PDA

View Full Version : What are your OTHER podcasts?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Ethan
07-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I listen to TWiT and the CAGcast, but I guess those are usual suspects for us nerd folk.

I've recently discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, which seems excellent so far. It's a history podcast that focuses on the human peculiarities and sociological implications of historical events, as opposed to the dry academic approach that seems to be more common.

This American Life.

TEDtalks audio.

And sometimes I listen to travel podcasts, though I haven't found one I really like yet.

reibeatall
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
GFW Radio always. Retronauts when we get it. 1up Yours sometimes.

Edit: I knew I was forgetting one. 1upFM.

Adrenaline
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
GFW Radio, 1Up FM (they should drop the normal part and just do backlog), 1Up Yours, and Giant Bombcast.

shivam
07-18-2008, 12:14 PM
i really don't like 1upfm. It's just not doing it for me.

I listen to the other 1up casts, Coverville, XLR8R, SolipsisticNation, Electronicast, Yo La La (french hip hop!), and a handfull of other music podcasts.

standing8
07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Twit stuff, specifically The Tech Guy and Macbreak Weekly. NPR shows like Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, Radio Lab and of course This American Life. I've been really into You Look Nice Today with Merlin Mann and friends as well as Smodcast for comedy. Then of course Retronauts and 1upFM. Suttnet and Kohler are great. Since I don't have cable, I listen to Around the Horn and PTI through podcast. I listen to more but these are my favorite. Total podcast nerd here. I do podcasts rather than watch tv. I literally dont watch any television except for when Lost is on or when Playoff sports comes around. Except basketball, I wary that all season long.

Animate Nihilist
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
The Bugle - Audio Newspaper For A Visual World
Jordan, Jesse GO!
WNYC's Radio Lab
You Look Nice Today

The Bugle is a couple of brits doing a weekly satirical "audio newspaper" which is really great, usually runs about a half hour. Jordan, Jesse GO! is a couple of guys talking about stuff for an hour, usually a lot of pop culture talk, very funny. WNYC's Radio Lab is a very interesting very well produced science show for the layman, even if you're not too interested in science it's still fun to listen to. You Look Nice Today is three guys talking about stuff (never heard that before!), a lot of pop culture stuff and kind of obtuse humor. (I'm sure I didn't do any of these justice, so I recommend just trying them!)

Pseudonym
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I used to have a ton of podcasts on my playlist, but I didn't have enough time to keep up with them so the list got trimmed down.

My current favorites are Retronauts and the Penny Arcade podcast. As they both pop up pretty rarely I save them for good long stretches of data loading/book shelving.

I also will listen to the Wizards of the Coast D&D podcast from time to time, and I'm trying out a letterboxing podcast. Listening to a bunch of people playing D&D in The World's Largest Dungeon podcast amuses me and is a good time killer. After reading "The Areas of My Expertise" I downloaded the Little Gray Book Lectures podcast. I like it, too bad it doesn't update any more. I like the 1up show, but I always have battery issues when watching videos. I also keep some Strongbad and Making Fiends on the ipod for cartoon emergencys.

shivam
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
i should plug my own podcast, but that's cheesy and no one here likes dragonlance anyway.

Matchstick
07-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Retronauts
1UP Yours
The 1UP Show
1UP FM (I really like it, but I'm a fan of Nick)
GFW Radio
The Full Moon Show
Savage Lovecast
Kojima Productions (although it's not active any more)
Bungie Studios (although I'm not a huge fan of it, way too much testosterone a lot of the time and now that Halo 3 is out, they're not really talking much about anything I care about)
Top Secret (The Bionic Commando Podcast)
SModcast (View Askew Productions)
KOXM

Loki
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Retronauts, This American Life, Into the Score, and... that's it?

Sanagi
07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
*does the fishstick*

(* (http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/sacksminnelli-disease))

Calorie Mate
07-18-2008, 01:03 PM
1up Yours, GFW Radio, and Retronauts. Honestly, I want some non-gaming ones, but can't seem to find any that make me like it enough ot subscribe.

Like Shivam said, 1up FM is really not doing it for me.

Ben1842
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Retronauts
1UP Yours
The 1UP Show
1UP FM (but I'm kinda fading on this one)
GFW Radio
1UP Review Crew
Legendary Thread (although it feels kinda empty without Sean now :( )
Cute with Chris
TWIT
The Daily Giz Wiz
Mac Break Weekly
Net@Nite
Munchcast
Windows Weekly
The Digg Reel
Diggnation
The Totally Rad Show
Downloadable Content, The Penny Arcade Podcast
Wired's Game|Life Podcast
You Look Nice Today

and recently I started listening to some NPR Podcasts

Wait...Wait..Don't Tell Me
This American Life

Ben1842
07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
*does the fishstick*

(* (http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/sacksminnelli-disease))

I'm glad you told me because other wise I would have never known. lol

Balrog
07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Talking Time should have its own podcast where we throw a group of posters in and they fight to the death.

Episode 1: Brickroad and Tomm discuss snaking, double meat and the finer points of Mega Man

May I suggest the name: Tyrant Cagematch.

Excitemike
07-18-2008, 01:22 PM
"My other podcast is a Porsche"

ajr82
07-18-2008, 01:23 PM
The 1up podcasts (I like 1upFM, but they do need to do something to differentiate themselves for IUpYours)

CBC Radio 3 Megafeed (Canadian independant music)

Quirks & Quarks (CBC science show)

Science Talk by Scientific American

Battlestar Galactica

Giant Bombcast

The Onion Radio News

Podictionary (Etymology of various words)

CBC News at Six

Sanagi
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm glad you told me because other wise I would have never known. lol
I generally put those reference links there as a courtesy for my cyberstalker.

standing8
07-18-2008, 01:42 PM
*does the fishstick*

I'm gonna do the fishstick after my SNARE! classes.

Adrenaline
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I'll agree 1Up FM isn't that great, but I really like Backlog so far. We'll see how it develops.

I didn't mention Retronauts because I thought it was a given, but whatever, Retronauts.

Brickroad
07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't listen to any podcasts ever, but I would listen to one where Tomm and I just bitched at each other about whatever.

reibeatall
07-18-2008, 02:01 PM
i should plug my own podcast, but that's cheesy and no one here likes dragonlance anyway.

Dude, hook a brother up. My friend's starting a DL campaign and I want to soak myself in it so I can properly RP my guy(ohh god that's nerdy).

shivam
07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
www.dlcanticle.com, though we haven't had an ep in a while due to technical issues.

Swordian
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
1up Yours
Retronauts
1up FM
Player One
Top Secret - The Bionic Commando Podcast

Ample Vigour
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Fast Karate for the Gentleman (http://daveandjoel.com/) is really the only one I take time out to listen to.

Ethan
07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I'll have to check out Radio Lab. Seems pretty good.

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Most of the 1up podcasts, minus Sports and GFW. I also like the Penny Arcade casts (those guys talk funny), and recently the D&D walkthrough podcast with the PA & PvP guys. The seemingly defunct Ask Mike mini-cast over at Rifftrax was good while it lated.

And that's it! I'm actually surprised I keep up with as many as I do, since I'm not a huge fan of talk radio in the first place. Are there any really funny ones out there? I'd be really into a John Hodgman podcast.

Calorie Mate
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Talking Time should have its own podcast where we throw a group of posters in and they fight to the death.

I've thought about pitching this idea for awhile, but I can't really justify going through the motions because it would either a) be some of us talking about games and doing absolutely nothing new from every other podcast, or b) be about stuff going on in the forum, which, duh, you can read the forums for. Seems entirely pointless (and yet, my heart longs for it...).

Pseudonym
07-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd be really into a John Hodgman podcast.

You tried the Little Gray Book Lectures podcasts? There's not too many, but I was very happy for about a week there.

Zef
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Most of the 1up podcasts, minus Sports and GFW.

Take out Legendary Thread too and this is me, since I'm still not convinced that GFW doesn't just talk about PC games. Since I have zero interest in PC gaming, the ratio of noise-to-signal in GFW should better skew towards noise for me to try it :p

1up Yours, GFW Radio, and Retronauts. Honestly, I want some non-gaming ones, but can't seem to find any that make me like it enough ot subscribe.

Um, the Harvard Business Review video podcast? :o It's not exactly an easy pick for the treadmill or the gym bike, though.

I'll be mining this thread for suggestions. I'd especially like World News podcasts, science-stuff, and movie podcasts. And on that last subject, since my only experience is with 1up's stuff, a similar approach would be great.

The 1up podcasts (I like 1upFM, but they do need to do something to differentiate themselves for IUpYours)

Yeah. Just being a profanity-free, alcohol-free version of 1up Yours won't cut it much longer for the Kid's Table. I liked it when EGM Live had Shoe and Jennifer, because it had an actual structure which gave it a tighter focus, but that's long in the past now. I like the Backlog, especially since I can (so far) relate to their subject, but I'll probably lose interest in it in a hurry once they tackle games I don't care about.

Ethan
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm actually surprised I keep up with as many as I do, since I'm not a huge fan of talk radio in the first place.

The talk program talent pool is suddenly a lot bigger and more diverse with podcasts than it was with radio, because there's a whole legion of people who have interesting things to say, but don't have the skills to give a Clear Channel producer a spectacular rusty trombone.

Matchstick
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
The talk program talent pool is suddenly a lot bigger and more diverse with podcasts than it was with radio, because there's a whole legion of people who have interesting things to say, but don't have the skills to give a Clear Channel producer a spectacular rusty trombone.

Or even a mediocre one, in some cases.

shivam
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
well, the thing about podcasts is that the podcaster doesnt need to worry about who his audience is and what they're paying the advertiser, so he can say what he wants about whatever topic he wants. Or she.

The point is, now i can find a targetted podcast for every hobby i have, and i'm happy to listen to a guy talk for an hour or two about robotech, for instance, as opposed to the mortgage crisis on npr.

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree with the diversity being a good thing, but a lot of these tend to come of as Strong Bad's College Radio rule: "Dead air, um, dead air". Which is where the slickly produced stuff has an edge. As well as humor - I cannot stress enough how important humor is to getting me to listen to someone talk for an hour. It could be a podcast about chocolate french toast sex with free money but if the person's not making with the ha-ha I will lose interest.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Podcasts

Buzz Out Loud
This Week in Tech
Daily Giz Whiz
Macbreak Weekly
Gadgettes

Gaming

1up Yours
1up FM (not as good as EGM* Live)
Retronaughts
GFW Radio (I haven't played a PC game in over a decade)
Joystiq Podcast (decent)
Downloadable Content (Penny Arcade Podcast)
Video game take-out
CAGcast (seldomly)
IGN Podcasts (Nintendo Voice-chat and Playstation Beyond, sometimes)
1up Specials
1up Review Crew

Other
You Look Nice Today
This American Life

Those are just be current subscriptions. I have about another 20+ I have formerly been subscribed to that I'll add in sometimes when I'm out. I listen to podcasts while I drive, do chores, or play single-player non-narrative games (i.e. racing, Super Stardusk, Space Invaders Extreme)and while I'm trying to fall asleep (I have wicked insomina) so I need a lot of content.

Adrenaline
07-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Take out Legendary Thread too and this is me, since I'm still not convinced that GFW doesn't just talk about PC games. Since I have zero interest in PC gaming, the ratio of noise-to-signal in GFW should better skew towards noise for me to try it :p

How many times do you have to be told GFW Radio doesn't talk about PC games much before you believe it?

Over half of the show is not related to specific games at all.

sraymonds
07-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Lunch with Bobo and Jay (http://boboandjay.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-04-27T15%3A30%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7)

OH MY GOD it's so terrible.

Zef
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
How many times do you have to be told GFW Radio doesn't talk about PC games much before you believe it?

This one last time, it seems!

I'll add it to my iTunes feed when I get back home.

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Yes, but that leaves less than half that is. Zzz.

ringworm
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Anyone who doesn't listen to GFW Radio is an idiot. There. I said it.

It is quite simply the best podcast on the 1up network on a very consistent basis.

onimaruxlr
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
I listen to all the 1up stuff except Legendary Thread and Sports Anomaly. I will sometimes listen to those but I have to be really...really bored.
Giant Bombcast

I love Top Secret: the Bionic Commando podcast. It's so good, you won't even think it's an official developer podcast! Yes that is a backhanded insult at other developer podcasts I've listened to that are nothing more than glorified commercials! This excludes the Bungie podcast which is more of a behind-the-scenes hijinks podcast than just a commercial. But still not good as Top Secret

That being said I also listen to Kojima's podcasts. It's interesting because he usually seems kind of measured and cautious about what he says in the written interviews and such but he's a lot more relaxed here.

Kevin Smith's Smodcast basically gives me an excuse to never watch his movies again. It's exactly what I expect from his movies. The low intensity Brian Posehn-esque tones of Scott Mosier make an excellent contrast to Silent Bob's animated and "colorful" stories.

The amount of good videogame podcasts to bad ratio is pretty amazing compared to...like...everything else. Like the comic book podcasts I've listened to? Oy vey

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
It is quite simply the best podcast on the 1up network on a very consistent basis.

Show your work.

Everyone says GFW is great, but nobody says why.

Also, listening to Shawn for too long kind of makes me want to hit him. He's funny in short bursts, but listening to his griefing stories makes me glad I don't online game (on anything other than Wii).

Ben1842
07-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Video game take-out

You sir, are a great man. :)

Calorie Mate
07-18-2008, 04:14 PM
The thing about GFW is, you should read descriptions before downloading. The latest one, for example, was an E3 podcast - of course it's going to be mainly about PC games, so I'll skip it. Most weeks, though, it's either a) completely off topic for the most part, or b) them ripping into some PC game and is funny anyway. I have no interest in Age of Conan or some dumb online shooter, but do I want ot hear hilarious stories about them dickign around in them (that usually lead to more off-topic stuff anyway)? Hell yes.

As with most podcasts, the people make or break it, and the GFW regulars all consistently have their moments.

shivam
07-18-2008, 04:18 PM
i love shawn elliot. He's incredibly intelligent and insightful, and has a lot of literary history to back him up. He looks at games with an academic's eye, and that brings a fresh, context-rich perspective to the table.

ringworm
07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
The thing about GFW is, you should read descriptions before downloading. The latest one, for example, was an E3 podcast - of course it's going to be mainly about PC games, so I'll skip it.
And even that isn't foolproof. The last E3 podcast, for example, was with some Dawn of War guy, but they really didn't spend all that much time talking about it. Shawn spent a lot of the time talking about his surreal demo for Postal 3, and most of the conversation revolved around the actual process of giving or receiving a demo from the journalists' side or from the developers' side.

Calorie Mate
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Shivam and ringworm both reminded me of the other awesome thing about GFW: Shawn Elliot and the crew often get into that deeper stuff about being in the industry, the problems with the system, looking at all sorts of things fro the journalists/developer's side, etc....I find it really interesting. It really is a great podcast.

Also: I want Jeff Green to be my dad, too.

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I do like Jeff Green a lot. He could serve as the poster boy for the Affable Everyman.

i love shawn elliot. He's incredibly intelligent and insightful, and has a lot of literary history to back him up. He looks at games with an academic's eye, and that brings a fresh, context-rich perspective to the table.

Oh, no doubt, and when he talks about that kind of thing I generally enjoy and agree with what he has to say. It's his fucking asshole online persona that gets me. I realize I'm alone in that, but it's a legitimate thing to be put off by. Like I said - he's a distillate of the mindset that keeps me from playing games online.

shivam
07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
i agree with you. no, seriously.

i asked him once how it was possible to be both incredibly intelligent and critical, and at the same time a complete bully and douchebag. It amazes me how quickly and fluidly he swaps between the two opposing persona; it's like he's an ikaruga or something.

i have a lot of respect for him, nonetheless.

Stiv
07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Usual 1up suspects, BBC Global News, BBC Radio 4 "Best of Today" (angry British people yell at their politicians), Science Friday, NPR Movies. I used to listen to the Ebert and Roper podcast back when Roger Ebert wasn't a hideous cyborg.

If this GFW thing is so good I guess I might want to listen to it!

Ganietzsche
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Retronauts is the only gaming podcast that I tend to listen to. Otherwise, it's all about the free music:

Detroit JazzStage
IndieFeed - Hip Hop
Stones Throw
Solid Steel
Podington Bear

I don't tend to get many podcasts, mainly because I spend that time streaming live radio (http://www.wfmu.org/).

Animate Nihilist
07-18-2008, 07:50 PM

*start flame* Shawn Elliot is a pretentious ass and a faux academic. Listening to him talk about anything remotely serious for more than two minutes makes me want to rip his throat out. *end flame*

Adrenaline
07-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh, no doubt, and when he talks about that kind of thing I generally enjoy and agree with what he has to say. It's his fucking asshole online persona that gets me. I realize I'm alone in that, but it's a legitimate thing to be put off by. Like I said - he's a distillate of the mindset that keeps me from playing games online.

I would see your point if most of his griefing was mean and obstructing people from playing instead of just talking with silly voices.

ajr82
07-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Absolutely. His 1up blog is great, I think he's the best writer 1up has.

shivam
07-18-2008, 08:44 PM
*start flame* Shawn Elliot is a pretentious ass and a faux academic. Listening to him talk about anything remotely serious for more than two minutes makes me want to rip his throat out. *end flame*

with a masters degree.

Wolfgang
07-18-2008, 08:47 PM
his griefing was mean and obstructing people from playing

I can't remember any specific examples of this past the online GTA stuff he talked about on a recent 1up Yours, but he's told stories of his bullying that came off as pretty horrifying.

Ethan
07-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm a little surprised that only 2 or 3 of you listen to the CAGcast, though I suppose their tastes have almost no overlap with these parts. (I'm almost done with the E3 episode, and there hasn't even been a single mention of MM9!) I like it because I think they're entertaining personalities with good voices and they put on a really solid show, but it's also true that I put almost no value in their opinions. (Not like the Retronauts crew, whom I would follow off the edge of a cliff when it comes to recommendations of any game that's not a JRPG.) I subscribe to the CAGcast more for the zany, oft-scatological stories of the hosts' personal lives, honestly.

Question: I like Retronauts, but I HATE HATE HATE 1UP Yours, and have only made it through about 30 minutes of any 1UP FM episode before shutting it off. I also don't own a Windows PC and haven't since 1993 or so. Should I even bother trying GFW radio?

onimaruxlr
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Should I even bother trying GFW radio?

1) Do you think this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gMbsZU83ajc) is super awesome?
2) Do you like the Simpsons? Jeff=Homer Ryan=Maggie Shawn=Bart and before he left Sean=Lisa*
3) Can you listen to discussion about games you might not be personally interested in and glean anything from them on the grounds of purely intellectual (game design) or entertainment (Amusing anecdotes that are not mired in in-game mechanics and thus can be understand by people other than the nerds who play them)?
4) Do you wish your dad would cry out in his sleep "YOU'RE NOT THE LORD OF THE RINGS!"?
5) A Japanese RPG titled "Tender Rondo: The Sensitive Saga" is a videogame that you would play, but only out of morbid curiosity and not genuine interest?

If you answer yes to any three of these five questions you should try listening to GFW Radio

(I guess Bobito is like Otto and Anthony is kind of like Millhouse)

reibeatall
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
W-E-T-P-E-T-S

ajr82
07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
W-E-T-P-E-T-S

scorpi-onns

AJR
07-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh god, I've never been a PC gamer and I still listen to GFW every week. It's just that good.

Animate Nihilist
07-18-2008, 11:29 PM
with a masters degree.

Point taken, but I still find him really annoying.

Matchstick
07-18-2008, 11:44 PM
...oft-scatological stories...

That guarantees I'll never listen to it.

estragon
07-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Radio Lab

This is the best podcast.

wahoninja
07-19-2008, 06:45 AM
GFW Radio is my favorite podcast (I don't play PC games either), but I actually listen to ALL 1up's podcasts. I don't play sports games, but the absurd energy of Sports Anomaly makes me laugh a bunch. I don't play MMO's, but y'know, Jeff Green.

Non-game related, I love CHUD--an often-times gut stabbingly funny movie podcast; a buddy a mine has realized he's incapable of driving while listening to it. Smodcast is also super great.

Ample Vigour
07-19-2008, 07:33 AM
What is wrong with TT that the labor of love of two of Philadelphia's favorite sons goes unremarked and unloved?

Thinaran
07-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff has a podcast?

I listen to 1UP Yours, Retronauts, and I've been listening to 1UP FM too, mostly for the excellent backlog segment. Don't think I'll get the next episodes though.

Ample Vigour
07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff has a podcast?

>:[pearls before swine i tells you

Adrenaline
07-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been listening to 1UP FM too, mostly for the excellent backlog segment. Don't think I'll get the next episodes though.

Psychonauts is gooooood.

Thinaran
07-19-2008, 07:56 AM
I disagree.

Adrenaline
07-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I THOUGHT WE WERE POD-PEOPLE

Thinaran
07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
A new meme is approaching.

Command?

standing8
07-19-2008, 09:08 AM
and I've been listening to 1UP FM too, mostly for the excellent backlog segment. Don't think I'll get the next episodes though.

SotC backlog on 1upFM has been absolutely fantastic. I never played Psychonauts so I don't think I'll be as into backlog as SotC but I'm gonna still listen. It seems the general consensus on FM is it's lame but I have to disagree. Suttner and Kohler are hilarious and work well together. I like the rotating first segment guest host which keeps it fresh. Interview with some developer. Sharkey's top 5, and I enjoy the insert disc with the new staffers and then backlog which is great. It's become my 2nd favorite 1up Podcast.

Oh I forgot to mention iFanboy. I listen to that.

ringworm
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
This is the best podcast.
Yes. I just wish they'd do more shows. They've been quiet for awhile and the one they put up this last week was a repeat.

Wolfgang
07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
What is wrong with TT that the labor of love of two of Philadelphia's favorite sons goes unremarked and unloved?

Me and that other guy with the Bionicle avatar?

chocogaz
07-19-2008, 03:02 PM
My favorite 5 podcasts are GFW Radio, 1up Yours, Retronauts, Anime World Order, and Fast Karate for the Gentleman.

I also have my own podcast called the OSMcast (http://www.osmcast.com/) (mostly video games, anime, and the occasional movie) so there you go

Ample Vigour
07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
A new meme is approaching.

Command?

Embrace.

bobservo
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
SotC backlog on 1upFM has been absolutely fantastic. I never played Psychonauts so I don't think I'll be as into backlog as SotC but I'm gonna still listen. It seems the general consensus on FM is it's lame but I have to disagree. Suttner and Kohler are hilarious and work well together. I like the rotating first segment guest host which keeps it fresh. Interview with some developer. Sharkey's top 5, and I enjoy the insert disc with the new staffers and then backlog which is great. It's become my 2nd favorite 1up Podcast.

I really like the backlog segment of 1UP FM since the world of modern gaming seems to have this annoying GEEZ LATE TO THE PARTY HUH attitude if you admit to playing anything two weeks after its release date.

less_than_zero
07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Bat Segundo

http://www.edrants.com/segundo/

Click on the archive link for (almost) all of his interviews; the latest two have yet to be archived.

DANoWAR
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM

I like Dragonlance. Yet I don't know what you could talk about for thirty minutes straight...

Anyway, you guys just lighted a fire in me. I tried to download an episode of 1up Yours (as an entry level, because the only PODcast I listen to is Retronauts).

Is this right that the earliest 1up Yours is from June 1st 2007? Or are there earlier ones that I just don't see?

shivam
07-21-2008, 10:14 AM
you don't want the early eps of 1upyours.

DANoWAR
07-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I may be very brave to ask this, but: Why?

ringworm
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I am daring to ask this: Why?
Because they aren't very good.

DANoWAR
07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, when do they start to get good?

(And why aren't the early ones any good? *nag*)

shivam
07-21-2008, 10:40 AM
different casts, didnt know what they were doing, etc.

just grab a random one from the middle of the list somewhere.

Zef
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Say what you will about early 1up Yours, but I like (and miss) Jon Davison and I enjoy the episodes where he comes back as a guest.

shivam
07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
that's not early, dude.

early is Jane. I love jane to death, and look up to her as a writer, but her 1up Yours podcasts were clinical in the extreme.

Ethan
07-21-2008, 05:56 PM
OK, so I just listened to an episode (http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2006/04/21) of WNYC Radio Lab and it BLEW MY FUCKING MIND.

I would describe this show with an equation: [This American Life] + [science] + [more production value] - [host who slurs all his words and speaks whole sentences as if they're fragments] = [R. J. MacReady-caliber awesome].

onimaruxlr
07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
OK, so I just listened to an episode (http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2006/04/21) of WNYC Radio Lab and it BLEW MY FUCKING MIND.

But they NEVER make new ones. And a lot of times will do one of his boring bullshit music-only episodes that I furiously delete from Itunes in a disappointed rage. But if it did have anything that resembled regularity, it'd be a real contender.

standing8
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM

I would describe this show with an equation: [This American Life] + [science] + [more production value] - [host who slurs all his words and speaks whole sentences as if they're fragments] = [R. J. MacReady-caliber awesome].

It's so good. I listen to old episode all the time. I love the one about Space, and the few episodes about Time. One episode is called "Beyond Time" and the other titled simply "Time". The production value on this show is off the charts. I think that's why this next season is taking so long to complete. I've been waiting for it for months now. I'm getting tired of these 10 minute episodes they've been releasing as of late.

Side note:

This weeks This American Life was fantastic. The story of the guy that hit the girl with his car had me totally enthralled. Highly recommended.

bobservo
07-21-2008, 06:54 PM
But they NEVER make new ones. And a lot of times will do one of his boring bullshit music-only episodes that I furiously delete from Itunes in a disappointed rage. But if it did have anything that resembled regularity, it'd be a real contender.

I believe the new ones are on the real radio once every month. The podcasts are just selections from the Radiolab archives.

Red Hedgehog
07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't listen to any podcasts ever, but I would listen to one where Tomm and I just bitched at each other about whatever.

I still think not listening to Retronauts should be a punishable offense. Maybe not, say, banning, but maybe you get a thread made about you where everyone points and laughs at you.

Calorie Mate
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
As much as I love it at times, Retronauts can have pacing problems and I generally only listen to it if I'm at least mildly interested in the subject. (I don't like the seemingly arbitrary points where the music comes in, and then the conversation continues on the same trend afterwards. I like the idea of music giving us a break, but it often kills the flow of the on-going conversation and generally irritates me.)

Stephen
07-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll toss out some other good stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

The Fantasy Focus: Baseball (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544461) podcast is so good I listen everyday even though I don't play fantasy baseball. I got hooked on the FF: Football podcast last year and stuck with it because I like the hosts so much.

I also really like The BS Report with Bill Simmons. Simmons is the same guy in his podcast that he is in his columns (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index), so you probably know if you'll like it or not already. The episodes with Adam Corolla are classic.

The Classic Tales Podcast (http://www.theclassictales.com/podcast.shtml) is exactly what it sounds like--audio versions of classic short stories. The reader, BJ Harrison, has a pleasing voice and he's covered everything from H.P Lovecraft to P.G Wodehouse (and even a few authors that don't go by their initials).

I also really like In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/). This one is smart British people discussing some sort of interesting topic. Even when it's obvious I'm not educated enough to follow along, I still enjoy listening to British accents.

Finally, This Week in Science (http://www.twis.org/) is a good podcast for people with a casual interest in science.

Non-game related, I love CHUD--an often-times gut stabbingly funny movie podcast; a buddy a mine has realized he's incapable of driving while listening to it.

CHUD is greater than Shifty Peterson's multicolor coat. Here's a tip for anyone trying CHUD out for the first time: Start at the beginning. There are lots of inside jokes.

ringworm
07-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I believe the new ones are on the real radio once every month. The podcasts are just selections from the Radiolab archives.
That makes sense. This American Life has a lot of problems getting funding to support giving out the podcasts for free. They have to ask specifically for donations to do it.

Of course I'd totally give money to WBEZ Chicago to provide it (like I do for TAL), but they don't ever ask.

Balrog
12-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I got an iPod with a larger capacity for Christmas so I'm on the prowl for some new stuff.

I've already got plenty of video game themed stuff but I'm looking for a good anime podcast and some sophomoric stuff like the YuGiOh abridged version. HALP PLZ

Reinforcements
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I've recently started listening to Geeknights (http://www.frontrowcrew.com), a podcast featuring two nerds from RIT who talk about everything from video games to anime to science to RPGs. I like it.

The Penny Arcade podcasts are also good, but infrequent.

Ethan
12-29-2008, 09:32 AM
The new season of Radio Lab has started. Get immediately.

And maybe you don't need more geek culture podcasts, but This Week In Tech is always a safe standby.

If you are into politics, first thing you should reach for is Common Sense with Dan Carlin. He's remarkably evenhanded about almost every issue and he sounds exactly like Curtis Armstrong from Better Off Dead and Terrible Thunder Lizards. Great show. And if you are still into politics, second thing you should get is Don't Worry About The Government (http://dontworry.tv), which is incidentally produced by me.

I've lightened up on 1UP Yours lately. I used to hate it. I think maybe when GFW Radio died, 1UY absorbed a little whiff of its escaping soul.

Posaune
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Are you sure it isn't the return of John Davison.

widdershins
12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Are you sure it isn't the return of John Davison.

John is arguably the best thing about that podcast, and it always makes me sad when he's not there.

Shane and Garnett irritate me, but I get the feeling I'm not alone on that here, so I won't needlessly dwell on it.

uphc
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm a little surprised that the podcasts over at Maximum Fun (http://www.maximumfun.org/listen.htm) haven't come up yet, so hey!

The Sound of Young America - A public radio show about things that are awesome (http://www.maximumfun.org/archive.htm). Jesse Thorn, America's Radio Sweetheart, interviews people about things that are specifically tailored to my tastes. Seems like it should have a smaller fanbase than it does, based on this.
Jordan, Jesse, GO! - Jesse and his friend Jordan screw around for an hour or two every week. Pithy description: college radio goes drive-time.
The Kasper Houser Comedy Podcast - might be great, but can't vouch for it myself.
The Sound of Young America - The College Years - Jordan and Jesse prior to Jesse's public radio success with TSOYA.

Balrog
12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Into the Score

I listened to the Earthbound episode today and I'm hooked. I don't think I could listen to it every day but it's really focused and well done. I'll second "Into the Score".

Levi VsRobot
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Other than 1up, the good video game podcasts include:

Giant Bomb
Player One Podcast
Gamers With Jobs

I'll also listen to the IGN podcasts or The Cagcast in a pinch. (Fun fact: Shivam has been referenced several times on IGN's Beyond and/or Game Scoop.)

shivam
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
i have? lord help me.

Levi VsRobot
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
i have? lord help me.

Yeah, the big loud guy called you "the new [name]" except I don't remember what name that was. And before that you were in anecdote he was recounting. I was like, "Hey! I fake-know that guy!"

Calorie Mate
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Other than 1up, the good video game podcasts include:

Giant Bomb
Player One Podcast
Gamers With Jobs

I'll also listen to the IGN podcasts or The Cagcast in a pinch. (Fun fact: Shivam has been referenced several times on IGN's Beyond and/or Game Scoop.)

I don't know, I like some of the guys on Giant Bomb, but I feel like it's way too much overlap for 1up Yours, and I'd rather listen to that.

Wolfgang
12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
The Penny Arcade podcasts are also good, but infrequent.

Sporadic. They were putting them out at a good clip a while back, but not so much now. I'd listen to one of those for every comic, easily, especially this one. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081231.jpg)

While I think I would wither and die if I listened to the whole podcast, I love the Sweater Friends (http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/22/sweater-friends-episode-5-the-return-of-juber-duber/) summary thing Crunchgear does. Every podcast should have a shitty Flash animated counterpart. What animals would the Retronauts be?

Levi VsRobot
12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know, I like some of the guys on Giant Bomb, but I feel like it's way too much overlap for 1up Yours, and I'd rather listen to that.

Sure, those guys go to the same events, but their perspective is different. Also, both GB and 1uy are such personality-driven shows that it almost doesn't matter what games they are covering.

Psyael
12-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Gamers With Jobs

I'd listen if I wasn't eternally unemployed.

Video Game Outsiders is a fun but always LOOOONG show about three gamers. It's very much like a 1UP Yours (complete with a very long whatcha been playin') starring completely normal people instead of New Games Journalism people. It had been going downhill a lot in the past year under the weight of Michelle and John's WoW play, but creating a new podcast just for WoW stuff and moving it all over there has helped raise the bar back up to snuff. I remember recommending it to someone here on Twitter but they were heartbroken when I mentioned that they sometimes prank call GameStops around the country for fun.

Tom VS the Flash is a fun podcast though you might need to be a comic book nerd to enjoy it. Basically, a guy reads an old, pre-Crisis Flash story pretty deadpan and points out all the political incorrectness and odd stuff about it. He was reading JLA for a while, but switched to Barry Allen era Flash.

Search Engine by CBC is one of the better tech podcasts around. It very much "gets" tech stuff and internet memes without being so insider that it would be completely alien for normal radio. It was originally a CBC Radio One show that got taken off the air, but was popular enough that the host has continued the podcast completely on his own, and aside from fewer interview segments and a few less call-ins (which might be a good thing), the quality is still there.

BBC Radio 5Live has a podcast for Mark Kermode's Film Reviews segments on the Simon Mayo show. I like Kermode as a reviewer, though he obviously is following the British release calendar and so he may review films you've never heard of, or sometimes review big US films months after they were released here.

KCRW's Left, Right, & Center is US politics, without shoutyness most of the time. Sometimes it will get a bit loud, particularly when Tony Blankley and the others disagree on something that sounds suspiciously like Communism or government welfare. And the definitions might be a little out of wack for Red State America (the Centrist moderator, for example, is particularly unhappy with the idea of employment being practically a requirement for receiving medical care in our current insurance system.) But I've found that this board is very left wing so it'll probably bother nobody here.

CBC's Ideas is probably the most intellectual podcast you can find in North America until Hawking starts one. Topics range from tongue-in-cheek debates over mundane issues (Does Canada need it's own unique culture to be accepted at the big kids table of nations?) to heated philosophical discussions about serious issues (listening to John Bolton argue with Mia Farrow about whether the international community should intervene in Darfur.)

BBC Radio 4's Start the Week with Andrew Marr is a bit like the This Week in Time show mentioned above, but with a much more current bent. I don't really enjoy it too much though, as many times the topics are about things I don't care about. Broadcasting House, also from Radio 4, is a more entertaining (IMO) Sunday show that gravitates between entertainment and seriousness, with interviews and reporting segments sliced between people reading headlines out of London's Sunday papers.

The rest of my podcasts are pretty niche and a lot of them are travel related. Unless you're a cult-like follower of the Disney company or the Nevada casino business, you won't find much interest in them.

wahoninja
01-02-2009, 10:12 AM
You hear the Gamers With Jobs the other week that had ol' Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott on? Maaaaan, it was fucking torture, if only because it reminded me how much I miss those two together on a regular podcast.

Psyael
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I will make an exception for that and am downloading it immediately. I would even listen to some terrible Harry Potter podcast if it had Jeff Green show up.

Balrog
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Listening to the FFT episode of "Into the Score". Parish's interview with Sakimoto gets a shout out.

Sanagi
02-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Stephen Fry has a podcast. It is unsurprisingly brilliant. Look him up on iTunes.

ringworm
02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
The voice Wil Wheaton uses for his elf in the latest Penny Arcade D&D podcast is hilarious.

Calorie Mate
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm a full Idle Thumbs convert now.

Stephen Fry has a podcast. It is unsurprisingly brilliant. Look him up on iTunes.

Really? What, uh, does he talk about? I guess it doesn't really matter, does it?

Sanagi
02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Really? What, uh, does he talk about? I guess it doesn't really matter, does it?
It really doesn't. But start with the one about music and dancing. Or the one about language. Those are the really marvelous ones.

Al Baron
02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
The voice Wil Wheaton uses for his elf in the latest Penny Arcade D&D podcast is hilarious.Those podcasts are probably the best advertising that Wizards could of done for 4e.

Sami
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
The WiiSpot (http://wiispot.com/) is my stopgap measure in my search for a good Wii podcast, although they lean too heavily onto the "hardcore" type, talking about games like MadWorld, House of the Dead and The Conduit, the whole works. But they are only two guys, so they don't realistically have the resources to try everything out there, and they're doing a nice job on what they talk about, with a good vibe going.

Merus
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm a full Idle Thumbs convert now.

The song last week (http://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbsthealbum/chrisremo_alettertoedge.mp3) was fantastic.

Well, in the latest one he starts off by thanking his hosting company and then explaining why open source is important, and then launching into a discussion of language while apologising for the fact that he's going to sound like a twat. Oh Mr. Fry, you know I don't mind at all.

Calorie Mate
02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
The song last week (http://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbsthealbum/chrisremo_alettertoedge.mp3) was fantastic.

I was a big fan of the Ballad of John Ritticello, myself. There's even a video floating around for it somewhere.

Ethan
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Radio Lab is still the best thing ever. Once every few episodes they describe some curious fact of nature in such a poetic way that I feel like I'm going to tear up, and then I sigh and drift in wistful thoughts of the transitory essence of life and the universe for a moment. It's probably about a few thousand times as good as any gaming podcast, to be perfectly honest.

I checked out the EarthBound episode of Into The Score. I like the concept and I'm impressed by the scope, but the guy needs to loosen up. It's so measured... he sounds too much like he's reading from a script. He needs to be faster and more conversational, and he needs to leave the loops playing for much longer. I guess maybe he's trying to avoid some kind of copyright entanglement that could happen if he let things really play out, but the odds of that happening are so low that he's better off giving his examples some breathing room and only heeding copyright if he gets send a C&D order.

Calorie Mate
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Radio Lab is still the best thing ever. Once every few episodes they describe some curious fact of nature in such a poetic way that I feel like I'm going to tear up, and then I sigh and drift in wistful thoughts of the transitory essence of life and the universe for a moment.

Ooh, I forgot, I started listening to this finally last week, and it is really really good! I'm sad that there are so few episodes. I've almost listened to them all already.

ringworm
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah they don't really put RadioLab on the webternets until well after it has aired on the radio. It is apparently expensive for these popular NPR shows to do podcasts. TAL can only pull it off because of asking for donations specifically to support it.

Calorie Mate
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't see why it's expensive to turn these into podcasts if they're already broadcasting them on the radio, though.

ringworm
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't see why it's expensive to turn these into podcasts if they're already broadcasting them on the radio, though.
It's the hosting/bandwidth costs.

Ethan
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, the companies behind these things are big enough that they don't get bandwidth-as-sponsorship handouts like TWiT or something. It costs them tens of thousands, I believe.

Calorie Mate
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Good lord, I didn't realize it was so much.

Ethan
02-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Ira Glass was doing these little fundraising drives for the This American Life podcast and I think he said they pay $150K a year just for their megatubes real estate. Obviously that show is an outlier, but it still gives an idea of the cost. It helps explain why UGO couldn't afford all of the 1UP network as it was, and emphasizes just how remarkable it was that Ziff kept backing the 1UP Show for as long as they did.

And the dumb thing is that these bandwidth costs are basically just fabricated by these providers. The real world cost of bandwidth is way, way lower due to how much dormant bandwidth potential there is in this country, but the price-fixing is too ingrained to go away.

Sami
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Wouldn't it be really, really easy to make a torrent file of the podcast?

McClain
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't it be really, really easy to make a torrent file of the podcast?

I don't think that would jive with iTunes, which is how most of us get it.

I listen to WAY too many podcasts. I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sure most of these have come up:
-1up Yours (sorry, ListenUp)
-Retronauts
-This American Life
-Extra Life Radio
-Savage Love
-NPR story of the day
-Onion Radio
-Radio Lab

I subscribe to Rebel FM and Geekbox, mostly to support the former Ziff folks, but I haven't been listening to them much. I used to get LoveLine but they stopped putting up the "best of" and now just play the first ten minutes, which is of course the WORST part of any show...

Captain McAwesome Pants
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
- I listen to everything on 1Up except Sports Anomaly and Legendrary Thread. The other obvious ones too; Geekbox, Rebel FM, and Robert Ashley's show A Life Well Wasted.

- I catch John Davison's What They Play podcast, even though I'm not really their target audience.

- I listen to Gamers With Jobs, and Player1 on occasion.

- I also listen to The Video Game Outsiders, which I'm a little surprised not many people have brought up here. Its three people (two dudes, one hot chick (http://www.videogameoutsiders.com/images/michelle.jpg)) who aren't really in the gaming industry, and its usually a pretty fantastic show with pretty good discussion. They may seem a little "ignorant" to some things, but that's sort of their gimmick, so give them a chance.

- Pop Outsiders is a migraine inducing podcast featuring the chick from VGO and her sister making fun of pop culture. I listen to it when there's nothing else out there.

- Gamespot's Hotspot. Go ahead, make fun of me.... :(

Adrenaline
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
- Gamespot's Hotspot. Go ahead, make fun of me.... :(

I finally unsubscribed when Vinny stopped hosting. In less than a year they lost every single person from the site that I liked. Brian's fine I guess.

McClain
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh, and I used to listen to Infendo Radio before Scott left and took all of the fun with him.

Master-J
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Radio Lab and This American Life: are the best things I've discovered in the last six months; I love them.

The Sound of Young America: I've found this interview show -- it features a different painter, musician/band, author, comic, podcaster, or otherwise-awesome-artist every week -- to be an awesome source of reading material and music-that-I-would-never-have-heard-of-otherwise-but-pretty-much-without-fail-end-up-loving. It also directed me towards www.brandonbird.com, which features an inspirational painting of a Tyrannosaurus Rex riding a sperm whale while fighting a giant squid. And that is, frankly, amazing.

Finally You Look Nice Today
Thank you. I'm doing the fishstick right now.

Ethan
03-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I posted an episode of my podcast last night that I think went particularly well. We've been trying to work out the best length and the best number of things to cover, and I think we're onto something.

http://www.dontworry.tv/node/76

It's really weird how your manner changes when you've gotten used to recording yourself and listening back to it. I've started to pick up on weird vocal quirks I have that I didn't know about, and I think I'm just more aware of my own voice in general now. One of my friends who's always on it says it has completely changed his style of arguing, even when he's not on mic. We're up to episode 23 by the way.

Anybody know of any good photography podcasts? I listen to Tack Sharp, which is kinda lame, and TWIP, which is only so-so. There must be something better.

Calorie Mate
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Shawn Elliot. Jeff Green. Robert Ashley. Luke Smith. N'gai Croal. (http://limelinx.com/files/59888a008ee7adc7aeac85851645a9aa)

This only got one response yesterday in the NWIOT games thread, so I thoguht I'd post it here since, y'know, people are more likely to care here. I know it's not much, all I'm lookin' for is someone else to say "Woohoo!" and "I can't wait!" with.

Wolfgang
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Totally digging the D&D podcasts with the Penny Arcade guys and Wil Wheaton. Crazy.

ringworm
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
This only got one response yesterday in the NWIOT games thread, so I thoguht I'd post it here since, y'know, people are more likely to care here. I know it's not much, all I'm lookin' for is someone else to say "Woohoo!" and "I can't wait!" with.
You know it went up last night (http://mexicutedbyhepitacos.libsyn.com/), right?

Kishi
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Shawn Elliott

I am hoping for the illest rhymes.

Adrenaline
03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I am hoping for the illest rhymes.

Sorry. They do have a nice discussion about online communication, though. N'Gai's mic was way too quiet.

Calorie Mate
03-18-2009, 05:18 PM
You know it went up last night (http://mexicutedbyhepitacos.libsyn.com/), right?

Oooooooh!

ringworm
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Sorry. They do have a nice discussion about online communication, though. N'Gai's mic was way too quiet.
And Jeff's communication sucked, and in general there were a lot of technical issues that I expect will be resolved in time. Thankfully Gamers with Jobs have pretty much perfected how to do a skype-based podcast (individual local recordings for each person and then mix them together), and once they start using their techniques this stuff will get better.

estragon
04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
I'd been tolerating RebelFM for way too long, then today I played an episode that started with them talking about someone's cat having a disgusting bowel movement and Arthur talking into the microphone with his mouth full of food and I had to delete both the episode and the feed from my iTunes.

Every time I listened to it since Nick Suttner left, I just felt the overwhelming stench of a disgusting freshman dorm room crawling all over my body, and each episode became progressively more rank. I'm sure there's a market for that particular odor, but it's not for me.

It's kind of sad, because I liked 1upFM quite a bit. But it's pretty much become the rancid evil twin of what it used to be. It was a bit depressing watching them slowly give up any modicrum of dignity they had as they were unable to cope with the freedom of no longer being corporate and threw all restraint out the window until it became completely unlistenable.

Best of luck, RebelFM.

Willm
04-01-2009, 06:42 AM
I'd been tolerating RebelFM for way too long, then today I played an episode that started with them talking about someone's cat having a disgusting bowel movement and Arthur talking into the microphone with his mouth full of food and I had to delete both the episode and the feed from my iTunes.

Every time I listened to it since Nick Suttner left, I just felt the overwhelming stench of a disgusting freshman dorm room crawling all over my body, and each episode became progressively more rank. I'm sure there's a market for that particular odor, but it's not for me.

It's kind of sad, because I liked 1upFM quite a bit. But it's pretty much become the rancid evil twin of what it used to be.

Best of luck, RebelFM.

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. I used to like 1UPFM and I was a fan of Anthony, but I haven't bothered to listen to RebelFM for a while now.

I've also been tuning in less and less to ListenUp, which makes me sad considering that 1UP Yours was my favorite podcast for a long time. I'm sure that David Ellis is a great guy, but I really don't like him on podcasts. Whenever he makes fun of Garnett it comes off less as playful ribbing (like John, or even Shane) and more of being a confrontational jerk.

Ostrich
04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Anthony just seems really out of it every time I listen to RebelFM. I haven't had much of an interest since about episode four or five, but I thought it was just me.

Meanwhile, the first episodes of Good Grief were pretty good. Though I haven't listened to the last couple though so that could be subject to change.

estragon
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Meanwhile, the first episodes of Good Grief were pretty good. Though I haven't listened to the last couple though so that could be subject to change.

Hmmm . .. What is this Good Grief (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172958) thing, anyway?

It's finally here! Join Tina Sanchez, Sam Kennedy, Scott Sharkey--

--and I've subscribed.

Thanks.

Adrenaline
04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Now that Phil's leaving Rebel FM, I think I'm done with it too. I'll give Good Grief a listen.

estragon
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Now that Phil's leaving Rebel FM, I think I'm done with it too.

He's leaving too?

I guess future episodes will just be Anthony and Arthur talking about farts and cat excrement while eating loud food in front of the mike or something.

rockintomordor
04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm still going to listen to RebelFM. Sometimes it's nice just to listen to people being foolish, interspersed with random video game tidbits.

Good Grief is good... but not great. Scott basically carries it, while Tina says stuff related to video games that is mostly incorrect (or so I've observed).

reibeatall
04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I really think that Arthur is the most interesting person on the podcast; it seems like he's got a lot of really intelligent things to say.

Ethan
04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm still going to listen to RebelFM. Sometimes it's nice just to listen to people being foolish, interspersed with random video game tidbits.

The CAGcast does this better.

Or maybe it doesn't, and it's just a big city Jew thing.

Balrog
04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
It took me a while to figure it out but RebelFM has nothing that I look for in a podcast. I'm generally looking for one of the following: a well researched discussion of a singular subject where I will learn something, a unique, different and interesting perspective on a subject I am familiar with, a discussion of something where distinct well-reasoned conclusions are reached or a podcast of entertaining personalities where the subject matter doesn't uh, matter. RebelFM's best shot is at the 3rd or maybe the 4th options. It just falls into the same trap as a lot of other gaming themed podcasts where it's just a bunch of dudes talking without any unique insight.

Ben1842
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Sometimes it's nice just to listen to people being foolish, interspersed with random video game tidbits.

Man have I got a podcast for you (http://www.retrowaretv.com/home/BenDereksTotallyRandomShow/tabid/243/Default.aspx). lol

wahoninja
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I dig RebelFM the most when they're completely off the rails, especially when they attempt to have serious New Games Journalism discussions. The episodes with Max Chill and the latest one with Sanders and Pinkard were the best. It always kills me when Anthony lets his nerd hang. Yup!

New podcast for me: Adam Carolla. I grew up some in Southern CA, and Loveline was my favorite thing to listen to. I didn't watch the Loveline show or Man Show at all, really. But thirteen or so years after leaving CA, I'm hearing Carolla talk in my headphones again, and I find that he's probably even more brilliant. The speed of his mind as he jumps from subject to subject (Hollywood C-list life, coffee stirrers, window blinds...) is astounding and hilarious.

ringworm
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah I've left both RebelFM and The Geekbox behind now. The recent GDC stuff aside, ListenUp has been on a short leash with me too. Garnett has basically become stupider and stupider every episode. Almost everything out of his mouth has been pure idiocy, and it gets worse each episode as he gets drunker. David Ellis and John are pretty much the only reason I even bother right now.

I've only listened to one episode of Good Grief and found that I enjoy it. Sharkey's nihilistic vulgarity is made even more amusing by Tina laughing at it in her little girl voice.

SilentSnake
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I really think I'm done with ListenUp now. Garnett seems way angrier than he used to be about things that don't necessarily deserve as much bile as he gives. There's basically no perspective on the games talked about, past or future. And they give way too much time to navel gazing industry business trends, which doesn't really matter to me. I really hate to say it, since I used to love 1up Yours, but I think it's time to move on.

Adrenaline
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
He's curmudgeonizing before our very eyes!

Wolfgang
04-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Man, I love Rudy the Undead Hound.

I'll be sad when all the PA/D&D podcasting is done.

Willm
04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah I've left both RebelFM and The Geekbox behind now. The recent GDC stuff aside, ListenUp has been on a short leash with me too. Garnett has basically become stupider and stupider every episode. Almost everything out of his mouth has been pure idiocy, and it gets worse each episode as he gets drunker. David Ellis and John are pretty much the only reason I even bother right now.

I've only listened to one episode of Good Grief and found that I enjoy it. Sharkey's nihilistic vulgarity is made even more amusing by Tina laughing at it in her little girl voice.

The GDC-wrapup episode was the last straw. Everyone was ranting about the stupidest, most inane topics, and they were so drunk that they spent five minutes straight laughing at juvenile sex jokes. Bleh. Being drunk on a podcast only works if you can keep a semblance of a coherent thought. I was still listening because of John, but I think I'll just check out the What They Play podcast for my Johnny England needs now.

Good Grief is pretty good though, and I still like to check in on the Geekbox every now and again, since I like their crew so much. And I can't miss the latest Fitch Hitch!

estragon
04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
The GDC-wrapup episode was the last straw. Everyone was ranting about the stupidest, most inane topics, and they were so drunk that they spent five minutes straight laughing at juvenile sex jokes.

The best (worst) part of that was when David Jaffe came on and talked about how only losers read reviews and all that matters is the score, and then everyone on the episode was all, "For real! I never read anything but the score either! I'm not some kind of chin stroking douchebag."

Then I realized that all the bullshit in 1up Yours/ListenUp was a feature, not a bug and that it's probably not for me.

Adrenaline
04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
It's really gotten to the point for me where it's just noise in the background, with my ears pricking up whenever John starts talking.

Al Baron
04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Man, I love Rudy the Undead Hound.

I'll be sad when all the PA/D&D podcasting is done.Again, those are probably the best corporate move Wizards/Hasbro has made with 4th Edition. Everything other move is all kinds of retarded.

Seriously, in what world is potentially not letting Amazon sell your product a good idea?

Sanagi
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Too many gaming podcasts consist of four or five guys with same-sounding voices talking about how far they got in whatever popular game they played in the last week.

Adrenaline
05-31-2009, 01:20 PM
This Trevor or Travis guy on the newest Listen UP is the dumbest man on the planet.

Ben1842
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm sad to say I'm also getting tired of Listen up. 1Up Yours used to be my favorite podcast (with Retronauts a close second), but now I find myslef bored during it and as the content gets worse it seems to get longer. The last few episodes have been like 3 hours. If it was all good content then I guess I'd be happy with that, but the way it is I could easily see cutting an hour and a half out of that.

I think I may be over the idea of 4-5 guys chillin and talking about games in general. I think Retronauts made the change at the right time for me and I guess if you had the right 4-5 people on it could be good, but right now I'm loosing interest in all the ones I used to love. (RebelFM, Geekbox etc...)

I know I kind of make a podcast that has a bunch of guys talking on it, but I feel that our podcast is much more random and silly (plus it's much shorter), so I hope it doesn't fall into that mold.

bobservo
05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
This Trevor or Travis guy on the newest Listen UP is the dumbest man on the planet.

I think that was just another case of someone getting too drunk for the show (Shoemaker seemed to feel kinda bad for the guy). I've been noticing a lot of awkward hostility on the latest ListenUPs; they should take a cue from Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs and chill out a bit--or maybe just cut out the drinking altogether. There's a certain kind of camaraderie in the aforementioned podcasts that's completely absent in ListenUP; everybody seems so ready to snipe at one another while completely ignoring what's actually being said.

The best (worst) part of that was when David Jaffe came on and talked about how only losers read reviews and all that matters is the score, and then everyone on the episode was all, "For real! I never read anything but the score either! I'm not some kind of chin stroking douchebag."

Then I realized that all the bullshit in 1up Yours/ListenUp was a feature, not a bug and that it's probably not for me.

Wasn't that the one where Jaffee was complaining about "artistic" movies (even in the mainstream sense)? That kinda made me want to never check out one of his games.

Also agreeing that John has always been the voice of reason on the show. I was totally cheering for him when he made fun of Garnett complaining about his all-expenses-paid trip to Disneyland a few weeks ago. I've got nothing against Garnett, but John really gives people perspective when they need it most.

Adrenaline
05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
The Bombcast and Idle Thumbs work because it's the same 3 or 4 guys every week. I still like Listen UP when it's Garnett, Dave, and John, because John keeps Garnett from being too wrong and Dave from being too mean, but when he's missing and the show goes for three hours, it's not an easy listen.

shivam
05-31-2009, 04:28 PM
and jesus, these marathon shows have got to stop.

bobservo
05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
The Bombcast and Idle Thumbs work because it's the same 3 or 4 guys every week. I still like Listen UP when it's Garnett, Dave, and John, because John keeps Garnett from being too wrong and Dave from being too mean, but when he's missing and the show goes for three hours, it's not an easy listen.

Yeah, John is very much the "dad" of the podcast in that he's mature and keeps everyone from getting too rowdy and/or irrational; the show really suffers when he's gone. And while I'm all for having a good time, I think the drinking is really getting out of hand on ListenUP--I don't think it reflects well on 1UP or games journalism in general (speaking as a fellow games journalist). Besides, you should probably outgrow the WOOOOO FUCK YEAH DRINKING attitude by your early 20s.

SilentSnake
05-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I like John, but he's been having more and more belligerent opinions lately too.

ringworm
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I like John, but he's been having more and more belligerent opinions lately too.
I have not noticed this. Example?

If anything I think maybe his patience for dealing with Garnett is shrinking.

SilentSnake
05-31-2009, 05:22 PM
I have not noticed this. Example?

If anything I think maybe his patience for dealing with Garnett is shrinking.

Sorry, maybe belligerent is the wrong word. More like he dismisses things a bit rashly and without context or giving a good explanation. The biggest example I can think of is his defense of his stance of casual MMOs as the future of PC gaming. It felt like he was kind of sweeping all the "hardcore" stuff under the rug and jumping off the "PC gaming is dead" nonsense to make his point. Stuff like that.

Though I haven't listened in a while, so it's possible that he's gotten better lately.

shivam
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
he's right, though, at least to an extent. The next generation of gamers are growing up with club penguin and friends as their main gaming experience. it's only natural that those games will eventually dominate.

Nobuyuki
05-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Drinking on a podcast is a bad idea in the same way that I don't want anyone to record me when I'm drunk. Listen Up is getting unlistenable because everyone seems to be going in with the thought that "we're on 1up Yours, that means we can yell and argue!" which translates into a lot of talking over eachother and derailing interesting conversations for the sake of arguing over pointless minutia.

Good Grief is entertaining if not strictly always about gaming. The mix of Sharkey and Tina on a podcast is such a bad idea that it becomes brilliant. A Life Well Wasted is really interesting and unique even if I don't often agree with the host. I really love the Penny Arcade podcasts, but it'd be nice if they were released more often. The first few Mobcast episodes have been good, mostly to hear from all the ex 1up and EGM people again.

SilentSnake
05-31-2009, 05:31 PM
he's right, though, at least to an extent. The next generation of gamers are growing up with club penguin and friends as their main gaming experience. it's only natural that those games will eventually dominate.

Oh I know he's on to something. I see commercials for Wizard 101 and Free Realms all the time now, so they are gaining ground. But it was more the tone that there is no audience for "hardcore" PC games anymore.

pence
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Last week I discovered the player one podcast through their ted woolsey interview. So far I've found that their gaming tastes skew more niche than, say, listen up, which I enjoy.

Balrog
05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Who is the guy on RebelFM that ends every sentence with the word 'actually'? That wore me out and I quit listening...

Zef
05-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I have a massive backlog of gaming podcasts to burn through (I'm only up to April, on average) but the April 3rd Listen Up actively pissed me off. There was a question about "why do you play" where one of the guests kept trying to make a point, and every single sentence out of his mouth would be met with either puns, mocking, or outright hostility. The poor guy begged Garnett to moderate his own freaking show, and what did Garnett do? He shut the guest up and dismissed his opinions as trash. I fully expected an APOLOGY the next episode, but all they said amounted to "maybe they drank a little too much" and refused to apologize to the guy they steamrolled over.

I'm giving Listen Up a chance as I catch up, but I'll probably unsubscribe pretty soon. It's one thing to have a weird podcast where everyone has a li'l bit of booze in them, it's another to scream and insult your guests because your entire party is falling-down drunk.

rockintomordor
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a massive backlog of gaming podcasts to burn through (I'm only up to April, on average) but the April 3rd Listen Up actively pissed me off. There was a question about "why do you play" where one of the guests kept trying to make a point, and every single sentence out of his mouth would be met with either puns, mocking, or outright hostility. The poor guy begged Garnett to moderate his own freaking show, and what did Garnett do? He shut the guest up and dismissed his opinions as trash. I fully expected an APOLOGY the next episode, but all they said amounted to "maybe they drank a little too much" and refused to apologize to the guy they steamrolled over.

I'm giving Listen Up a chance as I catch up, but I'll probably unsubscribe pretty soon. It's one thing to have a weird podcast where everyone has a li'l bit of booze in them, it's another to scream and insult your guests because your entire party is falling-down drunk.

Yeah, that episode sucked. I felt sorry for the guy. The NeoGAF forums were raging on him too, kind of irrationally. After listening to the specific segment again, I could see where they found fault, but they still shouldn't have handled it that way. It seemed more like a case of a few guys being bullies and everyone else kind of tagging along, or at least that's how I saw it.

Little Sampson
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Wait, Sharkey's on Good Grief? I've been missing out.

Also, I really like the Mobcast so far.

bobservo
05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
From what I'm reading on here and NeoGAF, it sounds like ListenUP is in need of an intervention.

rockintomordor
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
From what I'm reading on here and NeoGAF, it sounds like ListenUP is in need of an intervention.

What do you mean? Like, a change of cast?

Zef
05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
What do you mean? Like, a change of cast?

They could do without the alcohol, for starters. Used to be "Hey, we're having a couple of drinks because it's a relaxed podcast and we're all responsible adults, nothing wrong with livening things up a bit." Nowadays it's closer to "We're hella drunk here and hey John's eating someone's notes FUNNAY." They REALLY need to step back and cut down, because the relaxed attitude is transforming into a hostile atmosphere.

I love how Giant Bomb uses horrid energy drinks as its signature. The one where they had that sleep-inducing drink was hilarious.

bobservo
05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
They REALLY need to step back and cut down, because the relaxed attitude is transforming into a hostile atmosphere.

Yeah, we've had two guests completely hammered on ListenUP this year, along with more than a few instances of people slurring/making no sense by the end of the show. Add in all of the hostility and purposeless bickering, and you've got yourself a podcast that's incredibly uncomfortable for the listener. I enjoyed the friendly rivalries/arguments of the old 1UP Yours, but you could tell that people genuinely enjoyed each other's company despite their differences; now they seem genuinely angry with each other, whether that's the way they really feel or not (the booze obviously magnifies this). There were a lot of ugly moments on the last show, but when David Ellis started yelling at Garnett about sequels (though David was right), it really felt like they were about to start fighting physically.

I'd really love for the show to get back on track, because it used to be the highlight of the end of a long week. Maybe they should pass a bong around and record in someone's garage or something?

Nobuyuki
06-01-2009, 05:50 AM
As much as I wish sometimes for longer Retronauts with less editing I've gotta say that listening to a lot of other podcasts lately have made me appreciate what is being done with the show. It's only taken a few months of terrible ListenUPs for me to realize Parish is right.

MCBanjoMike
06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
It took me a while to figure it out but RebelFM has nothing that I look for in a podcast. I'm generally looking for one of the following: a well researched discussion of a singular subject where I will learn something, a unique, different and interesting perspective on a subject I am familiar with, a discussion of something where distinct well-reasoned conclusions are reached or a podcast of entertaining personalities where the subject matter doesn't uh, matter. RebelFM's best shot is at the 3rd or maybe the 4th options. It just falls into the same trap as a lot of other gaming themed podcasts where it's just a bunch of dudes talking without any unique insight.

You are listening to Idle Thumbs, right? Those guys have some really great insights into how games are made, plus they spend a lot of time talking about cool indie games. It helps that they're also totally fucking hilarious, as evidenced by the recent episode Shadow and Colossus (or the insanely hilarious Featuring Joe Pesci).

Drinking on a podcast is a bad idea in the same way that I don't want anyone to record me when I'm drunk. Listen Up is getting unlistenable because everyone seems to be going in with the thought that "we're on 1up Yours, that means we can yell and argue!" which translates into a lot of talking over eachother and derailing interesting conversations for the sake of arguing over pointless minutia.

When I used to listen to 1Up Yours, the attitude towards drinking didn't seem all that immature; often they would be partaking of a fine single-malt whiskey, which suggests that their motivation wasn't just to get blotto. But even before 1Up Yours ended, the attitude on the show was getting worse and based on what I'm reading here I don't have too much trouble imagining that things are out of hand. For my part, I listened to the first episode of ListenUp, but with Shane gone, one of the "nicer" voices was lost and it couldn't hold my interest.

These days, my podcast lineup consists of Idle Thumbs, Retronauts and whatever Penny-Arcade puts out (although I have yet to listen to their D&D casts). If I felt the need for another 'cast, I'd probably just start listening to the Bombcast, but right now I have too much to listen to as it is. Which, by the way, is why I'm extremely happy that Parish generally keeps the show from running over an hour and a half per episode. Edit on, you crazy diamond.

adamzap
06-01-2009, 09:07 AM
The mix of Sharkey and Tina on a podcast is such a bad idea that it becomes brilliant.

Wow, thanks for this recommendation. I just listened to the latest episode and dichotomy is amazing.

29:27 - 30:24
38:22 - 39:30
50:08 - 50:55
51:22 - 51:51

These parts of the 05/26/2009 episode were particularly enlightening.

DANoWAR
09-06-2009, 04:37 AM
So...

I want to add some "new" gaming podcasts to my playlist. By rummaging around this thread, I ran across some names. But I still have some questions.

First of all, what I already have and therefore don't need anymore is the type of "What new AAA games are coming out, which of them are you "playin' ", and what do you like or don't like about them?"

What I like:
- discussion about different topics, as in Bitmob or 1up Yours second segment "Community discussion"
- talk about features
- general higher level discussion
- talk about NICHE games (Note: Not especially games by Nich, but also a good thing)
- talk about retro/vc/etc. games
- talk about older games, meaning games older than a year
- talk about PC games, mods, maps, etc.
- talk about Indie games
- funny tangents

What I don't like:
- discussion about NPR and sales numbers, what Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is doing right/wrong
- Rebel FM (I don't know, the whole show reeks of marihuana, Anthony is always so self-deprecating, FAT PENIS)

I'm currently hooked on
ListenUp (Guilty Pleasure?)
Good Grief
Retronauts (Hell yeah!)
Bitmob (topic discussion woo!)
A Life Well Wasted (so few episodes :-/ )
at1up
Geekbox

So which of the following podcasts would you recommend me?

Gamers with Jobs
Giant Bombcast
Idle Thumbs
Out of the Game (I know, not really gaming related, but Robert Ashley)
Player One
Video Game Outsiders
What They Play

It would also help if you listen to one of them if you could summarize the diversity of topics somehow, that is if one can do that.

Bonus Questions:
When do these podcasts get "good"? Are there special, meaning very good, episodes?

Addendum:
If you can recommend another podcast not on that list, go right ahead. :-)

AJR
09-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Looking at the list of things you like, Idle Thumbs seems like the best bet. Lots of talk about PC games, gameplay mechanics, current news, and more often than not they'll go off on wild tangents. They spread their talk pretty evenly between older, more niche PC games and whatever current games they've been playing. They don't have any structure, which is a shame because it would probably reel them in a little bit, but I enjoy listening to them each week.

AJR
09-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Also; Out of the Game is fun, and I love some of the discussions they get into, but it's rarely gaming related. Giant Bombcast is great too, but they mainly stick with current, popular games, and there's no real in depth discussion. It's one of the funnier podcasts out there though.

Aleanil
09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Another podcast you might want to try is Drunken Gamers Radio (http://www.robotpanic.com/?page_id=9) - I listened to their EGM tribute episode, and it was surprisingly good enough to get me hooked. They tend to drink a bit on the show, but it's not to the Listen UP levels of sloshing and drunken bickering - plus they cover a lot of what you specified (niche, retro, older). There's a weekly Retro games segment where they dig out a classic game and review it, ranging from Atari 2600 to Intellivision to NES up to N64. There's also a weekly "Feature Presentation", which is more of an in-depth look at something in games - last week it was on Nazis in games and why they make such great villains, the week before had Trickman Terry and Sushi-X giving a strategic overview of Street Fighter 4 and their thoughts on it.

DGR is more of an every-man's podcast than an industry-type one but the mixing and audio quality is excellent. Most important to me, they're hardcore shoot 'em up fans and will actually discuss them on air once in a while, which on its own is enough to make me listen :P

Give it a shot, they have episode summaries for each one.

Austintatious
09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I love Out of the Game! Also, I think the point is that they talk about topics aside from games, so I'm fine with it. I'm surprised people even find that podcast, though. I just stumbled upon the minimalist page myself.

I'm in the same boat as far as Listen UP; it's just unpleasant to listen to drunk people get annoyed with another for two or more hours.

But hey, if anyone is looking for the opposite of that, very playful and spunky, you should listen to Retro Force Go! It's a Destructoid podcast. [quoting my blog here out of laziness] Its members arenít equipped with the knowledge or research that Retronauts exemplifies, but theyíre not too concerned about that anyway. Retro Force Go is (oddly enough) about laughing, friendship, and the love of games. And guess what? Itís extremely refreshing! The crew genuinely seems to enjoy one another, making for an immensely satisfying listen. They may not know the minutia, the dork trivia ó such as how to properly pronounce Cait Sith (itís KET-SHE) ó but honestly, while listening, I really donít give a shit.

And itís so full of energy!

So full of life!

Most of the liveliness is due to the forever cheerful and quirky Chad Concelmo. Thereís a surprising honesty in his effeminate ďBEST GAME EVAR!Ē proclamations, and even in his frequent, over-the-top laughter. Topher Cantler is also a highlight, with a deep voice thatís monotone yet quirky. He also has a simple, refreshing candor when speaking of his favorite games.

You'll be happy.

DANoWAR
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Is Drunken Gamers Radio a relatively young podcast? There are so few episodes on there, the earliest is 17.04.2009.
I'll listen into it ;-)

Retro Force Go at least looks very interesting. I'll try and listen to some ;-)

AJR
09-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I couldn't get into Retro Force Go. I guess I just find the cast annoying.

Aleanil
09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Is Drunken Gamers Radio a relatively young podcast? There are so few episodes on there, the earliest is 17.04.2009.
I'll listen into it ;-)

I think DGR just passed the 300 episode mark - I started listening in January of this year. I think their show notes and such just go back to April when they went through a major format change (from "3 guys around a table talking about news", to what it is now). If you check their posts on the site, you can find them pretty far back. (EGM tribute episode, 01/11/2009 (http://www.robotpanic.com/?p=3541))

`Hrist
09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I'll admit, I not to listen to gaming podcasts these days. It's nice to have a break on the bus when I'm otherwise immersed in gaming all day everyday.

To that end, I really enjoy Bill Simmons' B.S. Report and the BBC World News podcast. One has a guy who can make anything interesting, and the other is just a good way to keep up on news, which is something I've been bad about lately.

Back in the day, I listened to 1UP Yours, Retronauts and 1UP FM pretty religiously. Times change, I guess!

Swordian
09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
So which of the following podcasts would you recommend me?

Idle Thumbs

Player One

What They Play

Those are the 3 from your list that I listen to.

Idle Thumbs has already been covered.

Player One is a fun version of Listen Up. Every so often they do a segment called Game Club where they play a retro game for a few weeks and then discuss it, along with contributions from their forums and voicemail.

What They Play is short, usually 30 minute episodes. There is some discussion of new games, but it's mostly a discussion on gaming/parenting. A bit of a different spin than you get from the others.

dwolfe
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Idle Thumbs for sure. Honestly, download the entire backlog and start at episode 1. You'll appreciate the in-jokes later and the material isn't particularly dated (no 'this month in NPD's' or anything).

I can't recommend A Life Will Wasted, personally. It doesn't do anything for me, but the production values are incredibly high and it's popular with a lot of people, so it's worth a try. Only four episodes out, so pick the one that sounds most interesting and give it a shot.

Retroforce Go! from Destructiod is hit and miss. 100 episodes, so pick a couple on games you like. I second the comment on the sheer personable chemistry of the group, unlike the alcohol-fuelled uncomfortable stuff that's been going on in ListenUP at times.

I'll also recommend Bill Simmons' podcast, but again, pick and choose which you listen to. He makes basketball sound relatively interesting to me, which means I don't immediately delete the episode out of hand.

Econ Talk, guys. ECON TALK. almost four years of weekly backlog. It's better than multiple classes in economics, you have a large set of guests to go along with the host (I recommend Robin Hanson and Nasim Taleb for starter guests). He's even interviewed sports ticket scalpers and used/new car salesmen for the podcast at times, not just professors. Historical markets, monetary policy, game theory...oh man, is it hot in here?

Dadgum Roi
09-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I really disliked Idle Thumbs, and all of the "download them all and start from the beginning" comments are pretty damning. A podcast episode should be able to stand on its own.

Ben1842
09-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I've actually been listening to fewer and fewer podcasts lately. I used to listen to a bunch, but now I've paired down to like 5 and a few of those are on thin ice for me....

I think podcasting has a lot of potential, but they all seem to be a bit same-y right now, especially in the gaming space.

pence
09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Idle Thumbs is my Brodeo methadone. Lots of PC exclusive talk. Even though I haven't been in that world for a while, I like to hear about the smaller indie PC projects that are always showing up on Steam and other download services.

It's possible that the podcast has crawled too far up its navel with inside jokes by this point, I can't really say. But when I started listening cold around episode 10, it wasn't a problem.

DANoWAR
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
So are there particular episodes of these podcasts which stand out and are a must-listen?

And do those podcasts have a "golden age", a time where they get real good?

McClain
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I've been pruning my podcasts, as I no longer have a job where I can listen to them during the day. I cut out Rebel FM, Good Grief (never "clicked" for me), Infendo radio (got really crappy after Scott Johnson left) and Geekbox (not a computer gamer).

I agree with Listen Up getting kind of shitty. I feel like the trouble in the industry (media, not gaming) is still affecting those guys, and they are drinking too much, and it's getting way too bitter and angry. I think they need a break and maybe a recast. I like John. Maybe I should try his other podcast?

So if you like a person/group, but you just don't have time to listen to their podcast anymore, is it better to keep the subscription and not listen to it, or just delete it? What I mean is, from a podcast provider perspective, would it be better to have the number of subscribers, or is it not worth the bandwidth to have someone downloading who isn't listening regularly? I was just thinking about that as I was deleting feeds.

Kishi
09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
So are there particular episodes of these podcasts which stand out and are a must-listen?

And do those podcasts have a "golden age", a time where they get real good?

GFW Radio was always great, but I remember the latter half of 2007 being kind of amazing. I've listened to a lot of those episodes more than once.

Balrog
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I've actually been listening to fewer and fewer podcasts lately. I used to listen to a bunch, but now I've paired down to like 5 and a few of those are on thin ice for me....

I think podcasting has a lot of potential, but they all seem to be a bit same-y right now, especially in the gaming space.

Yep. I don't even listen to non-Retronauts gaming podcasts anymore. I get more lulz from the same content just bullshitting on XBL.

Sanagi
09-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Gaming podcasts in general are incredibly boring. It's like listening to D&D nerds talk about their favorite campaigns - and I have been a D&D nerd, but I don't expect anyone else to want to hear stories about cool stuff that I make-believed I did.*

*One time I stared down a T-Rex. It was awesome! And I tried to skin a necromancer to get the spells that were tattooed on his body, but the DM wouldn't let me.

Balrog
09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
The Penny Arcade podcast is an exception. I enjoy every episode of that one :I

estragon
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
The Penny Arcade podcast is an exception. I enjoy every episode of that one :I

I think this is a case, though, where rarity increases its value. I like it too, but I might get bored of it if they just pumped one out every week. (Or, hey, every strip.)

I don't know what their standard is for what does and doesn't become a podcast, but I appreciate that they have one.

dwolfe
09-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Idle Thumbs is my Brodeo methadone. Lots of PC exclusive talk. Even though I haven't been in that world for a while, I like to hear about the smaller indie PC projects that are always showing up on Steam and other download services.

It's possible that the podcast has crawled too far up its navel with inside jokes by this point, I can't really say. But when I started listening cold around episode 10, it wasn't a problem.

You don't get ALL the inside jokes if you don't but that's not the POINT.

The POINT is that Idle Thumbs is SO GOOD you want to start at the beginning so you don't miss one.

PS: even if you hate the inside jokes, do listen to their first PAX standalone. They interview/talk to Ron Gilbert, the PAX keynote speaker.

Calorie Mate
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I love Idle Thumbs and I don't play PC games at all. The Brodeo was the same way.

I should hang out with more PC gamers, is what I'm telling you.

Thraeg
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I've listened to a lot of gaming podcasts over the years, but a couple of months ago, I moved to a new place much closer to work, which cut my driving/podcast listening time way, way down, so I culled out most of the ones I had subscribed to. ListenUP, 1UP FM, RebelFM, Bombcast, Podtoid, Player One, CAGCast, Into the Score, Joystiq, IGN podcasts, PC Gamer Podcast (UK), and Gamers With Jobs all got the axe either at that time or before it.

I'm just tired of the whole "four guys sit around and rehash the week's gaming news and whatever new releases just came out" format, so unless either the personalities or the discussion topics are especially entertaining, I don't bother.

At this point, I'm down to just five that I'm actively listening to:

-Retronauts (Naturally, since it's the reason I started listening to podcasts in the first place, and is still always entertaining. I miss the old format, but understand why it had to be done. Everyone on this board probably already knows why it's so good, so no more needs to be said.)

-RetroforceGO (A bit less knowledgeable than RN, but makes up for it with enthusiasm, humor, and genuine love for games. The cast also has good chemistry and a nice mix of recognizable and easily distinguishable voices. They also do a weekly roundup of the games on all the download services, which I appreciate. They just hit 100 episodes, and sometimes get a bit too caught up in their in-jokes to be ideal for new listeners, though. I also always fast-forward through the terrible "intermission" segment.

-Rock, Paper, Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show (Helps ease my Brodeo withdrawal by featuring a mix of genuinely interesting and funny people talking about PC games among other topics. I only like half of the episodes, though, since each one only features two out of RPS's four writers, alternating between pairs. The ones with John Walker and Jim Rossignol are incredible, funny, and some of the best podcasts I've ever heard, while the ones with Kieron Gillen and Alec Meer I just can't get through. I enjoy their writing, but their British accents are much thicker, and it takes too much constant, focused brainpower for me to decode what they're saying.)

-Out of the Game (Also helps with Brodeo withdrawal by featuring Jeff and Shawn being their entertaining selves, though the episodes where one or both don't show up tend to drag.)

-A Life Well Wasted (There's nothing else like it, and it does a fascinating job of providing exploratory views of particular gaming subcultures. The editing/production values are mostly nice, but other times get overbearing and distract from the content).

Pretty much all of the ones I like have irregular or infrequent posting schedules (RFGo is usually the reliable weekly one, but it's going on hiatus for a while after hitting 100 episodes). Even with my shorter commute, the well is running dry, so I'm going to have to add another one to the mix. I'm thinking of trying Idle Thumbs, BitMob podcast, the Penny Arcade D&D ones, or Good Grief after the recommendations in this thread, or possibly Rum Doings (John Walker's new side project) or the EA podcast Jeff Green is doing. Has anybody listened to either of those yet?

McClain
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I've dropped most of my old gaming podcasts and added some new (to me) news and story shows.

My current lineup is:

The Bugle (The London Times' comedy news show with John Oliver. Pure awsome.)
ExtraLife Radio
Final Score (just one update months ago, but it's worth a listen)
The Moth (stories told on stage with no notes)
NPR Story of the Day
NPR Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me
Savage Love
This American Life
You Look Nice Today (mostly improvised comedy discussions)
ListenUp (On thin ice)
and of course, Retronauts.

Based on the above tastes, any recommendations?

pence
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
PS: even if you hate the inside jokes, do listen to their first PAX standalone. They interview/talk to Ron Gilbert, the PAX keynote speaker.

The Wizaaaaaaaaaaard has been a staple of the gaming table for months. If you have to start somewhere in the middle, episode 18, Citizen Killzone stands out in my memory. Maybe it's a good place to start!

Or you could just start at episode 5, The Wizard.

Merus
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Does that one have the Letter to Edge song in it? That's a fantastic song.

dwolfe
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Idle Thumbs, ..., the Penny Arcade D&D ones

Do try these. The PA DnD ones are great, there's been two 'sessions' and they're just starting the third. It's not about gaming current events, it's just listening in on a really fun/funny DnD session.

Also, all the Idle Thumbs songs are available for download off their site.

SpecBebop
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
A new season of Radiolab (radiolab.org) has just started up. Please go and listen to it, now now now!

Animate Nihilist
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I've dropped most of my old gaming podcasts and added some new (to me) news and story shows.

My current lineup is:

The Bugle (The London Times' comedy news show with John Oliver. Pure awsome.)
ExtraLife Radio
Final Score (just one update months ago, but it's worth a listen)
The Moth (stories told on stage with no notes)
NPR Story of the Day
NPR Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me
Savage Love
This American Life
You Look Nice Today (mostly improvised comedy discussions)
ListenUp (On thin ice)
and of course, Retronauts.

Based on the above tastes, any recommendations?

Jordan, Jesse, Go! is a two guys plus guest talking about stuff show, a bit similar to You Look Nice Today and The Bugle. They actually tour with You Look Nice Today as Monsters of Podcasting.

New Yorker: Fiction is one classic short story a month read and then discussed by a contemporary short fiction author. It's pretty great if you're into that kind of stuff.

The best way to describe Wiretap with Jonathan Goldstein is that it's This American Life but scripted and Canadian. Jonathan used to work for This American Life and still contributes frequently, so if you're a fan of that you may have heard some of his stuff before. It's not actually an official podcast as of yet, but you can listen on the cbc website or download episodes here. (http://supernintendochalmers.net/wiretap/)

Calorie Mate
09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
A new season of Radiolab (radiolab.org) has just started up. Please go and listen to it, now now now!

At dinner last night a good friend of mine mentioned this - turns out we've both been listening to RadioLab for about a year and somehow never figured out the other one did. This makes me happy.

McClain
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I would definitely NOT listen to the new Radiolab anywhere near dinner... It's kinda gross (but awesome!).

Vega
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm late to the party, but here's mine:

Anime World Order - Two guys and a gal talk about a lot of obscure and historical anime. Pretty well researched and kinda funny. I met their guy Daryl several time at Florida conventions, and they've even answered an e-mail and phone call of mine.

Get Equipped With Podcast - A Mega Man 2 remix band from Los Angeles talks about their lives in between concerts and recordings. Their album "Get Equipped" is nice, but the podcast is pretty random and off topic.

Gamecritics - Tries to be an intellectual discussion of games. Sometimes they get close to the games-as-art question. The personalities aren't always amusing, but they try to make every episode meaningful.

Inside Renewable Energy - Dry talk about getting money to do large clean energy projects. I usually only listen to a few minutes of each episode, but I keep the feed going because they cover a lot of different angles.

Others: Retronauts, CNN, WSJ, WUSF (Florida news from NPR). Used to get Kojima Productions Report.

McClain
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I just started listening to Fourcast (http://www.fourcastpodcast.com/), a futurist-lite show featuring podcasting/tech/geek all-stars.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm really digging Science Friday. It's the kind of podcast I was originally looking for when I stumbled upon Radio Lab.

Balrog
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Episode 27(DQ VIII) of Into the Score is pretty boss. Although it is making me jones for some DQ VIII.

Calorie Mate
10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I just downloaded that one last night - I should listen to it at some point today.

Which reminds me, I listened to Into the Score for the first time on Sunday and it is great and you guys should listen to it.

shivam
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
i need new general talky podcasts to listen to, now that wtp and 1up yours are down for the count.

Calorie Mate
10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Most people tend to go with the Giant Bombcast for that outside of 1up. I enjoyed it much more than 1up Yours, although I don't really listen to it anymore, either.

Sanagi
10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I just started listening to Fourcast (http://www.fourcastpodcast.com/), a futurist-lite show featuring podcasting/tech/geek all-stars.
It's been hit-and-miss for me so far. But I still look forward to it. I just downloaded the latest episode.

Other ones I've been listening to lately:
Stuff You Should Know has a huge archive of interesting topics to raid.
Wil Wheaton's podcasts featuring excerpts from his Trek book are pretty great.
You Look Nice Today continues to be the best thing.
Various C-Net podcasts, particularly Gadgettes, fill in whenever I need an extra podcast hit.
Richard Dawkins has a rarely-updated video podcast that's pretty cool, particularly the episodes in the Galapagos.

onimaruxlr
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
IDLE THUMBS!?!?

IDLE THUMBS CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-------------*

Merus
10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Nooooooooo why did they have to remind me why I like them in the same episode they announced they were winding it up

AJR
10-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, hearing that the idle thumbs podcast is (probably) ending sucks. I don't have high hopes for it coming back.

Posaune
10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh maaaaan. Now I'm just gonna have their 2 new podcasts sitting unlistened to because I'll be SAVING them for some reason.

Idle Thumbs along with Jordan Jessie Go! (outside of Retronauts, of course!) are probably my favorite podcasts that come out relatively frequently.

Swordian
10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Which reminds me, I listened to Into the Score for the first time on Sunday and it is great and you guys should listen to it.

I used to listen to this, but he has this tendency to go off on boring tangents and get basic facts wrong about the games he's looking at.

What we need is a Chiptuned podcast.

cool onion
10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
IDLE THUMBS!?!?

IDLE THUMBS CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-------------*

i really hope something can come along and fill the void quickly like idle thumbs did for gfw radio, but that's like expecting your football team to draft three straight hall of fame quarterbacks or something.

Adrenaline
10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
David Ellis has a new show coming in the Listen Up feed. Assuming you didn't listen to that show for Garnett.

ringworm
10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
David Ellis has a new show coming in the Listen Up feed. Assuming you didn't listen to that show for Garnett.
Did something happen with Garnett? I've been out of the 1UP Family loop for awhile now.

Adrenaline
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
He got a new job with Shacknews in LA.

The-Bavis
10-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, hearing that the idle thumbs podcast is (probably) ending sucks. I don't have high hopes for it coming back.

Wait, huh? I have their latest in the queue... this is big news! Sad news :(.

Willm
10-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Wait, huh? I have their latest in the queue... this is big news! Sad news :(.

Yeah, I haven't had time to listen to podcasts for a few weeks, so I'm out of the loop but...damn, that really sucks. Why is it ending? Are they just moving on to bigger and better things?

Reinforcements
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I haven't had time to listen to podcasts for a few weeks, so I'm out of the loop but...damn, that really sucks. Why is it ending? Are they just moving on to bigger and better things?
Nick got hired as a community manager for Bethesda and I guess he's moving? (I don't remember.) I'm pretty disappointed, and I hope their forum explodes enough to convince them to keep it up. They did say that Idle Thumbs MIGHT live on in some format, but I want my podcast, dammit!

Calorie Mate
10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, this is incredibly sad news. Idle Thumbs is by far my favorite podcast out there. :(

I mean, obviously I'm happy for Nick, but...

The-Bavis
10-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll miss Nick, but can't Hot Scoops just step in? Heck, maybe I should just go listen to this thing... or go to their site and stop asking questions.

SilentSnake
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
4 guys 1 up? (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640)

R.R. Bigman
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't know how TT feels about G4 but they have cool video podcast on their website called Feedback (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/tag/5635/Feedback.html) It stars Adam Sessler and former 1up regulars Andrew Phister and Patrick Klepeck. It also helps that from the episodes on their page it looks like the shows aren't ungodly long like a lot of podcasts out there.

AJR
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I listened to 4 guys 1 up yesterday. It was pretty good, although having Tim Schafer in their first episode probably helped a lot. I also couldn't stand Listen Up, so almost anything would be an improvement.

estragon
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
4 guys 1 up? (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640)

Is . . . is this an erection reference?

Whenever this was mentioned as a name on 1up Yours everyone would giggle about it. Can someone please explain to me the non-obnoxious reason to pick this name?

Please tell me that I have a filthy mind and there's some explanation of why they all giggle about this name for some non boner related reason.

Reinforcements
10-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Is . . . is this an erection reference?

Whenever this was mentioned as a name on 1up Yours everyone would giggle about it. Can someone please explain to me the non-obnoxious reason to pick this name?

Please tell me that I have a filthy mind and there's some explanation of why they all giggle about this name for some non boner related reason.
It's a reference to an internet video called "2 girls 1 cup" AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT.

IT'S GROSS DON'T LOOK IT UP.
IT INVOLVES POOP.

estragon
10-27-2009, 07:07 AM
It's a reference to an internet video called "2 girls 1 cup" AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT.

IT INVOLVES POOP.

Oh.

Well, since I have never seen that and never will, that's less annoying to me.

Calorie Mate
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I think it's actually MORE juvenile than what you were suggesting, though.

The-Bavis
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM

IT INVOLVES POOP.

I always wondered why this was funny as well. I didn't get it. Thanks for the enlightenment. I decided a long time ago to never see that video.

Parish
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Just in case anyone doubted me, I have registered my protest about that name several times now. But, it's David's call. And my choice for the RPG podcast's name is pretty goofy and self-indulgent, too, so I guess I can't say too much.