PDA

View Full Version : X-Files: I want to have a better subtitle

Paul le Fou
07-22-2008, 03:19 PM
So this is coming out on friday and I realize that I don't know anything about it. Judging from the trailers it looks more like "old school" X-files, i.e., free from the conspiracy/alien bullshit that dominated the first movie and ruined the show in the first place. But I'm not sure.

I don't know whether to look forward to this, reject it outright, or simply wait and see. Does anyone actually know anything about this movie?

Sarcasmorator
07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I know it was made on the cheap with a script banged out just before the writers strike last year, so I'm guessing it won't be great. But I'll see it anyway. Because we have free movie money.

Nicholai
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
All I know is that the pre-release word is that the film is bad. Very bad. Killing the already on life-support franchise. Of course I don't know this for myself and what I've read online may be way off base but I am tempering my excitement.

Calorie Mate
07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I've never been big on X Files, so I'm wondering: what alien conspiracey b.s. happened, and how did it ruin the show?

Mightyblue
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Basically that the aliens wanted to colonize and terraform the Earth and us with the complicit help of world governments and mysterious and powerful people.

Nicholai
07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I've never been big on X Files, so I'm wondering: what alien conspiracey b.s. happened, and how did it ruin the show?

From what I've heard the new film has nothing to do with the mythology of the show at all and is simply a one-off story. I've also read that it is badly written and that there is little chemistry between Mulder and Scully any longer. I'm still seeing it, but I haven't read or seen one good piece of pre-release talk for the new movie.

Guy
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Basically that the aliens wanted to colonize and terraform the Earth and us with the complicit help of world governments and mysterious and powerful people.

So, like Half-Life 2.

Pheeel
07-22-2008, 04:05 PM

The problem with the conspiracy "arc" was that it went on for years and didn't make any damn sense. I think they were operating on the principle that people would keep watching if they prolonged the ongoing mystery as long as possible, which is exactly what they did, adding more and more unlikely twists until no-one could possibly hope to grasp what it was all about. And when they finally did provide "answers"(like the explanation of what happened to Mulder's sister, which was finally resolved in Season 7) everyone was past caring. I don't even remember the stuff about terraforming, although by the last season I'd all but given up on it anyway.

sraymonds
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I remember when X-Files was about the monster of the week. Those were good times.

Dizzy
07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
This looks like a total bore. Unless that's the point...

Brickroad
07-22-2008, 04:18 PM
The problem with the conspiracy "arc" was that it went on for years and didn't make any damn sense. I think they were operating on the principle that people would keep watching if they prolonged the ongoing mystery as long as possible, which is exactly what they did, adding more and more unlikely twists until no-one could possibly hope to grasp what it was all about. And when they finally did provide "answers"(like the explanation of what happened to Mulder's sister, which was finally resolved in Season 7) everyone was past caring. I don't even remember the stuff about terraforming, although by the last season I'd all but given up on it anyway.

Thank you for describing EXACTLY why I won't watch Lost until the series is over and done with.

Calorie Mate
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you for describing EXACTLY why I won't watch Lost until the series is over and done with.

Fair point, but this feeling is a) why everyone generally dislikes season 2, and b) why the show has been so good the last seaosn and a half (because they have a planned number of episodes to wrap everything up now). Definitely the way to do something.

sraymonds
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Picking Robert Patrick over Bruce Campbell as Scully's new partner was another strike against the later seasons.

Stiv
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Picking Robert Patrick over Bruce Campbell as Scully's new partner was another strike against the later seasons.

There was nothing wrong with Robert Patrick. He's the T-1000, dude!

Also I really WANT TO BELIEVE that this movie will be good. I guess the subtitle is appropriate in that way and I know I'll be going to see it even if it sucks dick because I'm a sucker for more X-Files.

I mean come on. X-Files! Short of those few episodes of Twin Peaks it's the only good thing David Duchovny has ever been involved in and for some reason I like him anyway. Maybe it's his hair?

Sarcasmorator
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
it's the only good thing David Duchovny has ever been involved in

Uh, sounds like you need to see a little movie called "Zoolander."

teekun
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Uh, sounds like you need to see a little movie called "Zoolander."

Duchovny in Zoolander was the greatest surprise appearance ever.

sraymonds
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
There was nothing wrong with Robert Patrick. He's the T-1000, dude!

He ain't the Bruce.

Sven
07-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Someone not knowing the X-Files was about an alien conspiracy makes me feel old. There was a while where it was one of the biggest shows on TV, and everyone made alien / conspiracy jokes about it.

That said, the one-offs were always more fun to watch, even if they pissed off the online fans to the point where they complained about them so much that the writers tied EVERYTHING in with the overall storyline.... which backfired as every casual fan of the show bailed out.

Stiv
07-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Duchovny in Zoolander was the greatest surprise appearance ever.

I guess despite my general dislike for everything Ben Stiller has ever been involved in I need to see this now.

ALSO: FAVORITE EPISODE OF THE X-FILES (let's relive the good times): The hurricane one with the sea monster, which I think was season 3 or 4? A close second is the one with the teachers that are SECRETLY A BUNCH OF SATANISTS.

Kishi
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I like the one where Scully sings a Three Dog Night song.

juanfrugalj
07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I liked the one where some kids found a cave that gave them super speed, and one of them smashed a cop's face with his own flashlight. That was cool.

Sheana
07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Now I'm flashing back to that song about the girl who loved David Duchovny. And how my parents would shoo us kids out of the living room so they could watch X-Files.

I was amazed when I saw a billboard for this movie seemingly out-of-the-blue the other day. It just seems way, way too after the fact.

Parish
07-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I guess despite my general dislike for everything Ben Stiller has ever been involved in I need to see this now.
Despite its pedigree, Zoolander is kind of brilliant. Probably because only Ben Stiller is over-the-top stupid and everyone else is pretty much constantly exasperated with him. And yeah, Duchovny was perfect.

reibeatall
07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
The best episode of the X-Files was called "Home", and it was about inbreeding and motherly rape and deformed babies. It was so edgy at the time, and it actually had a very limited airing.

Ample Vigour
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
The best episode of the X-Files was called "Home", and it was about inbreeding and motherly rape and deformed babies. It was so edgy at the time, and it actually had a very limited airing.

The Mayberry injokes were what set that episode above and beyond.

Also, the Barney Fife wannabe got his head chopped clean off by a booby trap.

Red Hedgehog
07-22-2008, 10:22 PM
My favorite X-Files episode was the one with Alex Trebek.

Ample Vigour
07-22-2008, 10:27 PM

I can't believe I forgot that one. I'm changing my vote to this, or maybe the one with the circus freaks.

I CAN'T DECIDE

EDIT: Is it just me, or were the best X-Files episodes the ones that had nothing at all to do with the patchwork alien conspiracy storyline?

Mazian
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
EDIT: Is it just me, or were the best X-Files episodes the ones that had nothing at all to do with the patchwork alien conspiracy storyline?
It's not just you. It's absolute, indisputable truth.

Stiv
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Holy SHIT no WAY I have to know which season this was in because I'm downloading that episode pretty much like right now.

Also I observed that nobody is fond of the mythology episodes as a "favorite" but kind of took that for granted. I mean really, does anybody like the X-Files mythology? Anyone?

Paul le Fou
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Is it just me, or were the best X-Files episodes the ones that had nothing at all to do with the patchwork alien conspiracy storyline?

the conspiracy/alien bullshit that dominated the first movie and ruined the show in the first place.

And others!

Pheeel
07-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Glen Morgan and James Wong, ladies and gentlemen! Some would argue(i.e, me) they were the best writers the series ever had, and it's no surprise it fell apart when they weren't around any more.

Actually, season 4 was probably about as far as a TV show has ever gone in terms of really dark, fucked-up shit, including an episode with Dr Romano from ER as a cancer-eating mutant, and "Never Again", in which Scully goes off the rails and gets a tattoo. And then gets terminal cancer.

DANoWAR
07-23-2008, 02:13 AM
I liked the episode where Mulder is constantly stuffing himself with apple pie, ranging from one little piece to dozens on a plate.

BodhiTraveller
07-23-2008, 02:27 AM
I mean really, does anybody like the X-Files mythology? Anyone?

I am a huge X-files dork, and I actually enjoyed the earlier mythology bits where it seemed like they knew what they were doing [before season five, mostly]. I think one of the factors that make it unsatisfying is they kept returning in later seasons to muck up earlier things in the continuity which make things seem cheap and pointless.

It was entertaining when it felt like we were learning bits and pieces about the shadowy men who seemed to be pulling the strings, and that they were depicted as layovers from the cold war era who just sort of fell into the alien thing instead of weird supernatural monsters who can't be killed [how many times did Cigarette Smoking Man die? three? four?].

The crowning glory was sometime in season seven when they decided that Mulder's sister magically TURNED INTO STARDUST, and not all that other stuff.

Also, best episode: 'Arcadia,' where a gated community has enchanted a trash monster to enforce their rules of conduct through murder.

DANoWAR
07-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Also, best episode: 'Arcadia,' where a gated community has enchanted a trash monster to enforce their rules of conduct through murder.

You know, this could really be a Doctor Who episode...

Sheana
07-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Murderous Inbreds and Community Trash Monster were two of the few episodes I managed to catch back in the day. I was interested in the show but danged if my folks weren't strict about TV back then.

sraymonds
07-23-2008, 05:03 AM
I liked the episode where Mulder is constantly stuffing himself with apple pie, ranging from one little piece to dozens on a plate.

I think this is the one that had Alex Trebek in it.

Season 3's Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"

Balrog
07-23-2008, 06:01 AM
I remember when X-Files was about the monster of the week. Those were good times.

This, a thousand times over.

Sven
07-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Best episode: when they investigate a research colony and are terrorised by killer cockroaches... and then, in the middle of a random scene, have a cockroach crawl across the TV screen. I didn't sleep for a couple of days after that one.

Nicholai
07-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Best episode: "Eve" the one with evil little girls. I don't know why but that one has always been my favorite. I also really enjoy "Jose Chung's from Outer Space." Too bad the show went off the rails towards the end and Chris Carter still sticks to his guns that the final 4 seasons had some of the best stuff and that Dogget and Reyes could have went on for years without Mulder and Scully.

sraymonds
07-23-2008, 06:32 AM
The worst thing about the X-Files was Chris Carter. Has he done anything else worth noting lately?

Answer: NO

Merus
07-23-2008, 07:43 AM
I've run the readings, and I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about this film:

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q383/Merusdraconis/giveafuckometer.gif

Secret Punch
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
I never watched it in a dedicated way because my parents wouldn't let me until it was too far in for me to make much sense of it, but I actually would've been bored to tears by the show if it weren't for the conspiracy. I'm not saying it was well-done or anything -- it's just that the monsters were never, in my opinion, that interesting or well-designed, so what got me excited about an episode was the atmosphere of paranoia. The more there was to be paranoid about, the more I liked it.

The problem for me was honestly that they tried to make sense of it. The more they explained the dumber it got. It would've been better if weird, scary shit was happening periodically and somehow it tied in but just as they were starting to have some idea how everything went insane and the end of the series was either them saving the world by doing something unimaginably horrifying that they didn't properly understand as almost-campy flying saucers took position over every major city, or for them to actually lose.

Also: This (http://muldersbigadventure.com/) doesn't update enough, but it's funny.

Pheeel
07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Best episode: "Eve" the one with evil little girls. I don't know why but that one has always been my favorite.

Know what's freaky? I watched that episode today, because I hadn't seen it for about seven years. Why did I chose that one?

It...it's like...

WE JUST KNEW.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9366/cap010pw3.png

Red Hedgehog
07-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I think this is the one that had Alex Trebek in it.

Season 3's Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"

Yes! That episode was so good. It got me to finish watching that season before I finally gave up on the show.

I gave up on X-Files for two reasons. One has already been mentioned: the writers didn't have any sweet clue where they were going and it showed. They just kept adding and changing things in the story and it became ridiculous and convoluted. The other is that the X-Files worked a lot better when there was some doubt as to what was going on. You know, when Scully could actually be the skeptic that her character purported to me. The mystery is what made the show so much more interesting to me in its first two seasons. But by the end of season two they were already like, "Yeah aliens are among us and want to take us over and have kidnapped people and, etc etc." without any subtlely. One of my favorite moments was when Skinner finally took a stand and showed this by pointing Cigarette Smoking Man to the 'No Smoking' sign on his desk. This was great, but it should have been done at the beginning of the final season of the show, not in the second season.

Savathun
07-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I didn't really like the conspiracy stuff that much. I liked the episodes with the aliens before they started explaining them, their motives, and how they fit in with the government. Then I lost interest. The "monster of the week" stuff was kind of fun, too. Some of my favorite episodes are those kind, like the one with "Big Blue" or the really disgusting, unpleasant episode where they spend the whole show being slowly digested by a giant underground plant, and everything that happens is them hallucinating while they die.

This movie doesn't look too interesting, but I can't really tell what's going on. I guess they're working with a psychic to find lost people or something? What bothered me about the trailer is that they play that "intense action" music over scenes where NO ACTION IS HAPPENING. Watch the trailer again. The biggest "thrill" is Mulder running through traffic.

EDIT: But the episode that REALLY freaked me out and still bothers me to this day is the one where the boyfriend and girlfriend upload their conciousness into the internet or... whatever. That's not the important part. The important part is that Mulder crawls into that nasty trailer by himself and it's basically techno-hell in there. Little robots wander around, there's wires and smoke and things to shock you. Oh, and a dessicated corpse hooked up to some machinery.

Then Mulder gets jacked into the little virtual reality thing, which amuses itself by amputating his limbs.

I still can't listen to "Twilight Time" without getting creeped out.

Nicholai
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Know what's freaky? I watched that episode today, because I hadn't seen it for about seven years. Why did I chose that one?

It...it's like...

WE JUST KNEW.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9366/cap010pw3.png

YES! I cannot explain it, but I always loved that episode. I wished that they would have brought the little girls back later and they could have been slightly older. Definitely my favorite episode.

wahoninja
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
When did you stop watching? Season 6 for me. Every other episode that season had a "jokey" tone (but I did loved the Titanic episode where every scene was shot in one take). After season 6, I'd watch it here and then, but I wouldn't unplug me phone like I used to.

I'm gonna watch this movie, but I know there's no way it can be good. Or decent. Or tolerable. Damn it.

Ample Vigour
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
When did you stop watching?

The movie killed all interest I had in the show. I just moved on.

Balrog
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Favorite episodes? I don't know the name so bear with:
1. Tapeworm guy
2. Sideshow
3. Satan Worshipping PTA

ohGr
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
My favourite episode of the X-Files is, surprisingly enough, an ep from the final season called Improbable. It was a bizarre, quirky little episode with Burt Reynolds as, essentially, God. Weird and hilarious.

Matchstick
07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
My wife and I started watching X-Files right at the beginning, but got more and more disgusted with the way the mythology bits were treated. As many here have already said, it became increasingly obvious that there was no overarching plan and that as a result, they had to keep revising things as they went along. How many times did they go through the whole "Wait, everything you've been told is bullshit. This is what is really going on."? Way too many for us. We got off the merry-go-round the season before the movie came out. We saw the movie and it just cemented our opinion that it was a lost cause. That tendency to keep screwing with the viewer (and not in a good way) caused us to more often enjoy the stand-alone episodes as the seasons progressed.

Favorite episode: probably The Erlenmeyer Flask. The final bit of that one was such a rug-puller that it grabbed us hard and kept us watching the next few seasons.

Pheeel
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
When did you stop watching? Season 6 for me. Every other episode that season had a "jokey" tone (but I did loved the Titanic episode where every scene was shot in one take). After season 6, I'd watch it here and then, but I wouldn't unplug me phone like I used to.

Season 7 for me. I basically went from being completely obsessed with the show to not caring about it at all over the course of that one season.

Wasn't there an episode written by Gillian Anderson in which Scully spends the whole time walking round in slow motion while Moby plays on the soundtrack? I didn't dream that, did I?

I think the post-Season 5 move from Vancouver to L.A. definitely had a negative effect on the atmosphere of the show - the always gloomy, overcast skies added immeasurably to the downbeat feel of the early seasons. Constant bright sunshine did not suit the series at all. Not one bit.

Sven
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Post-movie season killed it for me, as well - I thought it started really strong (that Titanic episode is just about the best-directed TV episode I've ever seen), but by the end it became apparent that the reason they didn't give any answers in the movie was because they didn't have any idea what the hell was going on, either.

After that, I stopped caring, and with Sports Night debuting the next season X-Files wasn't the best-written show on TV any more.

Stiv
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I think I ended up watching it religiously until the season when Duchovny left, at which point I no longer cared but would still tune in from time to time. I forget if I bothered watching the series finale or not.

Merus
07-24-2008, 12:25 AM
So, there was a review of this in the paper.

Apparently there are no aliens in it, and the plot is described as a self-contained thriller about a pedophile psychic priest played by Billy Connolly.

Guys, I'm sold.

Savathun
07-24-2008, 01:40 AM

Apparently there are no aliens in it, and the plot is described as a self-contained thriller about a pedophile psychic priest played by Billy Connolly.

Guys, I'm sold.

That was Billy Connolly!? I didn't realize that! Maybe I WILL go see this movie.

sraymonds
07-24-2008, 05:02 AM

Guys, I'm sold.

You didn't say if the review was good or bad.

Merus
07-24-2008, 06:39 AM
They gave it three stars, but I thought that the 'this is a self-contained movie' when the entire thread has been about how the best X-Files episodes are about self-contained stories where Mulder believes something silly and Scully is all 'come on Mulder, have some damn scepticism' and then it turns out Mulder's right anyway would be enough to communicate that it might not be a terrible abortion of a film.

But it also has Billy Connolly as a psychic pedophilic priest. So I'm willing to forgive any other faults because that's so awesome.

valhalladeath
07-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Most of the reviews I have read have been favorable for the movie. The ones that didn't like the movie faulted it for being too slow. Did they ever see the show? This isn't 24.

I, for one, will be at the theater day one for this.

ajr82
07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
If you really want to give yourself a brain hemmhorage, try re-watching the earlier mythology episodes (say, everything before 'Anasazi', the second-season finale), and try to figure out how they make any sense at all in light of the plot as it was revealed later. Good times!

Ample Vigour
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
If you really want to give yourself a brain hemmhorage, try re-watching the earlier mythology episodes (say, everything before 'Anasazi', the second-season finale), and try to figure out how they make any sense at all in light of the plot as it was revealed later. Good times!

Those were the best alien episodes, IMO. No faceless neck-stabbing humanoids to keep straight, just motherfucking UFOs.

ajr82
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Those were the best alien episodes, IMO. No faceless neck-stabbing humanoids to keep straight, just motherfucking UFOs.

I think the best alien episodes were the the three at the end of the second/beginning of the third season, where Mulder gets blown up in the boxcar only not, they toss is some Nazis and that cool abandoned mine. That said, I even liked the bee husbandry thing at the beginning of the fourth season, and didn't really completely fall off the conspiracy train until around they started bringing in the whole "rebel aliens" thing.

Wolfgang
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
'this is a self-contained movie' when the entire thread has been about how the best X-Files episodes are about self-contained stories where Mulder believes something silly and Scully is all 'come on Mulder, have some damn scepticism' and then it turns out Mulder's right anyway

Sigh. THANK you.

I've been refraining from the discussion because as big a fan as I was in thee olde-den dayes, (I even had the Mulder and Scully movie toys!) the last two seasons killed it. The movie was... okay... but I haven't had the desire to go rewatching the series. Maybe the new movie will fix that?

sraymonds
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
This thread has me wanting to play the X-Files game.

Sheana
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Most of the reviews I have read have been favorable for the movie. The ones that didn't like the movie faulted it for being too slow. Did they ever see the show? This isn't 24.

I, for one, will be at the theater day one for this.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of good reviews too. Color me surprised, and curious.

sraymonds
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
The review at CHUD ain't too generous. (http://chud.com/articles/articles/15692/1/REVIEW-THE-X-FILES---FIGHT-THE-FUTURE/Page1.html)

reibeatall
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Guys the walmart next to my work has every season of X-Files for twenty bucks a piece. If I were to buy only one, which one should I get?

Sven
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Guys the walmart next to my work has every season of X-Files for twenty bucks a piece. If I were to buy only one, which one should I get?

Go with the first one - anything else and you'll be playing too much catch-up with the arc plot.

Stiv
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
The review at CHUD ain't too generous. (http://chud.com/articles/articles/15692/1/REVIEW-THE-X-FILES---FIGHT-THE-FUTURE/Page1.html)

I usually trust Devin implicitly because he's never once steered me wrong and shares almost exactly the same opinions I do about film, but on the other hand, it's the fucking X-Files, dude! The setup sounds like it could be any kind of quality, but I might actually just wait for this one on DVD or something. Somehow I think it'd feel more appropriate to watch it on my TV, even if this hurts the chances of X-Files 3 something awful.

chud_666
07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I usually trust Devin implicitly because he's never once steered me wrong and shares almost exactly the same opinions I do about film, but on the other hand, it's the fucking X-Files, dude! The setup sounds like it could be any kind of quality, but I might actually just wait for this one on DVD or something. Somehow I think it'd feel more appropriate to watch it on my TV, even if this hurts the chances of X-Files 3 something awful.

I like Devin because there isnt any hyperbole and hype, unlike Harry at AICN. So this review bummed me out. I was getting pumped

BodhiTraveller
07-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Just got back from a midnight screening, folks!

The movie was good, very good. Not great - and not great for the reason that it feels very much like a long television episode.

The actual 'case' is somewhat weak, with an insufficient amount of time dedicated to the reveal. However, there are a lot of satisfying character moments, and a bunch of neat stuff for fans.

Some Spoilery things:

Minus points for each time a character says, "I want to believe." Ugh!

Five times as many bonus points for a warm and honest depiction of Mulder and Scully's life together that doesn't come off as overly saccharine.

Sadly, when I said it was a movie with great character moments, I meant for the old characters. The new characters are one dimensional and disappointing:

A character is introduced who is a young female FBI agent, and it is implied that she has her sights set on Mulder, and then things between him and Scully start to get rocky - and the new character is then very unsatisfying killed before Mulder has to make any tough decisions. What a missed opportunity.

There is another FBI agent who fills the role of not buying into any of this paranormal hokum, and being antagonistic towards Mulder - and he stays that way through the entire movie. His character never does anything significant, and is only there to bitch and complain.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie and will be picking it up on DVD.

Kishi
07-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Does the movie feature the ghosts of the Lone Gunmen? This is a crucial factor for me.

Sheana
07-25-2008, 05:04 AM
They killed the Lone Gunmen? *checks* Godammit they did. That ticks me off.

juanfrugalj
07-25-2008, 07:12 AM
They stole the Power Coins from Zordon? *checks* Godammit they did. That ticks me off.

On the final episode of their own series, no less.

Pseudonym
07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Actually it happened in a X-files episode that wrapped up their series. Do you know what the title of that episode was? "Jump the Shark", I swear to god.

Their series broke my heart, really. The two Lone Gunmen episodes on X-Files were pretty awesome. Why couldn't their TV show be like that? However, the first episode of their show became pretty creepy due to real world events later.

sraymonds
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Their series broke my heart, really. The two Lone Gunmen episodes on X-Files were pretty awesome. Why couldn't their TV show be like that? However, the first episode of their show became pretty creepy due to real world events later.

I only saw the first episode of their show, so how did the show become creepy?

Pseudonym
07-25-2008, 07:41 AM
I only saw the first episode of their show, so how did the show become creepy?

Well, the series as a whole wasn't so creepy, just goofy and stupid really. (Actually, I kinda liked the first episode.) But if you remember in the first episode the bad guy's plot was to fly a plane into the World Trade Center. This was pre 9/11. I think any future viewings would feel a bit uncomfortable.

Kirin
07-25-2008, 07:44 AM
The rest of the LG show didn't become creepy, the *pilot* became creepy due to the plot about flying airplanes into buildings.

But yeah, the LG "wrap-up" pissed me the hell off. The spin-off may not have turned out so great, but really, there are other ways to deal with it.

Edit: beaten to the explanation there.

Pseudonym
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
The rest of the LG show didn't become creepy, the *pilot* became creepy due to the plot about flying airplanes into buildings.

But yeah, the LG "wrap-up" pissed me the hell off. The spin-off may not have turned out so great, but really, there are other ways to deal with it.

Edit: beaten to the explanation there.

And honestly, I don't remember it being really necessary for them to die to save the world. Even if it was, did we really need to kill all 3? Shouldn't one of them made the attempt to push the others out of the airlock? So what if they got an Arlington burial. I don't care! They died stupid. And calling the damn episode "Jump the Shark" really rubs salt in the wound. (I really liked the Gunmen, if you can tell.)

More nerd rage about X-Files: Say, remember the episode of X-Files written by William Gibson? The one about video games? God, that sucked so hard. I think it was supposed to be about virtual reality, but really it seemed more about lazer tag.

reibeatall
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Go with the first one - anything else and you'll be playing too much catch-up with the arc plot.

But I remember just about everything from the various plots that they have around. I'm not an X-Files newb, I was a religious watcher up until Mulder left the first time.

Pheeel
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
And honestly, I don't remember it being really necessary for them to die to save the world. Even if it was, did we really need to kill all 3? Shouldn't one of them made the attempt to push the others out of the airlock? So what if they got an Arlington burial. I don't care! They died stupid. And calling the damn episode "Jump the Shark" really rubs salt in the wound. (I really liked the Gunmen, if you can tell.)

More nerd rage about X-Files: Say, remember the episode of X-Files written by William Gibson? The one about video games? God, that sucked so hard. I think it was supposed to be about virtual reality, but really it seemed more about lazer tag.

Oh good god, that was a stinker. An embarrasment from start to finish. I don't hold Gibson responsible, though, as that episode had Carter's grubby fingerprints all over it. I'm willing to bet only the tiniest portion of Gibson's script actually made it to the screen, just like the episode Carter "wrote with" Stephen King. I have a hard time believing the man who practically invented the cyberspace genre would come up with something so utterly facile.

wahoninja
07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
It's an mmmm-okay movie, like a ** out of ***** episode, but I was (hopelessly) hoping it had the chance to be great. Did you stay through the credits? Spoiler: Shia swinging with monkeys is not the cheesiest scene of the summer. It's an overhead shot of a rowboat with Mulder and Scully decked out in beachwear, Mulder rowin' along. The camera flies upward while Mulder and Scully wave good bye to you.

But if you loved it back in the day, you're gonna watch this. Ran into lots of folks last night whom I didn't expect to be X-Files fans. And anyway, Scully is still hot (though I'm not so partial to her long hair).

ajr82
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
But I remember just about everything from the various plots that they have around. I'm not an X-Files newb, I was a religious watcher up until Mulder left the first time.

In that case, I'd say either Season 3 or Season 4.

Season 3 starts off with probably my favourite of the alien conspiracy episodes (Blessing Way/Paperclip, despite the somewhat cheesy faux-Native American spirituality, have probably the most palpable sense of danger the show ever managed in the mythology), the first appearence of the Black Oil when it was cool, rather than annoying, and a large chunk of my favourite stand-alones (Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Coprophages, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Grotesque, Wetwired). The problem with Season 3 is that there are an awful lot of very forgettable episodes, and the season finale is pretty limp.

Season 4 has Scully's cancer, which I thought was a really strong storyline, particularly Memtori Mori. It has has probably the strongest average for good episodes among the standalones, and some really interesting and atypical episodes, like The Field Where I Died or Never Again. It also has Home, which for a lot of people represents the height of the show's creepiness, and Tempis Fugit/Max, which is probably the most coherent and self-contained two-parter they ever managed. The big problem with Season Four is that it really represents the point where the mythology starts going off the rails as a whole, though the individual mythology episodes are still pretty strong, generally.

BodhiTraveller
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
The following characters do not appear in the movie:

The Lone Gunmen

The Cigarette Smoking Man

Agents Doggett or Reyes

Any of Scully's family

Mulder and Scully's son

sraymonds
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Alright, that means they brought back the Well-Manicured Man!

Christ, who thinks up these names?

Pseudonym
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I would have loved to have seen the top two, but I understand that's a bit of a tall order. (With them being dead and all.) I will admit if they were in it that I would be a bit more likely to go. The others I could care less about. Is Skinner in it? I like Skinner. (Holy shit. Is he the only supporting character that I really liked that isn't dead? God, they even killed the little dog too!)

juanfrugalj
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
though I'm not so partial to her long hair

I am! Honestly, I could never understand what was so great about that lady when she had short hair.

Jeanie
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I am! Honestly, I could never understand what was so great about that lady when she had short hair.

Everything below the hair maybe?

sraymonds
07-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Short hair can help frame the face.

juanfrugalj
07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Everything below the hair maybe?

Her cothing didn't help much there. Suits are boring.

Dizzy
07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I didn't see this movie yet, nor plan to...

...but did anyone notice on the X-Files soundtrack for Fight the Future, Track 14 has a spooky monologue that reveals everything Hideo Kojima style (or should I say the other way around?) about the inner and outer workings of the X-Files storyline? I thought that was pretty neat, and a kind of aural Cliff Notes for someone who didn't follow the show religiously or even on and off throughout its run.

Stiv
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't hold Gibson responsible, though, as that episode had Carter's grubby fingerprints all over it.

I've been over this before, but keep in mind that Gibson wrote the script for Johnny Mnemonic and that fucking terrible Alien 3 script. He's got no actual talent when it comes to things like that (and debatably little talent at writing anything). I'm sure that Carter fucked things up even more, but I'm willing to bet the original script wasn't a shining diamond.

Also I think I'm skipping the movies this weekend because August is shaping up to be a goddamn BITCH in terms of great shit. Sorry X-Files, I won't be contributing to what will probably be a sub-20 weekend take.

Savathun
07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I think the best alien episodes were the the three at the end of the second/beginning of the third season, where Mulder gets blown up in the boxcar only not, they toss is some Nazis and that cool abandoned mine. That said, I even liked the bee husbandry thing at the beginning of the fourth season, and didn't really completely fall off the conspiracy train until around they started bringing in the whole "rebel aliens" thing.

That abandoned mine scene is probably my favorite in the entire show. When the lights go out and Scully is alone, then the weird alien children run past her while that scary "music" plays.

It's perfect.

There are other episodes and scenes I like, but nothing ever came close to that for me.

I don't care what the explanation is, what those things are in the dark or why they're there. It's just disturbing and fun all on its own.

Wolfgang
07-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Guess what? The movie is awesome. It really feels like an episode of the show set ten years later. There's exposition, but it's worked into the movie rather than having had awkward chunks set aside for it. There's enough callbacks to the series to appease fans but nothing that made me cringe. And there's just the right amount of character cameos. Plus the monster of the week twist/reveal is pretty damn cool, if a little bit implausible.

I liked it! I felt good at the end. It could have maybe had 10-12 minutes shaved off, but for the most part those are moments that serve to confirm "yep, this is The X-Files". everything is grey and overcast and for the most part just feels right. Especially Mulder and Scully - they really look like they've aged, that their FBI work put them through the fucking wringer. They're not unattractive by any means, but you can really see each of those ten years in their faces.

ringworm
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Saw it today. It could have been worse I guess. I found a lot of the dialogue to be poorly written, and they hit Scully's faith way too hard. Also there was at least one painfully bad joke moment involving pictures on the wall at the FBI. Just awful.

It felt to me like one of the mediocre episodes from the first several seasons, except twice as long and with much of the sexual tension evaporated.