PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man Legends

mr_bungle700
06-02-2007, 09:30 PM
So Parish's blog post (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8166087&publicUserId=5379721) on this subject has convinced me to finally play these games. I figure this is as good a time as any to have a thread where everyone can talk about how awesome they are.

specific_chris
06-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I loved the first one, but unfortunately hopped on the bandwagon too late for the second one to be readily available anymore... It's unfortunate because the second one was really cool too!

Eusis
06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
My MML2 disc has some pretty bad scratch that several runs through the Disc Doctor haven't fixed. It's not like it won't play or anything, it'll just skip in some scenes. Maybe I'm lucky though and it'd only skip in the scene when those ducks attacked... Nevertheless, I'm going to have to look into buffering solutions for a specific part of a disc.

And I missed out on Tron Bonne because I sucked and kept waiting.

alexb
06-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I believe I've mentioned this in the past, but the time is more than ripe for a sequel to Misadventures of Tron Bonne where Tron and Roll work together trying to steal and earn enough to construct a rocket so they can go collect Mega Man on the moon. Imagine fights with you commanding the Servbot Army and being able to switch on the fly between three squads headed by Tron, Tiesel, Roll. It would be awesome beyond measure. Squad based tactics to set up combos. Diversionary measures so that another team can sneak in and steal the goods while the battle rages.

Also, they should quit calling him Mega Man in Legends. This is a pet peeve of mine. He should be called Rock, at the very least by his own family. He's a person, not a robot. Or close enough, anyway. It obviously makes sense for Reaverbots and other Mega Men to recognize him as such, but people on the street? Besides, I've heard they do call him Rock (not Rockman) in the Japanese version.

20XX
06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
They shouldn't spend enough time on Mega Man in those games to even bother addressing him by name. He takes away from Tron Bonne and the Servbots.

I guess I want a sequel to Misadventures more than anything. That's one of my favorite games ever, and I have no idea why.

alexb
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, and if they ever do make a sequel to this series, they must -must- keep Tron and Tiesel's voice actors. It wouldn't be the same without Big Brother's shrieking hysterics and rumbling bravado.

gamin
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
All the praise lavished on the Mega Man Legends games in the recent features has brought me to ebay. First game seems easy enough to find, but the sequel seems to be in the $20-30 range for the game with case and manual. I guess I should actually play the first game before thinking about the sequel.

alexb
06-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Considering it's a direct sequel, that's the best option regardless.

specific_chris
06-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh man, Tiesel and Tron are products of the best voice-acting in video games, I think. Well, in the experience I've had. Tiesel always was my favorite character.

Torgo
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I never really understood the hate and poor sales for Legends. The game is amazing. It was ahead of it's time in animation, quality voice acting (at least in console games), and good writing. I had to do a double take on those screens Parish posted on his blog. For all the flak PSX games get for aging like crap, Legends still looks pretty friggin' good.

All this talk makes me want to bust out my copy of Legends. And buy a copy of and finally play Legends 2.

reibeatall
06-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I own all three games, but I'm also a pretty big MegaMan fan. Not super hardcore, but still, I own every one PS1 era on.

Vahn16
06-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Parish's post has made me want to play this series too. Hey, wait a minute, my PSP can play PS1 games. Excellent.

20XX
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't know if it's a good port, but EB's got the PC version as a $14.99 download.
http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=mega+man+legends&N=0&find.x=0&find.y=0&find=Search

Meg
06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I never finished MML2, and the idea that it ends on a cliffhanger doesn't necessarily motivate me to pick it back up. I can't even remember where I left off, but I was working towards some ultimate weapon... A sword, or something? Now, Tron Bonne, however. "A lunch! B lunch! SPAGHETTI!" Great, now I have to get it out.

Excitemike
06-03-2007, 12:20 AM
I never really understood the hate and poor sales for Legends.
Let me think about that...
It was ahead of it's time
Oh, yeah, that was why.

I played through it again two months ago. Lack of analog aside, the game holds up really well. I really should get the sequel some day.

nadia
06-03-2007, 04:06 AM
There's something to be said about a happy, sunny game plot full of fun and pirates that ultimately climaxes with a pod of killer birth control robots called "Eden."

It is all good things, I assure you.

Guy
06-03-2007, 04:07 AM
I don't know if it's a good port, but EB's got the PC version as a $14.99 download.
http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=mega+man+legends&N=0&find.x=0&find.y=0&find=Search

I know only two things about it:

1. It's anti-aliased (which is sweet).

2. The music is stored on the disk as un-loopable WAV files (which is not so sweet).

However, it seems like it would be a perfect fit for keyboard-mouse play. Can anybody provide info from personal experience?

Deadguy2322
06-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Has anyone tried the converted PS1 versions on PSP? I have Misadventures, but am not sure if it will work well enough to bother ripping it for my PSP. I can't remember if it needed the L2 and R2 buttons much, if at all.

Torgo
06-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Let me think about that...

Oh, yeah, that was why.

I played through it again two months ago. Lack of analog aside, the game holds up really well. I really should get the sequel some day.
Innovation doesn't sell confirmed? Unless the graphical style was that off putting to players, I don't think the areas it excelled in could really be a deterrent to sales. Pretty graphics and excellent sound usually help a game.

Kirin
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
+1 to the conclusion that a sequel to Misadventures of Tron Bonne would be awesome beyond words. I love the game.

I really should play MML2, though, which I've never actually owned.

marcalan
06-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I feel like I should run through MML 1, 2 and Tronne again. Maybe I will, after playing Atelier Iris 3.

Excitemike
06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Innovation doesn't sell confirmed? Unless the graphical style was that off putting to players, I don't think the areas it excelled in could really be a deterrent to sales. Pretty graphics and excellent sound usually help a game.
It was the latest game in a long running series that was completely different from what came before. I'm speaking from experience; I wanted nothing to do with this game because it wasn't what I was expecting. I think GameFan may have been what convinced me to give it a chance.

I was really hoping Capcom would dump the PSP ports on our shores, not that they were any great shakes or anything but it might have meant getting Legends 2 at a decent price.

Sanagi
06-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I played the first one and really enjoyed it. Never got around to playing the second one.

Memories that spring to mind most readily include speed-skating through town and riding cars for no reason.

Deadguy2322
06-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I was really hoping Capcom would dump the PSP ports on our shores, not that they were any great shakes or anything but it might have meant getting Legends 2 at a decent price.

I blame this on all the jerks saying the PSP gets nothing but ports. Thanks to them, Sony banned a lot of great ports like these and Disgaea.

Vahn16
06-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Disgaea is coming over here this fall.

Deadguy2322
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Disgaea is coming over here this fall.

I sincerely hope you are right about that. I haven't heard any good news on the subject.

hank_tree
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I've never played any of the MM Legends series but since the PSP now has a pretty good PS1 emulator I guess there's no reason for me not to.

dangerhelvetica
06-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I sincerely hope you are right about that. I haven't heard any good news on the subject.

It'll be DS stylee though.

ozacrot
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I just started playing through MML2 a couple days ago, and though I played through MML for the first time about a year ago, I'm really struck by how easy and comfortable it controls, and how good it looks for a ps1 game. It's also all sorts of fun, and put together with al sorts of love. (Right now, I'm on my way to presumably the first boss fight with Tron Bonne. Just outside the town where she is, there are Servbots running around saying things like "Tron is in town. She's badder than ever this time!" That's how you talk up a boss fight!)

As to why it wasn't a big success - alienating fans of the Megaman series with the different perspective and being too bright and kiddie-looking when such games were sneered at outside of the N64's confines probably had something to do with it.

Parish
06-03-2007, 04:00 PM
(Right now, I'm on my way to presumably the first boss fight with Tron Bonne. Just outside the town where she is, there are Servbots running around saying things like "Tron is in town. She's badder than ever this time!" That's how you talk up a boss fight!)
Just wait until the actual fight. Tron's attempts at psychological warfare are endlessly comical.

Sprite
06-03-2007, 05:18 PM
If Capcom doesn't bring out a Tron/Roll sequel by the time I'm fifty I may just have to take the issue into my own hands and spend the rest of my life crafting a Multimedia Fusion masterpiece. That's just how much I care about happiness.

bobservo
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I did a recent playthrough of both, and I think they're very good games until you get to their respective last bosses. At that point, the difficulty spikes by 100 points and you're forced to do maneuvering that the controls are a little too weak for.

Also I feel I should point out that I bought a Tron Bonne figure at one of the many closing-down Suncoasts for only $5. Which I guess explains why so many Suncoasts were closing down.

Excitemike
06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Also I feel I should point out that I bought a Tron Bonne figure at one of the many closing-down Suncoasts for only $5.
I passed that up for some reasons which eludes me. I have spent every waking moment of my life since regretting that decision.

reibeatall
06-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm seriously trying to win the lottery so I can give Inafune that $15 million he needs.

Savathun
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I mean, I liked the first Legends, but not as much as everyone else seemed to. I'm mostly just hoping they'll make a third one so it'll warm your cold, black hearts. I think that kind of makes me a philanthropist. Well, one that doesn't actually do anything. But I'm sending good vibes, man.

mr_bungle700
06-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm seriously trying to win the lottery so I can give Inafune that $15 million he needs.

Me too. I haven't even played the Legends games yet but that response was absolutely classic. Plus, he's Inafune. He deserves it.

alexb
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Also I feel I should point out that I bought a Tron Bonne figure at one of the many closing-down Suncoasts for only $5. Which I guess explains why so many Suncoasts were closing down.

Got a picture? I'd like to see if they made her look like a man or not.

nadia
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
The most tragic event in the history of everything is the Servbot who gets left behind after one eventful battle in Legends 2.

I think at one point he starts crying about how he's going to miss dinner, and they were going to have hamburgers. Aw.

Guy
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM

I had this idea of making a Megaman Legends 3 petition site where everyone donates $5 or $10 to the cause, which would altogether be given to Inafune in exchange for our names in a special section of the ending credits. Too bad I'm lazy.

Torgo
06-03-2007, 09:50 PM
It was the latest game in a long running series that was completely different from what came before. I'm speaking from experience; I wanted nothing to do with this game because it wasn't what I was expecting.
Different strokes, I guess. As a long-time MM fan, I was stoked for it.

bobservo
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Got a picture? I'd like to see if they made her look like a man or not.

The only problem with the figure is that it has some weird variant colors.

Guy
06-03-2007, 10:50 PM
You know, at this point I'd simply settle for a Megaman Legends Anniversary Collection on 360, or maybe putting them up for download on Xbox Live Arcade. I could buy the originals on eBay, but... eBay!

Tomm Guycot
06-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I had this idea of making a Megaman Legends 3 petition site where everyone donates $5 or $10 to the cause, which would altogether be given to Inafune in exchange for our names in a special section of the ending credits. Too bad I'm lazy.

Too bad that many people haven't played the Legends series. your plan is doomed for failure :( (this is a bad thing)

Guy
06-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Too bad that many people haven't played the Legends series. your plan is doomed for failure :( (this is a bad thing)

So a few of us would have to donate twice. It's a worthy cause.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Inafune and company should just band together and develop Legends 3 in their spare time, just like how they made Mega Man 2 back when. With the 360's technology, it should only take about fifteen years.

Kirin
06-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Also I feel I should point out that I bought a Tron Bonne figure at one of the many closing-down Suncoasts for only $5.

Aw, man, how'd I miss that one?

Ah well, I'll make do with my cold-cast 10" Tron-and-3-servbots statue which I, uh, paid considerably more than $5 for. Totally worth it, though.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I started another playthrough last night. Now I have to get the other games. Thanks a lot, Talking Time.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Does anybody either know how to extract sounds from a PS1 disc, or have MP3s of the Servbots' dialogue from Misadventures? I need the Servbot announcing an incoming communication as a ringer on my cell phone.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Does anybody either know how to extract sounds from a PS1 disc, or have MP3s of the Servbots' dialogue from Misadventures? I need the Servbot announcing an incoming communication as a ringer on my cell phone.
I'll keep a lookout. I'd like that as well.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
So I was listening to the soundtrack during lunch. There's a very J-pop theme song in there that I'm certain wasn't in the American release. Could anyone who has played the Japanese version tell me what part of the game it was from?

Kishi
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it plays over the credits. In the American version, we were spared from that cookie-cutter garbage and got a smooth musical remix of the in-game dialogue instead. Talk about a considerate localization.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I think both territories got screwed.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, c'mon. The ravings of Tiesel and Tron never get old.

nadia
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
There's a battle in Legends 2 where Teisel uses a town's sacred statue to shield himself during the fight. Mega Man can either fight carefully and preserve the statue, or he can just blow everything away and end the battle quickly (which loses major brownie points with the villagers).

I usually opted to destroy the statue just because I loved to hear Teisel say, "...That little punk! He didn't even care about the Statue!"

Actually, I think that fight was preceded with the famous line: "We're pirates, not barbarians. We'll let them keep the toilet paper."

Savathun
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
This thread has actually forced me to look up videos on youtube of Legends 1 and 2. Never played the second one, but my favorite scene from the first is still when Megaman sneaks into that hangar, finds the giant robot, and stuns Tron in mid-stride, allowing Tiesel to eat the rest of the pizza (you know he did).

bobservo
06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Here's a legit speed run of MML1: http://speeddemosarchive.com/mmLegends.html

I've been thinking about it, and I'm leaning towards Legends 1 as my favorite. I just like how the whole game takes place on one island where almost everything is connected in some way (except for the sewers, which really didn't serve a purpose). If someone were to hack the lock-on feature of Legends 2 into Legends 1, it would probably be a perfect game.

nadia
06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
(except for the sewers, which really didn't serve a purpose).

Even genetically-altered robot-human hybrids must use the washroom.

You want 'em to sling their business out of their windows and onto your front lawn? Nooooo, didn't think so!

bobservo
06-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Even genetically-altered robot-human hybrids must use the washroom.

You want 'em to sling their business out of their windows and onto your front lawn? Nooooo, didn't think so!

So Mega Man Legends is not interesting because of its gamplay, but because of its open and frank discussion of class issues?

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 08:20 AM
If someone were to hack the lock-on feature of Legends 2 into Legends 1, it would probably be a perfect game.

Okay, this is my fanboy wet dream: You can't just drop Legends 3 on an unsuspecting gaming public several years after the fact. Capcom would have to re-release the originals somehow. Imagine remaking the originals with the Lost Planet engine? They could release all three together as a trilogy. The hardest part would be getting the voice actors back or else they might have to re-record everything, leaving an opportunity to TOTALLY RUIN THE FRANCHISE SGSDFSGGDGGSGDFDSDFG!!!! They would also have to re-balance the weapons to take into account how long you would have to level them up but they could adjust the auto-lock and polish it up, maybe add a prologue. It would be hell of slick.

I'm not sure how Tron Bonne would fit in, since it wouldn't make sense to play it chronologically. Maybe it could be an unlockable.

reibeatall
06-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I guess since we're already dreaming, why not dream BIG? I agree with Nicolai.

Dhroo
06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I realize MML2 is an objectively better game and all, but there's just something I like better about the first one. I guess this is kind of pithy and all, but I think it's the sidequests. Just about all of the side stuff in the first game gave you some kind of worthwhile reward, whereas in the second game, there are lots of tasks that require the same amount of effort as those in the first game, but don't provide nearly as much incentive.

For example, the racing game in the first gave you various items, like something to donate to the museum, and a part for the sabre weapon. But in the sequel's racing game, all you ever earn is money, and it's not really enough to make it worthwhile. Then there are all the little item giving things. Sure, I can give school supplies to the twins, or give a pig to that one girl, but it doesn't get me anything except make me a nicer person. Also, why the hell can't I donate to rebuild that desert city? I can make a donation to replace the statue if I destroyed it, but not all the wrecked buildings? I know this all seems kind of dumb, but hey, I like my sidequests! The main game is of course fantastic, though.

Also, what was the deal with all the huge continents in MML2? I thought the games were supposed to take place "in a world covered by endless water..."

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I'll reply more on this later, but in the meantime, just wondering what's going on with the Mega Contest on 1up? I clicked over to the Mega Manniversary hub page, and it's still not active.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

nadia
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Also, what was the deal with all the huge continents in MML2? I thought the games were supposed to take place "in a world covered by endless water..."

I don't know, but I think I prefer that to dozens of crappy little islands a la Wind Waker.

Disclaimer: I really loved sailing. I just wish there was more to explore.

blitzchamp
06-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Here's a legit speed run of MML1: http://speeddemosarchive.com/mmLegends.html

I've been thinking about it, and I'm leaning towards Legends 1 as my favorite. I just like how the whole game takes place on one island where almost everything is connected in some way (except for the sewers, which really didn't serve a purpose). If someone were to hack the lock-on feature of Legends 2 into Legends 1, it would probably be a perfect game.

I like MML1 better as well. I think the boss fights were better executed in MML1 over MML2. I do however like how 2 has different atmospheres and terrains, which 1 was lacking unless you count the boat scene.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 08:48 PM
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Un, don't know if you noticed, but your name appears right above every post, in big blue letters. Everybody can tell who wrote it. There's no need for a signature. Give your fingers a rest, and help prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by not typing a faux-signature every post.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Sigh, there's always someone... alright, whatever makes you happy.

Vahn16
06-09-2007, 12:41 AM
But the signature makes you distinctive! Keep it. If only one person takes issue with it, but everyone else is indifferent/likes it, then what does it matter?

Makkara
06-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Also, there's an ignore function that works wonders with jerks who like to complain about things that aren't any of their business.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 04:03 AM
I like the way you people think.

I believe I've mentioned this in the past, but the time is more than ripe for a sequel to Misadventures of Tron Bonne where Tron and Roll work together trying to steal and earn enough to construct a rocket so they can go collect Mega Man on the moon.

I've been quite vocal about this myself.

Also, they should quit calling him Mega Man in Legends. This is a pet peeve of mine. He should be called Rock, at the very least by his own family. He's a person, not a robot. Or close enough, anyway. It obviously makes sense for Reaverbots and other Mega Men to recognize him as such, but people on the street? Besides, I've heard they do call him Rock (not Rockman) in the Japanese version.

I think they call him both in Japan, depending on who it is (Rock to everyone but the System).

I do agree, though, if there were ANY change I'd make to the originals, it'd be to have him called Rock, at least in the early going. I'd make "MegaMan" a name given to him by the news reporter that just catches on really quick, after he defends City Hall from the Bonnes.

Oh, and if they ever do make a sequel to this series, they must -must- keep Tron and Tiesel's voice actors. It wouldn't be the same without Big Brother's shrieking hysterics and rumbling bravado.

Tiesel is irreplacable. Anyone else is comparatively expendable, even Tron.

I never really understood the hate and poor sales for Legends. The game is amazing. It was ahead of it's time in animation, quality voice acting (at least in console games), and good writing. I had to do a double take on those screens Parish posted on his blog. For all the flak PSX games get for aging like crap, Legends still looks pretty friggin' good.

In my MML Collection proposal (http://poisonmushroom.megamanempire.net/?page_id=1162), I touch on why I think MML didn't do so hot. Namely, too much competition from the likes of MGS, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil, as well as two other fairly-recent Mega Man games that were more traditional at the time, nowhere near the departure Legends was.

And at the time, it was hard for even Mega Man fans to get into it, because as far as they knew, it was completely irrelevant.

I do agree, however. I think a lot of that generation's games look pretty bad, but Legends holds up, especially graphically, perhaps because the designs seem to have been built around the limitations of the graphics, rather than having to conform to them.

I can't even remember where I left off, but I was working towards some ultimate weapon... A sword, or something?

Scissors beats paper, paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and the Shining Laser beats everything's ass.

MegaMan Legends Station (http://www.legends-station.com/) might have something...

I guess since we're already dreaming, why not dream BIG? I agree with Nicolai.

I too am cool with this idea. Except I'm not sure the 360 is the place for it.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 07:34 AM
MegaMan Legends Station (http://www.legends-station.com/) might have something...

I too am cool with this idea. Except I'm not sure the 360 is the place for it.

Well, as cool as that site was, and thanks for the link, they sadly had NO sound clips from Tron Bonne.

And the 360 is NOT the place for anything MML. Not enough drunken fratboy appeal.

bobservo
06-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Also, there's an ignore function that works wonders with jerks who like to complain about things that aren't any of their business.

I agree that the signing of your name after a post is a relic of the old Internet and stuff like UseNet. We are on the new internet!

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Boy, I try to look out for somebody's health, and you call me a jerk?

Besides, it wasn't your business, anyway. Hypocrite.

reibeatall
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
And the 360 is NOT the place for anything MML. Not enough drunken fratboy appeal.

Except for the fact that the engine for the game is already in place and has been used on the 360 TWICE to great success.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree that the signing of your name after a post is a relic of the old Internet and stuff like UseNet. We are on the new internet!

Member of the old guard, and proud of it!

More seriously, posts are almost like an open letter to me, and it just feels sort of naked or incomplete without it. Like it just drifts off...

Except for the fact that the engine for the game is already in place and has been used on the 360 TWICE to great success.

Not in Japan, though. The games aren't bringing in the numbers there, which means the franchises are as good as dead. ;P

Now that Moore is talking about lowering the price, trying to get closer to the magical "$199" and expand their audience (hmm...), maybe there's hope for that. But as it stands, MegaMan would find himself in better company alongside Mario, Sonic, Link, and Samus than he would with Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, and whoever the hell stars in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Now, what would be delightfully interesting and lead to me praising Microsoft as our new god is if they were to fund MegaMan Legends 3 specifically for the wider-demographic purpose, and offer the originals up beforehand on XBox Live Marketplace for download.

As an aside, all-around ironic is that Legends was pretty much created for Sony, as at the time they wanted a next-gen version of the title to be in 3-D, and Legends is what Capcom came up with to accomodate.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Torgo
06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Not in Japan, though. The games aren't bringing in the numbers there, which means the franchises are as good as dead. ;P
You just mean in Japan, right? I mean, I was pretty sure at this point that Dead Rising 2 was more or less a certainty. Not to mention that it and Lost Planet were not designed for the Japanese market in mind in the first place. They were designed specifically for the overseas markets, which is exactly where they have succeeded.

Ample Vigour
10-10-2013, 08:43 AM
So Parish's blog post (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8166087&publicUserId=5379721) on this subject has convinced me to finally play these games. I figure this is as good a time as any to have a thread where everyone can talk about how awesome they are.

Great Kali kills some guy with a hiptoss? Protecting the business. Abdullah blades while carrying hepatitis Z? Protecting the business. Hogan cuckolds a fat dj on tape? Protecting the business.

Protecting the business

Derra
10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Ample you are a cool dude

Why are you killing my hopes and dreams???

Let the dead stay dead.

Excitemike
10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Let's Put Ample On The Moon!

Falselogic
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I really should play these two seeing as I have both of them...

What I'd like to get my hands on is the Misadventures of Tron Bonne but that game is crazy crazy expensive

pointzeroeight
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I really should play these two seeing as I have both of them...

What I'd like to get my hands on is the Misadventures of Tron Bonne but that game is crazy crazy expensive

You and me both.

Kirin
10-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Ironically, Misadventures is the only one of the three I own and have played. Awesome game.

...I'm not really sure I want to know how much I could get for the complete package, since I don't really *want* to sell it.

That Old Chestnut
10-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Ironically, Misadventures is the only one of the three I own and have played. Awesome game.

...I'm not really sure I want to know how much I could get for the complete package, since I don't really *want* to sell it.

Yeah, my copy will have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands, and even then you'd better have a shotgun and some holy water handy.

I used to own the first Legends, too, but I never could get it to load past the second cave. Tried getting the disc resurfaced and everything! Still nothing though, so I got rid of it. After all that hassle, I decided not to mess with Legends anything until I find a copy of Mega Man 64.

Hardly had any trouble at all out of Tron Bonne, though!

BEAT
10-10-2013, 03:04 PM

This is like 5 years old and it made me giggle inappropriately loud in my cubicle.

Wolfgang
10-10-2013, 04:52 PM
remember when mml 3 got canc

Sprite
10-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Misadventures is by far my favorite, but I'd argue that it's actually the most flawed of the three, gameplay-wise. The ransacking missions are fun, and the dungeon is great, but the puzzle missions are just so-so and the RPG sections are awful.

Daikaiju
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Not your A game, Wolfie.

I'm with Kirin and Chestnut. I want others to know the joy but dammit, must I give up mine?

Falselogic
10-10-2013, 05:09 PM
You wouldn't have to if the PSX emulator people could figure out what Capcom did in that game to make it unrunnable...

Elements
10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Why is this thread active? Why are you such a monster, Ample? At least the knife in my heart that is this thread only hurt severely this time instead of utterly destroying me.

Anyways, I don't have any of these games anymore. I had the whole trilogy, but I sent them off to Parish forever ago because I hadn't played them in years. I did actually play through ML1 & 2 through alternative means last year, though. Both still hold up great, though my morale always takes a dive in ML2 during the middle.

That Old Chestnut
10-10-2013, 06:32 PM

huh?

oh yeah! uh BAAAAWWWWWWW

mopinks
10-11-2013, 01:10 AM
You wouldn't have to if the PSX emulator people could figure out what Capcom did in that game to make it unrunnable...

truly the bane of my existence

TK Flash
10-11-2013, 01:38 AM
PURE CONJECTURE:

I used to burn backup copies of my PS1 games before trading them in at Gamestop. So sue me. I was like 13.

Anyway, whenever I burned a Capcom game, it took much, much longer than other discs to burn, like hours longer. Apparently the CDs were filled with dummy blocks and that made them harder to copy. This "protection" worked on me on several occasions, until eventually CD burning programs got better and I stopped having trouble. Even successfully burned copies were more hit-or-miss when trying to get them to work with the modchip.

My best guess based on this experience is that they don't emulate well because of the "copy protection" Capcom had on its PS1 games.

Balrog
10-11-2013, 09:11 AM

I've never messed with PSX emulation (outside of running images on a PSP) and I'm glad you hipped me to this because I was thinking about selling my PSX collection but if I can't play MML2 and MoTB, I'll be screwed. Those games are like virtual antidepressants.

bobbywatson
10-11-2013, 11:43 AM
So what is wrong with emulation Megaman Legends 1/2, exactly? I tried running the first game a few days ago on ePSXe (Android version, on an Ouya of all systems), and it ran fine for the 10 minutes I played of it...

Falselogic
10-11-2013, 11:44 AM
So what is wrong with emulation Megaman Legends 1/2, exactly? I tried running the first game a few days ago on ePSXe (Android version, on an Ouya of all systems), and it ran fine for the 10 minutes I played of it...

I think MML1 mostly works? I was specifically talking about Tron Bonne

rogue
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
MML2 also works fine for an emulator I tried a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to get Misadventures to work though.

I know I also had trouble getting MMX4 to work. I got it to finally work with ePSXe eventually on my laptop but it didn't work great. It works fine on my new computer (which has pretty good specs) but not with Hypercam running (I wanted to do a let's race of the game).

Excitemike
10-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I played Tron Bonne on my phone, it seemed to work OK. I only played it for a few minutes, though.

Wolfgang
10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Not your A game, Wolfie.

I was hoping that someone would remember that I predicted it would be on the first page of the thread that was made for the game, and then it haaaappened and then everyone would be all oh youuuuuuuuu!!!!!~

i'm a bad widdle boy <3

Wolfgang
10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
And it was too bad, too, because I really liked MML 1/2, though I tried playing them again semi-recently and their controls were just too clunkity. Smoother ones on a modern system would be awesome.

Daikaiju
10-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Ah. Mocking our pain to hide your own. I dig.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Great Kali kills some guy with a hiptoss? Protecting the business. Abdullah blades while carrying hepatitis Z? Protecting the business. Hogan cuckolds a fat dj on tape? Protecting the business.

Protecting the business

I totally get what you're saying, I just don't get why you're saying it here.

Anyway, I still have all three of mine, from when they were each first released, if I'm not mistaken. I think MML2 even came with a squishie Servbot toy.

We did have an extra of the first MML, but we traded it to someone for... something. I forget what.

Beyond that? Chalk me up in the "cold, dead hands" crowd.

It's funny: Capcom has used re-releases to throw us a bone so many times, and cut corners in the process, too-- I wonder why they won't do it here? Get a new cast or use subtitles or something, and release all three games on one disc.

Ample Vigour
10-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Ample you are a cool dude

Why are you killing my hopes and dreams???

Let the dead stay dead.

Gonna chalk that up to tapatalk because I never read this thread.