PDA

View Full Version : Rant

Evil Dead Junkie
06-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Anyone read Chuck Palaniuk's new mind fuck?

A real return to form for him he's been sort of spinning his wheels lately. But in my opinion this book took him to a whole new level

doc_marten_abortion
06-04-2007, 04:52 AM
I don't know. On one hand, I enjoyed the rabies/poison aspect and the (spoiler deleted). But, the party crashing? I couldn't have been any more bored. I used to be the biggest Palahniuk fan, but ever since Haunted, I can't really get into his stuff. Sure, that was only one book back, but it really spoke loudly about his ability to write dialog. Each of his several characters -- Haunted, Rant -- are meant to be an independent voice with different stories to tell; but, to our disappointment, they all speak as if they experienced everything similarly and at the same, exact time.

Survivor is one of my absolute favorite books; Choke, too. But, until Chuck returns to standard prose, I don't think he's going to catch me like he used to.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
You see I have to disagree. I thought Haunted was complete shit and was the culmination of a long slow decline. I was kinda terrified that this would be all we ever got from Paluniuk the same old schtick of detached ironic speech about messed up things.

Rant to me felt vital and new and for the first time since Fight Club it felt to me that he HAD to tell this story.

And I can't disagree more with you on the subject of the narrator's voice. The one critism that you could never really deny as a Palaniuk fan was the fact that The White Collar worker in Fight Club, The Deformed Super Model in Invisible Monsters, The Cultist in Survivor, etc. etc. All sounded exactly alike.

To me this was the first time that Palaniuk was successfully able to write outside of his primary voice, and I thought he did it quite well all the characters really did sound different to me.

As for Party Crashing sure it wasn't on the level of Fight Club or a Culling song, but as it was not the primary (Or even the secondary) point of the book I can't say I cared.

And the last fifty pages IMO pushed this into some mad level of true greatness.

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I've got Choke somewhere around my apartment, but I've never read it.

doc_marten_abortion
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
You shouldn't need to disagree with me about Haunted, as I never actually finished it. The book was horrible.

You are correct in stating that the characters do sound similar, but they maintain that similarity outside of a single book. I don't mind that he continues to write the same character in different situations. I do mind when the characters in one piece of fiction begin to sound like they were all raised in the same barn.