PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Gaming Predictions

djSyndrome
01-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Lots of media sites are offering predictions on the state of gaming in 2008. What are yours?

-Major PS3 titles will not see release in 2008. MGS4 will probably make it, but other high-profile franchises won't - including Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo.

-Microsoft redesigns the XBox 360. The system was unveiled nearly three years ago, and is already looking long-in-the-tooth compared to the svelte Wii and sleek, futuristic PS3. Expect new, smaller glossy hardware - with HD-DVD and wireless finally on board.

-Virtual Console games to be playable on the DS. This has been hinted at by various media outlets since the Wii was announced, but 2008 may finally be the year that Nintendo mans up and lets you take your overpriced classics on the road with you. Whether this is accomplished via a RAM cartridge or new DS hardware remains to be seen.

-Sony's PS1 reissue library flounders in US, continues to grow in Japan. The Japanese get Biohazard 2. Why can't we? Expect SCEA and American publishers to continue twiddling their thumbs while Japan's library continues to flourish. Along those same lines, Sony will finally get a PlayStation store that's fully operational on the PSP.

-Square-Enix continues Port Parade with FFV and VI for DS, and resurrects another franchise for the PSP. It's questionable whether Squeenix can even develop a new game, but the remakes sell, and they do love money. FFV on the DS will show up by the end of the year in Japan, with VI coming shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, another PS1-era game gets remade for the PSP, complete with the requisite extra content and technical glitches. As much as everyone loves Vagrant Story, even with Square's new 'Ivalice Alliance' I'm still doubtful. Perhaps Chrono Cross.

Kolbe
01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Tetsuya Nomura will finally be president of Squeenix. He will try to rule all of Japan afterwards.

Sven
01-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Hm.

- The DS Outsells Everything. Yeah, I'm going out on a limb with this one.

- GT5 actually does see release. If Prologue has five tracks and 30-something cars, I figure they can cram the rest in there in time for next Christmas.

- Rock Band stalls in the market. Sad to say, but they made a ton of mistakes with it (NO WII VERSION) and not enough people want to plunk down that much money for instruments that they don't really have interest in. I'm sure EA's already thinking sequel, though; I'd expect that for next Christmas, along with the obvious GH '08.

- The market will be flooded with third-party Wii Peripherals. We'll see the first third-party Wiimotes soon, but with Wii Play continuing to sell based on the "if you give people a free remote, they'll pay for the game" theory, other companies will follow suit.

- Mario Kart won't ship in 2008. Just call it a hunch.

Dadgum Roi
01-02-2008, 07:55 AM
As much as I'd like to see it, I'm not so sanguine about VC on the DS. With Wii and DS sales outstripping their competitors by such large margins, I don't see any compelling reason for Nintendo to go this route, especially when in some cases portable VC games would compete with GBA and DS software.

cortbassist89
01-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Activision releases Band Hero: Sure, it'd been rumored there'd be a Drum Villain or Hero or whatever, but a game featuring just the one instrument will look awfully shallow compared to Rock Band. Expect a full band sometime next year.

MGS4 will be delayed again. Because the world hates me.

FFVII is finally remade... for PSP. PS3 owners cry.

FFXIII becomes vaporware--delayed again! See above.

Squeenix officially announces Chrono Break and releases it in Q4! Because I refuse to give up hope.

ShakeWell
01-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Sony either discontinues the PSP altogether, or announces the PSP2 It's been floundering since day one, and though I might actually buy one soon, I think Sony's got to be close to throwing in the towel, at least on the original.

Wii will actually get some good games that aren't first party Ok, maybe it's a pipe-dream, but I think, much like the DS, developers are finally getting that not every game has to be so waggle-riffic.

Wii-Ware is awesome, but, ultimately, underused, and only a few titles see release this year The big N is using digital distribution of retro titles better than Sony or MS, but I don't think new titles will get as big or effective of a push.

GTA IV gets delayed to fall '08 At this point, why not make it a holiday title? Yes, we all know that you can use currency to buy videogames at any time of the year, but that doesn't mean the people who make games do. And this is arguably the most anticipated sequel of the year. I mean, MGS4 is for me, but look at how many more people will have access to playing GTA IV.

Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and any other SNES RPG you want to play still don't come out on VC 'Nuff said.

Sven
01-02-2008, 08:18 AM
It wouldn't shock me in the least if GTAIV was released in October - Microsoft's probably angling for that, as it worked out so well for them with Halo 3.

It's been floundering since day one, and though I might actually buy one soon, I think Sony's got to be close to throwing in the towel, at least on the original.

Nah, the redesign's made it viable again. Sony's original goal for the system (force Nintendo capitulation by taking over the portable market while establishing UMD as new portable media standard) may have backfired spectacularly on them, but I think it's got legs yet, particularly with the PS3 integration they're now rolling out.

At the very least, I'd bet they wait for Nintendo to blink on another DS re-design before finalising what the next PSP will look like; touch capability's all but assured, but if Nintendo goes outside the box again (portable waggle?) I don't think they'd want to be caught napping.

ShakeWell
01-02-2008, 08:23 AM
-Virtual Console games to be playable on the DS. This has been hinted at by various media outlets since the Wii was announced, but 2008 may finally be the year that Nintendo mans up and lets you take your overpriced classics on the road with you. Whether this is accomplished via a RAM cartridge or new DS hardware remains to be seen.

Almost confirmed? (http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujunofushiginamachi/news.html?sid=6184206) The article says "full games," but then only specifically mentions DLC for Professor Layton. I think it's kind of implied, though.

portable waggle?

Worst idea ever.

Andrew
01-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Too Human finally sees release, gets mediocre scores.

Nah, the redesign's made it viable again. Sony's original goal for the system (force Nintendo capitulation by taking over the portable market while establishing UMD as new portable media standard) may have backfired spectacularly on them, but I think it's got legs yet, particularly with the PS3 integration they're now rolling out.

Thing is, the main problem with PSP from a business standpoint hasn't changed. The hardware sells well, but the games don't seem to sell except for Square's stuff. There are tons of people perfectly happy to use it for R**s and I**s rather than it's native software.

Duke Nukem Forever still doesn't come out.

Metal Gear Solid 4 hits PS3. Doesn't set world on fire. People expect it to sell a lot of PS3s, but I think that ship has sailed.

FFXIII is delayed until 2009. Final Fantasy XIII vs. (Nomura's project), is released on time, sells ok. Is announced for a 360 port.

Thinaran
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Square-Enix announces 3D remake of Chrono Trigger for DS

MGS4 ends with a cliffhanger, Kojima still not done with series

Half-Life 2: Episode Three ends up being the best FPS of the year

Killzone 2 comes out, sucks, and is the victim of Lair-levels of heckling

Heavy Rain comes out - blows everyone away

ScrambledGregs
01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Wii--Smash Bros. feels a shit ton; Wii is still impossible to find by mid-year if not later.

360--Sales slow down a bit.

PS3--2008 should prove to be the pivotal year for this system insofar as games and sales go.

Andrew
01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Resistance 2 hits PS3 late 2008, makes people forget about Killzone and remember that Insomniac is completely awesome.

Assassin's Creed 2 comes out late 2008, reuses assets and follows Altair again. Ends up being a good game now that the engine is done and Ubi Montreal can focus on making it a good game. Jade Raymond remains a complete fraud.

Splinter Cell: Conviction comes out, is completely mediocre. Game is massively disappointing, but moneyhats some good early reviews. A sequel is announced...(see Assassin's Creed 2).

reibeatall
01-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm fully backing every one of these.

-Duke Nukem Forever comes out in September. And it will be a multi-platform release, seeing PC and Xbox 360 on day one, with the PS3 version lagging behind for three months.

-Another Hardware Revision for Microsoft is announced, to great customer distain. Just like when they added HDMI, and when they changed to the other chip, and every other time they've added something, old customers are going to get pissed off, claming they'll never buy another Microsoft product again. They are later seen trading in their old unit for a new one at their local GameStop.

-A new 3rd-party IP will come out for the Wii, and it's going to blow everybody's minds away. And by "everybody," I mean us. Somebody's going to do something amazing with the Wii, and it's not going to be Nintendo.

-Console RPGs on the rise, shooters decline. Regardless of Jrpg or Western RPG, they're going to be big in 08.

-Smash Bros. Brawl releases, doesn't meet sales expectations. We'll see if I'm right in three months.

-A small developer from the midwest will rise to prominece. It will be their first game, and it will rock.

Makkara
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
portable waggle?
Best (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarioWare:_Twisted%21) idea ever.

Fixed. Also:

Duke Nukem Forever is released after a ridiculous development cycle, just like Prey. Also just like Prey, barely anyone cares.

dussssstin
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
-Smash Bros. Brawl releases, doesn't meet sales expectations. We'll see if I'm right in three months.

didn't you say you were picking this one up?

I think it's not gonna pick up til a month or two after its release.

Sven
01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
didn't you say you were picking this one up?

I think it's not gonna pick up til a month or two after its release.

I don't think it'll sell a million in its first month or anything like that, but I'll bet that just like SSB:M, it (a) never receives a greatest hits re-release and (b) still commands ludicrous used prices for an early-in-the-system game years from now due to steady sales over the Wii's lifespan.

Tomm Guycot
01-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Smash Bros Brawl will be the best selling Wii game of all time, just like its older brother.

ShakeWell
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Also, awesome. Let's not forget awesome.

However, Tomm, I must disagree, I think that Sunshine was not the bestselling GC game because it wasn't up to par. I think when the Wii's put out to pasture, it'll be Galaxy at the top of the Wii heap.

Alex
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I think Wii Play will end up being the best selling Wii game of all time.

dussssstin
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM

True I've sold way too many of those bundles. Man that game sucks so hard.

cortbassist89
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Duke Nukem Forever wins Game of the Year.

Microsoft releases a 360 redesign and pisses me the hell off since I just bought one a month ago.

Sonic RPG is released, to be loved only by Bioware fanboys

Tomm Guycot
01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Also, awesome. Let's not forget awesome.

However, Tomm, I must disagree, I think that Sunshine was not the bestselling GC game because it wasn't up to par. I think when the Wii's put out to pasture, it'll be Galaxy at the top of the Wii heap.

I disagree, but it's only a theory.

Nintendo has a ton of franchises and not every gamer loves all of them.

Some people don't like Mario games, and they won't buy Galaxy. But they WILL like at least a handful of Brawl characters, and get Brawl.

RAC
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Street Fighter IV will bomb, being too 2D for 3D fighting fans and too 3D for 2D fighting fans. It will probably also be really good, but expect brickbats from several major nerd herds if you try to acknowledge it. I feel sorry for anybody who has to pin a rating on that game.

Sony will continue to throw new PS3 hardware configurations at us willy-nilly instead of just lowering the goddamn price to $300 or less.

More Portal in some way, shape or form. Please, Valve?

Dragon Quest IV DS will not be released in the US, even if scheduled and advertised something will happen. I can feel it.

Bandai will continue its policy of stamping the Gundam name on homework assignments from 10 year-old amateur programmers and shoving them (both games and programmers) the hell out the door.

BEAT
01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Might as well jump on board.

No More Heroes will not be the most awesome thing ever: But good luck trying to convince me otherwise.

The Fabled Sonic Bioware RPG will never be heard of again: We will however get another Sonic Rush Game announced though. It's core mechanics will still be completely great.

Still no word on the supposed next Skies of Arcadia Game: Sadness abounds.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be announced for the 360: With bonus content and reasonable workarounds for the stupid sixaxis parts of control.

Nintendo will not be fully prepared for Smash Bros hitting the web: Expect some downtime as the force of a million angry brawlers hits Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection like a mac truck hitting a plywood wall.

The PS3 Game Draught will still be pretty bad:, after people play the hell out of MGS4, gamestops will be overflowing with used systems.

A New Zelda will be hinted at for a 2010 release: It will have a controversial Wii-based control scheme that will make us all panic needlessly.

Street Fighter IV will be da bomb, And deserves nothing short of unending universal love.
Fix'd for truth.

Excitemike
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
GTA IV will probably come out in 2008. Unless it doesn't.

Morbid Coffee
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
- EA and Harmonix will start shipping Rockband peripherals that don't break within a week.

...what?

Nicholai
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
While I will undoubtedly be wrong several times I enjoy making barely substantiated guesses and typing in bold.

Third party games will continue to be weak on the Wii in the tradition of N64 and GameCube.

People will complain about Square Enix only doing remakes, but will continue to buy each one that is released. Thus, Square Enix will announce more remakes.

360 and PS3 will both cut prices. One may approach the fabled $300 threshold. New SKUs will be shown.

Final Fantasy XIII a no-show.

PSP Game of the Year will not be a remake...but instead will be a prequel: God of War

SamuelMarston
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I'll still have too much to play.

My backlog will grow.

My girlfriend will flip her stance on videogames, and I'll never see my DS again.

ShakeWell
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I disagree, but it's only a theory.

Nintendo has a ton of franchises and not every gamer loves all of them.

Some people don't like Mario games, and they won't buy Galaxy. But they WILL like at least a handful of Brawl characters, and get Brawl.

True. Well, time will tell. I mean, I bought Galaxy, and I'll buy Brawl, so it's not like there's any favoritism on my end. I'm sure it'll be the same for you.

No More Heroes will not be the most awesome thing ever: But good luck trying to convince me otherwise.

Word. Suda51 had me at "waggle-riffic suplexes."

le geek
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

I own SM64, Sunshine and UR MR GAY but have yet to pick up Smash Brothers anything. Maybe I like my fighting games with more jiggle and less waggle <shrug>, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

BEAT
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I just realized that sentence Shakewell quoted implies that I believe that No More Heroes will not be awesome, and you will have a hard time convincing me that it is, in fact, awesome. This is exactly the opposite of what I meant to say, which is that I will think No More Heroes is awesome-sauce and nothing you can say will shake this belief.

Regardless, it seems like the message got across despite my best efforts to obscure it.

Makkara
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I own SM64, Sunshine and UR MR GAY but have yet to pick up Smash Brothers anything. Maybe I like my fighting games with more jiggle and less waggle <shrug>, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

Same here, but I don't really like fighters at all. Unless they're Soul Calibur or, in some cases, Soul Calibur II. Mostly the former, though.

le geek
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
My predictions:

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a PS3 exclusive...until it does not sell as well as expected in the west and shareholders demand a 360 version, ala Resident Evil 4.

RPGs will continue to go the way of the DS. DQ 9 will NOT make it to retail in Japan, but remakes of 4 and 5 will.

PS3 will stabilize but remain in 3rd place except in Japan.

Wii-mania will die down a bit.

My hopes:

Ghostbusters, Silent Hill 5, Samba de Amigo will all kick ass. GTA IV will have a better story than San Andreas, and not just be a pretty coat of shader paint. A Final Fantasy game of some sort will keep the Gambit system of FF12. A new Suikoden game is announced.

Calorie Mate
01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
MGS4 will sell just fine on PS3 - It'll sell enough to be profitable, and help Sony move systems. The announcement of a 360 port won't come until '09.

DQIX in Fall in Japan, slated for 2009 US - need I say more?

Despite DLC being an awesome idea, most of Rock Band 2's tracks will be available on the retail disc only - As profitable as DLC is, this is EA we're talkign about here. No doubt in my mind they'll blow it, rather than simply offering to let me fill up my harddrive space.

The redesigned guitars for RB2 will be better - A personal gripe of mine (and a lot of people) is the sludgey strum bar on the RB guitar. I expect a nice, tight one on the redesign, and I'll ultimately cave and buy it.

Band Hero announced - As someone else said, Activision will have to play ball and release a whole band. I'm torn between them releasing one game, or a Guitar Hero 4 and Drum Hero game that work in tandem.

Psyael
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
-Microsoft redesigns the XBox 360. The system was unveiled nearly three years ago, and is already looking long-in-the-tooth compared to the svelte Wii and sleek, futuristic PS3. Expect new, smaller glossy hardware - with HD-DVD and wireless finally on board.

I would actually predict this DOESN'T happen. The stuck with the design of the first one, which was ugly personified compared to the 360. They're too busy trying to get the boxes they already have to not overheat and not breakdown than to get busy on a repackaging.

Also, personally speaking, I abhor glossy plastic.

locit
01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
The next 'real' Sonic game will be announced - Media impressions of early builds will suggest tweaks to the camera and controls, and are subsequently completely ignored. Despite early footage featuring him Sonic will not be playable, but seventeen other characters (fifteen of them new to the series) will be. All of them will have different gameplay styles.

Brawl's sidescrolling segments are actually fun - and easily serve as the best console Sonic platformer in over six years.

DLC becomes big - Really, really big. Gamestop gets paranoid, enacts increasingly crazy trade-in policies that drive customers further away.

Mainstream media coverage of the Wii gets old - People finally get tired of hearing about the Wii, and coverage inevitably drops off. Everyone is happier for it.

Egarwaen
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
The next 'real' Sonic game will be announced - Media impressions of early builds will suggest tweaks to the camera and controls, and are subsequently completely ignored. Despite early footage featuring him Sonic will not be playable, but seventeen other characters (fifteen of them new to the series) will be. All of them will have different gameplay styles.

None of them will actually run fast. ;)

Here's mine:

Game reviewers will not stop badmouthing the Wii. Every time a Wii game comes out, no matter how good it is, no matter what the publication, we will be treated to a paragraph of the game reviewer spouting off about how much better it would be on some other, "real" platform. Meanwhile, people will keep buying Wiis and games as fast as Nintendo can make them.

Psyael
01-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Also, I guess I should throw this one out there, because I really hope it's true:

Next-gen jRPGs all fly out at once, and then the whole industry declines: Burned by the early not-that-great "hey look it's next gen" games like Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon, the game public gives the cold shoulder to way too many B-list and C-list jRPG series making their next-gen bow. Games more open to innovations like Infinite Undiscovery or maybe White Knight Story will see more success, but new installments of longtime series like Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean IV that are only recognized by anime/game fanboys with little casual gamer following will be bombed in the sales figures. Tales and Suikoden will likely die, Star Ocean will probably limp over to handhelds but be kept alive because Square-Enix.

Of course, big shots with major sales figures like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest will be completely unaffected by this, and just carry on.

Rosencrantz
01-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Also, I guess I should throw this one out there, because I really hope it's true:

Suikoden will likely die

I hope you die. :mad:

Seriously, you guys, most of your predictions are so negative. We had a great year for games... do most of you think that next year is going to suck because of that? I guess when it comes to predictions, pessimism is where it's at - if you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, people are pleasantly surprised instead of being disappointed.

ShakeWell
01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe I like my fighting games with more jiggle and less waggle <shrug>, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

So you like SNK fighting games (http://www.armchairempire.com/images/feature-articles/Weekly-Top-10/best-cleavage/Mai-Shiranui.jpg)?

I just realized that sentence Shakewell quoted implies that I believe that No More Heroes will not be awesome, and you will have a hard time convincing me that it is, in fact, awesome. This is exactly the opposite of what I meant to say, which is that I will think No More Heroes is awesome-sauce and nothing you can say will shake this belief.

Regardless, it seems like the message got across despite my best efforts to obscure it.

Right. I took it to mean that you knew it wouldn't be critically acclaimed, and objectively you might even say it isn't that good, but subjectively, you would be bound to it, for it will speak directly to your tastes.

I call that the "God Hand Syndrome."

spineshark
01-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Seriously, you guys, most of your predictions are so negative. We had a great year for games... do most of you think that next year is going to suck because of that? I guess when it comes to predictions, pessimism is where it's at - if you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, people are pleasantly surprised instead of being disappointed.
I'm looking forward to a lot of stuff next year, but I don't consider much of that "predictions" by any means. I'm a lot more wary of the "big" gaming events.

And more importantly, we're all undeniably elitists here. When we make negative predictions about things we like, it's probably because we think most people are too stupid to appreciate them. Which is true.

And ShakeWell, God Hand is that good. Truly.

Psyael
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM

I love it (hell I was the guy with Luca Bright avatar until today,) but it's time.

There needs to be a really cataclysmic year for "otaku culture" in America, and I suspect now is the time. Anime distribution is already collapsing, and I suspect that will continue until you're left with ADV, Bandai, and 4Kids as the remaining big names. Games are next, but while this has been a bad thing for anime it'll be a good thing for games. It means more unique innovative games, and less Japan-O-Rama garbage featuring a boy who can't remember his own past and his sorta-kinda-girlfriend and a wide-eyed mascot character stopping his childhood rival from achieving godhood while managing their summons and HPs, all in typical anime form.

Those games will still be around, but it'll be the big sellers who have enough momentum to weather the storm. Developers will instead stop their tired, cliche'd, run of the mill products and focus on new ideas.

The fact that everybody is going nuts over Wii's and peripheral-based music games right now is only the opening of the floodgates. By the end of the year, fanboys of all things Japan should be a tiny minority of the gameplay audience, and not a profitable group worth catering to.

If it makes you feel better, mangas will probably remain successful, since DC/Marvel can't compete with their price point.

Tomm Guycot
01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
And more importantly, we're all undeniably elitists here. When we make negative predictions about things we like, it's probably because we think most people are too stupid to appreciate them. Which is true.

By what logic?

Speak for yourself.

Tomm Guycot
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Maybe I like my fighting games with more jiggle and less waggle <shrug>, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

There's no waggle in Brawl.

Alixsar
01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
- Rock Band stalls in the market. Sad to say, but they made a ton of mistakes with it (NO WII VERSION) and not enough people want to plunk down that much money for instruments that they don't really have interest in. I'm sure EA's already thinking sequel, though; I'd expect that for next Christmas, along with the obvious GH '08.

Well, this has already come true. I was at the Playstation Store in the Metreon yesterday and they had a stack of Rock Band Bundles for the PS3 that was almost as tall as I was. At least 15-20 copies, just sitting there. And I was at my local Wal-Mart the week that the PS2 Rock band came out, and they had 4 or 5 copies of the PS2 and 360 bundles just lying around. I agree about Rock Band 2 coming out, but...

Rock Band continues to deliver bit-sized morsels of DLC, full album downloads continue to be delayed until Summer. Pricing is ridiculous, probably 20 dollars an album. Man I hope I'm wrong about this one.

So anyway, on with the rest of the predictions!

People continue to think that Guitar Hero is better than Rock Band, even though Rock Band is clearly the better gaming experience, albeit a slightly less challenging one. This is obviously just my opinion, but as a former GH-sympathizer turned RB acolyte, I hope that people see the light. I really, really do.

No More Heroes sells, like, five copies. It's also really good, and a real shame that no one will ever buy it. This is pretty much a guarantee.

Rez HD comes out, I upgrade my sound system and start smoking pot on a regular basis. Again, pretty much a guarantee.

Soul Calibur IV comes out; you don't stand a chance against my Siegfried. This is a fact.

Smash Bros. Brawl/MGS4 don't sell as well as people expect them to. Devil May Cry 4 is the big hit of the first half of 08'.

MGS4 comes out on time, but a new version is announced for 360/PS3 with bonus features similar to MGS3 Subsistence and MGS2 Substance. Expected late 2008, but a delay is extremely possible.

Bonus! New Year's Resolution!

I finally break down and spend all the money it will take to get Wi-Fi going in my house and get my 360 and Wii online. I really don't want to spend that much money, but god damn it I need to get my 360 (and to a lesser extent, my Wii) online.

Psyael
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't Rez be one of those games that would be much more fun on a Wii? Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the ten people who bought it on PS2, and the weakness is that using a stick to control that targeting reticle just seems wrong.

SamuelMarston
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM

I'm kind of hoping for some down-time in quality gaming so I can get caught up.

Tomm Guycot
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
MGS4 comes out on time, but a new version is announced for 360/PS3 with bonus features similar to MGS3 Subsistence and MGS2 Substance. Expected late 2008, but a delay is extremely possible.

The previous "S" versions have all been released a year and a half after the original version.

So this one just isn't happening.

mopinks
01-02-2008, 06:16 PM

I must object! you can turn 'Shake Smash' on when you're playing with the Nunchuck+Wiimote!

...I'm done objecting.

Dadgum Roi
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I finally break down and spend all the money it will take to get Wi-Fi going in my house and get my 360 and Wii online. I really don't want to spend that much money, but god damn it I need to get my 360 (and to a lesser extent, my Wii) online.

Nintendo sells a USB dongle for around fifty dollars if you don't have a router.

le geek
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Messin' up my bad poetry with facts <grumble grumble grumble>

Dadgum Roi
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
GTA IV will have a better story than San Andreas, and not just be a pretty coat of shader paint.

I thought that San Andreas had the best story in the series. It was the first one to feature any narrative character progression.

SamuelMarston
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Messin' up my bad poetry with facts <grumble grumble grumble>

I don't know if it's good poetry or bad acid.

reibeatall
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Xbox 360 remodel/new sku already true? (http://stuff.tv/News/BIG-IN-2008-Xbox-Ultimate/)

Adrenaline
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I thought that San Andreas had the best story in the series. It was the first one to feature any narrative character progression.

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you.

Sven
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
People continue to think that Guitar Hero is better than Rock Band, even though Rock Band is clearly the better gaming experience, albeit a slightly less challenging one.

The majority of people are still more likely to play the games either by themselves or co-op online, which is where RB falls short (aside from not having the balls to put in a song as ridiculously over the top as Through the Fire and Flames). As accurate as it may be to have all the dead patches, RB isn't great in single-player. I think GHIII's too hard even on merely Hard, but people are always going to choose difficult activity over well-balanced passivity.

And, yeah, I tossed in that prediction because I wanted a decent hit ratio. Putting a game that's best when played at parties on every system OTHER than the one that's built its entire reputation on "is really awesome at parties" was mind-bogglingly stupid.

Andrew
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Kotaku is reporting a rumor from Stuff, expected to be confirmed in a week at CES, that an Ultimate 360 with a 320 GB HD and HD-DVD will announced.

"1080p HDMI output, built-in Wi-Fi, hi-def audio output, cooler 65nm hardware architecture and a near-silent fan." On top of all that, the IPTV service that MS touted at last year's CES will be good to go.

Also included in the Ultimate, according to Stuff? A 320GB hard drive and HD-DVD drive.

reibeatall
01-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Kotaku is reporting a rumor from Stuff, expected to be confirmed in a week at CES, that an Ultimate 360 with a 320 GB HD and HD-DVD will announced.

Xbox 360 remodel/new sku already true? (http://stuff.tv/News/BIG-IN-2008-Xbox-Ultimate/)

Jawaboy
01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and any other SNES RPG you want to play still don't come out on VC 'Nuff said.

Didn't Mario RPG already get confirmed by it's being rated by the ESRB? I could have sworn I read that somewhere...

Anyway my predictions:

MGS4 makes it out in 08 but no other big game does for the PS3 - Delay Delay Delay

Square makes a full RTS for the Wii. - For some reason I just get this feeling we're going to get a Revent Wings/Hero's of Mana type game for the Wii.

Starcraft 2 releases towards the year's end and it's plot set's up Universe of Starcraft. WoW starts it's decline - A long shot I know as Blizzard isn't exactly known for the speedy release of games. But maybe Blizzard-Activision will be more timely.

G3r4kvn
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Let the predictions begin!!!

Third pokemon installment for the DS announced and released, a la yellow/crystal/emerald, same game, very dull extras... (i'll buy it anyway...)

The Wii will experience the begining of his peak, when a method for SD hacking will let us experiment freeware, customizing and a lot of possibilities, like a PSP... only with a wiimote and better

Portal will be made into a sci-fi/comedy/romance movie thats gonna capture our hearts and the new era of a war-less mankind will start, or not...

Red Hedgehog
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
B]Dragon Quest IV DS will not be released in the US,[/B] even if scheduled and advertised something will happen. I can feel it.

I... I hate you.

Alixsar
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't Rez be one of those games that would be much more fun on a Wii? Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the ten people who bought it on PS2, and the weakness is that using a stick to control that targeting reticle just seems wrong.

No, because then it wouldn't be HD which is what I'm really looking forward to (480p doesn't count).

The previous "S" versions have all been released a year and a half after the original version.

So this one just isn't happening.

That's fair. It's mostly wishful thinking on my part, but I did say that it would inevitably be delayed into 2009, so I've got myself covered. I'd say probably a little over a year from whenever the PS3 version does eventually come out if I had to pick a date.

Nintendo sells a USB dongle for around fifty dollars if you don't have a router.

Yeah, but it would actually be easier for me to set up Wi-Fi than to go through all the work it would take to get a wired set up working. Just way more expensive.

And man, I hope those rumors of the upgraded 360s are false. I'd be so upset if I had to keep my older/already semi-broken 360 knowing that there were better models out there, and even more upset if I needed to shell out the extra money required to get one of those new models (which I probably would).

RAC
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I... I hate you.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll probably hate me too if I turn out to be right.

nadia
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I love it (hell I was the guy with Luca Bright avatar until today,) but it's time.

Not until Suikoden II gets a remake on the PSP, pls.

The majority of people are still more likely to play the games either by themselves or co-op online, which is where RB falls short (aside from not having the balls to put in a song as ridiculously over the top as Through the Fire and Flames). As accurate as it may be to have all the dead patches, RB isn't great in single-player. I think GHIII's too hard even on merely Hard, but people are always going to choose difficult activity over well-balanced passivity.

Yeah, my friends are rarely in one place long enough to play something like Rock Band. At the same time, I detest what's been done to the Guitar Hero franchise. Hey, let's give Judy Nails a gigantic rack for no good reason!

reibeatall
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Not until Suikoden II gets a remake on the PSP, pls.

Nooooooooooooooooooo! (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-14el.html)

Torgo
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
- Rock Band stalls in the market. Sad to say, but they made a ton of mistakes with it (NO WII VERSION) and not enough people want to plunk down that much money for instruments that they don't really have interest in.
Interestingly, my one solid prediction for '08 was going to be Rock Band for Wii.

Point in fact, I'm more or less counting on it. Did they ever say that it wasn't going to happen?

Sanagi
01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Nintendo will announce their new console, titled "Puu," which will translate thoughts directly into reality. Your grandmother will complain that Nintendo no longer cares about hardcore gamers.

Dadgum Roi
01-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Yeah, but it would actually be easier for me to set up Wi-Fi than to go through all the work it would take to get a wired set up working. Just way more expensive.

It's a WiFi device- you plug it into a USB port and it acts in lieu of a wireless router for the Wii and DS. But if you want to get a 360 online, it might be better to just go ahead and get a regular router.

ShakeWell
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM

I'm denying it.

And ShakeWell, God Hand is that good. Truly.

Oh, I know it is. I just understand why alot of people don't like it. I think it distinctly speaks to older-school gamers (which is why I hate that it doesn't have co-op), but I am one, so I love it.

Calorie Mate
01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Interestingly, my one solid prediction for '08 was going to be Rock Band for Wii.

Point in fact, I'm more or less counting on it. Did they ever say that it wasn't going to happen?

It was rumored (I think the producer said "They're looking into it,") so I'd back this prediction as well.

Also: as far as Rock Band is concerned, I can think of maybe two ro three songs out of the 60+ that aren't fun to play on guitar. Every song is a blast on drums, and I never sing unless I'm playing with other people anyway. Once they patch Band World Tour mode for online play (or include it as a feature for RB2), the game will be as close to perfect as it can get.

I'll throw a sure-bet out there:

Persona 3: FES will be announced for and released in the US. Once out, every other thread on Talking Time will be hijacked into more Persona discussion.

Sven
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM

No, but Kotaku this morning had another non-confirmation report this morning (the type that the Gamecube years have taught people that, when coming from EA, means "we aren't going to make it for this specific console, so go away.") The ship has pretty much sailed at this point - they might as well give up and try for RB2.

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Persona 3 FES is released. It is the Fun Club's RPG of the Month. Such heated discussion ensues that we exceed the bandwith and the forums break

wahoninja
01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Smash Bros Brawl will be the best selling Wii game of all time, just like its older brother.

Wii Play says, hi.

Guy
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
New Batman game will be revealed, look awesome but turn out not to be

Assassin's Creed 2 will be revealed, look awesome and actually maybe turn out to be

Chrono Trigger 3 for cellphones

Mother 3 US (I got a good feeling)

Black Mesa: Source will hurry the hell up

Alex
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Mother 3 US is not announced, but a Japanese Mother 3 release for cellphones is.

Fix'd

djSyndrome
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Fix'd

Except Nintendo doesn't do cell phone games.

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Once again, knowledge has crushed my soul.

Calorie Mate
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM

...Not content with owning only half the world, Nintendo announces it will start producing cell phone games.

...also, guys, stop tugging at my heartstrings with all this Mother 3 stuff. :(

Merus
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
The Wii will continue to steam on - it will continue to sell out until at least July, and most of the talk about consumers getting bored of the Wii or its graphics will dry up. The PS2 will continue to sell for much the same reason.

The PS3 will gain one must-play game other than Metal Gear Solid 4. There will be all sorts of smartass comments by Kotaku.

There will be some talk about the Xbox 360 spinning its wheels, failing to respond to the Wii with what will be characterised as a resurgent PS3. Not much, mind you - the 360 is bound to be a prime gamer's platform and a close-to-solid second place.

The PS3 will continue to be third place. It will have both its fans and excellent games worth the price of admission, and it will continue to be mocked for being unpopular, in the way that the gaming press manages to do when it's trying to be funny.

Smash Bros. Brawl will sell less than expected. There will be hand-wringing.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will sell well in Japan and Europe, but not as well in America. This will for some reason surprise people, despite that fitting the pattern of previous MGS games and the PS3 install base.

Spore will be delayed again. No guesses as to if it'll come out this year, though.

Final Fantasy XIII, if it is released in 2008, will sell like hotcakes and will garner mediocre reviews.

Wii Fit will sell well - not as well as Japan, but well. There will be more handwringing about Wii Fit selling well and Brawl not, as reviewers start to get a taste of what it's like for other reviewers.

Professor Layton will sell enough for the sequel to be confirmed for US release.

2008 will see a new classic RPG and FPS see release.

Wrath of the Lich King will get a solid release date - either in 2009, or December 2008.

There will be no serious contenders to WOW for the MMO genre king. Both Warhammer and Age of Conan will be seen as being too similar to WOW.

Valve will stop pretending they're doing 'episodic' content in the leadup to Episode Three.

Dark rumours will swirl about Activision Blizzard that will remind commentators of similar rumours around EA a few years back. Not sure what type - could be work policies, could be quality control.

There will be no odd-ball breakout franchise (like a Katamari) next year.

Despite plenty of hand-wringing, there will be nothing much done about the state of game reviews. No-one trusts the scores, developers find them generally wastes of time, editors get fired over negative reviewers of advertisers, and analysis gets more credit than reviews anyway. Yet the 'gamers' will continue to be blamed for the existence of scores, or Metacritic; developers will continue to whine into the void; no-one will care much about enthusiast editor integrity except the editors themselves and internet toughguys like us; and everyone will continue to secretly think of N'Gai Croal as a bit of a windbag. Change will not happen until change is forced, and there's too much at stake for change to be forced.

An indy game will get a large amount of enthusiast press attention. It will not feature on those same publication's yearly Best Of lists, despite having a surprising amount of influence on future games and appearing on the occasional Best Games of All Time list.

Something will happen this year that absolutely no-one will have predicted. The 2009 how-did-I-do-with-my-predictions annual will have comments from all quarters chuckling about how we all know that didn't happen.

Parish will delete some part of the site, either accidentally or not. Every list needs at least one controversial entry.

While it seems like I'm being conservative, some of these I think are quite daring, albeit about really boring things.

Maigo
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Pokemon Battle Revolution 2. PBR done right--with online tournaments (special and regular), rankings, voice communication, and a RPG mode.

Pokemon Battle Revolution DS. Seemless international battles between Wii and DS opponents. There's no reason this shouldn't exist. Please exist. Ok?

Sami
01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
In the year 2008...

Hearing people's confusion over the different PS3 configurations, Sony releases a vastly redesigned PS3... and christens it the PlayStation 4.

However, with the confusion now removed, Sony proceeds to profit from the redesign... and releases three different PS4 SKUS within half a year.

The Wii raincheck program at Gamestop proves a success, with every buyer receiving their Wii and receiving their thanks... at the price of cutting all of Wii's January retail supply.

With January purchasers angry at Nintendo for lack of Wii shipments to retailers, Nintendo delivers another ingenious plan... and authorizes Gamestop to sell Wii rainchecks for guaranteed delivery in February.

Revealing the Xbox 360 Ultimate with a 320 gig HD at CES 2008, Microsoft decides to take a stab at Wii services like internet browsing, news and Weather Channel... and releases their new non-gaming killer app, Windows Vista for Xbox 360.

Likewise following through on rumors, Microsoft reveals that they're working on a motion-sensitive controller... however, wanting to one-up Nintendo, Microsoft reveals their controller has three sepate parts.

What can I say? 2008 is going to be a crazy year.

reibeatall
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
The Wii raincheck program at Gamestop proves a success, with every buyer receiving their Wii and receiving their thanks... at the price of cutting all of Wii's January retail supply.

At this point, all my customers who did the raincheck had their Wii before the new year, except for one crazy ass woman who wouldn't show up, no matter how many times we called. She finally got her system on the 1st. We also got more in yesterday, and sold them to whoever wanted it.

ShakeWell
01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh, I forgot one: Penny-Arcade Adventures: Episode One: On the Rain-Slick Precipace of Darkness will be both awesome and hilarious. It will succeed where The Simpsons Game(s) failed, in terms of general satire and game satire. Also, people who don't like Penny-Arcade will bash it without having played it, say it's "gay" and/or "not funny."

Which reminds me of one more: Xbox Live will still be populated by assholes who call you "gay" and/or "a Jew."

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Nintendo and Game Freak will partner with Blizzard-Activision to deliver unto us: Pokemon The Glorious MMO. I want this.

Calorie Mate
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Nintendo and Game Freak will partner with Blizzard-Activision to deliver unto us: Pokemon The Glorious MMO. I want this.

Ok guys, we're officially not doing predictions anymore...we've firmly stepped into the realm of "wishes" at this point.

Mr. Sensible
01-03-2008, 04:59 PM

I'm afraid civilization could grind to a halt as a result of something like this. Dear lord...what have you done?

Tomm Guycot
01-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah, it's not a wish thread guys. We're supposed to make estimated predictions as to the year to come. Here are mine:

Smash Bros Brawl will be super huge. Everyone who is now saying it's overhyped will continue to complain that it was overhyped. Also, they will say Melee was better even though it wasn't.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will move PS3's. Everyone who said it wouldn't happen will continue to say nobody is buying MGS4, and that the PS3 has no good games. Everyone who said it was overhyped will insist that it was overhyped. They will also claim early trailers were CG and not representative of the final product, despite this being false.

Mario Kart will be delayed to fall or '09. Nintendo will announce the next Wii Zelda by the end of the year. The same people who said Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were too formulaic will be bitching about proposed changes to the system.

People will complain about Nintendo abandoning the Hard Core almost constantly all year.

Nintendo will announce the followup to Nintendogs.

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I honestly do think a Pokemon MMO is inevitable, if Nintendo loves money and awesomeness. Seriously, how have they not already made one? It's not like anyone cares about the plot by now, it's all about virtual cockfighting, that's where its at.

Lego Batman will be a financial success, if not critical. Expect more Lego Insert-IP-Here games to be announced in its wake.

Grand Theft Auto IV will be delayed.

Fable 2 will not live up to the hype.

The Incredible Hulk movie will be a critical and financial hit; the game, not so much.

Alan Wake's release date will be announced for late Q2. It will have mediocre (p)reviews, prompting a delay into Q4.

Rosencrantz
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I honestly do think a Pokemon MMO is inevitable, if Nintendo loves money and awesomeness. Seriously, how have they not already made one? It's not like anyone cares about the plot by now, it's all about virtual cockfighting, that's where its at.

Nintendo's fondness of Friend Codes says otherwise. They don't want the 10 year old players chatting with the creepy adult players.

Octopus Prime
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Most of the regular adult players want to avoid chatting with the creepy adult players too...

See if you can spot the common theme among MY predictions!

The Acitivision/Blizzard partnership will result in a Warcraft game for consoles. Likely to be a dungeon crawler instead of a "World of" or RTS style. Fanboys will complain.

Call of Duty 5 will have a very similar setting to CoD4, but will continue to be a very, very, very well made game, and will generate only a few complaints for this. Fanboys will complain.

The Ghostbusters game will receive decent, if not amazing scores. Fanboys will complain. I'll end up buying it regardless.

Microsoft will announce a motion sensitive add-on for the 360. Fanboys will complain.

Crimson Skies 2 will be real and it'll be awesome and everyone who doesn't think so is WRONG! Fanboys will complain.

An actual Megaman Legends 3 will be released. The first two will be available as well. Fanboys will complain.

Persona 3: FES will get released. Persona 4 will remain a pipedream for a while yet. Fanboys will complain... about something.

Dragon Quest 9 will be delayed. Fanboys will have something worth complaining about.

G3r4kvn
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Nintendo's fondness of Friend Codes says otherwise. They don't want the 10 year old players chatting with the creepy adult players.

You have a keyboard full of truth, besides, the kind of game scheme that pokemon is wouldn't succeed being a MMO, Gamefreaks would have to break down the pokemon we know for it to fit in a MMO...

reibeatall
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Call of Duty 5 will have a very similar setting to CoD4, but will continue to be a very, very, very well made game, and will generate only a few complaints for this. Fanboys will complain.

This has already been disproven. Treyarch (uuugggghhhhh) has development for CoD5, and it's back to WWII.

dussssstin
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow that's disappointing Treyarch blows.

Octopus Prime
01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Then replace the number 4 with 3.

My point stands.

Tomm Guycot
01-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I just have two comments:

An actual Megaman Legends 3 will be released. The first two will be available as well. Fanboys will complain.

Considering this hasn't even been announced - it's not possible for this to happen in 08. Must as we'd all love it.

Persona 3: FES will get released. Persona 4 will remain a pipedream for a while yet. Fanboys will complain... about something.

You know Persona 4 has already been announced, right?

alexb
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I predict that my XBox 360 will RROD in 2008.

dosboot
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
This thread needs more dredging up of last year's predictions. I give you this:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3156194

SamuelMarston
01-03-2008, 09:50 PM

From 1up.com's 2007 predictions:
"Bioshock Will be a Bioflop
Irrational Games cofounder Ken Levine will deliver another award-winning-caliber game, and no one will buy it. This will consign the hardware-less Bioshock to appear on everyone's "Best Game of 2007 that no one played" list. It's a shame really, that still so many people have never played System Shock 2. Chances are you're one of them."

I'm so glad this wasn't the case.

djSyndrome
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
You know Persona 4 has already been announced, right?

Have we truly moved to an era where the bean counters are the ones to spill the beans?

Adrenaline
01-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I wonder how heavily annoyed Infinity Ward is that Treyarch now gets to muddle their series with numbered titles instead of just sidestory-thingies.

Makkara
01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Crimson Skies 2 will be real and it'll be awesome and everyone who doesn't think so is WRONG! Fanboys will complain.

That should be Crimson Skies 3, considering the Xbox game was a sequel to one for the PC.

Considering this hasn't even been announced - it's not possible for this to happen in 08. Must as we'd all love it.

It's not possible for a game to be announced and released in the same year? Even if the development takes more than a year, it could have been started silently. It could be going on right now! It's not, though.

Merus
01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Bioshock Will be a Bioflop
Irrational Games cofounder Ken Levine will deliver another award-winning-caliber game, and no one will buy it. This will consign the hardware-less Bioshock to appear on everyone's "Best Game of 2007 that no one played" list. It's a shame really, that still so many people have never played System Shock 2. Chances are you're one of them."

I remember saying this, and am so glad that I was wrong.

I can't ever see there being a Pokemon MMO. I doubt Nintendo's even interested in doing an MMO, although personally I'd much prefer to see a Zelda MMO (although I have no confidence in Aonuma's ability to pull it off).

Andrew
01-04-2008, 05:58 AM
None of them will actually run fast. ;)

Here's mine:

Game reviewers will not stop badmouthing the Wii. Every time a Wii game comes out, no matter how good it is, no matter what the publication, we will be treated to a paragraph of the game reviewer spouting off about how much better it would be on some other, "real" platform. Meanwhile, people will keep buying Wiis and games as fast as Nintendo can make them.

Gee, I wonder why. (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/15048/1/2.jpg)

Sami
01-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Gee, I wonder why. (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/15048/1/2.jpg)

Wow, that looks awesome. This is what more games should be!

Tomm Guycot
01-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Have we truly moved to an era where the bean counters are the ones to spill the beans?

Dammit you're right. That was from that financial report thing.

Ugh. I hate this industry.

le geek
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Hmm, most of them are wrong...except "You'll Have to Wait for '08" and maybe "Square Enix Will Get Even Crazier"

Jeanie
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM

The Vista one was so funny. I also laughed at the Fighting Game one too.

Calorie Mate
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Every poster makes mistakes, but you abused that privilege!

ShakeWell
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Almost confirmed? (http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujunofushiginamachi/news.html?sid=6184206) The article says "full games," but then only specifically mentions DLC for Professor Layton. I think it's kind of implied, though.

Boo/hiss. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165237)

Sprite
01-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Etrian Odyssey 2 will be released by the end of the year. Although the graphics will be largely unchanged, the adjustments to the game system will be a marked improvement over the already amazing original.

The Wii will continue to see a steady flow of mediocre games and shallow but fun games. However, it will still see more and better hardcore games than the Gamecube's second year.

Shiren the Wanderer will make for a very interesting Fun Club. Only one or two people participating will actually finish the game.

Zack and Wiki see a small influx in sale due to word of mouth. Ebay prices will rise before Capcom announces a small re-issuing of the title. Unfortunately, the effort will not be enough to merit a Wii sequel.

Smash Bros.'s Online Mode "Play With Anyone" will deteriorate after six months once the metagame emerges and 80% of players use the same guy. The highest tier character will not be Fox, however, but Sonic. Talking Time's Smash groups, though, will be awesome forever.

One or more of the three consoles will receive an update which will remove some functionality in exchange for security. Ironically, the move will spur a glut of modded systems.

I will begin attending grad school and see a tremendous drop in disposable income and free time. Videogames will disappear almost entirely from my life and I will be forced to stay a year behind the times. I'll never be able to play another new Shin Megami Tensei game due to eBay pricing. No one will want to play Street Fighter or Smash Bros. with me. I will, however, find true love.

One person on Talking Time will discover they actually like Unlimited Saga.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Every poster makes mistakes, but you abused that privilege!

Leave me to my fevered dreams, please.

ShakeWell
01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
One person on Talking Time will discover they actually like Unlimited Saga, and it will be revealed that they're on the Squeenix payroll.

Fix'd.

Eusis
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I wonder how heavily annoyed Infinity Ward is that Treyarch now gets to muddle their series with numbered titles instead of just sidestory-thingies.
I'm suspecting very. There's a little 3 right next to their logo at the title screen, and that credit rap keeps dragging up that this is Infinity Ward's 3rd game. I don't think they'd feel any need to point this out so much if they weren't miffed with Treyarch/Activision! But then this is the first CoD I owned and played beyond a demo, so I have no idea if 2 did this too.

My predictions? Hmmm... More remakes/spin offs from Square Enix. No original titles announced. Pretty much a guarantee anyway, since FFV and VI are probably getting the remake treatment and Last Remnant is one of the only original titles in years SE has announced. I can think of Radiata Stories, but that was tri-Ace so it's questionable if that counts.

More decent third party Wii titles start to arrive. I imagine the development cycle for a 'fuller' console game is much longer than that for a similar handheld title. The DS managed to get awesome games just a year later, but with the Wii's success there were probably a bunch of projects only started once they were flying off shelves. No More Heroes could be the start of this. These games could, however, pretty much ignore the waggle like a lot of awesome DS games have.

I can't think of anything else to throw in that others haven't already said (CoD5 reception, **** Hero in response to Rock Band), but as a last thing I'd also like to say I'm glad the Bioflop prediction was completely wrong.

Adrenaline
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm suspecting very. There's a little 3 right next to their logo at the title screen, and that credit rap keeps dragging up that this is Infinity Ward's 3rd game. I don't think they'd feel any need to point this out so much if they weren't miffed with Treyarch/Activision! But then this is the first CoD I owned and played beyond a demo, so I have no idea if 2 did this too.

4 was the first time they had the opportunity, since 3 was the first time someone else made it. There were 3 more made by others, but they were an expansion and two console originals.

cortbassist89
01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
To expand on the Band Hero prediction, I also guarantee Activision will deny its a response to Rock Band. They will likely say "It's been in development this whole time."

Merus
12-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Alright, it's the end of 2008 so here's the other end of the cliche: looking back to see how wrong you were.

The Wii will continue to steam on - it will continue to sell out until at least July, and most of the talk about consumers getting bored of the Wii or its graphics will dry up. The PS2 will continue to sell for much the same reason.

First half was right, second half was so, so wrong.

The PS3 will gain one must-play game other than Metal Gear Solid 4. There will be all sorts of smartass comments by Kotaku.

I'll give them this one, even though I'm not sure how many smartass comments Kotaku have been making recently. Nor do I care!

There will be some talk about the Xbox 360 spinning its wheels, failing to respond to the Wii with what will be characterised as a resurgent PS3. Not much, mind you - the 360 is bound to be a prime gamer's platform and a close-to-solid second place.

Didn't really happen - people seem pretty satisfied with their 360s.

The PS3 will continue to be third place. It will have both its fans and excellent games worth the price of admission, and it will continue to be mocked for being unpopular, in the way that the gaming press manages to do when it's trying to be funny.

Boy, this wasn't hard.

Smash Bros. Brawl will sell less than expected. There will be hand-wringing.

Apparently it didn't sell great in Europe, and Nintendo did the hand-wringing, but I can't really give myself this one.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will sell well in Japan and Europe, but not as well in America. This will for some reason surprise people, despite that fitting the pattern of previous MGS games and the PS3 install base.

I'm not seeing a huge amount of surprise here - MGS4 sold like gangbusters.

Interestingly, a lot of these are assuming that the game comes out and people love them to death, which actually didn't happen - they sold well, but they were disappointing, nevertheless.

Spore will be delayed again. No guesses as to if it'll come out this year, though.

Actually, I think Spore was pushed back once more since early 2008.

Final Fantasy XIII, if it is released in 2008, will sell like hotcakes and will garner mediocre reviews.

Dodged a bullet there. Sadly, I can't take any credit for seeing that overhyped games that put pretty graphics before gameplay would be a theme of 2008, because I was thinking specifically of Tetsuya Nomura and Kingdom Hearts. Who managed to deliver one of my favourite games this year.

Wii Fit will sell well - not as well as Japan, but well. There will be more handwringing about Wii Fit selling well and Brawl not, as reviewers start to get a taste of what it's like for other reviewers.

Actually, the handwringing was more about the Wii in general. People don't seem to mind Wii Fit a whole lot. Also, it sold gangbusters, so this one's wrong as well.

Professor Layton will sell enough for the sequel to be confirmed for US release.

:(

2008 will see a new classic RPG and FPS see release.

I forget how I was supposed to interpret this one - as a really excellent game, or as a "classic" game getting a rerelease? In any case, for either interpretation we've got some solid RPGs, but for FPSs... I'm having a hard time thinking of anything in 2008 that could be deemed a "classic", unless we count Portal: Still Alive for the 360 for rereleases.

Wrath of the Lich King will get a solid release date - either in 2009, or December 2008.

November 2008 is close enough for horseshoes, because no-one expects Blizzard to move that fast.

There will be no serious contenders to WOW for the MMO genre king. Both Warhammer and Age of Conan will be seen as being too similar to WOW.

Right prediction, wrong reason - Blizzard once again stepped up their quest and environment design, while Age of Conan was riddled with bugs and Warhammer was tedious. Neither game's accused of being too similar to WoW, but neither was compared favourably.

Valve will stop pretending they're doing 'episodic' content in the leadup to Episode Three.

You know what, I'm going to give myself this one. Episode 3 is being treated as just another release - so much so that Valve released another game between Episode 2 and 3, Left 4 Dead. There's been no mention of Episode 3 since 2 came out, and the lesson Valve appears to have learned is that because they don't have to bother boxing up their games any more they don't have to sit at the same price point as all the other games on the shelf - so they can charge $20 for a short, more focused game.

Dark rumours will swirl about Activision Blizzard that will remind commentators of similar rumours around EA a few years back. Not sure what type - could be work policies, could be quality control.

Well, people sure don't like Activision Blizzard but I was waiting for the actual connection between Activision and EA, which didn't happen. People aren't yet noticing that history repeats itself.

There will be no odd-ball breakout franchise (like a Katamari) next year.

Well, I sure didn't expect the rise of the indie game this year - I thought it'd start, but I didn't think it'd be this quick. But I'd be surprised if 2D Boy didn't have a bright future, and more longevity than Katamari. The World Ends With You probably also counts here.

Despite plenty of hand-wringing, there will be nothing much done about the state of game reviews. No-one trusts the scores, developers find them generally wastes of time, editors get fired over negative reviewers of advertisers, and analysis gets more credit than reviews anyway. Yet the 'gamers' will continue to be blamed for the existence of scores, or Metacritic; developers will continue to whine into the void; no-one will care much about enthusiast editor integrity except the editors themselves and internet toughguys like us; and everyone will continue to secretly think of N'Gai Croal as a bit of a windbag. Change will not happen until change is forced, and there's too much at stake for change to be forced.

Lots of talk about "what game reviews are for" (Shawn Elliott is the latest) but we're still stuck with the same problems we were at the start of the year. And N'Gai Croal is still considered a windbag.

An indy game will get a large amount of enthusiast press attention. It will not feature on those same publication's yearly Best Of lists, despite having a surprising amount of influence on future games and appearing on the occasional Best Games of All Time list.

Braid. The future-looking stuff is too early to call, but I'd bet money that someone will lift the last level of Braid for their own game.

Something will happen this year that absolutely no-one will have predicted. The 2009 how-did-I-do-with-my-predictions annual will have comments from all quarters chuckling about how we all know that didn't happen.

This was a gimme one, and hey look that happened: we didn't predict that AAA titles would almost universally disappoint.

Parish will delete some part of the site, either accidentally or not. Every list needs at least one controversial entry.

And sadly the "controversy" didn't happen - in fact, Gamespite went from strength to strength this year.

I had a really terrible strikerate!

Torgo
12-20-2008, 07:25 PM
...my one solid prediction for '08 was going to be Rock Band for Wii.
Well that was easy.

Beyond that, this year pretty much defied all expectations. I've already elaborated it on elsewhere, but as a gamer this was pretty much the best year evar from all the places I didn't expect.

reibeatall
12-20-2008, 08:40 PM

-Duke Nukem Forever comes out in September. And it will be a multi-platform release, seeing PC and Xbox 360 on day one, with the PS3 version lagging behind for three months.

:( At least they've given us another teaser.

-Another Hardware Revision for Microsoft is announced, to great customer distain. Just like when they added HDMI, and when they changed to the other chip, and every other time they've added something, old customers are going to get pissed off, claming they'll never buy another Microsoft product again. They are later seen trading in their old unit for a new one at their local GameStop.

As far as I can remember, they didn't do any sort of hardware revision, but they DID change out the 20gb hard drive with a 60gb one. And then NXE. But again, not hardware.

-A new 3rd-party IP will come out for the Wii, and it's going to blow everybody's minds away. And by "everybody," I mean us. Somebody's going to do something amazing with the Wii, and it's not going to be Nintendo.

No More Heroes or Boom Blox. Both were awesome.

-Console RPGs on the rise, shooters decline. Regardless of Jrpg or Western RPG, they're going to be big in 08.

Uhh, well, this one didn't quite happen. We got Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Persona 4. Not quite what I thought. And then I can't say that the shooters declined, because Left 4 Dead is awesome.

Ok, I quit. I'm horrible at predictions.

-A small developer from the midwest will rise to prominece. It will be their first game, and it will rock.

Yeah, no.

I'm not good at predicting.

CaliScrub
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
As far as I can remember, they didn't do any sort of hardware revision, but they DID change out the 20gb hard drive with a 60gb one. And then NXE. But again, not hardware.

I think near the end of the year they DID start rolling out the new "Jasper" 360s with the GPU moved to a 65-nm process, thus running cooler and (presumably) reducing RRoD

Also, I'm glad to find out that they replaced the 20GB model with a 60GB one. For the longest time I'd been telling people that the hard drive options were 20 and 120, and when I read recently that the 360 Pro actually had a 60GB hard drive, I thought I had lost my mind and somehow been comparing the 20GB PS3 with the 360 Elite.

Uhh, well, this one didn't quite happen. We got Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Persona 4. Not quite what I thought.

Fallout 3 doesn't count?

Merus
12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Oh yeah, Left 4 Dead. I thought that was third-person, though? I guess it's a shooter and no-one cares about the F/TPS distinction any more.

Adrenaline
12-20-2008, 09:43 PM
No, it's first-person.

BEAT
12-20-2008, 10:18 PM
No More Heroes will not be the most awesome thing ever: But good luck trying to convince me otherwise.I'd say this was pretty accurate.The Fabled Sonic Bioware RPG will never be heard of again: We will however get another Sonic Rush Game announced though. It's core mechanics will still be completely great.Not even close.Still no word on the supposed next Skies of Arcadia Game: Sadness abounds.Half-right. We did get Valkiera Chronicles.Metal Gear Solid 4 will be announced for the 360: With bonus content and reasonable workarounds for the stupid sixaxis parts of control.Way offNintendo will not be fully prepared for Smash Bros hitting the web: Expect some downtime as the force of a million angry brawlers hits Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection like a mac truck hitting a plywood wall.Completely trueThe PS3 Game Draught will still be pretty bad:, after people play the hell out of MGS4, gamestops will be overflowing with used systems.Accurate as far as I can tellA New Zelda will be hinted at for a 2010 release: It will have a controversial Wii-based control scheme that will make us all panic needlessly.I haven't heard anything, so I'll assume I was wrong again.

Ah well. Better luck in 09, I guess.

Eusis
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.
More remakes/spin offs from Square Enix. No original titles announced.
Not completely true thankfully. While their lineup IS dominated by sequels, spin-offs, and remakes at least a few new games are creeping in. I'm pretty sure Sigma Harmonics was announced this year and Blood of Bahamut, at best, is a spin off of Bahamut Lagoon and that seems close enough to new.
More decent third party Wii titles start to arrive.
True by technicality at best unfortunately. :( But hey, beyond the obvious (No More Heroes) we did get some pretty good WiiWare stuff amidst the crap storm, and on the retail end of things we got games like Boom Blox and de Blob that I've heard turned out pretty well. 2009 seems like it will be what I expected from 2008 and at least Dragon Quest X was announced before the year closed.

spineshark
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
:( At least they've given us another teaser.
Better than that! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98)

Psyael
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Next-gen jRPGs all fly out at once, and then the whole industry declines: Burned by the early not-that-great "hey look it's next gen" games like Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon, the game public gives the cold shoulder to way too many B-list and C-list jRPG series making their next-gen bow.
Hey! I was sorta right!

Games more open to innovations like Infinite Undiscovery or maybe White Knight Story will see more success
The former wound up being Generic JRPG Next-Gen and sank to $30 in record time for it. The latter hasn't been hammered out yet still.

but new installments of longtime series like Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean IV that are only recognized by anime/game fanboys with little casual gamer following will be bombed in the sales figures.
Vesperia did great in Japan and made no real news in the US, though apparently it didn't totally embarrass itself like Valkyria did this week. I'm still pretty confident Star Ocean IV will flop here.

Tales and Suikoden will likely die, Star Ocean will probably limp over to handhelds but be kept alive because Square-Enix.
More or less getting there.

Of course, big shots with major sales figures like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest will be completely unaffected by this, and just carry on.
Absolutely.

I summed up my feelings by saying...

There needs to be a really cataclysmic year for "otaku culture" in America, and I suspect now is the time.
This more or less actually did happen, especially in anime with Geneon collapsing and ADV at death's door.

By the end of the year, fanboys of all things Japan should be a tiny minority of the gameplay audience, and not a profitable group worth catering to.
This was probably an overestimation, but it sure is a bad time to be a fan of quirky Japanese things not easily understood by American mainstream society, seeing that the life of a small import house isn't a great one right now even though Atlus USA still keeps chugging along.

And since the people who would dismiss Fallout 3 as 'too western' while wishing that dating sims would get imported to the US market are the most annoying people I've ever encountered, this has been a wonderful year of suffering.

Torgo
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
This was probably an overestimation, but it sure is a bad time to be a fan of quirky Japanese things not easily understood by American mainstream society, seeing that the life of a small import house isn't a great one right now even though Atlus USA still keeps chugging along.
Chugging along? If the number of published titles is any indication, Atlus USA is doing pretty well for itself and probably better then it ever has. Same for NISA, for that matter.

The quirky Japanese stuff may be a niche, but if it's going to become a "smaller" niche, it will only be so relative to the rest of the ever-growing industry.

Calorie Mate
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Here goes...

MGS4 will sell just fine on PS3 - It'll sell enough to be profitable, and help Sony move systems. The announcement of a 360 port won't come until '09.

As far as I can tell, the first half was right. So far so good on the port announcement, too.

DQIX in Fall in Japan, slated for 2009 US - need I say more?

Ugh, way off, and in hindsight it's kind of laughable.

Despite DLC being an awesome idea, most of Rock Band 2's tracks will be available on the retail disc only - As profitable as DLC is, this is EA we're talkign about here. No doubt in my mind they'll blow it, rather than simply offering to let me fill up my harddrive space.

Haha, 100% right on this one. (Sigh.)

The redesigned guitars for RB2 will be better - A personal gripe of mine (and a lot of people) is the sludgey strum bar on the RB guitar. I expect a nice, tight one on the redesign, and I'll ultimately cave and buy it.

Half right. It is better, but still not as tight as I thought. Also, I haven't bought one (yet).

Band Hero announced - As someone else said, Activision will have to play ball and release a whole band. I'm torn between them releasing one game, or a Guitar Hero 4 and Drum Hero game that work in tandem.

A no-brainer, but I got that one.

Persona 3: FES will be announced for and released in the US. Once out, every other thread on Talking Time will be hijacked into more Persona discussion.

Yes, I was totally right...though there wasn't as much thread hijacking as I thought/was hoping for.

...Not content with owning only half the world, Nintendo announces it will start producing cell phone games.

...also, guys, stop tugging at my heartstrings with all this Mother 3 stuff. :(

Not, not accurate, but I still firmly believe the DSi is/will be Nintendo's answer to cellphone games anyway, so there's that, at least.

And hey, joking about playing Mother 3 can no longer tug at my heartstrings, so go me!

All in all, I'd say I'm above 50% on my predictions.

Thinaran
12-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Square-Enix announces 3D remake of Chrono Trigger for DS
Way off, I'm happy to say!

MGS4 ends with a cliffhanger, Kojima still not done with series
I'm not sure if it ends on a cliffhanger as I did not play it, but second half was right.

Half-Life 2: Episode Three ends up being the best FPS of the year
Delayed!

Killzone 2 comes out, sucks, and is the victim of Lair-levels of heckling
Also delayed! This did happen with Haze, though.

Heavy Rain comes out - blows everyone away
DELAYED goddamnit

Sprite
12-21-2008, 08:22 AM
My predictions were stupid.

Etrian Odyssey 2 will be released by the end of the year. Although the graphics will be largely unchanged, the adjustments to the game system will be a marked improvement over the already amazing original.

Wow I love playing it safe. Was this not a done deal in January? I don't remember.

The Wii will continue to see a steady flow of mediocre games and shallow but fun games. However, it will still see more and better hardcore games than the Gamecube's second year.

Again, playing it safe, though I was wrong on the positive part of the prediction.

Shiren the Wanderer will make for a very interesting Fun Club. Only one or two people participating will actually finish the game.

Shiren made for an awesome Fun Club, but I was in Guatemala the whole time, so I missed it. I don't think many people finished the game that first week. We slowly made some roguelike converts however, which is awesome.

Zack and Wiki see a small influx in sale due to word of mouth. Ebay prices will rise before Capcom announces a small re-issuing of the title. Unfortunately, the effort will not be enough to merit a Wii sequel.

Seeing Phoenix Wright's eventual rising from the ashes (sorry) made me somewhat hopeful for Zack and co., but alas. Sad face.

Smash Bros.'s Online Mode "Play With Anyone" will deteriorate after six months once the metagame emerges and 80% of players use the same guy. The highest tier character will not be Fox, however, but Sonic. Talking Time's Smash groups, though, will be awesome forever.

lol sonic sux

Are people still smashing online around here? I haven't played with any of you guys in forever.

One or more of the three consoles will receive an update which will remove some functionality in exchange for security. Ironically, the move will spur a glut of modded systems.

Did... did this happen? I know modded Wiis are all the rage now, but I don't think anything's been removed or changed since that silly MP3 > AAC thing last December (which spurred me to make this prediction in the first place).

I will begin attending grad school and see a tremendous drop in disposable income and free time. Videogames will disappear almost entirely from my life and I will be forced to stay a year behind the times. I'll never be able to play another new Shin Megami Tensei game due to eBay pricing. No one will want to play Street Fighter or Smash Bros. with me. I will, however, find true love.

A horrific series of tragedies made me spiral down into the worst depression of my life and so I'm not attending grad school just yet. Video games definitely have not disappeared from my life, at all, though I haven't had much money to buy them. I might get Persona 4 for Christmas, though I may have to spot some of the money myself.

I was right on the "true love" thing. :D

One person on Talking Time will discover they actually like Unlimited Saga.

We're only two games into the series. Somewhere deep inside, I fear that when we eventually get to the game, I will be that person, and you all will hate me. I have played the game for about an hour though, and did not have a good time, so maybe I'm just imagining things.

Octopus Prime
12-21-2008, 04:14 PM
The Activision/Blizzard partnership will result in a Warcraft game for consoles. Likely to be a dungeon crawler instead of a "World of" or RTS style. Fanboys will complain.

WRONG!

WRONG!

The Ghostbusters game will receive decent, if not amazing scores. Fanboys will complain. I'll end up buying it regardless.

It got delayed till next year!

Microsoft will announce a motion sensitive add-on for the 360. Fanboys will complain.

WRONG!

WRONG! Dammit.

WRONG!

...Partial credit

Dragon Quest 9 will be delayed. Fanboys will have something worth complaining about.[/QUOTE]

Hooray! I was right!

So... 1.5 out of 8.

Screw it, I'm making the exact same predictions for next year. Except replacing COD5 with 6.

Obviously.

Dynastic Bird
12-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Are we free to use this topic for 09? I can't think of much at the moment though, aside from

Nintendo's Wii will finally, finally run out of steam...relative to how well it's doing now.

It'll be three years. Wii Play is great, and there's a good bunch of "evergreen" titles, but without more software support a fourth Wii Christmas is out of the question.

I will get a PS3 in 2009. It will be 60 gigs. Used. Sony will then release a new version with Backward Compatibility just to be an ass.

I have a bad feeling this is going to happen...

Microsoft pulls a Sega and announces the 720. Or a Blu Ray add-on.

The first half is a joke. The second half is not -_-.

Halo Wars comes out, gets hated on by fanboys and RTS fans alike.

I mean, really! I know Halo was supposed to be an RTS, but it's been a while. They must have transitioned to an FPS for a reason.

Street Fighter IV comes out, gets lambasted, but becomes a critical hit.

Please?

Um, I'll save the stuff for a 2009 topic...It's certainly late enough...

DemoWeasel
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Did anyone predict Mega Man 9?

Andrew
12-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Too Human finally sees release, gets mediocre scores.

CORRECT!

Duke Nukem Forever still doesn't come out.

CORRECT!

Metal Gear Solid 4 hits PS3. Doesn't set world on fire. People expect it to sell a lot of PS3s, but I think that ship has sailed.

CORRECT! Did well but it didn't reverse Sony's fortunes much.

FFXIII is delayed until 2009. Final Fantasy XIII vs. (Nomura's project), is released on time, sells ok. Is announced for a 360 port.

Sorta right sorta wrong. The delay obviously is correct, but I didn't expect the yanking of the Vs. team to finish XIII. FFXIII was announced for a 360 port, Versus hasn't yet but is relatively too early to tell.

Andrew
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Are we waiting until beginning of Jan for the 2009 predictions thread? It would be confusing to stick 'em in here.

Tomm Guycot
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it's not a wish thread guys. We're supposed to make estimated predictions as to the year to come. Here are mine:

I was right - some people still treat these threads like wish threads ;)

Smash Bros Brawl will be super huge. Everyone who is now saying it's overhyped will continue to complain that it was overhyped. Also, they will say Melee was better even though it wasn't.

+1

Metal Gear Solid 4 will move PS3's. Everyone who said it wouldn't happen will continue to say nobody is buying MGS4, and that the PS3 has no good games. Everyone who said it was overhyped will insist that it was overhyped. They will also claim early trailers were CG and not representative of the final product, despite this being false.

Is this one close enough?

Mario Kart will be delayed to fall or '09. Nintendo will announce the next Wii Zelda by the end of the year. The same people who said Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were too formulaic will be bitching about proposed changes to the system.

D'oh!

People will complain about Nintendo abandoning the Hard Core almost constantly all year.

+17

Nintendo will announce the followup to Nintendogs.

Unless you count Wii Music, I didn't get this one.

Kolbe
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Everyone who said it was overhyped will insist that it was overhyped.

What's the merit in predicting this?

Oh, and MGS4 was overhyped, just like GTAIV, LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge and every AAA title out there.

BEAT
12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Are we waiting until beginning of Jan for the 2009 predictions thread? It would be confusing to stick 'em in here.

Oops. My bad guys.

Nicholai
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
While I will undoubtedly be wrong several times I enjoy making barely substantiated guesses and typing in bold.

Third party games will continue to be weak on the Wii in the tradition of N64 and GameCube.

Easy.

People will complain about Square Enix only doing remakes, but will continue to buy each one that is released. Thus, Square Enix will announce more remakes.

Easy.

360 and PS3 will both cut prices. One may approach the fabled $300 threshold. New SKUs will be shown.

Easy. Though Sony only cut prices and then got rid of SKUs.

Final Fantasy XIII a no-show.

Obvious.

PSP Game of the Year will not be a remake...but instead will be a prequel: God of War

Actually my game of the year was Crisis Core. So half right.

Sven
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Another year, another beatdown of RB on the sales charts. Sad, really, but all too predictable. Speaking of which....

The ship has pretty much sailed at this point - they might as well give up and try for RB2.

They didn't ship Rock Band 2 for the Wii until... a couple of days ago, and it's non-existent at retail before Christmas. Fucking boneheaded move, although the Wii version of RB1 has some legs by default at this point.

And, yeah, I tossed in that prediction because I wanted a decent hit ratio. Putting a game that's best when played at parties on every system OTHER than the one that's built its entire reputation on "is really awesome at parties" was mind-bogglingly stupid.

This is still true. Harmonix practically gave money away to Activision by neglecting the Wii.

- The DS Outsells Everything. Yeah, I'm going out on a limb with this one.

I *think* I got that one wrong, surprisingly. The Wii selling insanely in November switched it around, I think.

- GT5 actually does see release. If Prologue has five tracks and 30-something cars, I figure they can cram the rest in there in time for next Christmas.

Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing and a miss.

The market will be flooded with third-party Wii Peripherals. We'll see the first third-party Wiimotes soon, but with Wii Play continuing to sell based on the "if you give people a free remote, they'll pay for the game" theory, other companies will follow suit.

Still amazed that this wasn't more true than it was.

- Mario Kart won't ship in 2008. Just call it a hunch.

Wow, I was way wrong on these. Aside from the easy points scored off the idiocy of EA and Harmonix ignoring the Wii, not a good hit ratio.

djSyndrome
12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
-Major PS3 titles will not see release in 2008. MGS4 will probably make it, but other high-profile franchises won't - including Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo.

If GT5P <> GT5, then this one was 3 for 3.

AHAHAHAHAHAA.

Got the new hardware right, although the dream of VC - even if it's for portable systems - has yet to be realized :\

-Sony's PS1 reissue library flounders in US, continues to grow in Japan. The Japanese get Biohazard 2. Why can't we? Expect SCEA and American publishers to continue twiddling their thumbs while Japan's library continues to flourish. Along those same lines, Sony will finally get a PlayStation store that's fully operational on the PSP.

Right and right.

-Square-Enix continues Port Parade with FFV and VI for DS, and resurrects another franchise for the PSP. It's questionable whether Squeenix can even develop a new game, but the remakes sell, and they do love money. FFV on the DS will show up by the end of the year in Japan, with VI coming shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, another PS1-era game gets remade for the PSP, complete with the requisite extra content and technical glitches. As much as everyone loves Vagrant Story, even with Square's new 'Ivalice Alliance' I'm still doubtful. Perhaps Chrono Cross.

Semi-right. FFV and VI didn't get the DS treatment, and I never expected Star Ocean (of all things) to get remade for the PSP. But hey, we got Chrono Trigger, which is pretty much as good as having free money and sex constantly dropped in your lap!

spineshark
12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I never expected Star Ocean (of all things) to get remade for the PSP.
It was already out in Japan when you posted this, actually. I think the remakes for both 1 and 2 were announced by Summer '07, since I feel like I've been grousing about the new character designs for a very, very long time. I wouldn't hold up the originals (especially 2) as exceptional in that department, but the new ones are just terrible.

Sanagi
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
The things we're looking forward to will disappoint us, but there will be many happy surprises.

cortbassist89
12-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Activision releases Band Hero: Sure, it'd been rumored there'd be a Drum Villain or Hero or whatever, but a game featuring just the one instrument will look awfully shallow compared to Rock Band. Expect a full band sometime next year.
Boom baby!

MGS4 will be delayed again. Because the world hates me.
Was MGS4 delayed again this year? I can't recall :/

FFVII is finally remade... for PSP. PS3 owners cry.
Well, with ps3 and psp magic, you can play FF7 on psp... does that count? ;) haha I failed haha

FFXIII becomes vaporware--delayed again! See above.
I will use this point to point out we've still seen almost no gameplay of ff13

Squeenix officially announces Chrono Break and releases it in Q4! Because I refuse to give up hope.
Another year, another disappointment.

I refuse to give up hope!

Excitemike
12-23-2008, 06:47 AM
GTA IV will probably come out in 2008. Unless it doesn't.

If my uncanny prowess with prediction intimidates you, please tell me. I want to avoid any awkward moments in the halls.

le geek
12-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a PS3 exclusive...until it does not sell as well as expected in the west and shareholders demand a 360 version, ala Resident Evil 4.

Wrong...

RPGs will continue to go the way of the DS. DQ 9 will NOT make it to retail in Japan, but remakes of 4 and 5 will.

Correct!

PS3 will stabilize but remain in 3rd place except in Japan.

Mostly right?

Wii-mania will die down a bit.

Wrong...

Ghostbusters, Silent Hill 5, Samba de Amigo will all kick ass.
Delayed, kind of, and aww hell no!

GTA IV will have a better story than San Andreas, and not just be a pretty coat of shader paint.

Correct!

A Final Fantasy game of some sort will keep the Gambit system of FF12.

Wrong thus far

A new Suikoden game is announced.

Correct!

djSyndrome
12-23-2008, 09:50 AM
It was already out in Japan when you posted this, actually. I think the remakes for both 1 and 2 were announced by Summer '07, since I feel like I've been grousing about the new character designs for a very, very long time. I wouldn't hold up the originals (especially 2) as exceptional in that department, but the new ones are just terrible.

Then apparently I wasn't paying attention! D=

That notwithstanding, did SE release any other PSP 'remakes' in 2008? I can't think of any.