PDA

View Full Version : Wise from my grave!!

Mightyblue
06-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah, just kidding.

Got back from my two week trip down south for my grandparents 50th anniversary, and I have to say that riding Amtrak is like being on a 16-hour plane flight with bumps and a greater fraction of screaming kids per passenger.

Note that I got back late Thursday, and I spent most of yesterday hanging out with my bosses and some of the other employees at the local gigantic amusement park, and much fun was had.

So, I'm just going to write off the last two weeks on this forum as a loss and start from scratch, since I don't have several days to catch up on things.

Odds are I'll update my DA page before I do any serious posting here, just too worn out and I wrote a rather largish chunk of stuff to post there.

Anyway, before I get too rambly, I'd just like to say I'm back.

philliam
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
who the hell are you

Torgo
06-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Welcome back.

Read the Manhunt 2 thread. I promise it's entertaining, thought-provoking, and informative.

nadia
06-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I have to say that riding Amtrak is like being on a 16-hour plane flight with bumps and a greater fraction of screaming kids per passenger.

Everywhere I go, I go by train. My experiences with Amtrak include:

-Getting told off for trying to use Canadian money at the snack car (even though I was fully aware of the exchange rate: This guy just didn't believe me when I told him planes, etc. take Canadian money. This is a train going from Toronto to New York, btw).

-A 12 hour trip turning into an 18 hour trip because of a) Cows on the tracks b) Freight cars that just won't move up ahead c) Tracks melting in the summer heat (srsly).

-Six-hour stopovers in New York's Penn Station

-Afore mentioned screaming kids whose parents believe the whole car wants to hear their "Shrek" DVD

-Guy behind me who thinks I want to hear his "Yo, black guy drives a car like this, white guy drives a car like this" comedy DVD. People. Headphones.

-Couple from Quebec in front of me who think I want to hear their Bryan Adams CD. PEOPLE. HEADPHONES.

-The woman who yells really loud over her cellphone and pretends not to be able to speak English when I tell her to shut the hell up.

-A three-hour ass-reaming with American customs because oh my God there are three Pakistani families on the train. "Do you know each other?" "Well, no--" "You all look the same, so you must know each other!"

Savathun
06-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Gyah, well maybe now I'll rethink my whole "moving by train" idea. I'm terrified of heights/planes, so I figured a train would be great, but, uh, wow.

Speaking of tracks melting in the summer heat, how is the air conditioning on those trains? Bad air conditioning is a deal breaker. If nothing else, I can get on a plane and pull a Lithgow/Shatner and get myself doped up for the entirety of the trip.

Torgo
06-23-2007, 03:51 PM
How often have you (or have you ever) flown? I've found that familiarity with flying makes the whole thing a lot less nerve-wracking. Of my eleven years in the great white north, I didn't leave the place for the first nine or ten. When I was geared up and ready to go visit a friend down here in the Lower 48, I was petrified silly.

Nowadays I'd kinda like to have the money to hop on planes and go somewhere more often.

shivam
06-23-2007, 03:58 PM
i've been flying around the world since i was three. its a joke in my family that we can be packed and ready to go to bombay faster than it takes us to go down the street.

Red Hedgehog
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I have fairly fond memories of Amtrak, but I think that's because I look on it as a college experience since it was generally my mode of transportation between my parents place and college. Honestly, most of my experiences on the train were pleasant. Usuaaly, it was a relaxing six hour trip where I could read, do homework, and listen to music. Cell phones weren't nearly as ubiquitous so there were fewer conversations to be overheard. Unlike Nadia's experiences, people knew what headphones were. Oh sure, there were a few times when there delays (mostly due to engine troubles and having to switch engines) and during peak times (Thanksgiving, mostly) it was pretty much standing room only until New York. But I was young enough then that those things didn't phase me much.

Since trains aren't usually any faster than driving in the US, I much prefer planes for longer distances. I've been flying since before I was born (and shortly thereafter) and used to quite enjoy it. Now with things like all the stupid security measures, more cramped cabins, and no meals (they were bad, but there was usually something you could find worth eating) it has become something I put up with to get to where I need to go.

Calorie Mate
06-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Funny, my two week long trip here (DC/Virginia) is coming to a close tomorrow, and I had to take Amtrak a couple days ago out of DC. This is the second or third time I've used Amtrak here, and everything you said is true.

The worst of it is, Amtrak on the West Coast isn't any better. I'll gladly pay more to fly, thanks.

JohnB
06-23-2007, 06:03 PM
who the hell are you

YOU WIN TEH INTARWEB

*dies laughing*

~fin

nadia
06-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I take the train all the time to go to Otakon (going this year too), which is about a 15-hour trip all told ... 20 hours if you include the New York stopover bonus round where you have to fight off crazy homeless ladies with a stick. I still enjoy it to a degree ... the rocking motion of the train puts you to sleep very easily. I often pack some Gravol, which is known as something else in the States but anyway it's the stuff you take to put you to sleep when your stomach's upset. It puts me in a coma. And yes, the air conditioning is quite adequate. Most recently I took a trip into New York and that was a much nicer ride than others I've had.

I don't enjoy flying. It doesn't freak me out, but it doesn't relax me either (well okay I usually fall asleep). The only benefit I see over trains is that the trip is much faster and no one can jabber on their damn cell phones.

Since trains aren't usually any faster than driving in the US, I much prefer planes for longer distances.

Trains are much slower, actually, because they zig zag everywhere. My husband and I took the train from Toronto to NC one year, and it took almost two days to get there versus the 15 hour drive. We also made the mistake of not getting a sleeping car. /___\

Trains with sleeping cars kick a lot of ass and nullify most of the problems I've brought up. I just don't understand why people fear headphones! It's the most basic of manners.

Mightyblue
06-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I'll check out the Manhunt thread Torgo.

Otherwise, I sympathize Nadia. I had my head buried in Phantom (the book) and playing most of the way through Megaman ZX again, so I avoided most of the really horrible stuff.

Savathun
06-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Ah, I think the last time I flew was when I was five or six and I doubt I handled it well.

But my main concerns with a train are the heat (apparently not a problem) and stomach aches. I truly hate those, so I may have to find the US equivalent of Gravol. Probably gravel or something.

As for Otacon, I'd love to go to that or even Akon (which I guess is just a Texas thing, I don't know. Not a very con-centric person), but, well... Put it this way: you know in pictures of people at conventions, there's a few pretty ones, then the ugly one? I'm not keen on being the ugly one in any pictures.

valhalladeath
06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
People still ride trains?

nadia
06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Put it this way: you know in pictures of people at conventions, there's a few pretty ones, then the ugly one? I'm not keen on being the ugly one in any pictures.

The nice thing about Conventions is nobody ever bothers to mock anyone who's out of costume!

Savathun
06-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, I just figured, if I'm gonna get on a train, I might as well dress as Rinoa.

Jeanie
06-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, I just figured, if I'm gonna get on a train, I might as well dress as Rinoa.

No, no, no. Dress as Selphie and sing that stupid song the entire time.

philliam
06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
No, no, no. Dress as Selphie and sing that stupid song the entire time.

and piss off everyone

Savathun
06-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I can actually probably pull off Quistis, but she's possibly even more bland than Squall.

blitzchamp
06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Everywhere I go, I go by train. My experiences with Amtrak include:

-The woman who yells really loud over her cellphone and pretends not to be able to speak English when I tell her to shut the hell up.

HAHAHAH. Man that made me laugh!!!