PDA

View Full Version : Saw a pre-screen of Transformers last night

MattMc6502
06-29-2007, 07:01 AM
(possible spoilers after the 2nd paragraph, though nothing that would ruin the plot)

My friend Paul got passes for a screening at Loews in Pittsburgh. We arrived around 5:15 for a 7:30 show and were about 4th and 5th in line. There was a surprising mix of older and younger people there - oldest I saw was around 55 and youngest was an infant. Yes, someone took their 8-month old baby.

Only one trailer was shown - "Bad Robot". I'm assuming that's a working title. There was a military recruitment film prior to that. At some point a woman from the local free paper (The City Paper) wanted us to "show a round of applause for a [local car dealership]." Three separate times. We then saw a trailer for a Scion which apparently said dealership is trying to hawk.

---

Random impressions:

Its a Michael Bay film that happens to have Transformers in it.
Jazz's first line is "What's up bitches?". Insane amounts of product placement, mainly for vehicles. No Soundwave. Parts of it felt like a recruitment film for the Army. An Autobot pees on John Turturro. A very "ET"-like moment when an Autobot is being taken away by evil government soldiers. One of Prime's main quotes is from the 1986 movie. A character says that someone is "more than meets the eye". A throwaway line at the end suggest a relationship between two seemingly unrelated Transformers. Tons upon tons of cutesy humor.

My analysis:

The overall problem was that their was too much focus on humans, and too much explanation of who and what the Transformers are. The main Decepticons do not appear until near the end - Megatron for instance does not make an active appearance until the last 1/4 of the movie.

The problem of course is what music labels used to face when releasing a box set. Fans want b-sides, bootlegs, soundtrack appearances, and demos. Non-fans want a comprehensive greatest hits. So the label compromises with half rarities, and the box set becomes a wash.

The writers tried to reach both audiences and had similar results. However I believe if you are completely unaware of who the Transformers are, and you love Michael Bay, you'll like this movie.

mr_bungle700
06-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Its a Michael Bay film that happens to have Transformers in it.

This is exactly what I expect and exactly what I'm afraid of.

nadia
06-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, it's no secret Michael Bay think the Transformers are retarded, so he went ahead and did his own thing with them. I guess the end result is a movie that isn't as awesome as it could be in terms of story / characters, but we have a lot of robots blowing shit up.

I can deal with that. I liked The Rock and Armageddon all right, so I can probably swallow this with a bunch of popcorn too.

Schmidt
06-29-2007, 10:24 AM
"Whaddya say we cut the chit-chat, A-hole?!"

djSyndrome
06-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I understand there is a not-too-thinly veiled reference to masturbation in this film. Confirm/deny?

openedsource
06-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I understand there is a not-too-thinly veiled reference to masturbation in this film. Confirm/deny?

If you mean that the whole affair is Michael Bay stroking his massive... ego, then yeah.

Figure Four
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Jazz's first line is "What's up bitches?"...An Autobot pees on John Turturro.

I smell an oscar.

Sprite
06-29-2007, 12:36 PM
(possible spoilers , though nothing that would ruin the plot)

The overall problem was that their was too much focus on humans, and too much explanation of who and what the Transformers are. The main Decepticons do not appear until near the end - Megatron for instance does not make an active appearance until the last 1/4 of the movie.

Because the last thing people want to see in a movie about robots is a robot.

TheSL
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Because the last thing people want to see in a movie about robots is a robot.

Kind of like how anyone who went to see the Hulk wanted to see gripping human drama rather than rampant HULK SMASH'ing?

MattMc6502
06-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Yes indeed. Select the blank space below for the description.

Shia L's character is trying to hide the 30ft Autobots from his parents. They bust into his room demanding to know what's going on since his door was locked. He said nothing, and of course the mom says "Were you ... ... mmmasturbating?" and the dad protests that this is a discussion he should have with his son.

Of course when it is revealed that he is also hiding a woman in his room, the mom and dad give each other some kind of hive five thing and comment on how hot the woman is right in front of her.

djSyndrome
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes indeed.

Thanks. My nine-year-old really wants to see this, so now I get to figure out if he already knows what the 'M-word' means. Joy.

MattMc6502
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks. My nine-year-old really wants to see this, so now I get to figure out if he already knows what the 'M-word' means. Joy.

Generally I would say its appropriate for a 9 year old. kids-in-mind.com is a good resource for content analysis since Screen-It requires a subscription for new releases.

nadia
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
I was kind of under the impression this is a movie for kids. Most children's films don't have references to whacking off, let alone the "M" word itself.

Kishi
06-29-2007, 02:32 PM
The writers tried to reach both audiences

Those being nine-year-olds and thirty-five-year-olds.

Savathun
06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm dissapointed that Megatron won't be in it much, since that was the big thing for me. But I'll probably still enjoy it. If I'm not mistaken, in one of the recent TV spots, there's a clip of Megatron (I *think*) walking down from the top of a building like it's a flight of stairs. It was just too cool.

thomp538
06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm concerned that these guys wrote the next Star Trek movie

Calorie Mate
06-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm dissapointed that Megatron won't be in it much, since that was the big thing for me. But I'll probably still enjoy it. If I'm not mistaken, in one of the recent TV spots, there's a clip of Megatron (I *think*) walking down from the top of a building like it's a flight of stairs. It was just too cool.

Agreed on all counts.

SlimJimm
06-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Without a rockin power ballad like Stan Bush's "The Touch" this movie was doomed to failure.

Peach
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I generally base my movie-watching decisions on critic's opinion, mainly because most of my friends have questionable taste. With that in mind, this looks really promising. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/)

Red Hedgehog
07-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I'd wait until the day before the movie is released. Critics who get to see it early are generally ones the studio thinks will have a positive opinion of it.

nadia
07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Verdict: It's Big, It's Loud and it's a lot of Fun.

sraymonds
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just post in this one. But I just came back from a showing of Transformers, and all I got to say is YES. The action was great and it was pretty funny at times. It wasn't perfect, and I could have used a bit more of the robots, but it's a good first step. I would gladly pay to watch it in theaters again.

EDIT: I guess I should post here, since Nadia beat me to it.

Excitemike
07-02-2007, 10:20 PM
The toys for this movie do not look as good as the robots in the movie. I demand an awesome Bumblebee.

Eusis
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
So that $80 music playing Bumblebee doesn't cut it?

sraymonds
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
The toys for this movie do not look as good as the robots in the movie. I demand an awesome Bumblebee.

How much are you willing to pay? A lot (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HT82418#LargeImage) or a little? (http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=799)

Eusis
07-02-2007, 10:27 PM
That answered my question then! Except I was wrong about the price. Ouch.

Mightyblue
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Rather have this (http://mugentoys.stores.yahoo.net/53525500053.html). And I'm aware of how much that costs. But STILL.

Excitemike
07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I am capable of dropping a buck twenty on a Transfomer, but not before somebody explains to my satisfaction why it plays Devo's "Whip It".

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with the ten dollar version? I know enough of TF's that the packaging can be deceiving sometimes.

Rather have this (http://mugentoys.stores.yahoo.net/53525500053.html). And I'm aware of how much that costs. But STILL.
Fragile Yamato valks are fragile.

Jakanden
07-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Saw it yesterday and loved it. The last section of the movie with the all out combat between the Autobots and Decepticons was flat out mind-blowing.

On a related note: did you guys get to see the trailer for JJ Abrams new flick Cloverfield (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=21627)? I thought it looked amazing and the hand-cam style really interests me.

nadia
07-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Cloverfield has my attention. I'm used to movie trailers being subtle and sly about what they're previewing, like that infamous glass of water for Jurassic Park. But in this case, the trailer introduces the viewer to the characters and the nature of the disaster ... but not a whole bunch else.

Jakanden
07-03-2007, 07:24 AM
It didn't even tell the title of the film on the trailer. I was like "what the hell is this" and I had to look online to find out about it when I got home.

Savathun
07-03-2007, 07:58 AM
I really want to go see this movie today, but my dad's coming into town on Thursday and I promised I'd go see it with him, so I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to see twice in theaters. Sounds like it might be worth it, though. Heck, I sat through the Sixth Sense twice when it was in theaters, and within a two day period, so I can pretty much do it with any movie.

As for Cloverfield... Man, I don't even trust JJ Abrams anymore. He can make a great premise, but he just phones in the ending.

mr_bungle700
07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Then you'll be happy to hear that he's not directing, just producing and...stuff. He's busy working on the next Star Trek film, apparently.

nadia
07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
It didn't even tell the title of the film on the trailer. I was like "what the hell is this" and I had to look online to find out about it when I got home.

Yeah, thanks for that! I thought maybe they HAD shown the title and I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

I'm not much of a movie whore, so what else has this JJ Abrams directed that was not so cool?

Savathun
07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I think he did Mission Impossible 3 and I don't know if he could have possibled handled the big face-off at the end any worse.

*SPOILER if you haven't seen MI3... eh...*

I mean, granted, you can't show a guy getting his head taken off by a car in too much detail, but... um.. something? This guy was blowing up peoples' brains, mans. And then, oh, here comes a car and now his shoe is spinning, that's cute. Maybe the script was just that bad on that part, too, I don't know.

And then there's Lost, which... agh. Not a movie, but man that show started off interesting and really went downhill. It's like he starts things, then he gets bored and rushes off to start something else.

Calorie Mate
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Lost went downhill in Season 2 because Abrams was off directing M:I3. He came back towards the end of Season 2, kicked everyone's ass back into gear, and the tail-end of Season 2 was much better. Season 3 was even better than Season 1. I was close to bailing, but damn I'm glad I stuck around.

I'll be seeing Transformers tonight.

ringworm
07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
The second half of Season 3 of Lost was fantastic, and is finally back on course but I don't know how much of that I'd credit to Abrams. In fact, I think I'd give a lot of credit to the fact that all of the Executive Producers finally were able to set a definitive end date for the series. I think the writers were buying time until they knew when ABC would let them end it and they could plot out the rest of the arc.

Abrams also made the Felicity and Alias. I only caught an episode now and then of Felicity because my then-girlfriend was a fan, but I found it to be mostly awful with a dreadful ending. Alias started off OK, but again, petered out the longer it went on and had an awful ending.

Abrams is mostly competent though, he just needs a solid scriptwriter/editor partner to clean up his work.

Calorie Mate
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh, I 100% attirbute the second half of Season 3 to them firming up an end date. I just meant to suggest that the show's lowest point hit almost immediately after Abrams left.

...damn, that season finale was good.

Red Hedgehog
07-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I guess I really will have to check out the second two thirds of season 3 of Lost because enough people have said it gets better. After the first seven or so episodes of season 3 (up until the really long break), there were only two that I would consider good and that just wasn't enough for me to keep up with the show given that I had no faith the writers knew what they were doing and knowing J.J. Abrams' history:

Felicity - Amazing first season, decent second season, poor from season three on (and possibly worst series ending ever).

Alias - Amazing first season, decent second season, poor from season three on.

If Lost has broken that trend, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Back on topic: As predicted, the rottentomatoes score of Transformers has gone down. But not as much as I feared it would. It is hovering around 60, and the general consensus seems to be that it is a decent popcorn flick. I will be seeing it tonight.

thomp538
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I guess I really will have to check out the second two thirds of season 3 of Lost because enough people have said it gets better. After the first seven or so episodes of season 3 (up until the really long break), there were only two that I would consider good and that just wasn't enough for me to keep up with the show given that I had no faith the writers knew what they were doing and knowing J.J. Abrams' history:

Felicity - Amazing first season, decent second season, poor from season three on (and possibly worst series ending ever).

Alias - Amazing first season, decent second season, poor from season three on.

If Lost has broken that trend, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Back on topic: As predicted, the rottentomatoes score of Transformers has gone down. But not as much as I feared it would. It is hovering around 60, and the general consensus seems to be that it is a decent popcorn flick. I will be seeing it tonight.
It gets better, but there was too much filler. They really could have condensed the season into 12 episodes

ScrambledGregs
07-03-2007, 07:20 PM
I decided to simulate my own version of what I think a live action version of Transformers directed by Micheal Bay will be like. Here's what I did:

--put in the Transformers movie, the cartoon one with the random Weird Al song and what's-his-face saying "shit"

--pretend that Barrett from FFVII is in it, in all his jive talking glory

--set off fire crackers every five minutes

--finally, punch myself in the balls until I pass out

sraymonds
07-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Hope you have fun.

Calorie Mate
07-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Ok, saw it tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised. Was it a "great film"? No, of course not. Did I have a ton of fun during it? You betcha.

And while Megatron's scarcity was annoying because I love him, I think the way/reason he wasn't in it until the end was actually pretty cool. Save the big guns for the finale and all that.

Could have used more Starscream, though.

Red Hedgehog
07-04-2007, 01:51 AM
the general consensus seems to be that it is a decent popcorn flick. I will be seeing it tonight.

And the general consensus was correct.

I don't think I could actually call this movie "good". It was corny, cheesy, preposterous, full of bad dialogue (the one-liners!) and overdone action sequences. It was also entertaining and I am not upset I spent eight bucks to see it even if I never need to see it again. It didn't try to hard to explain things others than "two sets of robots fighting each other." It didn't try too hard to overcome its corniness and just went with it where it took it. Basically, the movie didn't try too hard and came off better because of it. For an example of a movie that did try too hard and failed, see Spiderman 3.

Jeanie
07-04-2007, 08:05 AM

I don't think I could actually call this movie "good". It was corny, cheesy, preposterous, full of bad dialogue (the one-liners!) and overdone action sequences. It was also entertaining and I am not upset I spent eight bucks to see it even if I never need to see it again. It didn't try to hard to explain things others than "two sets of robots fighting each other." It didn't try too hard to overcome its corniness and just went with it where it took it. Basically, the movie didn't try too hard and came off better because of it. For an example of a movie that did try too hard and failed, see Spiderman 3.

I saw it too, and this pretty much is what I was thinking. That and More Robots, Less People. Could have trimed maybe 20-30 min from the overly long runtime.

Also my favorite part was the trailer for The Simpson's Movie. "Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig can. Look out here comes the Spider-pigggg." That alone sold me on the movie.

Tomm Guycot
07-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I think everyone who was speculating about how bad this would be, or people who are disappointed by it need to take a few really big steps back and focus on something: this is a movie about cartoon robots who can change into cars and stuff.

If this movie WASN'T a popcorn movie, it would have been lying to itself.

Transformers was FANTASTIC. It was a ride I didn't want to get off. Only two complaints:

1) Michael Bay's trademark clumsy political commentary. Seriously dude--leave this to the smart people.

2) This could be a spoiler, so look away: theyimpliedweweregoingtogettheepicprime/megatronbattleonhooverdamnbutthenwedidn'tgetthatan ditmademesad.

Everyone who complained about how Megatron looked--you mean like GALVATRON? Seriously people. Why are we nerds so eager to hate something we haven't seen yet? Holy crap.

Loved it. Would go again.

Torgo
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Just got back from it. As much as I might start sounding like a broken record, pretty much what Tomm said. Incredible film, and I'm kinda hoping my brother hasn't seen it yet when I see him this weekend so I can see it again.

Sarcasmorator
07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Echo: Pretty awesome action movie. Thought the ending petered out a bit and that they could have done without the Aussie hacker's friend. But plenty of good stuff all around.

The Cloverfield trailer totally had me thinking "At last, a movie starring Lavos!"

Calorie Mate
07-04-2007, 07:16 PM
The Cloverfield trailer totally had me thinking "At last, a movie starring Lavos!"

Aw man, screw you. I seriously came here just to say that.

Sarcasmorator
07-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Thou art too slow! (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF216-Thwack_Ye_Mole.jpg#201)

Oh, hey, did anyone else think it was weird how at the end Sam and Mikaela were making out on top of Bumblebee while the rest of the Autobots watched? Because I thought that was kind of weird.

Eusis
07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
So THAT'S what the movie was, Cloverfield. The trailer made me curious but I didn't see a name.

Watched it, had fun. Some of it was just stupid, I won't argue with that, but it was entertaining stupidity. Would've liked a better look at the Xbot though.

Mightyblue
07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, they could have eliminated the whole house scene after the Autobots appear. Awkward and really not funny at all. Having less of the 'rents around in general would have made the movie dozens of times better.

Still, excellent popcorn movie with lots of explosions and asskicking.

Jeanie
07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
[Oh, hey, did anyone else think it was weird how at the end Sam and Mikaela were making out on top of Bumblebee while the rest of the Autobots watched? Because I thought that was kind of weird.

Oh good I'm not the only who thought so....

Yeah, they could have eliminated the whole house scene after the Autobots appear. Awkward and really not funny at all. Having less of the 'rents around in general would have made the movie dozens of times better.

I still think about 30 mins less and it would have been perfect length. That scene could safely be cut down.

Also when the XBox 360 turned into a bot, was only the only who thought "brings a new meaning to Red Ring of Death".

Tomm Guycot
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Everyone see this so I can start speculating about the sequel.

Savathun
07-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm gonna have to wait till Friday, sadly. On the plus side, I get to go see Spamalot tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be good, but I'm not entirely sure.

shivam
07-04-2007, 11:58 PM
i saw this today. it was amazingly wonderful, and exactly what i could have hoped for in a reimagining of transformers, if it were to happen today. it never once felt cheesy or contrived, and treated the source material with amazing respect.

the only thing i didnt like was the bot design, because all the metal ribbons got really distracting, and the non brightly colored ones looked all the same. otherwise, kudos, michael bay. i dont know how you did it, but you managed to take an old much loved property and remake it without wrecking it.

Tomm Guycot
07-05-2007, 12:09 AM
i dont know how you did it, but you managed to take an old much loved property and remake it without wrecking it.

And seriously--what's the deal with people bitching about Jazz? How did you EXPECT him to sound in 2007?

poetfox
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
On the plus side, I get to go see Spamalot tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be good, but I'm not entirely sure.
Based purely on the soundtrack, it has some good original songs and steals most of you Monty Python favorites and fiddles with them a little. I'd gladly see it.

Guy
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM

I mostly agree with you, but I don't this this movie really succeeds at all beyond a brief distraction. Spider-man 3 did a way better job than this. I'll probably get Spider-man 3 on DVD when it comes out, but I don't think I could ever sit through Transformers again.

I'll say this: Shia Lebouf did a pretty great job considering his whole job was to almost die and say funny things.

shivam
07-05-2007, 12:30 AM
spiderman 3 was sweat in a fat man's ass crack compared to transformers.

i'd watch this movie again in theatres, AND buy the dvd. Spiderman 3, i wouldnt even rent.

Guy
07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Man, this is a movie about robots that manages to have two pee jokes and a whacking-off joke.

philliam
07-05-2007, 12:36 AM
i thought this movie sucked

Sarcasmorator
07-05-2007, 12:37 AM
I'll say this: Shia Lebouf did a pretty great job considering his whole job was to almost die and say funny things.

That's almost all he ever does in any movie I've seen him in. Only sometimes he actually does die. I liked him in this one, though — his character was actually likable even though he was playing Snot-Nosed Loner Kid.

Side note: I call him Shia the Beef. Because that's what "LaBeouf" means.

Savathun
07-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Based purely on the soundtrack, it has some good original songs and steals most of you Monty Python favorites and fiddles with them a little. I'd gladly see it.

I hope so. I have to drive three hours to see it, but eh. Dallas has good theaters so I'll see Transformers there. I'm just concerned that I won't be able to hear/understand what they're saying in Spamalot due to the accents.

Red Hedgehog
07-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm gonna have to wait till Friday, sadly. On the plus side, I get to go see Spamalot tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be good, but I'm not entirely sure.

Ooh, I can't wait until that comes to Salt Lake.

As for the whole Transformers vs. Spiderman 3 discussion, my basic feeling is that Transformers was a pretty good action movie but nothing special beyond that. Spiderman 3 tried to be too many things (including be a good action movie), did a few of them well, but failed more than it succeeded. So Transformers came off as seeming above average and Spiderman 3 as below average. If I were a movie reviewer doing the 1-5 star scale, Spiderman 3 would be a 2.5 while Transformers would get a 3.5.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 07:42 AM

It's good. You're not sitting near the front by any chance, are you?

And seriously--what's the deal with people bitching about Jazz? How did you EXPECT him to sound in 2007?

Like Scatman Corothers? When I heard Bernie Mac was in this movie, I just assumed he was Jazz. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was disapointed, but the fans need something to bitch about considering how awesome tho movie actually was.

the only thing i didnt like was the bot design, because all the metal ribbons got really distracting, and the non brightly colored ones looked all the same.

The intricate design and the shakey camera style work against each other, but after seeing it twice it made a lot more sense. This can't come to DVD soon enough.

Jakanden
07-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Like Scatman Corothers? When I heard Bernie Mac was in this movie, I just assumed he was Jazz. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was disapointed, but the fans need something to bitch about considering how awesome tho movie actually was.

People are looking for anything to bitch about they can because it's Michael Bay and it is not the exact same as it was in their childhood.

It is a good movie and the internets need to get off their high horse about it.

ProfessorS
07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Even for a movie about robots that turn into cars, it was stupid. I'm a couple years too old to have enjoyed Transformers(I'm 22) soI have absolutely 0 nostalgic bias towards the movie though.

Mightyblue
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
You're never too old to enjoy explosions and watching giant robots kick the crap out of each other.

It's not an age thing, it's an interests thing. Different people like different things.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 09:55 AM
My future mother-in-law completely loved it. She wants a Bumblebee.

Jakanden
07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Even for a movie about robots that turn into cars, it was stupid. I'm a couple years too old to have enjoyed Transformers(I'm 22) soI have absolutely 0 nostalgic bias towards the movie though.

Wouldn't that be a couple of years too young to have enjoyed? I am almost 28 and I grew up with them so, at 22, you are not too old.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't that be a couple of years too young to have enjoyed? I am almost 28 and I grew up with them so, at 22, you are not too old.

I think there were only one or two years since their debut where there were no TF's being produced for the U.S. There's no reason why anyone born in the last, let's say 30-35 years or so, couldn't have nostalgia for them

Jakanden
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
That is true. I didn't actually watch anything past the original G2 such as Beast Wars, or Armada, so I don't know much about it.

shivam
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
beast wars is a fantastic fantastic program.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 11:03 AM
“Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence.”

Not too many toy commercials quote Hamlet.

Zef
07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
That's because not too many toy commercials have the concentrated awesome that is Dinobot.

nadia
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Man, this is a movie about robots that manages to have two pee jokes and a whacking-off joke.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed too.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm 22, and I watched the original show. I loved Transformers, and as Shivam said, they treated it with respect, so I don't see how anyone can complain. At the risk of getting crucified, I think this is...well, easier to watch than Transformers: The Movie is nowadays.

This reminds me...I'd love to see a live action G. I. Joe movie done like this, but I honestly don't think there's a director alive that could make a movie about the Joes I love, instead of getting lured into political commentary. Things were simple when I was a kid: elite government dudes fighting elite terrorist group. I just don't think it'll be that simple nowadays, sadly.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
SIDE NOTE: I'm not sure how many other people have dabbled in hardcore music here, but has anyone ever heard the band Shockwave? Transformercore FTW.

nadia
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I was trying to think about which Transformers movie is superior, but I couldn't do it. They're both just too different.

I will say the old movie has the better soundtrack.

Sarcasmorator
07-05-2007, 02:35 PM
And better voice acting in parts. Peter Cullen was great, but I don't know why they bothered to hire Hugo Weaving for Megatron — it's not like you can tell after it's been run through their voice sludge-thesizer.

Kishi
07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
My only real complaint is the same one that everyone else has: There was entirely too much focus on humans and too little on the Transformers themselves. And holy Christ did Prime have an ugly mouth.

Still, I feel it did justice to the cartoon in many ways, so I enjoyed it. Now I'm eagerly anticipating the sequel where Starscream returns.

shivam
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
And better voice acting in parts. Peter Cullen was great, but I don't know why they bothered to hire Hugo Weaving for Megatron — it's not like you can tell after it's been run through their voice sludge-thesizer.

weavingtron was way the hell better than the original whiny ass cartoon voice....
that said, there was definite Agent Smithery in his voice, especially during the disgusting humans lines =)

Sarcasmorator
07-05-2007, 02:43 PM
weavingtron was way the hell better than the original whiny ass cartoon voice....

Could you be thinking of Starscream? Because I don't remember Megatron being all that whiny. All the Decepticons sounded sort of the same in the movie, I thought.

Torgo
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
So that was Peter Cullen's voice. I didn't keep up on the film during production, so I wasn't entirely sure.

Zef
07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry, but after Beast Wars, every incarnation of Megatron MUST have Soun Tendo's voice (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0443286/). Yeeesssss, it must.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Everyone see this so I can start speculating about the sequel.

In case you hadn't heard, I'll quote Wikipedia:

"On May 30, 2007, Dreamworks greenlit two sequels to Transformers,[101] and Shia LaBeouf,[102] Megan Fox[103] and Peter Cullen[39] signed on to return. Producer Tom DeSanto has envisioned a storyline introducing the Dinobots, the Constructicons, and Soundwave.[15] Writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman may not return, as "Star Trek... is taking up kind of all of our time."[26] Michael Bay has not signed on, "trying to keep some leverage for the negotiations",[39] but already has ideas, including an aircraft carrier character."

Mightyblue
07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I honestly need to pick up the box sets for Beast Wars. That was probably the single best cartoon I ever saw during my childhood. I'd give up watching DBZ to watch this, and that's saying something back when you're a 14-5 year old testosterone driven nerd.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
that said, there was definite Agent Smithery in his voice, especially during the disgusting humans lines =)

Really? I thought, with all the voice filters, he pretty sounded like the original Megatron. Again, it was Starscream that was whiny in the original...Megatron always sounded angry.

By the way, my personal favorite reference to the show was the fact that, roughly 5 seconds after being unfrozen, Megatron proceeds to tell Starscream how big of a failure he is. Oh man, it brought back memories. I ate it up.

shivam
07-05-2007, 03:28 PM
i went back and rewatched an old ep of transformers, and man, the deceptecons had super assy voices.

Tomm Guycot
07-05-2007, 06:01 PM
...I see one major problem to the Constructicons being in the sequel >_>

Jakanden
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM

What? This is the number one request amongst my friends and I for the sequel. That or any of the combines like Superion or Defensor.

Mightyblue
07-05-2007, 06:47 PM

What? This is the number one request amongst my friends and I for the sequel. That or any of the combines like Superion or Defensor.Well, considering one of them's already been destroyed...

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I believe he means because Devastator (y'know, the guy they turn into?) was killed in this movie.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and one of those other Decepticons (Bonecrusher) used one of the Constructicons' names, too.

I'd love to see the Combaticons turn into Bruticus go apeshit.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
i went back and rewatched an old ep of transformers, and man, the deceptecons had super assy voices.

Decepticons > Autobots.

shivam
07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
calories, you're wrong.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Was it Bumblebee, Jazz, or Ironhide's voice that convinced you? It was Ironhide, wasn't it? ADMIT IT!

...I think I win.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Uh, double post. Sorry.

djSyndrome
07-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Shockwave > Soundwave

Jakanden
07-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, considering one of them's already been destroyed...

They can always change who the team consists of and what they form into. It doesn't have to be named Devastator.

MattMc6502
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Since seeing the pre-screen last Thursday I've been telling whoever is interested what my take on the movie was - i.e. "too many humans, some humor falls flat, overall a decent but forgettable summer blockbuster".

Can someone explain to me why, after such a non-critical and non-snarky review, that people have to defend this movie, like if I had said to them that their grandmother is an old stinky whore who should be beat to death? I've noticed it on this thread too a little, but not directed towards me obviously, just in general.

Savathun
07-05-2007, 11:05 PM
It's good. You're not sitting near the front by any chance, are you?

Yes, but... C 102. Seriously. THIS close.

Tomm Guycot
07-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Can someone explain to me why, after such a non-critical and non-snarky review, that people have to defend this movie, like if I had said to them that their grandmother is an old stinky whore who should be beat to death? I've noticed it on this thread too a little, but not directed towards me obviously, just in general.

I'm not so much defending it as pointing out that I loved every minute of it.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Same here. I would defend it from the review you gave it, because I flat-out disagree with it.

shivam
07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Since seeing the pre-screen last Thursday I've been telling whoever is interested what my take on the movie was - i.e. "too many humans, some humor falls flat, overall a decent but forgettable summer blockbuster".

i'm not defending the movie. i just really really liked it. it did everything i wanted it to do without insulting me or really tromping on my nostalgia. the only real negative i can think of is that they didnt have the old theme song as an end clip.

i can't even recall seeing any michael bay movies before, so i have no frame of reference there.

Red Hedgehog
07-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Passion for something will tend to inspire such response.

I, uh, completely agreed with your take.

Jakanden
07-06-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm not so much defending it as pointing out that I loved every minute of it.

My thoughts exactly. I am not a fanboy and I simply thought it was a fun movie that I enjoyed the entire way through (both times).

nadia
07-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm not a very big Transformers fan. I just thought the movie was fun.

I also thought it was genuinely funny, barring some of the Transformers' head-scratching one-liners. Except for Ratchet's "he wants to mate with the female" line, that one was good.

Zef
07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
i can't even recall seeing any michael bay movies before, so i have no frame of reference there.
Like I said to a friend, Michael Bay (and Bruckheimer) made The Rock. He can make a thousand Bad Boys and a million Armageddons, The Rock automatically earns him the benefit of the doubt.

ScrambledGregs
07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow, somebody actually liked The Rock. Or do you like it in the same way you like Transformers, as a fun, mindless action flick??

My problem with the Transformers movie is that it didn't have to be a fun, mindless action flick. Beast Wars is a pretty good example of a show aimed at kids but still had some depth and intelligence to it, so I have to wonder why they took a live action Transformers in such a direction.

But I forget that I'm not like the rest of the world, and the movie probably isn't "for" me.

Sarcasmorator
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Beast Wars is a pretty good example of a show aimed at kids but still had some depth and intelligence to it, so I have to wonder why they took a live action Transformers in such a direction.

1) Michael Bay.

2) Because a more cerebral approach probably wouldn't have played well with the audience at large. You spend $150 million on a movie, you want it to make that money back.

Honestly, I think we have Steven Spielberg to thank that the movie slowed down to develop its characters at all.

nadia
07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
1) Michael Bay.

2) Because a more cerebral approach probably wouldn't have played well with the audience at large. You spend $150 million on a movie, you want it to make that money back.

Agreed. Michael Bay himself admitted that he didn't see the Transformers as anything but tools for a giant robot slug-fest. And, to be honest, I don't think Joe Movie is interested in character development for said giant robots. My brother doesn't know Optimus Prime from Megatron, and he wouldn't have been very interested in the movie if the previews had featured clips of the Autobots solemnly discussing stuff. A lot of non-fans are depending on Transformers for their summer popcorn fix.

I loved Beast Wars too, but that was a multi-season series that took a while (like any story) to develop its characters and plot.

Tomm Guycot
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
1) Everyone loves The Rock. Seriously, who doesn't? (not being a fanboy--I have never seen it, just heard things).

2) The reason it got turned into an action flick is...because it's about cartoon robots turning into cars and stuff. It couldn't have been anything else.

Squall
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Michael Bay himself admitted that he didn't see the Transformers as anything but tools for a giant robot slug-fest.

This is what we call 'brilliance.' Okay, maybe not with Michael Bay, but still, nobody except the super annoying hardcore fans that nobody likes would want the movie this way. Man I loved this movie, best summer action flick since The Matrix.

shivam
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
1)
2) The reason it got turned into an action flick is...because it's about cartoon robots turning into cars and stuff. It couldn't have been anything else.

oh, man. there's an opening for a postmodernist reinterpretation if i ever saw one.

Calorie Mate
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
the only real negative i can think of is that they didnt have the old theme song as an end clip.

I was really hoping they'd fit the bumper music in there somewhere.

shivam
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
seriously. i kept waiting for it too. or at least the transform music.

Calorie Mate
07-06-2007, 01:36 PM
"transform music"?

shivam
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
well, that little electronic sound effect that played when the bots changed forms.

Mightyblue
07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Uh, I heard the transformation sfx several times throughout the movie. Don't know what you guys are talking about.

shivam
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
the bumper calories is talking about is the thing that goes into the commercial break in the cartoon, the more than meets the eyeSSSSSSSSSS part.

the sfx i heard too, but i wanted it to be more prominent and deliberate.

Makkara
07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
1) Everyone loves The Rock. Seriously, who doesn't? (not being a fanboy--I have never seen it, just heard things).

I don't know, I thought it was kind of a steamer. It's been a few years since I saw it, though, so I don't remember it that clearly. The only things that stuck with me were how unconvincingly the characters acted, and some ridiculous scene where they're crawling through some sort of machine, or something. I think there was fire too.

djSyndrome
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
And now we know what really happened to Soundwave (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9TYzRanykbQ).

nadia
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
And now we know what really happened to Soundwave.

I thought he recieved Employee of the Month (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYDfWmXL2R0) and retired after 25 happy years of service.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Uh, I heard the transformation sfx several times throughout the movie. Don't know what you guys are talking about.

I heard transformation sounds, but not THE transformation sound. Only seen that on trailers.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Jakanden
07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I heard it a couple of times as well. Some of them were slowed down though.

rootdown
07-06-2007, 07:01 PM
did you guys see that video of soundwave breakdancing (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iCYLEO9sIVQ)? it was awesome.

Jakanden
07-06-2007, 07:12 PM
did you guys see that video of soundwave breakdancing (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iCYLEO9sIVQ)? it was awesome.

I had actually thought about posting that but I was far too lazy and I figured someone else would. It is still awesome to this day for sure.

Guy
07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fYDfWmXL2R0

As long as we're posting Soundwave stuff.

sraymonds
07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, but... C 102. Seriously. THIS close.

Do they occasionally change those numbers? The Spamalot show I went to was D101, but I've seen a clip on youtube that had A101.

The show is fantastic, by the way.

Tomm Guycot
07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah guys, they played "the transformation sound" at least three times.

Sarcasmorator
07-07-2007, 12:34 AM
In fact, it was in the first transformation of the movie.

Squall
07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
So who was the little robot that turned into a cd player or whatever?

Kishi
07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
He was originally intended to be Soundwave, but since the guys working on the movie didn't want to defy conservation of mass like the cartoon did, his humanoid design became decidedly unlike Soundwave. Instead, they decided he was Frenzy, a Decepticon that transformed into a cassette tape and was often at Soundwave's side.

Actually, quite a few of the Decepticons underwent name changes like that. Devastator was supposed to be Brawl, for example.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-07-2007, 01:12 AM
They changed the sound a bit if they used it. I'll need to watch again, but I'm pretty sure THE sound as we know it wasn't used in pure form.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

shivam
07-07-2007, 01:16 AM
i KNEW i wasn't crazy. it was close, but it wasnt it.

Tomm Guycot
07-07-2007, 01:27 AM
They changed the sound a bit if they used it. I'll need to watch again, but I'm pretty sure THE sound as we know it wasn't used in pure form.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Why would they cut a 20 year old sound off poorly restored footage and use that?

Of course it was new--but it was still the same sound.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
It was mixed with a more realistic machinery-esque sound. I thought it worked well for the movie; fans could still hear the classic transformation sound, but it didn't sound completely fake. Think of it as a more technically complicated version, to match the new designs.

And while I'm on the subject of bumpers, they should have accompanied each major scene change with the Autobot/Decepticon symbol flipping in space while that music played.

Eusis
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Actually, quite a few of the Decepticons underwent name changes like that. Devastator was supposed to be Brawl, for example.

And still is thanks to Hasbro, thus making both names official.

By the way, am I insane or does Frenzy look vaguely like an evil robo-mudkip? I only saw his head for the longest time admittedly, with that fin/mohawk think on top.

Tomm Guycot
07-07-2007, 01:34 AM
And while I'm on the subject of bumpers, they should have accompanied each major scene change with the Autobot/Decepticon symbol flipping in space while that music played.

I was discussing this with WayForward earlier today. For the human scenes, it could be Shia LeBeouf's head.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:37 AM
I was discussing this with WayForward earlier today. For the human scenes, it could be Shia LeBeouf's head.

I can support that.

Savathun
07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Do they occasionally change those numbers? The Spamalot show I went to was D101, but I've seen a clip on youtube that had A101.

The show is fantastic, by the way.

Yeah, it was D101 here. Right in front of it. :(

ozacrot
07-07-2007, 02:06 AM
You know, I've gone back and forth on whether or not I want to see this movie, but when I found out that Jazz is voiced by Darius "Eddie Winslow" McCrary, the decision was made for me.

One of the curses of growing up with the advent of TGIF is having an uncontrollable personal investment in the careers of its stars. When I see Bronson Pinchot in a movie, I don't want to care about him, but all I see is Balki.

Jakanden
07-07-2007, 07:13 AM
He was originally intended to be Soundwave, but since the guys working on the movie didn't want to defy conservation of mass like the cartoon did, his humanoid design became decidedly unlike Soundwave. Instead, they decided he was Frenzy, a Decepticon that transformed into a cassette tape and was often at Soundwave's side.

That was one reason I said they can still do the Constructicons. They already defied the naming conventions, so they can simply make "Devastator" be composed of someone other than Bonecrusher and name him something else.

Also, I think Frenzy was my favorite Transformer in the film. He was decidedly Gremlin-like and I just loved every scene with him.

ecchi squirrel
07-07-2007, 09:01 AM
(spoilers, obviously)

I'm kind of pissed about what happened to Jazz. As a kid, he was always my favorite, and part of my childhood died along with him. I guess it's still hard for the token black guy to live until the end of the movie.

err, uh, or rather, a robot with the personality of stereotypical token black guy.

But overall, I thought it was a good movie. The ending fight was pretty anti-climactic, however. It would've been better if they started playing that "you got the touch, you got the power" song from the 1987 Transformers movie when Spike held up the cube-thingie to Megatron's chest.

sraymonds
07-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I agree with you on the Jazz thing. Did he do anything of note in the movie? Maybe Springer will replace him in the next one.

I would have died if The Touch started playing. Death by TOTALLY AWESOME.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
All the Autobots aside from Prime kinda sucked. Jazz was lucky enough to be present when Megatron did something hella cool.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-07-2007, 01:54 PM
You know, I've gone back and forth on whether or not I want to see this movie, but when I found out that Jazz is voiced by Darius "Eddie Winslow" McCrary, the decision was made for me.

One of the curses of growing up with the advent of TGIF is having an uncontrollable personal investment in the careers of its stars. When I see Bronson Pinchot in a movie, I don't want to care about him, but all I see is Balki.

The tomboy on Step by Step was hot. She done anything good?

(spoilers, obviously)

I'm kind of pissed about what happened to Jazz. As a kid, he was always my favorite, and part of my childhood died along with him. I guess it's still hard for the token black guy to live until the end of the movie.

err, uh, or rather, a robot with the personality of stereotypical token black guy.

When interviewed, they said they didn't want OP or BB to die, so they went with the next one in line they figured people would be attached to.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Savathun
07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, I just saw the movie and I'm really surprised at how dissapointed I am. I don't go into movies with huge expectations very often and I didn't this time, either. I'm not a huge, hardcore fan but I like the Transformers. But this just bored me. All the robots were interchangeable in every way and I couldn't have cared less if one or all of them lived or died.

Then there's the action scenes which, for all I know, might have been awesome. Hard to tell with the "Hip" and "Exciting" camera jerks and cuts. It was completely radical to the max, fo'shizzle, etc. Nobody comes to a giant robot fight movie to actually see the giant robots fight. They like getting dizzy and not knowing what's happening. That was pretty sweet. You know it's a great action movie when you can close your eyes through the whole thing and probably have a better idea of what happened than if you had them open.

Plus the ending was a complete anti-climax. It's definitely not a movie I need to ever see again. I sort of regret wasting the time and money to see it once.

Kishi
07-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Brandon being sad makes me sad.

Savathun
07-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm not sad, there's just... there's something in my eye.

ScrambledGregs
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I never said this shouldn't have been an action movie, but there's a better way to fill the time between hot robot action OTHER THAN having the kid from Even Stevens getting into situations that have masturbation jokes. And I like Shia LeBouf.

I'm not a hardcore fan in any way, shape, or form. I still have my Transformers, but I haven't watched either the original movie or any episodes in at least a decade. It's just that after films like Spiderman and X-Men managed to take equally ridiculous, child-like franchises and make interesting, intelligent action popcorn flicks out of them, Transformers is a big step down.

But yeah, the movie is not for me. If it was, it wouldn't make money.

Savathun
07-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe part of my problem is that I'm more of a Beast Wars fan. I like that Optimus and that Megatron. But I still expected to enjoy the movie at least a little.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Brandon being sad makes me sad.

Brandon being wrong makes me sad.

Jakanden
07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Brandon being wrong makes me sad.

Brandon being wrong makes me....well, nothing really.

sraymonds
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I guess that means we have to kill Brandon now. He's no longer worthy of ushering us into a new age of enlightenment and transmorphing..

Excitemike
07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm cool with Brandon not liking it. I know lots of people who loved "The Rock", but I just don' get it. Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

(srsly, though, strike one, dude)

Savathun
07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
The thing I kept thinking during the movie at any given time was "Oh, now it's going to get good." But then it didn't.

Then Optimus shows up, so now it's gonna get good. But it didn't. Oh, there's Megatron, so surely NOW. But, no. I was actually watching the scenes during the credits expecting something neat to happen, but... ah.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Wait, I've got it! You're just trying to be funny again, aren't you?

Savathun
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't know. Everyone in the theater clapped in the end, so I guess it was well liked, I just can't figure out what about it was likable, really. I know enough about the Transformers, but watching this movie, it felt like there was really no difference between the Autobots and the Decepticons. They could tear each others' heads off and I really wouldn't have cared less.

I felt the same way about 300. Lots of people liked it, but I just didn't care, ultimately. Nothing about it stood out, aside from the visuals. But Transformers doesn't even really have THAT. Why work to make these huge robots if you're just going to stick them in shaky shots where you can never get a good look at them or take in what's going on? I was just hugely let down.

Squall
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
But the transformers had puns and obvious panning to the target crowd! How could you not love it!

Tomm Guycot
07-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Brandon--name some movies that you DO really like.

We'll figure this out yet.

Savathun
07-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Brandon--name some movies that you DO really like.

We'll figure this out yet.

That's what's weird. I generally can like any movie, at least the first time I see it. I may not have any intentions of watching it again, but I enjoyed it the first time. But not with Transformers.

It felt like I was a little kid staying home from school with a fever and a stomach bug and the only thing on TV was a Transformers rerun. That's what the movie felt like and it wasn't at all pleasant.

But really the thing that just ruined the movie for me completely were the incomprehensible action scenes. Why even spend the money animating those robots if they just end up looking like goofy blurs anyway?

It's like they ran around swinging cameras at random and said "Oh, we'll just shove robots in there later. Don't worry about that now. Weeee, I'm an airplane!"

I can't stand when they shoot action scenes like that. Chronicles of Riddick was even worse in that regard. You might as well just hold up a little notecard that says "A fight takes place here. Good guys win." Same effect for me.

And the big final battle, most of what we see is Shia in a hole, which, I guess, hey, now we know what he's up to, but I'd like to see the fight clearly, just this once.

doc_marten_abortion
07-08-2007, 01:58 AM

It just seems to me that lately, filmmakers have all gotten together to play a joke on all of the fans of older franchises. Say, they want to lambaste them for enjoying something well past the point of good sense by covering them in crap for two hours. However, the genius is that the fans will actually eat up the crap and tell their buddies that the crap was delicious and, given the chance, would gladly help themselves to seconds.

This movie was just another piece of doo in the scads of other turds released this summer to crowds of people with no intention of actually considering the credibility of the films. Part of me actually envies that trait. I would love to have mindlessly enjoyed Transformers without annoying those around me with the laughter. Shit, I must have laughed at a handful of scenes that were blatant commercials for GM or Panasonic products. The bit involving the Xbox 360 and the Mountain Dew machine were ridiculous.

Maybe you've all explained why you enjoyed this movie, but, I'm still here to ask you why. Its inconsistencies (see: blackout's ability to decimate an entire military base in seconds-his complete inability to duplicate his power in the final battle) and attempt at serious dialog are the surface of the ocean of its problems. Basically, it was more poorly put together than my attempt of explaining my dissatisfaction. I'm a horrible writer when I'm sober; add alcohol and all bets are off.

Tomm Guycot
07-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Maybe you've all explained why you enjoyed this movie, but, I'm still here to ask you why.

Ever watched the show? Megatron magically getting an autobot symbol cause of animation mistakes? The fact that the Decepticons have to constantly look for energy while the Autobots operate on rainbows and sunshine? The fact that Soundwave magically alters his mass when he transforms? The fact that Megatron can do this too?

It's make believe. Not "About Schmidt"

ScrambledGregs
07-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I think I'm just too used to anime action scenes, where every single eye blink is given its own 10 second dramatic key frame.

Here's the funny thing. I thought 300 was an OK movie. I turned my brain off, didn't worry about inconsistencies with the real battle because ZOMG IT'S BASED ON A GRAFIC NOVUL, accepted the random unnecessary sex scenes, etc etc. And it was still only an OK movie. I wouldn't bother to watch it again, but I didn't hate it.

I wonder what everyone's opinion on Hell Boy is. I thought it was an extremely well done comic book adaptation that didn't dumb down or change the source material for a mass audience, but was still a great popcorn flick.

Saying Transformers is a fun summer action flick doesn't excuse its shortcomings to me because there are ways to make great fun summer flicks.

shivam
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
the best part of 300 was the trailer with NIN. the actual movie, not so much.
hell boy was kinda boring for me. i just couldnt bring myself to care about anything in it as i watched, and i havent read the comics.

I went into transformers expecting the most hopelessly pathetic pile of shit and scraps imaginable. There was no. fucking. way. that this movie was going to be any good at all. not a chance in hell.

every thing i saw screamed of commercialism--why would all the autobots use GM cars, of all things? nokia and ebay? really? my little effing pony? the xbot and the mt.dew bot at the end made me laugh sarcastically as well.

but you know what? the movie was genuinely funny, and the main characters were well done. it hit every cliche i expected, and was just as commercial as i expected, and it still managed to be a great time. I came out with a smile on my face, and that's all i can ask for.

reibeatall
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I just got back from it. I really did enjoy it a lot. There are some movies that I like, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch again, and then movies like this where I just want to see it again. I was afraid that the humans would get in the way (of both the action and the story) but I really liked how they did it all, and I'd recommend it to anybody I see.

Also, BumbleBee was the best. I want a camero now. An old one. That's yellow. And transforms.

Deadguy2322
07-09-2007, 05:53 AM
The thing I kept thinking during the movie at any given time was "Oh, now it's going to get good." But then it didn't.

The hallmark of Michael Bay.

sraymonds
07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Also, BumbleBee was the best. I want a camero now. An old one. That's yellow. And transforms.

Three out of four ain't bad. (http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-Bumblebee-1977-Chevy-Camaro-3008_W0QQitemZ200126643267QQihZ010QQcategoryZ60360 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

reibeatall
07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm considering taking out a loan for that car.

Also, considering that Michael Bay actually did something decent with Transformers, here's hoping he can do that with Prince of Persia.

Calorie Mate
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I think everyone being negative about the movie are missing the fact that, with regards to the Transformers, there's more than meets the eye.

Savathun
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
There must have been, because what met my eye was blurry and shaky and hard to follow. :(

sraymonds
07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
AW DANG, Brandon's bringing his A game. Is this the thread where people gonna get served?

Kupek
07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Transformers is made of awesome.

I had a bad two days. I either needed to lift heavy things, or watch robots blow shit up. I went into the movie wanting a fun ride, and that's exactly what I got. The only parts I didn't like were the computer security technobable. Everything else? Awesome. I liked the humor with the kid and the girl and his parents and the Autobots sneaking around his house. I thought that was hilarious. Silly, yes, but the Transformers themselves are silly. The cartoon we grew up with was a vehicle for selling toys. I wanted the concept to be made fun of, because it deserves it.

But when it came time for action, they meant business. The action sequences felt like a ride. The camera movement conveyed motion. Watching Optimus transform at full speed, turn around, football-tackle a Decepticon and decapitate him with a sword is one of the coolest things I have seen on screen in ever.

Schmidt
07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Watching Optimus transform at full speed, turn around, football-tackle a Decepticon and decapitate him with a sword is one of the coolest things I have seen on screen in ever.
Amen.

Merus
07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
There must have been, because what met my eye was blurry and shaky and hard to follow. :(
I'm pretty sure this is against the Constitution. The 13th Amendment specifically prohibits owning people.

Calorie Mate
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM

...ouch.

But when it came time for action, they meant business. The action sequences felt like a ride. The camera movement conveyed motion. Watching Optimus transform at full speed, turn around, football-tackle a Decepticon and decapitate him with a sword is one of the coolest things I have seen on screen in ever.

For me, it was the moment Megatron ripped Jazz in half that did it, but yeah, there were plenty of sweet moments in that movie. I can't wait to buy it.

sraymonds
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM

I thought Optimus was the one that got tackled.

Schmidt
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, Optimus turned around to engage. Depending on perspective, he either got bowled over but made a nice recovery as they went off the overpass, or he was planning on doing a sort of hip toss maneuver in the first place to yank the other guy off the interstate and out of pursuit of the kid.

sraymonds
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Dammit, now I don't have a choice but to go and see it again. Thanks a lot, guys.

Savathun
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
But but.. I wasn't trying to ouch people. :( Besides, if you love something you must let it go, never own it. It says so in a framed plaque in my grandmother's bathroom (which I always thought was a weird place for something like that and it led to a lot of mixed messages).

I don't know. I'm glad you guys liked it and that lots of others did. I just wish I had, too, because I wanted to. But at this point, I'm thinking maybe I'll enjoy it more when I see it on DVD. Who knows?

sraymonds
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
But but.. I wasn't trying to ouch people. :( Besides, if you love something you must let it go, never own it. It says so in a framed plaque in my grandmother's bathroom (which I always thought was a weird place for something like that and it led to a lot of mixed messages).

I don't know. I'm glad you guys liked it and that lots of others did. I just wish I had, too, because I wanted to. But at this point, I'm thinking maybe I'll enjoy it more when I see it on DVD. Who knows?

HEY, you're sitting at the wrong lunch table. You can't be here with us. You're supposed to be sitting in the corner at the far end of the cafeteria.

Calorie Mate
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Much like Rosa Parks, Brandon sits wherever.

Savathun
07-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Even where there's wet paint.

Man, I don't even care.

reibeatall
07-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I was walking through the store and I purchased ...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6876/pic0029mv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I turned around for a litte while, and wouldn't you know it? There was more to him than meets the eye.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3695/pic0031lt3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shivam
07-13-2007, 11:45 PM
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/REVIEWS/70620006/1023

ebert's review. really well written.

Squall
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Let down by the movie's total lack of Soundwave? Fear not, he was busy testing for a whole new use!
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/15/soundwave-transformer-gets-mp3-player-upgrade/
I want one, for sure.

Crazy Larry
07-18-2007, 03:32 PM
So, yeah, I'm way late to the game here, but I just saw this last night, and my thoughts are that it's a decent action flick with a stupid romantic teen comedy tacked on. I enjoyed seeing it in the theaters once, but if I watch it again it'll be on DVD and I'll be skipping every scene that doesn't involve robots fighting or Megan Fox being hot. I mean, while I would've preferred a two hour montage of giant robots fighting, I understand why they made the movie this way, and can accept it. Just think it wouldn't have hurt if they had made those scenes a little less pandering.