PDA

View Full Version : FC 21: Wii Fit

Parish
05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Compare your BMI here!

Wii Fit
Nintendo | Wii | Virtual scales | 2008

Yeah, the game doesn't arrive for another day, but I figure in the meantime we can all pinch our rolls of fat with some calipers and cry a bit.

reibeatall
05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm more interested in the getting fit part than the losing weight part. I'm fairly skinny/average as it is, but I'm pretty unfit. I need balance and yoga!

djSyndrome
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm more interested in the getting fit part than the losing weight part. I'm fairly skinny/average as it is, but I'm pretty unfit. I need balance and yoga!

Hey man, I used to be you. Once you turn thirty, it all goes downhill. Into your gut, that is.

(and yes, I'm picking this up on Wednesday)

reibeatall
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey man, I used to be you. Once you turn thirty, it all goes downhill. Into your gut, that is.

Everybody tells me that. Since I'm 21 and invincible, I don't believe them.

djSyndrome
05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Serious question: does Wii Fit support two players simultaneously (with two boards, obviously)?

Parish
05-19-2008, 11:48 PM
It really is true. I turned 30, and turned fat. It's depressing.

(The fact that at the exact same time I started dating someone whose eating habits disrupted my own and stopped walking a mile to work every day had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.)

mopinks
05-19-2008, 11:50 PM
this game seemed ridiculously expensive until I realized I paid almost as much for Mario Kart 64 ten years ago.

and that didn't even come with a big heavy slab!

djSyndrome
05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
It really is true. I turned 30, and turned fat. It's depressing.

So when does the hair loss start? Because I'm not even going to try fighting that one.

(The fact that at the exact same time I started dating someone whose eating habits disrupted my own and stopped walking a mile to work every day had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.)

I used to bicycle nine miles each way to work, but that job is long gone and now I've joined the commuting masses. Driving only exercises my left leg, so I'm trying to counter this by walking two miles a day during a break at work. Problem: it's damned hot right now, and the only thing worse than being fat is being sweaty and fat.

Alixsar
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
So when does the hair loss start? Because I'm not even going to try fighting that one.

For some of us, it started years ago. So count your lucky stars it hasn't happened to you yet.

P.S. It's not that bad, really. You just need to figure out a way to make it work.

reibeatall
05-20-2008, 12:00 AM

You really are future-me.

I used to bicycle nine miles each way to work, but that job is long gone and now I've joined the commuting masses. Driving only exercises my left leg, so I'm trying to counter this by walking two miles a day during a break at work. Problem: it's damned hot right now, and the only thing worse than being fat is being sweaty and fat.

No complaining about the heat unless you live in Texas, Arizona, or Nevada.

Guy
05-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I used to bicycle nine miles each way to work, but that job is long gone and now I've joined the commuting masses. Driving only exercises my left leg, so I'm trying to counter this by walking two miles a day during a break at work.

You might want to hop the two miles on your right leg to balance out all that excercise your left is getting.

PapillonReel
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
You might want to hop the two miles on your right leg to balance out all that excercise your left is getting.

Like how bowlers work out their subdominant arm to balance out the other?

Sprite
05-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Anyone have any reading suggestions on formulating a good workout schedule? At least to make sure I don't hurt myself?

Egarwaen
05-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Driving only exercises my left leg,

Unless you're driving a standard, I'm somewhat curious as to how this could possibly work.

TheSL
05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
No complaining about the heat unless you live in Texas, Arizona, or Nevada.

You've obviously never been to Kansas. Its hot as balls here for about 5 months straight.

djSyndrome
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Unless you're driving a standard, I'm somewhat curious as to how this could possibly work.

Yes, I drive a manual. And with six speeds, that clutch leg is busy.

Zef
05-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Wii Wiig: confirmed.

Parish
05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Age 21. Had to go from lustrous shoulder-length hair to my current caesar to hide the thinness.

Brickroad
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Age 21. Had to go from lustrous shoulder-length hair to my current caesar to hide the thinness.

But do you still have the handlebar mustache?

Zef
05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Not to derail the lamentations on the relentless decay of our fleshy part of frut, but does anyone know what sort of activities the "game" has? Can it be calibrated? (I keep remembering that one 10 year-old girl that was called "fat" by it.) I'm mildly interested, mostly for my relatives and for the gaming potential, but I do go to the gym every weeknight and I wouldn't look favorably upon the Wii Board if it mistook my muscle mass for dead weight.

ringworm
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't look favorably upon the Wii Board if it mistook my muscle mass for dead weight.
Well then you will be disappointed, because it uses the BMI and it's major failing is that it does not take into account muscle mass.

Brickroad
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
fleshy part of frut

I don't have anything really to add except that I get this joke and thank you sir for making it.

Ample Vigour
05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I, too, would like to jump on the Bad Candy-remembering bandwagon.

Calorie Mate
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

According to practically every member of my family, I've inherited one grandfather's hairline (short, but not even close to balding), and the other's frame (tall and skinny as a pole, even after 75 years of minimal exercise).

So, in summary: nyah nyah!

Parish
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
But do you still have the handlebar mustache?
Had to trim it to a Hitler.

Patrick
05-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I was wondering what this thread was going to consist of. So far I am thoroughly enjoying the aging/balding tangent.

alexb
05-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Try living it and you may feel differently...

locit
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
This would be funnier if I weren't newly 21 with lustrous shoulder-length hair.

Sprite
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
So far most of the men in my family have had nice long hair their whole lives, with little thinning. They've also stayed fit, with only a little chubbiness.

Most of them also die from a degenerative illness or horrific accident, though, so I guess it's a trade-off.

reibeatall
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
This would be funnier if I weren't newly 21 with lustrous shoulder-length hair.

This is me.

My grandfather is SO bald that I have no doubt I'll soon be the same way. Ugh.

Ample Vigour
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
This is me.

My grandfather is SO bald that I have no doubt I'll soon be the same way. Ugh.

Transition gracefully to the shaved look. More men should shave their heads; it's a good look.

reibeatall
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Transition gracefully to the shaved look. More men should shave their heads; it's a good look.

No way, man. If modern media has taught me anything, it's that I can fight destiny.

All I have to do to avoid being bald is to... uhh... fight god or something.

Maigo
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Good luck. I'd like to get one tomorrow too, but since every major chain sold out of pre-orders about two weeks ago, success looks elusive. If the average scalping price of ~$150 on eBay is any indication, this may be in shortages like the Wii itself for an extended period.

My plan: Wake up. Check bestbuy.com. I don't think they took pre-orders on online-sales-for-in-store pickups, which operates on a different stock from in-store sales and online sales. So, hopefully they have untouched stock there.

djSyndrome
05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Good luck.

I would hope 'luck' isn't a factor; I pre-ordered mine months ago.

Ample Vigour
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Were these preorders out of a desire to start working out? I got the Xbox aerobics game for novelty's sake when it hit $10, but I can't see novelty moving all those $80 units.

Ilchymis
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
It'l be interestig to see how well these help people keep the weight off. I've been doing better just by riding my bike and trying not to eat too much, but it never hurts to have a little extra incentive.

TheSL
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I was tempted to buy this (http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Nintendo-Game-DANCE-AEROBICS-POWER-PAD-GAME_W0QQitemZ300225726647QQihZ020QQcategoryZ13997 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and play along with you guys since its a little more affordable.

Parish
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Man, those eBay prices. Now I feel like a retard for canceling my preorder over the weekend.

KCar
05-20-2008, 08:48 PM

While I back this up in most cases, some dudes just do NOT have the head for this. I know I don't.

Thankfully, my grandfather on my mom's side had a full head of hair until his late 70s. I understand that's where you get it from, which is good because I'm won't be ready to say goodbye to this mop for some time.

Also - I totally have a five dollar preorder on this baby (the rest to be paid on pickup). I'm somewhat a-feared that won't be enough to secure me a copy.

Fortunately, I'm in a part of the country where yuppie-dom and physical fitness is not as overbearingly omnipresent as elsewhere. There should be less demand here than elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to the benefits of yoga without the lifestyle. Huzzah!

Ample Vigour
05-20-2008, 09:15 PM
While I back this up in most cases, some dudes just do NOT have the head for this. I know I don't.

I feel for guys who can't shave it. It's a classic look if you can pull it off; it's very kind to heavier guys.

I'm looking forward to the benefits of yoga without the lifestyle. Huzzah!

I seem to have ruined my back at the gym today, so it looks like I'll be doing a lot of yoga without Shigeru to walk me through it. :(

Sprite
05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I pre ordered at my local Best Buy about three weeks ago.

My roommate is trying to get me to scalp it on eBay but I know I'd feel dirty if I did. Dirty and unfit.

Maigo
05-21-2008, 05:53 AM
My plan: Wake up. Check bestbuy.com. I don't think they took pre-orders on online-sales-for-in-store pickups, which operates on a different stock from in-store sales and online sales. So, hopefully they have untouched stock there.

Thwarted. At 6:45 am, I checked bestbuy.com. Their site is now updated to say "Shipping: Sold Out" and "Store Pickup: Not Available." The usual option to order and wait is not even there. =/

Amazon, Target, Circuit City, and Toys R Us are all showing the same--no option to order and wait. Only Circuit City shows they have stock in their physical stores though ...which doesn't help me, since I have enough Best Buy credit for the full cost.

nunix
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Picked mine up today at a Fred Meyer's; no line, no hassles.

Now to see how easy it is to hide from the weight/BMI admonishments, and what sorts of rarely-used muscles I can pull!

EDIT: Initial impressions: pretty good!

Slight irritations:
* Have to unlock stuff. I can understand for some of the yoga positions, but balance games? Fie!

Uncertainty:
* The board feels narrow. I have pretty wide shoulders and my normal stance (yes, I already thought of the jokes) doesn't quite fit on the board. Not sure how much this will matter in the long-run for most of the exercises. Doing the soccer heading was kind of difficult for this reason though. I hope they release a wider board, especially if someone winds up putting out a snowboarding game or something (which is pretty much the first thought I had for it, so I can imaginary-board during the summer).

Nifty:
* The board is really responsive, I was impressed. There's a step-aerobic rhythm game thing, and it knows which direction your foot leaves the board (forward, backward, left, right).

* My fit age is only +3 (am 26, showed 29) so.. that's a lot better than I was expecting. ;P

I'm planning on using WF as just part of normal exercise routine; I can walk or bike pretty well on my own, but can never seem to get self-motivated enough to do regular training-type exercises. Hoping the game aspect helps with that (DDR sure did).

cables
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I have been training for weeks in preparation of today, I hope it pays off!

SamuelMarston
05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Since my job requires hard manual labor in the graveyard shift, I'm pretty fit. My mid-section is where I'm hoping to use this to trim. I don't end up using those abs much at work, so they are falling behind the rest of me in terms of tone.

That and the beer. I love having a beer with dinner occasionally.

EDIT: INITIAL IMPRESSION: Sweet! It even comes with replacement wheels for my Rollerblades! How did they know?

cables
05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not really expecting Wii Fit to physically help me in any way. I just need an excuse to flail about with a wiimote in my pocket.

KCar
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I just picked it up. I'm a little horrified at my BMI adjusted Mii - I'm a thick guy, no doubt about it, but I wear the weight all over my body (I'm barrel chested too, which doesn't help matters). The game put all the weight around my middle, which is NOT how I look - right? right?

So far: the games are negligible, the strength training actually had me sweating, and the yoga is something that I will continue doing (when no one is in the house to see me). I've set a goal of ten pounds in two months, mimicking what the fella PA linked to (I forget the site) did.

I had a pretty kick ass game of Badminton this morning, and a good half hour of this today. I plan on pansy-ing my way to a fitter me this summer.

cables
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Do other Miis mock your weight as an inspirational gameplay element?

KCar
05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I haven't unlocked that yet. Fingers crossed!

SamuelMarston
05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm so glad that I actually got a workout out of this. I think this is something I can stick to everyday to improve my posture and balance, and hopefully slim down my midsection. It just needs some tightening.

I feel really good now after fifteen minutes of use, and I guess I'll extend the duration further as I get used to doing it.

EDIT: Oh, that was two exercises in each category and then skiing again so I could try to improve my score.

Sprite
05-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Great first impressions here. I stopped at thirty minutes, feeling like I had actually done some exercise. I wasn't very organized with it and there was a lot of down time because I was getting used to the menus, but otherwise I'm impressed. I especially love how I can count outside exercise towards my score.

I do hope these Aerobic exercises eventually last longer than three to five minutes, though.

SamuelMarston
05-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I especially love how I can count outside exercise towards my score.

I do too. I have a very physical job that consumes 40 hours of my time each week. I think that's worth at least 6 hours of medium every day (if I remember to log it in). I guess that's why my BMI was already really close to 22. It was 22.something.

Sprite
05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
My BMI is 19. Kinda skinny, me.

Patrick
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I especially love how I can count outside exercise towards my score.

how does that work? Can you just enter how much you've worked on any given day?

Sprite
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
how does that work? Can you just enter how much you've worked on any given day?

On the Graph, you can click a button called "Activity Log" (and you can't use the D-Pad like everything else in Wii Fit, which is odd and dissapointing). You then choose whether the activity is "Light" (playing an instrument, bowling), "Medium" (walking, aerobics), or "Hard" (dancing, tennis). Then you put in the amount of minutes you did the activity and it calculates your Fit credits depending on the type of activity.

Calorie Mate
05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Aw, you guys had to go and ruin the thread by talking about the actual game. For shame.

Sprite
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
No one said you had to stop talking about your hair and flab.

Tomm Guycot
05-21-2008, 03:24 PM
All my life I had a full head of hair I couldn't do anything with. I had a Beatle cut for a while and then it started feathering out, Luke-in-episode-IV-style.

Early in college I started loosely gelling it back with some decent results. As the gel wore off hair would fall around my face, anime-style.

Just about the time I realized I could get away with some Squall-from-FFVIII style shenanigans and pull off the look, my mom approached me and said "Your sister noticed your hair is getting really thin." I was 22.

Luckily I'm only REALLY bald on the very top of my head, so I never see it. Except in pictures from behind and then i get really freaked out and self-conscious.

As for weight, my gut hovers somewhere between "I see you're starting to get a gut!" and "Whoa, nice gut."

Sigh. The rest of my body is pretty fit though.

I've been avoiding Wii Fit because I heard it doesn't really help you lose any weight at all (I think Miyamoto said this). Can anyone disagree? If it exercises actually do help lose weight I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

KCar
05-21-2008, 03:30 PM
This is what sold me. (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/04/02/the-great-experiment-wii-fit-%E2%80%93-final-report-or-how-i-lost-10-pounds-in-7-weeks-by-playing-video-games/)

Ample Vigour
05-21-2008, 03:36 PM
As soon as my back goes from Ruination to just Crappy, it's back to the salt mines for me. When I go a couple days without training, my body feels like it's made from Pizza Hut dough.

Maybe there will be legs for a TT Fitness thread after this FC ends. I have stuff I do, but it's not from Shiggy and, therefore, not FC-approved. :(

Sprite
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Ditto on the 4 color rebellion link. I think it spells out all the positives and negatives of the game quite nicely.

You can do pretty much everything Wii Fit offers on your own, if you want, and even with Wii Fit it looks like you'll have to be pretty self-motivated. But I like having all the exercises spelled-out and demonstrated for me since I've honestly never learned anything beyond push-ups and sit-ups and I've never tried Yoga before.

The biggest motivator, I think, will be the Wii Fit credits and the calender that keeps track of what exercises I do and how long I do them. The game congratulates you with different milestones, almost like Xbox's gamerscore.

SamuelMarston
05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I've been avoiding Wii Fit because I heard it doesn't really help you lose any weight at all (I think Miyamoto said this). Can anyone disagree? If it exercises actually do help lose weight I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

It isn't just about weight. The game seems to have a great focus on balance and posture as well. To me, these things are almost more important than weight.

While I definitely do want to tone up, my weight is about where it should be. Where my real problems lie is in the areas of balance and posture.

reibeatall
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Ok, so I was doing the running one (where you jog in place) and as I'm making my way, who do I see coming from behind?

It's Jesus. Jesus passed me and just kinda smiled.

mopinks
05-21-2008, 06:48 PM
quick, check how many pairs of footprints there are!

reibeatall
05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
He wasn't carrying me. He was too busy showing off for Santa, Kenny Rogers, and Hitler.

Ample Vigour
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Kenny Rogers
Always a classic. (http://www.menwholooklikekennyrogers.com/)

Kirin
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
The biggest motivator, I think, will be the Wii Fit credits and the calender that keeps track of what exercises I do and how long I do them. The game congratulates you with different milestones, almost like Xbox's gamerscore.

I don't actually have a Wii so this is slightly off-topic, but I wanted to QFT anyway. I can make myself do outside exercise like biking occasionally (when the weather cooperates) because exploring is fun. But repetitive inddor exercises? They bore the hell out of me to the extent that I can never manage to make myself do them regularly.

The solution for me is DDR. And it's not really that "dancing" is that much more fun than other exercises - it's all about the artificial rewards. I only need 2000 more shop points to unlock the next song. I only need to pass this challenge to unlock a new character. Etc. I imagine Wii fit's scores and tracking can provide similar motivation. And really, we're all capable of exercising; motivation is what it's all about.

reibeatall
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Dear Push Ups and Side Planks:
Fuck you.

djSyndrome
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
The solution for me is DDR.

DDR was fun when the music didn't suck donkey balls. Which was right up until 2002 or so.

maybe I'm bitter about all the weight I gained when I stopped playing DDR. who knows!

TheSL
05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
DDR was fun when the music didn't suck donkey balls. Which was right up until 2002 or so.

Ditto. I stopped buying them when the expected me to play along to US pop music crap that I can't stand instead of decent original songs.

Maigo
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I am utterly Wii Fit-less. Every major online store is still not accepting backorders. There was a 30 minute window, when I saw that bestbuy.com had them for online order. I didn't grab one because the local Best Buy clerk told me a second shipment was coming that day. It never did.

I will be calling Best Buy every 2 or 3 hours indefinitely. Wii Fit is the new Wii.

reibeatall
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Honestly, how could you not see this coming?

djSyndrome
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Semi-related point: I am not able to get down to GameStop until tomorrow morning to pick up my copy - life has sent me in other directions after work today. I spoke with the assistant manager there and he's agreed to hold my copy until tomorrow - probably because I'm on a first-name basis with them and spend a few grand there a year. We'll see if this actually works out!

Maigo
05-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Has this ever happened for a video game title? I suppose the eBay scalpers had the foresight. But not a single person here anticipated they could pre-order at every single store local to them, and make a $1,000 profit on eBay.

nunix
05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
re: DDR: get the free Stepmania clone (for thine win32 and *nix boxes, probably also OSX as well) and load it up with whatever MP3s and stepfiles you happen to acquire. I bought a nice thick foam-core pad from Red Octane and used a USB/PS2 converter for it, worked out great.

re: Wii Fit: do we have some idea of how to even talk about this as a Fun Club? "I did 30 minutes of that yoga today, man, that was killer" is going to make for some short posts..

Kirin
05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I stopped buying (DDR) when the expected me to play along to US pop music crap that I can't stand instead of decent original songs.

All the more incentive to rack up enough points for all the unlockables, which are generally entirely un-licensed. ;)

Also, nunix: Huh, is there really Stepmania and a working USB adapter for OSX? If so, I shall have to investigate.

SamuelMarston
05-22-2008, 01:38 PM
re: Wii Fit: do we have some idea of how to even talk about this as a Fun Club? "I did 30 minutes of that yoga today, man, that was killer" is going to make for some short posts..

First of all, I just did a 30 minute workout after work, and I FEEL fantastic. Normally I'm just about ready to collapse after work, since I start at 1:30am and end at 10am, but now I'm full of energy! From the first time I stepped on the balance board I was lucky enough to have a 22.04 BMI, so I feel like I started ahead of the game. Now, I'm toning my abs and limbs, and it really does feel wonderful.

Granted, I was motivated to get toned up before Wii Fit, I just had a natural aversion to the gym.

Dude, yoga is SEXY. Especially that Male Trainer. Do you think he and Female Trainer are related because of the common last name?

Is this really going for $1,000 on ebay? Really? Maybe I should have waited to tone up and used that cash for an engagement ring.

P.S. Someone help me track down a Wii Fit track suit for a decent price.

Ample Vigour
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
"I did 30 minutes of that yoga today, man, that was killer" is going to make for some short posts..

You don't just "do yoga", dude. One thing yoga is about is improving your proprioception, so you could talk about how the different poses and transitions are treating you.

I used to post religiously at some powerlifting sites, so talking endlessly about working out can work on a forum.

Lumbar update: FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK OW, but better than yesterday.

EDIT:
First of all, I just did a 30 minute workout after work, and I FEEL fantastic. Normally I'm just about ready to collapse after work, since I start at 1:30am and end at 10am, but now I'm full of energy!

That's great, man! I'm all about people enjoying their training.

Sprite
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I tried out the "jogging" today. I felt like a moron, stomping in front of my roommate. Only marginally less silly than the hoola hooping. Maybe once it's Winter I'll try it out again, but...

Maybe I should buy some running shoes so I can get credits without looking like a weirdo.

Dear Push Ups and Side Planks:
Fuck you.

This is me and the Half Moon Pose right now. Why is leaning slightly to the right so taxing? I am out of shape.

But not a single person here anticipated they could pre-order at every single store local to them, and make a $1,000 profit on eBay.

I did, because the same thing happened in Japan and then again in Europe. I would've felt sleazy for scalping, though.

biking occasionally

Oh man it's warm again and I can bike again! And that biking will get me Wii Fit Credits! Biking will now get me points in a video game!

Matchstick
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This is me and the Half Moon Pose right now. Why is leaning slightly to the right so taxing? I am out of shape.

I don't have Wii Fit, so I may be misconstruing what you said here, but Half Moon isn't "leaning slightly to the right". If you're doing a full Half Moon (heh), then you're up on one leg with the other leg and your body parallel to the floor and your arm in the air. It's a pretty challenging balance pose.

Sprite
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe the game is working up to a full Half Moon.

SamuelMarston
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't have Wii Fit, so I may be misconstruing what you said here, but Half Moon isn't "leaning slightly to the right". If you're doing a full Half Moon (heh), then you're up on one leg with the other leg and your body parallel to the floor and your arm in the air. It's a pretty challenging balance pose.

I had a friend tell me this last night as I was showing off the program.

reibeatall
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Has this ever happened for a video game title? I suppose the eBay scalpers had the foresight. But not a single person here anticipated they could pre-order at every single store local to them, and make a $1,000 profit on eBay.

You really are naive, you know that?

Zef
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh man it's warm again and I can bike again! And that biking will get me Wii Fit Credits! Biking will now get me points in a video game!

http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=You%20burned%20560%20calorie s%20in%20real%20life%20-%2010%20pts

OK, the yoga thing interests me. I have access to yoga class at the gym, but my routine schedule is very, very prohibitive. I think I'm gonna look up a complete feature list and shop around this weekend :D

...does Wii Fit yoga teach you to spew fireballs?

Maigo
05-22-2008, 04:30 PM
You really are naive, you know that?

I think you misinterpreted. I interpret your misinterpretation as I believe you can really get $1,000 for a single Wii Fit off eBay. What I said was to pre-order at several stores, implying you get all the units that you can. i.e. 20 units at $50 profit each.

reibeatall
05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Ohh, I thought you were shocked that the game is hard to find.

KCar
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah, the running in place is pretty silly, but I could see actually doing it if no one was around. Once the roommates are home... just no.

I just committed to doubles badminton every morning at 9. I'm a grad student, so my schedule allows this. Between that, the short workouts after, and the yoga/strength training on Wii Fit, I'm feeling pretty good about my prospects this summer.

The "rewards" system is pretty great, and I think the main (only?) reason the wii fit will work. I think we're all pretty addicted to this model in terms of our video game playing; it makes perfect sense to apply it to our fitness. I think savvy businesses would apply it to the workplace but that would be evil.

A question though - I've been logging my "out of game" exercise through the graph page, but is it helping with the unlockables? It doesn't seem to be - maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

SamuelMarston
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
A question though - I've been logging my "out of game" exercise through the graph page, but is it helping with the unlockables? It doesn't seem to be - maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

As far as I can tell it is just so you can track your progress to see how outside factors apply to your fitness as well.

I could be wrong here.

nunix
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Maybe we can post our Wii Fit routines. How long do you do which games/exercises?

Also, that tightrope walking is difficult. I hope that is not a skill I need in the real world anytime soon.

Also-also, the fact that I cannot operate the in-game menus with the board is ridiculous. A simple double foot-tap can't act as A? So freaking lame.

KCar
05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Fun fact: I dropped a pound and a half over the last three days. No, that's not just clothing - it's probably the two hour, sweat my ass of at Badminton rounds every morning thing. So it's probably all water weight. In any case, I have a nice body tired today after that, and my following Wii Fit strength training (I'm unlocking more reps, yay - I need more side planks).

Again: I think I'm just excited to have a new toy that records my physical activity. There is absolutely NO reason I couldn't do anything the game is telling me to do without its "aid," but I am tricking myself into letting it work. I'm all for a placebo that still cures me.

Sprite
05-23-2008, 11:39 AM
http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=You%20burned%20560%20calorie s%20in%20real%20life%20-%2010%20pts

Exactly. I realize it's a placebo, and an expensive placebo at that, but it's actually motivating me to get up and exercise. I want to get those credits up as high as I can, not just because it'll make my board's avatar happy but because it's actually good for me. Miyamoto managed to tap into the gamer's electric achievement mentality and the casual market at the same time. Pretty good idea, I think. I just hope Nintendo releases some expansions every once in a while, because I'm sure the novelty will wear off in a couple weeks when I have everything unlocked. But by then I should be into the routine.

Dadgum Roi
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Wii Fit get.

Also, can anyone answer my question earlier in the thread about two-player? Does the software support it?

Wii F..

Never mind.

KCar
05-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I haven't seen any indication that you can't, but I haven't seen anything that says you can. I'm guessing that means it's a no.

Maigo
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
After many phone calls, we got one. I was initially dismayed when it weighed my wife and I very wrong. So I RTFMed and installed the leg extensions. Now my weight agrees with two other scales. It's the first scale we've ever owned.

It kept me, my wife, and 3.5 year old clone busy for over 4 hours. But as someone who has always found Wii hype to be accurate, I am underwhelmed so far. The yoga and exercises are fine, but the mini-games... they strike me as low quality. For me, Nintendo mini-games have always been able to light a fire under my butt. It's what differentiates their mini-games from, say, Monkey Ball. None of the games I can access so far have that kind of energy to me. Also the naturalness of the game controls seem on the level of EyeToy--horrible. I'll reserve judgement until I fully unlock all the games.

My expectations may be at fault. I didn't buy this for the fitness aspect. I bought it thinking it was could be played like Mario Party or WarioWare.

Soo... anyways. Who got naked for the initial weigh in?

Zef
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Just a reminder (since I'm sure most of you already know this): if you notice a sharp drop in weight from the increased exercise through Wii Fit, by all means, rejoice. Remember, though, that this is exactly how any sudden exercise routine works, and your body will soon develop the muscle fiber to meet the new requirements (which is what leads to the dangerous "plateau.")

But here's the thing: Wii Fit is a video game, and as such is vulnerable to our fickle gamer tastes (especially since you pay for it once, unlike a gym, whose membership fees make you feel guilty every time you miss a session.) Since it can't reasonably expect people to keep at it on a regular schedule for years on end, I assume its purpose is close to what LilSpriteX says, and it's more of a gentle nudge, a motivator so you get up and exercise outside the game. It's likely that most people will leave Wii Fit for some other video game, eventually, so it's important to stick to your regime even after you've moved on.

SamuelMarston
05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
It kept me, my wife, and 3.5 year old clone busy for over 4 hours. But as someone who has always found Wii hype to be accurate, I am underwhelmed so far. The yoga and exercises are fine, but the mini-games... they strike me as low quality. For me, Nintendo mini-games have always been able to light a fire under my butt. It's what differentiates their mini-games from, say, Monkey Ball. None of the games I can access so far have that kind of energy to me. Also the naturalness of the game controls seem on the level of EyeToy--horrible. I'll reserve judgement until I fully unlock all the games.

My expectations may be at fault. I didn't buy this for the fitness aspect. I bought it thinking it was could be played like Mario Party or WarioWare.

Yeah, this isn't about games. The balance games are actually my least favorite part of the program, and I mostly stick to the other categories. I'm here for other reasons.

Want a game? I'm really enjoying We Ski (http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18997) so far. It's kinda like Mario 64 on skis. I find the balance board works really well.

I'm 26, and I just got my Wii Fit age down to 21.

Sprite
05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I enjoy the "roll the ball in the hole" game. Though, yeah, I too would be very disappointed if I bought this for the mini games.

Maybe we can post our Wii Fit routines. How long do you do which games/exercises?

I'm trying to figure this out. The problem right now is most of the Aerobic games don't work up much of a sweat just yet (unless I hula hoop or "jog" multiple times) and only about half of the yoga poses/strength exercises are unlocked, so it's hard to alternate between muscle groups without only doing a couple exercises. I'm sure I'll figure it out by the end of the week, though.

Oh, hey, Wii Fit wants me to do 10 reps of push ups/side planks next time.
crapcrapcrapcrapcrap

blindblue
05-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm liking the rhythm boxing aerobic mini-game, it works up a bit of a sweat on expert (10 min) if you do it in between strength exercises.

KCar
05-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Super Hula hoops gets me breathing. Once I unlock longer durations, it will probably replace any/all of the cardio workouts for me - that's one feature I'd rather leave the house for, generally.

I figured I'd mention it, just in case anyone hasn't found it yet - clicking on the exercising balance board on the training selection screen gets you to the "Ultimate Balance Test," which is ridiculous.

Sprite
05-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Boy, my legs are mad at me for doing twenty minutes of cardio after leg lifts and lunges.

I'm liking the rhythm boxing aerobic mini-game, it works up a bit of a sweat on expert (10 min) if you do it in between strength exercises.

How much of a sweat? I have the Advanced Boxing unlocked and that barely does anything. It's more of a warm-up/cool-down at this point.

I figured I'd mention it, just in case anyone hasn't found it yet - clicking on the exercising balance board on the training selection screen gets you to the "Ultimate Balance Test," which is ridiculous.

Holy crap. Is that even possible?

reibeatall
05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I missed it by 1 goddamn second.

KCar
05-25-2008, 08:06 AM
I missed it by 1 goddamn second.

*slow clap*

Sprite
05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
My Balance Board's avatar suggested I take it easy today, and I did, because I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. So today was 25 minutes of aerobics (I unlocked Free Step, which actually goes on for up to 30 minutes) and some Yoga for good measure, finished off by a trial run of the hellacious plank and the super cool Lotus Focus game.

Tomorrow I'm going to be away from home, so I'll have to do some exercises on my own and have my roommates enter the minutes for me. I'm, uh... pretty into this thing so far.

KCar
05-25-2008, 08:16 PM
My trainer told me she was out late last night. Hussy!

nunix
05-25-2008, 08:21 PM
There's a question: what's your gender, and did you pick a male or female trainer? Why that choice?

Torgo
05-27-2008, 03:14 AM
You know... I might have to pick Wii Fit up. Everything you guys have said is really encouraging. Running counter to what Zef said, I'll feel more inclined to use it (and keep using it). Why? Because it's right here in my room. It's not a big piece of equipment sitting in the garage (where I can safely ignore it). It's not a gym membership to someplace out of the way that I have to make an extra stop before or after work for (not gonna happen).

Topping it off, what Miyamoto said in Parish's recent article really struck a chord with me: Compared to any of these things, or even a few workout dvds, Wii Fit is cheap.

I think I might go scout out for a copy tomorrow. I don't necessarily expect I'll find one, but we'll see.

locit
05-27-2008, 03:23 AM
I echo Torgo's sentiments exactly. Here's hoping I can find the thing!

KCar
05-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen - I've lost four pounds in seven days (bearing in mind an hour of badminton every day in addition to exercises on the Wii Fit. I'm very happy about this.

Sprite
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
There's a question: what's your gender, and did you pick a male or female trainer? Why that choice?

I am male, and I picked the male trainer, mostly because I prefer his voice acting. I might switch back and forth between them when I grow tired of one, though.

KCar
05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Okay - I hate to regale you all with tales of my body mass, but today I did my test and somehow, my reading shot up 17 pounds. That can't be right - either the series of readings that I've done so far have all been that much off (because they've been relatively stable and down-trending), or the board goofed. I did the test twice, and both results were about the same. Anybody else have a similar experience? Maybe I have to put on the extra stoppers.

For the record - I drank a little last night (six bottles of beer or so), but c'mon - seventeen pounds? That puts my Mii into "Obese" range, and by god I ain't obese.

djSyndrome
05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I drank a little last night

(six bottles of beer or so)

What constitutes drinking a lot?

KCar
05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
What constitutes drinking a lot?

Brother, you don't even wanna know.

Suffice to say I once almost concussed myself by sliding down a banister that had a break in the middle. I thought I'd make the transition. This was roughly, oh, 20 oz. of rum in. Apparently, a grown man tumbling down a flight of cement steps appears to be almost graceful if he, and the audience, are drunk enough.

This did not end my night, nor my drinking.

Those six beers were spaced out over 5 hours or so. I don't think that's bad at all.

SamuelMarston
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I've fallen off of the horse.

I took my Wii to my girlfriend's house for a family gathering at her request. Since then I haven't had access to Wii Fit, and I've missed a few days. I need to get back into it, because this is something I really want to do regularly.

Last night I ate a whole pizza and drank two bottles of Guinness. We'll see how that turns out later.

blindblue
05-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Maybe I have to put on the extra stoppers.

Did you move the board to a new spot? You have to attach the stoppers if it's on a carpeted surface.

Sprite
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Ditto on the extra stoppers. My board gave wildly inaccurate measurements because of our carpet. Now that we have the extra legs on it works fine. Hopefully that works for yours.

I took my Wii to my girlfriend's house for a family gathering at her request. Since then I haven't had access to Wii Fit, and I've missed a few days. I need to get back into it, because this is something I really want to do regularly.

Did you exercise on your own at all? If you input that into Wii Fit it counts as exercising that day (you may have to trick it with your Wii's calender, so be careful with that). I wasn't at home on Monday but I called home and had my roommate put some minutes in and yesterday the Board praised me for not missing any days.

If you didn't do any exercise, I sympathize. Once I miss a single day in any routine I usually end up missing weeks.

ringworm
05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
If you didn't do any exercise, I sympathize. Once I miss a single day in any routine I usually end up missing weeks.
This is so unbelievably true.

SamuelMarston
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Ditto on the extra stoppers. My board gave wildly inaccurate measurements because of our carpet. Now that we have the extra legs on it works fine. Hopefully that works for yours.

Did you exercise on your own at all? If you input that into Wii Fit it counts as exercising that day (you may have to trick it with your Wii's calender, so be careful with that). I wasn't at home on Monday but I called home and had my roommate put some minutes in and yesterday the Board praised me for not missing any days.

I'm fairly active in general, but I really didn't have any time to exercise proper those days. I didn't think to log some exercise because my Wii was at someone else's home and they were busy playing MarioKart and WiiSports.

:(