PDA

View Full Version : Alt 17: Kirby 64

Parish
02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
It's the worst Kirby game of all! But a bad Kirby game is still pretty good. You probably didn't play this when it came out on N64, but now it's ten bucks on Virtual Console. So frigging play it, already.

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
HAL / Nintendo | Action | N64 | 2000

Loki
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Worse than Amazing Mirror? I find that hard to swallow.

Gredlen
02-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I remember looking forward to this game, then being so disappointed when we rented it. Is there a word for anti-nostalgia?
To be fair, my first Kirby game was Super Star, so I had a lot of problems getting into any of them after that.

Red Hedgehog
02-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Yay, now that I finally have my old systems hooked up, I can play this and Phantasy Star II.

Parish
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Worse than Amazing Mirror? I find that hard to swallow.
Amazing Mirror is pretty dang good, son. Recalibrate your priorities.

Tomm Guycot
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Kirby 64 is easily the worst Kirby.

After Kirby's Adventure (which was mindblowing on the NES), I was expecting more of the same - tons of powers, tons of secrets, huge multi-level worlds...

Kirby 64 delivered on none of this. A handful of powers. Linear levels. Ugh.

mopinks
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
so we're not counting Air Ride?

Brickroad
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Kirby 64 is one of the few Kirby games I really like. I'm hoping that I really like it again, too!

Parish
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
so we're not counting Air Ride?
That doesn't count, because it wasn't a video game.

mopinks
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
but it was an unusually cute Skinner box!

Phat
02-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess that I'll go for 100% then. Grooooooaaaannn.

Parish
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
but it was an unusually cute Skinner box!
This is correct.

poetfox
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Two words: Checkerboard Chase.
Rarely has such a incredibly simple but incredibly fun 4-player minigame been created. Seriously, you get a full group of friends in there? And you will have a blast. It's mainly what I bought it for. I've already played it more than the actual game since I bought it this morning.

That said, this game controls a lot differently. It's not enough to ruin it for me? But as someone who has played a lot of Kirby, this 3D Kirby feels quite different. Heavier and slower, I think, if I had to describe it.

I'll still be beating it over the course of this week and having a blast, though. As was said, Kirby's Adventure and especially Kirby Super Star sets a high bar, and this doesn't meet it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good time. I try not to let the feeling that it could be better taint the experience, you know?

Tavir
02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Some of the music in the game was really good. I really liked the music of the UFO/pyramid level in World 2, and I also enjoyed this game's version of the Butter Building music.

Ben1842
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I've actually never played this game but I don't have time right now to check it out.

I have been playing a lot of Kirby though.
I finished part one (http://www.retrowaretv.com/home/VGTOEpisodes2222and23/tabid/99/Default.aspx#ep22) of the Handheld games and I've been playing both the GBA games for part 2.

So far I'm not sold on amazing mirror but I'm going to try it more multiplayer later today. So maybe that will make it more fun. :)

Eusis
02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Seeing as how I didn't play very far into it when I originally got it, I won't be buying the VC version. I'll be dragging out the N64 and hooking it back up for this one, thank god it doesn't use the analog stick since those are kinda crappy now on my controllers.

mopinks
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
whoa guys, I just combined ice and spark.

my $10 purchase is completely justified now.

Loki
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I never played Amazing Mirror with multiplayer. Maybe that's the key. Alone I felt the other Kirbys were anoying, the maze hard to navigate, and the map useless. I didn't bother to compleate it and I'm a huge Kirby fan.

JCDenton
02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
whoa guys, I just combined ice and spark.

my $10 purchase is completely justified now.

Is the the refrigerator? Because that is an awesome power-up. Then again, most of them are. A rock tethered by electricity? Exploding shurikens? Ice skates? Darth Maul's light saber? Yes please.

Also, the worst Kirby? I've played a fair amount of the little pink guy in my day, and personally I think only Canvas Curse is better.

mopinks
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
the powers are really creative, but I'm a little unnerved that Cutter Kirby seems to be tearing his own face off and throwing it.

Brickroad
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I told a friend of mine that I was buying this, and he was like "What? That game only has like six powers."

Something I don't think I knew my first time around: you can tell how to break through certain walls by looking at their color, and then using that power (or combination of powers) on them. How that escaped me originally I can never know.

One of the tricks is going to be identifying levels where I can grab certain powers right near the start. I seem to remember ice being the rarest of them.

Meta-Knight isn't in this game is he? I forget.

fanboymaster
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Fire and Ice is the one where he freezes and then instantly melts.

My favorite will always be the one where he uses a rag to shine his head until it bursts into flames.

Mr. Sensible
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
So is Kirby's Adventure even more awesome than Dream Land 2? 'Cause that was pretty awesome for an original Game Boy title. It also has the best Kirby ability: Spark plus the fish-buddy (Kine?). Uncle Fester-inspired powers FTW.

Brickroad
02-25-2008, 07:22 PM
YOU GUYS.

Bomb + Cutter = EXPLODING NINJA STAR.

Life is sweet.

Tavir
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
So is Kirby's Adventure even more awesome than Dream Land 2? 'Cause that was pretty awesome for an original Game Boy title. It also has the best Kirby ability: Spark plus the fish-buddy (Kine?). Uncle Fester-inspired powers FTW.

IMO, yes. Kirby's Dream Land 2, while awesome, always felt like somewhat of a step down in the series after Adventure. The level design felt really simplistic when compared to Adventure, and although KDL2 technically has more powers due to the animal combinations, they feel a lot more varied in Adventure. Plus, Adventure has a lot more "hidden switches" that unlock areas to discover than in KDL2 (which were basically just the rainbow drops).

Mr. Sensible
02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
IMO, yes. Kirby's Dream Land 2, while awesome, always felt like somewhat of a step down in the series after Adventure. The level design felt really simplistic when compared to Adventure, and although KDL2 technically has more powers due to the animal combinations, they feel a lot more varied in Adventure. Plus, Adventure has a lot more "hidden switches" that unlock areas to discover than in KDL2 (which were basically just the rainbow drops).

Sounds like I need to drop by the ol' VC and download the wrong Kirby game for this thread.

Thanks!

Chu
02-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Darth Maul's light saber?

Curse that electric dual-bladed saber! Sure, it looks awesome and is a good weapon, but I lost a couple Kirby's to bottomless pits because I kept forgetting he couldn't fly with it in his hands. D'oh.

Loki
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I think Adventure is the best game in the series. Yes, better even than Super Star. It's amazing how much was done within the confines of the NES hardware. So much so that the GBA remake with better graphics and sound feels like a step down from what came before.

ArugulaZ
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, a friend (wink wink) loaned this game to me, and I was underwhelmed with it. The graphics were fine, but the game was much too slow (especially underwater! Arrgh!) and the abilities seemed ridiculously unbalanced. Spark + Ice = Invulnerability. Also, I just don't buy Kirby as a ninja who impales his enemies with giant shuriken.

Sprite
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Wasn't this game originally supposed to have multiple playable characters? I seem to recall old screenshots with Dedede in the one-player mode.

Dynastic Bird
02-26-2008, 06:01 AM
I have it now, but...I was really underwhelmed with this one. Maybe I'll do a bit later... Still, bomb shurikens for the win!

Actually, you can play as Dedede in this game. It's just that it's only for some parts.

Strangely, Meta Knight is a no-show. In fact, he isn't in ANY of the Dreamland games while he was a character in Adventure, KSS, Amazing Mirror, and Squeak Squad. I have no idea why.

DeeMer
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
There are two branches of Kirby games. I like to call them "Hard" (not as in difficulty) and "Soft" Kirbies. They split after Kirby's Adv. on the NES.

The Soft games include animal friends and Dark Matter. They theme on the power of love/friendship to defeat a Cosmic Horror, usually by collecting Rainbow/Heart/Crystal pieces. This would be Kirby's Dreamland 2 & 3 and Kirby 64.

The Hard games include Meta Knight and greater power variety. These include Kirby Super Star, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad. They're more about action, I think.

I generally prefer playing the Hard types, but I absolutely love Dark Matter/Zero, even though "Evil Black blob from space with a single Eyeball" is probably the most generic sounding bad guy ever.

Adrenaline
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
A handful of powers.

WHAT? This game has a ton of powers. I really liked it a lot. It was easy and the levels are simple, but mixing powers is awesome.

TheSL
02-26-2008, 09:30 AM
They split after Kirby's Adv. on the NES.

The Soft games include animal friends and Dark Matter..

So do you include Kirby's Adventure in both then? I could have swore Dark Matter was the end boss in that one.

Brickroad
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
So do you include Kirby's Adventure in both then? I could have swore Dark Matter was the end boss in that one.

Nope, that was the Nightmare King.

Torgo
02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Dark Matter was the final boss in Squeak Squad. In fact, Squeak Squad just continues to thread that Kirby sometimes is little more then a petty thug that jumps to conclusions.

Seriously. In Kirby's Adventure, he hunts down the star rod and beats the crap out of Dedede, only to find out that Dedede was trying to stop the Nightmare King. Talk about gratitude.

In Squeak Squad, his slice 'o cake is stolen. The culprit? It must be Dedede! Brother makes a couple mistakes and he's branded for life. For added bonus points, Meta Knight also turns out to not be the bad guy in this one; He's just trying to stop Kirby from being a stupid idiot and unwittingly releasing Dark Matter, which he, of course, ends up doing and having to clean up.

Kirby means well, but let's face it, he's kind of an idiot. And a jerk.

Brickroad
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Kirby means well, but let's face it, he's kind of an idiot. And a jerk.

I think Supper Squid bears this out nicely.

Kishi
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Dark Matter was the final boss in Squeak Squad. In fact, Squeak Squad just continues to thread that Kirby sometimes is little more then a petty thug that jumps to conclusions.

Seriously. In Kirby's Adventure, he hunts down the star rod and beats the crap out of Dedede, only to find out that Dedede was trying to stop the Nightmare King. Talk about gratitude.

To be fair, Adventure was only the second game in the series, and Dedede was the main villain of the first one. He hadn't been established as a good guy yet.

That crap about Kirby's cake getting stolen in Squeak Squad was truly awful, though, and indicative of how little thought went into that game in general. There's a difference between a story that's elegant in its simplicity and one that's just brain-dead.

Brickroad
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
To be fair, Adventure was only the second game in the series, and Dedede was the main villain of the first one. He hadn't been established as a good guy yet.

Also, according to the story, Kirby apparently went and asked Dedede what's up and Dedede didn't come clean about why he broke the Star Rod. So maybe he had the beating coming. (Are instruction manual stories canon?)

Look at us, all grown up and discussing the finer details of pink creampuff video games! Our mothers would be so proud.

poetfox
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
So I really wish there was a consistent way to turn off powers. Most you can do with B, but sometimes you can't. The Lightsaber you have to duck, I think... and the flaming sword you have to press up and then press B... I probably just suck, but these sorts of things make me make a lot of stupid mistakes. Heck, I'd even take a pause menu that explains the power like Super Star and most Kirby games lately have.

Daremo
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
I rented this back when it came out and the level design was so bland that I never got beyond the first couple levels. Playing it through now I have given it more of a chance. Things get better as the game goes on, but never to the level of the NES Kirby. This one is still a fun enough game, just wish it were maybe a little harder, had better control, and more interesting level designs.

mopinks
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
this game really is agonizingly slow.

I'm just so enamored with discovering hilarious new power combinations that I don't even care. swiss army Kirby! come on!

Tavir
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
One thing that angered me to no end about this game: the tiny cut scenes when you enter a new world are missing! That was like the most charming part of the Kirby series!!

Sprite
02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
But there are charming little cut-scenes with the characters pantomiming with one another. I particularly like the first one where Waddle Dee turns around, and, in horror movie fashion, reveals himself to have been turned into the evil Waddle Doo!

Brickroad
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I forgot that at the end of the game Kirby saves the day with his cell phone.

So yeah! 100% clear! Woo hoo!

poetfox
02-29-2008, 06:34 PM
So I just beat the game, although I missed like... all of the crystals. I guess I might go back and find them all? But maybe not.

The thing that really got me about this game is the number of instant "I'm crushed because my toe is sorta kinda under this thing" deaths I encountered. I think that was part of how slow everything feels in the game, that I thought I had moved enough out of the way and didn't...? I don't know.

The other thing is, man, I thought I was decent at Kirby games because they're pretty easy, but I died so much it would have really hurt my gaming pride if I really cared that I died so much. It just sort of surprised me, because I've played just about every Kirby game, and I had beaten all of them but this one, and I think Dream Land 3, which I only played for a little bitty bit and which I look forward to purchasing on Virtual Console as well.

DeeMer
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
So I just beat the game, although I missed like... all of the crystals. I guess I might go back and find them all? But maybe not.

You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't. Did you download the Brawl soundtrack? Did you hear "Zero Two"? There's a boss that matches the awesome of that track, even if it is easy to kill.