PDA

View Full Version : Alt 16: Ninja Gaiden (NES)

Parish
02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Difficulty: If you wanna brag about one-lifing this puppy, you'd better offer some YouTube proof. Otherwise, feel free to bitch about unfair level design.

Ninja Gaiden
Tecmo | NES | Action | 1989

Also acceptable: Ninja Gaiden Trilogy version, Virtual Console version, bonus content on one or another of the Xbox games. You can also discuss the crappy arcade game if you are in the need to be pointed and laughed at.

Jakanden
02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I am so down with this FC. I will be playing this tonight or tomorrow methinks.

DANoWAR
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I played this game about a month ago, I think. I was surprised because the ever-despised eagles weren't so much of a nuisance than I would have thought they would be.

Instead I will now break down the minute I meet real-life jetpack-powered ninjas throwing shuriken at me.

EDIT: Well, except for this one eagle who only appears when you jump across a wide gap, flying right through your jump path every fucking time.

Phat
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Oh man I just got the cart at the flea market two weeks ago. Three dollars.

I only have one small problem, and that is that I do not own a NES.

Sven
02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
VC for me (I sure as hell can't one life it, but I was capable of beating it back in the day). Although I'm half-tempted to find the arcade version, because I've never played it and am intrigued.

Won't be as easy a run as Metal Gear was, though, since I could sequence-break that one.

Tomm Guycot
02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I have one-lifed it, and I have no way to Youtube the accomplishment.

So instead, I'll simulate playing this along w/ you guys.

Shit! Bird! What the fuck!? argharghargh I hate this stupid game!!!!

(should there be a second thread for "Ninja Gaiden Story Thread"?)

Dadgum Roi
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I fired up a dormant VC game from a few months back; by some miracle of god, the suspend point hadn't been deleted. On the other hand, I was immediately confronted with a Game Over screen, which is appropriate enough.

So I started out on 3-2, got spooked by the bird shaped item drops and got over it, got smacked around a bit by the eagles, but made it to the end, where I was sent plunging to my death by a fucking jaguar. I then proceed to replay this level a couple more times until I can time this last jump exactly right; sometimes an eagle would fuck me up, sometimes a jaguar. Sometimes they'd team up like some kind of endangered species retribution strike force. Way too much of this shit in this game- the pillar sequence in 1-2 springs to mind as well.

But I beat the 3-2 boss on the first try, watched the lengthy cut scene(those have aged surprisingly well), and forged ahead in 4-1. Fuck me, dude. This level is a dog's breakfast of all the most annoying shit about this game- machine gunners perched in positions that make them almost impossible to kill without taking damage, cheap ass flying monsters that fuck up your jumps, and those goddamn bitch fuck damn it jaguars running all over the place.

So, why the hell did I like this game so much back in the day?

1. The controls are pretty tight, I must admit. All of the wall flipping and sticking was new, too. NG is pretty heavy on the level memorization, but I don't mind as much as I otherwise might, because it's actually a lot of fun to blaze through a level with these controls.

2. The cut scenes. They're still pretty cool.

3. NINJA.

Brickroad
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
(should there be a second thread for "Ninja Gaiden Story Thread"?)

JUST A GIRL. GET OUT OF HERE!

Sven
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I'd love to play a remake of NGI with the "crawl up the wall" ability from NGII added in. As it is, Ryu feels like the world's most useless Ninja in the first one since you miss a jump and he's stranded at the top of a wall like an idiot while you try and pull off the back-and-forth jump.

Parish
02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I considered a thread of lamentation in which I could express my regret for letting my super-cute friend Irene Lu get away back in college. Any girl who shares a name (spelling differences aside) with an NES dame is a rare find. At this point I guess it's down to Maria Lovelette.

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I have one-lifed it, and I have no way to Youtube the accomplishment.

I have too. While I also had no way to youtube it, I did take photographic evidence (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/ngonelife/). (There are a few tips in there for any having difficulty with the game.)

So instead, I'll simulate playing this along w/ you guys.

Good idea.

No! I didn't mean to pick up the throwing star and lose the jump-and-slash. Damn you ninja jet-pack shuriken! Just got to get this candle... no! Fuck you, machine gunner! If I could have just gotten that health bottle I could have survived! Dammit!

Kishi
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Although I'm half-tempted to find the arcade version, because I've never played it and am intrigued.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gaiden_rabbit.png

And that's all you need to know.

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
The arcade version (besides being a sub-par beat 'em up with the world's best continue screen) had a "grab" button right on the spherical joystick top. That alone makes it... well not complete trash.

Despite the picture Kishi posted, this is really all you need to know:
http://ninjagaiden.classicgaming.gamespy.com/images/ngarcont.gif

Dadgum Roi
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I one-lifed Ninja Gaiden while getting a blowjob from an Alabama truckstop hooker. She was supposed to post it to Youtube but she never did.

Fixed my post.

Falselogic
02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I already hate myself enough. I don't need to punish myself anymore than I already do.

just for fun I started a game got the to second part of stage 3 and then died. So there go my dreams of one lifing it...

I could try more but.... see above

Sven
02-13-2008, 06:36 PM

And that's all you need to know.

SOLD~!

Sanagi
02-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I'll fire up the old game to see if I have any thoughts about it but I'm probably not going to have the patience to get anywhere. I never did get past cheap jetpack ninja spawnpoint back in the day(I only ever owned NG2 so that's the only one I finished).

The arcade game was cool-looking but I don't remember having much fun.

Stiv
02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I played this a while ago because my girlfriend wanted to make fun of the cutscenes with me. It was both easier than I remembered (it took me until 4-2 to die) and harder than I remembered (I didn't get past 5-1).

Meanwhile this is a great excuse for me to put it in the good ol' NES again. Maybe tomorrow!

Tomm Guycot
02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Despite the picture Kishi posted, this is really all you need to know:
http://ninjagaiden.classicgaming.gamespy.com/images/ngarcont.gif

No wonder I thought "Gaiden" was Japanese for "bondage"

Jakanden
02-14-2008, 03:29 AM
I have too. While I also had no way to youtube it, I did take photographic evidence (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/ngonelife/). (There are a few tips in there for any having difficulty with the game.)

Hell, I don't even need to replay the game now.

Mr. Sensible
02-14-2008, 04:06 AM
Hell, I don't even need to replay the game now.

I think you just made the Spirit of Fun Club cry.

Jakanden
02-14-2008, 05:33 AM
Oh I fully plan to replay it, especially since I learned a number of things from Red Hedgehog's site. I was never very good at Ninja Gaiden, but now I think I have a decent shot with some practice.

Jakanden
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Shit! Bird! What the fuck!? argharghargh I hate this stupid game!!!!

After my lunch break, I second this even if you are just playing along.

Falselogic
02-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Got to stage 3 part 2...

estragon
02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm stuck at the boss at the end of stage 4.

This is frustrating.

EDIT: Nevermind. That was actually easy. All I had to do was stop jumping and stay under the pillars most of the time.

So far I'm finding this much easier than when I tried to play through Castlevania. I hear the end of this one is much harder though.

Sven
02-15-2008, 08:09 AM
On a lark, played through on the way home yesterday and got through the Kelbeross (sp?) dogs. Not bad, but I'm still shitty at hitting one of the last jumps in 2-2. Now, however, I can work my way up the wall, which I could never do as a kid, so it's not a death sentence.

Now to track down the arcade version for a holiday Monday playthrough....

Jakanden
02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Ye gods I suck at this. I am stuck on stage 2-2. I got past it once, but now I am stuck on it.

Question - when you have the jump slash, how do you jump and slash without actually using it? Sometimes I will jump and do a normal straight slash, but most times I do the spinning slash thing.

EDIT - Yay finally figured out that last jump on 2-2.

Sven
02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Question - when you have the jump slash, how do you jump and slash without actually using it? Sometimes I will jump and do a normal straight slash, but most times I do the spinning slash thing.

Hold down while slashing. That cancels out the jump-and-slash.

Jakanden
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks! That is one of those little things that always drove me nuts, but I never really got around to asking anyone about it.

Made it to 4-1 on my lunch break and will likely play it again tonight.

Red Hedgehog
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I always found this game quite incongruous in that, as difficult as the levels are, the bosses are all relatively easy (excepting the last two). I guess they just wanted to reward you for actually making it through the levels.

Tomm Guycot
02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I just played through it.

Started at 1:35 and beat it at 2:13

Died 13 times (ugh)

Continued 3 times.

The deaths/continues weren't even in difficult places. I continued the first time on stage 3 (wtf). I died at least five times in the jungle of stage 4 (kept grabbing the 1up). How embarrassing.

I made it through the final boss gauntlet in one go, which means no deaths :)

This game is so great.

Kishi
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Kelbeross (sp?)

Cerberus.

Parish
02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
No, it's Kelbeross.

Kishi
02-15-2008, 05:09 PM
And Basaquer is Berserker. It's not 1989 anymore! We don't have to do this! Don't believe the l--[whack]

[whump]

JCDenton
02-15-2008, 06:18 PM
So, playing this for the first time (I know, I know) and it seems to be pretty good. Mostly well-designed, though I have no idea what half the power-ups do and a couple restart points are painful without a secondary weapon. Then again, I pretty much suck seeing as how I've gotten to the second boss once in my 20 minutes of playing. It is a bit frustrating to be knocked into a pit, only to grab the side and have no way to recover.

estragon
02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think I will ever get past the first screen of 6-1.

JCDenton
02-15-2008, 06:45 PM
A bit more time has gotten me to the boss of stage 3, but I've only landed 2 hits on him. Need to develop a better strategy than "get owned."

Jakanden
02-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Made it to 5-1 but I keep getting owned by the combination of Jumping ninjas and birds (FUCKING BIRDS!!).

On a related note, I am listening to an old episode of Retronauts (Marathon) and at one point Game Center CX is discussed. During the discussion Jeremy mentions getting killed multiple times by the bats in Ninja Gaiden.

Tomm Guycot
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
I gave it a shot before leaving work to see how far I could get without continuing.

I did get all 3 extra lives (so I died six times).

My final death was on Jaquio (second form of the three part last boss) which is pretty depressing since I beat that gauntlet without dying earlier in the day. Got antsy and tried to speed it up, resulting in a stupid, avoidable death.

A bit more time has gotten me to the boss of stage 3, but I've only landed 2 hits on him. Need to develop a better strategy than "get owned."

Go inside his room past the first rock (in the background). Face left. Kneel and swing your sword.

Every time he lands there you'll hit him 3-4 times. If he fires bullets from the left, you'll automatically hit them to take no damage.

If he fires bullets from the right, throw your windmill star straight at them (on the ground) and the two on the bottom (the only two that will hit you if standing) will be destroyed.

Jakanden
02-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Dear gods these rocket ninjas are kicking the crap out of me. How did I ever beat this game when I was a kid?

Parish
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Dear gods these rocket ninjas are kicking the crap out of me. How did I ever beat this game when I was a kid?
If you're like me, sheer cussedness and the need to wring every last penny of entertainment from your $40 investment.

Tomm Guycot
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM

If you're talking about stage 5, you should get firewheel right before that stretch, and be able to nail them as soon as they fly onto the screen.

If you're talking about stage 6 it's a little trickier. Just before you reach that section you're on a small platform w/ a motorcycle man on the platform in front of you. Throw the windmill star at him. As it returns, jump across and IMMEDIATELY jump right, onto the wall. Your star will wing around and kill the first rocket ninja. Once you get on the larger platform w/ the candle, leap forward and two ninjas will spawn--you should be able to sword them in midair. That candle is a jumpslash, which should enable you to make the last two jumps without being affected by the ninjas/their stars (don't leap until you see a star/ninja immediately endangering you. If you jump sooner they can star you from behind w/out giving you a way out)

The most important thing is learning NOT to hit back for any purpose. Learn how far to jump to avoid their respawn, and DO NOT BACKTRACK. If you get one respawning you'll have to move to avoid him and that will respawn the others endlessly. Just keep forging ahead.

Jakanden
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks Tomm. I got past the stage 5 ones and made it to 5-3. Now I am at this jump where there is a infinte GI Joe jumping dude, a bird and a rocket launcher guy and getting slaughtered.

I WILL BEAT THIS GAME!

If you're like me, sheer cussedness and the need to wring every last penny of entertainment from your $40 investment.

Well I was 9 when it came out so more like my parent's $40 investment, but this was probably pretty accurate since they didn't buy me too many games.

Tomm Guycot
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
If anyone has a specific trouble spot, I can try to give you the pattern to get through it, if you want.

estragon
02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Tomm. I got past the stage 5 ones and made it to 5-3. Now I am at this jump where there is a infinte GI Joe jumping dude, a bird and a rocket launcher guy and getting slaughtered.

That section was a bitch. Here's how you do it: Don't stop. If you just keep moving forward and time your mid-air slash just right, you'll kill the rocket launcher guy and jump under the GI Joe jumping dude. If you hesitate, GI Joe Jumping Dude keeps respawning making it practically impossible, and the bird fucks you up. Just rush on through there. If you keep moving forward, the timing will work out.

. . . and I'm still stuck on the first screen of stage 6.

estragon
02-16-2008, 11:24 PM
6-2! I never thought I would see this day!

Parish
02-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, in the later stages success is basically a matter of knowing where enemies will appear and moving psychically to avoid them all. There's one section in the final stretch where I would always try to keep the boomerang shuriken circling around me for as long as possible in order to take out everything around me. Man, I would never take this kind of abuse from a game these days.

Jakanden
02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Man, I would never take this kind of abuse from a game these days.

I don't know why am accepting this abuse today from this game, but I keep going back even after getting "Hulk SMASH" angry.

That section was a bitch. Here's how you do it: Don't stop. If you just keep moving forward and time your mid-air slash just right, you'll kill the rocket launcher guy and jump under the GI Joe jumping dude. If you hesitate, GI Joe Jumping Dude keeps respawning making it practically impossible, and the bird fucks you up. Just rush on through there. If you keep moving forward, the timing will work out.

Thanks, made it to 6-2 before I got "Hulk SMASH" angry again.

estragon
02-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks, made it to 6-2 before I got "Hulk SMASH" angry again.

That makes two of us.

Red Hedgehog
02-17-2008, 09:46 AM
6-2 is a bitch. While I think 6-3 is marginally more difficult, they are both balls-out hard.

6-1 isn't that bad because it's short and for most of the stage, you can advance slowly, letting one enemy appear and then take it out. Except the very end of the stage where you should just run through everything.

Jakanden
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Screw this, I am done. 6-2 is more frustrating than anything I have played in a long time and I have more of a desire to bash my head into a wall than continue trying it.

I was either a really stupid or really skilled kid.

Tomm Guycot
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
But... 6-2 is easier than 6-1 :(

EDIT: I meant 6-3

Torgo
02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I haven't played this in awhile, but I was able to get to 5-3 before I gave up in frustration. If the stage didn't kill me, the boss was more then happy to finish me off. Bonus points for having to start all the way back at the beginning if the boss kills you.

Jakanden
02-17-2008, 01:53 PM

I got through 6-1 first try, but 6-2 is destroying me every time. It isn't even a specific spot as sometimes I make it to the third section and others I keep dying on the second section. I will likely try again tomorrow, but between this and Mission 11 boss in DMC 4's Son of Sparda mode, I met my frustration quota for the day.

Plus, the weather calls for a nice motorcycle ride today.

Red Hedgehog
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I haven't played this in awhile, but I was able to get to 5-3 before I gave up in frustration. If the stage didn't kill me, the boss was more then happy to finish me off. Bonus points for having to start all the way back at the beginning if the boss kills you.

5-3 is a bitch (Ninjas with jetpacks! Ugh!) but the boss is ridiculously easy... the first time you fight him. Since there's a cutscene before it, you get all your health back before the fight. Just run up to him and start slashing. He will run out of health before you do.

I disagree. 6-1 is short and only difficult at the very end. 6-2 has a couple ninja jetpack sections and plenty of ground sections with spinning jump-kickers, machine gunners, bats, and birds that end up hitting you into one another. Seriously, 6-2 or 6-3 are the hardest stages in the game.

Tomm Guycot
02-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I disagree. 6-1 is short and only difficult at the very end. 6-2 has a couple ninja jetpack sections and plenty of ground sections with spinning jump-kickers, machine gunners, bats, and birds that end up hitting you into one another. Seriously, 6-2 or 6-3 are the hardest stages in the game.

I edited above. I was thinking 6-1 and 6-2 were the same stage.

What I meant to say was: 6-3 is easier than 6-2.

Jakanden
02-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Ok, I just spent 30 minutes on 6-2 and still couldn't get past it. I am officially done with this (for real this time).

Stephen
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Difficulty: If you wanna brag about one-lifing this puppy, you'd better offer some YouTube proof. Otherwise, feel free to bitch about unfair level design.

I did it in the days before youtube, back when you mastered a difficult game for the satisfaction of knowing you were the best. These days it's all about the glory and the girls and the money. It makes me sick.

PS: I tried to play Ninja Gaiden today. Got killed by that football player in Act 2 Scene 2 three times in a row. 10 years is a long time and I officially suck at 8-bit games now.

Red Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok, I just spent 30 minutes on 6-2 and still couldn't get past it. I am officially done with this (for real this time).

Any particular places giving you trouble? I'm sure Tomm, I, and other could attempt to give advice.

Jakanden
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
I appreciate it but nah. I am far too frustrated at the game to care anymore.

O..O~
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Games like this are why I was happy when I was 10 years old and discovered emulators with save states. Nothing like constantly reloading a jump. Then again, even with save states this game is a bitch.

WHAT THE HELL ARE BOXERS DOING AT ALL THESE PLACES?

Tomm Guycot
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I have photographic proof I beat it without continuing (iffy run), but it's on my phone.

Is there anyone I can text this to who could then transfer it to computer?

Rev. Ragu
02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I actually cleaned up my NES and booted the game up before I heard that there were other people concurrently playing it. For whatever reason, it's like I'm nine years old on summer vacation and this is one of the five games that I own again. I have played the whole thing through, only stopping short of beating it, probably fifteen times since last week, I can get to the final boss sequence without continuing, I've made it all the way to stage 6 on one life, and I think an entire one life run is within reach.

...Except I still can't beat friggin' Jaquio.

I've resolved to do it like a MAN. No dying, doing level 6 over again, then coming back for him with a jump-and-slash. I am going to lay that sucker out with my bread knife. He's currently winning by attrition; I just can't seem to land enough hits, and the last time I fought him he had me down to the final countdown on the timer where I proceeded to throw caution out the window and run at him, promptly recieving a swift and humiliating defeat.

This game is the best. In the latter stages of the game, it doesn't care what you like, what you think of it, what you want out of it. It hates you and it will punch your guts until you love it, until you're rock-hard and calloused and feel like the biggest ninja badass ever, like Richard Harrison, Michael Dudikoff, and Lee Van Cleef all rolled into one.

Tomm Guycot
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I have photographic proof I beat it without dying, but it's on my phone.

Is there anyone I can text this to who could then transfer it to computer?

fix'd

Anyone?

Sven
02-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I no-continued it over the weekend (6-2 got me twice, but I amazingly got Jacquio in three straight falls).

Funny story: apparently I played the game so obsessively that not only could I beat it back then, but when my babysitter went over to her boyfriend's house SHE damn near beat the game (she got to 5-1, which is pretty freaking good for someone who used to struggle in Mario 2) just out of osmosis.

Ninja Gaiden was only ever knocked off my TV by a frame-by-frame analysis of Burton's Batman. And then, of course, by Batman the game.

Rev. Ragu
02-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I beat Ninja Gaiden, legitimately, for the first time tonight - that is, without the liberal application of savestates. Not only that, but I did it without continuing. I finally got Jaquio's rhythm down and took him out with life and time to spare, and then the Demon was a total pushover. It's not a one life run - I think it would have been possible if I hadn't made a bunch of dumb little mistakes like swan-diving into a pit in 5-2 - but achieving this still makes me feel like some kind of video gaming Golden God. Perhaps unjustifiably, but I think putting up with Ninja Gaiden's abuse is at least something.