PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights- Anyone played it?

Zarathustra
01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
This is my first purchase for my new computer. As i mentioned in another thread, i'm looking to play all the great adventure and rpg games that i can run on a vista pc. NWN is the oldest one besides Diablo to still be available new at pretty much any store that carries PC games. I take this as some kind of sign that it stands up, so i picked it up tonight.

Has anyone here loved on it? I know it's got a lot of multiplayer/dungeon creation tools/expansions (that i know nothing about), but i'm, at least for now, in it for the single player adventure.

Look at that prose up there. Nice.

cartman414
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
It's more a sign that it's among the more recently supported. Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment are objectively superior and amongst the best in the realm of CRPGs, but NWN is still pretty solid.

Sarcasmorator
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
It has lots of modules to download as well. Just don't expect it to be a winner in the graphics department anymore.

Sapper Gopher
01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
It wasn't a winner at the time. The tile graphics always reminded me of the Hero Quest board game. Neither it or its sequel are the place to start for single player DnD on the PC(see previously mentioned Baldur's Gate and Planescape, as well as Icewind Dake). I still had fun with the two expansions, never got the enthusiasm to play the original game or its recent sequel.

Zarathustra
01-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Of all the potential issues preventing my enjoyment of this game, perhaps it is some sort of blessing that the only one i had to deal with on arriving home tonight is both the most immediate and most obvious.

3 identical cd keys printed inside the manual. Now all i have to do is EMAIL A PHOTOGRAPH PROVIN' I AIN'T LYIN' to Atari customer support and they help me. Hopefully. Then i get to find out what other monstrous headaches await.

My first experience in PC gaming is already living up to expectations.

ringworm
01-04-2008, 12:38 AM
NWN was designed to be a multiplayer experience with a DM and a regular crew. It was designed for adventures to be easily created and then augmented on the fly. The toolset provided is nothing short of genius, the game really is simply a way to try to recreate the tabletop experience through the webternets.

I played with several groups started through Neverwinter Connections (http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/) back in the day, and when you played it with a good group with a good DM I just don't think the experience can be replicated. I would say it even has something up on the standard tabletop experience. The anonymity granted by doing something through the internet really frees people when they truly roleplay.

That being said, the Original Campaign is absolute garbage, don't even bother with it. Shadows of Undrentide was much better and Hordes of the Underdark even more so. In addition, there were separate standalone modules released by Bioware for like $7 a piece that were all good, not to mention there are also a lot (hundreds maybe, by now) of really great user-created modules to keep you busy.

Gobius
01-04-2008, 04:16 AM
I agree with ringworm about the single player campaigns. Definitely don't waste any time on the original campaign. I guess my past experience with Bioware games had me all hyped up to play when NWN first came out. It still stands as one of my all time biggest gaming disappointments. The expansions are somewhat more enjoyable, but I'd encourage you to go play Baldur's Gate instead! It is worlds better. Start with the original Baldur's Gate, then go through the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. Then move on to BG 2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansion. This all represents probably an entire year of gaming at a minimum, but I think the BG games were the pinnacle of RPG gaming on any platform, and no one has come close to it yet. Anyway, I'll stop foaming at the keyboard now. :) The Icewind Dale games are a lot of fun too, but I like to categorize them more as Fantasy Tactical Combat Simulators.

taidan
01-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Def. don't play the single player, as was mentioned. Made me realize that Bioware kind of ripped themselves off when creating KOTOR.