PDA

View Full Version : Replaying Games

wahoninja
01-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I've read/heard a lot of people describe Bioshock as "one of those amazing games you only play once," which is hard for me to wrap my head around at all. I've played through it twice, and I'm itchin' for my third go at it with the new plasmids and stuff.

Do you guys replay games? I don't get how you can totally dig something and only want to experience it once. I figure we've seen our favorite movies multiple times...

sraymonds
01-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Movies don't generally require the same time commitment as games do. I would love to replay some of my games, but there are other games on my shelf that I haven't even touched yet.

So very rarely will I replay a game.

Sami
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I very rarely watch even movies twice. Actually, I think the playthroughs of my favorite games vastly outnumber the times I've watched even my most liked movies. Games like Suikoden I and II, Contra Shattered Soldier, Rez, Super Mario World and so on, games that have a sort of fluidness to them, instead of heavy trudgery like that of slower-paced RPGs like Final Fantasy XII or that sort of heaviness in Zelda: Twilight Princess. And apparently, nowadays even "action" titles are taking on that heavy feel.

So, fluid and short games: replay value. Heavy and long games: even if you start a second go, you'll give up halfway. That's usually about the point when the game starts to feel padded out, as if extending a stew by cutting some more potatoes into it.

Kolbe
01-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Movies don't generally require the same time commitment as games do. I would love to replay some of my games, but there are other games on my shelf that I haven't even touched yet.

So very rarely will I replay a game.

Same for me. Though I would love to replay some games, there's a lot of new games waiting to be played. I do replay from time to time, but only very special games for me and years after I played it for the first time. That's why I try to enjoy them the most while I can.

reibeatall
01-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Usually when I want to replay a game, it's not for the story or anything like that, it's for the gameplay, so I'll play it for three or four hours, and then I'll move on to something else.

djSyndrome
01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I normally play through RPGs twice - once 'raw', with no assistance, and a second time with a strategy guide or FAQ to go OCD on the thing. After going through Final Fantasy XII twice, I'm starting to seriously reconsider this policy.

Also, arcade-style games (mostly STGs) will get constant replays, if only to better my score and/or progress.

TheSL
01-03-2008, 08:00 AM
I'll replay games like Mario or Megaman over and over again, but who has the time to commit 60+ hours to an RPG more than once(djSyndrome notwithstanding)?

djSyndrome
01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I'll replay games like Mario or Megaman over and over again, but who has the time to commit 60+ hours to an RPG more than once(djSyndrome notwithstanding)?

Who has time to commit hundreds of hours to Halo?

Jakanden
01-03-2008, 08:08 AM
If a game is under 8 hours or so (God of War, Silent Hill, etc..), I will replay it although it may be 2 or 3 years between replays. If it has a significant time commitment (most JRPG's), I am less likely to do so but still do sometimes when I have nothing else I want to play.

TheSL
01-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Who has time to commit hundreds of hours to Halo?

I think I've maybe played 20 hours between all 3 of them. I know I'm in the minority, though.

I think games with a more social aspect to them shouldn't really count as "replays," though; I've played hundreds of hours of Street Fighter over the years, but rarely do I actually complete the story mode more than a handful of times(unless necessary to unlock characters).

dussssstin
01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I know I usually have dreams of grandure with RPGS. (I bought Digital Devil Saga I and II, but haven't played through the first). When P3 came out I already talked about how awesome New Game+ would be, but I always get sideswepped.

With Bioshock it's not the same experience the second time, and that's the message that reviewers/gamers wanted to get out. It's an experience the first time, but a play-through the next.

dosboot
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
In absence of obvious ways to make repeated playthroughs different I still enjoy just playing the game more proficiently than I did last time. So yeah, "liking a game but never replaying it" is a foreign concept to me. Every game I like I've replayed at least once, if not once every few years.

Incidentally, I've never liked an RPG that takes more than 20-30 hours to complete, so I've been saved on that front.

Mewd
01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I tend to go back to my stable of favorite games annually, since that is around the time I get nostalgic for them.

wahoninja
01-03-2008, 10:23 AM
For me, it's often not even a case of nostalgia when I beat a game. Just within the past few months I've replayed Halo 3 (three times), Bioshock (twice), Portal (thrice), the Half-Life Episodes (twice each, and Half-Life 2 (thrice). I'm currently enjoying my Luigi roll in Galaxy.

I'm also one of those who after seeing a great movie in a theater will want to see it immediately after (at times, the very next showing).

When I dig on something, I just want to soak in it, I guess...

Alex
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Lately I've found that once I finish a game, I'm done with it forever. While I appreciate the option for a New Game + mode, I rarely take advantage of it.

Unless it's some kind of game like Metal Gear Solid that you can play most of the way through in a few hours, and the gameplay itself is enjoyable enough to repeat. I love RPGs but as I rarely play those for anything but the story, not even the mighty Zodiac Spear can be considered replay incentive.

BEAT
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll play a game countless times If I really love it, and there have been more than a few I've really loved.

ShakeWell
01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Short games, of course, get replays often. 8-bit stuff meant to be done in one sitting, like Mega Man 2 (I know it has a password, but I always start over), Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros., etc. Longer stuff gets replayed sometimes, but typically down the road a ways. I replay Snatcher once in a while, or an SNES-era RPG I haven't touched in years. I usually try to beat a retro game when I pick one up (working on Journey to Silius now, just finished Demon's Crest), which are usually ones I beat in the elusive "day."

Also, when a game offers something like a New Game+, I usually take that on immediately. I beat all three versions of RE4 something like four times in a row. Gotta get the Handcannon, man! (See also: Metal Gear Solid, RE2, etc.)

Chu
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I used to replay games a whole lot when I was younger. I've played through Link's Awakening, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Mischief Makers, and the original Pokemon games countless times.

Now I don't do it so much. I've got a couple games in my inventory that will probably never be completed. The only game I've bothered to "replay" recently is Super Mario Galaxy, trying to get 120 stars with Luigi. I don't replay Pokemon games anymore unless I have two copies, which means I have about 100+ hours clocked in my copy of Pearl. I'm surprised I haven't felt the urge to replay Twilight Princess since I got it on the Wii's launch day, but then again I still enjoy watching my brother and my roommate play through it (which sucks up all the saves slots).

There are a couple games out there that I'll feel like replaying every year or two, like Super Mario RPG and Skies of Arcadia.

wahoninja
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I guess we replayed games we liked back in the day because it was either that or nothin'. Now that we buy games for ourselves, we're more inclined to try out that new, great thing. But for me, the more I play a game, the more I appreciate it.

My initial run on Half-Life 2 for instance, I agreed with the "boring" parts everyone was talking about. But my second playthrough, when I was able to appreciate how the whole thing was put together, I loved every moment, even the boat stuff.

Adrenaline
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't as much as I used to, since there's so much stuff to do, but I still get around to redoing the best ones, Zeldas, Ratchets, Half-Lifes.

cortbassist89
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM
The only ones that come to mind are the Metal Gear Solid series.

And Mega Man (classic, legends, x, etc)

Phat
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I've done Super Mario World a couple of times, although that's pretty lightweight. The Fun Clubs has been forcing me through my fifth or so playthrough of Final Fantasy IV, but everyone plays that game to hell anyway. I've put about 100 hours into both Baldur's Gates, and I clocked a good 50 or so into RE4. Other than those, I've never really been motivated to finish a game twice.

Sven
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Games I tend to replay at least once per calendar year:

- X-Com: well, DUH. I'll have a free Friday and think "well, might pop in to try it" and then will pop up Sunday afternoon wondering what the hell I've been doing for the past 48 hours other than running endless tactical scenarios in my head and figuring out cost maximization efforts for my Korean intercept base. Everyone who gushes over FFT and hasn't ever played this is missing something special.

- Zelda III: I can't replay any of the later Zeldas (just too long), but III's so perfect in every way that it very easily sucks me in. It's even gotten to the point where I don't feel the need to get all the heart pieces, I just like playing it without any OCD creeping in. Unlike...

- FFV / VI / Chrono Trigger: These all get replayed fairly regularly, although in the past year I think Chrono's the only one I've actually beaten again (FFV stalled out when I realised I'd overleveled getting X-Fight and could stomp anything short of the uber-bosses, and VI I've had on the back burner after beating the GBA version). As noted in the FFIV FC, all these games do such a superb job of stringing you along with character levelling that it's very easy to jump back into any one of them.

And, of course, I'll gladly burn through an old LucasArts / Sierra adventure game if the mood strikes me, since I've pretty much got them all memorised and I like to make sure I can still do it (I expect I'll take care of Fate of Atlantis prior to the new Indy movie coming out, for instance).

And, of course, I'll occasionally pop in SimGolf / SimCity 3000 / CivIII/IV / Master of Orion to relax, but those are all relatively minor time commitments or games I can run in the background while reading or doing other stuff.