PDA

View Full Version : Alt 20: Grand Theft Auto IV (plot mission thread)

Parish
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Here's where we talk about the crappy part of the game.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Rockstar North | PS3 / Xbox 360 | Action | 2008

WreckTheLaw
04-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Here's where we talk about the crappy part of the game.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Rockstar North | PS3 / Xbox 360 | Action | 2008

Except that it's pretty friggen awesome this time around. I wrote about it a bit in the main forum, but I'll say it again here: Rockstar manages to give the NPCs levels of characterization that just haven't been reached in other open world games like this, and they do so to great effect.

I'm about 20 hours in so I'll wait to post crazy spoilers until at least tomorrow when people will have caught up. But tonight I finished the mission "The Snow Storm" and the following few codas that led to a new major NPC being introduced. It was a great stopping point. The whole thing really lends itself to episodic style play.

One such example is that over the past few days of playing, I've felt Niko's relationship with one of the early characters becoming stressed - they nitpicked and criticized him in effect for moving up the ladder of success and wearing better clothes. Instead of having fun hang-out sessions, they were filled with complaints about the show not being funny or the food not being good or Niko sucking at bowling. I made sure each play session ended with one of these, and there was a clear downslide in friendship, leading to a major event at about where I'm at. Great stuff.

ted2000aed
04-29-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm about 20 hours in so I'll wait to post crazy spoilers until at least tomorrow when people will have caught up.

Wow and I thought the 2 hours I got in after my midnight release was a lot...I won't be posting in the sandbox thread until I can go anywhere I want and can truly sandbox it up. As of right now, this story might be the best GTA story I've seen (which is kinda like saying it's the best cowpie on the farm but still). I've already come to enjoy Niko and his past that he has run from and I want to get back to learning more about him. I enjoy the relationships I'm building and the one's I've already broken. CJ made me feel sympathy, but Niko is someone I can
understand and I really am interested what will happen to him.

This all being said, I can't wait to really talk about this and play some more. Poor, WEWY, I was having such fun with you too.

Merus
04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
I love how you more or less start out where GTAIII ended. Look at the map: Catalina's mansion should be about where Roman lives.

I love how the third mission forces you to choose between Michelle and Roman. I also love how the game doesn't then 'force' you down whatever 'path' you picked, and that you're allowed to go and patch things up with whoever character most interests you.

Less fond of bowling. My housemates and I just played a set of Wii Bowling, and the difference in feel is remarkable.

WreckTheLaw
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow and I thought the 2 hours I got in after my midnight release was a lot...I won't be posting in the sandbox thread until I can go anywhere I want and can truly sandbox it up. As of right now, this story might be the best GTA story I've seen (which is kinda like saying it's the best cowpie on the farm but still). I've already come to enjoy Niko and his past that he has run from and I want to get back to learning more about him. I enjoy the relationships I'm building and the one's I've already broken. CJ made me feel sympathy, but Niko is someone I can
understand and I really am interested what will happen to him.

This all being said, I can't wait to really talk about this and play some more. Poor, WEWY, I was having such fun with you too.

Agree wholeheartedly, and yeah. I was playing WEWY while my roommate played Fes on the big tv. Now he's been kicked to my smaller set and WEWY occasionally gets played on the way to work when I'm not reading.

I love how you more or less start out where GTAIII ended. Look at the map: Catalina's mansion should be about where Roman lives.

I love how the third mission forces you to choose between Michelle and Roman. I also love how the game doesn't then 'force' you down whatever 'path' you picked, and that you're allowed to go and patch things up with whoever character most interests you.

Less fond of bowling. My housemates and I just played a set of Wii Bowling, and the difference in feel is remarkable.

Bowling grew on me a little, but it's still more difficult than darts. Pool I'm either great at or AWFUL at. Also, you guys will be happy to know that at least once you get the Whiz phone there's an option to put your phone on sleep, effectively turning off the story mode until you want to be bothered again. I'm not sure if it's on the first phone, but it might be.

Knight
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I liked that too, but it felt like a subtle sort of training for when you'll have to make decisions between your contacts.
Also, you guys will be happy to know that at least once you get the Whiz phone there's an option to put your phone on sleep, effectively turning off the story mode until you want to be bothered again. I'm not sure if it's on the first phone, but it might be.
That's good, I ignored one of Roman's calls, and it had a lil thumbs down icon with his name next to my mini-map, so I was afraid I lost points with him or something and I didn't want to turn him down again because I wanted to screw around.

WreckTheLaw
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I liked that too, but it felt like a subtle sort of training for when you'll have to make decisions between your contacts.

That's good, I ignored one of Roman's calls, and it had a lil thumbs down icon with his name next to my mini-map, so I was afraid I lost points with him or something and I didn't want to turn him down again because I wanted to screw around.

It definitely is training, just for general GTA IV play. Last night I had a date lined up with Michelle... but Roman called and was getting out of the hospital from an *ahem* helicopter crash (Look, I didn't see that skyscraper...) I had to bail on her because, you know, you put a dude in a hospital you at least drive him home.

EDIT: Also, yeah, you did lose points with him. You can check that by going into the pause menu, stats, then general. Again, by turning off your phone you can dodge these losses. So glad they included that feature.

DOUBLE EDIT: Though... Being able to have my phone on to call Roman's taxi service, or Little Jacob to provide me guns, is the sort of thing I'd like to have available during a run and gun action session (and in the case of Roman's taxis, has actually bailed me out before.)

reibeatall
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey Rockstar, your cover system sucks donkey balls.

sraymonds
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I know it's bros before hos, but Roman's a bit of an ass.

And concerning Michelle, I bet that she's an undercover Fed. But then someone will tell me that it's obvious and shit on my theory but I will counter with I've just started the game.

I hate you guys preemptively.

Merus
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Roman's a cousin you haven't seen for ten years. He's not my bro. And Michelle was all over me after meeting me once.

Balrog
04-29-2008, 08:32 PM

I like Roman the douchebag. It reminds me of that line from Jackie Brown: paraphrasing "I don't trust Melanie but I can trust Melanie to be Melanie."

Merus
04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about choosing where to go on a date and trying to pick a good spot to go that's different from where we've been but that she'd still like.

If I wanted to put that much effort into a date, I'd go on a real one instead. It's not like this game contains some Hot Coffee.

WreckTheLaw
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM

And concerning Michelle, I bet that she's an undercover Fed. But then someone will tell me that it's obvious and shit on my theory but I will counter with I've just started the game.

That's exactly what I thought. Keep this in mind. And know that I'm not hating.

I'm not sure how I feel about choosing where to go on a date and trying to pick a good spot to go that's different from where we've been but that she'd still like.

If I wanted to put that much effort into a date, I'd go on a real one instead. It's not like this game contains some Hot Coffee.

Just wait until you get to date the chick who wants to go to the strip club. Oi Vey.

My long post here (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=161745&postcount=156)

Regarding that, I forget the mission's name but Packie, his brother, and Michael St. Michael, a friend of Packie's, devise a plan to rob the Algonquin bank. The whole mission is sick to death. Bring body armor, and your knowledge of Reservoir Dogs and Heat. Also, the wrapped up the Dwayne and Playboy X missions last night. At the end you have to kill one of them or the other. Killing Dwayne nets you 25k, which is chump change compared to what you get from robbing the bank I've heard, and it also makes Playboy not talk to you anymore, maybe he even beefs with you. At this point i rethought my decision and went back, taking out Playboy instead. His mission is harder, and the assassination kill is sick, and you get Dwayne as a friend and Playboy's crib up in Harlem-styled Holland.

EDIT: Changed the color of the previous spoiler text I quoted to hopefully make it less visible.

TheSL
04-30-2008, 07:50 AM

I just choose to take her to the bar on the first date where I actually had any control. It was kind of a bitch to get back since Nikko got hammered, but once I evaded the cops he started to sober up a bit and I got her home in one piece. I even unlocked the "Warm Coffee" achievement!

Knight
04-30-2008, 11:16 AM

And concerning Michelle, I bet spoiler? started the game.

I started thinking this too after taking her out and she started grilling Niko about Roman, implying he's some kind of criminal. Also got some Warm Coffee on the second date, that was pretty fast. She yells some weird stuff.

Merus
04-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Roman, dodgy? No, say it isn't so.

SilentSnake
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm enjoying my experience so far, but so far it feels like a prettier GTA3. I'm not that far in, so maybe that will change. I am at the china shop mission, and boy am I looking forward to that! What I do enjoy that's new is the choices and consequences as well as the social aspects. I really hope there's a ton of people to get to know, as that's my favorite part of the game so far. I can't wait to see the effects.

Merus
05-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I've noticed that when you go and replay missions, the dialogue changes. I'm curious to know what affects that, but I'm most amused that Rockstar went to the effort to record multiple sets of lines for each mission.

PhoenixUltima
05-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I just beat the game a little while ago, and (no spoilers, I promise) this game might just have the longest fucking credit sequence ever in the history of anything. Jesus.

Psyael
05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
All phones have the ability to go to sleep. The first phone lists it under options.

Anyway, it seems like everyone I've talked to chose Michelle over Roman in the third mission, but I went with Roman. For my trouble I got into a fight with two guys, a chase, and a fight at an elevated train station with a knife-weilding guy that ended rather awesomely (and rather un-scriptedlike) when an errant punch broke the a large window, so I just use a kick to literally send the dude flying out of the station and to the ground below. His radar dot stuck around an extra five seconds but then disappeared. Roman later tells someone I simply broke that guy's arm. What.

For what it's worth, afterwards I got a text from Michelle wondering where I was, so I went over and picked her up and there was an in-car conversation about why I was so late. I didn't get a negative with her for this.

pence
05-06-2008, 02:11 AM
I was having some trouble shooting up the Triangle Club for Dwayne; whenever I popped the manager at the front, the other guys ran out the back, and vice versa. My solution: I backed an SUV into the rear door of the club, then waited for the managers to run through the front door. It actually worked. I was honestly expecting the car to disappear when I walked into the club.

Knight
05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I was having some trouble shooting up the place for person; whenever I popped the manager at the front, the other guys ran out the back, and vice versa. My solution: I backed an SUV into the rear door of the club, then waited for the managers to run through the front door. It actually worked. I was honestly expecting the car to disappear when I walked into the club.
I was having trouble with that too, I was able to successfully beat the first manager in his office with my bat half the time, the other half he'd get in a lucky hit that knocked me back and then shoot me, alerting everyone. I had a proud moment with the last one that escapes out the back and into a car, I manually aimed and took out his tires and gunman as he drove by, making finishing him off all too easy.

Also, Michelle you fucking bitch! I was mad at being setup, but that fed guy you work for is not that bad, he's no Mike Toreno though.

shivam
05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
yeah, i went with roman first, too.

Knight
05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I did the mission Three Leaf Clover earlier, that was awesome. Packie is the best. I'm really liking the characters so far, but I was hoping for more to do with Little Jacob and Badman, I was able to get by LJ's rasta gibberish, but Badman just took it so far that it made it funny.

shivam
05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
even the subtitles are in Jamaican Patois. the linguist in me freaks out with joy everytime the rastas talk.

O..O~
05-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Brucie is probably the most hilarious gta character yet. Something about everything he says just cracks me up.

reibeatall
05-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Brucie is probably the most hilarious gta character yet. Something about everything he says just cracks me up.

It's because he a mother fucking winner, man. VIP baby.

pence
05-08-2008, 12:39 AM
this game might just have the longest fucking credit sequence ever in the history of anything. Jesus.

Time to go find out what would happen if I had made some different... decisions on my way to the end of the game. Hell, the story seems like it could continue past the ending credits, based on a phonecall I just got.

Sarcasmorator
05-08-2008, 12:44 AM
I haven't beaten it, but I'm hoping DLC does more than tack on plotless missions. A story expansion would be terrific.

Also, I hate Brucie -- I'm disappointed that it looks like I won't get an opportunity to kill him -- but Little Jacob is my new best friend. He's awesome.

blinkpen
05-08-2008, 06:42 AM
I am really liking Niko's personality so far. For all his maudlin and grim impressions of America and dark thoughts concerning his bloody past, he's got a really fantastic sense of humor and the way he manages to charmingly disarm everyone he meets while still not taking any shit from them is winning him tons of cool points. Plus I like how he can basically kick the shit out of anyone he meets. Every time he humbles the shit out of Brucie I get a little spring in my step.

I've really grown to like Roman too. His nonstop bullshitting and loud, boisterous buffoonery somehow becomes endearing over time. He works as a good foil to Niko for one, his loud-mouthed, pacifistic, ever-optimistic manner being the exact opposite of his dark-humored, tempermental cousin. He became truly sympathetic to me after his business and apartment was burnt down and suddenly you realize that he wasn't just acting delusional about "living the American dream". He really worked hard to earn these things, he truly appreciated having them, and suddenly I looked at Niko's attitude at the beginning of the game in a whole new light. And then of course when after all was said and done and he was finished venting and raging at Niko for showing up and ruining everything with his short temper, he comes back to his normal self and is ready to cheerfully try again in the Land of Opportunity. It really brought a smile to my face.

blinkpen
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I was having some trouble shooting up the Triangle Club for Dwayne; whenever I popped the manager at the front, the other guys ran out the back, and vice versa. My solution: I backed an SUV into the rear door of the club, then waited for the managers to run through the front door. It actually worked. I was honestly expecting the car to disappear when I walked into the club.

When I did that one I beat down the guy in the office with a baseball bat so that a ruckus was not raised. Then I went to the back and took out the guy in the private dance room with my shotgun and when the third guy ran out the front door I just ran out the back, grabbed a car, and chased him down.

Psyael
05-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who summoned a fire truck to my burning apartment to watch one pull up right out front, declare "there's nothing here," and leave.

Knight
05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who summoned a fire truck to spoiler to watch one pull up right out front, declare "there's nothing here," and leave.
I didn't even know you could summon a fire truck. I guess you call 911? I didn't even think of that.

blinkpen
05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh man, I'm doing my first mission for Packie, the guy is a real dick to his sister, but the banter between him and Niko on the drive is excellent.

WreckTheLaw
05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Just beat the game. There are two choices to make back to back going into the end of the game. The first only affects dialog, the second effects more.
I chose not to kill Darko Brevic, and then Revenge instead of deal. I'd love to talk to someone about what happens if you do the other. Also, christ what a way to end the game for poor Niko. I'm psyched for DLC just to see the plot continue to progress!

shivam
05-10-2008, 01:18 AM
so i'm playing super slowly, and i finally killed vlad. that was satisfying.

Sarcasmorator
05-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Fun detail from that: Niko puts up his hand to block the arterial spray.

Adrenaline
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
One of the best headshots ever.

blinkpen
05-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I discovered that I'm already past the 30 hour mark and I roughly estimate myself at 1/2 to 2/3rds the way through the main story.

So much for that achievement.

One thing I really like about this game: The combat doesn't suck. It's not a refined experience or anything, but you can actually get into a pitched firefight in this game and survive more than 12 seconds. Various areas have excellent layouts for taking down waves of enemies with strategic use of cover and weaponry. For once the gunplay is actually something fun that I look forward to.

Sarcasmorator
05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I wish the hand to hand wasn't complete garbage, but I'll take the much improved shooting, yes.

SilentSnake
05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I wish the hand to hand wasn't complete garbage, but I'll take the much improved shooting, yes.

The hand-to-hand feels more intimate than in previous GTA games (though it is too complicated for its own good), but at the same time, it is completely unnecessary. Other than the hand-to-hand tutorial mission, I haven't once needed to use it, as guns always was the only choice worth choosing. They might as well have not put any effort into the fighting.

pence
05-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Spoileriffic discussion of choice in GTA4:

It struck me that, of the binary 'live or die' decisions you make during the game, only some of them are meaningful to the game or story. The European who you find hanging from the edge of a building, the drug dealer holed up in the projects, Packie versus Francis, even Darko Brevich seems to have no impact on the game. The choices take on some meaning by letting you roleplay Niko, what he is thinking, and what his decision would be; and they provide some base emotional impact (wrestling with the decision before deciding to shoot Darko out of pity was the climax of the game for me), but as Bioshock pointed out, the decisions mean little with respect to the outcome of the game.

On the other hand, killing Playboy X nets you a neat safehouse and a new friend who can give you benefits in the form of helpful NPCs, which seems like a fairly significant gameplay benefit. And the single binary decision you make at the end of the game, deal versus revenge, determines the final outcome of some of the major characters. And in a particularly manipulative twist, whichever character you trusted most during the decision-making process will get cut down before the end of the game. But these were the only two decisions I observed that affected the narrative in a way that could be felt throughout the rest of the game.

In conclusion, you can futz with the narrative of the game more than in older GTA games. I'd compare it to Deus Ex, you can move some minor things around in the middle of the game, and in the last half-hour you're presented with a choice that determines the way the story ends. Neat.

SilentSnake
05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Welp. I've just encountered my first major glitch. I just did the second Gerry mission and I was chasing a guy into a tunnel and a little ways into the tunnel me and my motorcycle just fell through the road into this black abyss of nothingness. Then, ten seconds later, I popped back onto the road. And I've done this mission several times without this particular problem.

alexb
05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Beat it tonight. You know, there are some characters that just sort of fell out of the plot. For instance, Mikhail's wife and Bulgarin. The latter in particular just disappeared after a non-conclusive mission involving diamonds. Anyone know what happened to them?

WreckTheLaw
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Beat it tonight. You know, there are some characters that just sort of fell out of the plot. For instance, Mikhail's wife and Bulgarin. The latter in particular just disappeared after a non-conclusive mission involving diamonds. Anyone know what happened to them?

Listen to the radio/read the news on the web. A hobo finds them in the dump and the Mayor rules that no one else has a substantial claim to them and so the hobo gets the only happy ending in the game. Also, Mikhail's wife is a stranger/side mission down at Firefly Island in Broker. I suspect Bulgarin will be in DLC.

Adrenaline
05-12-2008, 10:33 PM
The devil is in the details, or in this case the awesomeness is. So many little bits add to the immersion of the world. I love how when you're walking back to a car, you can faintly hear the radio still playing the song that was on when you got out. I love Niko's arm reaching out the window to pay the toll and passengers dropping stuff out the window. For some reason, calling Jacob up and having him meet you with a car full of weapons is so much cooler than just walking into an Ammu-Nation. I like how some missions require you to e-mail someone and then wait some time (where you can do something else) to get a response. I love how in "The Snow Storm" Niko carries the bag over his shoulder instead of it just entering an invisible giant pocket. I love how escaping from the cops involves actually escaping instead of picking up icons or going to a pay-and-spray right under their noses. The amount of precision in such a huge game is tremendous.

alexb
05-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Listen to the radio/read the news on the web. A hobo finds them in the dump and the Mayor rules that no one else has a substantial claim to them and so the hobo gets the only happy ending in the game. Also, Mikhail's wife is a stranger/side mission down at Firefly Island in Broker. I suspect Bulgarin will be in DLC.

Considering I'm past those points, can you just tell me about it, then?

Merus
05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm not far in, apparently - I've met Mikhail - but so far I'm fascinated that for once we seem to be getting some high-class satire. Not that Republican Space Rangers shit, which is funny but extremely heavy-handed (though as Scottish developers, I can see why they'd appear to lean left as opposed to the US, because you've really got to mean it to be more right-wing than America), but the essential premise of the game - what is the American Dream? I've had every character I've met so far tell me what the American Dream is, and they've all disagreed. No-one seems to know what it is that they're chasing, only that they'll be living the life of Riley when they find it. When taking Roman out for a show, he tells me in the car what it is about America that he truly loves - there's a shortcut to everything. I found this fascinating, because it really seems to mirror Rockstar's version of America. Any problem can be solved using the most extreme method, which is how you can make sure it stays solved. Anything is available, at a price, and if you don't have money it's easily available so long as you're not attached to your soul. As far as I can tell, Rockstar have been developing this theme for a while but it's only now that they've really been able to articulate it clearly.

Roman also says that one day he'll find the shortcut to the top, and I can't imagine that being anything but pain.

WreckTheLaw
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Considering I'm past those points, can you just tell me about it, then?

Mikhail's wife asks you to go beat up another one of her daughter's boyfriends, and yells at you when you kill him. The killer is in Alderney City, in an alleyway at night in the north west of that city in Alderney. Then theres a second mission with him towards the middle of Berchem, I think. In the second one, he tries to kill you, and I did the amazing thing of getting the police to kill him for me. I wish that the in-game news could've reflected that, but whatevs, my alternate story of a bunch of cops freaking out because they killed him instead of bringing him in alive, and then ditching the body and reporting him as found dead is just as fun and plausible.

Matchstick
05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I just finished the story last night. 73% completion. I have some thoughts on pence's choice discussion.

The guy that you chase for Vlad that gives the first (AFAIK) choice appears later as a stranger on the street you can do at least one mission with. The Francis vs. Derrick (not Packie) choice is similar to the Playboy X vs. Dwayne choice. Francis provides a similar ability to Kiki (i.e. help cancel some wanted stars). Derrick has no special ability that I could find.

For the last two choices, I actually found there to be some inconsistency there. I had decided to let Darko live because he seemed more tortured just existing and Niko really didn't seem to want to just keep on killing. Plus, the revenge angle hadn't really worked out so well to that point for anybody. However, the next choice was between revenge and cash. Kate tells Niko that she won't forgive Niko if he goes for the money, but that leaves revenge which I'd just decided to forgo. The most consistent choice at that juncture seemed to me to be to do neither. However, I opted to kill Dmitri, because unlike Pegorino, I did think that he would carry a grudge. After his constant hectoring throughout the game, I just couldn't see him letting it go. Ultimately, I was left feeling incredibly ambivalent about the ending of the game, but not in a bad way.

Knight
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
So I did the mission Blood Brothers last night, and man, I think I made the wrong choice. I wanted to choose Derrick, but when I paused and looked at the mission completion, Francis was only at about 66%, so I decided to kill Derrick to get some more missions. Well, I guess Undertaker counts as Francis' last mission, and his call up ability doesn't even clear a 6 star rating. I hate Francis, he's such a dick, I wanted to go back and change it, but I didn't check mission completion or find out how disappointing his ability is until multiple missions and a few saves afterwards. Oh well, there's always next game, and going for the Liberty City Minute achievement.

blinkpen
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
So I did the mission Blood Brothers last night, and Stuff. Oh well, there's always next game, and going for the Liberty City Minute achievement.

Interesting, I chose to off Francis, and seemed to get no benefit for it whatsoever.

Basically I made the choice based on the fact that while Derrick is a junkie wreck and something of a paranoid coward, at least he's honest about it, while Francis is a hypocritical douche. Also, Derrick asked for my help while Francis tried to blackmail me into doing his dirty-work. I felt bad about it regardless though. Something about how naively Francis trusted me made me feel kind of bad for him. I resented being forced to make the choice at all.

Here's a question, did anyone, ANYONE choose to kill Dwayne instead of Playboy X? I mean, not only is Dwayne the more sympathetic character, but you get a friend and a luxury suite out of the deal. From what I've heard all you get for killing Dwayne is Playboy X giving you some cash and kicking you out the door.

Adrenaline
05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Man, I'm loving some of these missions. The bank robbery was amazing, such a great capturing of Heat's mood that Kane & Lynch has been rendered completely useless. The tricks to Francis' missions are great too, getting an interview to make your way towards one target and calling another to move him in view.

I also killed Playboy. All of my choices so far have been to spare people, I'm going to play again and make all the opposite choices. I didn't see the benefit to more money when I just scored a quarter mil on the bank job.

blinkpen
05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
So I completely blew my first date with Alex. She apparently didn't like the way I dressed. Also it seems that checking my e-mail two hours after her appointed meeting time didn't help.

So, is that it? You screw the first date up and the girl is just gone forever? Kinda harsh. At least I lost the most useless one. Kiki's wanted level removal has saved my hide half a dozen times now. It really makes finishing a lot of missions easier.

Matchstick
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
As I understand it, you can try again with the online folks after a cool-down period. Not sure if that applies to Alex as well as the dating site, though.

Psyael
05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I love how in "The Snow Storm" Niko carries the bag over his shoulder instead of it just entering an invisible giant pocket. I love how escaping from the cops involves actually escaping instead of picking up icons or going to a pay-and-spray right under their noses.

Fuck you. I have to redo that mission again because my exit strategy was just to gun it across town and enter the Pay & Spray, because that's what you do in a GTA game, especially when there's helis involved. I expected the usual routine where the bunchup of police cars practically rams me up the driveway and get disinterested as soon as I enter, but instead I got "the cops saw you enter." Since the sirens went off, I thought if I waited long enough they'd move away, but instead they went shotguns ahoy and I exploded.

They should have at least made some sort of passing mention to this 'feature' so that the old players didn't get this rude awakening.

Sarcasmorator
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
The first time a mission tells you to go to the Pay & Spray, it tells you that it only works if the cops don't see you. Guess you missed it!

reibeatall
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I've just started doing missions for Florian/Bernie and am about to start one for Gambetti.

How close to the end am I?

Knight
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I've just started doing missions for this dude and am about to start one for this other dude.

How close to the end am I?
I think you're kinda close to the end, maybe 70-80%-ish? Depends what else you've completed. Gambetti is the only one left for me, and judging from his mission completion percentage, I think he has only 1 mission left.

I missed it the first time, but when my roommate got to the mission where you meet Florian/Bernie, it was titled Weekend at Florian's. Made us laugh.

Also, Packie is my favorite character, I wish there was more of him.

Psyael
05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I've seen in videos players hailing taxis and getting them to stop. How do they do that? I'm tired of standing in front of them and hoping they brake in time.

By the way, I used a free cab from Roman to go get some food this evening, and when I arrived, he got himself stuck. He was still there when I walked out, so I went up and held down the button to enter but instead Nico kicked out the driver and stole it.

So, I stole a car from my own cousin. I'm bad and I feel bad.

Merus
05-16-2008, 05:40 AM
On the Xbox 360 version, hold down LB. On the PS3 version, probably something like L1.

reibeatall
05-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Did nobody pay attention to the tutorials?

blinkpen
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
They should have at least made some sort of passing mention to this 'feature' so that the old players didn't get this rude awakening.

Hate to break it to you, chief, but they tell you that very specifically during the tutorial mission for the Pay N Spray.

Sarcasmorator
05-16-2008, 09:33 AM
So, I stole a car from my own cousin. I'm bad and I feel bad.

Don't feel too bad about it. Sometimes when you drop Roman off, he will punch you in the face and steal your car. Happened to me after darts once.

reibeatall
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Uhh, guys, I'm playing the Blood Brothers mission, and I'm starting to freak out at the choice you have to make here.

reibeatall
05-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Uhh, ok, so I think I broke my game.

I had done every mission available except for Dwayne's "Undress To Kill", because I hated that one. With nothing else to do, I finished this one, but right after I capped the targets, it saved, then I got killed. After I revived, I didn't get a call from Dwayne, and I didn't call him. Now I'm just wandering around doing nothing, because no missions are coming up. I've checked my e-mail, I've called everybody. Is this supposed to happen?

Knight
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Don't feel too bad about it. Sometimes when you drop Roman off, he will act like a jerk.
Sort of happened to me once, but it was only because I stopped too close to my parked cars, and couldn't get out. So he punched me in the face and shoved me out the door, then got out and walked inside his apartment.
Uhh, guys, I'm playing the Blood Brothers mission, and I'm starting to freak out at the choice you have to make here.
Yea, it's not an easy one. But, I wouldn't make your decision based on Francis' perk, it only works for 4 stars, and Kiki can already do 3, which is good enough for me. (I assume he can only do up to 4, since it didn't work for me at 6, or at 5 when I got my FIB Buffalo, and it would make it just redundant with Kiki's perk.)
Uhh, ok, so I think I broke my game.

I had done every mission available except for Dwayne's "Undress To Kill", because I hated that one. With nothing else to do, I finished this one, but right after I capped the targets, it saved, then I got killed. After I revived, I didn't get a call from Dwayne, and I didn't call him. Now I'm just wandering around doing nothing, because no missions are coming up. I've checked my e-mail, I've called everybody. Is this supposed to happen?
If you had no more mission's before Dwayne's last one, and you've done all the missions for Gambietti and Jimmy (I think Jimmy anyway, I had done all his before I finished off Gambietti) then you should get a call from U.L. Paper for your next mission, and then the rest of the game's story missions will all arrive through phone calls.

reibeatall
05-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Yea, it's not an easy one. But, [/COLOR]

I'm going into this game with no knowledge of anything that lies ahead. I ended up getting rid of Derrik for two reasons. 1, I didn't like him, 2, even after beating this mission, I'm only at 86% for Francis, so there's more missions for me to do.

Adrenaline
05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
You know you can move away from oncoming cars so they don't hit you while they're slowing down for you to jack them.

Knight
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm going into this game with no knowledge of anything that lies ahead. I ended up making a decision.
I've been playing it the same way, and I made the same decision for similar reasons. It's not so much that I liked Derrick, it's that I hated Francis. I felt exactly like bloodyinkpen did, Derrick isn't trying to be something he's not, while Francis is a scumbag who blackmails you into doing his dirty work for him. But I made my decision based on the mission completion percentage, which is turns out, doesn't matter, because you're going to be doing a funeral mission either way, and that mission counts for the last of Francis' percentage.

My roommate has been playing it with me, an since he's behind and doesn't really care, he's been making the opposite decisions just so we can see the differing outcomes. Like in Blood Brothers, when you kill Derrick, Francis makes a big scene and acts all dramatic about it, while when you pop Francis, Derrick just gets up and walks away.