PDA

View Full Version : Add to Queue General Thread

Add to Queue's VsRobot
07-13-2008, 01:32 PM
There's a column that occasionally posts on the front page of Gamespite. It covers select new-to-home-video DVDs and Blu-ray discs, with a heavy bias towards theatrical releases hitting home video for the first time, with only occasional catalog titles of major note getting coverage.

Discuss it here in perpetuity, because making a thread every week is too depressing to keep up on.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
07-13-2008, 01:46 PM
No column this week due to E3, so here's what would have been covered:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_bank.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_meet.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_penelope.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_secretary.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_shutter.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_step.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_year.jpg

If while watching The Dark Knight, you find yourself wondering what Batman's girlfriend would look like engaged in some pony-play, well, there's a movie getting rereleased that will answer that question for you! The Secretary is obviously only getting repackaged and repromoted to try and ride the wave of hype of TDK, which I think is hilarious because of it's BDSM subject matter. What's not hilarious, though, is the film: perhaps the only mainstream-ish film to ever treat the subject of BDSM with respect and the people involved as actual human beings. Exit to Eden sure didn't do either. At it's core, it is a love story where the people involved happen to have particular fetishes. It's not "look at the freaks!" exploitation crap.

Penelope, about a girl with a pig's snout instead of a nose, is sure to teach everyone a valuable lesson about love and acceptance -- and also attract a cult audience of furries.

Bank Job, Meet Bill, Shutter, Step Up 2: Electric Boogaloo, and The Year My Parents Went on Vacation round out the notable new releases.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/080715_blu.jpg

Octopus Prime
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I like Jason Steak'ems, so I am naturally inclined to watch The Bank Job.

Unless the film in question doesn't involve him using action-violence to fight people!

In which case: You've just missed the point of Jason Steak'em movies.

blitzchamp
07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Secretary sounds interesting, but I'd rather not have any opinion on Batman's girlfriend until TDK.

sraymonds
07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I like Jason Steak'ems, so I am naturally inclined to watch The Bank Job.

Unless the film in question doesn't involve him using action-violence to fight people!

In which case: You've just missed the point of Jason Steak'em movies.

Do you like In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale?

Octopus Prime
07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Do you like In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale?

I didn't see it because I didn't want my opinion of Jason Steak'em tarnished, you see.

Matchstick
07-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Secretary is well worth seeing.

Thinaran
07-14-2008, 01:12 AM
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale is well worth seeing.

No, seriously.

Dadgum Roi
07-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Weeks after renting it, we finally got around to watching In Bruges last night. It was really good, swinging wildly between the very funny and the very melancholy. I went in expecting a light Ruy Gitchie romp, but this is one that was really sold short by its ad copy. Go watch it.

standing8
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Hmmmmm...One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Step Up 2: The Streets(Dance Off Edition)? I just can't decide.

Zithuan
07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Weeks after renting it, we finally got around to watching In Bruges last night. It was really good, swinging wildly between the very funny and the very melancholy.

I just saw this a couple weeks ago myself, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes dark comedies. It's a very well put together movie and nearly every detail seems to have a greater purpose in the overall story.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
07-14-2008, 08:09 AM
In Bruges is fantastic. "You don't know karate!"

I wish I had seen it in advance of it's home video release so I could have recommended it more strongly.

Matchstick
07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd agree that In Bruges is not best characterized as a comedy. It has funny elements, but there's also a lot of other things (as Grant said). I definitely enjoyed it.

sraymonds
07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I didn't see it because I didn't want my opinion of Jason Steak'em tarnished, you see.

I will be watching In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale in your honor.

Dadgum Roi
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Holy shit:

http://www.thelocal.de/12847/20080702/

This is really awesome. I love Metropolis.

keele864
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Holy shit:

http://www.thelocal.de/12847/20080702/

This is really awesome. I love Metropolis.

Got to love lost films.
The Passion of Joan of Arc:
The original version of the film was lost for decades, after a fire destroyed the master negative. Dreyer himself attempted to reassemble a version from out-takes and surviving prints, but he died believing his original cut was lost forever. A virtually complete print of Dreyer's original version was found in 1981 in a janitor's closet of an Oslo mental institution

Ample Vigour
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Tropa de Elite: is it ever going to get a DVD release in America?

DANoWAR
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale is well worth seeing.

No, seriously.

You just lost all my respect. :-(

Dungeon Siege was a tedious, overwrought, overlong and boring mess.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
My new column is up. And since Jeremy ratted me out on my intention to stop picking things weekly, I figured I'd let you guys behind the curtain on why I did it.

It's a rather silly move to make,removing the "Pick of the Week", since historically most of the discussion my column has generated has been centered around what is and isn't suitable for the POTW. Since the only reward I get for A2Q is the discussion surrounding the column, it's a move that I may soon regret. But it's a move I felt was necessary.

The POTW was becoming a crutch for me. I want to improve my writing, but when I wanted to highlight something I just attached that tag to it instead of taking the time to express what makes it worthwhile in the text.

I also haven't been able to spend as much time watching these movies as I have in the past. The Pick was becoming "Which of these movies have I actually seen?" instead of "Which is the best use of your time?", which is how I originally envisioned it.

So, anyway, the new column is on the main page. I'm seeing Spaced as soon as possible -- I've almost torrented it a billion times but bit torrent is such a pain the ass on my hillbilly internet connection that I never actually pulled the trigger. Now I can watch it legally!

sraymonds
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM
SPACED

YES. GO NOW.

Spaced is one of those few DVDs that I've actually imported so I could watch. That and Nick Frost's Danger! 50,000 Volts!

Calorie Mate
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I've heard good things about Spaced, but like you, Vs, I never got around to it. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon.

Thinaran
07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I have the UK Spaced Complete box, but it's not working on my DVD player, so I'll have to buy it again so I can watch it on the NTSC PS3. Handily, it has more bonus stuff than the UK edition as well.

Oh and I also owned the single disc releases.

I really like Spaced.

Octopus Prime
07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
As soon as it is feasible to buy it, Spaced will be mine.

Buying three seasons worth of Dr. Who, and one of Batman Beyond has taken care of my DVD needs for the next little while.

I also rented 21 and liked it. Wasn't amazing, wasn't bad, just good.

JCDenton
07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I was really looking to avoid spending money for the rest of the summer, but:

Spaced Spaced Spaced Spaced Spaced

As you can see, I really have no option.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
This week's edition is the 50th that has been published on the main page. This doesn't count all the forum-exclusive versions I made prior to getting promoted to the big leagues or the forum-exclusive versions I made while Jeremy was traveling.

Most of the credit (if there is any to give) should go to Jeremy. His encouragement kept me going even when I'm in one of my depressive spells and hate everything that I produce. It may seem lame, but I have saved the nice things people have said about A2Q and I sometimes reread it to motivate myself to write the column in weeks where I can barely manage to do anything productive at all.

Thanks to everyone who reads it, special thanks to everyone who gives me feedback, and extra special thanks to Jeremy for giving me the opportunity and the moral support. Here's to 50 more!

DANoWAR
08-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Congladurations!

I read your column every time (even if I'm not the intended audience).

Want more, please keep on writing. :-)

Sarcasmorator
08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Congrats on the milestone, man. The column is great work.

Dhroo
08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I read the column every week regardless of whether it features any movies I'm interested in. It's good stuff!

Also, I never would have seen The Orphanage or Before the Devil Knows You're Dead if not for your recommendations, so thanks for that, too!

juanfrugalj
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I guess it's a good thing when I like the column enough to read it unconditionally, even though Ill probably never buy any of those movies.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
08-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Also, I never would have seen The Orphanage or Before the Devil Knows You're Dead if not for your recommendations, so thanks for that, too!

That is so sweet. I'm making a difference!

Add to Queue's VsRobot
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.audioshocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/maverick07.jpg
http://www.movieactors.com/freezes1/TopGun10.jpeghttp://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1986_Top_Gun/Thumb/986TGN_Val_Kilmer_006.jpg

Iceman read my latest column.. have you? (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/archive_2008-m08.php#e750)

Matchstick
08-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I must needs check out this CJ7 movie.

sraymonds
08-12-2008, 05:02 AM
VsRobot, you can be my wingman anytime.

Levi VsRobot
08-18-2008, 10:15 PM
http://megangoestohollywood.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dexter.jpg

This foot read my latest column:

Have you? (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/archive_2008-m08.php#e759)

teekun
08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Hannah Montana on bluray you say? My life is complete!

Now with that out of the way, I've been missing a few episodes of Dexters Aussie TV run, and I want to catch up. Why is there no blu-ray release yet :(:(:(

Levi VsRobot
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Seriously! I almost didn't include it, to punish them for failing to feed my BD addiction. But I would have been doing a disservice to my fan. Yeah, there's only one, but he does like the column a lot so...

cartman414
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
http://megangoestohollywood.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dexter.jpg

This foot read my latest column:

Have you? (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/archive_2008-m08.php#e759)

Why the harshing on Justice League?

Levi VsRobot
08-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Why the harshing on Justice League?

I was harshing on Mr. MXLPTYLSKJDFLKJ and praising Nolan's take on Batman. I actually didn't talk about the product at all.

Spoiler: I do that a lot. :D

cartman414
08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I was harshing on Mr. MXLPTYLSKJDFLKJ and praising Nolan's take on Batman. I actually didn't talk about the product at all.

Spoiler: I do that a lot. :D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Dur.

On that same pseudo-OT note, I'm not half as fond of Bale's vocalization of Batman/Bruce Wayne as I am Kevin Conroy's.

Levi VsRobot
08-18-2008, 11:54 PM
On that same pseudo-OT note, I'm not half as fond of Bale's vocalization of Batman/Bruce Wayne as I am Kevin Conroy's.

Does anyone like Bale's Batman voice? It makes sense that he would disguise his voice, but listening to Batman do monologues is just painful.

teekun
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Does anyone like Bale's Batman voice? It makes sense that he would disguise his voice, but listening to Batman do monologues is just painful.

Also, Bruth Wayne.

Paul le Fou
08-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I loved Dexter season 1. I especially liked that it was a self-contained story, not just an "arc" (I hate the term "arc" as applied to a section of a television show) of a larger ongoing story concept - I was originally apprehensive about season 2 because it seemed like it ran a severe risk of stretching out something that shouldn't - needn't - be stretched. I liked the writing and the acting etc. But most of all, I liked that under the blood and guts and sadism and death, it was basically a warm-hearted story about a fucked-up guy who wants to be normal but can't quite make it.

Will I like Dexter season 2?

Levi VsRobot
08-19-2008, 01:24 AM
It's hard to say. They really explore Dexter as a sociopath - he wants to be normal because he wants to impress his dad, but when his faith in his father is rocked, will he give up on everything his father taught him? After all, he doesn't have emotions. Does he really care if he kills bad guys or good guys?

It's also interesting that among his antagonists in Season two are "good guys". He can't just slit their throats without violating "Harry's Code".

They do a lot of interesting things with these core questions about Dexter, and I enjoyed Season Two as much as the first. I definitely liked Season two of the show more than I liked books two in the novels.

Calorie Mate
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I know two people that have seen Dexter Season 2 already, both of which have said that Season 1 was really good (it was), but Season 2 is so much better somehow my god. I've already preordered this bad boy. I seriously cannot wait.

Octopus Prime
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I didn't see season 1 of Dexter, but I wanted to. And now all the peoples are saying that season 2 is better. I may have to seek out this program, learn more about it.

Also, there was no mention of the first season of Transformers Animated on there.

The rest of all y'all can take your time-travelling Summer Glau's, your serial-killer police and borderline-sociopathic doctors, I'm going to be jammin' with Bumblebee.

Adrenaline
08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I definitely didn't think season 2 was better. It was good, though.

Levi VsRobot
08-25-2008, 11:06 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/LeviVsRobot/192644BgIF_w.jpg

The Pumpkin King read my latest column. Have you? (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/archive_2008-m08.php#e767)

teekun
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Sonofabitch. I'm gonna have to go and buy Nightmare Before Christmas on a third format :(

Shadax
08-26-2008, 01:42 AM
If I recall correctly, the tennants of Delicatessen were perfectly aware that they were buying human meat, which is why they were bitching about how long the butcher was taking in killing the new kid

Levi VsRobot
08-26-2008, 07:58 AM
If I recall correctly, the tennants of Delicatessen were perfectly aware that they were buying human meat,

I knew I was going to get that wrong. I saw it so long ago -- and the VHS version I had wasa really bad dub. I need to check it out again.

Matchstick
08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Delicatessen began my love affair with the work of Jeunet. If he never made another movie after Amelie, I'd still be happy (yes, I know he made one after that).

Excitemike
08-26-2008, 08:40 AM
When I bought my laserdisc player from eBay, it arrived with Delicatessen still in the machine. It almost made up for the exorbitant shipping!

Little Sampson
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Sonofabitch. I'm gonna have to go and buy Nightmare Before Christmas on a third format :(

JCDenton
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh man, I just saw The Thing and it was supergood. Need to watch more Carpenter/Russel stuff.

sraymonds
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I love the Dawn of the Dead remake. It sorta brought about a revival of zombie flicks, didn't it?

Oh the hell? The Thing on Blu-Ray is 25 bucks. Screw that.

Paul le Fou
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I've heard substantial muttering that the director's cut of Daredevil is, beyond all expectations, Actually Pretty Good. Anyone care to comment? I avoided the everloving hell out of it the first time around, but after Kingdom of Heaven I know what a director's cut is capable of.

shivam
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
i can't imagine spending any money or time on daredevil ever again. that movie was just that bad.

sraymonds
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry, but 40 bucks for a Blu-Ray copy of Daredevil is ludicrous. This is coming from a guy that has almost ever Marvel movie.

TheSL
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I went to Target.com and was surprised to see the "Ultimate Edition" Iron Man Blu-Ray disc on sale for $25. That seems like a steal when I can't buy most 10+ year old movies on Blu-Ray for less than $30.

mr_bungle700
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I've heard substantial muttering that the director's cut of Daredevil is, beyond all expectations, Actually Pretty Good.

I've heard the same thing. I refuse to believe it.

Jeanie
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
The general scuttlebutt is that the Director's Cut IS better than the theatrical version because it actually has a subplot in it that was Matt defending a guy in a trial. That subplot was cut out of the theatrical version.

I still don't know if it was a decent movie yet or not. Anyone want to bite the bullet on the DVD version of the DC Daredevil?

Oh and Forgetting Sarah Marshal is still funny.

Octopus Prime
09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh man, I just saw The Thing and it was supergood. Need to watch more Carpenter/Russel stuff.

The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York and They Live are the only ones worth watching.

So... don't watch Escape from L.A.... I guess.

sraymonds
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York and They Live are the only ones worth watching.

So... don't watch Escape from L.A.... I guess.

I don't think Kurt Russell is in They Live...

Octopus Prime
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think Kurt Russell is in They Live...

In the perfect version of that movie that exists in my mind, he is.

Sarcasmorator
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
The general scuttlebutt is that the Director's Cut IS better than the theatrical version because it actually has a subplot in it that was Matt defending a guy in a trial. That subplot was cut out of the theatrical version.

I've also heard that it trims and rearranges a lot of the "love story" so that it's less stupid and way less of a focus.

Sven
09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Speaking as an admitted DD fanboy, the Director's Cut is MILES better. The direction still isn't perfect, but at least it's a Daredevil movie rather than "Daredevil-BUT-WAIT-LOOK-WE-HAVE-JENNIFER-GARNER-AS-ELEKTRA-COME-SEE-THE-SPINOFF!!!"

Just off the top of my head:

- The origin actually has some weight to it now. It's not Batman Begins, but it's good and gets some room to breathe. I just wish someone would figure out exactly how old Matt was when Battlin' Jack was killed, since it's different in every version of the origin (Man Without Fear, Yellow, the movie, the original Miller story with Urich burning the pictures, etc.)
- As noted, there's a really good subplot with the murder trial added. They still don't fix the weird bit with Matt prosecuting a rapist in the first act, but at least there's some good court scenes now.
- Matt no longer behaves like a jackass just because he's about to get some.
- The murder subplot actually explains why the cops are coming after Kingpin at the end.
- A really great callback to a Daredevil story that I'm not going to spoil, but it gives Foggy a nice moment.
- Same scene: Karen Page actually does something, which is nice since they ignored her with all the focus on Elektra.
- Heck, I'm fairly sure they actually CUT Jennifer Garner's screentime.
- Personally I think the fact that they didn't have to fast-cut the violence (since it's rated R) made it a lot easier to watch, but I've heard differing reactions to that.

The DC is certainly a better movie than Spidey 3, and probably better than both Hulk movies, if that gives you an idea of just how much the re-editing it improved it. I'm actually surprised more people haven't seen it, since it was pretty well-received on most comics forums I posted on back when it was released.

If you can't get past the idea that Affleck is playing Matt Murdock, you're never going to like the movie. Get past that, and you'll enjoy yourself.

That said: I own every DD TPB Marvel's ever published, partially became a lawyer because of reading DD as a kid, and even *I'M* not psychotic enough to buy it on Blu-Ray. Track down the DVD of the DC for $5 or whatever it goes for now instead.

(There's an awesomely honest documentary on the DC - they go so far as to call the original "seriously flawed" and more or less apologise for how it turned out after the producer and studio hacked the hell out of it.)

sraymonds
09-30-2008, 02:36 PM
The director of Daredevil then went on to make Ghost Rider.

I hope the Marvel movie regime learns from their mistakes.

Sven
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
The director of Daredevil then went on to make Ghost Rider.

I hope the Marvel movie regime learns from their mistakes.

Fuck, the combined forces of Raiders-era Spielberg, Aliens-era Cameron and 1977 George Lucas couldn't have made "Nic Cage is Ghost Rider!" work.

And I think the poor guy learned his lesson about fighting studio wishes after DD got taken away from him.

Octopus Prime
10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
A bunch of remastered Hitchcock movies were released today. Consequently, I am now the proud owner of Rear Window and Vertigo. Whee!

Now, if I could just find North by Northwest and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, I'd be on cloud-nine.

Levi VsRobot
10-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Vertigo. Whee!

holy crap do I love that movie.

However, I've already bought it like three times. I'm not buying it again until they release it on Blu-ray.

Nicholai
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM
holy crap do I love that movie.

However, I've already bought it like three times. I'm not buying it again until they release it on Blu-ray.

The same for me. Along with The Birds and Psycho. While I have barely bought any blu-rays, because the prices are way too much, the fact that I have a PS3 has made me reconsider several movies that I would have bought on DVD.

djSyndrome
10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey guys Sleeping Beauty. Best Disney movie ever?

-Yes
-Very Yes
-Not No

(pick one)

I'm getting this today on Blu-Ray. For the kids? Yeah. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it too.

Brickroad
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey guys The Little Mermaid. Best Disney movie ever?

-Yes
-Very Yes
-Not No

(pick one)

Fix'd!

Still not sure I'd spend $30 on it though.

sraymonds
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Quick, before it goes back into the Disney vault!

I want the Incredibles on Blu-Ray. What the hell Disney

EDIT: I'm with Road of Bricks.

Nicholai
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey guys Sleeping Beauty. Best Disney movie ever?

-Yes
-Very Yes
-Not No

(pick one)

I'm getting this today on Blu-Ray. For the kids? Yeah. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it too.

I'm a Beauty and the Beast guy myself.

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry, but Aladdin, Mulan, and Emperor's New Groove are all better than Sleeping Beauty.

djSyndrome
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry, but Aladdin, Mulan, and Emperor's New Groove are all better than Sleeping Beauty.

Hey, how do I deliver punches through the internet?

Octopus Prime
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Guys, guys...

What about The Black Hole? Where does it stand?

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Through PayPal.

Thinaran
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
The Black Hole sucks. Ok, I haven't seen it, just couldn't resist the obvious joke.

keele864
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM

This.

Octopus Prime wrote:
A bunch of remastered Hitchcock movies were released today. Consequently, I am now the proud owner of Rear Window and Vertigo. Whee!

Now, if I could just find North by Northwest and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, I'd be on cloud-nine.

Great movies all. Though I assume you weren't trying to suggest that The Man who Shot Liberty Valance is Hitchcock?

Do I buy North by Northwest again? Probably.
And I've never owned Vertigo, so...

Levi VsRobot
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I love love love Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, and The Black Cauldron. All considered lower-tier Disneyana. All better than the direct-to-video crap they churn out now.

Sleeping Beauty is pretty fuckin' ace. I didn't really discuss the film at all in my column, because, uh, it's Sleeping Beauty.

The Emperor's New Groove can eat a bowl of dicks.

Brickroad
10-07-2008, 01:43 PM

When it comes out on Blu-ray I expect you to use this exact line in your column. If you don't I'm going to call you a chicken-wuss.

djSyndrome
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Why hide this? That movie was fucking terrible.

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM

Are you fucking serious?

TheSL
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Why exactly does the Disney Vault exist anyways? Wouldn't they get the same result by releasing "Platinum Edition" ones every couple years, but also get the benefit of people buying the movie in the interim if they wish?

djSyndrome
10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Why exactly does the Disney Vault exist anyways? Wouldn't they get the same result by releasing "Platinum Edition" ones every couple years, but also get the benefit of people buying the movie in the interim if they wish?

Strictly marketing. It's to scare people into buying as many copies of a movie as possible on release. Back in the 80s and 90s this was an effective tactic. Now you can just go to eBay and pick up a copy. You can still easily find copies of Snow White on DVD, and that went 'back into the vault' six years ago.

TheSL
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, now if I can't find a movie for a reasonable price I'll go straight to Bittorrent, too.

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Because the fact that people know these movies are going away makes them more likely to buy them. Also, they can release more toys, and they buy.

Octopus Prime
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Great movies all. Though I assume you weren't trying to suggest that The Man who Shot Liberty Valance is Hitchcock?

My grammar certainly does seem to suggest that. But along with The Forbidden Planet, once I get those two, I'll have owned every one of my favorite movies to be made before 1965.

Possibly Fantasia as well, but, honestly, I only like two or three segments from that.

Levi VsRobot
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
When it comes out on Blu-ray I expect you to use this exact line in your column. If you don't I'm going to call you a chicken-wuss.

I really doubt that line would make it past my editor.

Why hide this? That movie was fucking terrible.

Because it hurts me to talk about ENG and SB in the same post. :( IT BURNS THE EYES.

Are you fucking serious?

The only way it could have been worse is if Dane Cook was in it.

Brickroad
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I really doubt that line would make it past my editor.

Dammit man, you've got to try.

Actually I seem to remember your editor liking ENG, so you might be right.

The only way it could have been worse is if Dane Cook was in it.

ICE COLD BURN

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I hate you guys. Time to cut while I listen to My Chemical Romance and write poetry.

TheSL
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I hate you guys. Time to cut while I listen to My Chemical Romance and write poetry.

Don't forget to comb your hair over your eyes!

reibeatall
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Don't forget to comb your hair over your eyes!

Since it's longer than when you saw it, I can totally do that.

Levi VsRobot
10-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Kids these days. Back in my day we listened to The Smiths or Joy Division when we cut ourselves and we liked it.

djSyndrome
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Kids these days. Back in my day we listened to The Smiths or Joy Division when we cut ourselves and we liked it.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

Nicholai
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
My grammar certainly does seem to suggest that. But along with The Forbidden Planet, once I get those two, I'll have owned every one of my favorite movies to be made before 1965.

Possibly Fantasia as well, but, honestly, I only like two or three segments from that.

Ohhh. Forbidden Planet is definitely one of my favorites.

Dizzy
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
The recent Queue whatever was decent. Keep up the good work Levi!

Matchstick
10-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Listen to this charming man. He has an insight into your dead souls.

Levi VsRobot
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Why must poetry be associated with emotionally unstable young adults?

Because they insist on reading their work to you.

Maya Angelou ain't all up in my grill, all using emotional blackmails to get me to read her stuff. She just puts it out there.

Nicholai
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Because they insist on reading their work to you.

I've never had a good poet force their work on me. Maya Angelou ain't all up in my grill, all using emotional blackmails to get me to read her stuff. She just puts it out there.

She isn't?! Man, she's outside all the time trying to get me to listen and read her stuff. Crazy.