PDA

View Full Version : Books on legends, myths and other tales

marcalan
06-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm currently looking at increasing my library of cultural myths and tales. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one interested in the various cultures that dot our world and the stories that arise from them and that you might be able to point me in the right direction.

So far, I've got several Celtic tales books, one by Peter Berrisford Ellis and Celtic Myths and Legends by T.W. Rolleston. A couple of Norse myth books, titles and authors escape me at the moment. Another pair of Japanese myth and legends books, although I do not have anything by Lafcadio Hearn yet. And the Greco/Roman myths I've read so many times, I will admit to being sick of them. I've also got several Chinese books, one on myths, legends and tales specifically and Journey to the West and The Three Kingdoms.

Areas/Groups that I am interested in: Aztec/Incan/Pre-Spanish Central & South America, Eastern Europe and Russia, perhaps an unedited copy of Hans Christian Andersen and the Grimm Brothers. Native American and Hawaiian. Indian/Hindu, especially how the earliest myths compare to early Celtic.

Anything you can throw my way would be appreciated.

shivam
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
lafcadio hearn is fucked up reading. amazing and awesome, but a total mindfuck.

alexb
06-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I know Hearn was a bit of an eccentric, but what makes his stuff so unique? I haven't read any of his work at present.

shivam
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
well, he has a really creepy vibe. his writing is very cold and ethereal, and almost hollow. it feels like you're entering a shadow plane or something--like the world isnt the world you thought it was.

Balrog
06-27-2007, 01:00 PM
My dad had a book on Aborigine folklore that really blew my mind.

Also, where's the Greek?

alexb
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I didn't think you could make it out of high school without reading Hamilton.

marcalan
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Like I mentioned, I've read so much Greco/Roman, I'm quite sick of them. And to be honest, while Edith Hamilton's is very well researched, she is very dry in the retelling.

Squall
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
After reading through 3x3 Eyes I want to go take a deeper look into Hindu mythos.

shivam
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
sadly, there arent many good books on hindu mythology in english. its a goal of mine to do a really good one though.

marcalan
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
sadly, there arent many good books on hindu mythology in english. its a goal of mine to do a really good one though.

Get cracking on that!

alexb
06-27-2007, 04:51 PM
That's something I would enjoy immensely.

nadia
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I know it doesn't really count as myth in the hardest sense of the word (really depends on how you interpret the Bible), but I really love reading The Midrash. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash) I generally like the way Judaism encourages Biblical interpretation and argument. My dad says it's the reason so many Jews are lawyers. :D

NoKidding
06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
I know it doesn't really count as myth in the hardest sense of the word (really depends on how you interpret the Bible), but I really love reading The Midrash. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash) I generally like the way Judaism encourages Biblical interpretation and argument. My dad says it's the reason so many Jews are lawyers. :D

Holy crap. I just realized who you are. I totally loved your megaman fanfics, back when I was still reading fanfics... Some 7 or 8 years ago, I guess. Small world.

nadia
06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Holy crap! Awesome! Small world indeed (but as a family friend is so fond of adding, "I wouldn't want to paint it").

ha ha, I still write Mega Man fanfic, too. Very sporadically, though. Most of my time these days is spent writing less useful stuff that will hopefully keep me from starving to death.

Crazy Larry
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I read through a book about the myths of Celtic Ireland a month ago. Wasn't a very good read though. It didn't contain enough of the actual mythology, and the author spent far too much space trying to shoehorn the myths to fit into his own personal political and philosophical beliefs. Kind of sad too, cause what actual mythology he did go over sounded quite awesome.

But now I'm going straight to the source and reading the Finnish Kalevala, and I'll probably read the Nordic Eddas next.