PDA

View Full Version : Help, PC Gamers!/How Do I Optimize My/PC For Gaming?

Zarathustra
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
You'd think a previously console-exclusive gamer with the ocular fortitude to play all the way through Half-Life 2 on OG Xbox wouldn't be a frame-rate priss, but you'd be wrong as hell. I figured my $1000 system (dualcore 2.13, 2gbram, geforce 8600gt) wouldn't be killin' up on Crysis or anything, but then i saw this (http://kotaku.com/345337/crysis-running-on-900-machine) and began to wonder why The Witcher drops to 15-20fps outdoors or during fights with maxed settings. What kind of tweaking can be done to improve a PC's performance? What priority should i put on game-settings, as to strike the best visuals/performance balance? Would it be worth it to add another videocard (there's lot's of room for expansion)? Computers are confusing.

ArugulaZ
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Worst. Haiku. Ever.

dosboot
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Try turning everything down to minimum settings first. If there are major frame rate problems you can probably blame the game for sloppy programming. If not, slowly turn up the settings.

Resolution, Texture Quality, and Model Quality are the most obvious in terms of what benefit you see. Tweak those first to get a good baseline of what graphic quality you can expect to run well. Be extra careful to note the effect of any settings besides these three, because sometimes you'll find they have a significant performance cost and are not all that desirable in the first place (bloom lighting, motion blur, etc.) Anisotropic filtering always seems to me to be ridiculously expensive performance wise for the effect it generates. I'd turn it off completely or put it at the lowest setting unless you really have performance spare.

Edit: Also, if you don't know what something does Wiki/Google it.

widdershins
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Since every game that comes out now for the PC appears to be built for hardware that doesn't exist yet, your best bet is to:

1) Buy a DeLorean
2) Convert DeLorean into a Time Machine
3) Travel to the future (not too far, we still need 120 V AC power)
4) Sell trinket that you have brought with you (collectibles from present day will be worth a fortune)
5) Purchase 5 THz, octupple core diamond processor PC at local thrift store
6) Install Crysis
Note: May not be sufficient for highest graphical settings.

Ben1842
01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
In most cases just changing the lighting can make a big difference in performance. Also a lot of games high end graphics are made for two cards, both of which are better than your one, so you're gonna have to play on lower settings or resolution to fix framerate. This is why high end PC gaming doesn't make a lot of sense and games like UT3 and Crysis are preforming poorly sales wise.