PDA

View Full Version : My Xbox is a scratchaholic.

SlimJimm
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Ok once again I have Xbox troubles. :(

I recieved Mass Effect for Christmas and after a day of playing it I was repeatedly getting the message about the disk being dirty and needing to be cleaned. Soon after the game would give me the message immediately after loading a saved game. So I look at the back and there are a few small scratches and I go to exchange the game at Best Buy.

A few days later I have a flawless new copy of Mass Effect and it works great. Yet today after my brother starts a new game he gets the Disk is Dirty message and the saved games will not load again.
The culprit? Several scratches around the cd again. This is unacceptable.

I do notice that this replacement Xbox360 always had some problems. When a game stops loading, the machine makes the cd stop in a very sudden fashion. Not into a slow whirl like my computer will when something is done loading, no. The Xbox suddenly makes a noise like the disc is skipping, its very loud and very noticeable.

So is this a legitimate enough concern that I should try to have Microsoft send me a new Xbox 360 AGAIN?
I swear to god Im almost with my younger brother on his idea of just getting a PS3.

reibeatall
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
First off, how is your 360 sitting? Is it vertical or horizontal? If it's vertical, set it down now. Make sure that it never moves while a disc is inside.

SamuelMarston
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
First off, how is your 360 sitting? Is it vertical or horizontal? If it's vertical, set it down now. Make sure that it never moves while a disc is inside.

Is it safer in the horizontal position? Because I'll need to switch.

SlimJimm
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Horizontal no matter where I put it.
After tipping over our PS2 while vertical I never try to put my Xbox in this position.

Yeah I did hear that If you change the position of your Xbox while playing a game you risk damaging the disk.
I just wonder how I can prove to Microsoft that my machine is defective, yet it is not RRODing. This is just such a pain because I love the Xbox 360 games I have yet the hardware does its best to make me not play them. :/

cortbassist89
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
My friend ruined a copy his GH2 by not only sitting his 360 vertical, but moving it while the disc was inside. While my other friend and I screamed "No" in horror. Now it can't access about 1/4 of the disc or it'll read "Disc Error"

This brings up a nice question: what's the best 360 position? Horizontal, so it won't scratch? Or vertical (I guess the idea would be better ventilation)?

SamuelMarston
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
That's why mine is standing up: So it can breathe.

reibeatall
01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
You do realize that setting it up vertically covers up an entire vent, right?

And Jimm, just lie and say it's RRoD'ing, it's not like they're going to find out until it's too late.

cortbassist89
01-06-2008, 05:23 PM
That's why mine is standing up: So it can breathe.
I've thought about this, and I want to avoid RROD as long as possible, but I was wondering if there's really any difference.

That and the fact I have no room to fit my 360 in my entertainment system vertically.

cortbassist89
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
You do realize that setting it up vertically covers up an entire vent, right?

And Jimm, just lie and say it's RRoD'ing, it's not like they're going to find out until it's too late.
*sigh of relief*

Yeah, really just say it's an RROD, I doubt they even check anymore given how frequent they RROD.

Savathun
01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Ours' does the EXACT same thing with every disc. It's always lying horizontal, though I've tried it vertical and it doesn't matter. Gears of War is so scratched now that it will randomly screw up, whereas other games are just ridiculously scratched. Even month old games are already pretty scratched.

And this is a replacement 360, as well, after the first red ringed.

Meh.

cortbassist89
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I've read that some 360s just have a defective disk drive, I think this was in an issue of EGM.

I might go dig through the backlog later and try and find it, see if they recommended anything.

SlimJimm
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I might go dig through the backlog later and try and find it, see if they recommended anything.
I would appreciate anything.

ProfessorS
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
My friend ruined a copy his GH2 by not only sitting his 360 vertical, but moving it while the disc was inside. While my other friend and I screamed "No" in horror. Now it can't access about 1/4 of the disc or it'll read "Disc Error"

That's exactly what happened to my friend, right down to the game. Weird.

ArugulaZ
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
First, why would anyone vertically orient their game systems? There's just no reason for it, unless you like the idea of all your electronics precariously balancing on their sides. It's harder to insert discs, and there have been countless reports of issues like the ones you're all describing. It's just ridiculous.

Secondly, there are rumors that Microsoft is already hard at work on the successor to the Xbox 360 (but that's no surprise... magazines were talking about how the PS3 would have a Cell processor in it two years after the PS2 was introduced). I'm hoping that the new model is more carefully designed and extensively playtested, to ensure that issues like disc scratching and internal overheating will not cause further headaches for gamers. Microsoft's been playing it off as though malfunctioning consoles are no big deal, but you just know that someone in the R&D department was slapping their foreheads after the complaints started rolling into Redmond.

cortbassist89
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
ProfessorS yeah my friend's GH2 is now unbeatable as it can't load the last tier of songs, or most of the bonus songs.

SlimJimm I will do my best to find it in my backlog tomorrow.

SamuelMarston
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Mine is now horizontal. I like it more like this anyway. I just figured with more of the surface area exposed the thing would be able to give off heat better. I guess this does free up a whole extra vent.

Kevin
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, really just say it's an RROD, I doubt they even check anymore given how frequent they RROD.

The service center can totally check if it's red ringed or not, so you're taking your chances with this route. I don't know what happens if they discover your deception.

Abominable K
01-06-2008, 11:20 PM
First, why would anyone vertically orient their game systems? There's just no reason for it, unless you like the idea of all your electronics precariously balancing on their sides. It's harder to insert discs, and there have been countless reports of issues like the ones you're all describing. It's just ridiculous.

Space issues for one. The way my entertainment center is built, there's barely any room for my PS3, so vertical is the only way to make it fit.

Savathun
01-06-2008, 11:45 PM
The service center can totally check if it's red ringed or not, so you're taking your chances with this route. I don't know what happens if they discover your deception.

They call you up and sadly inform you that they're very dissapointed in you.

Makkara
01-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Can you induce a RRoD deliberately? Like, wrap the console in a blanket and leave it running for a couple of hours, maybe? Seems like it should work, if overheating is what causes it. Of course, there's always the risk that it gets screwed up in some other way not covered by the warranty, so I woulnd't really recommend it.

wahoninja
01-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Is there DJ named DJ X360?

SlimJimm
01-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Oh really? Its a good thing I havent called them yet. Ill probably just come clean and say something like my cd drive is defective and scratches some of my games. I hope that will get me a free repair or something.