PDA

View Full Version : Best Date Movies

Animate Nihilist
07-06-2008, 11:17 PM
My girlfriend and I have started watching a movie or two together every week and we've been taking turns choosing what movies we're going to watch. I'm starting to run out of ideas, so I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for good movies which will create the desired mood.

Issun
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
That depends a lot on your girlfriend. Would she be down if you rented Borat, or would anything less schlocky than The Notebook automatically designate you as couch monkey for the night?

Sarcasmorator
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Some might disagree, but for me Stardust had much of that Princess Bride-style mixture of "fun adventure time!" and "aw how sweet."

locit
07-06-2008, 11:29 PM
That depends a lot on your girlfriend. Would she be down if you rented Borat, or would anything less schlocky than The Notebook automatically designate you as couch monkey for the night?
If she actively loves The Notebook I would advise you to take a good long look at your relationship.

(I really hate The Notebook!)

Animate Nihilist
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Just to give you an idea of our taste, so far the movies I've picked have been: Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Harold and Maude, Rushmore, Lost in Translation, and The Big Lebowski, all of which she enjoyed except for The Big Lebowski which she thought was terrible. Her picks have been: Memoirs of a Geisha, Jeux D'enfants, Casanova, Moulin Rouge, and Marie Antoinette, all of which I have enjoyed, but I'd probably watch anything with her and enjoy it. We've got queued up Love Actually and Don Juan DeMarco from her and Persepolis and Amélie from me.

Mazian
07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
I'll suggest City of Lost Children, because it's beautiful and wonderful.

Mightyblue
07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Anything with Hugh Grant in it (I kid, I kid).

Evil Dead Junkie
07-06-2008, 11:43 PM
, all of which she enjoyed except for The Big Lebowski which she thought was terrible.

all of which she enjoyed except for The Big Lebowski which she thought was terrible.

all of which she enjoyed except for The Big Lebowski which she thought was terrible.

Animate Nihilist
07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Blah blah blah blah.

I know, but to be fair I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever the first time I watched it either. (Please don't turn this into a Big Lebowski thread...)

Alastor
07-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll recommend Dead Poets Society, my personal favorite movie. The final scene will forever be etched into my mind.

Ben1842
07-07-2008, 12:12 AM
If you are up for going to the movies rather than watching at home, I'd suggest Wall-E. Saw it with my wife last night and it was really awesome. Very good as a date movie.

For date stuff at home I'd hit up some classics. Maybe Sleepless in Seatle or Goonies. Big, Joe Vs the Volcano, pretty much anything from the 80's/90's with Tom Hanks in it is a safe bet. (maybe The Terminal, as a newer one from him)

Moulin Rouge was a good one, but you already saw that....um.... maybe you could try Strictly Ballroom? Made by the same director. I haven't seen it but I hear good things.

Back to the Future is pretty safe but also fun if she hasn't seen it. (which is rare but it happens)

Most Movies with Billy Crystal are pretty decent. Harry met Sally, City Slickers, Princess Bride.

Spanglish was actually pretty good. Kind of a more serious Sandler. My wife liked it.

Also Eddie Izzard has some great stand-up DVD's that are good for a laugh.

I dunno if any of that helps but those are some suggestions.

It's a tough balance between too macho and too girly. It all kinda depends on you guys. Good Luck.

Tavir
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a really good date movie, but you should probably only see it if your girlfriend can appreciate the more male-oriented-humor moments of the movie.

Animate Nihilist
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
If you are up for going to the movies rather than watching at home, I'd suggest Wall-E.

We saw Wall-E the night after it came out, we had a really great time.

I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a really good date movie, but you should probably only see it if your girlfriend can appreciate the more male-oriented-humor moments of the movie.

We actually started hanging out after going to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall with a mutual friend.

estragon
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Generally, it sounds like you've got good taste in date movies and should keep going with what feels right to you.

As a random recommendation for sometime you're in the mood for something light yet entertaining (because sometimes it happens), have either of you seen the new-ish live action Peter Pan movie with Jason Isaacs as Captain Hook? It's shockingly good.

It sounds like we have similar taste in movies, and this is something I saw on a whim once with a friend that I really liked but normally wouldn't have watched. Try it sometime for some light fantasy that preserves some of the creepier bits of the original story.

As for something maybe more in line with what you've mentioned above, have either of you seen Dream for an Insomniac? It's an excellent romantic-ish movie that would be perfect for dates, but apparently no one has seen. (There no wikipedia entry!)

MoltenBoron
07-07-2008, 12:19 AM
If you like black and white movies, I'm a big fan of It Happened One Night and Sabrina (the original with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn). While I'm on Billy Wilder, The Apartment is also fun, if a touch more satirical.

For more contemporary movies, I liked Tillsammans (Together) a lot. It's a Swedish movie about life in a commune durin the 70s. And if you're going to be watching Love Actually (which is kind of more of a Christmas-themed romantic comedy) you may as well watch When Harry Met Sally, which inspired a lot of lesser romantic comedies.

Stiv
07-07-2008, 12:25 AM
My "movie date" experiences usually consist of things like Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (not recommended) but probably the best "date" movie I can think of is The Fountain. Bring some tissues.

estragon
07-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Also, how do you feel about Tim Burton?

Edward Scissorhands is obviously great, and there's a lot of other great stuff if you both like him. (Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish (I didn't like Big Fish, but lots of people do), etc.)

Animate Nihilist
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Also, how do you feel about Tim Burton?

Edward Scissorhands is obviously great, and there's a lot of other great stuff if you both like him. (Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish (I didn't like Big Fish, but lots of people do), etc.)

I'm pro Burton and I think she is as well. Also, neither of us have seen the movies you mentioned earlier.

Great suggestions guys, thanks a lot!

estragon
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm pro Burton and I think she is as well. Also, neither of us have seen the movies you mentioned earlier.

Great suggestions guys, thanks a lot!

If you like Burton, I bet you'll like that 2003 Peter Pan movie as long as watch it when you're in the mood for a children's movie.

Posaune
07-07-2008, 07:25 AM
My "movie date" experiences usually consist of things like Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (not recommended) but probably the best "date" movie I can think of is The Fountain. Bring some tissues.

GARBAGE DAY.

KCar
07-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Two successful date movies I've seen are Stranger than Fiction and Once, the latter of which manages, somehow, to not be schlock through sheer force of charm.

Seconding Stardust.

Dizzy
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Her picks have been: Memoirs of a Geisha, Jeux D'enfants, Casanova, Moulin Rouge, and Marie Antoinette, all of which I have enjoyed, but I'd probably watch anything with her and enjoy it. We've got queued up Love Actually and Don Juan DeMarco from her and Persepolis and Amélie from me.

She seems to like period pieces that are theatrical and girly. Rent some Merchant-Ivory flicks and break her spirit.

Or rent In the Company of Men.

Kishi
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
If you like Burton, I bet you'll like that 2003 Peter Pan movie as long as watch it when you're in the mood for a children's movie.

And major bonus points if either of you is attracted to scantily-clad children.

Brickroad
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
It's so hard finding a movie both my girlfriend and I can enjoy. Everytime there's some fun classic movie she hasn't seen (like Ghostbusters) she gets bored and falls asleep. And every time she buys a movie for us to watch it's something like John Tucker Must Die and I end up just playing DS and waiting until it's over.

We both appreciate a good scary movie though, providing it is ACTUALLY scary (i'm into campy gorefests, but she isn't). Problem with those is they have a short shelf life, and once you've made it through all the jumps and gasps the experience is pretty much spent; you can never watch them again for the first time. If I pick a good one, though, and she spends the entire movie in my lap... mission accomplished, right?

Animated films are always a good bet for us. We snuggled up to Howl's Moving Castle a few weeks ago, and we had a long heartfelt conversation about WALL-E after seeing it. Cartoons pretty much always take you to the same place every time you watch them, so they're good to re-visit.

Makkara
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
She seems to like period pieces that are theatrical and girly.

With this in mind, she might like Sakuran. I've seen it compared to Marie Antoinette more than once, as it's a period piece with modern music and flamboyant visuals. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find (legitimately) in America, though. I'm guessing very.

Dizzy
07-07-2008, 08:37 AM
If you want something like Marie Antoinette as well, see if you can locate Breillat's The Last Mistress. It's about a man who has to choose between his mistress and his wife-to-be in 19th (or 18th?) century France. That should make a good date movie. Both movies share the same star I believe, Asia Argento. Wait.. it has subtitles. You'll spend more time having a reading adventure watching it.

Pombar
07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Spiderman 2 is a trap. It really is just a nerdy movie.

Matchstick
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
For date stuff at home I'd hit up some classics. Maybe Sleepless in Seatle or Goonies. Big, Joe Vs the Volcano, pretty much anything from the 80's/90's with Tom Hanks in it is a safe bet. (maybe The Terminal, as a newer one from him)

Tom Hanks made quite a few crappy movies during that time (Turner and Hooch, Dragnet, The 'burbs, The Man with One Red Shoe, etc.). Caveat Renter.

Recent movies I'd suggest: A Very Long Engagement, Sideways, Finding Neverland

Older movies I'd suggest: Some Like It Hot, Sunset Boulevard, Local Hero, Almost Famous, Say Anything, Sense and Sensibility (the Ang Lee version - if this isn't a home run, I'll be amazed), Enchanted April, Dangerous Liaisons, Raise the Red Lantern (subtitled)

Secret Punch
07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
The Life Aquatic, and it's true, cartoons are awesome and girls often love them.

Mazian
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
With this in mind, she might like Sakuran. I've seen it compared to Marie Antoinette more than once, as it's a period piece with modern music and flamboyant visuals. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find (legitimately) in America, though. I'm guessing very.
You are, unfortunately, correct; there's no Region 1 DVD release yet. You might get lucky and catch it on the film-festival circuit like I did, but other than that, it's either Region 2 or more sinister means.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Tom Hanks made quite a few crappy movies during that time (Turner and Hooch, Dragnet, The 'burbs, The Man with One Red Shoe, etc.).

Excuse me, but Turner and Hooch and The Man With One Red Shoe are both great movies.

As for the topic on hand: I'd second Stranger Than Fiction. I saw it a couple weeks ago and it's surprisingly good.

And don't limit yourself just to Wall-E. Just about every Pixar movie (hint: try Monsters, Inc.) is great for a date.

Brickroad
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
And don't limit yourself just to Wall-E. Just about every Pixar movie (hint: try Monsters, Inc.) is great for a date.

Ratatouille is particularly good on a night where you cook yourselves a fancy dinner first, which is what we did.

KCar
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Has Amelie come up yet?

Amelie.

mrbuu82
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
The Life Aquatic

I second this emotion. You folks seem to like Bill Murray and he is in his usual form here.

The Sting is also a decent popcorn date movie.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Ratatouille is particularly good on a night where you cook yourselves a fancy dinner first, which is what we did.

Dude, Ratatouille is the movie my current girlfriend and I watched on my couch before we were dating. By the end of the movie, I had my arm around her and I had asked her out. Good movie to watch with girls.

Matchstick
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Has Amelie come up yet?

Amelie.

Yes, Amelie was already mentioned. Otherwise, I would have done so as well. Perfect romantic movie to me.

Dizzy
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM

That's stretching it a bit. You know Toy Story and its sequel are a bit too, dare I say it, kiddish to watch with a loved one. Unless you're into the whole irony thing and you're both sitting there giggling and going "Hee-hee! I'm too old to be watching a movie about talking toys! I love you..." Actually, it can work like that. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Toy Story as a date movie. It's a genuine emotional experience meant to bridge the love between two soulmates.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2008, 01:58 PM
That's stretching it a bit. You know Toy Story and its sequel are a bit too, dare I say it, kiddish to watch with a loved one. Unless you're into the whole irony thing and you're both sitting there giggling and going "Hee-hee! I'm too old to be watching a movie about talking toys! I love you..." Actually, it can work like that. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Toy Story as a date movie. It's a genuine emotional experience meant to bridge the love between two soulmates.

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I firmly believe that any adult that can't bring themselves to un-ironically enjoy Toy Story isn't worth dating.

Paul le Fou
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know if you're being serious or not, but...

This is the proper way to respond to anything that Dizzy has ever posted.

And if you can't genuinely enjoy Toy Story at any age, you may just be dead inside.

Issun
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Chasing Amy, if she doesn't mind some (okay, a lot of) vulgarity. Crazy/Beautiful is a teen romance that actually doesn't suck.
Oh, and Kill Bill. I've known quite a few of the womenz to dig Kill Bill, believe it or not.

chud_666
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
i spit on your grave and guinea pig

Animate Nihilist
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
i spit on your grave and guinea pig

God I hope you're joking.

Dizzy
07-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Chud obviously finds those movies perfect for dates. It's his or her preference. Maybe not all of us would like to watch those movies because they're not romantic, but for chud, they somehow are.

mr_bungle700
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
True fact: chud can only get off while watching Flower of Flesh and Blood.

Brickroad
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Did anyone suggest In the Realm of the Senses yet? Don't look it up or research it at all, just go ahead and put it on your queue.

reibeatall
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Pick a scary movie. That way, she'll want you to hold her.

Dizzy
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Did anyone suggest In the Realm of the Senses yet? Don't look it up or research it at all, just go ahead and put it on your queue.

Sure to give your date a ton of fantastic ideas....

Balrog
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM

Are you Cockroach from the Cosby Show?

Calorie Mate
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Not after you shriek like a little girl, it won't.

mr_bungle700
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM

It's the most romantic movie ever made!

KCar
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
It's the most romantic movie ever made!

True fact: Jacques Lacan said it displayed the essence of female sexuality.

So yes. Add it to your queue.

reibeatall
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Not after you shriek like a little girl, it won't.

Only if you're a girly man. Like you are.

standing8
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I've had great success on dates watching My Sassy Girl, Swing Girls and Gummo. Just kidding about My Sassy Girl and Swing Girls.

Animate Nihilist
07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

I'm glad I looked up and researched that one, I'm not sure that would have gone over very well...

keele864
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Two successful date movies I've seen are Stranger than Fiction and Once, the latter of which manages, somehow, to not be schlock through sheer force of charm.

Once is fantastic. Everyone I know who has seen it liked it.

chud_666
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I've had great success on dates watching My Sassy Girl, Swing Girls and Gummo. Just kidding about My Sassy Girl and Swing Girls.

Yes Gummo
Take her out for chinese and o henry bars and then watch Gummo.

Also maybe the Brown Bunny, i hear that ends well.

Seriously though, how about Hedwig?

Merus
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
You're trying to make a move on Inanimate Nihilist's girl, aren't you.

Animate Nihilist
07-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes Gummo
Take her out for chinese and o henry bars and then watch Gummo.

Also maybe the Brown Bunny, i hear that ends well.

Seriously though, how about Hedwig?

Is it wrong that I think you look exactly like your avatar?

Ganietzsche
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Across The Universe is likely to go down well.

Animate Nihilist
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Across The Universe is likely to go down well.

I'm a big Beatles fan and usually hate any covers of their songs, will I hate this?

estragon
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Once is fantastic. Everyone I know who has seen it liked it.

Oh, god, yes.

See Once! The correct answer to this thread was Once!

Nice try everyone, but keele already won the thread.

Ganietzsche
07-09-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm a big Beatles fan and usually hate any covers of their songs, will I hate this?

Quite possibly, but they're not 'covers' so much as they are adaptations for a Musical/Drama context (although I can't say myself I like any Beatles covers, excluding some Soul versions, and this film didn't bother me - but maybe your purism is particularly strong). What I didn't like about the film was infinitely outweighed by what she loved (it became one of her favourite movies ever and I was the one to introduce it), so in that sense it was a very successful date movie.