PDA

View Full Version : Do you know Shinigami love apples?

ShakeWell
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Man, I just watched the last episode of Death Note, and holy crap! What an amazing series. I hadn't been so addicted to a series since Cowboy Bebop! Not that they share any similarities besides being anime series(es?). Has anyone else watched or read Death Note? I'm sure Nadia has, what with L being her avatar and whatnot, but some of you others must've.

*SPOILERS AHOY* (Highlight for spoilerage)
Seriously, I totally didn't know what was going to happen at the end. After episode 36, it seemed like there was no way Near could have Light's number, it seemed as if Light had thought of everything! But no! He chose a zealot instead of a thinker to carry out his judgment, and it cost him big time! It's almost too bad. I kind of wanted Light to get away with it, but it was awesome to watch him go berzerk and try to write Near's name on the scrap in his watch, then get gunned down by Matsuda. It was crazy! Holy crap do I sound like a fanboy or what?

Anyways, it's awesome, if you haven't seen it or read it, it's totally worth your time to check it out.

TheSL
07-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I stopped watching it shortly after [important character]'s death half way through the series when they started to heavily deviate from the manga. That, and I didn't want to spoil the ending to the manga either since the last issue of it comes out this week.

Vahn16
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I just finished the manga a couple days ago, so I know how you feel. [Spoilers, only read if you've read the manga. I didn't know the anime was different.] Even after Near had proven Light was Kira, I kept expecting Light to say something like, "mwhaha, this was all part of my plan!" Instead he just died. Ryuk's ruthlessness in comitting the act took me by surprise as well. I knew Mello's last hurrah would have some kind of impact on the end, but I didn't think it would turn the tide in Near's favor.

I also liked the fact that all of the main characters questioned if they really did the right thing. Even if Light had gone crazy, he was still helping the world. Equally as interesting was Matsuda's theory that Near had written Light's protege's name in the Death Note. You'd think he would've tested the Note before trying to kill everyone since he hadn't used it for so long (he knew people were after it). I think Near probably did it.

TheSL
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
...I didn't know the anime was different.]

It just seemed to speed things up and skip a lot of the little details by the time they got to the Mello/Near stuff. I mean, within a handful of episodes after [important character]'s death they had already introduced Teru Mikami.

Vahn16
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Jeez, they must have skipped a shit-load of material to do that. I may have to go watch it now, just to get angry at Madhouse for doing this, only to forgive them when I become mesmorized by the beautiful animation.

Guy
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
You call that swimming!? (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6913/deathnoteswimmingax4.jpg)

Kolbe
07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I haven't finished the manga, but it's well written and quite addictive. My only complaint is how, suddenly, new characters arrive at the scene only just when it was about to end. Like Misa, for example. She had nothing to do with the overall story and just poped up, when both rivals were just going to meet each other.

It's a good cliffhanger-populated drama, but that particular issue is kind of like a Dragon Ball Z method to keep the series going on and on. On a second view or read, it might get boring.

SDMX
07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Just popping in from the old board thread to represent the army that thinks this show really blows ass. We had a lot of really good points too, before the name of the old board got written on some arrogant blowhard of a pissant teenager's notebook.

Jus' Sayin'.

poetfox
07-02-2007, 04:51 PM
You call that swimming!? (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6913/deathnoteswimmingax4.jpg)
Wow... just... wow. That's entertaining. Then again, I'm easily entertained.

I blame you all for getting me into Death Note, by the way. The manga recommendation thread on the old boards got me to read the first one, and I was hooked. Wikipedia had spoiled the ending for me (but that teaches me to go to Wikipedia... I was looking for a character reference picture) but I still found myself captivated through the last book, as I knew what was going to happen, in the end, but had no idea what exactly was going to go down. It was still quite entertaining. I think that says something about the series. It's really all about seeing exactly how things go according to the crazy plans and how they don't, and what exactly the crazy plans are. Even knowing the outcome, it's still neat to see what happens.

JCDenton
07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I too blame this board for getting me into Death Note. Haven't read the manga yet, is it worth it?

Spoilers/rant:
I really liked the first ten episodes or so, but once Misa showed up the whole thing started to go downhill. I thought quartering her life would come back somehow, but she ended up being a really obnoxious and unimportant character, in my opinion. The entire segment where Light gave the notebook to that business man was dragged out far too long and only interesting to show his personality not under its influence. Neither Mello or Near were nearly as cool as L, and it really felt like it should have ended with episode 26, after his death. Did anyone else think Light became a different, less interesting, less intelligent character at that point? Sloppier, less meticulous, more heartless; though I suppose 4 years pass in that space and he might have become complacent without an opponent. Ryuk practically disappears, which was disappointing; I was hoping his story would get fleshed out a bit more. Wasn't there some set up with him and the King of the Shinigami? Bleh.

The series wasn't bad by any means, but I felt like it had much more potential.

Eddie
07-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I too blame this board for getting me into Death Note. Haven't read the manga yet, is it worth it?

The series wasn't bad by any means, but I felt like it had much more potential.

Movie spoilers:

I completely agree with you. The series should have ended after the death of L. Else, do it like they supposedly did in the movie, where L ends up tricking Light. I think how it goes is that L writes his name and time of death into one of the Death Note's, and when Light writes L's name in the book, L simply plays dead. His death was already written down, so it couldn't be changed. Then apparently it ends much like the manga; Light dies, but instead L passes away peacefully a few days afterwards. I'm getting this from Wikipedia, so it could contain a lot of errors.

- Eddie

Vahn16
07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
While I enjoyed the manga ending, that movie one sounds a whole lot better. [Semi-spoilery stuff] L was always more interesting than Near and Mello, and I thought he'd eventually bring down Light, at least until he died.

Guy
07-03-2007, 02:18 AM
I just noticed something reading volume 1 of the manga: On page 21, look at the top left panel showing the open Death Note, where Ryuk is admiring how many names Light filled in. In the rightmost column of the left page, the third name down appears to be Rocky Balboa. I'm looking at it now and it looks like Tim Burton is somewhere in the middle of the same column.

TheSL
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
While I enjoyed the manga ending, that movie one sounds a whole lot better.

But those movies are far beyond crappy as far as uhh...everything else is concerned about plot, characters, acting, etc.

I read the last volume of the manga last night in one sitting and I've got to say it was pretty intense. I started off hating Mello and Near when they were introduced, but by the end of #12 my feelings about them had taken a complete 180.

Jakanden
07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
I read the entire Manga and enjoyed the first part, although I agree with the fact that it should have ended when the previously mentioned character died.

I haven't seen more than like 4 episodes of the Anime nor I have seen the films and I don't really have a desire to do either. I read the Manga and that was enough for me.

Guy
07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I just saw the movie last night, and it is pretty bad. And I mean bad in the literal sense of the word, meaning "not good". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBWxMlpm_XA)

Vahn16
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I think they're making another live-action movie that's all about L. I want it to be good, but based on the quality of the other Death Note movies, I doubt it can be even decent.

ShakeWell
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I didn't know the manga ended differently, but my friend who introduced me to the series mentioned that they gloss over alot of stuff from the manga, and the series really should've been 42 episodes, instead of 37. 37 is a really weird number of episodes... I wonder why they did that...

That being said, I've only read the first graphic novel (trade paperback, whatever), so I still totally loved the series. The part where [important character] dies was, I thought, cool. It lets anyone who wants [his rival] to win, win. At least for a little while. The third story arc was, I think, the weakest. When Mello gets the Note, and there's that jet plane in the desert... Dumb. But on the whole, I still liked it way more than any other series I've seen lately. Though I am way behind on Naruto Shippuuden. It was suspenseful in a way that most anime, hell, most regular shows, just aren't.

tungwene
07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Having read both the manga (scanlations) and watched the anime I prefer the manga because there's more to the story. I understand why Madhouse did what they did with the anime because lots of fans complained about not liking the stuff that came after the big twist/stopped reading all together so they streamlined the story after that and now people are complaining how dare they leave anything out. I guess you can't please everybody. If Madhouse was going to leave anything out I do think their best bet was the Near/Mello stuff because that was the weakest (a missile we can't track by radar!? Oh noes!).

estragon
07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I just saw the movie last night, and it is pretty bad. And I mean bad in the literal sense of the word, meaning "not good". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBWxMlpm_XA)

I was living in Japan at the time the movie came out, and I went to see it in the theatre about a week or so after it came out with the friend of mine who initially loaned me the first 4 tankobon volumes of the series. (After that I just started buying them myself because I got hooked... Thank god it ended not too long before I left the country or I'd still be waiting to find out what happened in the last volume.)

In any case, I was trying so, so, sooooo hard not to be that rude foreigner in the theatre who laughs obnoxiously during that scene you linked to. It's just so incredibly terrible. It was incredibly difficult not to cause a scene and be the ugly American during that business, but I just didn't get the vibe that anyone else thought that was as hilarious as I did. Lots of Japanese live action movies are really over the top like that, and I think the rest of the audience had already built up an immunity to that kind of melodrama.

Also, L is my favorite character, and I was really pissed at how awful his actor was.

Relatedly, I wanted both L and Light to be way, way cuter. L in particular was a big downgrade from how he was drawn.

Guy
07-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Yeah, it would've been great if they could've gotten an actor who knew how to play L as a real person and not as an anime character.

I liked some of the other stuff that they did, though. Like Light being an aspiring law student who is genuinely disgusted by the treatment of criminals, for instance. In the manga I had to turn my brain off in order to convince myself that a high schooler would completely abandon his moral values in about ten seconds and become a mass-murdering psychopath just because he was bored. Then again, in the movie I had to turn my brain off in order to understand how criminals just didn't get punished. So, why is it that those murderers didn't get convicted? Were the police just lazy?

Kishi
08-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I just finished the last volume of the manga. So: I love this series. From the meticulously planned narrative to the highly endearing characterizations, it's easily one of my favorite stories ever.

The only exceptions to the above praises are, of course, Mello and Near.

Spoilers: It was bad enough that L's hand-picked successors were a couple of infantile jackasses, but that they actually won victory where L had failed was almost too much to tolerate. Light was absolutely right about them, especially regarding Near: He didn't even deserve to wear L's mask.

Seriously, screw those kids.

And while I understand that the plot wouldn't have had any reason to end unless Light finally tripped up somehow, I still, uh, kind of wish he didn't? It was so much fun watching him repeatedly come back from the most dire situations with some kind of triple-secret super-plan that I probably still would have been satisfied if it had all just ended with him killing everyone who could possibly implicate him and finally becoming the unmatched god of the new world. You know--Happy End.

Actually, even in light of the reality that he had to lose and die, it still seems like he deserved better than what he got. Remember how Ryuk would think to himself how scary Light was, or how Rem claimed that he had actually surpassed the shinigami? For all his incredible finesse in manipulating the Death Notes and those around them, I think he should have gone on in death to become a shinigami himself--maybe even the new Shinigami King. Then he could continue to carry out his dark work from beyond the boundaries of earth, and they'd all live righteously ever after.

Oh, well. You can't win'em all, I guess.

shivam
08-03-2007, 10:15 PM
i wanted to like it, but i never got into the first volume, and just couldnt be bothered to try again.

JCDenton
08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
And while I understand that the plot wouldn't have had any reason to end unless Light finally tripped up somehow, I still, uh, kind of wish he didn't? It was so much fun watching him repeatedly come back from the most dire situations with some kind of triple-secret super-plan that I probably still would have been satisfied if it had all just ended with him killing everyone who could possibly implicate him and finally becoming the unmatched god of the new world. You know--Happy End.

That was what I was hoping would happen, but alas, to no avail.

ecchi squirrel
08-03-2007, 11:30 PM
For the beginning of the story, Ryuk says that if a human uses the Death Note, they're pretty much guaranteed to get screwed. Light just managed to accomplish a few things before it happened to him, that's all.

SDMX
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
That was what I was hoping would happen, but alas, to no avail.

Note of interest: Quoting spoilers... un-spoilers them!

Not that I care, of course. Series still blows. :V

nadia
08-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Not that I care, of course. Series still blows. :V

This is an attitude that's always fascinated me. I'm not a big Metal Gear Solid fan; the gameplay just doesn't suit me. Still, millions of people love the games, so I have a choice here. I can say, "Metal Gear Solid is a good series, but it's just not my cup of tea," or I can say "IT BLOWS!!!!!!!"

I normally choose the former, but I guess some people would rather save themselves the typing time.

Thinaran
08-04-2007, 02:57 AM
I think he tried to end the sentence with an emote from Something Awful, so that may explain why.

SDMX
08-04-2007, 03:08 AM
The fact that it's my opinion is implied by me saying it. For anyone to state otherwise and expect to be taken seriously is outright laughable.

That said, series is:

Self-Righteous
Angsty
Transparent
Lacking in interesting or engaging characters
Directed in a completely inappropriate manner (Araki did great work on Black Lagoon, but writing names in a notebook is not as dramatic as barfighting or gunslinging, though you'd never guess, since the styles of direction in the two shows are identical)
As a result, laughably dramatic
Ridiculously staged

So, no. Not, in my opinion, what I'd call a good show. It assumes unto itself an air of intellectualism that it doesn't ever flesh out. Rather, it tries to pass that kind of thing off with uselessly complex designs for cubbyholes and wild plans for executions that pan out seamlessly without so much as a second consideration.

It refuses to allow you to any suspension of disbelief by constantly reminding you that it wants to be taken ever so seriously. If this wasn't the case, I think I would have had a lot more fun with it.

I am, however, very pleased to admit that I took in enough of the show to find the 4chan and SA parodies hysterical.

UN! DEUX! TROIS!

nadia
08-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I am, however, very pleased to admit that I took in enough of the show to find the 4chan and SA parodies hysterical.

I guess in the end, that's all that counts.

Shinigami
08-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I like apples!

Savathun
08-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I just started watching it yesterday, and I'm up to episode, um, nineteen now. Just been watching them one after the other.

I'd heard about it before, of course, but I had no idea it was THIS good.

Still, I'm afraid to read the first page of this thread on account of the possible spoilers. I already stupidly walked into that trap when, in between episodes sixteen and seventeen, I took a break and started reading up on the show and happened upon an article written by someone here. It was about cool anime deaths, so I thought, "Hey, this could be cool, but I bet Death Note is mentioned, so I'd be stupid to look. Ah, what the heck, I'll just skim throu-- DAMN IT!"

But hey, gettin' there's half the fun, so no problem. I know how Harry Potter ends and I'm still gonna go see it in theaters. I may not enjoy it as much, but I'm totally hooked, and I've gotta see what happens to that dickface, Raito.

cortbassist89
08-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I can't find the anime anywhere, and I don't really have 60 bucks to fork out to finish reading the manga.

Damn my OCD, it won't let me just go read 'em at Barnes and Noble, I MUST OWN THEM. But new. SO I MUST PAY $60.

Which I ain't got.

Savathun
08-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm the exact same way, Cortbassist. It's not money smart, but it just feels weird checking stuff out at a library or reading it there in the aisle.

I'm really chomping at the bit to buy these on DVD in November. I'm pretty sure my parents would love them, so that'd be fun.

I wonder if they've recorded the English dub for this yet. I would assume so, but man it would be cool to be a part of that. I think I could do a pretty ok L or Matsuda.

EDIT: Woohoo! I just finished the last episode and I loved it. Spoilers: I'm glad Light went out like a little punk. He was a self-righteous megalomaniacal sleaze and honestly, he deserved worse than what he got. Judging by the comments on youtube, people really liked him and thought he should have won, but I would've been pretty upset if he had.

It's a shame about L dying, and the series does kind of go downhill from there, but without it, Light might never have been defeated and just dragged the stalemate out forever. He made the mistake of assuming that Near and Mello were either just like L or inferior, instead of seeing them as completely different people. He just felt like he was "still fighting L" from beyond the grave and didn't plan properly.