PDA

View Full Version : FC 22: Beyond Good and Evil

Parish
05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey! The sequel is for real. Let's celebrate.

Beyond Good & Evil
Ubisoft | PS2/GC/Xbox | Action | 2003

They call me Mr. Pig, guys.

shivam
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
This game has a freaking wonderful soundtrack, and a great color scheme, and a great vibrant world.

Sven
05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Please tell me that someone's discovered a "you don't have to do any of the stealth b.s." code since the last time I played through this.

Red Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I am seriously tempted to play through this game again.

I think it may have been the first PS2 game I played (to any significant extent - not counting multiplayer games like Madden, Timsplitters, or Soul Calibur) on my PS2. And it was great.

Parish
05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I never actually finished the game (I made it really close to the end and, as so often happens, had to play something for review) so this is my chance. Looks like the girlfriend is away for the weekend and I'm actually between reviews at the moment, so I have nothing better to do.

Calorie Mate
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I never actually finished the game (I made it really close to the end and, as so often happens, had to play something for review) so this is my chance. Looks like the girlfriend is away for the weekend and I'm actually between reviews at the moment, so I have nothing better to do.

I never finished it, because I saved mere moments from the last boss after activating some sort of glitch that made the NPC accompanying you disappear. Because I hadn't noticed and he'd disappeared before I saved, there was nothing could do about it except watch the ending on Youtube.

Loved the game up until that point, though.

Jakanden
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
So at the risk of getting lambasted, what makes this game the cult favorite it is? I put about 5 or 6 hours into it two separate times (the last one being in March) and, while I loved the dialog and characters, I didn't see why everyone is crazy about it. I got bored both times and just couldn't force myself to keep going. What is it that I am missing about it?

Adrenaline
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
If you played that much in one save you would have beaten it easily.

Pooch
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh man, I literally beat this just two days ago, after finding a cheap $5 copy of the Xbox version at Gamestop over the weekend. It was a lot shorter than I remembered (as I originally bought and played the PC version when it came out), but still fun. The final boss battle, however, was just as infuriating as I remembered.

Jakanden
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
If you played that much in one save you would have beaten it easily.

Perhaps I didn't spend as much time on it before getting bored as I thought and it just seemed longer. The second time, I lost interest shortly after rescuing Double H (I think that was his name).

I am not sure what exactly turns me off about it. I really did dig on the story, dialog and characters (I loved Pey'j), but something about the gameplay just didn't click with me.

Parish
05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
So at the risk of getting lambasted, what makes this game the cult favorite it is? I put about 5 or 6 hours into it two separate times (the last one being in March) and, while I loved the dialog and characters, I didn't see why everyone is crazy about it. I got bored both times and just couldn't force myself to keep going. What is it that I am missing about it?
It was just good basic action game fun with a likable cast? Sometimes that's all you really need.

Jakanden
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, I completely agree about the cast. I don't think there was a character I really didn't like and Pey'j is one of my favorite characters of any game in recent memory.

Red Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM

I think the characters are what most people love about it. Couple that with fun action and adventure elements, awesome music, and a decent story and you have a good game.

Merus
05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I personally love how vibrant the world is. It's one of the best executions of a setting I've seen.

That said, what the hell's up with the first fight, particularly when things turn black and white and slow down for no apparent reason. Strange note to start a game on.

gamin
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I love the world that Beyond Good and Evil takes place in. There's a great sense of backstory to all of it. I remember I was just riding around on the water in the hovercraft early on, enjoying the dusk and the reflections in the water, then looking up at the sky at night and seeing through the scope that all these various stars and constellations have names. They made a whole universe for the setting even though the scope of the first game is set on just a single planet.

locit
05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
What is it that I am missing about it?
Expanding on the vibrancy thing, the photojournalism sidequests did a lot to add to it. When you caught a crazy space whale breaching off the side of your boat on camera or ran into a Miyazaki-esque giant flying insect by chance and managed to get it centered just right it was really engrossing.

Basically, it was like Pokemon Snap off rails and with much better art design.

Little Sampson
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I doubt I'll replay this right now since I've played it so many times, but I would encourage anyone who hasn't played it to take this opportunity to do so.

Also: I call this my favorite game of all time, but can't figure out why. Do I just like ticking people off? Am I going to get eaten alive for saying this?

Adrenaline
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Am I going to get eaten alive for saying this?

Bemused looks at worst.

Little Sampson
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh good.

It's because I'm young, isn't it!

Parish
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Young? But your picture looks so old.

Merus
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Expanding on the vibrancy thing, the photojournalism sidequests did a lot to add to it. When you caught a crazy space whale breaching off the side of your boat on camera or ran into a Miyazaki-esque giant flying insect by chance and managed to get it centered just right it was really engrossing.

Ah, yes, this is what does it for me, now I think about it. The critters in the sidequests are all different sizes and rarities, it feels like an actual ecosystem. That's something we almost never see in gaming, and it really makes Hillys feel like a real, living place despite its videogamey layout.

Little Sampson
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Young? But your picture looks so old.

That's the magic of makeup!

Err, um, I mean...

rlt
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
For far too long has Jade looked up from my media binder, asking me to play while I passed her over for fun times with the Prince or a wolf-goddess or some klutz with a sword and a desire to kill big shaggy things. But now there is Fun Club, and now Jade is on a mission. The only choice I have now is to carry that disc over to the PS2 and hit the green button.

fanboymaster
05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I might try this again, I've played it a couple of times in the past but every time I get a couple of hours in and just realize that I'm not really feeling much of anything, nothing is particularly wrong with the game but there's really nothing that sticks out to me as noteworthy. Maybe it's the jack of all trades gameplay, there's a ton of different styles, if memory serves, but none of them are in depth enough to really catch my eye.

That being said, I'll probably give it another try if the last bit of schoolwork doesn't prevent me from playing much of anything.

Brickroad
05-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Cool little thing I noticed fighting the boss in the Black Isle Mines: there are three giant pits in the ground, which in most games would be annoying obstacles, but Jade just jumps them and keeps running.

This game has such outstanding voice acting. Like, better than most games we typically say have good voice acting. The way Jade and Pey'j pick on each other to keep their spirits up is great, which makes losing Pey'j later in the game hit quite a bit closer to homel.

jovewolf
05-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I probably won't be playing (as my copy is far, far away from me at the moment) but I rather enjoyed this game - enough to complete the whole photojournalism sidequest even. I may have also collected all the pearls, but I can't remember.

I loved Pey'j as well and his banter with Jade was really fun.

However if there's one thing in this game that I will always remember, whether I want to or not, is the damn Mamago Garage song. Curse you rasta rhinos!

Ruik
05-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh man, I had to convince myself not to start up a game of this a few days ago, what with not having much time and many other games I'm currently playing. But then we go and make a Fun Club out of this.

I like this game for most of the reasons previously mentioned, but I think I mainly like the fact that you don't set out to save the world by beating the big bad (do you actually end up doing this? its been so long I don't even remember the ending), but instead you are trying to find and document The Truth so that The People know what evil douchebags these aliens are. I like that the missions into the enemy bases reflect this in that you don't charge in and kill everyone, but have to sneak past these guards who are way tougher than you. Eventually you learn to be able to take these guards out mano-e-mano, but it feels like a natural progression after losing over and over and just learning to control your limited fighting abilities better. At least, this is what I remember from my playthrough several years ago.

Hargrada
05-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Since it's now been confirmed that there's going to be a sequel, I guess i'll get off my butt and pick this one up. Any differences between the versions available? I can go PS2 or Gamecube here (though with my luck, the xbox version will end up being the one to get).

Ruik
05-29-2008, 02:46 AM
If you can't find a console version, you can now DL it from Steam (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=15130&cc=US). I'm not sure how well that would play though; it was meant to be played with a controller.

locit
05-29-2008, 03:12 AM
However if there's one thing in this game that I will always remember, whether I want to or not, is the damn Mamago Garage song. Curse you rasta rhinos!
EEEEYYYY, MAMAGO!

Guy
05-29-2008, 03:19 AM
If you can't find a console version, you can now DL it from Steam (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=15130&cc=US). I'm not sure how well that would play though; it was meant to be played with a controller.

I'm actually downloading that right now so I can participate in the FC. I'm assuming that I can use my PS2 controller to play it (I've got one of those USB adaptors). Let's pray.

Merus
05-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Be warned, guys playing the PC version: apparently in some versions there's a bug where the game gives you twice the framerate when you have multiple processors or power management features that let you pretend you've got more than one processor. Yes, this is a bug: it gives you twice the framerate, which means that graphics go twice as fast as the sound. Let me tell you, the tai chi at the start of the game looks pretty stupid at double speed.

The Steam version might have this fixed; I don't know.

Ruik
05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
First dungeon down, I got the photo of the amoeba past the barricade and the bee from the locker. I can't remember if there are any other rare photos in there. I also just noticed that the tool Pey'j gets for cutting fences is the same one laying on the ground in the BG&E2 teaser. Now I'm off to see a man about a shell game.

Safe and sound in its shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents.

Little Sampson
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
First dungeon down, I got the photo of stuff. I can't remember if there are any other rare photos in there.

Always snap the bosses. Always.

Ruik
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Of course.

SamuelMarston
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM

This.

Merus
05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Thre are two rare creatures in the mines, both in a little alcove just past where you get the wrench.

So, hey, the first level is really tedious. There's something about the DomZ levels with the occasional stealth sequence that makes the game work a hell of a lot better. Or perhaps it's because there's so many height changes that it's really slow going.

But the mines has one of my favourite lines - you have to do that old puzzle where the nimble character goes over a gate then opens it up for the partner, and going up there's a terribly acted line about opening the gate for him. After opening it, though, Pey'j wanders over and says, "Morning, miss. Candygram."

I love that line. It does a lot to make Pey'j likable, I reckon.

But man, Jade's outfit is so hot. Uh er I mean it's a terrible shame that the lighthouse doesn't get to spend much time as a hub, because I love the character development of the kids as Jade goes off having adventures. The Pedestrian District ends up being the hub of the game for the most part, and you get to see changes in it much more frequently. (So it's nice that there are changes in the hub as you complete each mission.)

Merus
05-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Man, am I the only one playing this or something? Because it's still great. I can see why people got a bit upset because the second level, which is like two hours long, is all about the stealth, but it's cheap in that it's mostly "find a place to snipe from, snipe, snipe any other guards who come along to help the guard you sniped".

Also, I love the chase sequences in this game, both the fleeing from the alpha sections and chasing after the looters. There's something about the music and art design that makes both exhilirating.

Red Hedgehog
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Also, I love the chase sequences in this game, both the fleeing from the alpha sections and chasing after the looters. There's something about the music and art design that makes both exhilirating.

The chases are great. I remember loving them. Especially the bonus one in the city. And yeah, the music for this game is always so appropriate to what is happening.

I'd be playing, but I'm really trying to concentrate on games I haven't played before. Maybe if the fun club doesn't die soon, I'll pick it up when I finish FES.

ringworm
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I bought it last night via Steam. Dunno if I'll get to it during the FC or not, though. I really need to finish up The Answer.

Ruik
05-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, so I picked up the animal tracker and went back to the first level. Turns out I missed 4 or so creatures. I completely missed the alcove near the wrench and the two in there, the one that only comes out when you kick the breaker to turn off the lights, and the flying nautilus near the end. I also forgot how long the second level is. I think the first time I played through it came across as two levels; the action part while fixing the elevator and the stealth part. I forgot how cool the chase sequence was when you are poking around the Alpha Section areas in the pedestrian district and walk right into the street full of the dudes.

Merus
05-31-2008, 10:14 PM
I also forgot how long the second level is. I think the first time I played through it came across as two levels; the action part while fixing the elevator and the stealth part.

The game actually counts it as two levels in your missions - part 1 and part 2.

Ruik
05-31-2008, 11:19 PM

Actually... I think this game makes sure you can still photo the bosses even after you kill them. I came across the corpse of the first sea boss in some cave, and the boss of the first part of the Factory falls into the water and floats around. I'm assuming they do this for the other bosses as well.

SilentSnake
05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
I sooooo want to play this again. On the bright side, I found a copy in GameStop. The last one! Bad news: The audio is borked. Only a couple sound effects play, but the rest is silence. No voices. No music. The disc is way too scratched apparently. *sigh*

Merus
06-01-2008, 07:02 AM
This game is pretty short, I must say. It's good to revisit it again, though, I think I appreciate it more the second time through.

So I've got through the Slaughterhouses, where the stealth segments start to get hairy. Honestly I'm not a fan of stealth in general, but I appreciate that here it's been forced into a puzzle framework; you either work out how to sneak through without being seen, or you restart the room.

I think my favourite scene, though, is the scene after the lighthouse is destroyed, where Jade is talking to Woof about protecting the children and it becomes pretty clear she's talking about herself. I love it.

But have I mentioned all the incidental dialogue? I love how much incidental dialogue there is in this game, everything from hints to pulling along story bits. I also love how carefully the story's balanced - it doesn't look like it's possible to miss any story bits, but the game gets away with its linear storyline because the story seems to advance as a natural consequence of your actions. For instance, the scene I talked about earlier was triggered by completing a sidequest. It seems to the player like it was their choice to do that sidequest (although the game strongly hints at it) so the game can have bad things happen to your character without it feeling cheap. It's very clever.

John Mc.
06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
i have never been more moved by a game, and despite the wondrous aesthetic, it's the characters that are the real gems. i just played through this a few weeks back myself, and i damn near played through it one sitting.

jade is a smart, strong, independent woman who just happens to be beautiful. before super smash bros. brawl i'd say samus was just as fantastic a heroine, until nintendo started pimping out that ass. that certainly bumps jade to the top of a short list of (thankfully) unexploited lady protagonists.

pey'j is a pig. i laughed and winced a little at the character when i first saw his model. three hours later, he might has well have been my uncle. i almost wept there near the end, i was so moved. that's a testament to fine characterization.

anyone writing to bitch about investing eight of some of the best gaming hours ever, let me tell you something.

by the end of it, you will love this man.

http://beyondgoodevil.com/fr/images/posingCh-2.jpg

it also helps that the tacked-on racing sequences are actually a lot of fun.

have fun, folks!

Merus
06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
John Mc. has excellent taste and is an all round righteous dude.

I just finished it, because one of us has to, and I found the second time around it was actually pretty clear what was going on, and it fleshed out a lot of the motivations of the enemy characters. I was also really, really impressed when they brought back the 'Latin' chanting from the DomZ boss fights as dialogue. Slowed down and pronounced clearly, so you can hear it, it's talking about Shauni. Yes, the Shauni you've been playing the entire time. They bring it up every single boss fight and no-one twigs until the end that the girl dressed entirely in green with thorn patterns all over her clothes is a DomZ. I love it when games sneak little details like that past you.

Man, I remember the moon base being a lot longer than it was. Both the factory and the slaughterhouse are massive levels, and the moonbase, while physically larger, is far more linear and contains a lot of lifts.

Brickroad
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I did about an hour of Slaughterhouse racing last night for no reason other than it's pretty fun. I love the bit where the path to the next level is hidden partway through the actual racetrack.

Calorie Mate
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
But have I mentioned all the incidental dialogue? I love how much incidental dialogue there is in this game, everything from hints to pulling along story bits. I also love how carefully the story's balanced - it doesn't look like it's possible to miss any story bits, but the game gets away with its linear storyline because the story seems to advance as a natural consequence of your actions. For instance, the scene I talked about earlier was triggered by completing a sidequest. It seems to the player like it was their choice to do that sidequest (although the game strongly hints at it) so the game can have bad things happen to your character without it feeling cheap. It's very clever.

Definitely one of the best things about this game...and, come to think of it, I loved Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the same reasons. Man, what happened to you, Ubisoft? You used to really make stuff with a lot of heart. :(

I originally bought this game a couple years ago because my friend Frankie loved it to death. I played it, and loved it, too. We kept laughing at the game "Yo, Pearl!" that you can earn because it was a funny term. Cut to a couple weeks later, at Wonder Con in SF. Frankie and I were there, but he had to leave before getting his stuff signed by Frank Miller, one of the main reasons he went, so I took his stuff and waited in line for him. Now, on the inside cover of one of his Kabuki volumes, it says, "Dear Frankie, Yo Pearl! -Frank Miller". (Miller gave me a weird look when I asked him to sign it like that, and had me repeat it three times. Then he cracked up and wrote it.)