PDA

View Full Version : Selection for Societal Sanity: MGS4, Act I & II

Parish
06-11-2008, 11:18 PM
You got it? Talk it up.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Konami | PS3 | Action | 2008

Hide your spoilers... and keep the story stuff to the story thread.

Jakanden
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM
So far I am loving everything about this game. The controls are vastly improved although playing quite a bit of MGO got me used to them already. The radar for the Solid Eye is taking some getting used to, but the other functions of it make up for it.

The entire Drebin system is pretty interesting and look forward to seeing what stuff comes through him. The ID locked weapons could become an annoyance I guess, but it hasn't bothered me in the slightest so far.

I really love the flashbacks that occur when pressing X during the cut-scenes. It seems a minor thing, but it is just really really cool to me for some reason.

I also surprisingly dig the iPod and have listened to quite a bit of the music on it.

Savathun
06-12-2008, 01:57 AM
So, um.. that was a weird opening. What the heck. NOT what I was expecting.

And Drebin is actually much creepier than I thought he'd be. The whole first exchange just left me feeling really nervous. I'm surprised, because I thought they were going to play him for cheap laughs or something, but he's really very unsettling. I don't really want to say more on any of that, because it gets too much into the story aspect, so I'll stop there.

Gameplay's been a lot of fun, but I'm still getting the hang of it, as well as trying to win friends and influence militias. I also tried to do a hold up on a guy and forgot the controls, so I ended up, well, "hole-ing" up his back. Oops.

I apparently lost a LOT of goodwill with the first militia because, well, in the room where they keep their sick and injured, one guy seemed to be shouting "I can't take the pain, I want to die!" So I thought it'd be the polite thing to do to shoot them all in the head with the tranq gun, since there didn't seem to be any painkillers around.

But this, uh, pissed off the people I didn't knock out. Which makes me think they're just dicks.

reibeatall
06-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I just met with Rat unit, and while I love this game, I'm not very good at it. I keep playing it like I was playing the online game (shoot everything) and this whole "sneaking mission" thing seems to be going a bit over my head. I sneak a bit, but it usually ends up that sneaking only delays the inevitable gunfight.

Jakanden
06-12-2008, 06:15 AM
I apparently lost a LOT of goodwill with the first militia because, well..

I didn't have the Militia outfit at that time so just tranqued everyone and moved on.

Kishi
06-12-2008, 07:07 AM
I'll be picking it up today, but I still have no PS3. I realize I'm making it hard on myself, but I really want a 60-gigger.

Parish
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Rei, the battle after meeting with Rat Patrol is the first real knock-down-drag-out fight in the game. It's supposed to be tough.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
The battle Senor Frog is referring to was incredible -- I absolutely did not expect so much action in a Metal Gear game. It makes me fear for a future no-kill playthrough.

Here's a pro-tip: the first mission briefing is only accessible via the main menu -- it doesn't just play like the other ones. There are some very useful items in that briefing if you take control of the Mk. II and explore. Definitely do that before Act II as one item in particular helps a lot in the later areas of that act.

estragon
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I had a long day at work and want to play more, but am really tired and am calling it a day right after meeting Drebin. Since I played a lot of the MGO Beta, the controls feel completely natural, although I've still got caught once or twice out of carelessness.

I really enjoy hiding in this game so far though, probably more so than any other Metal Gear game because the new camo system = love. I see how someone could complain it's too automatic, but it's not like in MGS3 you didn't just go to your menu and select whatever gave you the highest percentage, killing the pace and tension of the evading you were doing. It seems to me like having the game automatically take you up to a high percentage when you stay still keeps the same gameplay element without forcing you through needless menus.

In any case, I'm super excited to keep going with this tomorrow and wish I didn't have to go to work.

Also, I loved the hell out of the intro for its sheer craziness. Did anyone else notice you can change the chanel?

reibeatall
06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Rei, the Super Secret Fight is the first real knock-down-drag-out fight in the game. It's supposed to be tough.

Yeah, that part was really cool, and it was then that I realized that I'm going to have to shoot a lot of people.

Act 1 kill total - 111.

Tomm Guycot
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Also, I loved the hell out of the intro for its sheer craziness. Did anyone else notice you can do the thing?

In fact, I highly suggest that you change the channel.

*mysterious music*

Niku
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Proof of heavenly hatred against me: my prior no-problems HDMI connection has decided not to work at all now that I have MGS4. I'm hoping somehow downloading this GLACIAL system update (25%! Go, go!) my PS3 was asking for will fix the problem, but if not it looks like the showcase for my system will be played in standard-def until I can get a new cable. My frown can be felt 'round the world.

Kishi
06-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I'll be playing in standard-def, too, god help me. I could take it to a friend's house to play on his HDTV, but then I'd lose the intimacy of being alone with the game.

kungfukid
06-12-2008, 11:33 AM
The fight with the Octopus chick is one of the most brilliant, yet most fucking disturbing things I have ever been a part of.

Sprite
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
My PS3 hasn't even shipped yet. I so wanted to be in on this Fun Club.

All that spoiler-text...

Savathun
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I just beat Laughing Octopus. I screwed up the first time because I didn't realize she could change her shape so dramatically. And I SAW HER hiding in that box, but I thought "Well, I shot it and nothing happened, so it must be spare parts, like that raven wing in the militia house. Nope. That was her.

Also, um... crop circle!?

TheSL
06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
So I'm guessing part of the NDA was the fact that you have to freakin install after every chapter instead of just once? Its kind of annoying.

Otherwise, its totally awesome!

Savathun
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I like how each install time basically says "You realize how long you've been playing this, right? Take a break. Jesus."

Parish
06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
So I'm guessing part of the NDA was the fact that you have to freakin install after every chapter instead of just once? Its kind of annoying.

Otherwise, its totally awesome!

You also have to reinstall the first chapter when you start a second playthrough! It's grrrreat.

kungfukid
06-12-2008, 01:22 PM
You also have to reinstall the first chapter when you start a second playthrough! It's grrrreat.

Are you kidding? Are these really installs or is Kojima poking fun at the "swap disks" thing?

Savathun
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Are you kidding? Are these really installs or is Kojima poking fun at the "swap disks" thing?

I honestly don't even know anymore, since this is a game where someone or, God help us, several someones lovingly rendered a crap stain on a character's pants.

mike
06-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, the Blu-ray aggrandizing "insert disc 2" gag in Act IV seems a little empty when you realize disc swapping has been replaced with a mechanism that's more both frequent and disruptive, although the act breaks are usually decent enough places to interrupt or finish your play session. At least there's the slight consolation that install times seem inversely proportional to the cutscene density of each act.

I wonder if they could patch in an option to do a one-time full install. Is there any reason not to other than to prevent "requires X GB of free space" from appearing in reviews and drawing negative attention?

Eusis
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
*mysterious music*
(I really recommend doing what he says before reading my spoiler) Wow, so I really might have been the only one to have noticed your cameo? I went 'Holy shit!' at that, and was wondering why no one was pointing something like THAT out, I hadn't flipped through the channels, not knowingly anyway.

As for the game itself, I got the drum can but I keep dying on the way to the next area. Still getting used to it I guess since they're the results of dumb screw ups like not paying attention to my health.

O..O~
06-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I jumped at the start of the game with the little quiz show thing when the camera showed tomm. I was like "hey, I slightly know that guy!"

Calorie Mate
06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
This game is great. Everyone's pretty much said it all and I'm going to go play again in a minute, so I'll just throw out my favorite lil' detail so far: if Snake looks stupid in a cutscene, you can shake the controller at any time to clear the Octo Camo.

Oh, and Sunny was playing a PSP!

Kishi
06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Are there any spoilers in the manual, like how the MGS2 manual gave away Raiden? Reading it will give me something to do while I wait to actually play the game.

Tomm Guycot
06-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Are there any spoilers in the manual, like how the MGS2 manual gave away Raiden? Reading it will give me something to do while I wait to actually play the game.

No spoilers.

Abominable K
06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
The battles in this game are crazy intense. The only problem I'm having so far is that my Psyche gauge keeps dropping incredibly quickly, which is making fighting difficult. I tried using the iPod to reduce stress, but it doesn't really seem to help. I really don't want to have to resort to smoking.

SilentSnake
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Just fired it up and am installing. I love how Old Snake lights up a cigarrette just as the Health Warning comes on.

Edit: WHAT THE HELL DAVID HAYTER

Rosencrantz
06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
During the battle scene just before the cutscene that introduces the Beasts, I accidentally fell off a building and died. During the "Snake? SNAAKE!" bit, I could see marionette strings on Snake - I guess the implication is that the only way that a veteran like Snake could die in such a stupid way is if he's under some form of control.

Also, I guess I just finished Act I and the next part is loading - I'm glad to get that part over with, since almost every scene in Act I was already revealed in trailers over the past couple years.

SilentSnake
06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Dang it transitions from the cut scenes so smoothly. I was caught napping both times. This is impressive.

Eirikr
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I thought this game seemed a lot more difficult at first, but then I got accustomed to the controls and started SLAMMING people. That never gets old.

kungfukid
06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, the fact they decided to westernize the control scheme really throws you off at first, especially if you've spent the last week replaying the previous games.

O..O~
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I've been making my way though the game with the tranq gun, thinking of upgrading all my guns on my second playthrough.

Does the amount of weight you are carrying actually have an effect at all? I can't tell if they list that just for show or not.

SilentSnake
06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Cripes there's an in-game podcast. That's batshit insane.

Jakanden
06-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Does the amount of weight you are carrying actually have an effect at all? I can't tell if they list that just for show or not.

Yeah, once it gets over a certain weight, Snake starts to get stressed.

The entire segment with the Rat Patrol is wicked. It is definitely not what I expected in a MGS game.

Parish
06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
The entire segment with the Rat Patrol is wicked. It is definitely not what I expected in a MGS game.
It would have been horrible in the previous games' engines. I was pretty stressed when that sequence started up, dreading how clumsily it would play out, but I totally aced it and decided to play more aggressively from that point on.

Jakanden
06-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I played through a good portion of it in First Person. It works surprisingly well and I will be using it more often now.

Could have done with the toilet humor though. I know Johnny has had problems the entire series, but he didn't need to take it that far.

Savathun
06-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I played through a good portion of it in First Person. It works surprisingly well and I will be using it more often now.

Could have done with the ugh though. I know meh has had problems the entire series, but he didn't need to take it that far.

Yes, that whole thing really got on my nerves. Thank God we don't have any smell-related peripherals because Kojima would be ALL over that.

SilentSnake
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I can actually aim grenades worth a damn in this game.

Tomm Guycot
06-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I cannot figure out how to effectively use the compress.

Also, what is the point of the syringe?

Thanks!

Savathun
06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Seeing Tomm in the opening was VERY strange for me, especially since I was already have asleep and slightly feverish at the time.

So thanks for that, that really weirded me out.

Eirikr
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
God dammit, this Laughing Octopus fight is really pissing me off. I've sorta figured out how to do it, but it's going to drag on for a while.

SilentSnake
06-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Holy crap. Awesome moment alert! In the very beginning of Act II, I crawled to where the rebels were being held at gunpoint by the PMC soldiers. Thinking that taking care of those guys would free the rebels and create a diversion, I did just that. The rebels got up and started fighting the PMCs. And even though the rebels died, it clustered together a crap load of PMC dudes. I took great joy in tranquilizing every last one. Whole lot of bodies on the ground now.

Eirikr
06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
FUCK

Fought that damn Octopus for nearly an hour and I died. There has to be an easier way. So far I've been just playing a waiting game, steadfastly maintaining to deplete her stamina with the stun knife. This is taking forever, though. Help! I should have just picked easy mode, the first time I play through a Metal Gear, I do it for the story anyway.

SilentSnake
06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Is it just me or is Rosemary completely useless? I get no effect from what is in the spoiler.

EDIT: Oh so THAT is what the Compress is for.

Parish
06-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Does the stun pistol not work? Remember that if you're running short on ammo you can stock up at Drebin Mart. The stun knife is an awful way to fight ANY boss in this game -- they all require ranged weapons.

Tomm Guycot
06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Otacon going on about TRAPS is the clue to Octopus.

lay mines.

Abominable K
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Octupus stuff.

Screw all that! If you're trying to beat her non-lethally, it doesn't matter how you take her out in Beast form, as long as you take her out non-lethally in Beauty form. This holds true for all of the Beauty and Beast members, AFAIK.

estragon
06-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah, that part was really cool, and it was then that I realized that I'm going to have to shoot a lot of people.

That was when I realized I was going to have to put a lot of people to sleep, you murderous bastard.

Tomm Guycot
06-13-2008, 02:47 AM
That was when I realized I was going to have to put a lot of people to sleep, you murderous bastard.

War has changed, estragon.

Eusis
06-13-2008, 04:35 AM
For Octopus, I personally used the shotgun. Maybe it wasn't the best way (ok, I can't possibly imagine better for the beauty form since each blast took roughly HALF of her damage off in tranq mode), but it was pretty effective.

I'm guessing this is when it gets ridiculously cutscene intensive?

Jeanie
06-13-2008, 05:23 AM
War has changed, estragon.

War? War never changes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuellhrUQmk)

Balrog
06-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I got my PS3 yesterday and dove in after dealing with a stupid scrolling purple line issue caused by the PS3. My favorite moment so far is when Snake looks at the box then looks at the oil drum. He kinda looks at it like "it's kinda silly but I'm old and I don't give a crap, let's give it a shot."

Brickroad
06-13-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm a good ways into Act 2 now.

Halfway through Act 1 I left the room to refresh my and my friend's soda. Girlfriend asked how I liked the game.

"Well you get this magic chameleon suit that changes colors depending on what you're standing next to, and we found this naked statue, so I hopped up there and turned into a statue. Then I reached over and put my hand on the naked statue man's pecker, and we thought that was pretty funny, so I did it a couple more times and then his weiner broke off, and I felt bad."

"...what the hell kind of game is that?"

Heh.

So yeah, I think I definitely missed something in the Laughing Octopus fight. Like, I totally feel like I played it the wrong way and that there's a much easier way I'll know to use for my next playthrough, kind of like how I just brute forced my way through all the fights in MGS3 and everyone was like "just use poisoned food, retard".

Niku
06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I used no less than 7 rations on the Octopus fight. I didn't feel too accomplished.

And does the lethal/non-lethal aspect of fighting these bosses apply to the kill count as well? If I eat the delicious candy shell with shotgun blasts, it doesn't matter? Because that probably would have been helpful to know (I might have only used 6 rations) and I will keep it in mind for the future if so. Not that it matters with my like 93 kills racked up so far due to the Frog fight after meeting the Rat Pack. Seriously, it seems kind of counter intuitive to just tranq everything this time around when your companions are blowing people away left and right, so I kinda just went to town there.

estragon
06-13-2008, 08:59 AM
So . . . my the game froze during the post-Octopus tracking sequence. When I restarted my PS3, it decided that it can no longer read discs.

I'm hoping this is some temporary overheating thing or something. It will suck if I have to send in my PS3 to get fixed before I can finish this game.

Matchstick
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, now that I made it a decent way into Act I, I figured I could read this thread and see some comments, but since some people are spoiling fight characters and techniques (not bitching, just noting it), I guess I'll wait until I finish Act II before I come back.

I did find it funny that they switched the X and O buttons in the control scheme, but the manual still describes things using the old scheme.

Tomm Guycot
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't understand all you guys tranqing everyone. The only game that seems built for that is MGS3 (MGS2 would be except destroying machines counts against you like kills, and that's complete BS).

I just pretend Big Boss was in an age that respected life, while Solid Snake is kill or be killed.

TheSL
06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
I tranq things because it makes the game a little more interesting for me. Well, that and the fact that I can knock a guy out and when he's found they just wake him up instead of calling for tons of reinforcements in most cases.

Brickroad
06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I tranq things because it makes the game a little more interesting for me. Well, that and the fact that I can knock a guy out and when he's found they just wake him up instead of calling for tons of reinforcements in most cases.

This, plus you don't have to constantly be replacing your supressors.

By far though my most used weapons are the random-string-of-letters-and-numbers sniper rifle (with laser sight) and good ol' CQC.

And by CQC I mean "knocking people to the ground" or "grabbing them and slicing their necks open" because I have absolutely no use for the other 39,000 things you can do with CQC.

Balrog
06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Are the two eggs supposed to be symbolic? Because I laughed when that occurred to me.

TheSL
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Are the two eggs supposed to be symbolic? Because I laughed when that occurred to me.

Well, when they show you that the two chickens are named Solid and Liquid its pretty much beating you over the head with it.

Niku
06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't understand all you guys tranqing everyone. The only game that seems built for that is MGS3 (MGS2 would be except destroying machines counts against you like kills, and that's complete BS).

I just pretend Big Boss was in an age that respected life, while Solid Snake is kill or be killed.

Maybe I'm just awful, but it takes me at most two shots with the tranq gun to put someone down whereas with lethal weapons I'm shooting forever and ever.

Eirikr
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, I did finally beat Octopus, and that tranquilizing will only register when in Beauty form will help for the future, but I didn't even have enough mines to make the "traps" effective. It was a tense fight, for sure, I just wish it didn't have to go on for so long.

And then there's Act III. More on that in the other thread.

Balrog
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, when they show you that the two chickens are named Refried and Beans its pretty much beating you over the head with it.

I see what you did there.

Is it just me or does it seem like Snake just doesn't give a shit in this one? Like, he just meets this arms dealer and after shooting the shit for five minutes he's like yeah, go ahead and inject me with that, couldn't hurt, I'm dying of Foxdie anyhoo.

Parish
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe I'm just awful, but it takes me at most two shots with the tranq gun to put someone down whereas with lethal weapons I'm shooting forever and ever.
You probably just don't play as cautiously when you're playing to kill.

reibeatall
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't understand what everybody's problem with the Laughing Octopus fight was. It took me probably 10 minutes. And no, I didn't use traps.

Eirikr
06-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't understand what everybody's problem with the Laughing Octopus fight was. It took me probably 10 minutes. And no, I didn't use traps.

So what did you do, then?

My mistake was being trained by MGS2 and 3 to prioritize depleting the stamina gauge, when apparently, that doesn't matter at first.

TheSL
06-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Octopus took so long for me because I was trying to tranq her to death. There really aren't that many weak points to hit with that and she blocks all of the shots if she's actually paying attention to what you're doing.

reibeatall
06-13-2008, 12:28 PM
So what did you do, then?

When the fight started, I killed all the frogs until she came out. Then, I'd find her, shoot her in the stomach a few times with the P90 or M4, run when she started squirting her ink out, and then wait until she appeared on my radar again. Lather Rinse Repeat.

Ohh yeah, and I dodged her bullets too.

SilentSnake
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Got the Octopus fight done and it was quite fun! Metal Gear Hide-and-seek plus shooting. Of course this was followed by big game tracking and House of the Dead Joins The Army. It turns out that variety is the spice of MGS4.

Eirikr
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
al;skd;alksd;lkasl;k

Ha, that's embarrassingly simple.

Before I decided to to tranq, I shot her a few times with a lethal weapon and found it didn't do that much damage anyway. I guess I was just using the wrong weapon.

Alixsar
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Man, pretty damn great so far. I don't understand what all the fuss about the [Laughing Octopus] fight is. [All you need to do is crouch and use the Threat Ring/use the normal mode of the Solid Eye to determine what room she's in, and then you're good to go. And when she's low on life and starts coming after you, just use the tall crates in the hall as cover. Some of those hiding spots of hers were really great. I think my favorite was when she was in the box and you just saw her tentacles coming out of it.]

Also, that sniper rifle I got from the PMCs is the most bad ass thing, ever. I forget what it's name is, but it's absolutely incredible.

God damn it, having to work on a Friday really sucks. Especially when there's MGS4 to play.

pher
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I think my favorite part of the Laughing Octopus fight was when she masqueraded as the woman in the painting. I just shot it out of suspicion and when she came into view, I couldn't stop grinning.

Abominable K
06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
The Solid Eye makes that fight really easy. Just use NV.

Calorie Mate
06-13-2008, 02:40 PM

This was my outlook on it, too...although usually my playthroughs were more in line with what I describe below:

See, I generally tranq all the ugards in an area...then knife them all individually. Why? Because I'm a jerk.

Brickroad
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
See, I generally tranq all the ugards in an area...then knife them all individually. Why? Because I'm a jerk.

This is my basic strategy during alerts, except instead of tranqs I just roll into them. You can knock over multiple guys at once, crouch down and stab them all, then be on your way to hiding in just a few seconds.

Did anyone else find it unbelievably strange that Raiden lectures Snake -- SOLID MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE -- on how to track people, quoting his tutelage at the hands of an Alaskin tracking expert, who probably bought his gear from the same wilderness outfitter as Snake did when he was living in Alaska!?

Dunno, that part just made me chuckle.

TheSL
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
I thought it was funnier that they brought Raiden back, made him a bad-ass, and then five minutes later he's beat to the brink of death and back to being the same old pussy he was in MGS2. It was neat that they used the doctor from MG2 to save his life, though.

Jakanden
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM

I am doing it on the bosses because I am betting there is a bonus to doing so like there was for MGS3 (ie: in MGS 3 you got camo for it).

EDIT - I tranqued her and got FaceCamo which I assume is normal and the Laughing Beauty skin. Did those of you who killed her get it?

alexb
06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Just the head when I did it. I guess you get the body only if you take down the body through nonviolent means?

Jakanden
06-13-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought it was funnier that they brought Raiden back, made him a bad-ass, and then five minutes later

I dunno, I think he is still a bad mother fucker. I didn't really see how he became a whiny bitch again unless it happens later on (I just started Act III).

SilentSnake
06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Before I forget, the Javelin is a Gekkou killer. You can down one with a single missile.

Rosencrantz
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
I think my favorite part of the something something

There were a few good moments in that fight (although it did run on too long overall), but I think my favorite was when she was just hiding in a cardboard box, with part of her head and one or two tentacles popped out. That was the time I realized that she wasn't just standing in plain sight, and the battle went a lot quicker after that.

Adrenaline
06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Quick question: Is there anything between Sunny cracking open the eggs in the beginning and the first codec conversation that isn't in the Mission Briefing on the title screen? I want to make sure I didn't skip anything.

Balrog
06-14-2008, 12:00 AM
During the second mission briefing at the beginning of act II Sunny is reciting the Fibonacci Sequence. This game just got double brownie points from me.

Savathun
06-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Did anyone else find it unbelievably strange that I saw a strange light while driving home...[/i]!?

Yeah, and the best thing is that it's not even a remotely difficult section. It's just a whole lot of fun. So it would've been simpler just to say "Snake, get ready to really enjoy the next few minutes."

TheSL
06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I dunno, I think he is still a bad mother fucker.

Re: Raiden - oh, my life is so terrible! I have nothing to live for! I have no family! etc, etc

Adrenaline
06-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Never mind, the game doesn't even show the first briefing as someone pointed out on the first page.

You know this game is good because I started at 1, thinking I'd just get started, and played for 3 hours before deciding to get some rest. I love the mixture of stealth and creative combat you can do in the battlefield, and escaping the mansion while Frogs attack was probably the series' best non-boss action sequence, and I'm pretty sure it's not a contest.

Tomm Guycot
06-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Depending on your definition of "non boss sequence," I think you're going to be correcting yourself repeatedly throughout the game.

Adrenaline
06-14-2008, 02:23 AM
That sounds good to me.

Jakanden
06-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Re: Raiden - [/COLOR]

I must not have gotten that far (on Raging Raven) because he hasn't done that yet.

onimaruxlr
06-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The Drebin Shop and New Game+ type dealie ensures that I will be playing this game through multiple times, a I have not endeavored in since getting the stealth camo in the original MGS. Too many toys that I didn't play with that I want to try out, like the stun knife. I can't wait to play through the first and second acts again with a fully stocked arsenal.

Matchstick
06-14-2008, 02:35 PM
The stuff Senor Frog is referring to was incredible -- I absolutely other stuff. It makes me fear for a future stuff redux playthrough.

Agreed. It makes me wonder what game Tycho from PA was playing considering how well it all worked.

I cannot figure out how to effectively use the compress.

Also, what is the point of the syringe?

It seems like the compress is a HoT type thing. Naomi tells you that the syringe will help you regain control as your nanomachines start to flip out.

Because they keep telling you that these are "sneaking missions" and Otacon says twice as you near firefights that you have no enemies in them and you shouldn't be killing people, although the second go round he then turns around and says, "Well, if you help the non-PMC side, that might be a good idea."

Well, when they show you that the two chickens are named Romulus and Remus its pretty much beating you over the head with it.

If you use the Mk.II, you can see that there's also a "Solidus" chicken.

Before I decided to do one thing, I was trying to do another

I used the M4, but it seemed that it did more damage when she was hiding than when she was coming after me and it definitely did next to no damage when she balled up.

The Raiden discussion seems to me to belong in the other thread since nothing in Act II that I saw indicates the things that people are saying.

Regarding the Octopus fight tranq vs. kill issue: either way, you get the FaceCamo, but if you tranq her, then you get the Laughing Beauty FaceCamo as well.

One other red pen moment for me: when talking about the way the Drebin system worksin the install messages, it says when the weapon you pick up is already in "your position" instead of "possession". I acknowledge that I took way too many English classes in college and that these things stick out to me way more than I'd like.

Adrenaline
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Just the head when I did it. I guess you get the body only if you take down the body through nonviolent means?

You can use her face with the face camo if you take down the beauty form nonlethally.

Figure Four
06-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Well despite being knocked out most of yesterday with a killer cold (which I'm still fighting) I just beat Act II. Dear God, is this game ever amazing. The new controls are fantastic and I love how when I get an alert it's no longer the end of the world (like in MGS2) and I no longer have to just hide until it goes away (MGS3) I can actually fight my way out.

The fight with Laughing Octopus was great. My favorite moment was when I was walking through the hallway and suddenly some drops of blood fall at my feet. I looked up and there she was.

I also love how open this game is. Whenever I died rather than just walking the same path over and over until I got it right I could just try a different way. Too many enemies down this street? Just take a back alley or go through this building. I can't wait to try a second playthrough.

TheSL
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
The Raiden discussion seems to me to belong in the other thread since nothing in Act II that I saw indicates the things that people are saying.

Its mostly the end of Act II, so I guess that should have technically been in the Act III+ thread. Sorry.

Odin
06-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Did anyone else find it unbelievably strange that Miller!?!?

Dunno, that part just made me chuckle.

I was amused and a little surprised that Snake didn't speak up for himself.

I'm one of the guys that goes through tranqing everyone. MGS2 allowed it, and required it for high code names, and MGS3 required it if you wanted all the cool camo. Laughing Octopus was really frustrating for me, because even though I quickly figured out that NV Solid Eye and the ink spots on the floor would let me track her, she kept getting me with rolling attacks that would track me around 2 corners and then hit me for 60%+ of my health, killing me in one fell swoop. Draining her stamina gauge was a HORRIBLY long process - I hope later bosses fall a little easier. For the Beauty form I let her grab me and then CQC-flipped her for massive stamina damage (at the cost of some of my health).

Time for me to go hunting!

Adrenaline
06-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Laughing Octopus was really frustrating for me, because even though I quickly figured out annoying attack

Side rolls are your friend.

estragon
06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, my PS3 definitely can't read any discs at all now, so no more Metal Gear 4. This blows.

Luckily this is Japan, so they're coming to my house tomorrow to pick it up to fix it, which is pretty convenient and makes me less irritated with the situation.

Unluckily, it will probably be a week or two until I can play the game again.

Sad times.

Jakanden
06-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Its mostly the end of Act II, so I guess that should have technically been in the Act III+ thread. Sorry.

See this is what I am confused about. I saw nothing in the end of Act II (I played it again) or the beginning of Act III that showed this. I have the subtitles on and tried to check all codecs I could to see if something happened, but never saw his whining.

kungfukid
06-14-2008, 09:41 PM
See this is what I am confused about. I saw nothing in the end of Act II (I played it again) or the beginning of Act III that showed this. I have the subtitles on and tried to check all codecs I could to see if something happened, but never saw his whining.

I didn't really feel he was whining so much as Snake was trying to bring it out of him.

Matchstick
06-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Yeah, my comment was based on me having just finished Act II. There's nothing in there with him whining that I saw. He shows up, does the stuff we saw in one of the trailers, has a short scene in the chopper and that's pretty much the end of the Act.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. I was just figuring that Parish segregated things for a reason and that those that are coming after expect us to stick to the topic at hand to avoid spoilers (even if the discussion isn't truly spoiling much of anything). Maybe it really belongs in the story thread (I'm really not clear on where we're drawing the line between that one and the Act threads). Then again, maybe I'm being too sensitive and should finish the game before I worry about any of this discussion. ;)

Matchstick
06-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Just finished Act III at 2:55am and the first message to come up during the install was marked something like "[Isn't it a little late warning]" and that it's after 2am so maybe it's a bit too late to be playing.

Jakanden
06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah I got one Friday night saying something like "Isn't it time you took a break? You have been playing over 3 hours".

Odin
06-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Question: In Act II, when you're tracking Naomi, did anyone else see the message on the rock where the path first splits? It said "southeast
29-W5574" or something close - the 7 might have been a 1. I couldn't figure out what it meant.

I really enjoyed taking all the wrong paths and seeing where they were lying in wait for me, then sniping them with the Mosin Nagant. There were some clever ambushes... including one bastard who was sitting RIGHT NEXT TO a claymore! He had some balls, I tell you.

I didn't like how you needed to find the chaff grenade to get past the last Gekkou in the marketplace. I died twice trying to sneak/roll past it, after watching three Javelin shots curve away at a 90 degree angle from it. Can I get that shielding system? Please?

onimaruxlr
06-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I didn't like how you needed to find the chaff grenade to get past the last Gekkou in the marketplace. I died twice trying to sneak/roll past it, after watching three Javelin shots curve away at a 90 degree angle from it. Can I get that shielding system? Please?

I uh, I actually did manage to somersault past that guy

Matchstick
06-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I uh, did some cool stuff.

I was able to as well after a few tries.

Regarding Raiden, the stuff that people were talking about happens during the Mission Briefing for Act IV.

Tomm Guycot
06-15-2008, 04:24 PM
You can shoot that Gekko in the legs w/ any assault rifle and knock him down long enough to run past.

The exact targets show up if you have Solid Eye equipped.

alexb
06-15-2008, 04:29 PM
It's just below the knee joints.

Eusis
06-15-2008, 06:12 PM
something about claymores
That wound up being one of my favorite personal moments in the game for me.I sent out Mk. II to disable the claymore when I saw it... then noticed the guy setting it up. I instead sent him over, knocked him out, and made him land on his own claymore.

Jakanden
06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I uh, I actually did manage to somersault past that guy

Yeah, I had no problem getting past him either playing on the normal difficulty.

TheSL
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Regarding Raiden, the stuff that people were talking about happens during the Mission Briefing for Act IV.

Sorry, I guess it must have all run together in my memory since I played like 12 hours straight clearing chapters two through four in one sitting. It wasn't that spoilerish, though, thankfully.

alexb
06-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Anyone have any tips for surviving in Big Boss Hard mode? They can see as well as I do and once I've been seen, I can't hide. They can hear me walking in a crouch from 50 feet away. They can see me from 30 feet away at anything less than 85% camo index. My old strategies no longer work. I don't even know what they could change for The Boss Extreme and still have the game be playable.

Matchstick
06-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Sorry, I guess it must have all run together in my memory since I played like 12 hours straight clearing chapters two through four in one sitting. It wasn't that spoilerish, though, thankfully.

No, definitely not that bad. I just didn't want to see the discussion to unfold further and go down a path that was more spoilleriffic. ;)

SilentSnake
06-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Geez some of the secrets in Metal Gear games are really...oblique. I didn't even know about the dolls until I accidentally read about it somewhere online.

Stiv
06-18-2008, 12:12 AM
I gave up and bought a PS3 for this one because I was able to grab a 20G for "cheap". Act I didn't do much for me (except the fight with Rat Patrol, which was amazing) but the first half of Act II played like MGS3+ and the last half was just absolutely pure solid gold.

I thought it was kind of weird that I was able to play Act I like a straight-up action game, racking up almost enough kills there to cover the majority of my career in any other MGS game (about 90). It sure was nice of those rebels to decide to start ignoring me, though. I haven't been taking advantage of the Drebin shop because honestly I don't see much need for it: There are only six weapons (plus some grenades) you'd ever need to use over the course of the game. Maybe I'm missing out.

Savathun
06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I only used the drebin shop for ammo and the Mosin N. I don't see the point in killing people in an MGS game. It just feels completely wrong.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
06-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I only used the drebin shop for ammo and the Mosin N. I don't see the point in killing people in an MGS game. It just feels completely wrong.

I used about five guns between my two different playthroughs -- but I do like collecting them! There's also a bonus if you get 60 different weapon types.

Odin
06-18-2008, 04:36 AM

I'm with you. The Mosin N. was my first purchase. I'll blast a mech or two, but killing people is what you do in other games. Tactical Non-Lethal Stealth Action.

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 08:11 AM
You guys are crazy. Silenced Operator ftw. A sleeping guard will eventually wake up, get on his radio, and be all "SOMEONE KNOCKED ME OUT GUYS. BE ON THE LOOKOUT." and then it's Caution-99.99sville for you.

If these assholes didn't want to get killed, they shouldn't have joined a PMC.

(But that's just me.)

SilentSnake
06-18-2008, 08:13 AM
But the downside of that is that if you kill someone and someone else sees the body, then you get a Caution. If you tranq them and someone sees them sleeping, they will merely wake them up.

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 08:15 AM
But the downside of that is that if you kill someone and someone else sees the body, then you get a Caution. If you tranq them and someone sees them sleeping, they will merely wake them up.

Stack the bodies somewhere out of the way.

Or just chill, and when Guard #2 comes along, kill him too.

Savathun
06-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Most of the PMCs were child soldiers or people who thought it was just like a game thanks to the nanomachines.

You monster.

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Most of the PMCs were child soldiers or people who thought it was just like a game thanks to the nanomachines.

You monster.

If it makes you feel any better, I tranqed all the beauties because they are hot.

I tranqed Vamp too but I don't think it was for that same reason.

Savathun
06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
They die outside of their suit after four minutes.

You monster.

Parish
06-18-2008, 09:28 AM
You guys are crazy. Silenced Operator ftw. A sleeping guard will eventually wake up, get on his radio, and be all "SOMEONE KNOCKED ME OUT GUYS. BE ON THE LOOKOUT." and then it's Caution-99.99sville for you.

(But that's just me.)
Now that I think about it, isn't it sort of dumb that all those guys using SOP have to radio in to say "Hey guys linked into my brain, something's up!"? It's the genome soldier gameplay conundrum all over again.

Willm
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM

I really hate Vamp. Not for killing Emma or anything, but because I think he's a poor character, both in personality and design. Besides, he personifies everything I dislike in the MGS4 story...damn magical nanomachines making him "immortal."

So no, I didn't use tranq darts. I used the railgun. Too bad it didn't make a difference...

You know what's REALLY fun though? Using tranquilizers on the Gekkos legs...nothing beats watching one collapse and flop around while mooing.

Now that I think about it, isn't it sort of dumb that all those guys using SOP have to radio in to say "Hey guys linked into my brain, something's up!"? It's the genome soldier gameplay conundrum all over again.

Ever play with teams in MGO without a headset? Sheer insanity. Magical brain-linking SOP nanomachines or not, people don't understand basic teamwork unless you are screaming orders into a headset.

Adrenaline
06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I used about five guns between my two different playthroughs -- but I do like collecting them! There's also a bonus if you get 60 different weapon types.

Yeah, I want to eventually have every weapon in the game, just because. Though that old rifle will take a long time to afford, unless I can get up to half a mil DP by Act 5.

alexb
06-18-2008, 10:39 AM
And then you can use it to shoot Mitsurugi, right?

wahoninja
06-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I really hate Vamp. Not for killing Emma or anything, but because I think he's a poor character, both in personality and design. Besides, he personifies everything I dislike in the MGS4 story...damn magical nanomachines making him "immortal."

Nanomachines are the new Midichlorians.

Soldiers going crazy? Nanomachines.
Snake dying? Nanomachines.
Mantis controlling people? Nanomachines.
Cancer?
Death?
Diarrhea?

Calorie Mate
06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't see the point in killing people in an MGS game. It just feels completely wrong.

Because slitting a guy's throat never gets old? I mean, I think doing it while I'm some starved lunatic in a jungle made a little more sense than doing it as a dying old man, but hey, war has changed.

(I started a second playthrough the other day, and was spotted by a guard. He called for back up, so insteadn of killing him, I evaded him and waited for the back up to show up, then CQCed one of them and slit their throats one by one in front of the guy that had spotted me.

Moral of this story: if you're going to be a bitch and call your friends, I'm going to show you how useless they are before I kill you.)

(But that's just me.)

Also, this. A sleeping guard can eventually become backup; but a dead man can't help his comrades. You guys are right, in that tranqing guys means the other guards won't freak out when they see the guy you got; but tranqing everyone in an area, then slitting their throats one by one? Now that's just smart.

Adrenaline
06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
And then you can use it to shoot Mitsurugi, right?

What?

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Because slitting a guy's throat never gets old?

I take it I'm not the only one whose first encounter with The Sorrow included an endless parade of dumbfounded crooked-necks, yeah?

Rosencrantz
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm all about putting soldiers to sleep, and I rarely if ever have the problem where they wake up and call their mommy about it because by that time I'm already on the next screen and they no longer exist.

Jakanden
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I take it I'm not the only one whose first encounter with The Sorrow included an endless parade of dumbfounded crooked-necks, yeah?

No you aren't. My second time through I tried to kill them in different ways to get different guys there (Shoot em in the balls!).

Matchstick
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM

I think it was. ;)

Calorie Mate
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Good lord, I still have nightmares about it sometimes. I loved it.

Alixsar
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

My parade went on for something like ten minutes, and it was almost all headless people.

IT WAS AWESOME.

Willm
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
My favorite moment during The Sorrow fight was watching vultures peck the hell out of the soldiers I murdered on the mountain top. I loved the Para-Medic conversation about eating the vultures as well. Good times.

I think Para-Medic is probably my favorite codec character in any MGS. Some of the conversations between her and Big Boss were hilarious. Which is why I hate the fact that MGS4 revealed that she became a morally bankrupt scientist who tortured Grey Fox for years. Thanks a lot, Kojima...

Odin
06-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Mine had several guards in it despite me not killing more than 3 the whole game up to that point. However, I had a seemingly endless trail of fish, rabbits, frogs, snakes, birds, and mountain goats. What? They were delicious!

I'm going to hang out here because I'm still only spoiler-cleared for the first page of discussion in the next thread. Real life sucks. :(

Rosencrantz
06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Late Act II stuff: Replaying the game. I was doing the part where you track down Naomi, this time taking all the wrong paths looking for hidden stuff. One thing I found was a rock with some writing on it (it's actually in an area you HAVE to pass through). It says:

southe(something)
29-w5574

I did a Google search and only found a few people who were also wondering what the hell it means.

I feel stupid for not taking a picture, too. ...Especially since I was taking pictures of a bunch of other things in that area.

Adrenaline
06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I only took one wrong turn in that part and ended up at a cabin where there was a stereo playing a recording of Naomi calling for help. I'll definitely explore more next time I play.

Rosencrantz
06-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I only took one wrong turn in that part and ended up at a cabin where there was a stereo playing a recording of Naomi calling for help. I'll definitely explore more next time I play.

I took a couple pictures (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4838&page=4) of other weird things I found out there.

Odin
06-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Late Act II stuff: Weird shit.

Yeah, I asked about that a while back and nobody even commented on it. I have no idea what it means. Sorry I can't be of help.

I'll check the photos thread when I've beaten the game. Damn spoilers. I also enjoyed the stereo with Naomi crying for help that someone else mentioned. The traps are as much fun as the tracking!

djSyndrome
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
For Octopus, I personally used the shotgun.

This works well if you're close enough to do enough damage with one blast. Otherwise the reload time leaves you wide open. I beat her with a combination of the Shotgun, grenades and P90.

Also, Solid Eye in NV mode is your friend.

Destil
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
This works well if you're close enough to do enough damage with one blast. Otherwise the reload time leaves you wide open. I beat her with a combination of the Shotgun, grenades and P90.

Also, Solid Eye in NV mode is your friend.Slug shots still deal decent damage at range, though while you're in the menu you may as well switch guns entirely. Is it just me or is she like Vamp in MGS2 where she blocks everything you throw at her on full-auto? I went with the M4 on burst fire for the most part...

SpoonyGundam
06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I started The Boss Extreme again earlier, and it's going quite a bit more smoothly this time.

Three pieces of advice for anyone thinking about trying this:

1. Stock up on nonlethal ammo in the previous game. You can't buy any from Drebin in Extreme, and you're limited to 50 shots each weapon at most. You want to grab some of the emotion rounds (including colored smoke grenades) available on replays, too. They're functionally about the same as normal tranqs.

2. The militia hates Snake on Extreme. I don't know if you can even get them to tolerate you at all, much less be able to do it within the time limit for the emblem. You need to work those disguises whenever you're going to be dealing with a lot of them.

3. Don't immediately reset if you get spotted. There's a good chance there's another passage or crawlspace or something around if you look. Spend the time before Snake bites it looking for a better path to use next time. I found a stairway early on like this that I never knew about before, letting me bypass all but one guard.

Adrenaline
06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
2. The militia hates Snake on Extreme. I don't know if you can even get them to tolerate you at all, much less be able to do it within the time limit for the emblem. You need to work those disguises whenever you're going to be dealing with a lot of them.

Where's the disguise in South America, the little starting village thing?

Add to Queue's VsRobot
06-20-2008, 08:18 PM

You can only get the disguise if you save the rebels at the very beginning of Act II from being killed -- smart sniping is a must. If they survive, they'll unlock a small building that includes the SA disguise.

Willm
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
It's a shame you don't get to keep the rebel/militia disguise after their respective acts are over. I thought the South American disguise was pretty cool.

I got the Foxhound ranking on my second playthrough, but I'm not sure I want to go for the Big Boss rank. I have a feeling it would cause more frustration than it's worth, even if it unlocks the Patriot and the awesome face camo. Of course, I say this now, but my obsessive need to unlock everything in a game will probably take over eventually.

SpoonyGundam
06-20-2008, 09:13 PM

If I remember right, it's in the building next to the hostage rebels at the start of Act II. And I'm not sure what exactly caused it, but the Act II rebels took a liking to me. I don't know what those Act I guys' problem is.

Anyway, I just took down Octopus. It hasn't been excessively hard so far, but I lost count of how many times I had to restart at the beginning of Act II. The FROGs before Octopus were hilarious, since I took out over half of them with sleep gas traps. Octopus dropped pretty fast, since she can't block shots from the anti-material rifle. I did have to reload once, though. I accidently shredded a sleeping dude.

EDIT: Also, the iPod song Old L.A. 2040 is completely awesome. It completely prevents your aim from shaking while it's playing. For some reason my psyche started dropping like a rock while I was running through friendly rebel territory, and it didn't really ever recover. I ended up fighting the FROGs before Octopus with basically no psyche and my aim was all over the place. So I placed a couple of sleep traps, then crawled under a bed and popped that song on. Headshots ensued. When you can't use healing items to restore your psyche and you need to conserve ammo, that song is very, very useful.

Adrenaline
06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know what those Act I guys' problem is.

They fell in love with me as soon as I helped in the first skirmish after getting the Solid Eye and used a rocket on the armored vehicle that comes.