PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Take-Out Episode 20: TMNT (GBA)

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x60/Ben1842/937405_83115_front.jpg
It's time to kick Shell with another Ninja Turtles review. This time it's for the very recent TMNT for the GBA.

See it Here (http://videogametakeout.blogspot.com/2008/01/video-game-take-out-episode-20-tmnt.html)

VsRobot
01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I've heard that this was an excellent brawler. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it, especially since you're an admitted Turtle fiend.

Thinaran
01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
This game doesn't look too bad, actually! Nice review as always, but you seemed less enthusiastic in this episode.

How would you rate the other GBA Turtles games?

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
This game doesn't look too bad, actually! Nice review as always, but you seemed less enthusiastic in this episode.

How would you rate the other GBA Turtles games?

lol, I seem less enthusiastic because I recorded the audio for this episode in a closet to keep the noise down. Kids were yelling and screaming near my apartment.

I plan to do the other turtles games at some point. I already did one, in TMNT: Back From the Sewers (http://revver.com/video/399839/video-game-take-out-episode-4-tmnt-back-from-the-sewers/) way back in episode 4.

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree; you did sound a little tired or something, like maybe the holidays had broken you or made you sick :)

I liked the new intro though, where you went right into the game. It worked really well.

I am kinda tired and I was down to the last minute to get this one out, so maybe it showed in my voice. Still I was happy to get it out on time. :)

(I'm still happy with it, even if it was a little low energy)

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
It was a good episode. You should be happy with it. You didn't sound so tired as to ruin it or anything.

That's good. I don't want it to be boring.

btw Next weeks show will be Phoenix Wright so if you have any thoughts or issues you'd like me to talk about, now is the time. lol
(I've only played the first game so try not to spoil it for me if you can avoid it :) )

VsRobot
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I really liked the new format of the introduction. That opening animation was much too long for a short-format show like yours. Opening with a bit of gameplay w/o voice over, then cutting to the Chu graphic, and then into the meat of the show is much better way to get viewers immediately engaged.

As for the show itself, the game looks vibrant and fun, and is one GBA cart I'll have an eye out for. I mostly play games solo, especially portable ones, so your main criticism of the game doesn't apply to me.

ArugulaZ
01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm kind of sad that my intro has been retired, but must grudgingly admit that everyone else is right... footage from the game is a more effective way to start the review.

Also... how the hell did you get that footage so crisp? Everything I post to YouTube looks like muddy crap. It might be time for me to look into an alternative...

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I really liked the new format of the introduction. That opening animation was much too long for a short-format show like yours. Opening with a bit of gameplay w/o voice over, then cutting to the Chu graphic, and then into the meat of the show is much better way to get viewers immediately engaged.

As for the show itself, the game looks vibrant and fun, and is one GBA cart I'll have an eye out for. I mostly play games solo, especially portable ones, so your main criticism of the game doesn't apply to me.

Yeah my main problem with the other intro is length. Some of the shows have been just a few seconds too long and it got me to thinking that maybe the long intro wasn't the best idea. Also I just wanted to try something new. I may go back to it next week or have no intro at all, because Phoenix Wright doesn't really lend itself to that type of intro. Either way the intro got me through 15 or so episodes and I can't thank Jess enough for making it for me. I just want to keep moving forward.

Also if you want to pickup the game you can buy it through my website now (Via Amazon) Right now it's only $11.26 cents, not too bad. :)

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm kind of sad that my intro has been retired, but must grudgingly admit that everyone else is right... footage from the game is a more effective way to start the review.

Also... how the hell did you get that footage so crisp? Everything I post to YouTube looks like muddy crap. It might be time for me to look into an alternative...

First off, it may not be totally retired, but I am glad that people liked the "experiment" I did this week. Second I want to say thank you for making it. At the time you didn't even know me and the show was only about 4 or 5 episodes deep. I know it took a lot of time and I'm sure I bugged you more than I should have. lol

on to the footage. I use Premiere Elements (soon to be Premiere Pro) and I've spent a lot of time playing with the settings. It actually looks a lot better on Revver than Youtube, but Youtube is more popular so I do what I can to make it look good on there too.

Thanks again for the intro. As of now it has been viewed about 60,000 times. So if nothing else that should make you feel good. :)

Aquadeo
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Nice job on the review! I don't have much faith in late-cycle movie tie-ins, and you addressed that right off the bat. You also acknowledged the previous Turtle games without dwelling on them too much, and you provided some well-edited footage to boot.

As for Phoenix Wright... I just introduced my co-worker to the game yesterday, and the big selling point of my pitch was that the game keeps moving you forward; when you've got all the evidence you need, Phoenix says he's ready to go to court, and you're off. You don't waste time back-tracking, and you know that you've got everything you need (even if it doesn't look hopeful at the time).

The straightforward gameplay is what sold my co-worker. The things that sold *me* were the objection duels with the prosecutor, the sweet moments of satisfaction when you finally get a witness to crack under pressure, and, naturally, the humour. It's a great series.

I'm looking forward to your witness testimony next week!

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice job on the review! I don't have much faith in late-cycle movie tie-ins, and you addressed that right off the bat. You also acknowledged the previous Turtle games without dwelling on them too much, and you provided some well-edited footage to boot.

As for Phoenix Wright... I just introduced my co-worker to the game yesterday, and the big selling point of my pitch was that the game keeps moving you forward; when you've got all the evidence you need, Phoenix says he's ready to go to court, and you're off. You don't waste time back-tracking, and you know that you've got everything you need (even if it doesn't look hopeful at the time).

The straightforward gameplay is what sold my co-worker. The things that sold *me* were the objection duels with the prosecutor, the sweet moments of satisfaction when you finally get a witness to crack under pressure, and, naturally, the humour. It's a great series.

I'm looking forward to your witness testimony next week!

Thanks, and Welcome to the forums. I hope you'll watch every week. :)

O..O~
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Um, on your review for the second tmnt game for the gameboy you say "areas you explore are really diverse like sewers,construction sites, elevators" How are elevators diverse? o_O

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Um, on your review for the second tmnt game for the gameboy you say "areas you explore are really diverse like sewers,construction sites, elevators" How are elevators diverse? o_O

LOL, well they are different than the other areas. I didn't mean each area was diverse, I meant that as a whole (game) you get to go to many different places. I guess I should have been more clear, but it was pretty early on and I was still learning (I still am, but I have a better idea now than I did then :) )

Thanks for watching, I really appreciate it.

Kolbe
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I stayed home the whole weekend to finish some articles and I took the chance to catch up with you VGTO episodes. I've not seen this one yet, but I'm on it. Regarding those I did watch, I must say you piqued my interest in Broken Sword...

... I didn't even know it was a point-and-click adventure. I always thought it was an american RPG or something! I so want to play it now!

Oh, right. TMNT.

Ben1842
01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I stayed home the whole weekend to finish some articles and I took the chance to catch up with you VGTO episodes. I've not seen this one yet, but I'm on it. Regarding those I did watch, I must say you piqued my interest in Broken Sword...

... I didn't even know it was a point-and-click adventure. I always thought it was an american RPG or something! I so want to play it now!

Oh, right. TMNT.

Yeah it's a point and click in the vein of Sierra or Lucasarts games. It's definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for taking the time to catch up. :)