PDA

View Full Version : i'm bored

shivam
07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
so i'm sitting, gainfully unemployed, and the industry that i want to work in is currently too busy down in santa monica to bother looking for new recruits. moreover, there's no space in said industry for new people anyway, since the places to work are becoming fewer and fewer, and the people in the work pool are becoming exponentially more numerous.

i've barely left my room this past month save to do menial errands and such (and yes, fools, i'm incredibly hygenic so that doesnt count), and i've spent all my time haunting craigslist and job websites while alt-tabbing into games of civ 4.

this is not how man should live. i swear to god, if i dont have a job by the time my fiancee comes back from japan next month, i'm going into hiding.

Torgo
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Perhaps plain 'ol hourly work in the meantime? I'm going to look into getting my old job back so I have something while I look for something in my field.

At least you got Civ4 to keep you company.

alexb
07-12-2007, 01:51 AM
this is not how man should live. i swear to god, if i dont have a job by the time my fiancee comes back from japan next month, i'm going into hiding.

I hear you. It took me nearly two months to find a job when I came to this cow town. I felt like a waste of flesh after about 3 weeks.

djSyndrome
07-12-2007, 07:52 AM
I think it's time that you realized that your 'chosen profession' a) doesn't pay all that well, b) is constricting more rapidly than people realize, and c) is really, really thankless. But the industry as a whole is expanding, which means there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere outside of games journalism.

My suggestion? If you want to stay in the industry, perhaps get a ground-level job as a game tester - you live near several major publishers - and try and work your way up from there. Wouldn't hurt to try, and you'd at least have some sort of income.

Sarcasmorator
07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I think it's time that you realized that your 'chosen profession' a) doesn't pay all that well, b) is constricting more rapidly than people realize, and c) is really, really thankless.

Fun fact: This statement applies to journalism in general!

tungwene
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I don't know how bad off you're financially but if you're that desperate for a job just suck it up and find what's available. That's what I did. I tried desperately to find a lab job this summer but aside from internships that would've required me to travel or ones that didn't pay I couldn't find anything. Now I'm working three part time jobs, one of which is minimum wage, another is waitressing, and all are tedious as hell.

estragon
07-12-2007, 12:14 PM
america's bountiful ownership society ftw!

Calorie Mate
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry dude. I've got a decent job now, but it's the start of a career path I don't want at all, so I'm worried that's going to be harder to get out and start over. It sucks, I know.

If you're bored, come hang out. We'll do lunch. Isn't that what people in glamorous California say to each other?

Sheana
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Man, I know what you mean. I've been trying to get various industry jobs for a while now, either getting outright rejected or ignored, and was unemployed for several months. Right now I'm just biting the bullet and part-timing it with a schlub job, and hoping I can use my off-days to find something useful..

Torgo
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Got my job, just waiting for the drug test to come back. Of course, since it's the weekend that means I'm probably not going to start working until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Excuse me while I scream.

Falselogic
06-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Waiting for 5 o'clock to roll around. So I can go home and sit on my coach and wait for 1030 to roll around. So I can go to bed and then wait for 630 to rool around

KCar
06-18-2013, 04:36 PM
This necropost terrified me, because Shivam's OP is so at odds with his current situation. I was all like "dude - wha happen?"

Then I checked the date and breathed a sigh of relief.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW FALSELOGIC. DO YOU KNOW THE TROUBLE YOU CAUSE.

shivam
06-18-2013, 05:24 PM
man, i was surprised to see this too.

But also, pretty fucking proud to see how far i've come since then.

Falselogic
06-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I get the feeling you guys aren't sympathizing with my pain!

Destil
06-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I feel like someone needs to create "The bad Falselogic thread" at this rate.

Falselogic
06-18-2013, 05:31 PM
I feel like someone needs to create "The bad Falselogic thread" at this rate.

That's unpossible!

Paul le Fou
06-18-2013, 06:11 PM
This necropost terrified me, because Shivam's OP is so at odds with his current situation. I was all like "dude - wha happen?"

Then I checked the date and breathed a sigh of relief.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW FALSELOGIC. DO YOU KNOW THE TROUBLE YOU CAUSE.

I was only tipped off when he said Civ 4 instead of 5. actually it was "fiance" instead of "wife"

Guild
06-18-2013, 09:40 PM
This thread could be merged with the one I made a few days back about being bored if anyone cared about the pit's lawn. I hereby announce my candidacy for moderator. Third thing about dungeons and dragons is cheap and fun when bored.

There, a perfect post. You're welcome.

PS don't shit your pants was great (kongregate.com)

badgerbadgerbadger.com

you're bored and you have internet and i'm very lazy so here you go, here's some stuff i've done this year, time-warp shivam

candybox

super metroid

utopia-game.com

i've been making bad music in fruity loops (i have a whole album of bad music now)

come up with a service and market it (try to be clever and resolve to being an amateur if it helps that you suck at drawing but love making art, for example)

there you go that's my whole internet for january-june

Issun
06-18-2013, 11:49 PM
It's time for an intervention. For Guild. A Guild intervention. A guildvention, if you will.