PDA

View Full Version : How did you come up with your internet name/handle/whatever?

poetfox
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I am suddenly wondering how people come up with the names they use for logins and online accounts and such. I just wonder how random it really is. So tell me, how did you pick what you're called on here? Or other places, if they have more interesting stories.

Savathun
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I have no creativity whatsoever.

Healy
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, I was having trouble thinking up a name for the first forum I regitered at, and was trying to think up some ideas. I was really into DQ8 at the time, and combine that with a (then) recent playthrough of DQ4 (really DW4, though), and voila!

(It used to be longer (Healy the Healslime) but I shortened it after joining the Toasty Oekaki.)

shivam
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
normally i use screennames, but here, i just use my real one.

djSyndrome
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
There's this game, with some buttons... (http://www.konami.jp/am/bm/4th/)

TheSL
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
There's this game, with some buttons... (http://www.konami.jp/am/bm/4th/)

I just got 3rd and 4th Mix for the PS1 for a combined total of $7 on eBay.

My user name just comes from 2/3 of my initials + "The."

marcalan
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
LIke others, I have no creativity. It's just my first and middle names squashed together.

R^2
06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
My initials sound like an overenthusiastic pirate or a happy kitten, depending on whether you pronounce "RR" as two syllables or one. R2 is catchier despite being commonly associated with droids, and the ^ comes in because most message boards don't allow names of only two characters.

The ^ silent, despite some people apparently pronouncing it "up", or mashing the whole thing into "Rupples". Sounds more like currency to me.

When R^2 and R2 don't work, I usually go by "intentionallyblank", as in "this space left".

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I have no creativity whatsoever.

What he said.

I've tried handles and nothing ever stuck. It makes me uncomfortable and I feel like I'm pretending to be a character or something. And then I found myself at an age where having a handle just seemed silly. Plus, it's easier to remember.

tungwene
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind I came up with this handle when I was thirteen or some other impossibly young number.

It's a combination of an old nickname and Egwene al' Vere from the Wheel of Time. I've tried unsuccessfully to come up with an unique handle to replace it across the years but nothing stuck and I'm too lazy to care now.

alexb
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
My name is Alex and B is the first letter of my last name. I know. Isn't it crazy?

estragon
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I like Samuel Beckett.

sraymonds
06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Shane Raymonds is the name of the main character in the stories I'm trying to write. I need to change his name for the kids' book I'm working on, since he's now a monkey cop.

poetfox
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Heh, quite a lot of people using their real names. Which, you know, go team.

Mine, I dunno, back in the day I did the Yahoo Chat thing, and all my names were really long descriptive things that I changed all the time. But eventually I found I just needed something, you know, to be static. So, at the time, I wrote alot of poetry (I write more personal essays than poems nowadays... then again, I don't write much in general, but when I do, essays...) and I was and still am a fox (well, 3/4ths fox, but I'm sure nobody wants to hear the specifics of the fake species I am) and so poetfox was created. And I've stuck with it since, and at this point I probably associate more with poetfox than the name I was born with, which is kinda weird I guess, but then again the name I was born with denotes the wrong gender, so...

Bleh, I am such a rambler.

Vahn16
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh, the shame.

My first real RPG was Legend of Legaia on the PS1. Back in the day, I loved it so much that I started using the main character's name for every other game I played. That just sort of stuck, and I still use it, but with numbers for some reason.

Please don't kill me. I wasn't l33t back in the SNES era. Things just happened.

Makkara
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I was about seventeen, I reckon. All the cool kids had handles, so of course I wanted one too. Being a fan of Japanese television games and television cartoons, I picked a cool sounding word from the dictionary at the back of my Japanese textbook.

Vahn16
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
So, what's it mean?

Kishi
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Nihon wa daisuki yo desu ne wai! ^_^;;

Sarcasmorator
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I'd like to say I was clever enough to have combined sarcasm + orator on purpose.

But no. I'd seen "Orgazmo" a few months before picking a screen name for another forum years back (I thought "Orgazmorator" was a funny word. I was 21. SHUT UP.). Didn't realize that I'd come up with a word combo until after the fact! I are didit by accidental!

But I liked the handle, and kept it anyway. It's the only name I use online, except for MMOs. In MMOs I'm usually Arbogast of some variant thereof.

Twelve years or so ago, on AOL, I went by Mud Pepper. Yes! After the "Secret of Evermore" alchemy ingredient. It was the most recent game I'd gotten and I'd never made a screen name before.

poetfox
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh, the shame.

My first real RPG was Legend of Legaia on the PS1. Back in the day, I loved it so much that I started using the main character's name for every other game I played. That just sort of stuck, and I still use it, but with numbers for some reason.

Please don't kill me. I wasn't l33t back in the SNES era. Things just happened.
From that game, one of my go-to names for female characters is Noa, so I wouldn't feel too bad. Either that, or I should feel bad with you. (Other common choices are Arlressy, and, well, my name. Alexis. Also Iri. And I tend to name any assassin-type character I play Lily.)

Savathun
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
, but then again the name I was born with denotes the wrong gender, so...

That's always fun, yeah. I can never decide if I should just go with Brandon or Maggie. Usually just this to avoid confusion.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/achewood2002.gif

Tomm Guycot
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
When Parish started Talking Time, he had pictures up of Billy "Big Bang" Blitz and Tom Guycot.

I knew what I had to do. I clicked "Register."

Since then, Guycot has become my actual last name.

My first screenname, "Kupan" is from the original localization of FF6.

I use "Ingram" for MGO because Ingram is the main character in Policenauts.

Those are all the names you need to know.

Makkara
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
So, what's it mean?

Jet black or pitch black. I think I was also in my black metal phase, so there was a whole synergy there.

Nihon wa daisuki yo desu ne wai! ^_^;;

Yeah, you're one to talk, mr. Knight.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
No, that was my explanation. It was a dig against me, not Makkuro.

Makkara
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Let's agree that we're both big dorks, OK?

Torgo
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
My previous moniker was looking pretty long in the tooth about five years ago. So I was sitting, trying to think of something else, and Torgo, quite possibly the best character to ever appear on an MST, came to mind.

In a lot of places I've actually signed up as 'I am Torgo', and more lately I've added a last name with 'Torgo Higgins'. (Because I long since figured that if he had a last name, it would totally be Higgins.)

Savathun
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Higgins is the Master's name.

philliam
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Philliam is like Phillip only fancier. Now I'm going to go eat a crumpet whilst I fart.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Higgins is totally a name for one of those safari caddies you see in Far Side cartoons and Roosevelt/Hemingway parodies.

"Higgins! Quickly--the elephant gun!"

Sprite
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I haven't changed my screenname since Junior High, when I discovered Yahoo Chat. I really liked Secret of Mana, so that's where the "Sprite" part comes from. The "Lil" and "X" parts come from being in Junior High.

R^2
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah. I was tempted briefly to register my name for Talking Time as PandaR^2, in another Clash at Demonhead reference. I didn't because I figured the novelty would wear off before Talking Time went belly-up.

I didn't expect TT to go belly-up so soon, but you see where I'm coming from.

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Back when I was in late eighth/early ninth grade or so, my best friend Max and I had conconcted a whole scenario where hedgehogs were not the roadkill most people know them as but were actually prickly-furry pseudo-mammalia from an alternate dimension resembling Topeka. They were originally discovered by a viking named Helmüt Vernsvager in the 13th century. Their aims were to take over the world by toying with people minds. Sometimes they toyed so much that they broke them.

In the midst of building up this world view, I had a dream one night where I was helping He-Man defeat the master of evil. The evil one (like any good evil overlord) would leave clues and riddles around as to how to defeat him. It started out as an arcade game, but upon beating that, a skull popped out of the game with a new riddle to solve. He-Man and I had to use only the materials available to us in the drug store we were in. We eventually figured out the skull puzzle (we had to smash it through a glass window) and the skull turned into a pair of shoes and we faced the first shoe puzzle. The solution to that was to fills the shoes with petroleum jelly and set them on fire. After doing that, we faced the second shoe puzzle. This time the shoes (sneakers I believe) were pointed up toward the ceiling instead of laying on the floor. He-Man and I puzzled the latest riddle for awhile, but were stumped. FOX television saw an opportunity and decided to create a contest out of figuring out what to do with the shoes. They set up suggestion boxes in every major city where they had an affiliate with replicas of the shoes on them and the riddle. Cut to the boardroom with FOX executives discussing the success of the shoe riddle puzzle and how to better promote it. They had a replica of the shoes on the boardroom table. Suddenly, the shoes dropped flat on the table and a red hedgehog shot out of them. Using the power of its mind, the red hedgehog began slowly and subtlely killing the members of the boardroom. Cut then to a city with a shoe suggestion box and the same thing happened, the shoes fell horizontal and a red hedgehog came out and killed people with its mind in that city. This happened all over the country.

After that dream, my 13 year-old mind associated significant importance to red hedgehogs. I named my hard drive after one, and when I started getting involved in BBSes and the internet I used Red Hedgehog as my handle. And I have ever since.

Many people think (especially those in video game forums) think that Red Hedgehog has something to do with Sonic. While Max and I eventually incorporated Sonic into our mythos (he was sent by the hedgehogs to be an emissary and ease the transition from human to hedgehog rule, but the fame went to his head and he became more obsessed with being like than with diplomacy and so the hedgehogs no longer associate with him), he wasn't, as far as I know, an inspiration for it. He certainly wasn't for me although Max did have a Genesis.

Sheana
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
It's my name.

I win for succinctness.

Mightyblue
06-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Forums/Sites: Mightyblue...from the Mighty Blue Bomber...yeah, always been a Megaman nut.

Gaming: Ionspark/Flying Circus; The first is the result of a brainstorming session back in high school when I got Live to play Halo 2 online. I think I was one of the few people who didn't have some kind of number in their names. Flying Circus is from Monty Python, I used to go by that back in my HL mod days.

Torgo
06-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Higgins is the Master's name.

Higgins is totally a name for one of those safari caddies you see in Far Side cartoons and Roosevelt/Hemingway parodies.

"Higgins! Quickly--the elephant gun!"

It is indeed those things too.

(The idea that Master Higgins = The Master from Manos is an entertaining one. As a fan of both Adventure Island and MST I can't believe this never came to me before.)

sraymonds
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
It is indeed those things too.

(The idea that Master Higgins = The Master from Manos is an entertaining one. As a fan of both Adventure Island and MST I can't believe this never came to me before.)
Higgins is also Thomas Magnum's sidekick.

Guy
06-04-2007, 05:00 PM
My friends started calling me Guy for no reason one day. It's been my new name ever since. Many of them have actually forgotten what my real name is by now.

BEAT
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
You know the guy on the cover of jet grind radio? The guy who isn't wearing the totally rediculous blue getup?

Yeah. Real freaking creative, I know.

openedsource
06-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Philliam is like Phillip only fancier. Now I'm going to go eat a crumpet whilst I fart.

Sophisticated men and ladies flatulate.

Openedsource is the name of a domain/site that I've had for the longest time - I took the nick on a technical forum I used to frequent to tie the two identities together, and it's just kind of stuck. Now I use it as a consistent online identity so as to make it that much easier for Google et al to track me all over the place everywhere on the internet.

Before that (and sometimes parallel to) you'll see CNO pop up, which is a sort of amalgamation of my initials that rolls much easier off the tongue than my actual initials (leaden with consonants as it is).

But despite all that, I've never really referred to myself in the third person by a forum nick, and I've never shied away from using my actual name in online conversations.

Dhroo
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I also use my real name, except I spell it sort of phonetically, with an "h" in there for some reason.

I've never come up with an online nick that I liked or one that actually stuck.

Guy
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Really, Dhroo? I always thought it was supposed to be that weird sound the Whelk made at the beginning of Final Fantasy VI. It might not have been Whelk, but I could have sworn some enemy said "dhrooooo..."

shivam
06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
well, dhroo spelled like that is a not uncommon north indian name.

VsRobot
06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
A long time ago, I saw a funny music video by Superstar James Kolchaka called Monkey Versus Robot. I quickly made an AIM name, LeviVsRobot (Levi is my first name, and I fucking fight some robots).

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/levivsrobot4lw.gif

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QsCXm1vrk)

Trent Dole
06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Read this and be enlightened. (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp990915.htm) I'm a ninnie with a sense of humor and was sick of my old name, so yeah.

Caithness
06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I somehow ended up in a 10th grade English Literature class where all the assignments were brain-dead easy. I found myself with a lot of time on my hands during this class period. One day I decided to start at the beginning and read every story in the textbook, seeing how far I could get by the end of the semester, only reading during English class. One of the stories included was Shakespeare's Macbeth. A very minor character in Macbeth is called Caithness. He has like two lines in the whole play. I saw the name and thought, "that is such an awesome name."

Only after I started using it as my screen name did I find out that there's still a geographical region in Scotland called Caithness. Strangers on AOL would IM me and ask me if I was from there.

I did end up making it to the end of the textbook.

Squall
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Mine comes from a video game.... Specifically, Quake 2.

My first online (Campus LAN) FPS multi experience was Q2 back in Fall '99, and I totally needed a screen name other than 'Player.' There just happened to be a totally badass Evangelion Unit-01 skin, so I used the name Shinji.

The first time the Q2 players met in person at lunch one day, I was called 'Shinji' in person. Naturally, my unlimited hatred of Evangelion kicked in and I had to work quickly before the name settled in. The horror! At the time, FF8 was just about to come out, and all my friends back home were playing through the Japanese version. Apparently, Squall was nothing but a carbon copy of me back then, personality, dress code, hair, etc etc. So, I plugged in that as my new user name, and it stuck ever since. Ironically, the true horror came after I played through FF8 and realized how much I hated everything about the game, whereas I am merely severly annoyed by Evangelion.

Almost no one at school knew my real name, everyone just introduced me as 'Squall.' I thought it was cool, but I don't associate the name with FF8 anymore. On the one hand it would be nice to have a name that's in no way associated with a game I hate. But, again, most my friends actually call me Squall instead of my real name, so that would cause all kinds of problems.

Savathun
06-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Maybe I should've kept my username from my Unreal Tournament days. Then again, maybe not. I was new to the internet back then and chose the unwise name of "Pie," short for "Pie'oh'pah" from Clive Barker's Imajica. But apostrophes don't show up in the chatrooms, so it was just Pie.

Of course, I have since learned that "pie" is, in fact, code for something else. Probably would've been great to know at the time.

Squall
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
You could change it to 'Pai' for that 3x3 Eyes groove, but that might be a bit girly. But seriously, if you were going with something girly, you really can't beat a 3x3 Eyes reference. Although Yakimo would definitely be much cooler (post-Tibet Yakimo, obviously).

Or, hell, Kaiyanwang. Sure he doesn't show up all that often, but man, it's so much fun to shout his name!

mr_bungle700
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Mr. Bungle is one of my favorite bands.

The first site I registered with didn't allow spaces in screen names.

There were already other mr_bungles registered, so the site recommended mr_bungle100 instead.

7 is my favorite number.

I am boring and always use the same screen name for everything (except when I don't and use electricmole700* instead).

I hope that the wild insanity of this story did not cause you physical or emotional distress.

(*Electric Mole is the name of one of the greatest concert videos of all time.)

Mister Toups
06-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Toups is my name.

chocogaz
06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
The long version is Chocobo Gazamgorthlardpuppy.

Gazamgorthpuppy was decided when I wanted a nickname that was long and complicated-sounding, and had the words "lardpuppy" in it. It was later shortened to "Gaz" a reference to a toad in Super Mario RPG. I think the one playing the gameboy.

Chocobo was added later in a Sailor Moon play by email RPG. I'm not sure why. So the name was re-shortened to chocogaz. Kinda stuck since then.

RAC
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
RAC are my initials- if anybody cares I pronounce them individually rather than as something you'd store your coriander on. This is the first board I've ever visited where I wasn't the only person or one of two so boringly named.

mr_bungle700
06-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Toups is my name.

"They call me Mister Toups!"

Mightyblue
06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
"They call me Mister Toups!"That's Toups-san to you buster.

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Mine's from Breath of Fire 3; if you didn't know, one of the characters (Rei), always says "Don't that beat all?"

And there we go. I've had it for 8 years now.

Mightyblue
06-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Okay. I R Stupid. Associated naming choice with avatar choice. Need sleep.

Coinspinner
06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Who holds Coinspinner knows good odds
Whichever move he make
But the Sword of Chance, to please the gods
Slips from him like a snake.

Coinspinner is one of the twelve swords of power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Swords_of_Power#Coinspinner) from the Books of Swords novels. The swords confer absolute powers of some sort or another. Whoever carries Coinspinner has unbelievable good luck. The holder might stand in a land slide confident not only in surviving without a scratch, but probably in also benefiting from the experience in some way. The sword's power toys with probability, people and the universe, always to it's holder's benefit but seemingly with a mind and even a sense of humor of it's own. Which is it's flaw. It will vanish of it's own accord, generally at a most inconvenient moment for the person who'd been carrying it, and perhaps into the hands of the most inconvenient person for the poor guy who just lost it. While the other swords are swords are just objects, Coinspinner is pretty much a character.

As for the books, they read a bit like superhero comics or shonen manga in novel form. They might be unique in that the author doesn't give a damn about cannon and encourages fan fiction.

NoKidding
06-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm just a real serious kind of guy.

Chu
06-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Red Hedgehog's epic story made me want to write a creative story revolving around how I acquired my screen/pen name, but... nah.

Years and years ago, I lurked around a Pokémon forum. I was notorious for really liking Raichu; it's still my favorite Pokémon. That's how I got nicknamed "The Chu" by internet friends. "Chu" (without the "The", because it's more humble that way) stuck so firmly that sometimes my friends in real life call me that instead of my real name.

I guess it's just fun to say? I don't even look Chinese.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-05-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm so dependant on Evil Dead I've been known to rob old ladies to pay for my fix.

Thinaran
06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
"They call me Mister Toups!"That is a great movie.

Mine is horribly lame, and I apologize in advance.

It's from the best AD&D roleplaying campaign I played with my friends. I couldn't come up with a name for my elf rogue character, so I input my own name into an elf name generator somewhere on the web, and Thinaran was the result. I really liked the name, and the character ended up living through almost the entire campaign two year, but was killed in the final confrontation with the main bad guy because I kept almost missing him with the elf slayer arrow (one number on the die too short three times in a row!). If only our egotistical wizard had used the Bless spell on our group like he was supposed to, Thinaran would have survived. :(

I still give that guy crap about it to this day.

R^2
06-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Wizards don't cast Bless. It's a divine spell. Yell at your Cleric.

Thinaran
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
The spell was on an item.

Balrog
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I like Balrog from Cave Story and I'm not too crazy about the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. Kinda hate the name now. I'll probably go with something that sounds like a Metal Gear/Mega Man X boss next time, something like Grenadier Panda.

Torgo
06-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Kinda hate the name now.
That being the case, the synergy your avatar provides is impressive.

nadia
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Well Nadia's my actual name, holy shit, but I would like to point out my custom title is actually my very first online nickname. I used it on my high school's First Class BBS way back in 1994. Ahaha!

Loki
06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
You all know Loki. Norse God of trickery. Gave birth to an eight legged horse. That guy. I picked the name on a whim 8 years or so ago and it STUCK.

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Red Hedgehog's epic story made me want to write a creative story revolving around how I acquired my screen/pen name, but... nah.

I'm just happy that someone read all that. I figured most people saw it and went tl;dr.

jeditanuki
06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Two things I like, stuck together. Essentially my only online name since around way back forever.

Stephen
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I kidnapped a guy named Stephen and assumed his identity.

jovewolf
06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Back when Hotmail was still kinda new (and not associated with Microsoft) I decided I rather needed an email address. Since I wasn't too fond of numbers in my name, I tried hard to come up with a name that wouldn't have already been used. I had been reading Twelfth Night or something Shakespearean at least in my English class at the time, and Jove came up in there, and I added on wolf as my friend had a picture of one near his computer which I was borrowing, so that's my name.

If I was clever, I probably should have added "by" to the beginning of it.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
So I needed a name to play MGS3 Subsistence online with, and Calorie Mate made me laugh. When I needed something for this board, that was the first thing to pop into my mind, and since I'm everybody's favorite poster, I kept it when I reregistered.

I really need to get a new screen name, though. I hate the one I have now.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Random names put together. Mostly.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I was listening to the FFX soundtrack when I made this one though.

MarsDragon
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Mars from Sailor Mars.

Dragon from the mythological beast.

Smushed together with camel-case because I thought it looked cool.

I came up with it back in elementary school, probably, since I had pretty much out-grown Sailor Moon and dragons by jr high. The name suck because I was too lazy to change and now that I've had it for about a decade it would feel really weird to get rid of it. It's not really so bad if you don't know the origin, and it tends to make people think I'm male, which is helpful around a lot of the internet.

Savathun
06-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I've never actually grown out of Sailor Moon...

Sanagi
06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Back in the SNES days I made a list of cool names, sorted by number of letters, so I wouldn't get stuck at "enter name" screens trying to think of something. One of my sources for names was a Japanese dictionary, and "sanagi" came from that - it means "chrysalis." Over time I became particularly attached to the name, and I use it in games like Zelda that have player-identified main characters. When I started using e-mail and message boards it was the obvious choice, and only once have I ever been unable to register at a website using the name due to someone taking it already. That site... was 1up.com.

R^2
06-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Sanaaaaa Antagiii!

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
...and since I'm everybody's favorite poster...
LOL

Little Sampson
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I enjoy fun NES games no one has heard of. Unless they listen to Retronauts.

Calorie Mate
06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
LOL

<3

Lumber Baron
06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I lived in Portland, Oregon for five years and on my last day I had a picnic up in the hills on the west side of town next to the mansion of Portland's preeminent, turn-of-the-century lumber baron. I thought lumber baron was the coolest job title ever.

Lumber Baron is actually my default second choice when it comes to screen names. I prefer to go by El Cid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cid), but that name's more likely to be taken up in any given online community, largely dependant on how many Spaniards there are.

juanfrugalj
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Juan Frugal is a recurring character from some of my incomplete short stories. I just didn't think Teófilo Márquez (the main character in said stories), would be as catchy, or easy to pronounce in foreign countries.

I prefer to go by El Cid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cid), but that name's more likely to be taken up in any given online community, largely dependant on how many Spaniards there are.
Yes, "El Cid" is quite popular.

doc_marten_abortion
06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Just a mental image involving a boot and a pregnant belly, followed by the proud ex-father-to-be shouting, "18 years of vacations without ferris wheels, coming up!"

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a mental image that you have really good taste in your real life to make up for your poor taste in internets. Karma, and all that.

doc_marten_abortion
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh, get over it. What's the internet without a little insensitivity? Irony comes in poor taste, sir.

bobservo
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Marrying my real name to MST3K. The sad thing is that I've had this online nickname for a decade, and apparently no one else has; so one Google search can reveal an entire decade of sordid Internet activity.

nadia
06-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh, get over it. What's the internet without a little insensitivity? Irony comes in poor taste, sir.

I will admit to lol'ing, even though I like ferris wheels.

bobservo
06-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Abortion jokes are just an extention of our god-given right to abort.

USA!
USA!

Niku
06-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Niku is Japanese for meat. It came part and parcel with the avatar I chose to go with the name. For an example of such, google "Waita Uziga" and thank me later.

gamin
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
It's literally gaming, but without the g at the end, so it would fit in some old random site's character limit. And then it just sort of stuck. Then years later I found out its a French word meaning street urchin. And so I decided its a true keeper. However, its also sort of common, so on some sites I have to attach numbers to it.

mr_bungle700
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Niku is Japanese for meat. It came part and parcel with the avatar I chose to go with the name. For an example of such, google "Waita Uziga" and thank me later.

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

NO.

Makkara
06-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I looked up the Wikipedia article on Uziga and found his in the list of his works:

"Miko to Yajuu (巫女と野獣) - 8/26/2006; A story about a giant demon panda bear and the shrine maidens who must fight it."

Awesome!

djSyndrome
06-09-2007, 06:48 PM

And being a perennial douchebag never gets old, right?

Don't breed.

VsRobot
06-10-2007, 02:08 AM
If you can't laugh at a pregnant woman getting kicked in the stomach by a jackbooted thug, what can you laugh at? Isn't that the premise of nearly every episode of Friends?

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 06:40 AM

Jesus, and I thought my handle inspired graphic imagery.... kudos

Daikaiju
06-10-2007, 06:57 AM
When I went online, I was reading a lot of G-Fan, which was (and still is) published by Daikaiju Press. I used to capitalize the k, but figured that was a bit pretentious. I've stuck with it since. Odds are if you see a post by Daikaiju, with a Takua avatar, it's me.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Long story that I'm not particularly convinced anyone would be interested enough in reading without posting tl;dr.

If anyone actually IS interested, I'll spill. But the bottom line of it is that I sort of got it from my then-future wife.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

nadia
06-10-2007, 03:19 PM
But the bottom line of it is that I sort of got it from my then-future wife.

I deny everything.

Savathun
06-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I always figured Nytetrayn was like the sequel to Soul Plane, only with vampires.

But I'm kind of stupid.

alexb
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Oh! I get it now. I always read it "Ne-te-tra-yn." Like he was Thai or something. Okay. That's easier to pronounce.

shivam
06-10-2007, 07:13 PM
i'm more curious about the LBD part.

alexb
06-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Little black dress, right?

Peach
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I hope you're not going to use the internet to find my address and kill me, but my real name is Per (it's Norwegian and sounds pretty much like the fruit), so everyone thinks they're ten kinds of clever when they call me Peach (they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a fruit that starts with a different letter), so preemptively foiling their shenanigans - and displaying disturbing early symptoms of hipster irony - I adopted the name as my own.

openedsource
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I always figured Nytetrayn was like the sequel to Soul Plane, only with vampires.

"Nytetrayn! The longest-running, first-run, nationally-syndicated forum nick in internet history."

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-10-2007, 08:39 PM
That would be awesome.

Anyway, let's see.

A character in one of Nadia's earlier writings (from which her title comes) was "Red Draco," and I dug that and the whole Mechadrake thing, and created "Black Draco" (named with her permission).

I guess it was after she and I became something of an item that I matched her "Lady" prefix with "Lord."

She decided to include my character in her stories, but since some people can't tell the difference between a "Red Draco" and a "Black Draco" (it's true, the times we've been mistaken for one-another by screen name alone, I can't even count), we looked at another possibility.

I went with a reimagined spelling of "Night Train," a song by a band we both liked, Guns 'n Roses.

That's right. Before Mega Man X5, I created the original GNR-themed Reploid name. And so I laughed my ass off many a time at Capcom going in a similar direction.

Anyway, to keep things in a sort of perspective, I often went for the longest time as 'Lord Black "Nytetrayn" Draco.'

That got a little tiring to type, and watching wrestling of all things at the time, with its three-letter acronyms (I imagine gaming helped as well), I shortened one part to LBD, with "Nytetrayn" after it. It worked well, as many friends know and refer to me as BD anyway, so.

And I've kept it running to this day, as it's pretty much become a part of my identity online.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Squall
06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds like something from a larp, lol.

VsRobot
06-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Did anyone watch that Monkey vs Robot video?

Bueller?

Squall
06-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Who didn't watch that video? I mean, back when it was still fresh and cool and all that.

thomp538
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
thomp538 was my login name for the first real adult job I ever had, a computer support tech for the San Diego school district. Thomp is the first 5 letters of my last name and 538 was our department code. Fun abounds.

VsRobot
06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Your truncated username makes me think it's Joanna Newsom Vs. Robot, which would be at least as awesome.

Yes, she has joined me in my epic struggle against the robot horde.

nadia
06-12-2007, 03:54 AM
That would be awesome.

Anyway, let's see(...)

tl;dr

R^2
06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
tl;dr
Lord Black Draco hoisted on own petard, check.

Excitemike
06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
And I've kept it running to this day, as it's pretty much become a part of my identity online.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well, I definately remember the name. I'm just not sure wher I remember it from. Did you ever frequent Alt.Toys.Transformers by any chance? Or hang out in #WiiGii?

yakkotank
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, I definately remember the name. I'm just not sure wher I remember it from. Did you ever frequent Alt.Toys.Transformers by any chance? Or hang out in #WiiGii?

I did.

And I'm 99% he did, too.

Excitemike
06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Oh, man. Is Zobovor here, too? ; )

juanfrugalj
06-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Well Nadia's my actual name, holy shit, but I would like to point out my custom title is actually my very first online nickname. I used it on my high school's First Class BBS way back in 1994. Ahaha!

*clears throat*
I resort to typing between asterisks because I do not know the English onomatopoeia for throat-clearing*, but anyway...

It seems logical to assume that you're the same Nadia that writes for 1UP. If you are, I want to tell you that it is my newest unfulfilled wish to marry you, just so my kids could get your absolutely fabulous surname.

Please don't think of me as a weirdo for this (which I am, but for entirely different reasons). In case you're a different Nadia, uh... just pretend you didn't read this embarrassing post.

*Nor the one in Spanish, for that matter. I'm not sure there is such a thing.

thomp538
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
*clears throat*
I resort to typing between asterisks because I do not know the English onomatopoeia for throat-clearing*, but anyway...
'ahem', perhaps

EDIT: and get in line

nadia
06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Awww, I blush. It is kind of a neat surname to have, especially if you're a writer. My maiden name (Eisner) also works, but everyone thinks I'm related to Michael Eisner.

But none can properly pronounce my middle name: Ethyne.

alexb
06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Like the gas?

nadia
06-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Possibly! How do you pronounce it?

juanfrugalj
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM
'ahem', perhaps
Curses!

But thanks.

Awww, I blush. It is kind of a neat surname to have, especially if you're a writer. My maiden name (Eisner) also works, but everyone thinks I'm related to Michael Eisner.

It appears the position has already been filled. Well, it was a long shot anyway.

By the way, Eisner? You were blessed.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
*clears throat*

It seems logical to assume that you're the same Nadia that writes for 1UP. If you are, I want to tell you that it is my newest unfulfilled wish to marry you, just so my kids could get your absolutely fabulous surname.

Please don't think of me as a weirdo for this (which I am, but for entirely different reasons). In case you're a different Nadia, uh... just pretend you didn't read this embarrassing post.

*Nor the one in Spanish, for that matter. I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Hmm, slight flaw in your plan there, chief. Any guesses as to what? :cool:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/LBDNytetrayn/1121412562849.jpg

...sorry, just HAD to use that one. ;)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

alexb
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Possibly! How do you pronounce it?

Ethane. 'e-"thAn

ericmushroomwilson
06-13-2007, 07:34 AM
The story of my name: I took a first name, then added a second name, then made the middle name a word that isn't a name. Yeah, I'm really that boring.

VsRobot
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Hmm, slight flaw in your plan there, chief. Any guesses as to what?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Move to Utah, and his plan is flawless.

--LVI "VsRobot"

ShakeWell
06-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I read it off of a can of Minute Maid pink lemonade. It instructed to "Shake Well Before Enjoying." Well, that's a wee-bit too long, so I shortened it to ShakeWell. I realize that there could be a vaguely sexual interpretation there, but that wasn't my intention. It has more to do with "shaking things up" (always keep 'em guessing, I always say), than "give me a handjob." I'm not, like, a frat boy or anything. (I'm more of a Generic Dude.)

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
...they have polygamy in Utah?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

alexb
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
You didn't know? Or am I missing the sarcasm?

R^2
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Polygamy is illegal in Utah (as anywhere else) and hasn't been a part of the Church of Latter-Day Saints for decades. How much it still continues in that state depends on who you ask.

Polygamy: Too many wives. Monogomy: Same thing.

nadia
06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Ethane. 'e-"thAn

Nope, that ain't it. It's Eth-nee.

The guy who invented the Irish language was like, "Let's make a language where words sound nothing like they're spelled!"

And then everyone drank heavily.

alexb
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Are you positive that was the order it took place in?

Red Hedgehog
06-13-2007, 03:48 PM

And in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado. Basically in rural Western areas near Utah, offshoots of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) still practice polygamy even though the official church hasn't accepted the practice since the late 1800s (basically they had to drop it so that Utah could gain statehood). The small extremist sects that still practice plural marriage are generally exploitative of the young (~14 year old) women that enter into polygamous marriage, harsh and threatening toward boys not from privelaged families that might take potential wives away from those in power, and prosecuted when possible by the Utah attorney general (and often those of surrounding states).

sraymonds
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, Nadia's having to fight these suitors off with a stick.

alexb
06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
She's have more free time if she'd just start using modern weapons.

openedsource
06-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Are you positive that was the order it took place in?

Well she started from the point that the language was invented. it's just assumed that everyone was drinking heavily before that as well.

Caithness
06-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Technically, I think juanfrugal's plan would be termed Polyandry.

juanfrugalj
06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Hmm, slight flaw in your plan there, chief. Any guesses as to what? :cool:
--LBD "Nytetrayn"
Yes, I noticed.

Nope, that ain't it. It's Eth-nee.

The guy who invented the Irish language was like, "Let's make a language where words sound nothing like they're spelled!"

And then everyone drank heavily.

One could say the same about English, but involving tea instead of alcohol.

Technically, I think Makkuro's plan would be termed Polyandry.

That would be awkward.

nadia
06-13-2007, 08:02 PM
One could say the same about English, but involving tea instead of alcohol.

And croquet in lieu of drunken brawling.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Now I know.

And knowing is half of planning my vacation.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Kate or Die!
06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
My name was created solely to embarrass M.Nicolai. He called it "the internet equivalent of wearing matching outfits."

Excitemike
06-14-2007, 07:29 PM
The lady is totally riding my coattails.

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Is that what you crazy kids are calling it nowadays?

mr_bungle700
06-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Now I want to change my handle to "R.Nicolai."

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I considered changing my name to "Em Nicolai".

Squall
06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Maybe I should change to E.Colai?

Lady
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
"Lady" was how kishi and monda referred to me on AIM in the brief period where he and I were smitten with one another, but not actually dating, and it's really grown on me since!
*casts Arise*

Aquadeo
01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
But none can properly pronounce my middle name: Ethyne.

I'd pronounce it "acetylene", myself.

You know, "Acetylene Oxford" doesn't sound bad at all... if you're a bank robber in a steampunk novel.

juanfrugalj
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Juan Frugal is a recurring character from some of my incomplete short stories. I just didn't think Teófilo Márquez (the main character in said stories), would be as catchy, or easy to pronounce in foreign countries.

Oh, the final J was a typo. I think I held a poll or something, asking whether I should change it back (from Talking Time 1.0).

It was agreed that it fits the spirit of corny anime naming customs (Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon R, Slayers Try), and my Talking Time 2.0 account should be named accordingly:

juanfrugalj

And the rest is history.

Pajaro Pete
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I am literally a turnip in real life.

Brickroad
01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
EarthBound.

(But no one tell Peanut; she thinks it's from Wizard of Oz.)

Garrison
01-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Garrison is my last name. What, I wasn't always Garrison around here? Madness.

Rascally Badger
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
From these lyrics. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrPyYrpsSOE&feature=related)

Wolfgang
01-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I DONT KNOOOOO

Aquadeo
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Mercury testing for the Environment Saskatchewan Quality and Analysis Database at Aquadeo Beach.

Or, Aquadeo M. Esquadat. Simple!

DemoWeasel
01-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Demolition + Weasel = DemoWeasel

Elements
01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
I could've sworn I posted this before... Do we have a similar thread floating about somewhere? Anyways...

My older brothers were really into one of those wrestling games for the N64, and they and all their friends had made all their custom characters named after religious figures spelled silly ways, like, G0D, jeezuz, and such. One of my brothers pestered me relentlessly to make a character on it, so I conceded, and made PaGaN, to go with the theme. He asked me to remake him in a sequel, which allowed for long and short names, so I extended it to PaGaN eLeMeN+s or somesuch.

I was just thinking of "pagan" as non-standard religion rather than any specific beliefs, and thought it set him nicely opposed to the rest of the custom chars, but in the sequel, I was thinking of it as referring to a non-standard element, like ether? I'd always used the names of characters of mine for my internet handles, so I eventually took up p4g4n 3l3m3nt5 as my official internet name, as I certainly saw no other use for the name.

The 1337 of it is kinda' bleh, I know, and the origin embarrassing, but I've been using it for at least a decade now, so it's not changing. Here, stare at my hideous banner I made years ago for a website:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab358/p4g4n3l3m3nt5/pagan.jpg

Wolfgang
01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
The 1337 of it is kinda' bleh, I know

Very much so. This could have been your chance to reinvent yourself and you blew it. Just right out the window. As it is, whenever I see you post I read it as "pagaggamaggle".

Googleshng
01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
The first time my cousin and I were ever allowed to stay up past midnight was new year's eve uh... whatever year it was Bubble Bobble came out. We were up all night fighting freaking Super Drunk, sleep deprivation set in, and we decided to make up some crazy code language, complete with grammatical rules and verb tenses and all that. When I first got an internet connection, I used a 9-character-limit variation of it (as was the style at the time) specifically because I figured "Jake Alley" HAS to be a common enough name it'll already be taken, but Googleshng is random gibberish, and you can use Google for short, which is really catchy and still won't ever come up except when people can't spell googol.

... Have I explained this before here? I feel like I have.

Ethan
01-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Squid Brand is a fish sauce from Thailand. It was a staple of my kitchen in the States and it will be once again when I return. (In Vietnam I buy the local stuff instead.)

estragon
01-05-2011, 02:02 AM
As it is, whenever I see you post I think you are a bot selling WoW gold, think of Idle Thumbs, and laugh.

Alixsar
01-05-2011, 02:58 AM
I could've sworn I posted this before... Do we have a similar thread floating about somewhere? Anyways...

We did at one point, because I know I've said this before in another thread. But this thread is old. If you go back far enough, there's even Philliam and Brandon! And a whole different generation of lurkers! Hell, I wasn't even here yet. A simpler time, to be sure.

Anyway, Alex R. = Alixsar. It's the best name ever.

Octopus Prime
01-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally I was Octopus Beta, until the fateful day when I fought and defeated the leader of my tribe, and along with his kingdom... I took his name.

Or I like Transformers and noticed that Octopus rhymes with Optimus.

Javex
01-05-2011, 03:44 AM
THE WHITE TEXT!

B-buh...but....

Octopus Prime
01-05-2011, 04:02 AM
B-buh...but....

You have seen too much!

BEAT
01-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Octopus prime is actually the original octopus. The template from which all other octopi were wrought.

My name is Beat because it's an awesome name, and I'm awesome. I've actually been meaning to PM one of our mod dudes to change it to "BEAT" so I can be even more awesome. The only reason I hesitate is because the world might not yet be ready.

Also Jet Set Radio. Because Jet Set Radio is awesome.

Nicholai
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
It's, like, my real name.

Willm
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
My real name is boring but the name Willm has popped up throughout my life. In high school I played with a bunch of other Matts and my coach called me Willm (mainly because he was too lazy to say Williams) and my generated user name in both college and at work are some variation of Willm.

Thus, Willm!

Comb Stranger
01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
The most beautiful man in the wooooooorld. (http://flapjack.wikia.com/wiki/Tee_Hee_Tummy_Tums)

Paul le Fou
01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
It is a reference to a French New Wave film (read: an episode of cowboy bebop and I've never seen the actual movie) into which I have inserted my own name. It is screen-namey and includes my real name and even has a meaning, and as such I will use it forever. I have been credited in a movie as Paul le Fou because people who don't know me have thought it is my real name. It is not, and those people are silly

Dizzy
01-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I think it is time for you to see the movie, courtesy of YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uksEgP_1RmU).

Ted
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I could've sworn I posted this before... Do we have a similar thread floating about somewhere?

I explained my username (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=908438&postcount=85) in the Say What? How to pronounce your user name (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10943) thread, so maybe you're in there, too.

Glass Knuckle
01-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Whenever I'm given the opportunity to customize a character in an action game, I always go for attack and speed above all else. In fighting games, I pick the guy with the quickest attacks and get right up in your face. I went by Glass Cannon for a while since I like the term and it seemed to fit, but it wasn't QUITE right and was likely to be taken. I switched over to this since it fits a little better and I like the way the word Glass sounds as a name when people shorten it.

Giving a nod to Iron Knuckles is just a bonus.

McDohl
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I like Suikoden. I have for a very long time. Derp.

Really, I should change this alias. What's the process for alias changing round these parts?

kaisel
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Heh, mine's just an old (terrible) RP name that stuck around, whenever I needed to make an account for something, and I'm still slightly paranoid about using my real name out there in the big bad world (more privacy concerns than anything else). I keep thinking about changing it, since it sounds goofy, but I'm lazy.

Ted
01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Really, I should change this alias. What's the process for alias changing round these parts?

Matchstick can help you out.

I keep thinking about changing it, since it sounds goofy, but I'm lazy.

I gotcha beat. With some rotation on the 'd', I can get "gooftup" out of my username.

Reinforcements
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Reinforcements is a member of the Cheat Commandos, and his name is less goofy than most. Justice rocket backpack rocket rocket fire!

McDohl
01-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Heh, mine's just an old (terrible) RP name that stuck around, whenever I needed to make an account for something, and I'm still slightly paranoid about using my real name out there in the big bad world (more privacy concerns than anything else). I keep thinking about changing it, since it sounds goofy, but I'm lazy.

Kaisel is original, nickname-able, stands out, and isn't weird.

Why do you want to change it again? :p

shivam
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
wow, this thread started the day TT2.0 did.

Kirin
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I know I've done this before, but it seems *this* iteration of the thread started well before I began reading The Pit, so I"m not in here. So:

Back in the BBS days (say, 1992-ish) my screen name was Bahamut. (Or, sometimes, the embarassingly ascii-fied "B /\ |-| /\ |\/| U T". Echhh.)

Around 1994 or 95 when getting into places on the wider internet, I decided the most popular FF summon around was probably a little too likely to be taken and switched to a lesser-known FF6 beastie. Which also turned out to be a beer. And (though this was much more relevant in the late 90s) a Ranma 1/2 bad guy. But what the hey. I've used it so much now I can't imagine being anything else online, and as such often resort to misspelling shenanigans ("Kirinn") when it's taken. And now you all know how to stalk me even more effectively than before.

Falselogic
08-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Why isn't this thread stickied?

EDIT:Or in the about Talking Time subsection? I also think the TT meme thread should be there as well...

EDITEDIT: I might be a little too pro-sticky

Raven
08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Why isn't this thread stickied?

Seconded.

As for my handle....it's literally my name. As in Muhammad Aravena. Used to go by "RavenousGuy" back then, but now I'm older and much less goofy. So there.

Elements
08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
The 1337 of it is kinda' bleh, I know, and the origin embarrassing, but I've been using it for at least a decade now, so it's not changing.

So tell me, how did you pick what you're called on here?

PEER PRESSURE! I felt sorry for people that were PM'ing me.

Lady
08-31-2011, 12:03 AM
hey, we were all for p3

BEAT
08-31-2011, 05:12 AM
WHY ARE ALL YOUR LETTERS SO TINY

YOU SHOULD USE BIG STRONG LETTERS LIKE ME.

Soren Highwind
08-31-2011, 06:51 AM
The first part of my username is the result of a whole lot of nostalgia and nerdy sentimentality that I'm having trouble articulating. The second part is just a double (http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/Final_Fantasy_IV_Kain_Highwind_Wallpaper_uvwts.jpg ) reference (http://www.cinemaal.com/uploads/thumbs/1150183046mooshoo.gif) that I thought sounded good at the time.

Serephine
08-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Wait, the A is supposed to be an E?! FUCK! (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Teferi)

I thought time magic was a really cool concept when I was 12, and I was also just getting into Magic the Gathering at the time too, so combine the two and throw in an incorrect vowel to really get that teenager on the early internet feeling and its just stuck.

namelessentity
08-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Seconded.

As for my handle....it's literally my name. As in Muhammad Aravena. Used to go by "RavenousGuy" back then, but now I'm older and much less goofy. So there.

Wait, you can be too old for bad play-on-words? This does not bode well for me.

Mine is a reference to a joke that I'm not sure anybody even remembers anymore in that as a teenager I toyed with the idea of the first day of school walking around and introducing myself to everybody using different names.

KCar
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
As I told nearly everyone at PAX, my internet handle is my J-Lo name.

Shagohod
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
I like MGS3 (Subsistence).

Also, my old username was retarded (uhhh).

Also, I wrote intentionally terrible lyrics for one of my band's songs and called the song Shagohod

Kadj
08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
My internet-origin on Sonic the Hedgehog boards had left me with a rather crappy name originally. I had a consistent motif, sure - all of my usernames had the letter X - but after many years on the internet, I realized I had matured slightly enough at one point to want a sort of fresh start.

I wanted something short, sweet, memorable, original, and motif-less. I figured four letters and one syllable was plenty.

Well, in the end I came up with a name that satisfied four out of those five points! There were a few spelling variants I had considered (Kaaj, Kahj, Khaj, and I think a few more), but in the end I settled on Kadj, completely failing to remember a similarly-named character from Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Kadaj)

Oh well! Can't win them all.

(Variants with RD and RDL at the end in various places come up if "Kadj" is taken; RD/RDL is something of a brand attached to a series of projects of mine.)

Issun
09-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Oh hey, I haven't posted in this thread yet!

So there's this game with a wolf, and I was trying to think of a name no one else would use (my name originally ended with Bug, too, but I was tired of bugging people).

PapillonReel
09-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Oh hey, I haven't posted in this thread yet!

Huh, neither did I. Weird, I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...

Anyway, I got my alias from a video game, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFOqjwAQuy4#t=3m9s) surprise, surprise. I just thought the art looked cool when I played through the game so I took my username after it for my livejournal. I switched to another - Melomancer - during high school when I posted on a Fanfiction.net forum, but I wanted to distance myself from that when I started posting here and reverted back to good ol' Pappy.

Luana
09-01-2011, 02:13 AM
It's my name.

Also I figured I'd be meeting you fools sooner or later and learned many years ago that doing so with aliases/handles was so damn annoying.

Meditative_Zebra
09-01-2011, 02:23 AM
The moniker Meditative_Zebra was created by an online 'Metal Gear Code Name' generator. (I think it was actually the generator from Sharkey's website back in the day.) I found the mental image of a zebra in Buddhist robes sitting in a temple and serenely contemplating life to be amusing so I decided to roll with it.

John
09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Also I figured I'd be meeting you fools sooner or later and learned many years ago that doing so with aliases/handles was so damn annoying.

Word. After my run on the Twilight Imperium board game is done, then I'll change it over to some variant of my name, whatever's available.

Falselogic
09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
The moniker Meditative_Zebra was created by an online 'Metal Gear Code Name' generator. (I think it was actually the generator from Sharkey's website back in the day.) I found the mental image of a zebra in Buddhist robes sitting in a temple and serenely contemplating life to be amusing so I decided to roll with it.

To make it even more unique you should be Meditative Zedonk. Zedonks are known to be the best.

Bongo Bill
09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't even remember where mine comes from. I'm not named Bill.

Eddie
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Eddie is my actual name (well, Edward if we're being totally correct) but I thought I'd share my internet moniker of choice: "Ashdate". If you see that name around, it's probably mine.

It has nothing to do with Pokemon. I created it when I was trying to choose a cool "handle". It stands for "(A)lmighty (s)ent (h)ere to (d)estroy (a)ll (t)hings (e)vil.

I quickly ditched it as it's terrible and embarassing and sooo 90s, but it's pretty unique so I've never had a problem using it when a nickname was required (and Eddie or EddieL was taken).

Of course, I got Eddie pretty easily as I was like, the twelfth person to sign up on TT 2.0.

- Eddie

teg
09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I want to change my username.

Not to anything in particular, or for any real reason. I just want to change it.

Falselogic
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I want to change my username.

Not to anything in particular, or for any real reason. I just want to change it.

Contact Matchstick he is in charge of name changes.

Meditative_Zebra
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
To make it even more unique you should be Meditative Zedonk. Zedonks are known to be the best.

Meditative_Striped_Ass?

Falselogic
09-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Meditative_Striped_Ass?

Zedonk sounds better

Mr. Sensible
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I like Earthbound, and that makes me completely unique on this forum.

Epithet
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I like Earthbound, and that makes me completely unique on this forum.

You are no special snowflake, let's just say that.

Destil
09-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Damnit, and here my money was on it being from a Mega Man X Maverick Generator.

You Got: One with Nothing!

CaliScrub
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Zedonk sounds better

Meditative_Zedonkadonk

Meditative_Zebra
09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Meditative_Zedonkadonk

Well, one would be well served by a well portioned rump when engaged in protracted contemplation from the lotus position.