PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Tech Thread (Problems, Suggestions, etc.)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Any talk about emulators, image hosts, screenshot or video programs, etc. should go here.

Guides
A quick guide to encoding with MediaCoder (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=303602#post303602)

A basic guide to encoding with VirtualDub (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=308076#post308076)

Dealing with audio desync (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=338924#post338924)

Useful Programs
Camtasia (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp) is an excellent screen recording program that costs $300 unless you screw around with your PC's clock to keep the 30-day trial period going forever.

CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) is a less powerful recording program, but it's free, significantly simpler (and easier to use), and it does what it needs to. Also it's free.

MediaCoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/) is a very good program for recompressing video, plus it's easy to crop and resize.

VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) is also an excellent program that can record video and then do things with that video, but it's not for people who don't know what they're doing (like me, half the time).

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is a free program that makes recording and editing audio easy. It is good.

IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/) is great for taking screen caps and doing batch recompression, cropping, renaming, etc. to pictures.

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Thank's for starting this thread. My run for Wonder Boy III is probably going to be the PCE/TG-16 version. Problem: I've never used any emulator for that system. Is there a recommended emulator - perhaps one that also offers video? I'm running Windows Vista.

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
This is a good thread to put this here where all potential LPers are likely to see it:

Doing a Let's Play is a LOT more work than you are expecting. No, no, even more work than that.

They're fun to read and fun to write, but remember you not only have to play [your favorite game], but you have to show it off, which might mean playing sections that aren't your favorite, or playing it in a way you're not used to, or in a way you're not familiar with. Compiling screenshots and doing the actual write-ups are no small task, either.

I don't want to discourage anyone (because I do want to see lots and lots of these, and maybe do more myself in the future), but I also don't want to see you start one without knowing what you're getting into and then abandon it.

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Doing a Let's Play is a LOT more work than you are expecting. No, no, even more work than that.

For me, I'm using it as an opportunity to expose folks to a (pretty good!) game they might have otherwise passed up. That makes any amount of work worthwhile!

(and yes, there will be some sequence-breaking involved)

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
(and yes, there will be some sequence-breaking involved)

Just so you know, this got the same reaction out of me as if you had said "Brick, it's time for your free ice cream sundae and lap dance!"

Mr. Sensible
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, you guys have been setting the bar pretty high with these LPs. I'd hate to see a decline in quality after such a strong start.

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Thank's for starting this thread. My run for Wonder Boy III is probably going to be the PCE/TG-16 version. Problem: I've never used any emulator for that system. Is there a recommended emulator - perhaps one that also offers video? I'm running Windows Vista.
MagicEngine (http://www.magicengine.com) is a pretty great emulator, but it doesn't have built-in video taking aaand the full version will set you back about $23 unless you feel like donning the eyepatch. I don't know how Vista compatibility is, either, but there is a demo version you could try.

You might want to try Mednafen (http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/). I've never heard anything about it, but I don't keep tabs on the TG16 emulation scene. It's free, so it certainly couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Since I'm planning on doing some video for my own LP, I've been keeping an eye out for good programs. I've heard good things about VirtualDub, but I'm still in the midst of trying it out for myself so I can't say much about it right now.

This is a good thread to put this here where all potential LPers are likely to see it:

They're fun to read and fun to write, but remember you not only have to play [your favorite game], but you have to show it off, which might mean playing sections that aren't your favorite, or playing it in a way you're not used to, or in a way you're not familiar with. Compiling screenshots and doing the actual write-ups are no small task, either.

I don't want to discourage anyone (because I do want to see lots and lots of these, and maybe do more myself in the future), but I also don't want to see you start one without knowing what you're getting into and then abandon it.

I think a "How to LP" thread would actually be pretty great on its own.

TheSL
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM

-Play the game, take screenshots of interesting and/or important things
-Sequence break if possible. This makes things more interesting to people who have played before.
-Write up posts
-Occasionally ask for direction from the peanut gallery

Zef
05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
MagicEngine (http://www.magicengine.com) is a pretty great emulator, but it doesn't have built-in video taking aaand the full version will set you back about $23 unless you feel like donning the eyepatch.

Whaaaaa? When I got a legitimate key via the Magic Engine site, they were only charging 10 bucks for it. Inflation must have hit them hard.

Since I'm planning on doing some video for my own LP, I've been keeping an eye out for good programs. I've heard good things about VirtualDub, but I'm still in the midst of trying it out for myself so I can't say much about it right now.

From what I hear, VD is more of a video encoder and editor (at least, that's the major use I get out of it.) AFAIK, it's not a dedicated video capture app, though it can receive a streaming feed from other applications and re-encode on the fly.

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
-Play the game, take screenshots of interesting and/or important things
-Sequence break if possible. This makes things more interesting to people who have played before.
-Write up posts
-Occasionally ask for direction from the peanut gallery

It's not a bad format, but there is certainly a LOT more than can be done with an LP.

Sven
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
For me, I'm using it as an opportunity to expose folks to a (pretty good!) game they might have otherwise passed up. That makes any amount of work worthwhile!

That's the reason I'm doing mine. I just know for sure that my next one will be of a game that I can goddamn screencap without having to resort to a digital camera or cell phone (which means something that'll run under DOSBox or SCUMMVM).

Also: Try not to start writing when you're going to be out of town for a wedding a week later. :(

shivam
05-15-2008, 02:53 PM
It's not a bad format, but there is certainly a LOT more than can be done with an LP.

the civ one i'm planning is going to be wholly reader-driven, with explanation and asides from me as to why this or that decision was maybe not the best.

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM

I could certainly write one if people want, but it would just be "how to LP like Brickroad" and would disregard all the different styles that are possible. Plus it's fun to see people come along and play with our preconceptions the way Loki is doing (I think his is my favorite one here so far).

I really think that as long as people know what kind of work is involved (hint: it amounts to more than "play your favorite game and talk about it a bit") they can make it a good thread. I don't even necessarily think "know your game inside and out" is a prerequisite, since it certainly can be made fun to watch someone bumble through a game their first time.

TheSL
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
I was just explaining how I did mine. There's not much wiggle room for what to do in DW, but I've been pushing the boundaries pretty hard in regards to sequence breaking just to make it more interesting for everyone.

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I was just explaining how I did mine. There's not much wiggle room for what to do in DW, but I've been pushing the boundaries pretty hard in regards to sequence breaking just to make it more interesting for everyone.

Yeah, you're doing an awesome job, and it's actually a good example of a different style from mine. Someone pops up in your thread and is all "hey man get that sword first" and you're like "haha okay I'll try". That's good stuff. If someone had come up in my thread and been like "do the volcano before the sea shrine" I'd have ignored them, because I already had a plan and I wanted to stick to it.

I will offer this tip though: take WAY WAY WAY more screenshots than you'll actually use. Like, whenever something even remotely interesting happens, screenshot it. When you're in the habit of screenshotting everything, you won't miss anything. I've got something like 400 screenshots of FF1 on my hard drive now.

Related: if you use a gamepad, download Joy2Key (Google it for a link, probably) and configure it so your screenshot and savestate buttons (and maybe your pause/fastforward) are right there on the controller. Having "right bumper" be my screenshot button instead of F9 really smoothed things over for me.

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Related: if you use a gamepad, download Joy2Key (Google it for a link, probably) and configure it so your screenshot and savestate buttons (and maybe your pause/fastforward) are right there on the controller. Having "right bumper" be my screenshot button instead of F9 really smoothed things over for me.

I can't overstate how amazing this advice is. I'm definitely going to be using a gamepad for my LP so this will help a lot.

Parish
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Just so you know, this got the same reaction out of me as if you had said "Brick, it's time for your free ice cream sundae and lap dance!"
Honestly, the image of receiving a lap dance from an oily, silicone-filled stripper while scarfing down a sundae (melting rapidly under those hot stage lights) makes me feel kind of pukey.

shivam
05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
let alone receiveing a lapdance from djS...

Zithuan
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I will offer this tip though: take WAY WAY WAY more screenshots than you'll actually use. Like, whenever something even remotely interesting happens, screenshot it. When you're in the habit of screenshotting everything, you won't miss anything. I've got something like 400 screenshots of FF1 on my hard drive now.

I posted this link in PapillonReel's thread, but this is a potentially very useful piece of software: AnimGet (http://www.gmdsoft.de/menne/z3c/animget.htm)
"Basically the program will take a screenshot of the active (focused) window every 10 milliseconds and compares it to the last one it has taken. If it has changed it will be saved."

It saves the images in bmp format, so it can fill up a lot of space pretty quickly. I have about a Gigabyte of images (~3000 files) from less than 2 minutes of gameplay. It does ensure I can always get the exact frame I want though.

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
let alone receiveing a lapdance from djS...

You're too kind. No, really.

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
AnimGet (http://www.gmdsoft.de/menne/z3c/animget.htm)

What would be awesome is if there was an option to, say, only trigger this program if you're holding a certain button. That would make it super easy to get frame-perfect screenshots of action games (it's usually not a big deal in RPGs) without filling your hard drive up with a million pictures of Mega Man 3.

Rai
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Since this seems like a general help thread, lemme toss in my two cents:

1. It helps to know a game, but it isn't necessarily necessary to know it inside out. Or to show everything. No, instead, you should...

2. Make it interesting! Some of the best LPs I've read haven't even been strung together through screen captures. If all else fails, use the framework and setting of a game to do something off the wall and incredible. It happens, and when it does, it's brilliant.

3. When you can't do 2, then rely on audience participation. We like posting! We like posting about games! We even like playing games, sometimes cooporatively! This forum potentially combines all three, and that's why LPs are awesome. My Fallout thread (Which is looking to be further and further away) will be run based on the audience. Current examples also include Let's Play: Lone Wolf (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4408) and Dragon Warrior (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4228). And let me throw the idea out of, say, Oregon Trail with forum members on the fording journey to Oregon. Just throwing that out there.

4. Please, please, please complete them. Especially if they get off to an awesome start. Or at least hand them off. Nothing sucks worse than a hanging thread.

5. Have fun. These are, y'know, games after all.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
You might want to try Mednafen (http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/). I've never heard anything about it, but I don't keep tabs on the TG16 emulation scene. It's free, so it certainly couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

I know nothing of its TG16 emulation, but mednafen is the best NES emulator for OS X that I've found.

Speaking of OS X emulation, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with the Atari ST, Apple II/gs, or Commodore Amiga emulators for it?

I'm trying to decide which version of Bard's Tale to play and while I have much nostalgia for the Mac version (and it includes some nice use of Mac interface stuff like menus and drag and drop), it looks like those versions all have really nice color graphics with animation and such so I may go with one of them.

Mightyblue
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Then of course you get games that are stiflingly linear like Mystic Quest, but you can counter that by turning the entire thing into a massive parody.

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to decide which version of Bard's Tale to play and while I have much nostalgia for the Mac version (and it includes some nice use of Mac interface stuff like menus and drag and drop), it looks like those versions all have really nice color graphics with animation and such so I may go with one of them.

I'd go for the IIgs version (http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/game_pages/bards_tale.html) myself.

DANoWAR
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't know which OS X emulators to recommend to you, but:

Please, please, PLEASE!!! do the C64 or the Amiga version of The Bard's Tale.
Reasons: The Amiga version is the best-looking and best-sounding graphics-wise, and I don't know about the audio abilities of the Apple 2, so while the Apple and C64 version of the game are quite similar in the graphics department, I know the music of the C64 version rocks (nostalgically speaking).

You could even do animated screenshots for the battles and throw a few mp3 links around while your bard is making music. ;-)

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM

Reasons: The Amiga version is the best-looking and best-sounding graphics-wise, and I don't know about the audio abilities of the Apple 2, so while the Apple and C64 version of the game are quite similar in the graphics department, I know the music of the C64 version rocks (nostalgically speaking).

You could even do animated screenshots for the battles and throw a few mp3 links around while your bard is making music. ;-)

I was already planning on including mp3s (or midi files) of the bard's music every so often. Showing the animation would be cool, but I've never done animated GIFs before, so it might be too much work.

And with everyone recommending different versions, maybe what version I play will be the first piece of audience interaction. :)

I'd go for the IIgs version (http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/game_pages/bards_tale.html) myself.

That's an awesome argument, though it is inaccurate about it being the last port since both the Mac and the NES versions came out later.

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM

The IIgs version is on par graphically with the Amiga and Atari ST versions, while the sound is a fair bit better.

The Apple // version was good - for the hardware. There's only so much you can do with six colors.

dosboot
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Which image host is best to use?

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Photobucket is pretty excellent. Free accounts get 25GB of monthly bandwidth (apparently; I checked my stats and the bar goes up to 100 and since pro accounts are "unlimited", I'm not sure why that's there).

I'd actually like to know how much bandwidth Papillon and TheSL have used up, since they have the biggest threads hosted on Photobucket.

Mightyblue
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I use my blog spot to host my images, but that's because I'm leet.

PapillonReel
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd actually like to know how much bandwidth Papillon and TheSL have used up, since they have the biggest threads hosted on Photobucket.

So far I've only used up 6.5 GB of my monthly quota (out of 100), so there's definitely a lot to spare.

TheSL
05-15-2008, 09:27 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/photobucketstats.png

Gotta love the file sizes of 8-bit screenshots.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
The IIgs version is on par graphically with the Amiga and Atari ST versions, while the sound is a fair bit better.

What are you basing this on? (Not like sound matters a lot for a Let's Play)

djSyndrome
05-15-2008, 11:02 PM
What are you basing this on? (Not like sound matters a lot for a Let's Play)

The IIgs' sound chip was developed by Ensoniq - and had eight times as many voices as the Amiga's.

(also, personal bias!)

MoltenBoron
05-16-2008, 06:47 AM
I, too, would prefer the IIGS version, because when I was growing up the only computer we had in the house was a IIGS, and that's the version of Bard's Tale that I'm familiar with. These are, however, completely idiosyncratic reasons that probably shouldn't bear on your decision.

Of course, largely because we owned a IIGS, we've never purchased an Apple computer since then, which means I'm powerless to help you with your OSX emulation question.

Red Hedgehog
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Well, all the IIgs fans will be happy to know that it looks like that's the version I'll be going with.

Having never used a IIgs (and not any sort of Apple ][ since 1987) nor an Amiga, getting each of the respective emulators to run was kind of a pain - the Amiga especially because it needs just the right ROM for its configuration and then the graphics seemed shifted to the left (cut off) on the default 640 x 480 screen size and I couldn't figure out how to fix it other than making the screen bigger than it needed.

But anyway Sweet16 is a relatively easy-to-use IIgs emulator (because it makes it easy to specify a boot disk) and it provides the only built-in screen capture of any of the emulators I tried, even if that's just copying the current screen to Mac's clipboard.

Also, djSyndrome was right - the IIgs music is better.

Octopus Prime
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I mentioned this in a couple of other thread, and it may very well go without saying, but it really does bare repeating.

If you're using Photobucket, don't change the directories of your pictures after you post them. It's a bad idea.

Knight
05-16-2008, 01:33 PM

These are both great tips, I had to restart my Boktai play-through because I realized that my first run through the first two areas had very little good screenshots, and the second area had barely any screenshots at all. VBA already allows you to map the fast-forward/screenshot to the controller, but that program would be great for other emulators.

I'm glad I started to work on mine early, and messed around with settings. A problem I ran into was that if I had the Real Time Clock enabled for VBA, it caused a problem with running Boktai that made it realize that there was no solar sensor, so the game would lock up because of it, and I had to disable it. Now each time I start it up, I have to re-enter what the current time and date is. It's not that big of a deal, but it did take some figuring out to find what was causing it.

djSyndrome
05-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Okay, I have Magic Engine installed, a Hori stick working perfectly and a button to take screenshots mapped.

But.

I'd also like to take video. I tried out Camtasia, which records video fine, but has no options for audio. Any other suggestions for capturing both?

Zef
05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Hmm. I'd say, running a feedback loop from your audio output into your Line 1 input and recording it using your software of choice, then using VirtualDub to mix it into the video, but I've only seen other people do that. I haven't tried it myself. Sorry :/

Issun
05-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I seem to be experiencing some funky slowdown with Nestopia lately, and while letting it skip frames pretty much fixes things, the fact that it use to run just fine on the default settings is making me wonder what is causing the slowdown.
Anyone else ever run into the same problem?

DANoWAR
05-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I seem to be experiencing some funky slowdown with Nestopia lately, and while letting it skip frames pretty much fixes things, the fact that it use to run just fine on the default settings is making me wonder what is causing the slowdown.
Anyone else ever run into the same problem?

*cough* (http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_anti-virus)

*g*

reibeatall
05-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Guys, how do I make it so I press "print screen" and it saves to a folder, instead of copying to the clipboard?

Mazian
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Guys, how do I make it so I press "print screen" and it saves to a folder, instead of copying to the clipboard?
In Windows? Third party software. There are about eight hundred different screen capture programs, all of which seem to operate more or less identically.

Emulators tend to have screen capture hotkeys of their own, if that's applicable. (I don't know what you've got in mind.)

Gredlen
05-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Check out Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/). It's a nice image viewer as well as a great tool to get screencaps. You can also do batch conversions/renames, which is pretty awesome.

reibeatall
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I just checked download.com and found one, it's pretty generic, but it works for my purpose.

Mwahaha this will rock.

Mr. Sensible
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
This seemed appropriate for the thread...I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've noticed a few different "unofficial" patches for Fallout 2. Here's (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=16) the download page on No Mutants Allowed that I've been browsing through. Do you guys have any advice on which might be the most feature-rich/least buggy of these? I've got the original US version of the game.

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Can anyone recommend a good spot to host (not large) mp3s? I've been putting them on my old school server up until now and while I doubt my LP has enough people reading to tax its resources, I feel there's probably a better solution.

Sanagi
06-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Can anyone recommend a good spot to host (not large) mp3s? I've been putting them on my old school server up until now and while I doubt my LP has enough people reading to tax its resources, I feel there's probably a better solution.
Archive.org?

Tanto
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Some of the guys over at Overclocked ReMix use tindeck.com to display their WIPs. I don't know if that's a free service or what, but...

Edit: Nevermind, it's only for original music.

dosboot
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
There isn't any way to do strikethrough text or spoiler boxes, is there? There really should be.

PapillonReel
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
There isn't any strikethroughs, no, but you can do spoiler boxes by [encasing them in square brackets and whiting them out].

dosboot
06-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Sometimes it's nice to put an image inside a spoiler box though.

Tanto
07-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Visual Boy Advance has died on me.

I'm not sure what's causing this. It worked fine for several weeks, but now it crashes whenever I try to open it. It's happened a couple of times before, and reinstalling it seemed to work, but now even that's not helping.

Suggestions?

EDIT: All right, I've got it working. If prior history is any indication, though, I don't expect this to last.

Gredlen
07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Do you get any sort of error message when it crashes? If so, can you try taking a screenshot of it?

Fake Edit: Or not. Next time!

PapillonReel
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm considering doing an LP of Star Fox 64 at a later date, and I was wondering if there are any recommended emulators to use. Or would it be better to just hook up my brother's old N64 and record it from there somehow?

I won't be working on it for a while yet, but any info would definitely be helpful.

Gredlen
08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Project 64 and 1964 seem to be two of the best Nintendo 64 emulators. I recommend trying 1964 first.

kaisel
08-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I know someone asked this above, but I didn't see a really good answer, but for my Let's Play I was going to throw up some music (hopefully), and I was wondering if there's a good place to do so. Also, would it be better to let people be able to download music, or just stream it?

Mightyblue
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Okay, here's some test screens from SRT:W using no$gba 2.61. It doesn't look half bad, even in a mid combat animation shot.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Ionspark/srwtitle.pnghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Ionspark/srwwakito.png
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Ionspark/srwwastraygai.pnghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Ionspark/srwwmechname.png

SpoonyGundam
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
It looks fine, yeah.

But you should also consider how much longer it takes to print-screen and paste than it does to take other screenshots. It's not uncommon for people to be taking several hundred screenshots per update before sorting through and choosing which ones to use in the posts, so it could easily become an issue.

Mightyblue
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
It's an SRW game? Honestly, I probably won't be taking too many in-battle shots unless it's to show off a particularly cool mech or boss, and if there are any cool attacks I'll just dig up a YouTube video for it and link it. Most of what I'll be taking screenies of would be the status menus and the battle map, and I don't need to be taking dozens of screens of those at once.

Gredlen
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
You could try giving Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) a shot, if you want to take screenshots easily. You can bind a key to take screenshots of the active window. It's really handy.

Mightyblue
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I dunno. Just keeping Paint open in the background is easy enough. Maybe if someone was doing a DS game where they needed to do screens quickly and repeatedly they'd need something like that, but for something as slow paced as an SRW game I don't really need anything special.

Ample Vigour
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
It's not uncommon for people to be taking several hundred screenshots per update before sorting through and choosing which ones to use in the posts, so it could easily become an issue.

This. My test runs for the Christmas LP of UN Squadron have shown me that I need a trained chimp to hit the screencap button while I play I will never beat the second dogfight level.

SpoonyGundam
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
You could record it and take screenshots from that instead of the actual game.

Or you could just do a video LP with it.

turpinator
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm fresh new to this forum (today) and have been trying to get an N64 LP running for awhile. I can't seem to find a proper duo when it comes to recording AND playing at the same time, one thing or another either glitches out, or the video quality is really bad. Can someone help me with this?

Gredlen
09-25-2008, 12:31 AM
N64 emulation is a bigger pain than PSX emulation. Project 64 and 1964 seem to be the two best emulators, but some games work best (and "best" can mean anything from "tolerable" to "pretty great") with one or the other, depending on the plugin configurations. It can be a lot of annoying work if you're trying to play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, for instance.

Anyway, to start with, what game are you trying to play and what program are you using to record?

turpinator
09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, I was using Camtasia to record Jet Force Gemini. A friend told me it was better to use a hypercam.

Gredlen
10-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Alright, so I tried running the game and I didn't have any problems using Project 64 1.6 and Camtasia. Can you be more specific about what problems you're having and how you're running the game?

turpinator
10-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Well for me, the video is very choppy, the framerate is poor quality. When I try to use that "Disable display acceleration during capture" option to improve this, P64 or any other emulator can't handle it and either glitches out or blanks the playscreen on me. (the sound is still being emulated)

I was originally using Mupen 64 and it's built-in recording device, and that worked fine at first, but now it acts all wierd when converting the .rec files to .avi and glitches out during converting.

What I really need is a list of optimal settings so me and my friend can finally record this thing. T_T

Gredlen
10-02-2008, 02:21 AM
This (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Gredlen/videos/12/?secreturl=102391544) is what I got using Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 in Project 64 1.6, recording with Camtasia. I'm pretty sure I kept all the default settings the same, except for the resolution. Also, if you aren't already doing this for some reason: play windowed at 640x480.

As far as Camtasia goes: I didn't check the disable display acceleration during capture and I'm capturing at 24 frames per second with the default codec (TechSmith Screen Capture) one notch below the best compression. You might want to try sliding it farther down to faster compression if you haven't already and nothing else is working.

turpinator
10-02-2008, 02:59 PM
See, that framerate's abit choppy for me. But thank you for the help. I'll use those settings as a base, because it seems pretty stable, but I'll try and tweak it so I get a better framerate. Again, thanks for the help.

Nobuyuki
10-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Okay, stupid question time: how do I include more than 5 pictures in a post?

Rai
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Okay, stupid question time: how do I include more than 5 pictures in a post?

It's 10, actually, but there is a trick to it. You could splice together related shots into one super picture in your image manipulator of choice, allowing you to double or triple the amount of pictures of shown.

Beyond that, though, I don't think there is a way to surpass the limit.

Nobuyuki
10-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I was trying to post something with [ IMG ] tags and got a message saying I was only allowed 5 pictures. I'm not sure why it would be 5 instead of 10, but 10 would be fine if I could do that.

nunix
10-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Parish had tweaked some stuff earlier in the week to deal with spam; maybe that got hit at the same time?

PapillonReel
10-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I'm guessing he set it to 5 to try and curb the porn-spam we were getting a few days back. Still: 5-per-post. :( 's gonna be tough working around that one.

Octopus Prime
10-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Especially since Nightshade is looking to be pretty picture-intensive. I've got 60 shots for my first update alone.

Elfir
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, merge them when you can but it's gonna be a lot more posts than we're used to until this (hopefully) reverts.

Alixsar
10-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know a good gamepad I could get for relatively cheap? Papillion has inspired me to make a Starfox 64 LP, but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. I just tried playing it with my keyboard a minute ago and...just no. That cannot happen.

MCBanjoMike
10-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know a good gamepad I could get for relatively cheap? Papillion has inspired me to make a Starfox 64 LP, but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. I just tried playing it with my keyboard a minute ago and...just no. That cannot happen.

Just get a PS2 to USB adapter, that'll give you access to the best overall controller on the market!

Makkara
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Or this (http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-N64-2in1-Controller-Adapter/dp/8565000168/), for authenticity.

Edit: video LP plz. Star Fox 64 needs to be seen in motion.

Alixsar
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Or this (http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-N64-2in1-Controller-Adapter/dp/8565000168/), for authenticity.

I, stupidly, sold my N64 years ago. Alright, PS2-to-USB/Joy2Key it is.

Edit: video LP plz. Star Fox 64 needs to be seen in motion.

Don't worry; I got this.

Tanto
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for some kind of video capture thingie that could be used to take pictures of an actual N64 or Gamecube game? Consider that I'm pretty much an illiterate when it comes to computers, so "easy-to-install/use" is a priority.

I'm bumping up against the limits of games that a) I know well enough to LP, b) are meaty enough to justify screenshot LPs, and c) can be emulated decently...

Gredlen
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
You'll need a capture card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342847&bop=And&Order=PRICE) or USB tuner stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342849&bop=And&Order=PRICE). USB sticks, as far as I've seen, run $50 at the cheapest, while (decent) capture cards can be as low as $20. I've been planning on buying a capture card in the very near future, myself. They aren't any harder to install than a video card (which is super easy), but USB sticks are even simpler, so I guess that's the route you'd want to go.

If this is for your Majora's Mask LP (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=294599&postcount=1120), that game can be emulated incredibly well (I actually watched a video LP of it). I suppose a capture card/tuner stick would be more useful in the long run, though.

Brickroad
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I've got a USB jobbie now but I'm going to have to invest in a capture card. Maybe I'll order one tonight so I have it in time to start doing LBP.

Tanto
10-08-2008, 12:55 PM
You'll need a capture card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342847&bop=And&Order=PRICE) or USB tuner stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342849&bop=And&Order=PRICE). USB sticks, as far as I've seen, run $50 at the cheapest, while (decent) capture cards can be as low as $20. I've been planning on buying a capture card in the very near future, myself. They aren't any harder to install than a video card (which is super easy), but USB sticks are even simpler, so I guess that's the route you'd want to go.

If this is for your Majora's Mask LP (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=294599&postcount=1120), that game can be emulated incredibly well (I actually watched a video LP of it). I suppose a capture card/tuner stick would be more useful in the long run, though.

For Majora's Mask, it would be more for the controller than the actual system. I currently use an SNES controller with a converter for playing games on my PC, but I'm not sure how 3-D games will handle without the stick. (It might be fine, I'll have to play around with it.) And I've got a couple of other ideas for the N64/GCN.

Thanks for the help, though.

Alixsar
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
How exactly does this USB thingy work? I'm computer illiterate to the point where installing a capture card would be difficult, but it sounds like a perfect answer to the "Shit, how am I going to do Suikoden III?" question.

Gredlen
10-08-2008, 11:37 PM
From what I can see on the pictures, you connect the coaxial cable from the TV to the USB stick. I'm sure they come with software that will handle displaying what's on your TV on the monitor.

Alixsar
10-08-2008, 11:49 PM
So...if I bring my PS2/a TV into my computer room (because it'd be a huge pain to bring the computer upstairs), I can use it to capture images somehow? That's wonderful news.

Kirin
10-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Figures - I did a search fo "usb tuner stick Mac" and got some things that cost like $130. :P

Elfir
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
If anybody finds one of those recording/capture things that works really well, be sure to post which! I might look into upgrading my cheap capture card to something that can do video better later this year. The one I've got is really choppy.

Netbrian
10-12-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm having problems posting images for my LP -- when I embed the image in my thread, it looks compressed and distorted.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res10gez0/LotW/LP1/LegacyLP010001.png

However, when I copy and paste the link into a browser, it works fine. Are there any good ways around this?

Mazian
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
That looks like a normal aspect ratio to me.

Elfir
10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
The image looks the same in forum and on its own to me.

Octopus Prime
10-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Mayhap your monitor is all crazy?

SlimJimm
10-16-2008, 02:26 PM
So whats a good program to record yourself playing video game emulators?

Brickroad
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Camtasia is the best I've found. There's a free trial you can extend indefiniately if you fidget with your PC clock.

MCBanjoMike
10-16-2008, 02:42 PM

You can get some very nice quality movies using CamStudio, which is free, but the files it generates are HUGE. You's need some way of reencoding them afterwards to get the size down.

Gredlen
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Edit: I moved all this information to the OP.

Alixsar
10-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Camtasia (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp) is an excellent program, but it costs $300 unless you're willing to pirate it or put up with screwing with your PC's clock all the time.
CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) is less powerful, but it's free, significantly simpler (and easier to use), absolutely competent, and also free. You can choose which codec you encode in (as with Camtasia, of course), so you can decrease the file size you get. Personally, I'd recommend just sticking with the default codec or some other lossless codec, then re-encoding with MediaCoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/) or VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/).

Oh yeah, VirtualDub can also record video (in addition to being very useful for video editing). I haven't used that as much, though.

I messed around with CamStudio tonight and I love it. It's pretty easy to use (I had to fiddle with some settings but I expected that). I haven't tried using Mediacoder yet though...that may take some practice considering I know absolutely jack about video editing. But so far, in one day I got my game pad working and a way to record video. That's pretty good.

A question regarding putting videos on Youtube. What size do the videos have to be? I run Project64 at 640x480 typically, and I'm going to edit out the screen border with CamStudio (Starfox 64 has a thin black border so I'm gonna get rid of it) so it'll be slightly smaller than that. Do I need to shrink the video somehow to make it "fit" on Youtube, or does Youtube do that for you? What kind of format should I put my videos in so I can upload them? What the hell am I supposed to do with MediaEncoder to take my CamStudio video work on Youtube? I really don't know anything about this sort of thing, and some tips would be great while I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Gredlen
10-17-2008, 02:32 AM
I think YouTube recommends 320x240 Xvid (or Divx), at 30 FPS with MP3 audio. They re-encode stuff on their end regardless, but I guess that's closer to their settings and makes the process a little shorter. I'll try and whip up a guide or something on how to encode stuff with MediaCoder or VirtualDub.

SlimJimm
10-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I'll try and whip up a guide or something on how to encode stuff with MediaCoder or VirtualDub.

This would be so great because I have no knowledge of either video or voice recording and how to make it into a movie.

Gredlen
10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
A quick guide to encoding videos with MediaCoder

Things you'll need:
A video
MediaCoder
whatever codecs you'll be using

Step 0: It's been a little while since I installed MediaCoder, but I remember a splash screen and an annoying page that loaded every time I started it. If you're getting the splash screen, just go to File > Settings > Overall > User Interface and change the value next to "Show splash for specified time" to 0. As for the web page, there should be a check box on there about never showing it again. Click on that.

Step 1: Drag and drop the video into the list or click Add... > Add File > your video.

Step 2: Now click on the Audio tab on the bottom-left and click on the drop-down box labelled "Encoder" to select your codec. I like to use FAAC with an average bitrate of 128, MPEG version 2, and AAC as the container. LAME MP3 is also a pretty good codec.

Step 3: Next, click on the Video tab. Change your format to whichever codec you're going to use (I recommend either Xvid or H.264). If you're using Xvid, change the container to AVI. If you're using H.264, change it to MP4. Mode should be Two-Pass. Underneath that is the bitrate slider. Somewhere between 500 and 800 should be good. I usually go with 600. If you don't like the video quality afterwards, that's the number to change. You shouldn't ever need to go above 800 and video hosts are going to recompress it right back down anyway.

Step 4: Click on the Picture tab and uncheck Frame Rate. If you need to crop your video, you can do that here with Cropper. You can also resize your video here to 320x240 (do this).

Step 5: Finally, click on Start and watch the progress bar fill up, then start again, then fill up again. Now you're through. Unless you changed the Output Folder (in the top-right corner), your new video will be in the same folder as the old one. Congratulations! From now on, any video you dump into MediaCoder will use the same settings you just configured.

Alixsar
10-21-2008, 11:50 PM
A quick guide to encoding videos with MediaCoder

Things you'll need:
A video
MediaCoder
whatever codecs you'll be using

Step 0: It's been a little while since I installed MediaCoder, but I remember a splash screen and an annoying page that loaded every time I started it. If you're getting the splash screen, just go to File > Settings > Overall > User Interface and change the value next to "Show splash for specified time" to 0. As for the web page, there should be a check box on there about never showing it again. Click on that.

Step 1: Drag and drop the video into the list or click Add... > Add File > your video.

Step 2: Now click on the Audio tab on the bottom-left and click on the drop-down box labelled "Encoder" to select your codec. I like to use FAAC with an average bitrate of 128, MPEG version 2, and AAC as the container. LAME MP3 is also a pretty good codec.

Step 3: Next, click on the Video tab. Change your format to whichever codec you're going to use (I recommend either Xvid or H.264). If you're using Xvid, change the container to AVI. If you're using H.264, change it to MP4. Mode should be Two-Pass. Underneath that is the bitrate slider. Somewhere between 500 and 800 should be good. I usually go with 600. If you don't like the video quality afterwards, that's the number to change. You shouldn't ever need to go above 800 and video hosts are going to recompress it right back down anyway.

Step 4: Click on the Picture tab and uncheck Frame Rate. If you need to crop your video, you can do that here with Cropper. You can also resize your video here to 320x240 (do this).

Step 5: Finally, click on Start and watch the progress bar fill up, then start again, then fill up again. Now you're through. Unless you changed the Output Folder (in the top-right corner), your new video will be in the same folder as the old one. Congratulations! From now on, any video you dump into MediaCoder will use the same settings you just configured.

Dude, AWESOME. I have tomorrow off so I'm going to test this thing out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it work.

Alixsar
10-22-2008, 04:16 PM
So...for some reason, whenever I load my file in MediaEncoder, it messes up the colors. It's fine when I view the file with Windows Media Player but whenever I load it with VLC, the sound is there but there's no image. I tried encoding it with all of the settings you outlined but there was 1) no sound for some reason and 2) the colors were messed up. When I was trying to encode it, it wouldn't let me do it in H.264 so I used Xvid. I don't know if that helps at all.

I have no clue how to fix this. Maybe I'm recording the video/audio in the "wrong" format or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

Edit: Okay, if I click the "Copy Audio" box then I can get the audio going. But the colors are still wrong. And if I click "Copy Video" then it won't encode properly. Any ideas?

Gredlen
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Are you using FAAC for audio? Apparently AVIs don't support AAC audio, so you'll have to use LAME MP3 or something. I think Copy Audio takes the audio directly from the old video, so that's why that works. It's better not to use that.

As for the video, I'm not 100% sure what's going on there. Is the encoded video fine in Windows Media Player? If so, it's probably a problem with VLC. You could try uploading the video to YouTube and seeing if it looks ok there.

In the process of screwing around with MediaCoder's settings after your post, I came across some problems with Xvid/MediaCoder myself. Try setting Xvid's profile to Unrestricted, like in this picture (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/capture_22102008_165738.jpg), if it isn't already.

Zarathustra
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Is there a universally favored resource with all the technical info i might ever want pertaining to emulators, how they work, how to learn all the different functions and optimize things your way, etc? I'd like to do an LP at some point, but with all the know-how i'll need to gather for that, i think my primary concern is that most of the games i've tried to play through Zsnes just look off in an ugly way, and i know that's what all the video tweaking options are for, but i really don't have enough of a fundamental understanding of how resolution, screen ratios, buffering, scanlines et al work to set things right. The online documentation for this particular program seems pretty thorough, but it gives no hint as to whether there is any generally accepted "best" setting. I haven't had any noticeable issues with latency like some of you've mentioned, but i haven't experimented too much, yet, and zsnes is the only emu i've used in close to ten years (no gens yet), so it's baby-steps for sure.

I have played some genesis and master system titles on gametap, and they pretty much look perfect; There's no harsh pixelation, the screen is windowed in the client but is essentially running fullscreen, and it all looks like i'm playing it on the best tv available the year it was released (The Neo-Geo titles look washed out and far less vibrant than i remember them being int he arcade, but that might be nostalgia). So i know it can be done! I don't mean to sound lazy, like i can't learn myself up, but the online watering holes for this branch of the hobby seems to have an inherent shadiness and cliqueishness that assumes a base level of technical understanding and doesn't offer a lot of help for hopeless cases like myself.

Thanks in advance!

Dart Zaidyer
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Usually the best display option for any emulator is going to be the one that is the native resolution of the console, with no scanlines or stretching or those crappy 2xsai/hq2x filters. Regular magnification is fine if you need it to see. If the image is blurry, try toggling the hardware acceleration if there's an option for it.
Some emulators come with absolutely terrible default sound settings, so you'll need to fiddle with the khz, buffer and interpolation quality until it sounds "real".

Alixsar
10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Are you using FAAC for audio? Apparently AVIs don't support AAC audio, so you'll have to use LAME MP3 or something. I think Copy Audio takes the audio directly from the old video, so that's why that works. It's better not to use that.

As for the video, I'm not 100% sure what's going on there. Is the encoded video fine in Windows Media Player? If so, it's probably a problem with VLC. You could try uploading the video to YouTube and seeing if it looks ok there.

In the process of screwing around with MediaCoder's settings after your post, I came across some problems with Xvid/MediaCoder myself. Try setting Xvid's profile to Unrestricted, like in this picture (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/capture_22102008_165738.jpg), if it isn't already.

So by switching the audio lame MP3, the sound carried over just fine. But I still can't get the video to be the right colors. It doesn't make any sense. I tried uploading it to Youtube to see if it would work, but the colors are still off and Youtube did...something to it to make it look absolutely horrible. I tried encoding it again when I put on Youtube, and that version was encoded with H.264 with AVI as the container.

I tried using VirtualDub, and that program doesn't mess up the colors...the only problem is that it seems infinitely more complex and I have no idea what I'm doing. Help?

Netbrian
10-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Can I use bbCode to create an image that includes a link to another image? I know you can do this with HTML, but I'm not that great with it.

Mazian
10-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Can I use bbCode to create an image that includes a link to another image? I know you can do this with HTML, but I'm not that great with it.

No problem. [ url=http://whatever ] [ img ] image-goes-here [ /img ] [ /url ]

...except without all the spaces. (It's hard to write example BBcode in BBcode.)

Gredlen
10-24-2008, 01:18 AM
A basic guide to encoding videos with VirtualDub

Things you'll need:
A video
VirtualDub
The Xvid or Lame MP3 codecs, or whatever else you want to use

Ok, this guide is going to focus particularly on encoding a 2-pass Xvid video. If you want to use another codec, you can skip steps 3 and 3.5 (and if you aren't encoding two-pass, you can skip steps 7-9 and start encoding at 6.)

Step 1: Open VirtualDub and load your video. The first thing you'll notice is probably the two black windows sitting next to each other here. The one on the left is the video you loaded, while the one on the right is the video after any editing you've done. Clicking on the left play button (with the I next to it) will play the original video, while the other play button will play both. You can right-click either window and change the magnification if you can't get a good view of both.

Step 2: Click on Video. Full processing mode should already be selected. This is what you want. Now click on Compression. You'll see a window that looks like this.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/capture_23102008_200000.jpg

Step 3: Click on Xvid, then Configure. For profile, I like to use Advanced Simple @ L5. I'm pretty sure you could also pick L4 and it wouldn't make a difference. Under encoding type, select Twopass - 1st pass.

Step 3.5: Click on the "more..." button next to encoding type, then click on the "..." button to select a directory to save this stats file. The directory doesn't matter too much (just make sure you don't accidentally delete the file this will create). Click Save. It should end up looking like this.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/capture_23102008_201138.jpg

Now click on OK. This is the only time you'll need to do this step.

Step 4: Click on OK until you get back to the main window. Now click on Audio and enable full processing mode.

Step 5: Click on compression, then select a codec. I don't think the AVI format supports AAC audio, so you won't see any of those codecs here. Again, Lame MP3 is pretty good. Pick something like 128 kbps, then click OK.

Step 6: Now go to File > Save as AVI, name your video, check the little box on the bottom that says "Don't run this job now..." and click Save. This didn't do anything yet because we still have to set up the second pass.

Step 7: Go back to Video > Compression > Xvid > Configure and select Twopass - 2nd pass under encoding type. Now enter your target bitrate (somewhere between 600 and 800 should be good). If you see target size instead, click on that button to switch it to target bitrate. Now click OK until you get back to the main window.

Step 8: Go to File > Save as AVI, name your file whatever you want (you could even name it the same thing as the video for the first pass), make sure "Don't run this job now..." is still checked, then click Save.

Step 9: Press F4, click on Start, then sit back and watch your video encode.

Alixsar
10-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Okay, that's all pretty straightforward. I had to download the Xvid codec, but that was pretty easy. Two problems, though:

1) For some reason, MediaEncoder gave me the option to encode in LAME mp3, but Virtual Dub does not. I'm given these options instead:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Alixsar/help.jpg

Would any of those work instead? I tried using one of the other formats (Windows Media Audio V1) and it didn't work. I tried Googling LAME mp3, but that just led me to an encoder (or something) that was a little too confusing for my computer illiterate self.

2) Can I resize the video? When I was messing around with VirtualDub earlier I discovered that you can drag and resize the window, but I was wondering if there was a way you could input the dimensions manually so it would be a more precise measurement.

Gredlen
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
When you download Lame MP3, there will be a folder called ACM. Go to that folder and look for LameACM.inf. Right-click on that and then select install. That should be all you need to do. You can delete the folder after that. You should be able to use any of those other codecs, though.

As far as resizing goes, go to Video > Filters > Add > Resize, then click OK. Now enter the size, select Precise bicubic (A=-1.00), hit OK, and you're through. For the record, this kind of stuff is why you want video to be in full processing mode.

SlimJimm
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I was thinking of making a video but all this has scared me.

Gredlen
10-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I was thinking of making a video but all this has scared me.

It's actually pretty easy, once you try it.

Alixsar
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
When you download Lame MP3, there will be a folder called ACM. Go to that folder and look for LameACM.inf. Right-click on that and then select install. That should be all you need to do. You can delete the folder after that. You should be able to use any of those other codecs, though.

As far as resizing goes, go to Video > Filters > Add > Resize, then click OK. Now enter the size, select Precise bicubic (A=-1.00), hit OK, and you're through. For the record, this kind of stuff is why you want video to be in full processing mode.

Okay, cool. When I downloaded Lame mp3 there was a huge folder full of...stuff and I got downright scared. I have to get ready/leave for work in a bit, so I'll try that later tonight.

It's actually pretty easy, once you have Gredlen explain what to do because holy shit this would be impossible to figure out on my own. I still have no idea what's going on.

Fixed.

Brickroad
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it took me pretty much an entire Saturday to completely work out the logistics of recording a video and then narrating it, but now that I have the process down it goes pretty quick.

I want to take another crack at ustream because I have to get that to work. I need it like I need oxygen.

Gredlen
10-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I want to take another crack at ustream because I have to get that to work. I need it like I need oxygen.

I want to get this working so badly, too. It really bothers me that we couldn't get it going right.

Brer
10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
So, I'm considering trying a Let's Play if I can get the logistics worked out and feel happy about the product after a little test run. The basic problem is that the two games A) feel I know well enough to LP and B) I don't see in the archive are Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. The reason this is problematic, aside from those both being insanely ambitious games to LP, is that they're both very text-heavy, and so I've got a few questions and a general RFC from the rest of you:

Issue the first: Loads O' Text. Both games are text-heavy, and while there are awesome moments of voice-acting, in most cases the plot is advanced by stuff going on in the text window in the bottom 20% or so of the screen: not readable at all in something like youtube. So I have three basic ideas...

1) I could do a video let's play while trying to read the text to you. I enjoy (pseudo) dramatic reading but this seems problematic in several respects.

2) I can do decent-sized screen caps and then put the relevant text in the post, either unaltered or rewritten into a more narrative form (missing out on the bits that -are- voice-acted or the niftier cutscenes, as well as real-time narration).

3) I can try to post large enough images for people to read the text in the image, reducing or maybe even eliminating the need to retype it if I crop out the text window from successive screenshots to handle scrolling text (screwing up page formatting and again missing out on voice-acting, cutscenes, etc).

Right now, my thought is to do something like 2) but leavened with uploaded video for the cutscenes and MP3s for the music, that sort of thing.

Anyway, that's problem the first. Problem the second: My computer is very loud, and my microphone picks up its fans very clearly. Anyone know of software that can be used to record a filter pass (just the sound of the fans), then to edit that out of a recording pass (me talking over the fans) to leave just me talking?

Finally, any thoughts on a BG2 and/or PS:T Let's Play? Crazy Ambitious? Just Crazy? Other suggestions on how to handle the logistics?

Brickroad
10-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I guarantee if you try to read all the text in Planescape: Torment you will get burned out. There are conversations in that game that will easily fill an entire video.

If you do it, though, you have to do the voice for each character.

Brer
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I guarantee if you try to read all the text in Planescape: Torment you will get burned out. There are conversations in that game that will easily fill an entire video.

If you do it, though, you have to do the voice for each character.

If I did it I'd at least -try- to do the voice, though I'm no great shakes as an actor. And yeah, the amount of text is what makes me hesitant to even try a video LP with me reading it. We're talking, what, a million word + set of text overall?

Alixsar
10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
*Stuff*

Not to rain on your parade, but ringworm reserved Baldur's Gate 2 ages ago. As far as I know he's still planning to do it some day, so...yeah.

I wouldn't read the text for Planescape. You'd go insane. I'd say use screencaps and summaries for most of the game, and then do a video/narration for the scenes that you feel are important.

Also, thanks for the tips Gredlen. I got it to work. I think I'm going to redo the first level since I'm not entirely happy with the commentary I created to go along with it, but I now know how to do it. Thanks a bunch.

Gredlen
10-25-2008, 12:21 AM
My opinion on the voicing thing: Don't do it. I've seen a few LPs where it's been done and every time it ends up feeling a little awkward and makes me cringe. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people read everything that's written on the screen. It just seems like a lazy way to get around actual commentary.

I think the best approach would be 2, except maybe do videos of the important cutscenes or whatever, like you said.

As for the audio filtering, I've been interested in finding that out for myself, but I haven't had any time to look into it. As far as audio programs go, I hear Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is pretty fantastic. No idea whether or not it can do that, though.

ringworm
10-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but ringworm reserved Baldur's Gate 2 ages ago. As far as I know he's still planning to do it some day, so...yeah.
Weird that this just came up, I just spent the entire night finally starting the process of getting all my ducks in a row for a BG2 LP. I plan on officially hopping in the queue shortly.

Alixsar
10-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Weird that this just came up, I just spent the entire night finally starting the process of getting all my ducks in a row for a BG2 LP. I plan on officially hopping in the queue shortly.

Dude, yes. Take Jan Jansen.

Brer
10-25-2008, 02:49 AM

Fair enough. I'm going to continue trying to get -my- anatidae arranged in an appropriately linear fashion. As I have approximately zero experience, it may be awhile before I officially "claim" PS:T, so if someone can beat me to it, feel free.

And yeah, the Screen Cap + Written Text format seems best. I'm no great shakes as a speaker in most cases, so I think I'd do better limiting videos to cutscenes and the like. There's a PS:T soundtrack online, and probably some of the voice samples as well, so I could leaven the text with those for a little variety.

Alixsar
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
So. Does anyone have experience with Youtube? Thanks to Gredlen, I've been able to get videos the right size to easily be uploaded to Youtube. But once they're on Youtube, the quality immediately goes out the window and you can barely see what you're looking at. Any idea why this is happening?

Gredlen
10-26-2008, 12:06 AM
How bad is it? Can you link to it?

Brickroad
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
So. Does anyone have experience with Youtube? Thanks to Gredlen, I've been able to get videos the right size to easily be uploaded to Youtube. But once they're on Youtube, the quality immediately goes out the window and you can barely see what you're looking at. Any idea why this is happening?

Did it put a "watch in high quality" link under your movie? Because if so it might not be a thing.

Alixsar
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Did it put a "watch in high quality" link under your movie? Because if so it might not be a thing.

Not that I know of.

It's right here, Gredlen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sy1GyIEeoE) Do yourself a favor and turn your sound off. The commentary is terrible and I had a pretty bad run, so I'm going to redo the whole thing eventually anyway.

At this point I'm considering just ditching the video format altogether and doing the screenshot/text thing.

Balrog
10-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I can't get the PS2 emulator working on my machine(Vista). :(

Gredlen
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
dang that video is pretty dark
I'll try and screw around with some stuff and see if I can recreate your problem. How are you running/capturing Star Fox 64?

In the meantime, you could always try uploading to another video host, like GameVee (http://www.gamevee.com/) (very high quality) or Viddler (http://www.viddler.com/) (maybe a little better than Youtube, but it allows downloading of the original video).

I can't get the PS2 emulator working on my machine(Vista). :(
I haven't had much luck getting one running on XP, myself. A capture card is probably the best way to capture PS2 (and pretty much any other console) stuff.

Gredlen
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Alright, so I didn't have any issues replicating your problem. Apparently Star Fox 64, when emulated, is much darker than the original game. Combined with Youtube's compression, things get really hard to see.

You might be able to screw around with emulator/plugin settings until things turn out ok, but there's a definite, simpler way to fix this: the brightness filter in VirtualDub. Turn that up a notch or two before you encode and you get something more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiZrpP87ZY).

Also, I totally listened to the commentary anyway and I have two nit-picks. I know you said you were going to redo it, but I figure I should bring these up anyway, just in case. First, could you try and cut down on the lip-smacking? I don't mean to sound harsh here, because I have a habit of doing it sometimes, too. It's just one of those things where, once you hear it, you can't stop noticing it. Also, the game audio is really low. It's definitely important that the commentary be louder than the game, but I like to hear the game, too.
Aside from that, I really liked your commentary and I'm definitely looking forward to your thread once all this technical crap gets sorted out.

Alixsar
10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Alright, so I didn't have any issues replicating your problem. Apparently Star Fox 64, when emulated, is much darker than the original game. Combined with Youtube's compression, things get really hard to see.

You might be able to screw around with emulator/plugin settings until things turn out ok, but there's a definite, simpler way to fix this: the brightness filter in VirtualDub. Turn that up a notch or two before you encode and you get something more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiZrpP87ZY).

Also, I totally listened to the commentary anyway and I have two nit-picks. I know you said you were going to redo it, but I figure I should bring these up anyway, just in case. First, could you try and cut down on the lip-smacking? I don't mean to sound harsh here, because I have a habit of doing it sometimes, too. It's just one of those things where, once you hear it, you can't stop noticing it. Also, the game audio is really low. It's definitely important that the commentary be louder than the game, but I like to hear the game, too.
Aside from that, I really liked your commentary and I'm definitely looking forward to your thread once all this technical crap gets sorted out.

Lip smacking? Seriously? I didn't even notice. I'm going to have to go back and listen for it. I'll try to stop...like I said, I didn't even notice I was doing it. And yeah I was going to fiddle with the audio at some point too; I agree that it's far too low.

The brightness filter would work, the only problem is...well, look at the clip you uploaded. That's still pretty pixel-y. You can tell what's going on, but only just barely. If I'm going to do this thing, I want everyone to be able to see what's going on clearly. It's the kind of game where you really need to see it.

I'll try uploading it to a non-Youtube site and see how that works out.

But seriously, I smack my lips?

Edit: Ewww! You're right. I do. Ugh. I feel gross.

Torgo
10-27-2008, 12:07 AM
So guys, what free program might you guys recommend to enlarge screens without turning them into a blurry mess?

Mightyblue
10-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Gimp. Just do use the scaling option with the highest quality setting. You're going to lose some quality anyway, so unless you can find a standalone UHQ setting for use in Gimp or whatever there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

PapillonReel
10-27-2008, 12:39 AM
So guys, what free program might you guys recommend to enlarge screens without turning them into a blurry mess?

Is this for FFVI by any chance? What emulator are you using?

Torgo
10-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Is this for FFVI by any chance? What emulator are you using?

Why yes it would be. I was planning on having a preliminary post up this evening (or yesterday, as it probably is for all of you now), but when I went to enlarge the screens and... well, yeah.

I am using ZSNES.

PapillonReel
10-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Ah, I think I've an idea, then. If the images are small, maybe you can try using SNES9X (http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/2560/snes9x.html) instead to emulate it - it spits out nice, big screenshots for you to work with. For example:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/PapillonReel/FinalFantasyIII000.png

If it's too big, you could probably scale it down a bit, but otherwise it should take care of the image quality issue since shrinking them shouldn't cause any noticable degredation.

MCBanjoMike
10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
If it's too big, you could probably scale it down a bit, but otherwise it should take care of the image quality issue since shrinking them shouldn't cause any noticable degredation.

Don't, man, that shot is gorgeous. Imagine a whole LP full of them! It gives me hope for the children.

Torgo
10-29-2008, 12:12 AM
/downloads SNES9x

Uhh... okay, so what do I hit to take those nice screenshots? I'm digging through the options and not only do I not see a way to bind a screenshot key, I don't even see a screenshot key.

(Full disclosure: I have zero experience with SNES9x.)

If I had any idea this was going to be this difficult to get going, I would've started last week.

Alixsar
10-29-2008, 01:57 AM
I think I give up. I'm about ready to do a screenshot/text Starfox 64 LP. I can't get this shit to work, and I don't know why. I'm frustrated and annoyed beyond comprehension.

Gredlen
10-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I think I give up. I'm about ready to do a screenshot/text Starfox 64 LP. I can't get this shit to work, and I don't know why. I'm frustrated and annoyed beyond comprehension.

What's the problem now?

Tanto
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
/downloads SNES9x

Uhh... okay, so what do I hit to take those nice screenshots? I'm digging through the options and not only do I not see a way to bind a screenshot key, I don't even see a screenshot key.

(Full disclosure: I have zero experience with SNES9x.)

If I had any idea this was going to be this difficult to get going, I would've started last week.

It's F12, but you can change it on one of the menus. I'm using SNES9x for Mario RPG because the game doesn't run correctly on ZSNES for me...

Alixsar
10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
What's the problem now?

The same problems, I'm just starting to get frustrated by this whole thing.

Elfir
10-30-2008, 03:41 PM
After a lot of fiddling around I got audio to record with CamStudio. Buried in the sound controls for my computer, the audio was on mute only for purposes of recording. >_<

I bet once I get everything working, I'll discover I hate the sound of my voice. :p

Any picks for a four letter name to use?

Alixsar
11-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Hurray! Uploading to Viddler seems to fix the video problems (still a little dark but whatever)! Now if only I can find a way to make my commentary better/stop lip smacking, I'll be in business.

Gredlen
11-01-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm glad your problems have been (mostly) solved. How much did you turn the brightness up?

PapillonReel
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Any picks for a four letter name to use?

Spam.

Alixsar
11-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm glad your problems have been (mostly) solved. How much did you turn the brightness up?

I actually haven't had time to re-encode it yet; I've been pretty busy. But uploading the video to Viddler dramatically increased the video's quality, which was my chief concern anyway. I'm going to spend some time rerecording everything and then when I encode the new video, I'll probably pump it up a tiny bit and see how that turns out.

But I think the moral of the story is fuck Youtube.

Alixsar
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
So after much dicking around with CamStudio, I've discovered that I can't record game audio and my talking at the same time. Well, I can but the game's audio is very low. So...I need to figure out someway to either record sound and then add it to the CamStudio video later, or just screw it and go ahead and record as I play and the game's audio is just really low and you all need to deal with it.

Ideally I'd like to figure out a way to record audio later and then mix it into the video, but I have no idea how I can do that. But I was wondering if there is a way to do that, because I think it would really help the entire process. During my test run of Corneria, I felt extremely rushed because I had to record while I was playing. It's hard to think of all of the interesting things I want to say while simultaneously trying really hard to not fuck up.

Anyone have any ideas? I know how to record a video with CamStudio and encode it with VirtualDub, but how can I add my own audio to that video?

Gredlen
11-04-2008, 02:35 AM
My friend, have I got the program for you!
It's called Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and it is just fine. Recording and editing audio is easy with Audacity and it can be yours now for the low, low price of free.

I'll see about writing something up to explain how to do stuff with it. To be honest, I haven't used it too much yet, so I don't know everything, but the basic stuff is easy enough to figure out.

Kirin
11-04-2008, 09:31 AM
If you guys run into any serious issues about how something works in Audacity, I know one of the main developers on the project and could probably relay questions. Just FYI.

Alixsar
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
If you guys run into any serious issues about how something works in Audacity, I know one of the main developers on the project and could probably relay questions. Just FYI.

Sweet. I have to get ready/leave for work in a bit, but I'll mess around with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Alixsar
11-06-2008, 12:40 AM
So...okay, I see how I can open one of my video's audio tracks in Audacity and then record an audio track on top of that. That makes sense. But...what then? Should I mess around with VirtualDub first and then do...something with Audacity? Or do I do that first and then take it into Audacity and...save it or something?

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here. None at all.

Gredlen
11-06-2008, 01:09 AM
From start to finish:

Open up your video file in VirtualDub, go to File > Save WAV..., then open that up in Audacity. Then, in Audacity, go to Project > Import Audio and select your commentary audio. If the two sync up and their audio levels are fine (adjustable in Audacity using the audio slider on the left of each track), go to File > Export WAV (or MP3, but you need to have LAME MP3's lame_enc.dll). You can then use that audio file in place of the video's audio in VirtualDub by going to Audio > Audio from other file > the file you made with Audacity.

You'll need to save your video in VirtualDub now. If you've already compressed it, go to Video > Direct stream copy first. Otherwise, just follow the normal procedure.

Alixsar
11-06-2008, 02:52 AM
From start to finish:

Open up your video file in VirtualDub, go to File > Save WAV..., then open that up in Audacity. Then, in Audacity, go to Project > Import Audio and select your commentary audio. If the two sync up and their audio levels are fine (adjustable in Audacity using the audio slider on the left of each track), go to File > Export WAV (or MP3, but you need to have LAME MP3's lame_enc.dll). You can then use that audio file in place of the video's audio in VirtualDub by going to Audio > Audio from other file > the file you made with Audacity.

You'll need to save your video in VirtualDub now. If you've already compressed it, go to Video > Direct stream copy first. Otherwise, just follow the normal procedure.

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. I'm going to busy most of tomorrow, but I might have time in the evening. At the very least, I'll have time on Friday so I can try it then.

Knight
11-08-2008, 01:48 PM
So I've been trying to use Camtasia to do my Boktai LP in video format, but I can't get the audio to sound right. The game volume just blares out and I can barely hear my own voice. I've messed with the settings for about an hour now and I can use the volume slider to get the game audio under control, but then my voice is inaudible. Brickroad, did you have any trouble with this when you recorded Crytalis?

Gredlen
11-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Did you try adjusting your microphone's volume level? If not, try this:

If you have the volume icon in the taskbar, right-click on that and click on Open Volume Control.
Otherwise, go to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > (Device Volume) Advanced.
Now go to Options > Properties, click on Recording, then OK. Raise the volume slider for the microphone all the way up. You should be good after that. If it's too loud, you can always go back and lower it a bit.

turpinator
11-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Not sure if this is even the right place to post...

I was wondering about LP methods; Must you submit your LP in literary form like everything I've browsed through so far? Or are you allowed to submit it just as it is: a video LP. Is there some sort of marking precedure to these submissions or something? I'm still new to this sites' methods, really.

DemoWeasel
11-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Not sure if this is even the right place to post...

I was wondering about LP methods; Must you submit your LP in literary form like everything I've browsed through so far? Or are you allowed to submit it just as it is: a video LP. Is there some sort of marking precedure to these submissions or something? I'm still new to this sites' methods, really.

Brickroad has proven that video LPs are perfectly acceptable.

Sky Render
11-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Brickroad has proven that video LPs are perfectly acceptable.

Video LPs can be fun, but try to pick a service that's going to stick around for a while and doesn't require registration to view videos (YouTube, BlipTV, probably not Revver any more though). Half the SomethingAwful video LPs were put onto a now-defunct video site originally. Also, nobody likes having to waste an extra 5-10 minutes signing up for yet another account they'll never use again just to watch hilarity.

turpinator
11-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Don't worry, they're all on Youtube.

Sky Render
11-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Then I have no problem at all with video LPs. Incidentally and relatedly, does this forum software support embedded videos?

turpinator
11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, but it depends on the individual Administration preference. I don't know enough about this board yet to confirm.

ringworm
11-22-2008, 12:26 PM
The software does, Parish does not.

Sky Render
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I suppose I can understand that policy. Embedded media tends to be a lot more friendly to the video-skeptical or link-shy sorts. But it also tends to do horrible things to bandwidth.

The Dread Cthulhu
11-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm working on a screenshot LP, and I'm using IrfanView V4.20. Is there anyway I can change the default names of screen captures so that they're numbered? The format for just showing when I took it is really starting to grate.

Brer
11-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Is there any way to change the resolution at which DOSBox takes Screen caps? 320x200 is just too small.

Gredlen
11-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm working on a screenshot LP, and I'm using IrfanView V4.20. Is there anyway I can change the default names of screen captures so that they're numbered? The format for just showing when I took it is really starting to grate.
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be possible. It bothers me, too, but you can quickly and easily do a batch rename of all the files and I think the default formats them like "image###" where ### is an iterative number. As long as you make sure you're just doing a batch rename, this won't affect the quality or anything.

Is there any way to change the resolution at which DOSBox takes Screen caps? 320x200 is just too small.
This also doesn't seem to be possible, though my experience with DOSBox is pretty limited. Hell, I couldn't even change the resolution for some reason. You could try doing a batch recompress with IrfanView, though, and double the size. Here's what I got with that method:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/image005.png

Brer
11-26-2008, 12:32 AM
This also doesn't seem to be possible, though my experience with DOSBox is pretty limited. Hell, I couldn't even change the resolution for some reason. You could try doing a batch recompress with IrfanView, though, and double the size. Here's what I got with that method:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Forum%20Stuff/image005.png

First, thanks. It's not perfect but it beats the hell out of individually resizing each screen-cap with GIMP. Second, you're apparently fricking psychic.

Dart Zaidyer
11-27-2008, 01:45 PM
So hey, I've been messing around with getting videos to work on Youtube now that they've increased the size and quality. You can do widescreen 16:9 up to 720p HD now, which is actually not that bad.

One particularly nasty problem I've discovered, however, is that YouTube's processing system will automatically convert any 30.xx fps video in DivX/XVid/MP4/h.264 formats to 29.97 fps. For any game video, that amounts to desync, which is bad.
Let's say you've captured your video at around 30 FPS in a free program like VirtualDub. Sometimes, you'll get desync right away, and one of the ways to fix it is to change the video's framerate so it matches the audio duration. This is only a change of about a few fractions of a second (Like one video I had, which went from 30.0 FPS to 30.44). For a ten minute video this usually always fixes the problem.

But when you upload it to YouTube and it goes through their processing system, it's going to magically ignore those tiny decimals in your framerate and set it to 29.97, which is incidentally the more widely accepted measurement for "30 frames per second" in most video standards. Some video editing software will do this as well, like Windows Movie Maker.
This ruined a couple of my videos, until I spent an inordinate amount of time to rip them open and found out what happened.

So here's how to fix it: Pre-set the framerate to 29.97. If you get desync, change the audio duration so it matches the framerate. Since I didn't have any decent software to do this automatically, I did the following:

Used VirtualDub to Export the audio track as a separate file. There are probably other programs that can do this as well, by the way.
Opened the audio in Audacity, and used the "Change Tempo" effect. (This lets me change the length of the audio track without changing the pitch.) I made sure to set it to EXACTLY the length of the video. In my case, it was 497.2700 seconds.
Saved the audio and used VirtualDub to add it back into the video. This solved my desync problem.

Theoretically, none of this would be necessary if you have decent capturing software, or are capturing your videos at a higher or lower framerate than 30. But for poor schmoes like me who keep getting horrible desync when uploading to a host like YouTube, it's a worthwhile fix.

Netbrian
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Can anyone offer me some webspace for my Nethack LP? I'll be playing the Windows version, which means I'll be taking screenshots rather than just copying/pasting. I'm hoping to avoid free services like Photobucket.

Thanks!

ArugulaZ
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
So...okay, I see how I can open one of my video's audio tracks in Audacity and then record an audio track on top of that. That makes sense. But...what then? Should I mess around with VirtualDub first and then do...something with Audacity? Or do I do that first and then take it into Audacity and...save it or something?

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here. None at all.

What movie making software are you currently using? The better movie making utilities let you layer several tracks onto one project, which means that you can have the sounds from the video, your own commentary, and background music all playing at once. Discretion is important, of course... you don't want the other sounds drowning out your voice.

Now here's a question for you... how can I do a Let's Play segment with commentary from several people who happen to live thousands of miles apart? I considered playing the game in Kaiella, but when you've got the emulator AND an online service AND Skype AND CamStudio/Fraps all running at once, it slows the game way down and makes the footage look crappy. The only other idea I had was to follow the lead of MST3K and have both my friend(s) and I watch the pre-recorded footage and make comments about it. That way, the load on the computer is greatly reduced.

By the way, has anyone noticed the new widescreen format of YouTube videos? Is that some bullshit or what? Practically every video on YouTube that was uploaded before the change has big ugly bars along the sides. I feel like doing a Let's Play of Darius II (three screens!) just to thumb my nose at the dimwits who thought this was a good idea.

PapillonReel
12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Figures - I did a search fo "usb tuner stick Mac" and got some things that cost like $130. :P

Speaking of which, is there a Mac-friendlier way to take screenshots from a console that isn't exorbitantly expensive? I'm looking for an inexpensive means to take screenshots for my FFIX LP at a later date and I want to avoid emulating if at all possible, but I don't really know what to look for in a product.

Sky Render
12-02-2008, 12:24 PM
You might want to look into USB TV-in devices instead. I got one a few years back (called KWORLD DVD Maker USB 2.0) that has A/V and S-Video support, but it seems to not come with or have any Mac drivers. Still, I'm sure similar devices exist that are Mac-compatible which don't cost an arm and a leg.

EDIT: It seems that, since it is a USB video-in stream, you can use any supporting software for incoming video streams from USB, meaning it is Mac-compatible, but not in terms of the software that comes with it. Somebody suggested VideoGlide, but I'm sure there's equally good free options too.

Kirin
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, if anyone finds one (cheap tuner/TV-in for Mac), I'm hella interested as well. I'm still signed up for helping with the eventual SuikoIII LP, and short of Sony suddenly whipping up a universal PS3 screen-cap function for BC games (and we know how much they love supporting BC lately), I dunno how else I'm gonna do it.

Sky Render
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Try doing a search for "USB capture" on Amazon; that will give you a huge array of choices to work with, and I'm sure at least a few of them are Mac-compatible or can be made Mac-compatible.

The Dread Cthulhu
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be possible. It bothers me, too, but you can quickly and easily do a batch rename of all the files and I think the default formats them like "image###" where ### is an iterative number. As long as you make sure you're just doing a batch rename, this won't affect the quality or anything.

Vista seems resistant to the whole 'ease of use for renaming' idea, but I found an excellent program that does it automatically. Just in case anyone has the same problem, here it is (http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php).

Bongo Bill
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
IrfanView (http://irfanview.com/) has an excellent batch rename function, filled to the brim with features and such. Also it's got rather robust screen captures. It's a pretty amazing little program, it is.

MCBanjoMike
12-14-2008, 01:22 PM
So this might be a lost cause, but does anyone know of a good PSX emulator for Macs? My girlfriend has a MacBook Pro, and I'd like to use it to play Suiko II (not to Let's Play, just to play). I realize that you could install XP on the thing, but I'd really prefer to avoid doing anything that major to a computer that isn't mine. Anyone know of a good option?

Brer
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I should have thought of this ahead of time, but it turns out that combat in Betrayal at Krondor is incredibly hard to capture dynamically in just a handful of screenshots. Since I don't think I have the writing chops to make literally dozens of fights dynamic and interesting in prose form, I am desperately seeking a user-friendly Animated .GIF maker.

Specifically, one that can take 100+ or even hundreds of numbered images and let you specify the interval between "frames", then smack a nice idiot button that says something like "Make Mine .GIF" and spit out the finished product.

Red Hedgehog
12-14-2008, 05:56 PM
So this might be a lost cause, but does anyone know of a good PSX emulator for Macs? My girlfriend has a MacBook Pro, and I'd like to use it to play Suiko II (not to Let's Play, just to play). I realize that you could install XP on the thing, but I'd really prefer to avoid doing anything that major to a computer that isn't mine. Anyone know of a good option?

Last I checked, no, there is no good PSX emulator for the Mac.

Brer
12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I am desperately seeking a user-friendly Animated .GIF maker.Specifically, one that can take 100+ or even hundreds of numbered images and let you specify the interval between "frames", then smack a nice idiot button that says something like "Make Mine .GIF" and spit out the finished product.

Ah HAH! Found one. For any and all future LP creators, If ALL you want to do is take a ton of screen-caps and make a single animated gif with no transitions between frames and an even interval between each, then UnFREEz (http://blog.ashfame.com/2008/04/unfreez-tool-for-creating-animated-gifs/) seems to work quite nicely.

nunix
12-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Another OS is the only way; you really should be using pSX, and there's no OSX version available. However, there are both XP and linux ports, and the linux port runs without issue under ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, and 8.04, so if XP leaves you ooky, just grab that. Ubuntu will also run nicely with a much smaller partition than XP will.

Brer
12-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Another OS is the only way; you really should be using pSX,

Really? That's superior to ePSXe?

nunix
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
I've never had anything but heartache with getting ePSXe and its myriad plugins to work. pSX doesn't use plugins, which is hugely beneficial to just, you know, setting up and playing, and every game I've thrown at it seems 100% accurate (and as I play and replay the same games, I'm ridiculously sensitive to differences between hardware and emulation).

MCBanjoMike
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I really don't want to get into installing additional OSes on my lady friend's computer. I guess for now I'll just have to keep waiting.

[ :( ]

Sanagi
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
PCSX worked decently enough for me, if a bit slow. Your mileage may vary.

The sad thing is, nothing has ever topped Virtual Gamestation in OS9.

Makkara
12-15-2008, 03:43 AM
you really should be using pSX

It may be some issue with my computer, but pSX would always freeze a couple of seconds into every FMV in Suikoden II. I had to switch to ePSXe, even though it didn't look quite as good.

Red Hedgehog
12-15-2008, 08:07 AM

So true. :(

MCBanjoMike
12-15-2008, 09:44 AM
PCSX worked decently enough for me, if a bit slow. Your mileage may vary.

Do you think it would run at a decent speed on a last-gen MacBook Pro? Those are pretty decent machines, I believe.

Sanagi
12-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Do you think it would run at a decent speed on a last-gen MacBook Pro? Those are pretty decent machines, I believe.
That's certainly more processing power than I've put into it.

Adrenaline
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, I was screwing around with some stuff with video LP implications, using CamStudio and recording from a headset. The program can't record from my speakers, but with the volume up you get enough of the audio and my voice for it to be workable. Couple questions though.

The video lags behind the audio a little bit, where I recorded myself saying something right as I did something and on the video I say it a bit before. Anyone else deal with this? And what's a simple way to compress it for the Internet/how small should it be?

Adrenaline
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
No one?

Elfir
12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to get iDeaS, the DS emulator, to run Rhapsody. Trouble is the two layers that make up text seem to be backwards:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/trynchan/Rhapsody-is.png
This is what it looks like on the emulator.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/trynchan/Rhapsody-shouldbe.png
This is what it looks like on the DS. I went into Photoshop and messed with it to make this example but it takes way too long to do a whole LP with.

The top screen is supposed to have a brown and white cityscape background during this part and instead it's just brown. Not very important right now but might screw things up further in.

Anybody have experience with this emulator to give suggestions? Or have another to suggest but a quick glance indicates this is the best out there...

Alixsar
12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, I was screwing around with some stuff with video LP implications, using CamStudio and recording from a headset. The program can't record from my speakers, but with the volume up you get enough of the audio and my voice for it to be workable. Couple questions though.

The video lags behind the audio a little bit, where I recorded myself saying something right as I did something and on the video I say it a bit before. Anyone else deal with this? And what's a simple way to compress it for the Internet/how small should it be?

Oh, yes I did! Sorry for the late reply.

What I did was record audio from the speakers (which...um, apparently you can't do?) and then use another program (Audacity) to record myself and I mixed the two files together. Then, when I compressed the video with VirtualDub, I used that new audio track. Gredlen basically walked me through the whole process a few pages back in this very thread, so hopefully you can find a hint in there.

I did have the same delay problem when recording while playing (not to mention that it was hard to think of things to say while playing at the same time), so I recommend against doing that.

Indalecio
01-01-2009, 08:42 PM
It's 10, actually, but there is a trick to it. You could splice together related shots into one super picture in your image manipulator of choice, allowing you to double or triple the amount of pictures of shown.

Anyone know a quick way to do this? Combing screenshots into a super-picture? I've been fiddling with an Irfanview, but haven't hit upon a solution. I thought it might be simpler to ask. I also have GIMP, if its easier to do in that.

Mazian
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
(Note for reference: the limit is now 15 images/post.)
Anyone know a quick way to do this? Combing screenshots into a super-picture? I've been fiddling with an Irfanview, but haven't hit upon a solution. I thought it might be simpler to ask. I also have GIMP, if its easier to do in that.
I hesitate to recommend it, but I've used ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) and its "montage" utility to perform such tasks, with acceptable results (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=223526&postcount=369). The reason I hesitate is that it's quick at the expense of user-friendliness - it's all command-line driven, and it's pretty nasty syntax at that. However, after you figure it out once, it's a breeze.

For example, the invocation I used for that composite image was:
montage fe7_01.png fe7_09.png (...22 more filenames) -geometry +2+2 -tile 4x6 -background #000000 -fill #000000 fe_montage.png
...which, decoded, tells it to take the 24 files I gave it as an input, give every image a 2-pixel border (-geometry), make it a black border (-background, -fill), assemble the whole thing into 4 columns and 6 rows (-tile), and finally output it all to a new file, fe_montage.png. Even this is more complicated than it needs to be! For most LP-related tasks, you could skip everything but the input files, output files, and -tile option.

Indalecio
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
I'll give ImageMagick a whirl, if no one has any other ideas.

Meanwhile, I wanted to test how big my screenshots would appear here, or whether I'd need to resize.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/atoth88/Tactics_Ogre/image001.png

Thoughts? Too squinty?

Elfir
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/atoth88/Tactics_Ogre/image001.png

Thoughts? Too squinty?

All very legible to me.

Brer
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Thoughts? Too squinty?

It's a little squinty for me, but readable. I run a higher than average desktop resolution, so take that with a grain of salt.

Elfir
01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Good point. My stats:
1280x1024 on 19" monitor

Kirin
01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
It looks good to me, and comparable to things I've seen in other tactics LPs.

Netbrian
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm curious -- how does everyone compose their LPs before posting? My method is to take screenshots as I play, and then post copies of the screenshots into Word (I copy them from Infranview) as I write down the entry itself. I then run Infranview's batch renaming on the set of screenshots I decide to use (so as to separate them out properly), and go through the Word document, and replace each inline picture with the BBCode for a link.

It's kind of cumbersome to go back and replace the pictures with links each time, but I find it easiest to write entries when I have the screenshot in the document and I can see the layout.

How does everyone else do it?

PapillonReel
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Generally, I tend to work on an LP in phases, breaking the entry up into smaller chunks and working on them over the course of the day/week/whatever. This is mostly so that I (a) don't tire myself working over the update, and (b) don't have to worry about deadlines for computer usage (since the computers I tend to use for the actual LP writing are either on-loan while not in use or are stationed at school between classes).

First off is, naturally, the screenshotting (because what would an update be without them?). Mostly I try to aim for as many screenshots as possible while playing, taking them during the middle of the action or whenever there's dialogue. Once I've finished up playing through a decent enough amount of the game-in-question, I head over to photobucket and get to uploading them all. If I can, I'll try to get as many updates worth of screenshots as possible at once, so it's not uncommon for me to be as far as, say, three or four updates ahead in this stage if I can squeeze it in - usually the actual playing is the fun part, so I can generally play as far ahead as I want without growing too tired.

Once I'm done that, I take a small break, maybe grab a bite to eat or get to work on something else, and come back to it later on once I've rested a bit. Then I get to composing the actual update, where I open up TextEdit and type it up while copy-pasting the links to the images where they're needed (note that I don't actually bother with sorting/combining images at all - with the 15/post limit and the abundance of images taken, I can normally sort through and choose images at my own leisure without worrying about space). After anywhere between 45 minutes (A Link to the Past, Star Fox) to 2-3 hours (Bahamut Lagoon, Sword of Seals), the update is ready to roll to post into the thread. I tend to combine the editing with the actual posting to save time, and so far it's worked out well enough.

As it is, this is a pretty simple approach to the process, but I find it works well. The important part is breaking it up, I find - doing it all in one, huge chunk tends to wear you out as you write it up and can make later, longer updates enough of a chore that they'll slow to a crawl. By breaking it up into smaller parts and spreading it out, you can generally keep your stamina high and avoid burn-out almost entirely.

That's mostly just me though, but I thought I'd share anyway.

EDIT:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/PapillonReel/Picture1-10.png

Fun Fact: This is what two SRPG LPs does to your photobucket. D:

Adrenaline
01-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I've just been writing the updates on the reply to topic page, using the preview button to make sure it looks fine. Though I haven't done anything particularly heavy yet.

Tanto
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
The important part is breaking it up, I find - doing it all in one, huge chunk tends to wear you out as you write it up and can make later, longer updates enough of a chore that they'll slow to a crawl. By breaking it up into smaller parts and spreading it out, you can generally keep your stamina high and avoid burn-out almost entirely.

Indeed. I always give myself a day or so in between playing the game, sorting the screenshots, and doing the writeup. My only rule is that I try to do the writeup all in one sitting if I can -- my attention span being what it is, if I start procrastinating I tend to lose the thread.

I actually start composing things in my head long before actually playing, though. There are parts of the SMRPG LP that rattled around in my head for months before I actually put them down. (You can probably tell which ones they are, too.)

Brer
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
How does everyone else do it?

This is still my first LP, but so far I'm TRYING to do it like this:

-Play a discrete "chunk" that I can block out in my head (either in storyline or gameplay progress terms) while taking screenshots. Because I number my screenshots fairly carefully, my notes are usually pretty minimal (what music to place where, where I found specific items, etc).

-Weed combat sequences (anywhere from 20-200+ images) into their own folders and place them at the appropriate point between the rest of the images. This reminds me where they fit.

-Weed unnecessary/duplicate screenshots out, then start renaming/resizing them in IrfanView and uploading them to Photobucket. When I get to a combat folder, I weed it, make the rest into .gifs and use UnFREEz to make an animated .gif, then continue on. At the end I'll have everything numbered like, BAK-Ch02-0167 through -0282.

-Once all the photos are up I actually write the post in the forum, pasting [img] tags over and just changing the numbers at the end because they'll all be almost the same and I can just tab over to photobucket to see what I'm using where. I'll copy the post over to open-office as needed so I don't lose my work, and I smack "preview post" and log back in as necessary so I have a sort of ghetto WYSIWYG thing going.

-Oh, and I also have the Midkemian Gazetteer (http://www.shoalcreek.com/feist/midgaz.htm) open, as well as Raymond E. Feist's website for when I need some bit of information, as well as the original riftwar trilogy, but this isn't something most people have to mess with.

-Finally, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to try for a semi-consistent post length. I've found for whatever reason that the eye just recoils when you see a whole string of max-length posts on a page as opposed to more, smaller posts. I'm curious to know what other people think of that, BTW.

Octopus Prime
01-17-2009, 01:56 AM
It depends on the game itself, but generally, I have Word and the emulator both open, and I write up everything I do, going back and adding pictures later.

That doesn't work so well for more action-y games, so there I do it the other way around.

Elfir
01-17-2009, 02:54 AM
I play until I reach a good stopping point or get sick of playing (the latter often comes before the former but yeah), then go through the screenshots either right then or a day or so later and upload it all to photobucket. That way I can write on any computer, sometimes the one at work. Writing generally happens on yet another day. Uh, this probably explains why my take on FFX is so batshit insane sometimes. Anyway I write it all in notepad and have most of the coding I actually use memorized by now.

I wouldn't dare write it in the forum post box though. I've had cats close browser windows while walking across the keyboard and computers spaz out on me, the ability to save is really necessary.

Pajaro Pete
01-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I play a dungeon or so, take screenshots, make any notes (though usually I have enough screenshots that I don't have to take nay notes), dig through the screenshots to see which ones I want to use, put them together using paint.net, then hit reply and start typing.

The Dread Cthulhu
01-17-2009, 03:15 AM
The way I've planned mine is to take many screenshots, rename all of them, do the writeup in a Word doc using the names of the pictures rather than the actual pictures themselves and then upload the pictures I want onto Photobucket.

Indalecio
01-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Mine hasn't started yet, but what I've been doing is..play a battle while taking screenshots, and at the end, put the screenshots into their own folder. Also, in that folder, I've got a text file of notes from that particular battle(strategy, deaths/restarts, etc)

Bongo Bill
01-17-2009, 09:24 AM
For my next LP, I'm planning to just record a video of every session, and take my screenshots from that video. If I run across something that needs a video to show off fully, I'll have it right conveniently there, but I don't anticipate it will be necessary.

Violentvixen
01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
My game lended itself to LP incredibly well, but it took me a week or two to streamline things. Once you've figured out the easiest way to organize your thoughts for each update it'll work really well. As mentioned below, having a document open to take notes in is key, and I highly recommend doing a quick outline before playing.

It's kind of cumbersome to go back and replace the pictures with links each time, but I find it easiest to write entries when I have the screenshot in the document and I can see the layout.

Kind of related to what you said, but with Photobucket you can just mouseover the image you want to use and it will pop up the IMG tag which you can paste in directly. That saved me a ton of time.

It depends on the game itself, but generally, I have Word and the emulator both open, and I write up everything I do, going back and adding pictures later.

That doesn't work so well for more action-y games, so there I do it the other way around.

I usually make a few notes beforehand about things I want to mention and definitely need screenshots of in this update, and as OctoPrime noted I'll add things.

Netbrian
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
For my next LP, I'm planning to just record a video of every session, and take my screenshots from that video. If I run across something that needs a video to show off fully, I'll have it right conveniently there, but I don't anticipate it will be necessary.

I was thinking about doing this too, but what worried me is the video compression -- I'm not sure I'd be able to get good screenshots off of a video.

However, there may be a lossless format I can record to (I have no idea) that avoids this problem.

shivam
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
as long as you have photoshop, you can use the deinterlace feature to get good screens from video captures.

Bongo Bill
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I was thinking about doing this too, but what worried me is the video compression -- I'm not sure I'd be able to get good screenshots off of a video.

However, there may be a lossless format I can record to (I have no idea) that avoids this problem.

Well, it would be different if I were playing it off an emulator. The way I see it, though, the video compression will just serve to hide the artifacts from running it through an ancient RCA cable.

If you choose to do it this way, VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) can deinterlace video on-the-fly with a number of algorithms, and when it takes a screenshot of the video, it will be deinterlaced according to that algorithm. Avoid piracy!

Brer
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
So, has anyone here had to open multiple photobucket accounts for a LP? I doubt I'll hit the bandwidth cap but I'm at 16% of my file limit and I'm not sure I'm that far through the game yet. I may be cutting it a bit fine.

PapillonReel
01-23-2009, 03:26 AM
So, has anyone here had to open multiple photobucket accounts for a LP? I doubt I'll hit the bandwidth cap but I'm at 16% of my file limit and I'm not sure I'm that far through the game yet. I may be cutting it a bit fine.

Not yet, but I probably will soon. As it is, Bahamut Lagoon and Sword of Seals really did a number on my photobucket acount and I'll probably hit the cap soon once FFIX starts running. Admittedly, I could probably go through my images again and delete the ones I didn't use, but maybe later.

Octopus Prime
02-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Are there any known problems with NESter running Spiritual Warfare, or do I just have a crummy game file that would need to be replaced?

DANoWAR
02-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Are there any known problems with NESter running Spiritual Warfare, or do I just have a crummy game file that would need to be replaced?

Well, I don't know about NESter, but NEStopia did run 99,99999% of every game ever released. Including Spiritual Warfare.

Lucas
03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I was attempting to play a bit of Rolan's Curse via Visual Boy Advance, but I get a few minutes into the game and suddenly the inputs stop working - I press a button and nothing happens, but then a few seconds later the last couple commands input are repeated ten times in quick succession. Anyone have an idea what the problem is, or what's a better emulator for GB?

PapillonReel
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Visual Boy Advance is a little wonky when it comes to Gameboy games, though that's the first time I've heard of that particular problem. If it turns out to be a recurring problem, you might want to give KiGB (http://kigb.emuunlim.com/) (Mac OS ver.) (http://www.bannister.org/software/kigb.htm) a chance sometime - I've been using it on-and-off for years now and it's performance hasn't let me down yet. I'm using it right now for my OoS/OoA Let's Play and the quality is pitch-perfect.

Lucas
03-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out. Since you're already using it for an LP, I assume the screenshotting works well.

PapillonReel
03-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Yep. The screenshot button doesn't blank the window like it does in Visual Boy Advance (the Mac version at least), so there's no potential interruption in gameplay while getting the pictures you need. I really can't recommend it enough.

Brickroad
03-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Anyone know a Genesis emulator I can use to do 150% speed videos?

PapillonReel
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Anyone know a Genesis emulator I can use to do 150% speed videos?

Off of the top of my head, have you tried Generator? (http://www.squish.net/generator/)

Brickroad
03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Off of the top of my head, have you tried Generator? (http://www.squish.net/generator/)

Hmm... I downloaded it but it doesn't seem to work at all.

Kishi
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Yep. The screenshot button doesn't blank the window like it does in Visual Boy Advance (the Mac version at least)

The Windows version of VBA doesn't do that, but the Windows version of KiGB does have all sorts of headache-inducing motion blur. So, I guess it's just down to your OS.

DemoWeasel
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a question for you guys; This won't be a TT thread, but I'm thinking about a Rhythm Heaven LP where I talk about the songs before and after playing each of the 50, but I can't seem to find a good way to sync up audio/video correctly. Any suggestions?

Eddie
04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey!

I was wondering, has anyone has tried doing guest commentary on a video here yet?

The reason I'm asking is because I've been fiddling early with techniques to use on a future Final Fantasy Tactics LP (not until the queue is opened up, of course) that I want to do, and CamStudio has not been treating the audio very well (and FFT is not a game you want to have poor audio in).

Rather than try and fix it, I was thinking about doing commentary over the videos. I tried recording while commenting, and the results were less than impressive, given that I'm not naturally a strong speaker (I'm no DeceasedCrab, that's for sure). Thus, recording audio over the finished video would probably work best (as I could devise a script then).

Screenshot'ing FFT is certainly an option, but I've got this crazy idea to do stages with 'conditions' (or I suppose in more appropriate FFT Advance terms, "laws") that reader's suggest, and without a video, who could tell if I'm cheating? It would also allow some... unique... conditions to be given, that exist outside of the game. Of course, some of the best conditions (for viewers, anyway) require doing audio commentary while playing...

But that brings me back to the original problem of sound quality; a video without commentary is going to highlight the problems with recording sound I'm having. So, I thought that 'guest commentary' would work as a good solution; I can splice in the sound and music, and also having a wingman to talk about FFT would make my poor speaking skills more tolerable.

I'm currently running my copy of FFT using ePSXe. It plays just as well as it would on my PS2, aside from the sound stuttering occasionally. Would getting a capture card improve recording performance? I'm just wondering if the problem might be CamStudio (it could be a hardware issue on my side as well). And to bring it back to the beginning, has anyone figured out a way to do guest commentary?

Any suggestions on what direction I could take this LP (Screenshot, live commentary, guest commentary, etc,) would be appreciated too (preferably through private messages). I've got what I think are some great ideas, so I want to make sure I don't screw any future FFT LP up!

Thanks!

- Eddie

Elfir
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I recall Brickroad doing commentary over someone else playing some space shooter type game. He should have some advice on that...

FFT seems like a rather slow game to do videos of, but it might work I guess.

ChefCthulhu
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
For FFT if done with video I would highly recommend either heavy editing or sped up.... What would be really fun would be a FFT game done with a sports telecaster comentary.

As far as doing it I find one of the best ways is to record what you want and play it back as you coment on it. You can use anything to really capture the audio. However key is to start audio recording and then not the start of the video with something like stating "start" as you press play button. This gives you a good reference point for clipping audio to match your video.

Also a nice thing to do is to have some sorta of buffer/title footage. Generally the game intro in which to do any introduction/information. This should be recorded seperately from the main footage and then added in.

I hope that wasn't too convultued. The really simple way though is to pull up windows audio recorder. Start your game and begin talking.

Knight
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey!

I was wondering, has anyone has tried doing guest commentary on a video here yet?

Yea, Brickroad did it with Cybernator: 'Experimental LP Valken' - Let's play Cybernator!
(http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=032BC7F0255B4E01)
MCBanjoMike was the player, he recorded his playthrough with ZSNES, and Brickroad loaded them up and recorded it with his commentary. It was an interesting experiment, but I think it could have benefitted more from having Mike commenting in there too, or if Brick had played it before. Since Brick hadn't played the game before, a lot of times he just doesn't know what's going on or what the purpose of some things are.

But in your case, it seem like you want someone to do commentary alongside you, which I think could work. I guess you could use a voice chat program, like Ventrillo or Skype, and synchronize the playing of your videos so you can comment on it together. I'd suggest getting someone who's knowledgeable about the game, but maybe has a different playstyle than you, so you can have some contrasting views on how something should have been done, or why you aren't using enough ninjas.

FFT seems like it might be a bit boring to watch though, since some battles just seem to drag on and on. I'm not sure how you'd get around this though.

Alixsar
04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
FFT seems like it might be a bit boring to watch though, since some battles just seem to drag on and on. I'm not sure how you'd get around this though.

This. Use screenshots and edit judiciously.

PapillonReel
04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
This. Use screenshots and edit judiciously.

I'm going to have to second (fourth?) the request for screenshots here. FFT is a slow game, and RPGs generally don't lend themselves to Video LPs very well because they tend to drag out a long time due to the amount of filler they have. You might be better off just doing a more traditional LP instead if only because you at least then have the option of cutting all of that stuff out.

Alternatively, if you're looking for ways to make it interesting, might I suggest you try a challenge run? (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197339/11496) SCCs in general are quirky and make for... interesting runs, and you can poll everyone on the class they want you to trek through the game with. Best part is, if you've got a gameshark you can open it up to the special classes as well...

Eddie
04-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I was planning on off-screening a lot of the filler (random battle, shop trips, etc.) but you guys might be right about the length of battles being a problem. I'll record myself doing a few of the battle tonight to see how long they take. I imagine anything other 10 minutes is going to be a tough sell, which is why I was thinking about adding the gimmick...

... well I've still got other ideas. If I do this I'd like it to be more interactive than "Here's the next battle guys!" I was thinking doing the game with Ramza and 5 randoms, and letting viewers pick what classes they all are, but I'll think about it some more. I've got nothing if time!

- Eddie

Edit: One thing about a Challenge Run: it doesn't really show off the game! I want this to be an LP for everyone, and I'm afraid if I say, do an 'all Mediator' run it won't keep the interest except of those already in love with the game. Well, I'll still think about it

TheSL
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
One thing about a Challenge Run: it doesn't really show off the game! I want this to be an LP for everyone, and I'm afraid if I say, do an 'all Mediator' run it won't keep the interest except of those already in love with the game. Well, I'll still think about it

I don't think that's a problem on Talking Time.

Bongo Bill
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think that's a problem on Talking Time.

I will surprise you.

TheSL
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I will surprise you.

And I hate Persona 3, what of it? There's always the couple people that don't like any given game, and they more than likely wouldn't read a LP of the game anyways.

Bongo Bill
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
And I hate Persona 3, what of it? There's always the couple people that don't like any given game, and they more than likely wouldn't read a LP of the game anyways.

Me too!

The point is not that I don't like it, but that I haven't played it extensively. I exist!

TheSL
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
You should get down to GameStop and pick up the PSP one for $10 if you've got a system already.

Regardless of how the author approaches the game, this thing is going to last forever.

PapillonReel
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Edit: One thing about a Challenge Run: it doesn't really show off the game! I want this to be an LP for everyone, and I'm afraid if I say, do an 'all Mediator' run it won't keep the interest except of those already in love with the game. Well, I'll still think about it

Not true! (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4320) As long as you take the time and explain all the important details (how the game works, what the job system is, what's going on in the story, etc.), you should be able to show off the game to those new to it while still drawing in the older fans with the lure of a challenge run. Plus: the chance at (slight) audience participation! What's there to lose?

Alixsar
04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I will surprise you.

Me too! Let's be friends!

And I hate Persona 3, what of it?

What? I don't even know you anymore, SL.

Me too!

Actually, let's never be friends ever.

Speaking from experience, the RPG genre is hard to LP. Especially tactical/strategy-RPGs. But it can be done. I recommend you do what I do now: take screenshots for the majority of it, but if there's something going on that illustrates a point you've been writing about or something, make a video. If it's a short battle (like that 1-on-1 fight with Ramza and that one guy), then film it. Just mix it up and do both...but use screenshots mostly. The penultimate challenge of LPing is making a game interesting to someone who hasn't played it. That's twice as hard when the game is slow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Eddie
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You guys have given some awesome advice! I'll try some stuff out on my own and see what looks good.

Thanks!

- Eddie