PDA

View Full Version : Which Auto should I Thieve Grandly?

JCDenton
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I've been hearing an awful lot about these newfangled "GTA" games of late. The little I have played of them has been unimpressive and boring, but I recognize that they have had a tremendous impact on the industry. I should play at least one of the III, Vice City, San Andreas trio, but don't know which. The way I see it

III: Most important, influential
Vice City: Most fun, doesn't take itself seriously
San Andreas:Biggest, most to do

So I call upon Talking Time to help me in my hour of need. Which GTA deserves my playtime the most and why?

Eusis
06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
They're in a collection now on both PS2 and Xbox (maybe even PC?) for, I dunno, $30. I say just get them all. Alternatively, Rockstar's site has had GTA1 and 2 up for download on their site for awhile now, you could check those out though the experience isn't the same as for the PS2 ones.

I think I liked III the most though. It was the freshest of them.

PHATTOM
06-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Have you played Crackdown?

JCDenton
06-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Have you played Crackdown?

I have not, but I don't have access to a 360 either.

alexb
06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I say go with Vice City. It has motorcycles, great music, and Ray Liotta.

dangerhelvetica
06-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I found the original GTA III the most enjoyable, but I haven't played San Andreas. Something about the thorg life theme didn't appeal to me.

reibeatall
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
III no doubt. I can't play the other ones.

Greg4cr
06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
If you have a Wii, try the Godfather port. EA did a really good job with the controls.

BEAT
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
GTA San Andreas Can be an excellent game.

However, that's if and only if you play the Xbox Version on an Xbox360. That way you can enjoy graphics much better than the ones on the PS2, without having to use a controller that is powered by human suffering.

Honestly, I don't even want to think about playing that game under other circumstances.

alexb
06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh, it's fucking awesome, trying to fly the planes by tilting on the analog stick to change your heading while also having to compensate for your pitch using the black and white buttons. You totally won't constantly crash.

Eusis
06-03-2007, 08:41 PM
And here I was thinking that the driveby shootings sounded cubersome.

... To be fair, I suppose the X360 controller could improve that. Too bad that's irrelevant for the conversation.

BEAT
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Precicely. Out of the 3, San Andreas is the only one I ever cared enough to get past the first mission with. It's a great game, the only caviat is that on the PS2 It's ugly and on the Original Xbox any sort of flying mission will result in tears of frustration.

God bless the 360, and it's ability to make the pain go away.

Jeanie
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Personally I liked GTA3 best. Vice City was just too much for me, too many weapons that you had to choose between, too busy soundtrack (yeah it was good but it tried too hard), too many missions that were alike, I dunno it was overly complicated for me. In three, it was just a lot more fun, especially since I'm one those people who reloads after dying or getting busted. Also to brag, I did get to the last mission in GTA3 with out cheating except to drop a tank once to finish the collection of emergency vehicles. Never could beat that last mission though.

Never tried SA, was kinda burnt out after VC

Stephen
06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I personally liked Vice City the best, because I really enjoyed the 80's atmosphere.

GTAIII has the best missions and allows the greatest amount of the vaunted "sand-box" freedom, but it's laced with bugs and glitches.

San Andreas is the most polished, has the largest area to explore and has by far the best story. Sadly, it lacks the mission "freedom" of the previous two. There are a lot of missions in SA where you're forced to follow a very specific course of action, which is kinda in opposition to the idea that made GTA so fun in the first place.

I guess it depends on what you want. If it's freedom to finish missions as you please, go with GTAIII. If you like the 80's, go with Vice City. If you want a great story, go with SA.

Torgo
06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I liked three the best, if only because the cheats were easy to input and cop cars were easy to steal, letting me play the Vigilante mode. I would buy GTA3 just for that. Screw everything else.

I haven't played San Andreas (because deep down I don't give a crap about GTA), but Vice City is also very good, if only for the motorcycles.

Vahn16
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm one of those people who played GTA with friends, and only to go on rampages. I just never got into the missions. I think it's because the open-world concept was cool, but the different gameplay types were mediocre at best.

As for which GTA to check out, I got the furthest in Vice City, so I'll vote for that one.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Get GUN. GTA in the old west, with Tom Jane, Chris Kristofferson and Lance Henriksen doing voice work. It's not the longest game, but it sure is fun.

marcalan
06-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Here's my breakdown, from best to worst:

Vice City: The voice acting is excellent here, with all kinds of things to do. There is the ocassional glitch, but in a game so large, that's to be expected. There's plenty of vehicles to steal and while there are a lot of weapons, all of them feel equal. Plus motorcycles rock! Vice City does not take itself seriously, playing as not just an homage to Scarface and like movies, but also as a parody. Their talk radio station and commercials are the best here. Plus, the city is large, but never feels too large.

III: Only loses to VC due to the lack of motorcycles and having to gradually unlock the city.

San Andreas: In my opinion the worst of the bunch. While there's lots to love, what with the increased vehicle count and RPG-esque growth of CJ, it's far, far to large. The game takes itself way to seriously and one mission in particular is in very poor taste (you have to steal guns from a National Guard base and kill Guardsmen while your buddy continues to steal. This just left one very bad taste in my mouth).

TheSL
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I liked San Andreas the best if only because I could ramp a vehicle off the top of a mountain, bail out and parachute to safety.

Zef
06-04-2007, 09:48 AM
marcalan, those are my thoughts exactly.

I say go with the compilation if it's available. If not, then rent GTA III and keep Vice City. The former is an excellent introduction to the concept, has an astounding degree of freedom, and dagnabbit, messing with the glitches and bugs is a game all in itself. You haven't played GTA till you land the wingless Dodo plane on top of Donald Love's penthouse or you propel yourself into Blue Hell with a tank's cannon fire.

Vice City is my favorite of the three, by far. It's a lot more polished, Tommy is an amusing anti-hero that is just enough of a sociopath to be cartoony without being disturbing, and, hey, HELICOPTERS. You can spend HOURS just messing with the police while abusing the Sparrow or the Hunter. Also, it's a lot more forgiving with its Taxi and Ambulance missions, and the vast majority of its missions are actually pretty funny and some are downright hilarious.

On the other hand, I learned to hate San Andreas very early on. The plot was too serious and full of rage after Vice City. I also disliked the "character growth" aspect because it made CJ clumsy and awkward, so my freedom to just drive around and mess with the city felt severely restricted for a very long time. The need to eat and exercise felt more like an annoying chore than customization (especially since this, too, hindered the gameplay.) The worst part, however, was the radio. I hated the radio with a passion, which was heartbreaking because it's the aspect I loved the most in SA's predecessors. "Thug" culture aside, I could have forgiven every other perceived flaw (from my POV) in the game if the music or talk shows had appealed to me. In the end, though, I made it as far as the last mission in Los Santos' opening act, and traded it in for We Love Katamari. :(

Torgo
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
So, I'm the only one who turns off the radio in GTA?

For what it's worth, while we're talking about the series, someone should probably mention that the first two games are free. I still think GTA2 is pretty decent fun, despite the goofy, limited perspective.

(Plus, the multiplayer mode is tons of fun.)

Although I'm hardly a fan of the series, it's kind of sad to hear that it went over-the-top serious in San Andreas. While the humor in the previous two aren't my style (at all), I at least appriciated that they didn't take themselves all that seriously.

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Man, back in the day in college, my friends and I had great fun playing GTA (the first one I think, but maybe the second one too) in multiplayer. Totally awseome.

As for the recent ones, I really enjoyed GTAIII when I first started playing it and continued to love the missions, massacres, stunts, and just fucking around up until about 2/3 of the way through the second area. THen I was just done with it and haven't felt an urge to return since.

hank_tree
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Vice City is the only one I liked enough to finish. I can't imagine going back and playing any of them after playing Crackdown though.

Does anyone remember the song from GTA1? It's half stuck in my head. Something about going for a joyride and the NYPD.

Guy
06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Get GUN. GTA in the old west, with Tom Jane, Chris Kristofferson and Lance Henriksen doing voice work. It's not the longest game, but it sure is fun.

Don't forget Ron Perlman.

alexb
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Vice City is the only one I liked enough to finish. I can't imagine going back and playing any of them after playing Crackdown though.

Does anyone remember the song from GTA1? It's half stuck in my head. Something about going for a joyride and the NYPD.

Yeah, the song was cheesy but kind of fun. You know they had a remastered version of it in Grand Theft Auto III, right? I think it was on the Mix station.

dangerhelvetica
06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
The best GTAIII multiplayer metagame ever: see how many stars and how long you can rampage around city before getting busted/killed. Then hand off the controller to the next person. Oodles of fun.

Vahn16
06-05-2007, 01:55 AM
You mean there's other things to do in a GTA game?

I kid, I kid.

openedsource
06-05-2007, 05:16 AM
The best GTAIII multiplayer metagame ever: see how many stars and how long you can rampage around city before getting busted/killed. Then hand off the controller to the next person. Oodles of fun.

I do the same. That's why I was always so disappointed by the fact that large portions of the city were locked down until you completed the obligatory missions.

That's also why I really digged Crackdown.

ohGr
06-05-2007, 11:32 AM
My favourite was always to input the "Give all pedestrians weapons" and "Pedestrians go crazy" codes. This turns all the peds into armed, homicidal maniacs and thrusts Liberty City into complete and utter chaos.

Then, starting from your hideout in Portland, the goal is to travel across the entire map and reach your hideout in Shoreside Vale on foot, without getting killed. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and more difficult than it might sound.

Zef
06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, technically, you could walk down the subway tunnels and avoid at least a third of the carnage that way. Cheap and boring, though you will get to hear the sounds of warfare above you.

When it came to abusing glitches, I also liked using the Indestructible Infernus (acquired in the Portland street race) to crash into the elevated train and launch myself across the islands. Don't remember my height record, but I always made it to the construction site near the second hideout.