PDA

View Full Version : Alt 23: Space Invaders Extreme

Parish
06-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't be fooled by the title! It is not actually extreme. At least not in the backward-hat-wearing, Dew-doing sense of the word.

Space Invaders Extreme
Taito / Square Enix | DS / PSP | Shooter | 2008

I guess you can also talk about Arkanoid DS here too, maybe.

shivam
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Is this better than the new warlords?

Willm
06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
And here I was hoping for a Halo-inspired Gamer Fuel Mountain Dew to come out with a little Space Invader on the can...

I'm really looking forward to picking this up in the next few days. The numerous references to Pac-Man CE makes it sound incredible.

Any preference between the two versions? I've been leaning towards the PSP version, but I've heard some negative things about the FMV backgrounds (I've also heard that you can disable them, though.)

spineshark
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I never really liked Space Invaders (even when I was a kid and the Atari version was one of the better games we had*), but this is cheap and I've heard some interesting things about it. Anyway, whether or not I buy it, hopefully this is better than the last game I bought with "extreme" in the title.

*the SUPER TAITO FANSERVICE EDITION where you could play as the girl from Kiki Kaikai and the Silver Hawk was mildly amusing, however.

Calorie Mate
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Space Invaders. I probably won't be getting this, but I'll keep my eye on the thread in case ya'll say something that changes my mind.

ALSO: I'm assuming the Creature Creator Alt was cancelled because I expressed my distaste for not making genitalia.

Adrenaline
06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
There's no Alt 22! Everything's ruined!

TheSL
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
There's no Alt 22! Everything's ruined!

Blame Calorie Mate.

Patrick
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll probably pick up the DS version soon. Can anyone give me impressions of the standard (non imported spinny wheel) controls? Everytime I read about the controls it's about how I should spend a bunch of money on a peripheral that I'll use for one game (which I am morally and financially opposed to).

Parish
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Alt 22 was Snake's Revenge. You may cease panicking.

Violentvixen
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll probably pick up the DS version soon. Can anyone give me impressions of the standard (non imported spinny wheel) controls? Everytime I read about the controls it's about how I should spend a bunch of money on a peripheral that I'll use for one game (which I am morally and financially opposed to).

Arkanoid?

Adrenaline
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
But wasn't the first Spite Club not an Alt? I'm confused.

Ben1842
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I want to give this game a shot, but my local store didn't get any. :(

I think I'm gonna get the PSP version, once I can find it.

Shadax
06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Shame on everyone who is not picking this up because they don't like the original Space Invaders. It's pretty much the same thing as telling us that you aren't interested in Rez because the old Star Wars rail-shooters did nothing for you. The game takes the Space Invaders formula, deconstructs it to it's prime elements, then fuses them together into something completely awesome using arcane far-eastern magic.

Octopus Prime
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm totally getting Space Invaders Extreme the second I see it. There can be no debate on this issue.

Arkanoid I'm not opposed to, but not terribly excited for either.

SamuelMarston
06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
I've been playing this game in single and multiplayer bouts, without the wheel, and I can tell you that this game is a good time waiting to happen.

It is also wickedly addictive.

P.S. It is rumblepack compatible, and YES, you will be wanting to track one down.

Eusis
06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice, I'll actually have some use for it since it's kinda just collected dust since I got it.

SamuelMarston
06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Nice, I'll actually have some use for it since it's kinda just collected dust since I got it.

I guess it's some bonus to those of us who can't or won't import a wheel.

I would like one, but I can't justify it right now. I'm going broke!

The Rumble-Pack does lend the game something of a Rez feel.

Patrick
06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I've been playing this game in single and multiplayer bouts, without the wheel, and I can tell you that this game is a good time waiting to happen.

It is also wickedly addictive.

Thanks! I'll pick it up once I'm done with MGS4, the 1up preview had me mostly sold already.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Got the DS version per Parish -- I'm thrilled to learn it has rumble support! Whoooo!

I've played the Japanese demo on my PSP quite a bit, but I haven't gotten into the DS version yet.

Ben1842
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
On the DS version, how is the gap (between screens)?
That's one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward PSP right now.

reibeatall
06-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Is this better than the new warlords?

Does not compute. How could anything be better than the new warlords?

SamuelMarston
06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
On the DS version, how is the gap (between screens)?
That's one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward PSP right now.

If you've played Contra 4 or Metroid Prime Pinball it most likely won't bother you. Both screens only come into play during certain rounds, and even if the gap becomes a pain, you can turn it off in the options.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 06:38 AM
It has Rumble Support and the option to turn off* the dead-zone?

Jeez, this game has what every DS game should offer! Though I have no problem with the dead-zone itself, and tend to get confused when it's not present, and its absense was my biggest complaint with Nervous Brickdown.

Speaking of: Is it worth getting Arkanoid DS if I have Nervous Brickdown and no Wheel?

TheSL
06-19-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm probably going to pick this up on the way home tonight, so I put in a $6 bid on Metroid Prime Pinball with the rumble pack. The prospect of portable synesthesia excites me.

SamuelMarston
06-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Having played a little further today, I realized that each stage has different samples that play to events in the game, and they do line up with the beat.

Very much like Rez. Not Rez, but like it.

shivam
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
ok ok ok. which system, then?

SamuelMarston
06-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey guys, I adjusted the gap on my DS copy in great haste, and I don't remember what the default setting was.

Could someone clue me in?

Torgo
06-19-2008, 01:27 PM
ok ok ok. which system, then?
Seconding this question.

SamuelMarston
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Seconding this question.

What system would you rather play in general? As far as I've heard neither version has an advantage over the other.

Pombar
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
What system would you rather play in general? As far as I've heard neither version has an advantage over the other.Looks to me that the DS version has the edge for being able to see the enemy's screen during Versus. Besides that, the PSP has widescreen and the DS uses top screen for boss battles - they kinda even out each other.
Then it's just a question of whether, for you, the shiny of the PSP version outweighs the Versus screen thing. Oh, and then which system you actually prefer playing, I suppose.

Octopus Prime
06-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I went with the DS version, since I play my DS frequently, and my PSP seldomly.

SamuelMarston
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I went with the DS version, since I play my DS frequently, and my PSP seldomly.

I was thinking about this factor, and I considered that perhaps this might get gamers playing their PSPs more often.

shivam
06-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Space invaders is interesting, but it really kills me how slow your little gun thing moves at the bottom. Love the laser though. And i get totally fucked up on the bonus rounds where you have to look at both screens simultaniously. I haven't figured out how to look where to shoot AND where to dodge at the same time.

Arkanoid is still ball breaking.

Octopus Prime
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I haven't figured out how to look where to shoot AND where to dodge at the same time.

Just do what I do, focus on dodging and shoot like crazy.

Willm
06-20-2008, 08:13 PM
After listening to the Space Invaders Retronauts today, I finally cracked and bought the PSP version. The first two places I went to didn't have the game an all, and the third place only had the PSP version, so I picked it up. Besides, the larger display will probably be easier on my eyes. BTW: Jeremy, I feel bad for thinking a Parish/Bettenhausen MGS4 podcast debate would have been a good idea. I didn't realize how burnt out you were on Metal Gear, but the tone in your voice clearly demonstrated that it has destroyed your eternal soul. But I'm glad someone other than me remembers how freakin' awesome Power Blade was...

So far, I really do love the game. I really like the random surprises the game throws at you, especially the random bonus stages. The power ups make the game so much more interesting, since you have to destroy enemies in patterns to activate them, while still destroying enemies fast enough to keep your chain level up. The boss fight are interesting too, and some of them have puzzle elements, which is a nice touch.

I still need to work on my high score though...I've lost my old school shooter skills, apparently. I've only managed to unlock the "easy" path levels so far. I tend to focus on self-preservation rather than achieving a high score, which is a problem.

KCar
06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Discovered my finances weren't as momentarily dire as I thought they were, and picked this up today. It is fun. I like it very much.

And yeah - I love that it almost feels like a rhythm game. I think the sound design might be the best thing about it. Those beeps and boops are intoxicating.

pence
06-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I picked up a copy for NDS at a Specialty Games Retailer (not even the one I usually go to, with the employee who thinks Legend of Dragoon is the best PSOne RPG). I had forgotten that the arkanoid paddle was import-only, so I got some funny looks when I asked if they had it; oh well, two directional buttons is the historically accurate way to control Space Invaders, anyway.

I'd enjoy a 'boss rush' mode so I can practice the boss from 5-A, because that shit is just unfair -- I finally reached him with 3 lives and used every one to get him down. Oh, and the quantized shooting sounds that make music while you play are neat, but how much do I have to pay to get Q Entertainment to do the soundtrack?