PDA

View Full Version : Advice for playing Super Famicom games on a US SNES?

alexb
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm going to be receiving DQV and VI soon and at present, I can't play them. I know all about the two plastic tabs that prevent me from insert the cartridges. What I don't know is the best way of surmounting the obstacle.

I'm not crazy about cutting up my vintage 1992 SNES. He's been a good friend, and besides, what if I botch the conversion and end up tearing off half of the upper chassis? Buying a second system on which to operate isn't a great prospect either, because of the outrageous prices they go for these days. Back in the late '90s, Super Famicom to SNES converters were reasonably cheap, being around $20 or $30. But the only one I found on eBay was going for $70. This shit be expensive, yo.

So what does the Overmind recommend, given my situation?

reibeatall
01-11-2008, 03:09 PM
1 flathead screwdriver + 1 hammer = import friendly SNES.

Just poke it in there, and hit it a few times. Hit at an angle, NOT down, and you'll be fine. I promise.

Excitemike
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Converters are still readilty availible. (http://www.google.com/products?q=snes+super+famicom++converter&hl=en&show=dd)

q 3
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
I've heard a Pro Action Replay can do the job, but haven't ever tried it myself.

Kolbe
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I have an import-friendly SNES too. I say cut it. You won't regret it.

Excitemike
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I've heard a Pro Action Replay can do the job, but haven't ever tried it myself.

That would do it. It just need to clear the lip of the SNES.

Eusis
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Same goes for Game Genie, so if you have either around just use those or do whatever modifications you have to on that. Certainly I'd care less about the status of my cheat device than the actual console.

Andrew
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I have both a Pro Action Replay and a Genie for SNES, but I have no SuperFami games to test with.

However, it seems that post-1994 SNESes won't work with the Game Genie at all. If Nintendo couldn't sue Galoob to oblivion they would for darn sure make it so the SNES won't work with it.

Eirikr
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Get a mohel to do it for you.

gamin
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
1 flathead screwdriver + 1 hammer = import friendly SNES.

Just poke it in there, and hit it a few times. Hit at an angle, NOT down, and you'll be fine. I promise.

This worked just fine for me. The little tabs came straight off with a few strong poundings.

TheSL
01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I just bought a Super Famicom for $16 off of japangamestock.com, personally.

RAC
01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Same goes for Game Genie, so if you have either around just use those or do whatever modifications you have to on that. Certainly I'd care less about the status of my cheat device than the actual console.

This will work, but bear in mind that Game Genies won't work for any game with SuperFX or other carts with those two little chips on the sides. It doesn't have any contacts there.

I'd either buy a spare SNES and hammer out the tabs, or just buy a converter.

alexb
01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Good info. Thanks. I think I'll probably go with the converter.

VorpalEdge
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I really do recommend that you avoid the converter if you haven't already bought it. It's just another component that could die in five years. If you're scared of smashing something with the screwdriver/hammer combo attack, you could grab a good pair of pliers, even.

Then just don't knock the snes around while it's playing and you're set.

But if you've set your mind to buying a converter, I hope it ships quickly and you enjoy your games. :)

spineshark
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I just bought a Super Famicom for $16 off of japangamestock.com, personally.
How much was the shipping, though? My past experience browsing import consoles there is that you end up paying almost twice as much thanks to the bulky package (or whatever it is).

Especially hilarious in the case of their "3x SEGA Dreamcast" package.

XerdoPwerko
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I have an import-friendly SNES too. I say cut it. You won't regret it.

I killed one of my three, a Snes junior, by doing this, though.

You need something HOT to cut through; but if it's too hot you might go THROUGH the machine.

------------

That being said, I have cut two other units with serious success.

I say go for it.

ReyVGM
01-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Just get a crappy SNES cartridge, open it up and swap the circuit board with your japanese cart.
No need to mangle your snes or carts.

Eusis
01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Ummm... But aren't you kinda mangling the carts by popping one open then switching boards? Personally, I'm weird and would like to see that Japanese cart sticking out when I play, not some unloved copy of Madden '94 or whatever. But then I have two SNESes so should I ever care to play imports, I won't be totally screwed over if I break my second one in the process of modding it.

metal slime
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
A pair of pliers did the trick for me to get DQ6 to work. All you need to do is remove 2 plastic tabs inside where you put the cartridge.

TheSL
01-13-2008, 09:14 AM
How much was the shipping, though? My past experience browsing import consoles there is that you end up paying almost twice as much thanks to the bulky package (or whatever it is).

I think it was $20-something for shipping, but I bought like 8 games since they have that "buy 3 get one free" deal all the time.

Andrew
01-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Just get a crappy SNES cartridge, open it up and swap the circuit board with your japanese cart.

I did this with the N64, but I only needed to swap the backs.

All it should require is a gamebit screwdriver and some crappy SNES carts.

I actually found a Japanese Ramna 1/2 game that was put in a bootleg SNES cart once.

marcalan
01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
No need to mod your SNES or rip apart carts. Just get yourself a copier and go wild.

ReyVGM
01-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Ummm... But aren't you kinda mangling the carts by popping one open then switching boards?

Of course not.
If you ever want to go back and put the circuit board on the original Japanese plastic, then all you need to do is switch it back and no one will know the difference. Assuming you kept the Japanese cart shells around.

However, if you cut plastic pieces from your SNES or Cart, dust will eventually go in and if one day you decide to sell it, it will be worth a lot less money.
Not to mention that it looks plain ugly with those cut up holes (on the cart).

When I bought my copies of the SFC Final Fantasy 5 and Seiken Densetsu 3, all I did was get 2 copies of super mario world, I changed the circuit boards inside, I made a cover for the carts taking clippings from the manuals (which I regret now), then I made the logo taking them from the manuals also, I photocopied it in high quality color, pasted it on the carts, I put some transparent tape to give it that "shinny" look and voila.

My friends actually thought that they were original FF5 and SD3 (or Secret of Mana 2 as the title said on the cart) carts.

Ahh the good old pre-internet days where the world was much naive :)