PDA

View Full Version : June/July RPG: Etrian Odyssey II

Pages : [1] 2 3

Parish
06-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Apparently this has shipped! Or something. EB Games is showing it as in-stock, anyway. So let us discuss the adventures of Fight and Heal and other anonymous heroes.

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
Atlus | RPG | DS | 2008

Discuss guild names and party builds here! The guild name slot isn't quite big enough for my moniker of choice (Asskickers), so I'm going with El Spite instead. Meanwhile, of course, my world-saving (except not really) warriors from the original will be returning to muck things up again in the name of heroism.

(Anything plot-related beyond the second floor should ideally be treated as a spoiler. ESPECIALLY the uppermost strata.)

Kishi
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I never played the first one (I know, I know). Will it be all right for me to jump right into the sequel, or is it really "Etrian Odyssey for Super Players"?

Loki
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah. Talk Time guild has only gotten to the third floor in 1, and I'm afraid to get II until I beat the game... whenever that is.

PapillonReel
06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Wait, it's out already? Shit, better hit the malls before it's sold out.

TheSL
06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
GameStop still hasn't called me about my preorder yet, so...

reibeatall
06-14-2008, 05:22 PM
GameStop still hasn't called me about my preorder yet, so...

Nich and I have been discussing this. Apparently some GameStops got theirs Friday, whereas most of them will get them next week.

Egarwaen
06-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Pre-ordered from Amazon using the Atlus promo code.

KCar
06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Still working on the first, but plan on buying it right away.

My guild name is Canon - I study English Lit, so I liked the application of personal interest in something that sounds vaguely menacing.

Mazian
06-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Apparently this has shipped! Or something.
[Me, 30 minutes ago] Really? (grabs wallet, starts walking downtown)

Hey, so it has! Thanks for the heads-up. Now I know what I'm doing for the rest of the afternoon: agonizing over new character names.

spineshark
06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I was wondering when this (FC thread) was coming! I'll probably get my English version some time this week, but I'm sticking with my "Fruit Salad" in the import for a while yet because I don't really want to go through the first few floors again.

I never played the first one (I know, I know). Will it be all right for me to jump right into the sequel, or is it really "Etrian Odyssey for Super Players"?
Although I won't the game is essentially harder, it's actually friendlier by and large. Dying sets you back less, and some changes that I've seen so far make money a lot less of a concern.

Anyway, I'm on 10F (kinda, since my run up there died because I fail the "Ariadne's Thread" check a lot) using:
Blackberry - Medic
Peach - Dark Hunter
Apricot - War Magus
Blueberry - Medic
Watermelon - Hexer

I have also tried using a Beast, but I'm definitely not sold on the class right now. The good news is that the equip you can throw on them as soon as they're available makes them kind of viable right away, but they definitely play kind of wacky.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Still working on the first, but plan on buying it right away.

I mean, come on! It's an Atlus game that I will want to play at some point.

nunix
06-14-2008, 06:22 PM
On the one hand, "Psh, I don't need to be first to play some game! I'm going to be playing it for awhile. I don't.. I don't need to have.. it right away.."

NUNIX SO ANGRY! WANT GAME!

Did a full preorder from local place, which means they'll likely have it in next Friday at the -earliest-. Foo.

I'll be copying over a completed EO save, so the Dreamers Guild (they're pretty radical, you know? And it's what I use if "Riskbreaker/s" doesn't work, because I am an unimaginative hack) shall soon be wreckin' up the place. I should spend time working out names and classes now, else it'll be 3-4 weeks before I can actually start.

spine: you know the original J version has all kinds of bugs, right, that the fine Atlus USA folks decided to fix?

Pombar
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
You think you're an unimaginative hack? Every guild/clan/group/team I've had since '98 has been Hokuten.

Sadly, I need a long, deep, portable game for August, so I shan't be playing this with you lot here. Have fun, though!

spineshark
06-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh, I'm quite aware. The whole story goes something like this:

My mom asks me what I want for my birthday, and not able to really come up with anything, I kind of idly joked about the Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2 import. She ended up ordering it, though, and sure enough, Atlus USA announces EO2, about a week later.

A few days after that, it came in, and I fired it up. Played through the beginning, then got totally blocked on 3F. For the next couple months I would fire it up once in a while, wander around, die and get angry, then put it away for another week or two.

Eventually I was fed up with being stuck, especially since the first game was starting to get to me again, and I just started over. Leveled from 1-13 again with my current group, and then started making actual progress. Amazing! So that's where I'm coming from here, and the result is:

I will happily turn over more money to Atlus.
I'm very interested in playing the English version, because I really don't read all that much Japanese, so the story and localization in general both interest me a lot.
I'm aware of the bug fixes and will be happy to see them go.
I'll be excited to have two save files, eventually.
I have a party that's progressing nicely, though, and I don't really want to grind through the beginning of the game a third time -yet- so I'm going to be laying out foes and FOEs with my current team for the near future.

Balrog
06-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll probably miss this one like I miss Fun Clubs the first time around but I am buying it next week if that counts for anything :|

Parish
06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I'll probably miss this one like I miss Fun Clubs the first time around but I am buying it next week if that counts for anything :|
Did you notice how this one runs through July?

PapillonReel
06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Wait, ALL of July, or only 'til halfway?

nunix
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
All of it. It is too much game for only one month to contain! ..it's probably enough game for 6-12 months, actually, but the Fun Club has its limits. But that will just mean we can start a new EO2 thread to run for another year+.

Balrog
06-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Did you notice how this one runs through July?

My brain didn't even bother to parse anything outside of Etrian Odyssey II and Fun Club. I might make it now.

SlimJimm
06-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Wait, it's out already? Shit, better hit the malls before it's sold out.

Rai
06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I must say, I envy you people who can just go out and buy any game you want to whenever you want to. All we have where I live is Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart does not have Etrian Odyssey II. So I'm stuck waiting for my gamestop.com preorder to come through. Though it has next day shipping, so it's not like the wait will be overly long.

Egarwaen
06-14-2008, 09:22 PM
All of it. It is too much game for only one month to contain! ..it's probably enough game for 6-12 months, actually, but the Fun Club has its limits. But that will just mean we can start a new EO2 thread to run for another year+.

Bets that the original EO thread will still be running at that point?

MCBanjoMike
06-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Bets that the original EO thread will still be running at that point?

Why would it ever stop?

I've got a preorder on Amazon.ca for this game, but it honestly doesn't matter if I get it right away or not. I'm a bit stalled on the 5th stratum of the original game (I'm making progress, but it's taking a lot of time) and I can't decide if I'll need a little break from Wizardrying between the two games. Maybe so, maybe not. Either way, this promises to be really sweet. I've gotta say, two of the biggest perks of joining this forum were being turned on to Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3! I probably would have let them pass me by without all of your collective enthusiasm.

Dadgum Roi
06-14-2008, 09:42 PM
My excitement is PALPABLE!!!

I'm interested to see what benefits my EO1 password bring me. I'm not so interested in reusing my old party; I'd like to try out some weird lineups to spice things up.

Mazian
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I appreciate that using your password from EO1 still gives you the option to rename your guild. (Traveling incognito so your reputation doesn't draw in hordes of wanna-be explorers, don'cha know.) The Lavodes are off to tackle the Lagaardian equivalent of Treerats, with a lineup consisting entirely of new classes or classes I never used extensively before.

Egarwaen
06-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Why would it ever stop?

Point. In fact... EO1 Spoilers: (Want to bet that it's the seed from which Yggdrasl will one day sprout, destroying the world of man with its branches and roots?) ;)

Sprite
06-14-2008, 11:36 PM
My guild name is Canon - I study English Lit, so I liked the application of personal interest in something that sounds vaguely menacing.

American or British? Is MobyDick on your team? You should really have MobyDick on your team.

As for me, my planned party is as follows:

Clan Destro (with password from EO1)

Protector: Igrid
Ronin: Mara
Hexer: Lilim (I'm not sure about her name yet)
Gunner: Basie (as in Count)
Medic: Cash

mike
06-14-2008, 11:45 PM
You think you're an unimaginative hack? Every guild/clan/group/team I've had since '98 has been Hokuten.

I always used my first name in RPGs that only ask me to name the male lead, so I've portmanteau'd "Mikuten" as my group name ever since playing Tactics Ogre shortly after finishing FF Tactics.

I spent two months this spring finally plowing through EO1 to near-100% completion in anticipation of this game--I'm a sucker for any series that lets you import saved game data into sequels--yet somehow I neglected to think about pre-ordering EO2 before seeing this thread, despite all of my past experiences with purchasing Atlus titles. I'll be making my Gamestop rounds tomorrow, since I'll pass no fewer than five of them where I'm going anyway, so hopefully I'll be able to participate soon.

Coinspinner
06-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Protector: Gwynham
Gunner: Enid
War Magus: Raubahn
Dark Hunter: Jonathan!
Hexer: Charlotte!

(Groan...)

Actually let me just keep going with the FF11 theme.

Survivalist: Semih
Dark Hunter: Leonoyne
Hexer: Prishe
Troubadour: Ulmia
Ronin: Noillurie
Landsknecht: Ginuva
Alchemist: Azima
Medic: Monberaux
Beast: Colmillo

Mazian
06-15-2008, 12:53 PM
The introductory mission plays out slightly differently depending on whether you've entered a password or not. Without a password, the soldier gives you a bunch of Medicas once you're out in the forest; with, you're on your own. Also, with a password, you get different text when you go and rest in the flowers... and immediately get ambushed by Venomflys, same as last time. I love it. It's a fair change - a player that already knows the mechanics will breeze through either way. You also get some different conversations in town, but nothing of gameplay significance.

No idea if there are any other changes lurking further in, and I'll be sticking with the password-imported game from here out regardless.

KCar
06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
American or British? Is MobyDick on your team? You should really have MobyDick on your team.

Canadian, actually. Beware the might of Al Purdy, Dennis Lee, and Anne Carson. They will destroy you.

Margaret Atwood is my secret weapon. She will destroy you with her utter bitchiness.

I didn't actually name my characters after literary figures, but rather friends and family, which is kind of lame. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably name a trio of brothers after the Brothers Karamazov: Alexei the troubador, Ivan the medic, and Dmitri the Protector (or Dark Hunter - I don't know. Protector would make the most sense, but I don't really use one).

My party in EO1 has been LDAMT, with some hotswapping depending on the situation. That group has been pretty killer (I just beat the Royalant, and haven't had many problems with any boss/FOE since the Stalker, truth be told). I think I may want to change that up for 2.

Octopus Prime
06-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh man, my demand for this is simply frothing, but I do not have access to the bird picture, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

And since Mr. Parish informs me that my first choice for team name won't fit, I'll have to use one of my back-ups, but I don't know which one yet, since I don't know the character limit. Speaking of Characters...

Protector - Jovi
Ronin - Carradine
Gunner - Errol
Battle Magus - Rincewind
Troubadour - Mercury
Beast - Luggage

So we have two references to books, two references to movies, and two references to music. And most those names are non-gender specific, so I'm not stuck with a sausage fest of a party.

Incidentally, the reason why I named the Gunner after Errol Flynn instead of, you know, some actor associated with firearms, is because I named my Survivalist after a cowboy last time, so it's only fair I name the Cowboy after an archer.

Ben1842
06-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I never really got very far into the first one but I'm still going to pickup the second because I'm sure I'll get back to them at some point and I want to be sure to have the second one on hand when that happens :)

Hargrada
06-16-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty frustrated that I won't be able to get my item list completed in time for the arrival of Etrian Odyssey II from Amazon. I know it doesn't really matter all that much gameplay wise, but the fact that i'm only missing one single item on the whole damn list just bugs me to no end. What makes it worse is i've been tryin off and on for weeks now; I must have fought that Wyrm (missing his scale) something like 30 times! Seriously hope they fixed the drop rate for part 2.

Octopus Prime
06-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Man, I am heartly sorry to break it to you, but the character limit for character and guild names both is 8 letters.

Be ye not afeared, this is useful information for me. Ergo:

Protector - Jovi
Ronin - Carradin ~or~ Olmos
Gunner - Errol
Battle Magus - Ridcully
Troubadour - Mercury
Beast - Luggage

Come to think of it, Ridcully is a much better match for a multi-faceted wizard then Rincewind anyway. And I probably wouldn't be able to tell Edward James Olmos from David Carradine in a dark room.

However, it seems that my secondary and tertiary choices for clan name are also out. This will require some forethought on my part now.

Sprite
06-16-2008, 07:26 AM
The important thing is that you can still use "Luggage." I approve of that name.

Dadgum Roi
06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/generalhoke/eo2.jpg

Sprite
06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
A tree odyssey
gyro lumberjack?
Gyro leg-guard?

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
You know, a picture of a Hero sandwich probably would have been far less confusing than a Gyro. I'm still not sure what the fourth picture is supposed to be other than a lumberjack.

Octopus Prime
06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
OH!

Gyro's of Logger!

NOW I GET IT!

Dadgum Roi
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
You know, a picture of a Hero sandwich

A what?

Anyway, Guild Grantoro planted its flag in High Lagaard today. The lineup:

Front:

Ronin: Grant Huitli
Protector: Escudo D. Guerra
War Magus: Santería Paloma

Back:

Gunner: Pelotón D. Fusilamiento
Hexer: Brujita K. Mala

I finished the first mission and obtained High Lagaardian citizenship. That first FOE...boy is he is bitch. My party was pretty quickly eviscerated. I'll try again tomorrow, but I suspect this guy is going to require a bit of grinding. I'm going to try to avoid it, though.

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
A what?

http://www.recipetips.com/images/glossary/s/submarine.jpg

A hero. Also known as a hoagie or a submarine sandwich.

A hero sandwich, also known as an Italian sub or Italian submarine sandwich, is said to have originated in New York in the late 19th century when Italian laborers wanted a convenient lunch that reminded them of home.

tungwene
06-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm one of lucky ones picking up my pre-order from Gamestop tomorrow. However I still need to complete the first game. Floor 16 is killing my desire to move forward. Please, let there be no conveyor belt levels in II.

spineshark
06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I finished the first mission and obtained High Lagaardian citizenship. That first FOE...boy is he is bitch. My party was pretty quickly eviscerated. I'll try again tomorrow, but I suspect this guy is going to require a bit of grinding. I'm going to try to avoid it, though.
If you mean the T-Rex on 1F, don't worry if you get smashed (actually, same goes if you mean the guys on 2F and 3F). Even with the first turn, he just hits too hard, so the only real way to kill him at all before level 10 or so is to ambush him with a powerful poison attack. (The Hexer's poison skill at level 10 is insane in the first stratum, and you can always spec one back later when it's...not, anymore). Without poison, the T-Rex is actually more difficult than the other common foes in the beginning of the game.

FOEs don't even give experience and I'm pretty sure the drop item isn't very good so I wouldn't worry about him yet.

nunix
06-17-2008, 01:44 AM
It's good to know Poison still rocks the upper strata. That was my Alchemist's main contribution for 1-10 or so in EO; after that is started to lose effectiveness as HP scaled up and the damage didn't.

EDIT: Man I hate naming characters. I took forever to decide on my EO characters.. it's tempting to just reuse some of those, but this is a later incarnation of the guild! And it makes no sense to start them back over at level 1. arharghagrh.

mike
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I picked up my copy at lunchtime today, so I'll be starting tonight. I finally started Shiren DS earlier this week, but I think I'll set that aside for now so I can enjoy Gyros of Logger while there's a Fun Club for it.

I'm thinking of creating two Medics this time so I can specialize one into a battle Medic. This way, I can also rotate a lot of different characters into my party without my sole medic hitting the level cap while everyone else is still in the mid-40s. My EO1 playthrough eventually saw my active party stabilize into a typical PLATM group that heavily abused Relaxing and Immunize (occasionally swapping in a Ronin where elemental damage was ineffective), so I'm hoping that the removal of the most broken EO1 skills and the absence of a 40-page forum thread telling me how to overcome every sticking point will prod me into maintaining and experimenting with a much more diverse guild lineup this time.

Mazian
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking of creating two Medics this time so I can specialize one into a battle Medic.
How about a healing War Magus?

Octopus Prime
06-17-2008, 01:34 PM
As if I needed any additional inspiration to buy it. (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3168273&p=39)

I think I'm getting withdrawls. I'm jonesing for my new party to be created!

nunix
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Huh, I'm hesitant to read the rest of that review. I went into EO expecting no story, was pleasantly surprised as a little bit started to unfold, and loved the major plot twist. I'm normally in the "I don't care about spoilers, I'll enjoy it anyway" camp but I don't want any similar surprises wrecked, even if I'm kind of expecting it this time around.

Octopus Prime
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Huh, I'm hesitant to read the rest of that review. I went into EO expecting no story, was pleasantly surprised as a little bit started to unfold, and loved the major plot twist. I'm normally in the "I don't care about spoilers, I'll enjoy it anyway" camp but I don't want any similar surprises wrecked, even if I'm kind of expecting it this time around.

Don't worry, there is no mention of plot in the review.

spineshark
06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
How about a healing War Magus?
I tried this, and while it initially seems workable, they're much worse healers.

Not to explain why, of course-I was happier before I knew.

PapillonReel
06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
How are they for attacking though? Good enough to hold their own, or do they drag the team down?

spineshark
06-17-2008, 02:10 PM
My new one's my best overall offensive character (MDWHM, all level 23-and actually, the whip I have is better than the strongest sword, but Peach's STR UP is much lower than Anzu's). Even if you don't get the special effects (which require various bad statuses on the enemies) the sword skills give fantastic damage boosts at reasonable TP costs. Still, overall, if you're not using a Hexer or at least a Dark Hunter, you won't get much utility, which would probably leave the War Magus at a disadvantage compared to the Landsnecht's presumably higher raw damage.

Also: I finished mapping 10F over lunch today, finally. I hate the monsters here though (not to mention the FOEs, who like appearing right next to you) so I'm probably going to go back to 6F to grind for the boss.

Thraeg
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm one of lucky ones picking up my pre-order from Gamestop tomorrow. However I still need to complete the first game. Floor 16 is killing my desire to move forward. Please, let there be no conveyor belt levels in II.

I actually liked the idea of the conveyor belts and the other unique dungeon level features to keep things interesting -- they were just a pain to map properly because there were no appropriate symbols. The sequel has way more available map symbols (including a set of directional arrows), so I'd love to see conveyors return.

poetfox
06-17-2008, 02:55 PM
So I just put my game into my DS. Yay!
Last game, I tried, for some crazy reason, to make a party without a medic. I don't know why I did this, as I really value healing, and it's probably why I never made it as far as I should have... so this time I'm not going to do that! Here's what I'm thinking...

Medic
War Magus
Protector
???
???

I liked my Survivalist last time, and my Troubadour, but I feel like I need another character who can take a hit on the front line... Are Dark Hunters any good?

Octopus Prime
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Are Dark Hunters any good?

Assuming they're unchanged from the original, they don't deal as much direct damage as a the Lands___t, but most of their abilities have a chance of inflicting status effects while doing damage. Viper was incredibly useful early in the game, as it let my Alchemist focus on attacking without wasting TP on Poison spells. Once I started using Binds correctly, a lot of the tougher FOEs and Bosses became much less dangerous. Unless you have multiple characters capable of Binds, though, you may not want to invest too much into Climax.

TL; DR:

Yes. Yes they are.

Red Hedgehog
06-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Assuming they're unchanged from the original, they don't deal as much direct damage as a the Lands___t, but most of their abilities have a chance of inflicting status effects while doing damage. Viper was incredibly useful early in the game, as it let my Alchemist focus on attacking without wasting TP on Poison spells. Once I started using Binds correctly, a lot of the tougher FOEs and Bosses became much less dangerous. Unless you have multiple characters capable of Binds, though, you may not want to invest too much into Climax.

TL; DR:

Yes. Yes they are.

I found Viper to be completely useless at the beginning of the game. But I've loved my Dark Savior for her binds.

poetfox
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Good advice, but I ended up deciding to go with this...
Front:
Arlressy the Protector
Noa the War Magus
Back:
Richard the Troubadour
Iri the Gunner
Alexis the Medic (yes, I named the medic after me, shut up.)

I guess I'm hoping the War Magus can take a hit like the little description suggested they might... That, and plan to give my Protector those taunting skills.
It's... I want to take the party members I want, and be a little different than last time, but still be effective enough for me not to have to change. All those might be at odds with each other. Also, I noticed the Troubadour lost his TP regen song? I wonder if he's still going to be useful...
I dunno, I'm not hardcore. I just want to dungeon crawl! So into the labyrinth I go.

PapillonReel
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna be picking this game up later this week, so I figure I'll show you my guys now:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/PapillonReel/Etrian2Teamcopy.png

~Valens Guild~
L - Reid
S - Miranda
P - Ashe
D - James
M - Marie
A - Edward
T - Gilbert
R - Kaorin
H - Scathach
G - Jackie
W - Garcian
B - Shadow

I'm so excited for this, you wouldn't believe. I think I'll try a MATRG party at first, then experiment from there.

Pombar
06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
T and A are looking a bit gender confused with their names there, to be honest, but otherwise those're same damn fine nombres.

Ample Vigour
06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
T and A are looking a bit gender confused with their names there, to be honest, but otherwise those're same damn fine nombres.

I want to read the names, but I don't want to be unduly influenced.

Why won't my body stop shaking?

Loki
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Meet the Meats Guild:

Brisket the Landsknect*
Beef the Protector
Pork the Survivalist
Sausage the Medic
Veal the Alchemist
Flank the Dark Hunter*
Nugget the Troubadour*
Roast the Hexer
Rib the Ronin
Escargot the Gunner
and
Bison the War Magus

*Female.

Edit: typo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Kermit.jpg

Pombar
06-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Veil rather than Veal? Ok, I'll stop being a grammar nazi prick.

For EO2, methinks the Nanten must come into play;
Al'Lan, Landsknecht
Camilla, Protector
Jeanne, Survivalist
Erin, Medic
Jet, Alchemist
Belmund, Dark Hunter
Snufkin, Bard
Nevare, Hexcaster
Jigan, Samurai
Kino, Gunner
Deware, War Magus

Some are outright references/rip-offs, some have undergone a little tinkering. 'Cause I'm still unoriginal.

nunix
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Reel's avatar collage is a good idea! So I stoled it.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/violenteyes/eo2/dreamers2.jpg

A: Ix /I don't like the new Alchemist portraits
D: Ekatrine
G: Hrafn /Icelandic for "raven"
H: Noelle
L: P /Was going to be Pants, but I couldn't do it
W: Ulysseys
M: (no name yet, maybe pick a different portrait, used this one last time)
P: Einstein /Last game I used Pinky, because the smallest character having the most HP/defense always amuses me
R: Hosea /Nuts to out-of-place Japanese names
S: Finn
T: (still don't have a name for him) /New male poses are dumb, females are still unsettlingly loli
B: Bear /Sort of a totem vibe

Think the starting party is going to be Ulysseys and Hosea; two old hands leading the way. Haven't decided on who else will go, I need to see the abilities and such first. Hopefully tomorrow. -.- Also, because I am a fucking nerd, I've already sort-of planned out when some of these guys will retire and who will take their place.

Loki
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
While returning to town for the first time and seeing the stairs going down instead of up was so dizzying I almost lost my lunch.

WreckTheLaw
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Symposia (THANKS PRIME)

Lankshnekt - Kant
Protector - Soren
Ronin - Murakami
Hexer - Spinoza
Alchemist - Hume
Troubadour - Nietzche
Gunner - Dashiell
Medic - Camus, Leibniz
Survivalist - Fyodor, Franz, Woolf, Gertrude
dark hunter - Hanah
War magus - Simone, Sartre

Damn you 8 character limit!

Octopus Prime
06-17-2008, 06:20 PM
What about Symposia?

WreckTheLaw
06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
What about Symposia?

Duh... that works... Though I'm also leaning towards Critique now. Christ I'm a nerd...

Al Baron
06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Man, ACROSS is one big pillow fest: (I really need to catch up on the manga.)

Lankshnekt - Felica
Protector - Excel
Ronin - Mitsuko
Hexer - Misaki
Alchemist - Amber
Troubadour - Zelda
Gunner - Capmor
Medic - Telia
Survivalist - Ryukage
Dark Hunter - Elgala
War Magus - Hyatt
Beast - Colbert (It's only right.)

I have a feeling that, minus the lost of Immunize, my EO1 medic build can go right into the sequel. Not sure about the others, though.

Pombar
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I like just playing it all by ear in regards to builds, and expect I'll do the same with EO2. What made EO1 so great was how generously it allowed you to do it like that, at least as far as I got.

reibeatall
06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd like to introduce to you the founding members of the >9000 Guild:

Andy the Landsknecht
Momo the WarMagus
Bunybutt the Protector
Balthier the Gunner
and
Lilith the Troubadour

Traumadore
06-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Am I like the only one that names all their guildies after real life buds?

the Rook guild roundup:

Colin- Troubadour
Ryan- Landsknecht
Per- Survivalist
David- War Magus
Jacob- Gunner
Andrew- Protector
Lahli- Dark Hunter
Noel- Alchemist
Karoline- Hexer
Arminda - Medic
Lyman- Ronin
Randy- Beast
Kate- Beast
Shakira- Beast

Yes, as soon as I get beasts I plan on experimenting with a 3x beast frontline, preferably with survivalist in the back and whomever turns out working the best as 5th. Also, like the first game I am committed to beating it without a medic.

Zen
06-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Symposia (THANKS PRIME)

Lankshnekt - Kant
Protector - Soren
Ronin - Murakami
Hexer - Spinoza
Alchemist - Hume
Troubadour - Nietzche
Gunner - Dashiell
Medic - Camus, Leibniz
Survivalist - Fyodor, Franz, Woolf, Gertrude
dark hunter - Hanah
War magus - Simone, Sartre

Damn you 8 character limit!

You put in Hannah but not Marty? No Jean or Jacques?

I think Hume would make a better troubadour than Nietzsche, too.

Man, I'm a few levels in and I think I need to completely redo my party. The Protector is feeling like a waste of space right now, and I have no way of inflicting poison. Should I go with a medic or a war magus for my healing?

spineshark
06-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Medic. I know it's possible to get further than I did with a W healing, but it takes so much more effort I'd just say it's not worth it. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Medics get more healing options and they get them earlier.

It is a spoiler, however, to say that War Magus healing is gimped because the Medic's Healing mastery is way, way better than the corresponding one for War Maguses.

Yes, as soon as I get beasts I plan on experimenting with a 3x beast frontline, preferably with survivalist in the back and whomever turns out working the best as 5th. Also, like the first game I am committed to beating it without a medic.
I was going to call this beast thing crazy until I realized this was just my idea to use a Beast in a deliberately undersized party (say, three) but with two more Beasts. This actually makes sense to me in theory! Though there are still plenty of possible issues.

As for the no Medic thing, I wouldn't trade either of mine, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

WreckTheLaw
06-18-2008, 06:08 AM
You put in Hannah but not Marty? No Jean or Jacques?

I think Hume would make a better troubadour than Nietzsche, too.

Man, I'm a few levels in and I think I need to completely redo my party. The Protector is feeling like a waste of space right now, and I have no way of inflicting poison. Should I go with a medic or a war magus for my healing?

Good call on the lack of Heidegger (I should say that more in daily life), but I just don't know where to put him...
I'm saving Michel and Jacques for Beast/Pet - no one really understands those guys, but they (hopefully) kick ass anyway.

I went back and forth on Nietzsche and Hume for Troubadour, but I wanted both in guild and could make an argument for both being Troubadours (Noting Nietzsche's Dionysian, and Hume's being a famously good party goer/thrower), but could only make connect Hume to alchemist (what with him being an empiricist and all... right?) Also I'm a Hume guy, so i want him around a lot.

I agree with Protectors feeling like a waste of space, but I'm not confident enough in that claim to ditch him yet.

I've been using a medic for my needs thus far and it's working out fine, but I feel obliged to use the war magus because, you know, I want to try out awesome new classes, right?

Dadgum Roi
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I'd also say that my protector is not really contributing all that much at the moment. I'd probably be better off with a second Ronin. The War Magus seems good so far- his healing skills are good enough for now, and he adds a good offensive punch to the front line. I may look at going down to two front line characters once my gunner and hexer come into their own.

TheSL
06-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm running with my same old guild, the Tyrants(I'm not that creative):

L - Scott
P - Geoff
R - Brian
M - Katlyn
A - Steven

Maybe I'll try some of these new jobs some day, but for now I'm testing the mettle of my previous lineup. I got up to the first geometric (sp?) pole on the 3rd floor before going to bed last night. Its nice to see that I can finally invest in the elemental attacks for my Axe-L instead of having to miss out on them altogether.

mike
06-18-2008, 08:33 AM
I've spent so much time making long trips through Etrian Odyssey 1's fifth and sixth strata, where my attention was focused primarily on sustaining my party's strength while mapping all the branches of those spitefully designed teleport mazes, that I'd forgotten how terrifying the first stratum can be for a level 1 party that only hopes to avoid FOEs and win just enough battles to cover the costs of recovering at the inn and reviving their dead. EO2 seems even more brutal than I remember EO1 being, though that's probably due in part to my experimental party builds, where in EO1 I used the typical gamefaqs-approved PLSMA/PLTMA party for nearly the entire game.

My protector seems to be doing pretty well, but that perception could be due to the town crown putting him slightly out of reach of a one hit KO when the enemy lands a critical hit. His damage output is already being matched or outpaced by nearly every other party member I've tried, though, and I'm not really sure what to build towards now that defender is gone. Does anyone know whether semi-useless skills (like, say, Provoke) been improved to compensate for the removal of the brokenly powerful skills?

TheSL
06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the Protector is the job I've been having the most difficult time deciding where to invest. Shields and VIT are no-brainers, but eventually I'm going to have to go for some active skills.

reibeatall
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I need help, guys.
Whenever I played EO1, I always felt like I was doing it wrong. Like there was something I just didn't get. Whenever I'd go dungeon exploring, I'd always feel like right before I'd make some progress, my team needed healing, so I'd leave the labyrinth and go to the inn. Then I'd walk back, get into a few fights right before where I last left off, take some damage, then leave again. If I ever used any of my team's SP, then I'd get into a fight against strong enemies with no magic to use because I wasted it on weaker enemies.

So, how the hell do you manage to stay in the dungeon and advance without the need to go back and heal, or waste exorbitant amounts of money on healing items?

TheSL
06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
For me it was pretty much a lot of back and forth from town until about the third stratum in the original. Invest some of your points in TP Up (and/or the TP Regen if it still exists) and eventually it'll extend your survivability.

MCBanjoMike
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I need help, guys.
Whenever I played EO1, I always felt like I was doing it wrong. Like there was something I just didn't get. Whenever I'd go dungeon exploring, I'd always feel like right before I'd make some progress, my team needed healing, so I'd leave the labyrinth and go to the inn. Then I'd walk back, get into a few fights right before where I last left off, take some damage, then leave again. If I ever used any of my team's SP, then I'd get into a fight against strong enemies with no magic to use because I wasted it on weaker enemies.

So, how the hell do you manage to stay in the dungeon and advance without the need to go back and heal, or waste exorbitant amounts of money on healing items?

Healing items? Sounds like someone needs a medic. My general technique, once I start to get the problem you're describing, is to start using a combination of Stalker and running from encounters to get farther into the dungeon. It could also be worthwhile to use one or two MP restoring items if it will get you just a bit farther. The most important thing, though, is to look for shortcuts that you can use to skip past the floors you've already mapped. There are a few levels where this won't help you, but often it will make the difference between passing a floor using 15 steps or 100.

reibeatall
06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, if I use a medic, then I'll use all her MP and then that's not good.

Anyway, maybe I'll be better at this game. So far, it seems way more brutal on this first floor than the other one did. Time to decide if my party's worth a damn.

Pombar
06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
TP-Up at 10 and two people with cure (Protector, Medic) make sure I'm never without a heal. Though I still try not to use TP in battles. Every little helps!

MCBanjoMike
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Could someone spoil for me around how many floors you have to clear before the Beast class opens up? I'm sorely tempted to have a panda in my party, and I'm wondering if I'll actually play a 4-character party until such time, since I tend to get attached to the party members I use and don't like replacing them. I played the entire first game with the exact same party - despite rolling up a set of alts, I never once used them for anything major. Of course, now that I'm at the bonus stratum that might change, but overall I doubt that my habits will change too much.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
You have to beat the boss on 5F, then head to a certain square on that floor. Back at the guild hall, you'll be able to recruit/make/tame beasts.

In EO I found that at the beginning of the game, my party's endurance was very poor. I would run out of TP only moments after I entered the Labyrinth. Later on, random battles for me are hitting hard and I worry more about a character being killed before I have a chance to heal them.

In EO2 the reverse has been true. On 2F there are a few extremely unfair encounters (on the south side), in particular the Crawler x3 battle, and until you get a few levels, there's a great threat in almost any battle that one character will be focus-fired to death right away. But in the second stratum, I haven't had to worry about anyone specifically being marked for doom (aside from when I don't kill a certain 10F monster quickly enough). It's been more a question of how many battles in a row I can really fight before retreating.

Honestly I've found EO2 easier because I'm fighting more aggressively (I conserve way too much on all of my non-medics in EO) but exploring more carefully, and some of the specific changes make the game much friendlier. Obviously if I played EO this way, it would be easier, but I haven't. Also there's a cheap trick to get rid of that stupid FOE on 3F, otherwise I would still be on the verge of throwing my DS at the wall constantly.

Traumadore
06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I think one of the previews or reviews said the beasts are on the fifth floor. Just give one guy a really stupid name like Filler, then you wont feel bad when you give him the boot.

poetfox
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
What's all this about Protectors sucking? Does their little taunt move not actually work? Or have I just played too many MMOs and value the idea of one character keeping Aggro too highly?

TheSL
06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
It never worked on the first game so I don't think I've even put any points into it yet here.

SamuelMarston
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I think one of the previews or reviews said the beasts are on the fifth floor. Just give one guy a really stupid name like Filler, then you wont feel bad when you give him the boot.

Redshirt is 8 characters long.

mike
06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, even when maxed out, Provoke's activation rate seemed so low that it was virtually ineffectual in EO1. The F./B. Guard skills were far more useful in mitigating the average damage taken by the rest of the party, though I have yet to see how well these skills perform in EO2.

poetfox
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, even when maxed out, Provoke's activation rate seemed so low that it was virtually ineffectual in EO1. The F./B. Guard skills were far more useful in mitigating the average damage taken by the rest of the party, though I have yet to see how well these skills perform in EO2.
Well... guess I best stop putting points into it, then. Heh. At least I can still use it as a defense buff, I suppose.

Balrog
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Some posters over at the Atlus forum got some love in the game. (http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1506&start=0) I'm going to be a little disappointed if there's no reference to anyone on gamespite, especially old Balrog :(

MCBanjoMike
06-18-2008, 12:15 PM

If I decide not to keep a Dark Hunter in my party, I could roll one and name him this. Considering that my DH in EO1 spent more time taking dirt naps than anyone else, it would even make sense!

spineshark
06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
What's all this about Protectors sucking? Does their little taunt move not actually work? Or have I just played too many MMOs and value the idea of one character keeping Aggro too highly?
If this is what you want, use a Beast.

And watch your poor pet die over and over and over =X

SlimJimm
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm going to be a little disappointed if there's no reference to anyone on gamespite, especially old Balrog :(

A Not_from_LOTR_Balrog has appeared!

Morbid Coffee
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Quick question. Did anybody else choose "No" when prompted to sleep in the flowers this time? [When the game sent the venomflies at me for not trusting the offer, I knew it wasn't holding back any punches from people who played the first game.]

So far, I've reached the 3rd floor Geomagnetic pole, and I'm really digging the game. I'm trying to play it safe, and went with a PLAMG party. I'll probably try out some of the other classes at a later time, but right nowmy only goal is to survive the first stratum.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't have a password (and am using the J version, so outcome 2 may be a fixed bug), but I've played the opening about 5 times and have had the following results:

Answered yes, been attacked (1x Crawler) (twice)
Answered yes, not been attacked (once)
Answered no, not been attacked (twice)

TheSL
06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
EOII is, even more so than the first game, like playing D&D under a GM who hates you.

That's part of what actually makes the game interesting to me- it feels like there's always a surprise behind every corner. That bastard squirrel didn't steal anything off of me, though it sure as hell tried.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
EOII is, even more so than the first game, like playing D&D under a GM who hates you.
I laughed when I charged into the boss on 8F and he first-turned my entire party for roughly 500 damage apiece.

Also, gathering supposedly has a high chance of getting you ambushed by stronger monsters than usually appear on the floor in question. This has scared me off of it...

Al Baron
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
While this might be a little late for some, here's someone else's password for those who don't feeling like completing the Item Compendium:

L63UUZ1ulh&F&nEow&z3
ffzptP&&XP?DVAl&zCbh
pIrRScJ1iV?Kg&&E&otb
&F?VQXvyhSd&&?

First line: ...ulh... l is lower case L
Second line: ...Al&... l is lower case L
Third line: pIr... I is upper case i

WreckTheLaw
06-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Or, just use the same name for your new pet as the dude you kicked out... and claim he's a WEREBEAR! It's just science...

nunix
06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Man, I am so glad to be back in a labyrinth.

Thought 1: So.. does every town in this world have a Yggdrasil tree, or what? It is clearly not Etria - if you use a password, it even remarks that you've come from a "far-away town".

Thought 2: Etria felt more like my kinda town. I'm pretty iffy on Lagaard so far.

Thought 3: War Magus is interesting; it's some mix between a Medic and a Dark Hunter. All his binds need a status effect to work off of first; you can use the Hexer's all-party stuff, or team up with a Swords DH. Mine's still just focused on healing after battles, at the moment, and slugging it out from the front line during battle. I reallyreally would like to use him but I'm gonig to have to figure out how best to take advantage of those sword binds.

Thought 4: Urgh, no Revive for War Magus.. not sure how well that's going to work out long-term. Maybe I'll have a War Magus and a Medic.

Thought 5: Alchemist's new physical magic is.. expensive. I blew all three of Ix's starting points on Strength Up to unlock Physical Magic cos I wanted to see how the new spells worked, spent a point at level 2 to get that, and then finally spent a point at level 3 to get Gravity.. to find out that all of those spells cost 20 TP from the start, and only go up from there (next point would bring it up to 28). Going to have to grab Fire Magic and Fire over the next couple of levels.

Thought 6: Crawlers are motherfuckers. They haven't killed me yet but they bring my party members down to <10 HP for the front row (they'd outright kill the back).

Thought 7: The Venomflies room was amusing. If you used a password: the game text acknowledges this, saying that your guild experience taught you to be wary of this kind of thing. Was very pleased by that.

Thought 8: In a tree I found a Gem Core which I accidentally sold.. and it didn't even net me an item unlock. I wish I'd tried out the new storage feature or something.

Thought 9: Took me 7 game days before I was able to stay in the labyrinth past about 7am. Would go in, get a couple of battles, then go sleep the rest of the day away. EO1 had the same monsters at night as it did during the day but I don't want to risk it here. =p

Thought 10: Died during the intro mission; lost my Ronin to a Hedgehog, then the rest of the party wiped to the Venomflies.

Thought 11: The manual is not as colorful. =/ I liked Ormund's terrible, terrible song.

Thought 12: I never want to have to deal with a password that long ever again.

Thought 13: Town Crown is a lot less powerful but still incredibly useful. Stuck it on my War Magus, Ulysseys, and it has helped a tonne.

Mazian
06-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Thought 2: Etria felt more like my kinda town. I'm pretty iffy on Lagaard so far.
I know what you mean. I miss Valerie and Shilleka... not totally sold on the new guys yet.

Thought 4: Urgh, no Revive for War Magus.. not sure how well that's going to work out long-term. Maybe I'll have a War Magus and a Medic.
I'm giving that a try right now. This early on, having two people with Cure is great. I don't think I'll stick with that pairing (or at least won't keep putting points into my WM's Heal skills) in the long term, but it seems to be helping for these early floors.

Pombar
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Having a second Cure was great with the Protector in the original - it conserved mana for my Medic, while the Protector could just be a generic warrior in battle. I'm hoping to uses the War Magus in this role instead in EO2 - viable?

nunix
06-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Having a second Cure was great with the Protector in the original - it conserved mana for my Medic, while the Protector could just be a generic warrior in battle. I'm hoping to uses the War Magus in this role instead in EO2 - viable?

I'm not sure. Maybe. The difference in the classes is pretty significant; the Protector had HP and Shield skills and could wear all the heaviest armor, so it worked well as meatshield to take the hits of FOEs and such.

The War Magus, on the other hand, has a bunch of bind skills, but they don't work on their own; they only work if the target is already under an effect such as sleep, blindness, et cetera. Which means that to get the most use out of him you need another party member to get those effects off. And getting the Hexer's curses, or the Dark Hunter's effects, to happen is pretty rare at the low skill levels, so I don't think I'll know until I have my W and H up to about 10-12 or so and have some skill points to play around with.

Also: goddamn first FOE. He 1-hits all my guys.. I got a preemptive strike on the battle but he managed to beat us.. and I think he had about 10 HP left. Ronin wasn't fast enough at the end. =/ Will have to wait a few more levels and see.

Thought 14: Man, Atlus really doesn't want me to gather materials anymore. What the fuck, Atlus? I know you got kinda sore over the fact that a lot of people made 5 Survivalist parties, but not everyone did that. Now I only get one use per skill point, instead of two, AND I have to be paranoid about getting ambushed.

In my EO party all of my guys had 1-2 skill points in their gathering skills. I never felt under-monied or under-equipped the whole game which, amusingly, is one of the biggest complaints I heard from 90% of the other players, because no one put points into those gathering skills!

Argh. Bitter.

I assume this damned Bent Twig is in one of the Take spots, but who knows when I'll have enough points to find it. -.-

Ample Vigour
06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Bitter.

Everything I hear is backing up the "EOII is EO I on hard mode" meme. Is that really the case or am I just hearing about the tough parts?

Mazian
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, a little from column A, a little from column B....

There are a lot of tactics from EO1 that aren't going to work in EO2, and I think all of us that played the first game are posting about those more than we are about things that are still similar. That said, it does seem like it's cranked up the difficulty by a few notches - I don't remember it being this easy to get your party wiped out on the first two floors of the last game.

Mind you, none of us but spineshark have made it past the first stratum (that I've seen?), so who knows what twisted gameplay evils lie in wait?

The Shadow knows. Oh, and I guess Nich knows too.

Al Baron
06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
There are a lot of tactics from EO1 that aren't going to work in EO2...Some tricks are still in. Grinding help on the 4th and 5th Floor: Those Ladybugs operate very similarly to the Treefrogs from EO1 (IE let them summon a flower, kill the flower, repeat.)

nunix
06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Everything I hear is backing up the "EOII is EO I on hard mode" meme. Is that really the case or am I just hearing about the tough parts?

The battles seem pretty much the same to me, so far. I'm also using more non-standard characters than I usually do, which contributes. I think the "hard mode" is just bullshit from people who don't know what they're talking about, and/or never "got" EO in the first place.

Morbid Coffee
06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I assume this damned Bent Twig is in one of the Take spots, but who knows when I'll have enough points to find it. -.-

I found it on the third floor chop points. There's also a shortcut nearby the geomagnetic pole that makes the trip to the chop point shorter.

Anyway, I've pushed further into the dungeon today, and made my way to the 5th floor...if only through sheer endurance and running from almost every fight on floor 4. The things that floor throws at you are brutal. I don't have a lot of offensive skills yet (outside of allslash, fire, and stunshot), so I'm going to try to grind a little to get more skill points.

As far as party building goes, has anybody found/decided on a good build for the Gunner? I want to like the class, but the way things are going, I don't see why I shouldn't be using a Survivalist or Troubadour instead.

Also, [You can't run from Stalkers anymore.] This game has re-taught me the meaning of fear.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 08:32 PM
What level are you? I can only think of one or two ways that a party that got past that big FOE battle on 3F would not be almost completely prepared for 4F and 5F.

And since I used one of them, I'm really wondering what other people did.

Morbid Coffee
06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
My medic, Alchemist, and Gunner are level 8, while my Landscknecht and Protector are level 9. I never encountered a big FOE battle on the 3rd floor (I used the lure bell. Maybe that allowed me to skip it?), so that could explain the difficulty I'm having.

I did take out the FOE on the first floor though, but that was for the quest.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Hmm, so fighting multiple ragelopes at once is optional and I didn't know it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WreckTheLaw
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
How are people feeling about Gunner? I was super psyched about them, but I don't know. My current party is LRW up front, GA in the back. I expected his damage to be a bit higher, but he seems pretty weak to me. His bind skills look like they could be damn good, but I'm just too early to tell. Would I be better off with a Hexer or a Medic back here?

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Okay, I am insanely pissed off. EO2 keeps telling me my password is incorrect. I have gone into EO1, copied down the password, double checked it, gone into EO2, typed it in, doubled checked it again, and been told it's incorrect THREE TIMES now. I am 100% certain it is the correct password, I am not mixing up 0s with Os or 1s with ls.

Pretty much every ounce of my enthusiasm for EO2 is completely shot now. What am I doing wrong here?

poetfox
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
How are people feeling about Gunner? I was super psyched about them, but I don't know. My current party is LRW up front, GA in the back. I expected his damage to be a bit higher, but he seems pretty weak to me. His bind skills look like they could be damn good, but I'm just too early to tell. Would I be better off with a Hexer or a Medic back here?
I've basically been putting all my points into "Guns" and my Gunner has been dealing more damage than everyone else regular attacking for a long time now... so I've been pretty happy in that regard.

spineshark
06-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Doesn't the Duke's man give you the Lure Bell for just that purpose?
I couldn't read. :) I was wondering why there was such a hard battle early on, but in the end I just used the Hexer's force skill to instantly kill them.

nunix
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Okay, I am insanely pissed off. EO2 keeps telling me my password is incorrect. I have gone into EO1, copied down the password, double checked it, gone into EO2, typed it in, doubled checked it again, and been told it's incorrect THREE TIMES now. I am 100% certain it is the correct password, I am not mixing up 0s with Os or 1s with ls.

Pretty much every ounce of my enthusiasm for EO2 is completely shot now. What am I doing wrong here?

I don't know.. mine worked okay. The password from EO is new every time you select "Password" (it's apparently based not only on your stats but also the amount of time you've played or some other nonsense), so you can try and write a new one down and see if that makes a difference. It.. shouldn't but who knows?

I might also suggest having 3-4 different colored pens/pencils and writing it down that way, matching the colors of the display, so you can be sure you're copying it down right.

Traumadore
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I set out tonight with RDWST. It's pretty different for me, but I just picked the guys I would most likely keep around some after the beasts come into play.

On weird thing was that my Ronin couldn't use skills in battle until after the intro mission was over, but as soon as it was done he could use the attack I taught him.

I also died my first time in, but it's because I chose to explore a little more after finishing the map since I had a few more resources and ended up stumbling into the caterpillar nest. Ouch.

I was prepared for my troubador to have lost his regen songs, but what I wasn't ready for was the cost of nearly all his songs doubling. I was used to laying down a bravery or shelter every fight but now i'll have to save it for tougher fights.

I'm making a be-line toward the elemental damage skills of the troubador and ronin so i'm not cought with my pants down the first time I come up against something with a thick shell like in the first game.

How do folks feel about the exp. inflation and slight HP inflation? I don't know why but it bothered me slightly (for like 10 seconds, hehe)

Brickroad
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I might also suggest having 3-4 different colored pens/pencils and writing it down that way, matching the colors of the display, so you can be sure you're copying it down right.

I'll try that. I actually have lots of colored pens!

My girlfriend is out of town and took her pink DS with her, otherwise I could load both up at once and make corrections in real time. She took my camera with her too, or I could have an actual screenshot.

Some searching turned up people who have posted their endgame passwords from EO1 (complete with both super items), but that wouldn't be "my" guild.

eta: Also, it's not giving me a different password each time. I've gotten the same one every time I load it up. If I press A twice on the password screen it gives me a different one though, I'll see if #2 works...

eta#2: Second password doesn't work either. I'm positive I have it right in both games. I played adventure games back in the pre-battery backup days of the NES era, I know how to keep my Ss away from my 5s and my ls away from my Is. I went and grabbed some dude's endgame password off the Gamespot forums (with the super items even!) and it worked first time. I'd rather start from scratch than use some other dude's work though. (Seriously, even if you change your guild's name over at the guild hall, the NPCs still call me by that other guy's name, which kind of ruins it for me.)

nunix
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean about it generating a new save, sorry I wasn't clear.

Morbid Coffee
06-19-2008, 12:07 AM
I think I may have discovered why I'm having problems with some of the higher floors in the first stratum. There's a severe lack of Amritas, both in the store and as treasure items. I've tried the sour fruit from the take points on floor 1, but 5 Tp is nothing when spells cost double the amount.

But on a brighter note, I gave my gunner the Ice Shot skill, and it's been really useful for some of the enemies on the fifth floor. Though, with what little Tp it seems to have, I don't know if relying on a skill-dependent gunner is a good decision.

nunix
06-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Thought 15: The NPCs this time around are bullshit. What the hell was with that character design of the NPC near the first pole? Is this Bad Generic Manga Webcomic Game or something? Also: why are there NPCs in my dungeon at all?! Get off my lawn!

Thought 16: Whatever they did to the engine seems to have made the game look worse. There's noticeable tearing when you turn, and the textures or something are just off. Maybe the upper levels will look less-crap but I don't have much hope. It's just really distracting.

Thought 17: So.. fleeing from battle just doesn't work at all anymore, or what? Have not successfully fled from a battle once, and a couple of my guys even spent the point to master Escape Up.

Thought 18: It seems FOE field manipulation is going to be really key in the lower levels, at least.

Thought 19: Finding the spots on 2F that respond to a particular class was pretty exciting, because the first two I checked where classes I had! And one got a really strong weapon, which has helped quite a bit. On the other hand I'm hoping this isn't going to become a habit, where there's going to be LOTS of things class-locked.

Thought 20: My Hexer is completely useless so far and I'm really starting to feel it. And if I drop the Hexer there's no point in keeping the War Magus. This is depressing...

Thought 21: Speaking of War Magus: don't spend points on Regenall. It looks like it heals 1 HP per point per turn.. and it maxes out at 5 points, and doesn't appear to be scaling. Thanks for adding another shitty Patch Up! I really appreciate being suckered in like that a second time.

So tempted to shelve all my creative characters and just do PLSMA again, at least long enough to make real progress.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Its a shame to see that Alchemist doesn't get TP Regen anymore. I'm honestly wondering how viable he will be in the long run if he doesn't have that to fall back on in long exploration sections.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 08:33 AM
My preorder of this and Space Invaders came in, which made me leap in the air and click my heels together with great rejoicing.

However, I want to beat Trials and Tribulations before I start them. Luckily, I'm on the last case, so I don't have too long to wait.

Traumadore
06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah I also noticed the lagging visuals when you turn in a room, but honestly there is so much more color and texture on even the first stratum that even if it is just because of poor code or something I don't mind.

Re: NPCs: Whatever. There were some good and bad ones in the previous game too. The new guild master is a badass, and I like the inn-keeper and the tavern owner, cause they both actually feel like characters now. The old inn-keeper was a boring as they come. Maybe you just miss all the boobs hanging out everywheres?

TheSL
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Also, you can't run from super bugs anymore.

Bullshit, I totally escaped from one last night. It did scare the crap out of me when I saw that new graphic for them, though.

spineshark
06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Re: not being able to escape, this is (usually) what is happening-When a FOE enters battle you will be turned toward the direction it came at you from, which in a LOT of cases pins your back against a wall.

Aside from that, I have very good success rates with the Escape Rate Up skill on my two fastest characters.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but that also makes escaping from most FOE in big rooms a lot easier since they tend to come at you from the side. I mean, assuming you run straight at them and use their movement patterns to avoid them like I do.

Morbid Coffee
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Bullshit, I totally escaped from one last night. It did scare the crap out of me when I saw that new graphic for them, though.

I just tried walking directly towards one after reading this, and it turns out, you're right. My bad. After being ambushed by two of them (two seperate occasions, not one fight), and having the message "Escape is impossible" appear, I assumed they were upgraded to mini-boss status.

Either way, escaping or not, I'm still avoiding the hell out of them.

nunix
06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Managed to get around the Stalkers on 3F and that improved my mood dramatically, especially since I'd already found the closed-side of the shortcut and knew roughly where I was aiming for.

Also managed to take out one of the oddly-coloured FOE on 4F with only one death, and that was due to her having lost a few HP and being underequipped. Pretty sure I can one-turn them from now on. Anyone know what the blue is supposed to signify?

Too much of my cash is going to Warp Wires. =/

I have to switch my brain back into labyrinth-exploring mode.. there is no hurry, there is only the maze. Ommmmmm.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Too much of my cash is going to Warp Wires. =/

I haven't even figured out where in the heck you get them on this one. :(

nunix
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Oo. Once you do the intro quest, Talk to the trader girl. She should ask to see your license and that'll open up the wires.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh, I guess that's what I get for not bothering to talk to anyone unless they force me to. Right now all she has under items is the 50 HP restorative item.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I've decided that my own impatience trumps my desire to see T&T resolved, so I created up Clan Buttfore. The inexplicably female Bon Jovi and Errol are really pulling their weight.

I may have used more female charcters, if the rest didn't look like 8-year olds in bikini's.

nunix
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, the whole loli angle in a lot of the character design is really unsettling to me. If you want to be generous, you can kind of see where they were going with bright, happy character design rather than super-serious, but the way it was expressed is just not okay. =/

Pombar
06-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I think the Medic girl gets away with it for some reason. Possibly because that's just a character archetype anyway (Love Hina's Shinobu, that kinda thing). I seriously cannot approach that one female DH, though. Nor the Ronins.
There are a couple of ok women, though. That Survivalist is ok, as is the other Medic woman.

Brickroad
06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
...what's a Buttfore?

I don't think anyone else was going to walk into it, so I'll take one for the team.

nunix
06-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I think the Medic girl gets away with it for some reason. Possibly because that's just a character archetype anyway (Love Hina's Shinobu, that kinda thing). I seriously cannot approach that one female DH, though. Nor the Ronins.
There are a couple of ok women, though. That Survivalist is ok, as is the other Medic woman.

Medigirl's also clothed, as is the yukata ronin. That's just an issue of young age or something (I can't stand JRPGs anymore because I'm just not interested in what some whiny kid or teenager says or does). But the troubadours? Wrong on so many levels.

Brick: you ever get your password to work?

Brickroad
06-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Brick: you ever get your password to work?

Nope.

PapillonReel
06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I hear your password's dependent on who's in your party, so maybe try switching around your guild members until you get one that sticks.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I hear your password's dependent on who's in your party, so maybe try switching around your guild members until you get one that sticks.

I don't know why this would matter since all that transfers is the guild name and how thoroughly you completed the game.

Traumadore
06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Well you'll never walk into a Buttfore twice, unless you're extremely foolish. Maybe we all just learned our lesson already.

The women are mainly fine but for the ronin, troubadors, and dark hunters. Even the dark hunter dudes look iffy though. That's 3 classes out of 12 so it's no Arcana Hearts or whatever that game was called.

I'm starting to think I should replace my War Magus with a Protector for healing, because he keeps getting two shotted.

PapillonReel
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know why this would matter since all that transfers is the guild name and how thoroughly you completed the game.

I'm mostly just going by hearsay at the moment, since I don't have my copy in yet (or won't for a while, if things stay as they are at the moment).

Brickroad
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
It gives you a new password every time you refresh the password screen. I've only tried the first two I can get. No doubt if I went and fooled around in the labyrinth for a bit, then saved, I'd get a totally new set of passwords.

The fact that I can get some stranger's password to work right away leads me to believe there's something else wrong. Like, EO1 might be generating invalid passwords for some reason, possibly because my guild is just too awesome.

I guess in the end this really isn't a huge deal, since I didn't complete the bonus stratum or spend hundreds of hours farming dragons. If I'd gone through all that I probably would have microwaved both DS cards by now.

poetfox
06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I got this quest where I have to get to the fourth floor without dying, and yet I haven't gotten to the fourth floor and I have no idea how to get past this stalker that's in a 1-space-wide hallway to explore floor three more... so I'm hoping I don't completely ruin that quest when I die. Cause I will. Hopefully I just have to pick up more food again.

TheSL
06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I have no idea how to get past this stalker that's in a 1-space-wide hallway to explore floor three more...

The same way you did in the first game, if that helps at all.

nunix
06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I got this quest where I have to get to the fourth floor without dying, and yet I haven't gotten to the fourth floor and I have no idea how to get past this stalker that's in a 1-space-wide hallway to explore floor three more... so I'm hoping I don't completely ruin that quest when I die. Cause I will. Hopefully I just have to pick up more food again.

If it's anything like EO, you can never completely fail a quest. You just go back and cancel it and then reacquire the quest.

To get past that FOE: Stalkers move every other step. Draw it out into the larger hallway, then scoot around him. Be mindful of your encounter gauge, though, because they will join in a battle and then you're probably toast. I had trouble with that one too, but careful maneuvering got me around it.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got the first floor and part of the second floors.

Holy crap, I forgot how dangerous Venom Flies are! Holy Crap on a Hat, I forgot how crazy-dangerous the early F.O.E's are! Holy Crap on a Hat made of Crap, finding the Not-FOE-But-Still-Stronger-Then-Usual Monsters was unexpected.

I'm loving this so far.

nunix
06-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at the Venomflies, they're way nastier than the normal butterflies you find in the early strata; all-party Poison is harsh. =/

poetfox
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
The same way you did in the first game, if that helps at all.

...grind and grind and grind until I can kill it...? Cause I'm pretty sure that's what I did in EO.

Thraeg
06-19-2008, 06:21 PM
After more than 35 battles vs. Drake over the past several weeks, this morning I finally claimed the last item to fill my compendium. Even though I had been feeling burnt out on the game, and was planning to take a break and play Layton and TWEWY for a while before starting the sequel, the thrill of victory and the prospect of a new labyrinth to explore instantly revitalized my appetite for it. I was going to wait for the contest results to be announced, but who knows when that will be, and even if I win it would still have to be shipped, so impatience got the better of me and I broke down and bought it at lunch today.

With the heroes of Etria having retired to enjoy their well-deserved wealth and fame, the management of Guild Frabjous recruited a new crop of fresh-faced vic--intrepid adventurers to travel to Lagaard. Here's the new roster:

L - Beamish
P - Tove
S - Tulgey
R - Vorpal
D - Manxome
T - Burble
A - Gyre
M - Outgrabe
H - Frumious
G - Gimble
W - Uffish
(B - Galumph)

nunix
06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Er.. what are the select cases? Or does the cause elude you?

Aeonus
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Yikes. I'd heard Immunize was gone, but they took away Defender too? So now Shelter is the only whole-party defense buff, and there's nothing that can mitigate elemental damage? I guess that makes status ailments a lot more desirable.

I can't find my copy of EO1, so I had to skip the password feature, but here's the Arcana guild:
(Stars denote my main party)
I Magician - A*
II Priestes - M*
III Empress - D*
IV Emperor - L*
V Hirofant - W
VI Lovers - T
VII Chariot - R
(This space reserved)
IX Hermit - S
X Fortune - G*
XI Justice - P
XII Hanged - H

and let's throw in 0 Fool - ME, because I keep returning from the Mine point on B2 and walking right into the gods damned deer as I pass through the door (so my back's to the door and I can't run). I've lost a good 3 hours of progress doing that over and over. You'd think I'd learn.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Spreading my healing-needs among Freddie Mercury, Errol Flynn and Mustrum Ridcully seems to be working quite nicely so far. I was kind of expecting Medi-Shot to restore HP instead of Status effects, but still, it's handy.

Looks like the only Quests available to me involve reaching Floor 4 without anyone dying, killing a FOE that I haven't been able to prevent form 1-Shotting my strongest characters, or gathering a substance that I've yet to encounter.

So... grinding away it is!

Oh, hey, and Ladybugs can summon gigantic Murder-Flowers.
...neat.

nunix
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
The Evil Eyes on 4F are some nonsense. Their Tackle is as strong as some of the FOE attacks I've dealt with. =(

And I'm sure there's got to be a shortcut somewhere on that floor but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Dadgum Roi
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Gunner tip:

Wildshot rules.

KCar
06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, I picked it up today (after paying for car repairs, therefore insuring I could not afford EOII). I'm still playing through number one, so I'll only be with you guys in spirit.

nunix
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I retract my earlier "hard mode" derision: yes, EO2 is a bastard. I'm running into enemies on floor 4 that can one-shot any character with their attack ability. On floor 5, I find an enemy that can cast Sleep on the entire party; that didn't happen until freaking BF21+ in EO! (I think; it's certainly the first point it becomes a serious, common danger).

I always felt the challenge in EO was tough but overall pretty fair; I think EO2 doesn't want me to play at all. =/

Also: I have a quest that wants me to stay on 4F for three days, without any sign of there being a healing spring around. No thanks.

Mazian
06-19-2008, 10:12 PM
On floor 5, I find an enemy that can cast Sleep on the entire party; that didn't happen until freaking BF21+ in EO!
Nope, B8F (Petaloids) in the first. Meanest flower I've ever seen.

nunix
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of their bigger brothers starting in the 5th Stratum.. I still don't remember having any real trouble with the Petaloids, maybe I'm just too underlevelled right now. Hypnowls are rocking me if they get a turn.

So, at the very least, you run into things several dungeon levels earlier.. which just terrifies me when I think about the end strata. =/

PapillonReel
06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Picked up EO2 today, and so far I'm psyched. It feels good to be back in the labyrinth, to be honesty - though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new abilities. I'm not even sure what party I'll be using yet! I'll probably figure something out later eventually though, once I map out how I'm going to train my guys.

Ample Vigour
06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of their bigger brothers starting in the 5th Stratum.. I still don't remember having any real trouble with the Petaloids, maybe I'm just too underlevelled right now. Hypnowls are rocking me if they get a turn.

So, at the very least, you run into things several dungeon levels earlier.. which just terrifies me when I think about the end strata. =/

What you need, lad, is a passel of hirelings with 10' poles. That did the trick back in the day.

Egarwaen
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
What you need, lad, is a passel of hirelings with 10' poles. That did the trick back in the day.

10' poles!

And a table with every conceivable variety of polearm!

TheSL
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Oh god, the Chimera! Looks like its going to take a bit of grinding out to beat this one.

Ample Vigour
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
10' poles!

And a table with every conceivable variety of polearm!

Now you're playing with power!

EDIT: The new copy my GameStop has torments me. When oh when will the Destructoid results be posted?

blindblue
06-20-2008, 12:58 AM
THAT GODDAMN SQUIRREL.

Sprite
06-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Thought 20: My Hexer is completely useless so far and I'm really starting to feel it. And if I drop the Hexer there's no point in keeping the War Magus. This is depressing...

What skills do you have him/her using? Supposedly Poison is very useful until later on when you can re-roll and level up the more eccentric skills. Right now it barely hits for me but when it does it's death for whatever it touches. I'm determined to use a Hexer this time around, so I'm keeping mine whether she pulls her wait now or hours in the game.

To Brickroad and anyone else having problems, there's a public service announcement (http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1532) at the Atlus forums.

:(

Pombar
06-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Nope, B8F (Petaloids) in the first. Meanest flower I've ever seen.Really? I'm sure Sleepgels did the same thing, and way before I encountered Petaloids. B6F, if I'm not mistaken.

KCar
06-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Really? I'm sure Sleepgels did the same thing, and way before I encountered Petaloids. B6F, if I'm not mistaken.

Sleepgels didnt cast sleep on the entire party - Petaloids do, making them more dangerous.

However the Petaloids weren't paired with anything too pants-filling. Sounds like these guys in 2 are going to be ker-azy.

Dadgum Roi
06-20-2008, 07:01 AM
I always felt the challenge in EO was tough but overall pretty fair; I think EO2 doesn't want me to play at all. =/
[/I]

I'm finding it genuinely difficult to discern how much of the difficulty I'm running into is early game stuff and how much is actual increased difficulty(monsters doing more damage, etc.). I certainly remember the first few floors of EO1 being a real bitch, because you were not only weak but poor as well. The big initial challenge was escaping from poverty.

The poverty issue has been big for me in EO2 as well. I have very little staying power in the dungeon because the shop still doesn't stock Nectar or Amrita, and even if it did, I'd have trouble affording it. It seems as though I'm fighting more groups of monsters- rarely do I fight a single monster. Usually it's three or four at a time.

And even the early floors are infested with FOEs that you really have no hope of beating at this point, so you have to be very tactical in your movements at times.

Dadgum Roi
06-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Has anyone noticed that their Protector seems to be sucking up an inordinately high number of hits? I haven't invested in any skills that claim to do this(I remembered how Provoke or whatever it was sucked in EO1), but Escudo seems to take around 75% of the front line hits.

mike
06-20-2008, 07:29 AM
THAT GODDAMN SQUIRREL.

This. I couldn't tell whether Nich's hidden text admonition was genuine advice or further demonstration that the game is run by a spiteful DM, so I pet the squirrel. I mean, surely one of these special events will turn out not to brutally punish the player, right? If I had survived that trip, I would have been sorely tempted to camp out in town, lying in ambush for whenever the little bastard decided to use my only warp wire.

I've been making very slow progress, as I still haven't decided on a core party. It seems like all of the classes I favored in EO1 are disadvantaged in one way or another, so I'm still juggling everyone into and out of my lineup while I incrementally map the second floor. The auto-battle feature really takes the edge off of the slow grind, though; while it can't be trusted to focus fire, it shaves off all the extraneous A-button-holding when you've reduced a fight down to one or two mostly harmless opponents. The store's introduction of more modern interface amenities is also fantastic, but I haven't been able to accrue enough money to enjoy it much yet.

spineshark
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
My (second) guild has not had money problems at all. I didn't rely on restorative items, I did the entire first stratum without using the town revival, and my first medic still doesn't know any healing spells (aside from the force skill).

All I did was to grind up to about level 10 before hitting 3F. It sounds tedious, but by level 8 or so you can autobattle anything that comes up on the top half of 2F with very little worry at all. You can fill up your inventory with salable items, drop them off, and go back for more. I had 3,400 en when I defeated the first major boss. And 33,000 right after that.

Rai
06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I just rolled a Protector for a secondary party the other night, and I'm amazed by how it seems to draw in a lot of the hits. It makes me happy, because the Ronin he's paired up with takes a hit like a little girl.

I really haven't had too much trouble though. My main party (LDWSA) has some problems, and I'm considering switching some of them out for some of my secondary party (RPGSM). Though my secondary party is about ten levels too low to consider exploring the second stratum.

Oh, and I love force skills. Especially the Alchemist one. They are worth grinding for if I want to take down an FOE or boss.

mike
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm certain that my money problems stem from pushing my luck and waiting too long before heading back to town. Limping back with three dead party members is costly enough, but limping halfway back and then using a warp wire because I can't risk one more random encounter pretty much soaks up all of my earnings.

I've been afraid to do much grinding on 2F yet, since a few unlucky rounds with the Venomfly groups can leave 2-4 party members dead from poison. I'll probably get over that next time I play, though, now that I have a medic with Revive and all of my guild members are in the level 4-7 range. I also found a bunch of chests and the 100en event during my last 2F run, allowing me to buy decent equipment for my most vulnerable characters.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Bit the bullet and just started fresh last night.

I re-created my entire guild (including the redundant Alchemist and Medic I'll probably never need), but so far have only used PRLGM. This team POURS on the damage. Ronin is a real powerhouse, easily outdamaging everyone else, so I'm starting out pumping points into HP Up and letting her just get by on her regular attack. Gunner grabbed Medishot and Fireshot right away, Landshark is a few steps away from Blazer (which will proc off of Fireshot right?), Medic has Cure and Revive and is working on getting Healing to 10. Protector is working towards Shields 10 and Smite.

My damage output is phenominal, and there are few encounters I haven't been able to stomp. The first three floors flew by. I have no abundance of cash, but I can more or less easily get a gathering squad to one of the item points if I really need something. Anyone else notice that you can get attacked now when gathering?

Only one party wipe so far: Ladybug dropped a giant FOE-class flower on me which pulverized everyone within two rounds. I was not a happy Brick.

nunix
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
What skills do you have him/her using? Supposedly Poison is very useful until later on when you can re-roll and level up the more eccentric skills. Right now it barely hits for me but when it does it's death for whatever it touches. I'm determined to use a Hexer this time around, so I'm keeping mine whether she pulls her wait now or hours in the game.

2 point Sapping, 2 point Leaden (great for debuffing Ladybug groups), and I think Poison is at 5 right now. Also spent a point or two in Blinding but that almost never works. The trouble is that the non-debuff curses all need significant points put in to reliably work, and even then your best shot is against enemies weaker than you that you don't need to waste the TP on anyway.

Which would suck because it means my War Magus never gets to use any sword skills... if I wasn't using his TP to heal the party after every fight. ;p But being able to get the TP-steal ability would be nice.

I'm just gonna have to take some time, build up XP/money on 5F (or 3F if I get tired of being ambushed and one-shotted by Evil Eyes), and see how it goes. I went from PLSMA in EO1 to RDWHA in EO2, which is probably contributing to my paper-thin defense. ;p

Thought 22: EO3 needs a way to save party configurations at the Explorer's Guild. At least 2 formation saves.

Thought 23: I am so going to wind up dying because I hit L at the wrong time in battle. I just know this is in my future.

spineshark
06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
The sleeping curse has saved me a ton of pain in the second stratum-at five points (the max) the activation rate is entirely worth it. The W skill based on the sleep status is mostly unnecessary (though still fun), but the way it shuts down the enemies is amazing. After my healing Medic, I consider my Hexer to be my least replaceable character.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh, I guess I forgot to list everyone in the guild. Okay:

Aardvark Guild

Founding Members
Nicolai (Protector)**
Dr. Stan (Medic)**
Oblivia (Landshark)**
Frieja (Survivalist)*
Zoe (Troubador)*

Voting Members
Li-Mae (Alchemist)
Sally (Medic)*
Sanchez (Dark Hunter)*
Lacey (Ronin)*/**

Gathering Squad
Zap (Survivalist)
Sasha (Survivalist)
Zap Jr. (Survivalist)

Bench Warmers
Petyr (Alchemist)
Celino (Hexer)

New Recruits
Boris (Gunner)**
Geno (War Magus)***

*This is the team who killed the Etreant in EO1.
**Except for a couple gathering excursions, this has been my exclusive party so far in EO2.
***As yet unused.

Mazian
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
The big initial challenge was escaping from poverty.
Boy, is it ever. Anyone got tips for MAKING MONEY FA$T in the first stratum? My back row is still wearing Tweed.

I've benched my War Magus for now, in favor of a trusty Dark Hunter. It looks like the Magus/Hexer pair should be a powerful combo later on, but at this point I needed a little more up-front damage dealing.

Octopus Prime
06-20-2008, 11:46 AM
The Proud Men and Women of Team Buttfore have killed their first FOE. It took the luck of ambushing it, the fact that none of its skills could hit more then one target, and a couple of Freddie Mercurys songs about Shelters (I'm assuming Save Me is one) to win the day.

And I was rewarded... with nothing at all. I cleared a quest though, so I got some Nectar. Which would have been more useful when I was fighting that stupid dinosaur.

In related news:
I was not expecting Ronin's to be that strong. Edward James Olmos's dealing almost as much damage as Bon Jovi and Errol Flynn put together!

Yes, I insist on using all the characters full names.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Ronins are crazy strong right out of the gate. Seriously, the EO2 Ronin performs like an EO1 Ronin who already has Katanas and Atk Up beefed up to 10.

I think she is critting more often than my other up-front guys too, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, Brickroad <3 <3 Ronin.

PapillonReel
06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm not finding money to be that much of a problem, to be honest - I only really need to equip the front row since they're the ones attacking and taking damage. Then again, I'm only on the second floor, so grain of salt.

In any case, my team's coming along nicely. My Dark Hunter just learned Drain, which is single-handedly becoming my favourite ability ever, and my Landsknecht, Ronin and Hexer are one level away from learning Allslash, Orochi and Paralysis. My Medic's starting to lag behind though, but that might change once she learns Revive in two turns.

Thraeg
06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Now you're playing with power!

EDIT: The new copy my GameStop has torments me. When oh when will the Destructoid results be posted?

They just put up a non-announcement announcement saying that they'll be judging them over the weekend, and everyone who entered should check to make sure that their name is on the list:

http://www.destructoid.com/etrian-odyssey-contest-judged-this-weekend-make-sure-you-re-on-the-list-91554.phtml

Guess Nich's "sometime this week" was overly optimistic. Not that I blame them, though -- looks like there's about 80 entries in the list.

Very glad now I decided to just buy it yesterday rather than waiting for the contest results.

MCBanjoMike
06-20-2008, 12:08 PM
They just put up a non-announcement announcement saying that they'll be judging them over the weekend, and everyone who entered should check to make sure that their name is on the list:

http://www.destructoid.com/etrian-odyssey-contest-judged-this-weekend-make-sure-you-re-on-the-list-91554.phtml

Guess Nich's "sometime this week" was overly optimistic. Not that I blame them, though -- looks like there's about 80 entries in the list.

Very glad now I decided to just buy it yesterday rather than waiting for the contest results.

Boo!

Also, for the record, I estimate about 70 entries based on that list. That is to say, I didn't count them individually, but it looks like there are that many.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I already bought it, so if I win I'll stick the sealed copy in my closet for six months so when some LttP Tyrant wakes the hell up he won't have to spend $TEXAS on eBay.

Ample Vigour
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Boo!

At least now I'll have all weekend to figure out where to put the Protector statue.

MCBanjoMike
06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Did anyone else notice that Nich got a shout-out in the Penny Arcade news post today? That's pretty awesome, dude!

Al Baron
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Boy, is it ever. Anyone got tips for MAKING MONEY FA$T in the first stratum? My back row is still wearing Tweed.They buffed Scavenge enough that it's worth maxing (IE two people with max Scavenge will guarantee a drop from anything.) After getting a point in Cure, that's what I did on my Medic.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Did anyone else notice that Nich got a shout-out in the Penny Arcade news post today? That's pretty awesome, dude!

That is pretty boss!

PA carries enough weight now to sell games. Like, would Katamari Damacy ever have sold enouogh to merit a sequel (let alone 63,000 sequels) if PA hadn't raved about it? Hard to know for sure of course, but that's why I and pretty much everyone else I know bought it.

What I'm getting at is, I hope Tycho's mention gets a ton of people interested in it who had never heard of it before. It's only through the magic of Gamespite I knew about the first one after all.

Octopus Prime
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
I've got a couple of quick questions that the manual didn't seem to help with.

Do any stats affect your accuracy? I'm aware that having high Agility would help with dodging, but a lot of my attacks seem to be whiffing.

Is there any way to increase Drops without Scavenge? I ask because it doesn't look like anyone in a team of PRWTG has that skill, and poaching rhino's all day isn't the safest job in the world.

Brickroad
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Is there any way to increase Drops without Scavenge? I ask because it doesn't look like anyone in a team of PRWTG has that skill, and poaching rhino's all day isn't the safest job in the world.

Those guys should go down in just a couple rounds. My PRLG frontline can take it down in two, with the Gunner killing it just after it uses its charged attack. To make yourself safe while fighting them on rounds after it charges, have everyone Defend and your Protector use F. Guard. That might tip things in your favor.

Parish
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I think they kind of owed him one after unfairly raking him over the coals for panning some mediocre Donkey Kong rhythm game.

Octopus Prime
06-20-2008, 03:06 PM
All right!

I saved the single remaining from a herd of killer deer, without having to fight any of them. Now I have a Quest to fight a Chimera, which is most likely well beyond my capabilities at present, but at least I can take on Raflesia's without getting too badly beaten now. That's something.

nunix
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Managed to map out more of 5F today, mostly aided by a lack of Evil Eyes.

There are a number of suspiciously empty 3x3 rooms this game. It seems like these are now "event rooms" which wait for triggers, but give no hint beforehand beyond being completely empty.

I need to check the GameFAQs board and see if they've uncovered any bugged skills. In EO, TEC was only good for Alchemists and did nothing for anyone else; but now it's a basic stat skill for every class, so I'm wondering what it affects now.

Octopus Prime
06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Apparantly, TEC is the strength of your Skills.

Well, besides whatever level the skill is at, that is.

Thus spaketh the manual.

nunix
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, 5F boss beat me.. but he had no noticeable HP left. -.- Going to try the FOEs I've been avoiding and see if their drops help me gear up for the fight a little better. I think I'll also put my War Magus on the back row, since it looks like he's going to be on full item/healing duty.

Fight seems made for a Protector. =/

Also: I am finding wayyyy powered-up whips in treasure chests all the dang time! DH has a Bird Whip now and I haven't even unlocked the Slice Whip.. and maybe not the Bullwhip yet either, have to check (which is irrelevant, since I found both of those "ahead of time" as well). A good 5-8 levels before I could conceivably have the items necessary to buy it myself. Swords, on the other hand, are practically nonexistant, but there've been a couple.

Ran into a guard who wanted to sell me a weapon or medicine for 1000en but when I found those guys in EO, they always gave you something out-of-date.

reibeatall
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Should I be putting skill points into stat-up skills, or to actual abilities?

PapillonReel
06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
So far, I've found it best to pick a good ability, like Allslash or Torpor, and focus on maxing it right off the bat, then focus on spreading the points out afterwards. It makes your characters powerful really quickly while also giving you some breathing room for experimentation.

On another note: my first real fight with [Chimera]: (Spoilers) [After a brief trial run to see how powerful he was, I decided that, since a regular assault could barely touch him, my best shot was to try and overpower him with Force skills instead. So I set out for the second floor and slaughtered my way to full power, gaining an extra level in the process, then headed back to face him. It went spectacularly at first - Reid (L) and Kaorin (R) took off 1/4 of his health from the outset, and the status effects and full body binds Scathach (H) and James (D) layed on him reduced his offensive to nothing. For the next few turns, I had the front line go on the offensive while Scathach disabled the Slave Imps with Paralysis and Marie (M) healed with Cure III and medica's. Eventually, his life bar dipped into the red, and I thought I might actually win this.

Then the status effects wore off.]

Egarwaen
06-20-2008, 10:44 PM
My copy's finally arrived from Amazon!

First impression: ... Holy cow, I'd forgotten how pants-fillingly terrifying Venomflies were at level one.

nunix
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Wooo, 5F boss taken out on Dormouse 5. All members were at level 17.

Ronin (Hosea): HP Up 5, TP Up 1, STR Up 5, Esc Up *, Overhead 1, Zamba 4, Mine 2, using Kodachi, Hide Armor, Iron Glove, Rough Hat

Dark Hunter (Ykatrine): HP Up 5, STR Up 2, Whips 5, Viper *, Racket 1, using Bird Whip, Hide Armor, Headdress, Iron Glove

War Magus (Ulysseys): TP Up 2, Esc Up *, War Edge 5, War Lore 5, Regenall 2, Cure 2, Cure 2 1, Chop 1, using Boar Spear, Pure Vest, Buckler, Town Crown

Alchemist (Ix): TP Up 7, STR Up 3, Fire Up 1, Phys Up 1, Fire 4, Gravity 1, Chop 2, using Staff, Sherwani, Steel Pin

Hexer (Veesey): TP Up 1, Curses 2, Sapping 1, Leaden 1, Blinding 2, Poison *, Take 2, using Staff, Wing Leaf, Steel Pin

Items used: Ice Jar, Volt Jar, Medica II, Soma (all found or received as quest items)

Getting the Deer Hide to unlock Hide Armor was pretty dang useful; frontline had been using Pure Vest still. My first battle, Dark Hunter got off a poison effect on the very first turn of battle, but this time constant spamming of MAXED Viper -and- Poison got no results. I'm really glad I put the points into TP Up on Ronin because he was completely tapped out by the end, as was DH. We had two of the adds in the process but the first one went down to Poison and the second was just cleanup by the end (and that particular FOE is pretty weak).

Going to work up a Beast a bit now, maybe replace D with it.

EDIT: (after seeing the skills Beasts have) holy crap these guys are awesome o.O

Egarwaen
06-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Wow, it's really amazing how much difference even a single level makes in terms of power in this game.

The Protector skill that restores HP after every turn seems pretty good, at least at low levels. Mine's restoring 3 HP/turn out of about 50-some, or at least 10%. And that's at HP Regen level 1. I'm curious to see if it scales with HP; if it's a constant percentage of HP per turn, it could be really powerful.

I'm liking the Gunner so far. My initial party, after some tweaking, wound up being LDPMG. Once I get a few levels, I may swap the L or D out for an R, or start playing around with back-line characters. I'm still not sure how the lack of Relaxing is going to affect my strategy, particularly since the TP economy seems to have changed almost completely.

PapillonReel
06-21-2008, 12:45 AM
[Chimera], take 2: [taking advantage to the group of hedgehogs you encounter occasionally on 5F, I powered up my team with minimal effort instead of grinding like last time, then afterwards, I froze the four nearest FOEs with a Sleep Bell I had from earlier so they wouldn't join the fight. With that all taken care of, I then started the battle off in earnest with Force Skills like before, however this time I managed to get paralysis to land instead of confuse. Now that I knew that I could inflict it on him, I had Scathach (H) cast Paralysis each turn to disable him while the rest of the team went to work dismantling him with various attacks while the SlaveImps looked on helplessly while frozen. I finished the battle at full health (though partly because of Marie's (M) cures.]

Now onto the next Stratum!

spineshark
06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm still not sure how the lack of Relaxing is going to affect my strategy, particularly since the TP economy seems to have changed almost completely.
Your characters run out of TP faster in EO2, since virtually everything costs more and after the very early levels you don't have that much more of it. While this means you can't go as far, the GMF changes make it so you rarely have to, at least early on. The most brutal trip I've had so far was my first time to the one on 10F, but that was less because of the distance (though it is a long trip) and more because of the massive number of Trigourds in that one hall that you can't see on the map. The devastating thing with those is that you can't see which way they're facing, since judging the positions is easy.

nunix
06-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Reel: what was your party lineup, and at what level(s)?

PapillonReel
06-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Oh, right. My team for fighting [Chimera]:

Reid - Landsknecht (Lv. 17)
-Esc Up 1*
-Swords 7
-Allslash 10*
-Risk Cut 1

James - Dark Hunter (Lv. 17)
-Exc Up 1*
-Whips 6
-Swords 7
-Drain 5*

Kaorin - Ronin (Lv. 17)
-Esc Up 1*
-Overhead 7
-Seigan 1
-Orochi 5*
-Kienzan 5*

Marie - Medic (Lv. 17)
-Esc Up 1*
-Healing 7
-Scavenge 5*
-Cure 3 5*
-Revive 1

Scathach - Hexer (Lv. 17)
-Esc Up 1*
-Curses 7
-Torpor 5*
-Paralysis 5*
-Corrupt 1

There's a pretty heavy element of specialization going on with my team, but so far it's proving very effective. My three front-line fighters cover single- and multi-target attacks both physical and elemental, guaranteeing I'll be able to pierce through an enemy's resistances, while Marie keeps the party healed and Scathach backs them up by disabling as many targets as possible. It's not very boss-proof as other teams, but it does very well for explorations because of its versatility.

fanboymaster
06-21-2008, 06:11 AM
I picked this up yesterday because the good word of Talking Time told me I'd regret it if I didn't. I am enjoying it.

WreckTheLaw
06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I've finally sent out my backup team, which is really just a team full of second stringers who I'll pull into my main party when I need to.

Main party: LRWGA
Backup: PDSTM

I started dumping points into Guns for Dashiell, and now he's really coming along. I shouldn't have tried to spread the points out like I was that early. Also, I continuously feel that Soren, my Protector, is on the verge of becoming useful, but he never does. Even among that pansy second group, he doesn't manage to keep them alive any more than a fighter or ronin would. He's like the tantric sex of classes - always promising to reach the peak, but never doing it. it's frustrating.

reibeatall
06-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm afraid to combat the FOEs. The one on the first floor keeps hurting me bad, and I don't even want to try the ones on the second floor. I then get to the third floor and it's all like "these are super FOEs lolol die asshole."

Octopus Prime
06-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm afraid to combat the FOEs. The one on the first floor keeps hurting me bad, and I don't even want to try the ones on the second floor. I then get to the third floor and

If it's any consolation, on the fourth floor, there are FOE's that can pass over terrain that you can't, but are super-wimpy to fight.

Of course, reaching Floor 4 may be a problem as well...

nunix
06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
By the time I was ready to fight the stratum boss, I could handle the 2F FOEs no problem. Those super-tough 3F ones still beat me, as do the second-tier FOE on 4F and 5F. I figure I'll come back L20+ and see how I do then. =/

Octopus Prime
06-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Now that Venom Flies and Rhino's have stopped being a problem, and even Raflesia's have stopped becoming too powerful for me to beat, I am faced with Evil Eyes.

Who tend to One-Shot Edward James Olmos. Usually when I forget to buy a Warp Wire.

Hey, Lagaard, if you want people to explore you, you should maybe lighten up with the monsters?

PapillonReel
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
If you focus all of your attacks on it, you might be able to kill an Evil Eye before it gets a hit in. At least, that was my experience with them.

Aeonus
06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
There is no combat message more sweet to the eye than
"Issen Slash!
The Raptor was killed instantly!"
(except variants that replace Raptor with some other FOE that you don't stand a chance in hell of beating in a straight fight)
I love Kubiuchi. Now if only I could use it more than twice per dungeon run.

Octopus Prime
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
If you focus all of your attacks on it, you might be able to kill an Evil Eye before it gets a hit in. At least, that was my experience with them.

True, they are frail and wimpy. The problem is that half the time they show up, they Blindside my party, and promptly either kill the crap out of Commander Adama, or dent any other character.

Might help to level up En Guarde a bit, I guess.

blindblue
06-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Do G's elemental Shots/Riskshots count as magic for the purposes of L's Blazer-type attacks? I got up to 4F today and I don't really like my skillset, I want to rest my main party (RLDGM) and specialize.

PapillonReel
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the Landsknecht's Chasers activate with any elemental attack, so it should work.

mike
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay, I'm making faster progress now with a PRLGM party. TP is just too limited right now to rely on skills for damage, so this party has been great for slightly longer exploration sessions, and I'm up to 4F. TP Up seems to be making a huge difference for my medic, though, so I may start rotating in some other members to build that up.

Does anyone know how the random number generator is seeded in this game? I took several trips to explore 3F, and during my walk back to town through 2F, I'd always encounter the same two random battles at exactly the same two locations when I took the same path (though it varied when I started mixing up where I chose to strafe and where to turn). Could this have implications when we're trying to get random drops later on?

Meg
06-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I've finally had time to break open my copy, and I put in my password and started the game. So... the guild name transfers, the crown transfers, and that's it? The crown is nerfed now? What happened to the town medal? I know it's wishful thinking, but I'd almost give anything for my Shinryuu sword to transfer over, if only so that I'd have a reason to actually use it.

Anyway, besides that, I almost got killed the first time I entered the labyrinth because I forgot to buy any healing items! I mapped out the level by the skin of my teeth. Wheee!

Sprite
06-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Nunix, I suspect you're right about the Hexer. It's skills are incredibly powerful... after they're maxed out. I think I might switch mine out for a War Magus until I'm a stratum or too in, then I can take advantage of those 80% chance bind moves and debuffs (and later on the broken Revenge move).

Traumadore
06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I agree about ronin kicking ass. Because of a quest and a treasure he had a wakizashi and power ring before leaving 1f, and was doing 75 damage. That is madness compared to EO1. I'm trying to get a feel for the pace and difficulty. I think I truly did forget how many trips it took me to push through the 2nd and 3rd floors before. I feel like I should be able to take out the ragelopes but they are killing 1 or 2 people per turn right now.

The one thing that seems to be less pronounced high defense/magic weak monsters. There were the clawfly and the old rollers that were pretty much not worth trying to whittle down with physical attacka. There hasn't been an equivalent enemy yet, which is ironic since there are so many more ways to deal elemental damage now besides an alchemist.

Also, I maxed out Regenall for the War Magus, even though it definitely felt weak. Turns out it has been great at least for exploring the early floors. The thing that makes it nice is you never have to spend a turn to cast it, or use any TP. It is actually doing a great deal of the healing, and I just realized tonight I mapped over 50% of 3f without even casting cure. I can also count at least 4-5 times someone has survived because of this skill. I figure if it turns out not to scale up then I can just spec out of it.

PapillonReel
06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Just had a rematch against [Chimera] with my secondary team to see if they were ready for the next stratum, and thanks to Edward's (A) force-skill, it only lasted one turn.

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

spineshark
06-22-2008, 01:12 AM
The force skills let you get away with a lot of things you probably shouldn't be able to. But they're not alone like that...

I just finished 10F, and am onto the third stratum. I was sure I knew what it would look like, basically, and I was right. But that just raises further questions: what in the world is #5 going to be?

For the WHATEVER THAT THING WAS on 10F, I had:

ブラックベリ (damned character limits forced me to cut it short) - Level 26 Medic
Caduceus (maxed) and prereqs, other three points in HP up

ピーチ - Level 25 Dark Hunter
Skills were a great big mess, basically, I had her spamming l4 Cuffs the whole time. It only landed once though.

アンズ - Level 26 War Magus
Once again, her skills are bad. She used the Poison -> Leg Bind move for extra damage even though it didn't do anything.

ブルーベリー - Level 26 Medic
I have no idea what this move is called in either version, so to reference Megaten instead, I only had her attack for weak damage during the battle and use a max-rank Recarmdra every few turns when the front line was on the verge of total destruction.

スイカ - Level 26 Hexer
Cycled between Head Binds (although the boss only seems to use the confusing scream move once, during the first turn, so I don't think this does anything), Sapping (maxed), and using Nectars.
At the end, the entire front line were alive but my back was dead. That's not such a bad outcome really, since of course the people who are getting hit the most need it more.

My DWH trio are poorly skilled right now and as soon as I get some ground in the third strata I'm going to be respeccing them, now that I have a better understanding of what they do. They're more than good enough for the moment, since they're at least as useful overall as my offensive core in the first game was (though I scrapped them too today, go figure), but this game is giving me enough heat that I really need to take it all the way.

nunix
06-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Also, I maxed out Regenall for the War Magus, even though it definitely felt weak. Turns out it has been great at least for exploring the early floors. The thing that makes it nice is you never have to spend a turn to cast it, or use any TP. It is actually doing a great deal of the healing, and I just realized tonight I mapped over 50% of 3f without even casting cure. I can also count at least 4-5 times someone has survived because of this skill. I figure if it turns out not to scale up then I can just spec out of it.

Had the same experience with Regenall even at 2 points; however, it does not scale. If I start running into a lot of battles where 10-15 HP makes all the difference, I should probably just gain a level or two. =p

Amasingly, you can Rest a character, really early.. my main team has hit 6F but I've been working up a Beast to join them. I think I'll have the main team get to L22 or so, then rest, then redistribute points and have them start working back up through 2nd stratum.

MCBanjoMike
06-22-2008, 11:28 AM
OK, this is bad: my Amazon pre-order doesn't have a ship date and the page for the game lists it as currently out of stock (on Amazon.ca). I think I'll swing by an EBGames or two this afternoon and see if I can procure a copy there.

UPDATE: Success! They didn't have any copies at EBGames, but one of the Game Buzz stores had a huge pile of copies and they weren't even overcharging for them! The Lagaardians can sleep safely knowing that the Pi guild will be there to safeguard their town and draw cute little maps for them.

Mr. Sensible
06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
If I do pick up EO2, I'm guessing I can just skip the first game? Assuming it's even still available.

It's either this or The World Ends With You. I'm pretty torn at the moment.

PapillonReel
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
If I do pick up EO2, I'm guessing I can just skip the first game? Assuming it's even still available.

You can, yes, since the direct connection between the two is pretty small (vague references, password bonuses, etc.).

nunix
06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Question for anyone who's Checked the tree at SE corner of C3 on 6F: which of your characters scaled the tree? My DH went up the tree and used her whip to grab the pack, but took 50 HP damage from the tree; I'm guessing a Survivalist might be able to avoid the damage?.

Also, here's some numbers on item drops and Scavenge (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41706099) that I picked up from GameFAQs board and that you might be interested in! From my own playing this seems spot-on. I gave my Medic maxed-out Scavenge and I get spammed with items all the damned time. The trouble is I don't have Medic in my party normally.. the Hexer can get Scavenge but has lame prereqs. I'll still probably work on unlocking it, it's -that good-.

Summary: gather points aren't good for money anymore. Have one or two party members with maxed Scavenge instead.

Octopus Prime
06-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I was almost able to beat the Chimera, but then a Slave Imp respawned nearby and joined the battle.

Individually, those things aren't very dangerous, but in groups they are capable of Buffing and Healing other enemies, such as a ridiculously powerufl level boss...

Anyhow, I figure with a little bit more grinding I should be able to take it down. At the very least, I've found a short cut so I don't have to run through all of Level 5 every time.

PapillonReel
06-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Of course, you could always bring an Alchemist with his/her maxed force-skill and one-shot him instead...

Egarwaen
06-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Summary: gather points aren't good for money anymore. Have one or two party members with maxed Scavenge instead.

But it's still worth tossing one point into every member's gather skill for the gear prereqs, right?

Octopus Prime
06-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Of course, you could always bring an Alchemist with his/her maxed force-skill and one-shot him instead...

Theoretically, yes. However, I have no Alchemist, so that plan will most likely not work.

And I'm trying to make up for my lack of Scavenge by pumping points into Luck. According to the Manual, Luck affects drops, and may have some other benefit as well.

Plus, I want Freddie Mercury to learn Divinity.

Destil
06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
So I just picked this up yesterday. Never played the first but I've always been a fan of Wizardry.

Lashalda, Protector
Agear, War Magus
Shimi, Ronin
Io, Survivalist
Till, Medic

I'm wondering if this is too defensive a combination? The War Magus is focusing on attacks with just a smattering of cure, he deals decent damage and takes hit well enough. I've been working my Ronin to be able to hit all targets with elemental attacks, she deals most of our damage. Generally I pile everyone else on one monster and she takes one down on her own.

I really like Regenall... I've considered making a party of 4 Warmagus and a hexer for dungeon grinding. I doubt they can keep up against FOEs, but 20 HP back a round at 3rd level seems pretty awesome.

Also, does anyone have a breakdown of what each stat does? I.E. Is agility turn order, or accuracy / evasion? Both? How much does mend heal, I've sunk 3 ranks into it and seen no improvement. Suppose I should just look over game FAQs...

Octopus Prime
06-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Also, does anyone have a breakdown of what each stat does? I.E. Is agility turn order, or accuracy / evasion? Both? How much does mend heal, I've sunk 3 ranks into it and seen no improvement. Suppose I should just look over game FAQs...

As I understand it:
STR - Damage done by regular attacks
TEC - Damage dealt by Techniques (possibly healing as well)
VIT - Amount of damage suffered
AGI - Turn Order and Evasion (possibly accuracy)
LUC - Drop Rate (possibly Critical Rate, Accuracy and anything else not affected by the other stats)

nunix
06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
But it's still worth tossing one point into every member's gather skill for the gear prereqs, right?

Oh yeah, definitely. But for anyone that's having trouble with money, better to have a maxed Scavenger than to have a dedicated Survivalist team or something, you know?

Destil
06-22-2008, 04:50 PM
As I understand it:
STR - Damage done by regular attacks
TEC - Damage dealt by Techniques (possibly healing as well)
VIT - Amount of damage suffered
AGI - Turn Order and Evasion (possibly accuracy)
LUC - Drop Rate (possibly Critical Rate, Accuracy and anything else not affected by the other stats) How does Vit vs. Def breakdown? i.e. at what defense bonus should I scrap my protector's +5 vit accessory for honest-to-god armor? Is this reflected enitrely in the Def bonus I can see when I wear it?

Brickroad
06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, I just crashed the game!

I was farming for a drop on 4F to make some new equipment, mowing through monsters like it weren't no thang, when I noticed (for the first time) the L-Auto indicator on the battle screen halfway through entering my commands for the round. I pushed it and my guys started attacking, but the command window didn't go away, so I started pushing A too to issue commands. After a few attacks I won the battle, and the results screen filled up with purple garbage. Then the top screen went black and froze, looping the battle victory music endlessly.

It was a rare-ish drop too. Hope I can find it again quickly. =(

Octopus Prime
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I returned to battle with the dread Chimera, sitting on it's throne at the center of Floor 5. Bon Jovi dedicated to Provoking the beast, Mustrum Ridcully focused on Healing and Freddie Mercury singing the power ballads that curiously increase physical resistance, all the while, Edward James Olmos and Errol Flynn striking with their most powerful attacks.

Though long, the battle was ending victorously for me. A few times Freddie needed to pull of singing to help with healing, and Errol needed to shoot out some Medi-Shots now and then, before too long, Errol, Freddie and Olmos had exhausted all their TP and were down to using regular attacks.

Suddenly, DISASTER! In sowing the wind, I reaped the whirlwind. The Monster poisons my entire back row, and the damage of the toxins is enough to kill them all! Bon Jovi stops taunting the creature and goes on the offensive. At the last possible second, Edward James Olmos leaps into the air and splits the Chimera's head in twain. The two surviving members of Team Buttfore emerge victorious, gather up the monsters tail and split enough combat experience to each level up twice.

I never felt so badass to beat a monster in a video game.

spineshark
06-22-2008, 05:33 PM
How does Vit vs. Def breakdown? i.e. at what defense bonus should I scrap my protector's +5 vit accessory for honest-to-god armor? Is this reflected enitrely in the Def bonus I can see when I wear it?
1 point of vitality gives you an armor point, so assuming that armor doesn't do anything else and vitality does (which could easily be wrong, I have nothing to base it off of, except why would they have a redundant stat they could've just saved confusion by calling DEF).

11F was excellent, I seem to be "done" with it for now, and I really like the "shortcut," which is an actual path, you see, instead of like, "look through the trees until you "find" something by pressing A". Also, the third stratum has the best dungeon music in the game so far. Keep it coming!

12F is even better. I know some people will hate it, since it kind of brings back one of the more unpopular terrain features of the original, but I think it's done really wonderfully here, in a manner that gives it a better puzzle element.

And the War Magus' mana returning abilities? BEYOND AMAZING. More on that after I eat >_>

Zen
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
This thread (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=43764838) on GameFAQs has links to tons of other threads by a guy named Terence. He's been picking apart the Japanese version for a while now, but none of this is in a FAQ yet. Since GameFAQs has a habit of letting good threads die all the time, I took the liberty of preserving the information here (http://zork.net/~zen/misc/eo2/). I didn't get every scrap of detail from each thread, since he answers some questions here and there, but I got a few of his addenda.

Note that most of the bugs, if not all, that he mentions were fixed for the US versions, and sometimes his translations are different from the US version or even outright wrong. You can still figure everything out from this, though.

Brickroad
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Glad to hear the drop rates were fixed. I might actually complete my item lists this time!

spineshark
06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
These people who can really dig into games and come out with tons of useful, technical information always blow me away.

On an unrelated note, I just got completely waxed on 12F, losing the better part of an hour of progress (aside from the map, which will be a huge help). I couldn't bear to look at what it was, but I think it had about five heads...

Anyway, when it comes to the War Magus and the Transfer/TP steal abilities, I wondered if they'd work fast enough. I'd have to say the answer is a resounding yes, at least as soon as I can pass more than 10 TP per turn. The TP steal itself is crazy, and the Curse status (which is required for the combo) is worth using on its own merits by this point too.

Also! Does anybody else have experience with the Dark Hunter's Trapping (in the Japanese...but it fits, so maybe it's the same) skills? It's kind of early to have them, since the only reason to have the prerequisites before higher levels is to specifically aim for the skills, (Whip/Sword Mastery each level 8) but they seem really good...when they work.

Destil
06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Since GameFAQs has a habit of letting good threads die all the time, I took the liberty of preserving the information here (http://zork.net/~zen/misc/eo2/). I didn't get every scrap of detail from each thread, since he answers some questions here and there, but I got a few of his addenda.Zen, you're my new hero for the next 6.3 hours. Thanks a lot!
These people who can really dig into games and come out with tons of useful, technical information always blow me away.
Reading it, he's defiantly decompiled the ROM for this info.

Egarwaen
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Also! Does anybody else have experience with the Dark Hunter's Trapping (in the Japanese...but it fits, so maybe it's the same) skills? It's kind of early to have them, since the only reason to have the prerequisites before higher levels is to specifically aim for the skills, (Whip/Sword Mastery each level 8) but they seem really good...when they work.

For that matter, has anyone tried a Swords DH? I went Whips all the way in EO, and have gone whip-heavy so far in EOII, but I really want to give them a try... I wonder how a DW would compare to DL or HW in terms of damage output?

Also, that was extremely badass of you, Zen. And super-ultra badass of the original author. Now I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my Protector's build.

PapillonReel
06-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm using a Sword Hunter right now, and he's proving pretty good! He only knows Drain right now though, since I'm trying to get him to max out Bait and Magibait (both of which are deadly against F.O.E.s), but it's strong enough on its own that it makes it worthwhile. Also, I suspect Petrify to be a pretty good F.O.E. killer when maxed out, since I managed to get the status to land on one once with Scathach's Force-skill and it ended the battle right away.

As for the other status effects, the Hexer (as usual) outdoes him in every way, but they have a good damage boost that makes them pretty strong attackers. Overall, I'd say I'm enjoying my Sword Hunter more than my Whip Hunter in Etria 1.

spineshark
06-22-2008, 08:28 PM
The Rest I used today switched Peach from Whips to Swords, at least in theory (she has 8 points in Whips, like I said, for the traps, but she's using Drain). My damage has gone down but I already knew it would because I haven't had spare points to throw into STR Up yet, and the Broadsword is weaker than the Beast Tail [whip]. Drain is wonderful, and I'm sure the status effect ones work if you're in the market for those effects. Binds are still good in EO2, but they fade very fast in all the experience I've had (maybe they last longer at higher levels?), so I'm aiming my team more for endurance, safety, and consistency as I move into the third stratum. (As well as prepping Black for backup healing duties once she finishes maxing her major offensive and defensive skills soon)

I think overall, Swords is a lower-damage but much more self-reliant build. I like it a lot, but it definitely feels completely different, as it should. And actually, I agree with Mr. Reel. Whips have a lot of cool stuff, but switching to Swords is rather...liberating. I don't have to yell at the game when the Cuffs fail at a crucial moment.

Brickroad
06-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Busted out my War Magus (Geno) to prime him for use in the "stay on 4F for three days" quest. I maxed out Regenall (might spec out of it later though) and gave him a 3TP Cure to help. I'm doing the quest with LRWGM.

Regenall takes care of most of the incidental healing, and my Force skills are pulling their weight too. I've been down here almost a full day and I've only burned a couple of Geno's Cures.

The most difficult part of the quest is just slogging through it. By the time I'm done I should have enough money to gear up for the fight against Chimera on 5F.

My plan is to use Geno as basically a mana battery once he's high enough level. He can't totally replace my medic, since he'll never get Revive, but I'll get some use out of him.

cables
06-22-2008, 08:59 PM
This thread (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=43764838)

Awesome. I feel like a cheater looking through all these stats, but I guess it's no worse than using two Ronin for the first few floors (or using Immunize last time around). Can anyone comment on the status of the Ronin Koteuchi/Tsukikage and Katana Mastery bugs?

On EO2 in general: It took a few hours to get accustomed to the differences between it and the original, but I have a handle on things now. The fact that resting a character only brings them down 5 levels is huge and really let's you play for the moment rather than planning for the upper stratum.