PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand RottenTomatoes.com

Ghost from Spelunker
07-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Rottentomatoes.com has become some sort of huge internet authori-tah on everything, so when I tried it out my first impression was a little bit of terror. This site is nothing but links to other sites?

Is there something I'm missing about rottentomatoes.com?

Why can't I just go to the sites they link to on my own?

alexb
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
It's an aggregator, like gamerankings.com. It compiles the reviews from a bunch of other sites and tells you what percentage of the reviews were overall positive or negative. Movies with less than 60% positive reception are dubbed "rotten." It's a way to get a bird's eye view of how a movie's been received.

BEAT
07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Which is why it's such a shame that birds wouldn't know a good movie if it hit them in the face.

In my experience, critics aren't much better.

alexb
07-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Then what's the difference to you? If critics are full of shit, what difference does it make if you learn the opinion of one or the general consensus of 100?

Red Hedgehog
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I find rottentomatoes to give me a pretty good indicator of what I'll think of a movie.

If a movie has a 70-100% rating, I'll enjoy it. Maybe not love it, even if it is in the high 90s, but definitely come away thinking it's a good movie.

If it has a 40-70% rating, I may or may not enjoy.

If it has less than 40%, I won't like it.

There are a few exceptions, but it worked the vast majority of the time. Of course, after looking at the aggregate, I read a couple of the review summaries to see what critics thought were the salient features and then read a review or two from critics I trust.