time that Super Size-Me film came out. They're dearly missed.

JR

estragon
06-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Me too. They're like a train wreck of consistently bad writing that I can't look away from. If you want to know how not to write, read the GameFAQs top 10 lists.

Alastor
06-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Gamefaqs is really useful, not only for the faqs themselves, but also because it's reassuring to know there will always be someone with way more free time than me. I specifically remember a FFX walkthrough that made me shake my head in utter amazement.

I have a big issue with the annual "character battles". Seeing Cloud, Sephiroth and Link easily dominate irritates me. I remember in a series battle last year, it came down to Kingdom Hearts vs Castlevania. KH won with 50.01% of the votes. Both message boards imploded.

If you'll allow me one last jab at FFVII: For instant fun, visit the game's message board and ask if Jenova was really "in control".

Lumber Baron
06-24-2007, 02:23 PM
McGriddles taste like a heart attack.

I'm not certain if they're more likely to produce a heart attact than any other McDonald's food, but that's what they taste like.

Deadguy2322
06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Me too. They're like a train wreck of consistently bad writing that I can't look away from. If you want to know how not to write, read the GameFAQs top 10 lists.

I avoid the forums there, but man, the Reader Reviews can be mind-blastingly dumb. I have seen total shit given 10/10 because of license fanboyism, and I have seen amazing games get 1/10 because of retards who apparently thought the game was something else entirely, like the guy who bashed the Pride FC game for not playing like Tekken.

tungwene
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I have never bought an official strategy guide in my life so I am eternally thankful for GameFAQs existence. I've never ventured onto the forums and don't ever plan to. I also like them because they're nice repositories of random game related knowledge, like game scripts, synthesis faqs, and in game dictionaries which is nice because I don't have to dig my copy of the game to look it up myself. Some of those sorts of guides are copied word for word out of the game.

Coinspinner
06-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I've never eaten breakfast at McDonalds but now I want to.

Jeanie
06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I have never bought an official strategy guide in my life so I am eternally thankful for GameFAQs existence. I've never ventured onto the forums and don't ever plan to. I also like them because they're nice repositories of random game related knowledge, like game scripts, synthesis faqs, and in game dictionaries which is nice because I don't have to dig my copy of the game to look it up myself. Some of those sorts of guides are copied word for word out of the game.

Well back in the day, we didn't have the interwebs, so we had to buy the guides or be stuck burning EVERY bush in Legend of Zelda. And we liked it that way! Ah just kidding (sorta). Well the old NP guides used to be really good, filled with maps, item lists, beastiaries, and official art work. So those were worth the 10-12 bucks.

Honestly the only reason I would get a guide now is if A). I was playing a PC game and Alt-Tabing to gameFAQs wouldn't work, or B). my computer is ten feet away from my TV and you can see one or the other but not both, so it can get a little annoying to pause, walk over, look at what I'm doing, puzzle out where I'm screwing up, and then walk back, unpause, and hopefully get it right.

Savathun
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM
The only strategy guides I'm glad I bought and held on to are those old Versus books ones for FF7 and Resident Evil 3 written by Casey Loe. Even if you never play those games, they're still fun to read because of his sense of humor.

tungwene
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Well back in the day, we didn't have the interwebs, so we had to buy the guides or be stuck burning EVERY bush in Legend of Zelda. And we liked it that way! Ah just kidding (sorta). Well the old NP guides used to be really good, filled with maps, item lists, beastiaries, and official art work. So those were worth the 10-12 bucks.I remember back in the day my strategy was to ask the kids at school during recess if they knew how to get past or certain part or leaf through an issue of Nintendo Power at the public library. I'm pretty certain I didn't even know what a strategy guide was at that age. Then again, I don't remember a time when the internet didn't exist. Even the first PC we owned had Gopher.

Mr. Sensible
06-24-2007, 05:51 PM
One big reason I've stuck with GameFAQs is because every now and again, I'll come across an incredibly well-done guide written by someone who also happens to have an appreciable sense of humor about the game he's writing for. You're not going to find snarky comments about the f'ed-up leveling system or ugly generic enemy outfits in a BradyGames guide or someshit.

And of course I would be remiss to not mention the crazy-obsessive ASCII art at the top of some FAQs; that stuff blows my mind sometimes.

Healy
06-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I actually lurked around some Gamefaqs boards, before I learned they were mostly Message Board based cesspits filled with flamers and crackpots. I still say they're good sources of entertainment, provided you're in a snarky mood. Does Zeality still post on the Chrono Trigger Board there? Because nearly every word of his is golden.

Warg
06-24-2007, 10:29 PM
GameFAQs was where I got my gaming message board start, if I remember right from many, many years ago.

Then I grew tired of a lot of the posts in the main boards there, found other forums, and joined in the chorus of "GAMEFAQS MOAR LIEK GAMEF***S AMIRITE?"

Then I happened by chance upon some of GameFAQs more-obscure boards and I was like, "Hey, well ya know, they're all right." I don't post there, as I've long since forgotten my password -- but at least some of the posts there in remote parts can be actually pretty good reads.

... besides, if you really want a forum cesspool, you go to the all-access parts of the Nintendo NSider Forums (http://forums.nintendo.com/).