PDA

View Full Version : The Stars My Destination

<3arl
06-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Has anyone else read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester? It is a science fiction novel about Gully Foyle, the only survivor of a ruined ship floating in space that vows vengeance on the ship that abandoned him. It starts off almost like the Hatchet series of novels, as Gully attempts to escape his predicament, and it proceeds to unravel the disturbing but fascinating portrait of Gully Foyle who is, in my opinion, one of the best anti-heroes of all time. This is also taking place in a world where teleportation is possible just by thought and it explores those implications and it how it surprisingly (at least to me) relates a lot to how we live today (through the instant flow of information and what not).

This is one of my favorite books, but I have had a hard time trying to convince anyone else to read it. I am just crazy about a book that isn't that good, or are my friends just crazy?

shivam
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
god, i love this book. it was cyberpunk 50 years before its time. One of the best golden-age sci fi books i've ever read.

Mazian
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I've always liked that book. You can pretty easily place when it was written by the somewhat dated style (and interesting ideas about radioactivity), though it's held up well nonetheless. Certainly one of the Classics Of The Genre(tm) that's still worth reading for fun.

Next to it on the shelf is my copy of Psychoshop, which is an odd little mishmash of a book that works a lot better than it has any right to -- it was an unfinished manuscript of Bester's when he died, which Roger Zelazny then picked up a few decades later, and more or less finished the rest of it himself, although it still didn't reach print until a few years after his death as well. Somehow, the combination of styles works remarkably well.

Sanagi
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Classic sci-fi. The most thorough exploration of the possibilities and implications of teleportation short of Larry Niven's nonfiction essay on the topic.

dwolfe
08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Niven also had fiction stories exploring teleportation. I recall one as a locked-room type mystery, and one exploring the concept of flash crowds taken to an extreme well before any occurred in real life.

More on topic, tSmD was a pretty good book; anyone read any other books of his besides that and Psychoshop? I haven't, are they any good?

Indalecio
08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I've only read the book once, and I can still recite most of it from memory.

You know better than make a claim like that, and not back it up. Come on man, out with it!