PDA

View Full Version : FC14 Alt: Star Tropics

Parish
01-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Hey -- why the hell not?

Star Tropics
Nintendo | Action | NES | 1989

Mikey! Grab your yo-yo and save the Goonies! No, wait, wrong NES game about rescuing kids with a yo-yo wielding kid named Mikey. Sorry.

mopinks
01-11-2008, 01:20 AM
there are even more blind jumps into unfair deathtraps than I remembered! and I remembered plenty of them.

still a pretty fun game, though. even though I hate the controls for normal movement, I do like the whole tile-hopping gimmick.

mr_bungle700
01-11-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm going to start this up and I'm going to put on Pearl Jam's Ten and I'm going to love it!

I hope.

Octopus Prime
01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
You know what would be nice? If you didn't only have 3 Hearts full when starting a new life. Alternatively, if enemies dropped Hearts and Stars more frequently then never.

I've just reached Miracola in Chapter 3, which, as I recall, was one of the LONG chapters.

Tavir
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Mike Jones better be in Smash Brawl, daggummit.

Really pleased that this was released on VC, though I'll probably just be playing on my old-school NES if I can find it. I remember this game starting off deceptively easy, then getting pretty challenging towards the end.

reibeatall
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I'll be buying this now.

TheSL
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I just really really hate the ghost level, but other than that I don't recall having any major issues with the game back when I was a kid. This time I got through it without any trouble, weird.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm actually participating rather than saying I would but not following up! Got it on Tuesday when I realized sales could bring about a modern follow up, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Stuck on chapter 5 though, damn bowling balls.

Parish
01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
when I realized sales could bring about a modern follow up
Aw, they're so cute when they're young and still have hope.

Mightyblue
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Also when they don't realize just how much crap we've been spared by the costs inherent in localization. There are literally dozens of Dragon Quest/Warrior clones on the Famicom alone, not to mention other shovelware and derivative works.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Aw, they're so cute when they're young and still have hope.
... :(

I guess a more realistic hope would be for more (or at least quicker) VC releases of fun, somewhat obscure games like this anyway.

Octopus Prime
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, we can hope for Startropics 2.

It may not be as good, but I haven't played it since '94, and can't remember anything besides "Time Travel" and "Help Sherlock Holmes fight Alien Mutant Owl Monster"

Tomm Guycot
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I got to the Miracola chapter (I think?)

After 4 tries through the first cave on the island (Skull Ostriches), I made it through town, and into the second cave.

Where there's this huge scrolling room without any lights on. I jumped into the water twice, decided "screw this" and turned it off.

I want to love you StarTropics... why do you suck?

Octopus Prime
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I got to the Miracola chapter (I think?)

After 4 tries through the first cave on the island (Skull Ostriches), I made it through town, and into the second cave.

Where there's this huge scrolling room without any lights on. I jumped into the water twice, decided "screw this" and turned it off.

I want to love you StarTropics... why do you suck?

Y'see, that room has those Snakes that chase you, and the little Tile-Hopping Octopus you use those to see where you can walk.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, you're supposed to see the enemy patterns to figure where it's safe to go and where it isn't. But that same stage has a deathtrap towards the end which is pretty lame.

Ben1842
01-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I really like this game, it's been a long time since I've played it but I remember it being pretty hard. A lot of people hate on the second game but I like it too. I'm gonna play along but right now I have to finish this weeks VGTO so here are the HVGN's thoughts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8i_rr4ZbsU) on the game.

Man I wish I had more time. oh well...

*edit* in the HVGN video it has a puppet yelling. That is a parody of an AVGN video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayp5lieKuU). It's not part of the show normally. lol

Tomm Guycot
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh I love StarTropics 2.

But it was about 1000 times easier than the first game.

reibeatall
01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
So, how long is this game? I just passed the first dungeon.

Ben1842
01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh I love StarTropics 2.

But it was about 1000 times easier than the first game.

That's probably why I liked it. lol

Alex Scott
01-11-2008, 07:40 PM
There's a tile in that room that lights everything up.

So anyway, what do the potions and the snowmen do?

reibeatall
01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Potions heal, Snowmen freeze everybody.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
So, how long is this game? I just passed the first dungeon.
It'd probably be about 3-5 hours if you were awesome and never died or got too seriously stuck. As is, it could take significantly longer due to repeating areas over and over again. I'd be kinda intersted to see a speedrun on that note.

Gave 5's dungeon another shot, and still stuck. That god damn red bowling ball is a bitch, it requires perfect timing, I swear. Hope StarTropics 2 comes soon, I'd like to see how it compares now that I'm older and at least it controls way better, but I'm kinda worried about how that Tetrad business will go.

DeeMer
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
If you hit the bowling ball with your weapon, it will pause for a very brief moment. I commend you if you can squeeze by without hitting it.

SlimJimm
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok all I remember hearing about this game is something about bananas in some guy's ear.

What the hell is going on with that?

Alex Scott
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Potions heal, Snowmen freeze everybody.
1. How do they heal? All I've seen is an extra number in the corner (which has led me to the as-yet unproven belief that they get me extra hearts at the end of the chapter).

2. So I guess the best time to get a Snowman in the second cave would have been before I killed those starfish that were flying around the room? I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough.

reibeatall
01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
To use those items, press start. Then press up. VOILA! New hidden menu.

You use the potions whenever you want, and they work pretty much like you'd expect.
And I used the Snowman on the boss that's a few screens after you get it.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 08:47 PM
If you hit the bowling ball with your weapon, it will pause for a very brief moment. I commend you if you can squeeze by without hitting it.
Thanks, that really was the key to beating that part, I doubt it was physically possible without hitting it, did the whole dungeon on a single life in fact. Now I'm on chapter 6. Is it me, or is this pretty depressing? The only villagers you come across are (ridiculously) old and you even find a dead guy, yet there's the most landmass in this area. I guess it's a good way to signal you're reaching the end since you don't even have villages past this chapter, but damn.

Octopus Prime
01-12-2008, 06:02 AM
To use those items, press start. Then press up. VOILA! New hidden menu.

You use the potions whenever you want, and they work pretty much like you'd expect.
And I used the Snowman on the boss that's a few screens after you get it.

In fact, that boss is about the only application for the Snowman, ever.

Alex Scott
01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Sweet merciful God, I hate Miracola.

Eusis
01-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Finished the game, the last chapter's dungeon gets stupidly repetitive with the lack of check points and the vanishing tiles in the reactor (or whatever) room sending you back to just after the first boss fight. Putting together the numbers from the Wii's record of my playtime, it took me 7:20 to complete the game, though I did waste a bit of time just leaving the game up. Despite the issues I still really like the game, it'd be nice to see SOMETHING with similar gameplay nowadays and I hope the sequel gets put up in a reasonable amount of time. I kinda worry about the Tetrad business though if the yo-yo of all things was a problem for the original.

mopinks
01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
why do mystical objects always come in sets of seven, anyway?

I'm sure it has something to do with Buddhism, because everything from Japan does

Red Hedgehog
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
why do mystical objects always come in sets of seven, anyway?

I'm sure it has something to do with Buddhism, because everything from Japan does

But StarTropics is from the US! What does it mean?!?

TheSL
01-13-2008, 02:35 PM
But StarTropics is from the US! What does it mean?!?

I'm pretty sure it was still made by a Japanese team just in America.

Falselogic
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I just started playing it and have gotten to chapter 3, which isn't very far if I remember... I owned this on my original NES and beat it too, though I'm pretty sure I had the Nintendo Power magazine with the walkthrough in it... All those wonderful dungeon maps... I'm curious how much I'll remember.

Annoyances so far, the tiny pixel art difference that shows where a hidden tunnel is, the word "refrain"

Sven
01-15-2008, 08:02 AM
"Tetrad" is a geometric concept, though. If they were dropping through the sky and lining up (wait, do they at some point? I don't think I ever beat 2), then they might run into issues with The Tetris Company. But if my grade 4 math book used the term, I think it's safe to say that it's impossible to maintain a copyright over.

Falselogic
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
"Tetrad" is a geometric concept, though. If they were dropping through the sky and lining up (wait, do they at some point? I don't think I ever beat 2), then they might run into issues with The Tetris Company. But if my grade 4 math book used the term, I think it's safe to say that it's impossible to maintain a copyright over.

Perhaps you posted this in the wrong forum?

Human
01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
This is one of those games where you just go back and realize it is not actually very good. It seemed neat, and I had a mega-rad Nintendo strategy guide for it (It had maps for everything! Woah!) but it's just... a game that doesn't hold up. Zelda 1 tiles with jumping puzzles is frustrating.

Falselogic
01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, I don't have the manual for this and the ghost thing threw me for a loop, but then getting the rod triggered my memory about what to do.

SPOILERS, maybe:

Sadly, I did not remember how to defeat the wizard looking guys... worse I hadn't found the mirror before going in... So I had to kill myself and go looking for them (I used a FAQ to figure out how to beat them

Anyway I got through it and have just been swallowed by the whale... As to human's comment on not being that good, I always liked the game and I like it now, the puzzle platformer part is what makes it interesting to me, plenty of Zelda rip-offs, this one added something new, imho.

Sven
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Perhaps you posted this in the wrong forum?

'Twas in response to the idea that ST2 wouldn't get release because Tetris is no longer Nintendo's property, and therefore Tetrads wouldn't be allowed as the McGuffins in the sequel.

Just forgot the quote.

Falselogic
01-15-2008, 02:51 PM
'Twas in response to the idea that ST2 wouldn't get release because Tetris is no longer Nintendo's property, and therefore Tetrads wouldn't be allowed as the McGuffins in the sequel.

Just forgot the quote.

oh ok, sorry I didn't make that jump in the thread thanks for the clarification. Oh and thanks for ruining the end of ST2 for me! (jk) :P

mopinks
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM

from Wikipedia (SPOILERS??):
The chief of Coralcola helps Mike put the tetrads together (the chief claims that Tetris is his middle name).

maybe they'll just have to edit that line out! (yeah, I never got that far either.)

Falselogic
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Did anyone else find the Whale thing kinda stupid? It seems it was put in solely to make the game longer... Oh, those of you with the wii version what did you do when your sub robot asked for the frequency number? After your uncle's assistant tells you to dip his letter in water? We bought this game used and if it hadn't of been for that Nintendo Power thing we'd have been out of luck... Thank goodness for GameFAQs

Octopus Prime
01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Actually, on the VC version, it tells you when you BUY the game that the Letter is included on the Home Button Manual Thingy.

And as for the NES, well, I had one of the issues of Nintendo Power that mentioned it...

SamuelMarston
01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
So how did the original letter thing work? In the VC instruction manual I just kinda stumbled upon icons and highlighted words that I ended up clicking out of curiosity.

Did it involve water? Spoilers?

Octopus Prime
01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
It included an actual, factual letter, which, when dampened, revealed the numbers 747.

SamuelMarston
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
It included an actual, factual letter, which, when dampened, revealed the numbers 747.

That is awesome.

I'm sure it would have driven me mad as a kid though.

Sven
01-21-2008, 09:10 AM
That is awesome.

I'm sure it would have driven me mad as a kid though.

A lot of games did stuff like that...

... which gives me an idea for a forum topic.

Falselogic
01-22-2008, 01:33 PM
I just finished the sub maze and reached the crater with the ruins... I can't remember what happens from here, though I think I'm close to the alien ship...

Parish
01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I made it to the Spaceship levels last night, and after they started giving me fits I turned the game off. I was really enjoying it up until then, but now I wonder how my younger self ever managed to finish.
I clearly recall thinking that the spaceship was absolutely terrible back in the day. It was one of those instances where I rushed ahead as quickly as possible and beat it on my first time through, because I knew if I let myself slow down I'd lose, and if I lost I'd never have the patience to try it again.