PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Take-Out Episode 19: Racing games special

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x60/Ben1842/Episode19.png
We're back for a new year of portable fun. To kick off the new year we review three racing games for the GBA. (Konami Krazy Racers, Racing Gears Advance and Rock n' Roll Racing)

check it out at:

VideoGameTakeOut.com (http://videogametakeout.blogspot.com/2008/01/video-game-take-out-episode-19-racing.html) (Best)

Revver (http://revver.com/video/603211/video-game-take-out-episode-19-racing-game-reviews/) (Good)

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppCUkMwiQM) (wost looking because of compression but I put it here for people that can't use Revver)

Rock n' Roll Racing Demo Link (http://www.blizzard.com/blizzclassic/rnrdemo.shtml)

VsRobot
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Awesome, I'll check it out soon.

reibeatall
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
ROCK 'N ROLL RACING! WOOO!

Does the password to unlock the Lost Viking still work on the GBA one?

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
ROCK 'N ROLL RACING! WOOO!

Does the password to unlock the Lost Viking still work on the GBA one?

I don' know because I don't usually cover cheats, but I would assume so since they own the rights and it's an exact port. :)

reibeatall
01-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, not EXACT. The backgrounds don't look as good in the GBA version.

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, not EXACT. The backgrounds don't look as good in the GBA version.

Close enough. lol

mopinks
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I always kind of forget that Konami Krazy Racers exists, even though I have a lot of love and affection for all of the characters in it. I'm pretty sure it's the only time Nyami has shown up in a game released outside of Japan, and that makes it pretty special. and Beartank! oh my god, it has Beartank!

incidentally, Mario Kart Super Circuit is still the only Mario Kart game I don't own and haven't played for a significant length of time. is it really even worth buying now that Mario Kart DS exists?

ShakeWell
01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Hmm... It was ok, but not as informative as I've come to expect. For example, there's a lot of conjecture on the Blizzard/R'n'R Racing thing. You seem unsure of how many from Blizzard now were involved then, and you just guess it wasn't many. To be honest, I'm pretty sure that most of the people there during the Lost Vikings/R'n'R Racing/Blackthorne days are still there.

Also, on the Krazy Racers bit, you didn't mention that a possible reason for the less-than-all-star cast may be because alot of those faces are from games that are much more popular in Japan (Takosuke, Pentaro, the Power-Pro), than the US, and perhaps they should've done some shuffling to get some more familiar (to us) faces in there. And on both you talk about how awesome the music is, but we never really get a good listen to it. If you listen hard you can hear Metal Gear music when you're talking about Krazy Racers, and "Paranoid" during the credits, but it's never loud enough to get a good feel for how good it is.

Still a good show, but not up to par for you, Ben.

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the honest criticism. In my defence I'm not talking to a Japanese audience (I don't even have one Japanese viewer) and the game was released in the US so I think it's far to criticize the cast. But Japanese popularity aside they chose a deformed Dracula instead of Simon Belmont or some other more well known Castlevania character like Alucard. Also they chose Not to include Snake as the Mascot for MGS. I think it's obvious that there intention was to go with the lesser known characters. (Contra isn't even in there)

As for my conjecture on Blizzard, maybe it was ill advised without some more research but I don't really think that very many people from back in the day are still there. A ton of companies have touted themselves as being started by Blizzard founding members that left blizzard (arena net, Flagship etc..) plus the point still stands that they rebranded it as a blizzard classic when they weren't even Blizzard when the game was released.

As for the music people complain if I take a break and let them hear it. I used to put the music up on the site for people to listen to but it didn't get much of a response so I stopped taking the time to do it. It's a tough balance between too quiet and making hard to hear what I'm saying. I try to lean more tword the quiet end because the other way gives me a headache. lol

I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as the others, (I did the best I could) but at least you only have to wait a week for the next one. :)

mopinks
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
well, to be fair, Dracula is in a whole lot more games than Simon or Alucard.

but yeah, characters like Nyami and Power Pro are from franchises that are obscenely popular in Japan. Pop'n Music just about dominates the Japanese arcade scene.

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
well, to be fair, Dracula is in a whole lot more games than Simon or Alucard.

But to be really fair I didn't even realize he was Dracula for quite a while because he looks nothing like the one's from any of the games. lol
Really the whole argument is silly because I said you wouldn't know who they where unless you where a big Konami fan, and all of you know who they are so it doesn't apply to you.
The fact is the average gamer is not going to have any idea who over half the characters are. You guys do and that's why I like it here but for the general audience most of these characters are unknown.

Let's take a look at them and see what the average American would know:

* Goemon: Pretty much a hidden classic here in the states, I'd say that this is a maybe

* Takosuke: Very unlikely, some people may recognize him but not the majority

* Dracula: He doesn't look like any version from the games but once you know it's him he's pretty recognizable I guess.

* Cyborg Ninja: Gray Fox is probably the most recognizable, since he looks like a smaller version of himself and was in a game that's big in the US

* Pastel: This is a definite no for the average gamer

* Power Pro-kun (Pawapurokun): At the time of this games release I would have said Definate No because this was his first apperance in the US, but I think a Wii game with him in it has come out since so I'd give him a maybe at best

* Moai: The series is slightly more popular than the other unknown one's, I'd give him a maybe

* Nyami: Again a Japanese only game character, this one is a No for the average gamer

All the hidden characters are from the same games so they should have similar results. overall I stand by my statement that most of these characters are a "B lineup". For a company that makes Contra, Metal Gear solid, Castlevania, Silent Hill etc.. I think they could have come up with a better cast for this game. But that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

q 3
01-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Sadly I doubt we'll ever see Racing Gears 2. The developers, Orbital, seem to have been disappeared after their other two games flopped. (Scurge: Hive and Juka something something, isometric adventures that are actually both pretty solid.)

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Sadly I doubt we'll ever see Racing Gears 2. The developers, Orbital, seem to have been disappeared after their other two games flopped. (Scurge: Hive and Juka something something, isometric adventures that are actually both pretty solid.)

Well Their site still seems to be up and IGN has them down as porting Juka to the DS so let's hope that they stick around long enough to make another. To be honest I had never heard of Juka either and it looks pretty cool. Orbital needs a better marketing department. lol

*Edit* looking at the site I see i'm not the only one that likes it lol. Also they have the Pirate Battle game still in development, it actually looks kinda cool despite the awful name. Let's hope that they manage to make one of these a hit. :)

mopinks
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
the problem with Dracula is that he doesn't even have a consistent appearance, so there's no such thing as a single definitive Dracula. all you can hope for is a composite Dracula! I'd say the one in Krazy Racers looks closest to the one in Castlevania III. except, you know, wearing a big fluffy Santa beard.

also, one of the hidden characters is Vic Viper! I'm pretty sure the average gamer doesn't know the character by name, but the Gradius series is pretty recognizable. it's probably also worth noting that the Silent Hill series wasn't even a series yet at the time of the game's release.

personally, I'd like to see a sequel, even considering the very real danger of Rumble Roses characters making the cut. if they can put Sparkster and Pyramid Head in the new Track & Field, anyone is fair game. I bet Gillian Seed races like LIGHTNING

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I totally agree, as far as kart racers go I'd put this as the second best one out there and with a few more iterations and a roster update I think this could be right up there with Mario Kart. As it is it's a really fun game and definitely worth checking out.

Yeah I forgot about Snatcher and Rocket Knight, those are two more examples of characters that would likely be more recognizable (although both are pretty obscure in their own right lol)

ShakeWell
01-06-2008, 09:42 PM
But to be really fair I didn't even realize he was Dracula for quite a while because he looks nothing like the one's from any of the games. lol
Really the whole argument is silly because I said you wouldn't know who they where unless you where a big Konami fan, and all of you know who they are so it doesn't apply to you.
The fact is the average gamer is not going to have any idea who over half the characters are. You guys do and that's why I like it here but for the general audience most of these characters are unknown.

Let's take a look at them and see what the average American would know:

* Goemon: Pretty much a hidden classic here in the states, I'd say that this is a maybe

* Takosuke: Very unlikely, some people may recognize him but not the majority

* Dracula: He doesn't look like any version from the games but once you know it's him he's pretty recognizable I guess.

* Cyborg Ninja: Gray Fox is probably the most recognizable, since he looks like a smaller version of himself and was in a game that's big in the US

* Pastel: This is a definite no for the average gamer

* Power Pro-kun (Pawapurokun): At the time of this games release I would have said Definate No because this was his first apperance in the US, but I think a Wii game with him in it has come out since so I'd give him a maybe at best

* Moai: The series is slightly more popular than the other unknown one's, I'd give him a maybe

* Nyami: Again a Japanese only game character, this one is a No for the average gamer

All the hidden characters are from the same games so they should have similar results. overall I stand by my statement that most of these characters are a "B lineup". For a company that makes Contra, Metal Gear solid, Castlevania, Silent Hill etc.. I think they could have come up with a better cast for this game. But that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

I agree, but I'm saying that since they are from games popular in Japan, a more fair criticism would've been "lazy localization" as opposed to "b-list cast." I mean, it would be somewhat unrealistic for them to have overhauled the whole cast, but at some point it seems silly to release it here at all, with so many characters unknown to this audience.

VsRobot
01-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't give a shit about what's big in Japan. Japan can bite me, if it's not too busy fucking pillows with images of anime girls screen printed on them.

ShakeWell
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I bet Gillian Seed races like LIGHTNING

He's got nothin' on Random Hajile and his one-wheeled motorcycle.

I don't give a shit about what's big in Japan. Japan can bite me, if it's not too busy fucking mousepads (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/boobies-mouse-pad-sets-feminism-back-50-years-236575.php) with images of anime girls screen printed on them.

Fixed.

Ben1842
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree, but I'm saying that since they are from games popular in Japan, a more fair criticism would've been "lazy localization" as opposed to "b-list cast." I mean, it would be somewhat unrealistic for them to have overhauled the whole cast, but at some point it seems silly to release it here at all, with so many characters unknown to this audience.

Well the show is my opinion and it's in my words. You may be right that your way is better, but I have to write and say all the stuff. Sometimes I just don't come up with the "best" wording.

I think in the end we basically agree (wording aside) that for the US market this is not the optimal line-up. How it got that way would only be more speculation (which you seem to dislike lol).

Thanks for the comments and keeping me on my tows. I try to be as factual and correct as possible, it's good to hear constuctive comments about how I can improve that stuff.

Also thanks for watching and being interested enough to even respond. I'm really grateful to everyone that watches and enjoys the show. it's fun for me to make, so I hope it's fun for you/them to watch.

Chu
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I always wondered how Konami Krazy Racers was. I was half tempted to get it because I knew who the hell Nyami was thanks to my friend, an avid Pop 'n Music fan. If the game actually had Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures in it, thinks might have gone differently. Ah well, curiosity satisfied!

And thanks for the shout-out, Ben. :D

Ben1842
01-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I always wondered how Konami Krazy Racers was. I was half tempted to get it because I knew who the hell Nyami was thanks to my friend, an avid Pop 'n Music fan. If the game actually had Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures in it, thinks might have gone differently. Ah well, curiosity satisfied!

And thanks for the shout-out, Ben. :D

Happy to help. :)

Thank you for all the awesome artwork.

le geek
01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Nice episode. I was on the fence, but I definitely need to track down Racing Gears Advance now.

Cheers,
Ben

Sven
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM

They really loved their isometrics, didn't they?

Ah, well. Shame that such a nice racing game would be a one-and-done, even if it was ridiculously hard at times.

Balrog
01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
This is what I like about your stuff. You talk about a game I already love, confirm my suspicions about another game and enlighten me about some overlooked game I wouldn't have given a second look.

Ben1842
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
This is what I like about your stuff. You talk about a game I already love, confirm my suspicions about another game and enlighten me about some overlooked game I wouldn't have given a second look.

Thank you very much. I hope your opinion of them is similar to mine. :)