PDA

View Full Version : POLL - Best Street Fighter Wrestler/Grappler

chud_666
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
MAn 360s are hard to do (I mean the fighting game motion, not copulating with Microsoft hardware...?)

But if you can do them these guys are bad-ASSSSSSSS

Which one is the best?

Octopus Prime
01-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Now, y'see, the only Grappler I've ever actually liked was Potemkin* from Guilty Gear. Which is not Street Fighter. Consequently, I voted for Birdie, since he at least looks cool.

*That is, if you don't count Blue Mary as a grappler. Since she's way cooler.

shivam
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9bYeqcv0I

dussssstin
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry but I'm a very big Makoto fan for SFIII. I don't really use her grapples but her strikes. They're tough.

chud_666
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Now, y'see, the only Grappler I've ever actually liked was Potemkin* from Guilty Gear. Which is not Street Fighter. Consequently, I voted for Birdie, since he at least looks cool.

*That is, if you don't count Blue Mary as a grappler. Since she's way cooler.

Blue Mary - yes she is awesome.

Andrew
01-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Bah, wish Hagger ever was in a (released) SF game.

So 'Gief.

360s don't actually require a full 360 motion. 270 degrees will work.

Lumber Baron
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know if I'd qualify Makoto as a grappler per-se, but you gave me the option of voting for her and I will take any opportunity to do so.

mopinks
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Darun Mister all the way. he's the Indian Zangief! so he probably wrestles tigers instead of bears.

chud_666
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Haha

Never considered EX games in this. Maybe I should remove Makoto?

alexb
01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Alex. Yeah, so?

chud_666
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I voted for Alex as well. I for one couldnt wait for Ken and Ryu to be excised from SF. Maybe I'm an asshole?

alexb
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
First nations, eh? I take it you're Canadian. Down that way, he's a Native American or an American Indian.

chud_666
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
"And Dude, First Nations isn't the proper nomenclature...."

Yeah I'm Canadian. You may notice I put extraneous 'u's' in stuff. Like 'favourite'
We speak the Queen's English here. I'm O.G.

ShakeWell
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Corkscrew piledrivers are the best thing ever. Zangief.

shivam
01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
t hawk is a mexican, folks. Azteca. yeah, he dresses like a navajo or apache, but come on now.

Lumber Baron
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes I'm sure Capcom was very thorough with their depiction of T. Hawk.

Anonymooo
01-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Darun Mister all the way. he's the Indian Zangief! so he probably wrestles tigers instead of bears.
http://www.streetfightercorporation.com/darun_big.jpg
インドラばし~~~

Alex is my pick. Surprisingly quick for a grappler, and with a bunch of horrifically cool moves like a DDT that passes over sweeps and a Super Art that consists of him caving your head in with his own--Alex is my favorite of the grapplers.

I never considered Makoto a grappler, but I understand why she's on the list. Karakusa is a cruel move.

mr_bungle700
01-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Zangief. Gotta go with the original.

Plus he was kinda based on a guy who was a badass in real life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDTkXtpFDg).

Jakanden
01-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Zangief. Gotta go with the original.

Plus he was kinda based on a guy who was a badass in real life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDTkXtpFDg).

I cannot check that at work, so I am curious as to who that badass is.

Also, I voted for Zangief simply because I never played any SF past II so I don't know most of the people on the list.

mr_bungle700
01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
I cannot check that at work, so I am curious as to who that badass is.

This guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Zangiev). A pro wrestler named Victor Zangiev, who was part of a few popular leagues in Japan.

Kolbe
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
I'll go with Alex. His quick, lethal moves are something else. Kind of like Ralph or Clark, but less cheap.

Sven
01-08-2008, 08:39 AM
It'd be nice to have a grappler who actually FOUGHT like a grappler and not "has a slightly more diverse throw selection." Even Wolf of VF isn't a REAL grappler, and he had someone take on the identity in AJPW!

(still my favourite character, though, since beating people with a DDT is just so much more satisfying than some cheesy punch)

Then again, I can see why the video game equivalent of Fedor (or Couture, I'm not being asian-biased with this one) may not be for all people... Ryu being rendered completely ineffective on the ground while being punched repeatedly in the face might upset quite a few fanboys who don't realise that Street Fighter's idea of what martial arts competition would look like is decidedly 80s.

(Gods, why the hell UFC hasn't put out a new game in the last five years is mind-boggling. Fire Pro only goes so far....)

ArugulaZ
01-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Real Zangief looks like he should be squeezing the Charmin rather than the heads of his opponents.

djSyndrome
01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Sorry, but my unwavering breast fetish has me going with R. Mika.

Even though she's nothing more than Karin's little whore.

Calorie Mate
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Teeeeeeeeeee HAWK!

alexb
01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry, but my unwavering breast fetish has me going with R. Mika.

If they're unwavering, that means they're fake.

djSyndrome
01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
If they're unwavering, that means they're fake.

I meant my fetish, not the boobs themselves.

Jonny2x4
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes I'm sure Capcom was very thorough with their depiction of T. Hawk.

Isn't T. Hawk an American Indian who just happens to fight in Mexico because his real homeland was taken over by Bison?

Kolbe
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Isn't T. Hawk an American Indian who just happens to fight in Mexico because his real homeland was taken over by Bison?

That's the only possible explanation.

chud_666
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM

That's what I thought....

Octopus Prime
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM

M. Bison, or, like, Buffalo?

TheSL
01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
M. Bison, or, like, Buffalo?

Can it be both?

Anonymooo
01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Ryu being rendered completely ineffective on the ground while being punched repeatedly in the face might upset quite a few fanboys who don't realise that Street Fighter's idea of what martial arts competition would look like is decidedly 80s.I would pay tons of money to see an MMA fighter suddenly throw a fireball in the middle of a match.

Then Tito Ortiz would block it, do a few forward rolls, scream "OYAJIIII" and then explode.

Alixsar
01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry, but Potemkin from Guilty Gear is better than every grappler character that has been mentioned in this entire thread. Why? Because:

1) he's a grappler that's actually fun to play as
2) one of his moves is named after Queen's Hammer to Fall (and Queen is the best band ever) and
3) because he lives in a country named after Led Zeppelin.

So yeah, I voted for Insert Name Here. Because Potemkin is The Shit™.

chud_666
01-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Well this is for SF characters. But OK

But I disagree -> Hugo and Alex are super fun to play as. And Alex looks like he's in Poison or something

Octopus Prime
01-09-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm sorry, but Potemkin from Guilty Gear is better than every grappler character that has been mentioned in this entire thread. Why? Because:

1) he's a grappler that's actually fun to play as
2) one of his moves is named after Queen's Hammer to Fall (and Queen is the best band ever) and
3) because he lives in a country named after Led Zeppelin.

So yeah, I voted for Insert Name Here. Because Potemkin is The Shit™.

Dude, you forgot that he reloads his FISTS.

That doesn't even make sense!

Abominable K
01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
How the hell is Makoto a grappler? Her style is Karate, not Judo. The only reason I could see this is if it's because part of her game revolves around her command throw (in which case anyone from X-Men vs. Street Fighter could be a grappler).

I vote Hugo btw, despite him being little more than a training dummy. Potemkin is awesome though.

Sven
01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I would pay tons of money to see an MMA fighter suddenly throw a fireball in the middle of a match.

Well, there's always hometown boy Carlos Newton and his DBZ taunts....

(And Tito's head exploding would be scary due to the volume of material that must be contained therein.)

Anonymooo
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
And Tito's head exploding would be scary due to the volume of material that must be contained therein.I forgot about Carlos Newton, and Tito's head would make a fantastic bomb. XD

I'll be very surprised if they don't put a more traditional MMA-type fighter into SFIV. I mean, Alex sorta represented MMA via grappling moves and his fingerless gloves, but only very, very loosely. Tekken's Craig Marduk is very Tito Ortiz/Rampage Jackson in his movements, but the way he looks and attacks is very distinctly "textbook" MMA. Alex is what you get if you take some crazy super-reality MMA and throw it in a blender with anime-style grappling.

Sven
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I forgot about Carlos Newton, and Tito's head would make a fantastic bomb. XD

I'll be very surprised if they don't put a more traditional MMA-type fighter into SFIV. I mean, Alex sorta represented MMA via grappling moves and his fingerless gloves, but only very, very loosely. Tekken's Craig Marduk is very Tito Ortiz/Rampage Jackson in his movements, but the way he looks and attacks is very distinctly "textbook" MMA. Alex is what you get if you take some crazy super-reality MMA and throw it in a blender with anime-style grappling.

It really is long overdue, isn't it? Japan was MMA-insane for about seven or eight years, but no one ever really put a submission / grappling guy into a 2D fighting game. I guess it just works better in 3D games, where all the attacks have more "weight" to them and therefore takedowns look devestating. I always took Alex to be more of a Kawada-type, a wrestler who employs a lot of strikes and unorthodox moves but is still fundamentally based in pro wrestling.

I have the weirdest feeling that Tito's gonna win Apprentice. Eventually, Trump's going to fire Gene Simmons out of spite.

Alixsar
01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Dude, you forgot that he reloads his FISTS.

That doesn't even make sense!

I also forgot to mention that Potemkin is eight feet tall and weighs 1,448 pounds.