PDA

View Full Version : OSTs! (Soundtracks)

Mightyblue
07-01-2007, 08:40 PM
So...figured I'd ask, given I remember a thread like this on the last forum.

Personal Favorites:
Record of Lodoss War OVA (Akino Arai OP + Yoko Kanno = Win)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (Love the combat themes and Sousuke's themes. 'Shirei' and 'Shouri' are my favorite tracks)
Final Fantasy V (Battle on Big Bridge, nuff said)
Tales of Legendia (Field themes and a few other scattered ones are good writing musaks)
Onegai Teacher (Good relaxing synth works, nothing exceptional, just mood pieces)

Savathun
07-01-2007, 08:42 PM
After however many years, I still really enjoy the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. I wish they had included one with SH4, as well.

Squall
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
What, no mention of Macross Plus? Or do we ignore anything Yoko Kanno on account of it being Yoko Kanno?

Beyond that, I recommend (anime-wise):
.Hack (YOU MUST HAVE THIS SOUNDTRACK)
~Tsukuyomi~ Moon Phase
Ruronin Kenshin
Macross 7 Fire Bomber! cd (if you're as crazy as I am)

Kishi
07-01-2007, 08:59 PM
The Big O
Silent Hill 2
Final Fantasy VII (Yeah, you heard me.)

Mightyblue
07-01-2007, 09:01 PM
What, no mention of Macross Plus? Or do we ignore anything Yoko Kanno on account of it being Yoko Kanno?

Record of Lodoss War OVA (Akino Arai OP + Yoko Kanno = Win)
I like Yoko, I just haven't watched Macross Plus in ages, or knew that she handled the soundtrack.

Savathun
07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot about anime OSTs. My favorite has got to be Haibane Renmei. I can't remember who does the music for that, though.

And this doesn't really count, but if my life had a soundtrack, I'd want the epic final battle (fought on top of a giant platform surrounded by a force field, which is necessary since said platform is rocketing towards deep space and a worm hole) to have these guys (http://www.myspace.com/revolutionstrings) playing "Chopstickin" for the background music. :D

shivam
07-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Serial experiments Lain, Noir, Yoko Kanno (all of em), Trigun, Read or Die, Hellsing, Neia_7, Ghost in the Shell, Big O, and Armitage.

I'm a big big fan of really empty, minimalist, western/cowboy style songs, with the lone twangy guitar echoing through the dusty plains type of thing.

game wise, most of the bemani series, every suikoden soundtrack, streets of rage, street fighter 3, megaman 2.

Savathun
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey, yeah, shivam! Read or Die is awesome. I only like about half the songs, though. But the show, on the other hand... totally love that.

reibeatall
07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Beyond that, I recommend (anime-wise):
.Hack (YOU MUST HAVE THIS SOUNDTRACK)

I have all 4 of them. God I love those.

Vahn16
07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Final Fantasy VI, X, XII and Black Mages (I think it's good)

All of the Halo soundtracks - Love or hate the game, you have to admit the soundtrack is a wonderful thing.

Rurouni Kenshin - The music was one of the best parts of the show.

Gyakuten Meets Orchestra (the Phoenix Wright orchestrated thing) - Sweet Lord, this is great. Even if you haven't played the games (shame on you), give it a listen. You won't regret it.

shivam
07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
gyakuten!
oh, and zone of the enders. and ssx3. star control 2. PoP Sands of Time. Parappa/Lammy. every music/rhythm game ever. castlevania: subtitle of the superfluous. REZ.

Mazian
07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Shivam speaks with words of wisdom!

Another favorite of mine is Kenji Kawai's soundtrack for Vampire Princess Miyu (OVA), even though I've never actually seen the anime. (A friend was listening to it, I liked it, I imported the CD... about 10 years ago. Maybe I should watch the show, I dunno.) Despite this, I still can't stand his original Ghost in the Shell soundtrack. Your mileage may vary.

shivam
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
i love the original ghost in the shell, but i'm a huge fan of that style of ethereal japanese music.

JCDenton
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Shadow of the Colossus. Final Fantasy VI, XII. Symphony of the Night. Most anything Zelda or Metal Gear or Metroid.

Lord of the Rings. Evangelion.

Shadow of the Colossus.

Guy
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Oh, nothing wrong with that. None of FF VII's badness was Uematu's fault. I've been meaning to get the Final Fantasy VII Piano Album, myself. I don't think his music really got stale until FF X, which I only really liked a few tracks of.

Torgo
07-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Track for track, there is nothing finer then FFVI. The SNES era as a whole is Uematsu's most consistently excellent period, and VI stands as the pinnacle of his work.

Also a shout out for FFXI. Granted I still haven't played XII yet, but I think it has the best ost in the numbered games since VI.

tungwene
07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm just assuming anything Sakimoto, Mitsuda, Yuki Kajiura, Joe Hisaishi or Yoko Kanno is already a given.

Hikaru no Go, Suikoden I & II, FFVI, Star Ocean 3, FLCL, Baiten Kaitos, Black Mages, Azumanga Daioh, Genshiken, Nodame Cantabile, Kill Bill, and Garden State.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about anime OSTs. My favorite has got to be Haibane Renmei. I can't remember who does the music for that, though.Ko Otani. The opening song is one of my favorite openers.

Tomm Guycot
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
After however many years, I still really enjoy the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. I wish they had included one with SH4, as well.

Psst! They did with preorders.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Shadow of the Colossus. Final Fantasy VI, XII. Symphony of the Night. Most anything Zelda or Metal Gear or Metroid.

Lord of the Rings. Evangelion.

Shadow of the Colossus.

Damn, I wanted to be the first to mention SotC.

Makkara
07-02-2007, 02:27 AM
My favorite non-game soundtrack is Escaflowne. People have already mentioned Kanno, and all her stuff is indeed great, but I feel the need to be specific when it comes to Escaflowne.

Guy
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Track for track, there is nothing finer then FFVI. The SNES era as a whole is Uematsu's most consistently excellent period, and VI stands as the pinnacle of his work.

As someone who owns the original soundtrack, the orchestrated album Grand Finale, the piano album, and the Orchestral Game Concert 20-minute track of the entire Opera sequence, I can agree with this 100%.

That Orchestral Game Concert Opera track is pretty wonderful despite its major flaws, by the way. Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre starts off the way it does in the game but then switches to the Grande Finale version, causing kind of a rocky transition. The Japanese male vocals also sound pretty ridiculous most of the time. Besides that, it's great!

Savathun
07-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Psst! They did with preorders.

Nooooo! I never heard about it. Usually I find those things out ahead of time, but I completely missed it! Argh.

Alastor
07-02-2007, 05:48 AM
.hack//SIGN: Beautiful. I'm a fan of the show and the art style even more so, but the music is what really hooked me. I nearly fell over when I heard the composer was responsible for the music found in Xenosaga 2.

Shadow of the Colossus: Speaks for itself, really.

Intelligent Qube: My favorite puzzle game outside of Tetris. It would seriously not surprise me if you told me John Williams composed this masterpiece of a soundtrack.

Naruto: Has this been mentioned yet? Because it's outstanding.

And the usual suspects, FF, Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear, Sonic, etc.

mr_bungle700
07-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Blah I wrote up a big ass post for the soundtrack thread on Talking Time Alpha and I don't feel like doing it again because I am a lazy ass. Um...how about random composer names (many of which have already been mentioned)?

Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)
Geinoh Yamashirogumi (Akira)
Hajime Mizoguchi (A lot of the symphonic parts of Escaflowne)
Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana)
Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII/Tactics, Vagrant Story)
Ko Otani (Haibane Renmei, Shadow of the Colossus)
Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest)
Koji Kondo (Duh)
Masaki Kurihara (Azumanga Daioh)
Masamichi Amano (Giant Robo)
Michiru Yamane (Symphony of the Night)
Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile)
Nobuo Uematsu (Duh again)
Noriyuki Iwadare (Grandia, Lunar)
Susumu Hirasawa (Berserk, all of Satoshi Kon's films, tons of amazing stuff solo and with P-Model)
Terry S. Taylor (The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys, which are two of the greatest game soundtracks ever and rarely get any recognition)
Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears)
Yoko Kanno (Billions of things)
Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve)
Yu Miyake (Katamari Damacy)
Yuki Kajiura (.hack/SIGN)
Yuzo Koshiro (ActRaiser)

Also, seeing as we've been talking about Ratatouille I have to give a nod to Michael Giacchino. The guy is brilliant. His Incredibles soundtrack was amazing too. Yann Tiersen (Amelie) is another great Western soundtrack composer. But I digress. If I drift over to the Western side of things I'll have to make this list even longer than it is already.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, Ratatouille is one of those extremely rare soundtracks that struck a chord with me as I watched.

mr_bungle700
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I see what you did there.

You're clever, Calories Man.

...Perhaps too clever!

Kishi
07-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Metal Gear Solid. The first one.

Mightyblue
07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I recently picked up the Fithos Musec Wecos Vinosec orchestral rearrangement of a bunch of FFVIII's songs, and I have to say that's some of the awesomest music I've heard in a while. I think I like this better than VI's Grand Finale orchestral rearrange, with the exception of the Aria Di Mezzo Carattere (Cele's opera bit).

Schmidt
07-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I've had all three Halo soundtracks (one for Halo 1, Halo 2 was released as two separate volumes) on repeat all week at work. They're fantastic.

Mr. Sensible
07-14-2007, 07:34 PM
FFVI is host to so many tracks that I find absolutely stirring. They stir me. Every boss battle is just so damn epic with "The Decisive Battle" hammering away in the background. Super Metroid, on the other end of the Awesome-Fantastic scale, edges in slowly from all sides, fangs glistening, stalking you through the catacombs and caverns of Zebes with a haunting urgency that just grips you by your manhood. Like, hard.

Zef
07-14-2007, 11:53 PM
OK, let me glance at my CD rack...

I see Katamari Fortissimo Damacy.
Okami, among my absolute favorites.
Last Exile.
Final Fantasy X, VIII, and XII. (Just OSTs. For arrangements, Celtic Moon, Love Will Grow, Pray, Black Mages 1&2, Fithos Lusec Vinosec.)
Dark Chronicle (plus Premium Arrange.)
Roar of the Earth (Shadow of the Colossus
Blue Dragon (final boss theme rocks!)
Kingdom Hearts II.
GTA: Vice City (Espantoso, V-Rock, Wave, Flash, Emotion.)
Memories (the Otomo movie.)
Chrono Cross.
Xenogears.

But my crown jewels are all part of the same franchise. I love these. I could part (after some kicking and screaming and possibly biting) with any of the above --not so with the following:

Mystére
O
Saltimbanco
La Nouba
Alegría
Dralion
Varekai
Quidam

A virtual cookie to whoever recognizes the common denominator for all those titles.

Merus
07-15-2007, 05:24 AM
You could have made it a little harder to identify the Cirque du Soleil.

Um, I think the only two complete OSTs I have are Katamari and Gyukatsu. I tend to prefer getting individual tracks of things I like, whether it's from the OST or an OCRemix.

Guy
07-25-2007, 05:32 PM
I've been listening to Neon Genesis Evangelion: Day of the Second Impact. Features a cheery pop song about suicide. Good stuff.

poetfox
07-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I've been listening to Gyakuten Meets Jazz recently. Does that count as a soundtrack? It has some good stuff, but overall Gyakuten Meets Orchestra is a ton more satisfying.

mode7
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Chrono Cross

openedsource
07-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Parappa! (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/23/psp-fanboy-presents-parappa-the-rapper-soundtrack/)

(I know there's been and are other ways to get your hands on the soundtrack, but, Parappa! I'll have these stuck in my head for weeks. Again.)

Mightyblue
08-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Long range thread necro...

I just got some copies of the different Macross Plus OSTs, and imagine my surprise when I find that Akino Arai also did a lot of vocal work for the soundtrack in addition to Yoko Kanno doing all the arrangements and other stuff.

Can I say GOD DAMN that is some awesome stuff! Why didn't I remember this music being this good from the last time I watched Plus?

Indalecio
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Macross 7 Fire Bomber! cd (if you're as crazy as I am)

I don't have the Macross 7 OST, but I do have the Super Robot Wars Alpha3 OST, which has a bunch of tracks from Macross 7

With that said

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Unlimited Saga
Breath of Fire DQ
Haibane Renmei
Dragon Quest VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Mana
Super Robot Wars A3
Super Robot Wars MX
Dune OST(Toto/Brian Eno)
SW: The Phantom Menace
Star Ocean 2
Star Ocean 3

Sanagi
08-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Long range thread necro...

I just got some copies of the different Macross Plus OSTs, and imagine my surprise when I find that Akino Arai also did a lot of vocal work for the soundtrack in addition to Yoko Kanno doing all the arrangements and other stuff.

Can I say GOD DAMN that is some awesome stuff! Why didn't I remember this music being this good from the last time I watched Plus?
Macross Plus was the beginning of an expensive habit for me...

JCDenton
08-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been listening to Neon Genesis Evangelion: Day of the Second Impact. Features a cheery pop song about suicide. Good stuff.

I'd hate this song if not for the subject matter, which makes it completely awesome.

Just keep lettin' me down.

lotusreaver
08-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Do movie scores count? If so, I have a soft spot for the Batman Begins soundtrack. Its only flaw, as far as I can tell, is that it omits the medley that overlays the ending credits. Other than that, it's chock full of moody goodness.

I also like the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban soundtrack. It's one of John Williams best albums in that it doesn't sound just like all his other soundtracks.

Zef
08-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Oooh, you just reminded me that I NEED to snag the Sunshine and The Fountain soundtracks ASAP.

Guy
08-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Man, they just posted a free Bioshock Orchestral score on the Cult of Rapture website. http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/cultofrapture.html

2K is really generous with free stuff over there.

Mightyblue
11-05-2007, 12:43 AM
So, uh, in the attempt at creating a new writing mix, I dusted off some old music files and rediscovered that Tales of Legendia has awesome music if nothing else.

Paul le Fou
11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
My writing mix tends to be "anything by Yuki Kajiura," and among those the Xenosaga II soundtrack movie scenes soundtrack. I dunno, her complex melodies make for really beautiful, contemplative calm pieces and super-epic battle scenes, and a number of things I'm working on have been pretty strongly aesthetically influenced by her.

Alixsar
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Most of my favorites have been mentioned already. Evangelion, SotC, Big O, random FF titles, Chrono Trigger/Cross/Brink of Time, Katamari, Tales of Legendia...but there are some that haven't.

- Almost any Ys OST, but the one for The Oath in Felgana (itself a remake of Ys III) is pretty great.

- The Granado Espada OST is great, if only because it reminds me of back in high school when I used to play Ragnarok Online for hours (GE's music is made by mostly the same people, and the game itself is essentially RO2).

- The Gitaroo Man OST needs no introduction. ...I hope.

- It might've been mentioned and maybe I missed it, but Symphony of the Night is obviously awesome.

- The music for SaGa Frontier II is absolutely outstanding (even if the game itself has some...issues).

- And on the anime front, I didn't see anyone mentioned Cowboy Bebop (!) or FLCL, which is surprising, really.

Shagohod
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
The Big O
Silent Hill 2

i also enjoy FF VII's soundtrack. i've heard people bash that album but i've been a musician for nearly 8 years (Guitar, drums etc.) and the only crime is that it wasn't orchestrated. The metal version of One winged angel in advent children is sublime. granted i'm also a big proponent of symphonic black metal. Silent Hill 2 is equally amazing. desolation and beauty mix greatly

personally my favorite soundtrack that i own.......batman returns.......elfman is the shit......most everything has an amazing deep/ominous feel. which goes hand in hand with the black metal affinity

Gredlen
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I am sad that only one person has mentioned SaGa Frontier II. I thought it had a lovely soundtrack.
Most of my other favorites have already been mentioned (practically everything by Yoko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, etc.), but I'd like to specifically state that the Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Trust/Betrayal OVAs) soundtrack is great.

Indalecio
11-06-2007, 08:07 AM
The resurection of this thread has inspired me to pick up this. (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9x-49-en-15-%22Fire+Bomber%22-70-2262.html)

The Macross Maximum Box. Bit pricey though.

Kirin
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
No soundtrack thread is complete without a mention of Mitsuda's "Brink of Time" funky jazz-arranged Chrono Trigger album.

Also, mad props to all the Fire Bomber lovers. That Macross Maximum Box looks scary awesome, only I probably already own half of its contents so I couldn't really justify buying it myself.

Sanagi
11-07-2007, 01:40 AM
No soundtrack thread is complete without a mention of Mitsuda's "Brink of Time" funky jazz-arranged Chrono Trigger album.
I've been meaning to start a thread about it so I can complain about the off-key singing that screws up the last track.

I do enjoy complaining, but I'm also lazy.

Mightyblue
11-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Okay, so Toshihiko Sahashi is pretty accomplished with the anime musics. I was looking through his ANN credits page and saw that he's done music for a lot of my favorite shows. In addition to the FMP series, he's also done the music for GSeed and Destiny (not a favorite, but good music anyway), and The Big O. Yeah, that one surprised me.

blitzchamp
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Thread revival!

My faves:
Baku Bomberman
The Big O
The Big O OST-2
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Cowboy Bebop
Cowboy Bebop OST 3-Blue
Daytona USA
Dragon Quest V Symphonic Suite
Dragon Quest V on Piano
Dragon Quest VII Symphonic Suite
Dragon Quest VII on Piano
Dragon Quest VIII Symphonic Suite
Ecco the Dolphin
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII Piano Collections
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X Piano Collections
Fun Beyer Companion ~ All Sounds of Super Mario World
Gundam W Operation 1-3
Happy! Mario 20th - SUPER MARIO Sound Collection (Nintendo DREAM Vol.139)
Initial D Selection 01
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kuniochi
Life Force
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
Mega Man 2
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2
Outlaw Star
Pokemon Game Boy Sound Collection
Revenge of Shinobi
Shenmue
Shinobi
Silent Hill 3
Snatcher>>Policenauts Music Co.
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Zoom Tracks
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Star Fox 64
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Way of the Samurai
Yoshi's Story

Dizzy
07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I still can't get over "Inner Universe" by Origa or the entire Kanno Kollection. I'm such a dork among nerds among geeks among seething shut-ins.

blitzchamp
07-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I still can't get over "Inner Universe" by Origa or the entire Kanno Kollection. I'm such a dork among nerds among geeks among seething shut-ins.

Inner Universe is great, I have yet to come across a Yoko Kanno work that I dislike.

Wolf
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Cowboy Bebop. Because, damn, people.

Some of my current favorite OSTs, in no particular order.

- Shadow of the Colossus
- Okami
- Ys: the Oath in Felghana (though, really, any Ys music is good)
- Ico (very minimalist, but the end theme really moves me)
- Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (same reasons as Ico)
- Rez

I also like the Rurouni Kenshin OVA soundtracks (both of them, Remembrance and Reminiscence). The TV series soundtrack mirrored the show: sort of bland and "eh..." in the first season, great in the second season, and tapering off weakly in the third. There are also some composers I like a lot, and listen to their music more or less on principle.

- Yoko Kanno
- Yasunori Mitsuda
- Hitoshi Sakimoto
- Yuki Kajiura

Ample Vigour
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Announcement:I am playing Tank! at my wedding reception, when and wherever it may be. That is all.

Zef
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I once attended a wedding where a the live performers played Aria Di Mezzo (short version, sans lyrics) at the religious service, and various FFXI and Zelda themes at the reception.

Would Tank! work better for the opening waltz, or the closing?

Dizzy
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Tank! is great on its own merits as a TV show theme, but as a separate jazz piece is sounds like something out of SNL.

Wolf
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Announcement:I am playing Tank! at my wedding reception, when and wherever it may be. That is all.

You are my new hero.

blitzchamp
07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Cowboy Bebop. Because, damn, people.

Some of my current favorite OSTs, in no particular order.

- Shadow of the Colossus
- Okami
- Ys: the Oath in Felghana (though, really, any Ys music is good)
- Ico (very minimalist, but the end theme really moves me)
- Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (same reasons as Ico)
- Rez

I also like the Rurouni Kenshin OVA soundtracks (both of them, Remembrance and Reminiscence). The TV series soundtrack mirrored the show: sort of bland and "eh..." in the first season, great in the second season, and tapering off weakly in the third. There are also some composers I like a lot, and listen to their music more or less on principle.

- Yoko Kanno
- Yasunori Mitsuda
- Hitoshi Sakimoto
- Yuki Kajiura

I liked some of the songs from the commercials for Rurouni Kenshin, but I've never really listened to the OST. Time to check it out. All the people you listed are amazing to me, but I don't know who the last person is. Oh wait, a quick Google search shows that she worked on the .Hack//sign soundtrack, which I also enjoyed. I didn't play enough of Okami to really get a feel for its OST.

Why don't I get invited to weddings like these?

Mazian
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
I have a friend who danced to The Real Folk Blues at his reception.

Paul le Fou
07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a friend getting married in... like a week or something, and she's using game music in her wedding too. Personally, I dunno if I could go through with that. I'd somehow feel too nerdy.

nunix
07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
After my brother and his wife did the kiss, they played the Final Fantasy level up music.

philliam
07-16-2008, 07:55 PM
After my brother and his wife did the kiss, they played the Final Fantasy level up music.

Are you serious?

nunix
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Are you serious?

100%. Fanfare is the word I was looking for. The level up fanfare.

Dizzy
07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone think the Super Mario theme (or the end theme) is appropriate for funerals? I heard this idea once.

Wolf
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I liked some of the songs from the commercials for Rurouni Kenshin, but I've never really listened to the OST.

I should probably clarify my opinion on the Rurouni Kenshin music where the TV series is concerned. There is precisely one opening/ending theme I like, which is "Heart of Sword" by T.M. Revolution. It's big, cheesy J-rock, so be warned. The rest of the themes, I don't really like or dislike. They're just sort of...there. As far as in-episode music goes, though, the second season is definitely where it's at.

I didn't play enough of Okami to really get a feel for its OST.

I haven't heard the entire OST, but I like the field themes, particularly on the Ryoshima Coast.

Zef
07-16-2008, 10:58 PM
100%. Fanfare is the word I was looking for. The level up fanfare.

Aww. I already had the mental image of the "Tah-tata-tah!" jingle from Final Fantasy Tactics' "Level Up."

Anyone think the Super Mario theme (or the end theme) is appropriate for funerals? I heard this idea once.

*raise hand*

But then, I don't really want my funeral to be a somber affair.

I haven't heard the entire [Okami] OST, but I like the field themes, particularly on the Ryoshima Coast.

Oh yes. The brass instruments really make that piece.

"Shinshu Fields" is pure love, especially the second part where all the other instruments come in. Otherwise, "Reset" (instrumental version) and "The Sun Rises" are among the best uses of music in a video game, and Waka's themes sound like they came right out of a Yasunori Mitsuda album. And that's just my personal favorites! Wep'ker, Kamui, and the Dragon Palace, Sakuya's theme (reprised gloriously in "The Sun Rises,") and the final battle scenes have great music, too.

nunix
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Aww. I already had the mental image of the "Tah-tata-tah!" jingle from Final Fantasy Tactics' "Level Up."

Yeah, that's called a fanfare, that's the thing. ;) The sound they use in every FF for level-up.

Ample Vigour
07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
The Lumina theme from LoM is probably my favorite piece of video game music right now, next to the entire Einhander soundtrack.

Kirin
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Ah, wedding music. The first CD for our dance was relatively "normal" with some bands people had actually heard of, some 80s, some oldies. Also a couple Glay songs.

Then there was the second CD. Rinbu Revolution and Toki ni Ai Wa from Utena. Endless Rain by X Japan. And towards the end we *really* started getting silly with Ultra Relax from Kodomo no Omocha and the Cock Robin dance from Patarillo. It was pretty glorious.

Wolf
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
You should have played some of the Utena duel themes, too.

mr_bungle700
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Ultra Relax from Kodomo no Omocha

Did you...did you do the dance?

Mightyblue
07-17-2008, 05:15 PM
It is my firm desire to play Man With The Machine Gun or Battle on the Big Bridge as I go down the aisle with whoever my future wife will be.

dangerhelvetica
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
But then, I don't really want my funeral to be a somber affair.

Go for a New Orleans brass band.

Zef
07-17-2008, 06:21 PM
It is my firm desire to play Man With The Machine Gun or Battle on the Big Bridge as I go down the aisle with whoever my future wife will be.

That will be a very animated walk down the aisle, then. Myself, I'd rather have the Theme of the Red Wings. At the exit, Jajauma ni Sasenaide.

And for the Eucharist itself, One Who Bares Fangs At God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzqEPgPD60). Just to be both blasphemous and obnoxiously punny.

Dizzy
07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Eureka Seven - Get It By Your Hands (http://profile.imeem.com/HdxJ1/music/ZZRmP1X8/get_it_by_your_hands/)

Kirin
07-18-2008, 08:33 AM
(Ultra Relax) Did you...did you do the dance?

Yes. Yes we did.

(Well, more or less. One of our friends in attendance *really* knew the whole thing, and many of us attempted to follow along.)

mr_bungle700
07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Astonishing! I am impressed.

At the very moment that I die, I want to have the SMB death tune play, followed by the game over theme. This must be arranged.

Kirin
07-19-2008, 01:28 PM
The catering staff was very amused. Or at least dumbfounded.

Sheana
07-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Hellsing soundtrack yet. I've never seen the show and never will, and I'll never read the original manga, but a friend gave me the soundtrack and I love it to pieces. Now that's rockin'.

Bergasa
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I was about to post a new thread, but then I remembered this one. Does anyone know about these Rockman soundtracks-- there appear to be two of them, both remixing music from the first 6 games. One remixes them techno-style (http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEGA-MAN-ROCKMAN-1-TO-6-TECHNO-ARRANGE-GAME-MUSIC-CD_W0QQitemZ370062692872QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1345QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem), while the other is rock-style (http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEGA-MAN-ROCKMAN-1-6-ROCK-ARRANGE-GAME-MUSIC-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ370063252357QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1345QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem).

Any good? Anyone know where I can hear samples?

reibeatall
07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Guys I love the Wild Arms soundtrack.

Kishi
07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I was about to post a new thread, but then I remembered this one. Does anyone know about these Rockman soundtracks-- there appear to be two of them, both remixing music from the first 6 games. One remixes them techno-style (http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEGA-MAN-ROCKMAN-1-TO-6-TECHNO-ARRANGE-GAME-MUSIC-CD_W0QQitemZ370062692872QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1345QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem), while the other is rock-style (http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEGA-MAN-ROCKMAN-1-6-ROCK-ARRANGE-GAME-MUSIC-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ370063252357QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1345QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem).

Has anybody mentioned this one yet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z6N6aHVfBc&feature=related)?

Because it seems pretty obvious to me.

Oh god, that album is so bad. How could they mess up something so natural like rock arrangements of Mega Man? Because they did.

Eirikr
07-21-2008, 04:56 PM

THESE ARE BAD

AVOID

Because Kishi beat me and to avoid redundancy, I'll clarify the albums a bit. They were hotly anticipated by the game music community because it was a simple formula: Mega Man Music + Rock Arrangements. How could they mess that up? The arranger was the guitarist for the Guilty Gear series, so that would be a plus, right? Wrong. The arrangements sound really weak, not powerful and balls-to-the-wall like the old Konami Battle arrangements. Oh, and the techno one sounds pretty generic. Nothing special at all.

shivam
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Hellsing soundtrack yet. I've never seen the show and never will, and I'll never read the original manga, but a friend gave me the soundtrack and I love it to pieces. Now that's rockin'.

i love this soundtrack.

Bergasa
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
kishi's thing

Thanks, I didn't read the thread at all.

By the way, the song linked isn't that bad. I can't vouch for the rest of the album, but from what I heard, it's not terrible.

Eirikr
07-21-2008, 05:03 PM
By the way, the song linked isn't that bad. I can't vouch for the rest of the album, but from what I heard, it's not terrible.

Feel free to explore, but a lot of the material is out of tune and tempo which lends it a very irritating listening experience. All the more so seeing that it's Mega Man music that we know inside and out.

I can tolerate the arrangement of Dr. Cossack Stage 2, but only because I love that track a lot.

BEAT
07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
While In the past I've typically regarded listening to game soundtracks as something only desperate crazy people do, I'm ashamed to admit that since I've discovered GameMP3s.net, I've accumulated a massive amount of Video game music.

The worst part? The terrible, terrible rock songs that now feature prominently in Sonic games? I listen to them so much. I know it's wrong but I just can't stop myself!

Eirikr
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
The worst part? The terrible, terrible rock songs that now feature prominently in Sonic games? I listen to them so much. I know it's wrong but I just can't stop myself!

My dark game music secret? I love the Knuckles raps from Sonic Adventure 2.

Kishi
07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm walkin' through valleys, cryin' pumpkin in the alley
Didn't seem happy, but they sure tried to get me
Had to back'em up with the fist, metal crack 'em
I'm hearing someone sayin', "You a chicken? Don't be scared"
It had to be the wind, 'cause nobody wasn't there

PUMPKIN IN THE ALLEY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qygha1T2AYw)

Eirikr
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
...and that's my favorite one.

Mightyblue
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
So, I mentioned Tales of Vesperia's OST in the J-music thread, and I have to update my impression that there's a fair amount of stuff in it that's easily some of Sakuraba's best in it. On the whole there's a lot of good stuff in the four disc set, but man, much as I like the soundtrack a lot of it is real tranquil atmospheric stuff that I can't listen to for more than half an hour at a time.