PDA

View Full Version : Tim Olyphant

VsRobot
06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Other than Deadwood, what has he been exceptional in? I guess I'm behind the curve on this guy because I think of him as the guy from Girl Next Door, a movie I found to be so awful that it tainted my perception of everyone involved.

I'm not a Deadwood fan as I don't have much time for television with all the media I already drown myself in.

thomp538
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Other than Deadwood, what has he been exceptional in? I guess I'm behind the curve on this guy because I think of him as the guy from Girl Next Door, a movie I found to be so awful that it tainted my perception of everyone involved.

I'm not a Deadwood fan as I don't have much time for television with all the media I already drown myself in.
What? You didn't find "The Girl Next Door" to be a gripping piece of great American cinema?

Jakanden
06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
He was pretty good in Go and Scream 2 (considering what he was working with). Other than that, I don't know much about him.

I did dig the Hitman trailer though and I think he actually looks like he will make a decent Agent 47.

ringworm
06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Deadwood is by far his best work though, everything else he has done is basically popcorn.

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
As I said elsewhere, I haven't seen Girl Next Door, but there have been discussions about Olyphant in other forums I visit, and the consensus was he was one of the highlights of that movie.

I've seen all of Deadwood, and he did a great job there. He did a good job in Live Free or Die Hard, and I saw Go so long ago I don't remember who he was (and didn't know who he was at the time), but I remember liking Go.

He's not the greatest living actor or anything, but seems like the kind of guy you can count on a solid performance from in any given movie. What sort of set me off in the other thread was the combination of writing him off as an actor because of the movie he was in (Girl Next Door), and then an apparent unwillingness to try to separate the actor from the character when you said his performance in Deadwood probably couldn't be compared to Die Hard because he's a villian in DH and the hero (sorta) in Deadwood.

When you see Olyphant's name in the credits, it's no guarantee you're watching a good movie, but it's hardly something you could hold against a film.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
He was really Good in Go. He was just bizarre but not in an over the top movie way, he was just tuned into his own frequency.

ringworm
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
He played the drug dealer Todd Gaines, for those of you who are scratching your heads.

sraymonds
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I liked him in Dreamcatcher...

Calorie Mate
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Olyphants? Aren't Olyphants those elephant things in Lord of the Rings?

VsRobot
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
unwillingness to try to separate the actor from the character when you said his performance in Deadwood probably couldn't be compared to Die Hard because he's a villian in DH and the hero (sorta) in Deadwood.

I actually considering saying that Olyphant couldn't possible be good in Die Hard because unlike in Deadwood he couldn't say cunt every other word, but I couldn't remember if his character talks like Swearingen. I've only seen the first season and it was a long time ago. I was basically trying to defend a dumb statement rather than retract it because I was in a pissy mood (blah blah toe hurts migraine so tired blah blah don't wanna be too emo about it) but Evil Dead Junkie's statement out Jeremy Irons and Dungeons and Dragons stopped me cold because I fucking love Jeremy Irons, and it's not fair to hold a bad movie against a good actor. Actors can only do so much, after all.