PDA

View Full Version : I leave for one day and look what happens

JCDenton
07-12-2007, 05:55 PM
So I had a really busy day yesterday and missed all the big announcements. :( Now I log on here and see an enormous E3 news thread and you expect me to read it all? As if. Stop posting so much, losers. :p

Schmidt
07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Wiifit, PS3 no games lol, 360 has good games and no surprises. Metal Gear Discussion: Clusterfuck. The end.

djSyndrome
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Wiifit, PS3 no games lol, 360 has good games and no surprises. Metal Gear Discussion: Clusterfuck. The end.

Way to fall asleep during the Sony conference. Echochrome, WipeOut HD, and new PSP > Viva Pinata Redux, Halo 3 and Halo 3 console. Also, Every Day Shooter, Patapon and Little Big Planet all look like strange, lovable fun. I see Sony carrying the torch for indie and creative development far more than MS (or even Nintendo).

Jakanden
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Way to fall asleep during the Sony conference. Echochrome, WipeOut HD, and new PSP > Viva Pinata Redux, Halo 3 and Halo 3 console. Also, Every Day Shooter, Patapon and Little Big Planet all look like strange, lovable fun. I see Sony carrying the torch for indie and creative development far more than MS (or even Nintendo).

Yeah I thought that comment was odd too. The Sony press conference was by far the best of the three.

Merus
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
It's nice to see that the PS3 is raiding last year's PC indy scene.

No, for serious. I'm hoping they come to the company I work for next.

Kishi
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Knytt HD.

I'd be down.

Schmidt
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I guess I shouldn't take it for granted that when I type lol, it always means I'm being sarcastic. I haven't used it genuinely in years (not counting polite usage confined to instant message correspondence with my parents). Obviously Sony showed some games. And they look cool. But they didn't knock anybody's socks off. People are dying for a game to wave at Xbox owners and say "See this? This is what $600 gets you, and it's so superior it's totally worth it!" No matter how great they are, some puzzle games and Wipeout aren't going to deliver on that front.

For perspective, I personally love Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (as many of you do), and if they'd shown a new game from that team, I'd be seriously considering buying a PS3 sooner rather than later, price cut or no. But I understand that realistically, that's still not what the public is crying out for, and even had it been the highlight of their conference it would've been similarly disappointing overall.

Likewise, in the MS camp, people wanted to see them go for the jugular while the PS3 is on the ropes. Give us a price cut, or Final Fantasy, or MGS, or Rock Band exclusivity! Instead we got another look at some really great titles, but they're really great titles we already knew about.

It didn't come across in my first post, but all three showed cool stuff that wasn't nearly as awesome as what people were hoping.

Mightyblue
07-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Honestly, I don't give a crap about E3 or the gaming tradeshows anymore. All they usually mean is that I can't access gaming news sites for a few days, and everyone gets all worked about stuff that's not even done yet, judging by the average IQ of the comments on 1up.

I still get my news sooner or later (and inevitable commentary), but it's not a big deal to me because I'm not really involved in the industry. These shows are geared for showing off to competitors and generating PR, not disseminating information. They're boring simply because we don't learn a whole lot of new stuff usually. I think Nintendo actually showed more new stuff this time around, save for Sony's PSN stuff, than anyone, and people still just yawn and wave it off as more Wii gimmicks.

And then they blow their tops at seeing thirty seconds of new footage for games that have shown up at two prior E3's and it just makes me wonder why? It is cool to see new stuff about a game you're psyched about, but they don't need to waste time and money holding a conference just to show off a series of short trailers, and talk for a while on corporate PR BS when they could just release the trailers and press releases online and let the Web do its usual.

I'm not sure what else I want to say, other than that I'm a bitter old youngish dude apparently, but that previews and stuff shown at tradeshows like E3 is like concept art (unless they're showing off finished work), and as such its ultimate importance is negligible. It may give you an idea of what the finished product will be, but it is hardly the be all and end all some of the more pyro-inclined trolls make it out to be. Eh. Done.

Kishi
07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Is that you, Denis?

Mightyblue
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Uh, no? My name's not Denis.

alexb
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Reference (http://kotaku.com/gaming/denis-dyack/dyack-gets-opinionated-about-previews-yet-again-245745.php).

Merus
07-13-2007, 12:10 AM
I blame the shelf life of games. If you've got a month window for people to buy and play a game before no-one gives a toss any more, you need to get people frothing at the mouth to buy it, which means you need to come up with misleading demos of 'how it's coming along'.

Jakanden
07-13-2007, 04:38 AM
Is that you, Denis?

http://roflcat.com/images/cats/face.jpg

openedsource
07-13-2007, 04:46 AM
People are dying for a game to wave at Xbox owners and say "See this? This is what $600 gets you, and it's so superior it's totally worth it!"

Yeah, but, fanboys. They'll wave Killzone in front of you and with a straight face say "See this? This is what $600 gets you, and it's so superior it's totally worth it!".

Calorie Mate
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think either system has something they can really wave in front of the other and say "See? Our system is far superior to the other one, and here's why."

...except MGS4, of course.

Torgo
07-13-2007, 11:12 AM
The past two days has borne out that I can't care about anything at E3, because pretty much every dime I make over the next several months that doesn't go to things like rent and food gets to go towards credit card debt.

Jakanden
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think either system has something they can really wave in front of the other and say "See? Our system is far superior to the other one, and here's why."

...except MGS4, of course.

While I don't think it waves to "360 is superior" flag, but I think that Gears does the "This is what $400 gets you" pretty well as that is a game that will not come to PS3.

MGS4 might end up coming to 360 (despite Kojima's statements to the contrary) so the PS3 owners might not get to use that for long.

Torgo
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
While I don't think it waves to "360 is superior" flag, but I think that Gears does the "This is what $400 gets you" pretty well as that is a game that will not come to PS3.
Oh but wait until the PC nerds start lording their slightly better textures and higher resolutions over you! And they only spent a trivial twelve hundred plus dollars more!

You console loving sap.

Calorie Mate
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
But he reiterated again that it's exclusive on Wednesday, so until they officially announce otherwise, it's a perfect flag to wave.

thomp538
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh but wait until the PC nerds start lording their slightly better textures and higher resolutions over you! And they only spent a trivial twelve hundred plus dollars more!

You console loving sap.
But hey, MS Word FTW

Jakanden
07-13-2007, 12:25 PM

You console loving sap.

Well with this announcement (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/13/new-gow-pc-content-not-coming-to-the-360/), I had thought about getting the game for my PC after all. However, as much as I love GoW, I am not paying full price again for it and knowing Epic, it will likely come eventually.