PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Time

Torgo
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I am currently in Portland, Oregon. I left Denver late Friday morning and arrived early Saturday evening and have been spending a few days with various family.

Wyoming
Driving through almost the entire length of Wyoming has more or less confirmed my long-standing suspecion that it is indeed the most boring place on the planet. Incidentally, it's probably overall the junkiest, most rundown state in the country. No offense to anyone from there or currently living there, but seriously Wyoming, your state is borked if the nicest thing I can find is the Wal-Mart in Twin Falls.

Utah
The moment you hit Utah literally everything gets nicer. Except the having lanes closed off for apparently no reason. Very pretty state though. Insert token Mormon and/or polygamy joke here.

Idaho
It's like Wyoming, except slightly better! Seriously, kind of boring country. Boise is kind of unpleasent and smoggy looking from a distance. It's a good thing they got those potatoes, otherwise I wouldn't have much to say about it.

Oregon
Ah, the land of my birth... can I go yet? Eastern Oregon is shockingly desolate country: Very scrubby and not a lot to see, a stark contrast from the beautiful, verdent green that permeates the western side. The drivers here are absolutely the most insane people ever, probably because they're not allowed to pump their own gas.

Tomorrow at around ten I board a flight bound for Maui.

Calorie Mate
07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Screw that crap. Come to SF to hang out.

Balrog
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Oklahoma

An old Cherokee word meaning "Armpit."

TheSL
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Kansas
Kansas City is alright. Skip the rest unless you're partial to racism or flat plains as far as the eye can see.

Kishi
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Florida
Everything here is mind-numbingly flat, from the topography to the ocean itself. Unless you're making a trip to one of the few awesome locations like EPCOT or Key West, stay far away.

So Cali
I have people there. They take good care of me.

sraymonds
07-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Kansas
Kansas City is alright. Skip the rest unless you're partial to racism or flat plains as far as the eye can see.

WOO RACISM!

Speaking of, I was driving home from work, when I came across a truck full of twenty-somethings, and in the back of the truck, was a dude holding the Confederate flag so it would wave proudly in the wind. He had a beer in the other hand.

I live in Texas.

TheSL
07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Speaking of, I was driving home from work, when I came across a truck full of twenty-somethings, and in the back of the truck, was a dude holding the Confederate flag so it would wave proudly in the wind. He had a beer in the other hand.

There was this kid(~20ish) that I let stay at my house for a bit as a favor to my mom and he insisted on hanging his giant confederate flag in plain sight from the bedroom window.

Needless to say, that renter didn't last long.

poetfox
07-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Kansas
Kansas City is alright.
Plus, everything is up to date there.

R^2
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Iowa (http://interstate80iowa.ytmnd.com/), as seen from Interstate 80. 100% accurate.

Sheana
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Dammit, you beat me to Iowa!

...Yeah, that's pretty much 100% accurate.

Speaking as somebody with family in Iowa and surrounding areas, that's totally accurate. Nothing but flatness, corn, and vast skies as far as the eye can see. It's a landscape and sky that looks vast and empty simply because it is empty.

Whenever I go to visit family it always makes me start to wig out 'round about the third day.

Calorie Mate
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Washington, DC
Um, there's a lot of tourist-y stuff to see. Everyone you meet is from somewhere else, and most of them are wearing suits.

Virginia
Hey, there are a lot of trees here. Man, why is it so humid?

Nevada
If you like gambling and bright lights, go to Vegas. Otherwise, I hope you like deserts and rocks.

estragon
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Kansas

Hey. Don't forget Lawrence. Lawrence is pretty nice. I think it's definitely the hippest town in Kansas. Which is also a major problem: it's the hippest town in Kansas. And the residents don't all seem to realize that caveat is a significant demerit, leading to lots of hilariously pretentious midwestern hipster types. But it's a fun place to be. Plus, Free State Brewery = delicious.

TheSL
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey. Don't forget Lawrence. Lawrence is pretty nice. I think it's definitely the hippest town in Kansas. Which is also a major problem: it's the hippest town in Kansas. And the residents don't all seem to realize that caveat is a significant demerit, leading to lots of hilariously pretentious midwestern hipster types. But it's a fun place to be. Plus, Free State Brewery = delicious.

Yeah, Lawrence is generally too hip for its own good. Take in small doses.

VsRobot
07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
They should just nuke the center of the country, and leave the coasts. They're just dragging us down!

Torgo
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Then the coasts can wage war across the post-apocolyptic wasteland.*

*As seen on Talking Time

Sheana
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
The midwest does kinda suck, but it's where they grow our food!

And Calorie Mate, don't forget the extreme ghetto-ness that makes up a healthy chunk of D.C.

Torgo
07-10-2007, 05:59 PM
And now, I must depart.

See you next mission. (Read: Two to four weeks)

sraymonds
07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Who was that masked man?

doc_marten_abortion
07-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I spent 18 years of my 25 in eastern Oregon. The people drive that way in the hope that someday they'll hit a cow, ending the misery that is high-desert life. Western Oregon ftw... man, did I just do that?

Healy
07-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Man, you guys are disapointment central. When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about time traveling, or maybe a time machine. But it's really about stupid states you can visit. You all let me way down, man :mad:

Hey. Don't forget Lawrence. Lawrence is pretty nice. I think it's definitely the hippest town in Kansas. Which is also a major problem: it's the hippest town in Kansas. And the residents don't all seem to realize that caveat is a significant demerit, leading to lots of hilariously pretentious midwestern hipster types.

That sounds kinda like Bloomington, IN. How "hip" would you say it is?

Calorie Mate
07-10-2007, 08:29 PM
And Calorie Mate, don't forget the extreme ghetto-ness that makes up a healthy chunk of D.C.

I'm always afraid to go that way, so I pretty much block it out.

Anyway, West Coast rules, East Coast drulez, etc.

Schmidt
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
West Coast? Pffft. The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

(Learn to swim)

Mazian
07-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Driving through almost the entire length of Wyoming has more or less confirmed my long-standing suspecion that it is indeed the most boring place on the planet
I think some of that can be attributed to Interstate 80, the Most Boring Road On The Planet. Driving across Nebraska on 80 is, as I understand it, one of the levels of Purgatory.

estragon
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
That sounds kinda like Bloomington, IN. How "hip" would you say it is?

Well, it's really the best place in the state to see indie music (of both the rock and rap varieties . . . among others), although if you're looking for a big raging party KC is more likely to have it.

I dunno. It has nice coffee shops and restraunts and music venues and used book stores. Also, it's a city in Kansas where you can be a big queer and generally not have people freak out about it.

It's probably the only place in Kansas I think I could possibly live in a semi-long term way, although I have no intention of doing so and think the self absorbed hipness would probably start to wear on me after a year or two. I think this in part because a lot of my friends from my hometown fled to Lawrence instead of just getting out of the state altogether like me, and it definitely wore on them.

Moral of the Story: Get out of Kansas.

mr_bungle700
07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Pennsylvania

Cool historical stuff.

Maine

Trees and dirt and rivers and lakes. And moose. And lots of snow. There's ocean too. It's actually a pretty nice place to live though.

Massachusetts

Exactly like Maine but with less ocean and moose. Also Boston.

New Hampshire

Exactly like Maine but with less ocean and moose. No Boston.

New Jersey

My only experience of Jersey is staying in a hotel room for one night and then waking up in the morning and looking out the window to see nothing but lifeless gray buildings and smokestacks all the way to the horizon. I'm never going back.

New York

Either you hate the city or you love it. I lean toward the hate side.

Vermont

Burlington is full of hippies and musicians (which are often one and the same). Otherwise, see New Hampshire.

Schmidt
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Either you hate the city or you love it. I lean toward the hate side.
Does not compute.

mr_bungle700
07-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I just don't like people very much. It's one of the most exciting and vibrant places in the world, but ugh, the people.

Sheana
07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey now! I've spent a good chunk of my life living in New Jersey and near NYC.

NYC's pretty damn fab, I miss it terribly already. Though I will agree it's probably better to visit than live there.

As far as New Jersey goes, here's the secret: it's really just half a dozen big cities or so (Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, etc.) that are craptastic and full of smokestacks and dirt. A healthy chunk of the rest of the state is why it's the Garden State.

For instance, I used to live in an 80-mile circumference township that was nothing but forest, large hills, lakes and wildlife. Deer and black bears all over. Endless green at certain times of year.

Schmidt
07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I just meant your phrasing. "Sharp dichotomy! Which I am exempt from, as my feeling is a mere inclination."

shivam
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Of the big cities i've been in in the world, NYC is pretty low on the list. it's just too grey and cold and angry for me.

alexb
07-10-2007, 09:29 PM
It's probably the only place in Kansas I think I could possibly live in a semi-long term way, although I have no intention of doing so and think the self absorbed hipness would probably start to wear on me after a year or two. I think this in part because a lot of my friends from my hometown fled to Lawrence instead of just getting out of the state altogether like me, and it definitely wore on them.

Moral of the Story: Get out of Kansas.

They do have a pretty bitchin' little designer lamp store there. I've got a really cool wicker and glass floor lamp from it. Also, the English drug store is a great place to get digestives and such.

mr_bungle700
07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
I just meant your phrasing. "Sharp dichotomy! Which I am exempt from, as my feeling is a mere inclination."

I am sneaky like that.

nadia
07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Everyone needs to come up here and visit me. :( Hey, lower drinking age! Also, better beer.

Cuban cigars, too.

Calorie Mate
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
But I hate all those things!

...I do want to visit Canada, though. I hear it's like the US, "but cleaner".

Torgo
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
See you next mission. (Read: Two to four weeks)
*Or one day, ymmv

Apparently in the ensuing year and a half my landlord has setup a wireless network and has welcomed me to use it. The signal from this room is kinda poor, but hey, it's internets for free.

sraymonds
07-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh Torgo, glad you're back, but so much has changed. For the worst, I'm afraid. Ever since Calorie Mate and Tomm joined forces and staged a coup, things haven't been...I'm sorry, I've said to much.

Don't trust Brandon...

mr_bungle700
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CANMMMMPHHHH

*struggling and dragging noises*

Sarcasmorator
07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Torgo everything's great here!

Calorie Mate
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Has anyone taught him all 13 verses of the new "I swear my eternal soul to Calorie Mate" pledge yet? You need to whisper it everytime you visit the site now, you know.

Tomm, on the other hand, demands your first born child, and that a large boar be sacrificed in his honor every full moon.

So...y'know, not too much has changed, really. Enjoy your stay!

Tomm Guycot
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
The boars have to be named Ganon.

thomp538
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I mistrust anything that has unnecessary extra m's in it

Calorie Mate
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I believe he once told me that the first one was silent, thereby necessitating the existence of the second one.

thomp538
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I believe he once told me that the first one was silent, thereby necessitating the existence of the second one.
So would "Tom" be pronounced like "toe" or "two"? :suspicious:

Daikaiju
07-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Hm. Travel logs huh?

Pennsylvania
I'm from here so, while the historical stuff is neat, I've seen it ad nauseum.
Delaware
Long, flat and no sales tax.
Maryland
Baltimore is nice, kinda a SF meets Philly vibe. Traffic get abominable as you approach...
D.C.
Transit of the Gods and the Smithsonian & Mall. Everything else is CRAP.
Virginia
Woodsy! VA Beach area is nice in winter.
North Carolina
Had stuff stolen outta the car while passing through, all impossible to replace. Charlottesville can go @#$% itself.
Georgia
I dunno... Nondescript? Atlanta seemed in transition, though which way? World Of Coca~Cola was neat as was the underground shopping mall.
Mississippi
Lovely countryside and polite people.
Lousiana
Flat, swampy with a hint o' Tabasco! Also, seriously economically depressed. And this was a good 2 yrs before Katrina. Oh and they call counties, parishes. Crazy! (yes I know why, please refrain from the picking of nits)
Texas
Only been to Houston mainly, due to my brother's in-laws. Zoning laws seem nonexistant. Example? Toy Store/Adult goods/Public Library.
Missouri
St Louis seemed to be in decay. Hilly to flat in less than 60 seconds.
Kansas
Ever see those animation sequences with the long stretch of road lined by phone poles? Yeah.
New Mexico
Nice rock formations and the Holiday Inn in Tucumcari had ostrich stuffed mushrooms. Also, gas prices on the reservations are NUTS.
Arizona
More nice rocks and Flagstaff was charming. Only passing through so no Canyon visit.
California
East of L.A., wasteland, L.A. not much better. Public transit is a joke. And the constant haze is a like a smudge on your glasses that won't come off. I'll only visit again while my nephew lives there.
Ohio
Interesting, as you have rolling river valleys in the south and the familiar midwestern gridways in the flatter north. Drive-ins making their own root beer is a plus.
Illinois
Chicago is huge, vertically speaking. Monolithic, towering. Oh it's kinda big, dontcha know?
Wisconsen
Good portion is farmland. Milwaukee is the biggest small town you'll ever visit. Skip the Miller tour and go see Sprecher's Brewery instead. Also seek out the espinoge themed Safe House. It's spyadelic!

Sarcasmorator
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
California
East of L.A., wasteland, L.A. not much better. Public transit is a joke. And the constant haze is a like a smudge on your glasses that won't come off. I'll only visit again while my nephew lives there.

Well there's your problem. You have to go farther north. California is only desert wasteland in the south bit. They filmed RotJ's Endor scenes in the northern redwoods, for instance. Never go north via I-5 if you can help it, though.

Torgo
07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Lousiana
Flat, swampy with a hint o' Tabasco! Also, seriously economically depressed. And this was a good 2 yrs before Katrina. Oh and they call counties, parishes. Crazy! (yes I know why, please refrain from the picking of nits)
In Alaska they call counties 'boroughs'.

Sheana
07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
See, Los Angeles itself is pretty crappy. It's the suburbs and outer-lying areas, like Bevery Hills, Burbank and Santa Monica and so on that are interesting.

I hope I never go back to Georgia. I spent four years in Savannah for college, and Savannah is basically random spurts of lovely, colorful old Victorian houses and a handful of nice neighborhoods in the midst of hardcore whitey-hatin' ghetto. Seriously. The town would've died long ago if the college hadn't moved in, but the locals still resent the students a lot. At least several muggings or robberies or crimes against students every single week.

Huge creepy trees + lack of decent streetlights = suicidal to go out at night, even in groups.

I went to Washington, D.C. as a kid! Girl Scout trip. And yeah, outside of the government buildings and monuments, the Smithsonian museums and one or two other things, it's a pretty crappy city. We went to Ford's Theater (to see 'Kudzu: The Musical', no joke) and it was in the middle of a somewhat-ghetto.

Torgo
07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Obvious unfair conclusion to draw: Cities suck.

Lumber Baron
07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Public transit in LA's a joke? Screw that, I could walk outside my front door and take the bus to Downtown, Little Tokyo, or Chinatown for a quarter. Getting to the airport was three bucks with one transfer to a train line.

Tomm Guycot
07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah but LA doesn't make any claims to have GOOD public transit.

TheSL
07-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah but LA doesn't make any claims to have GOOD public transit.

I'd kill to have any public transportation here.

shivam
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
currently in washington dc. the roads here suck and it's stupidly hot and humid.

alexb
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the Eastern Seaboard in July.

sraymonds
07-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, well, welcome to Houston, TX between the months of March and November.