PDA

View Full Version : New Cronenberg/Viggo collaboration

VsRobot
06-28-2007, 12:03 AM
History of Violence is one of my favorite movies, and I have high hopes for Eastern Promises. I would say HoV is probably Cronenberg's second best movie, after Dead Ringers and just above Videodrome and The Fly.

Any other Cronenberg fans? How would you rank his oeuvre?

Check out the trailer for his new movie here. (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809794102/video/3182401/)

Evil Dead Junkie
06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm a huge Cronenberg geek and HOV is really fucking good...

But Second Best? No fucking way.

ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH baby.

Sarcasmorator
06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Jee-zus, Joey.

VsRobot
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm a huge Cronenberg geek and HOV is really fucking good...

But Second Best? No fucking way.

ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH baby.

If we're only talking about his body horror movies, I still like Dead Ringers more than Videodrome.

Also: Existenz is better than the Matrix.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Really?

Look man I loved my unloved movies and bold sweeping statements as much as the next cinephile.

But c'mon Existenz is a textbook case of a movie with some good ideas and little else. Worse of all its the only time Cronenberg has looked anything other then cutting edge as he explores the possibilities of these new fangled vigogames.

Its Avalon with cool teeth bullets. I like both movies on their own terms, but sometimes facts is facts.

As for Dead Ringers I love that movie, but I've always thought it was overrated in Cronenbergs Ouerve I'd put it behind (ahem this will take awhile) They Came From Within, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, The Fly, Naked Lunch and History Of Violence.

VsRobot
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I've completely soured on the Matrix. Maybe it's the unwatchable sequels tainting my view, but I don't find it a very good movie, although I admit that I liked it at the time.

As far as Dead Ringers goes, I think it's an amazing film. Brood, Scanners, Rabid, and Shivers are interesting but nowhere near the level of The Fly, Videodrome, Naked Lunch or HoV. Still, it's all degrees excellence, isn't it? I admit that Spider kind of left me cold.

I think I need to rewatch all Cronenberg's films to really sort out how I would rank them. Since HoV is the most recent films of his I've seen, maybe I'm giving it a little bump just based on being familiar with it. I think it's been 2 or 3 years since I watched all his movies in chronological order (including Fast Company).

Evil Dead Junkie
06-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Willingly rewatch Fast Company? You are Hardcore lol.

Yeah Spider was weird, it was the kind of movie that I should have loved, lot of my favorite actors, great concept and atmosphere, but it just left me cold at the end.