PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about fighters gets me thinking..

taidan
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
So it seems we have a lot of talk about fighting games on the board lately. It has gotten me thinking a bit about them.

I love fighting games. I'm not very good at them, but I try my hardest, and I play/have played a many of them. I often like traditional 2d fare the most (or at least they stick with me longest), but I will play anything if it is good.

And yet the current trends in the genre bother me a bit. I'm not talking about stuff like King of Fighters XI and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum already having come and gone, as that is pretty much expected (though I have them both!) Right now I am looking at what is/will be most talked about in the genre, and there is a clear trend:

-Smash Bros. Brawl - king of crazy crossover fighting
-Soul Calibur 4 now has Star Wars characters (and more coverage has been given to boobs in this game than anything sans Dead or Alive
-there's that Final Fantasy fighter that will get some people moist
-New Street Fighter 4 character is revealed and few people across the internets seem curious about how she fights (I think this is the first time I came across that curiosity today).

It seems that the genre can only garner mainstream attention through crossovers and wacky, over the top characters. It is the same reason, I think, that Marvel VS Capcom 2 is still popular among casual fans, and why Guilty Gear came into its own (good game, but man does it have a lot of otaku bait).

This is all well and good to an extent. My worry is that the signals are starting to cross. Soul Calibur was once a game with strong balance, at least for a 3d fighter. Every iteration had made it more and more ridiculous (both in style and in balance). Street Fighter 4 will surely be a very technical fighter, and I don't see Capcom screwing it up too badly. I just wonder if potential fans will scoff at it if it isn't exactly what they imagine it to be.

On the opposite hand, I get sick of walking up to strangers at a party/friend's house, hoping to play some Smash Bros., only to find out my opponents want to play competitive Smash. Smash is the one game more than any other where I want things good and goofy, and instead people seem to be taking the competition and technical training into it, while the craziness bleeds into the traditional fighters.

I like having all these different flavors, but they don't always mix well to me, while everyone else seems to have nothing to say other than "OMG COOOOL!!"

Kolbe
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
This is pretty sad to me, as I begun my gamer career with fighting games, but also, is something that could be seen coming miles away. From the fact that X-Men vs Street Fighter was successful enough to give birth to a sequel, we were doomed. Actually, Soul Calibur for Dreamcast was probably the last truly good thing we got regarding fighting games.

I can't help but to remember those days were even wacky things like Rival Schools or Darkstalkers had something to contribute to the fighting society with great nostalgia.

I so want Street Fighter IV to be the game that brings that back, but that's a titanic endeavor, to say the least. Even with Crimson Viper and such, it could be a very good game, but the damage is done, I think.

reibeatall
01-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm in the "I like fighting games, but I suck at them" category. I really enjoy playing them, but man, all my friends are really good at them, so it's not really fun for me.

Kolbe
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm in the "I like fighting games, but I suck at them" category. I really enjoy playing them, but man, all my friends are really good at them, so it's not really fun for me.

I'm somewhat good in a few of them. Particulary Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. This makes most of my friends to be afraid of playing against me, which is kind of sad. It's not my fault, people!

Andrew
01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Don't forget Melty Blood.

MikeDinosaur
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I didn't play Soul Calibur 3, but I thought the guard impact was a really great addition in two. I loved SC for the dreamcast, but I think 2 is the better game. I'm looking forward to four, tits or no tits.

fanboymaster
01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Wasn't guard impact in SC1? I could have sworn it was.

Kolbe
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Wasn't guard impact in SC1? I could have sworn it was.

It was. Actually, it is in Soul Edge/Blade too.

Traumadore
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I am terrible at fighting games, but I want to own one. The last one I had was Darkstalkers 3. I like 2d fighters thinking I could find a decent one easily, but I went to the game store and couldn't find anything. Any suggestions for ps2 or xbox that are easy to find?

Or maybe I should give up before I start, I will totally never be good at these games.

fanboymaster
01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
VF4 shouldn't be that hard to find. I suck at fighting games but it's still fun.

chud_666
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
KOF 11 just came out and it is bad ass. And 20$ to boot!

Traumadore
01-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll keep an eye out for king of fighters. virtua fighter is 3d, right?

MikeDinosaur
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Man, I am retarded twice in two posts. Parrying too? That's what I was trying to refer to. If so... hm

fanboymaster
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Crap, didn't think about limiting it to 2D fighters.

Fer
01-10-2008, 01:35 AM
OMG COOOOL!!

Alixsar
01-10-2008, 03:10 AM
I'm decent at most fighters, but I can't play at competition-worthy level in any game except Soul Calibur. I feel that there are people out there who are simply too good at fighting games, though. I mean, sure, I understand what False Roman Cancels (Guilty Gear) are and why they are awesome in theory, but how the hell someone can actually be that good at a game like that to be able to do it consistently in a real fight is almost ridiculous to me. It's like the people that can do Ivy's ridiculous command throw in an actual battle. Have you ever seen that? Down-right, up-left, right, down, right-down, left-down, throw. And they can just...do it. At any time. Or like Daigo, the Japanese player who famously parried every hit of Chun Li's super in SFIII:3RD Strike. Being that good is just too good.

I hate going to an arcade and then ending up against someone like that who just literally sucks all the fun out of game that I'm still trying to learn.

taidan
01-10-2008, 05:38 AM
Woooh to 15 replies since I went to bed!

I think the appeal of crossover fighters is easy. It satisfies that deep, primal question that lies in most guys' hearts - "who would win in a fight...?" Furthermore, aside from Capcom VS SNK 1+2, most crossover games put all the fighters into one universal combat engine which is generally easy to grasp. Also, it seems some companies put their best effort presentation wise.

And that's all great - we need games that people of different skills and backgrounds can come together around. But it seems that crossovers (or games featuring crazy secret characters) are on the rise, while all the traditional series sans SF4 are not. Tekken will come around eventually, though I don't know how much of a splash it will have. The next Dead or Alive is nowhere on the radar (even if I don't like the series much). Virtua Fighter is content to stay where it is, that being in a very comfortable spot with a loyal fanbase that will make sure it never goes away. I just wish that the there would be some balance in terms of what is most popular and played, rather than see future "traditional" games all go towards the niche.

And now I feel all hypocritical because I spent last night playing Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.